PDA

View Full Version : HB2 Repeal is Passed

kAzE
03-30-2017, 03:02 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/30/politics/north-carolina-hb2-agreement/

Pretty big news for North Carolina. I don't praise the NCAA often, but their role in this bit of legislation is commendable. If only this had happened 3 months ago . . . maybe we could have played South Carolina in Greensboro and not Greenville . . .

FerryFor50
03-30-2017, 03:06 PM
It's not really a full repeal. It's a repeal with conditions. For example, it's a reset to before Charlotte made their law - and Charlotte isn't allowed to make new laws in the same vein for 3 years.

CDu
03-30-2017, 03:09 PM
It's not really a full repeal. It's a repeal with conditions. For example, it's a reset to before Charlotte made their law - and Charlotte isn't allowed to make new laws in the same vein for 3 years.

Nor any other municipality in the state.

kAzE
03-30-2017, 03:13 PM

Well, regardless of the details, the goal of this repeal is clear: to undo the economic damage that has been an unexpected side effect of the bill. The NCAA would not consider North Carolina for any events, and the NBA even cancelled the All-Star game that was scheduled to be in Charlotte.

The only reason this thread has a place here is because it affects Duke's basketball program. If we can play NCAA tournament games in state, that's huge.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 03:19 PM
It is just another weird step in this mess.

BLPOG
03-30-2017, 03:44 PM
Can this thread be closed?

Tripping William
03-30-2017, 03:53 PM
Anyone paying attention will see all of it as political grandstanding all the way around.

Probably including the NCAA. I'm not at all persuaded that this legislative move will suffice for the NCAA (and, later, for the ACC) to bring tournament games back to North Carolina. It *might* do so, but I'm unconvinced of that at the moment.

Olympic Fan
03-30-2017, 03:54 PM
Can this thread be closed?

Please don't ... but that means we've got to stop debating the merits of the law and the NCAA reaction to it.

The issue is vitally important to Duke basketball ... how much difference does it make if the NCAA's were in Greensboro, instead of Greenville?

Charlotte is an NCAA site in 2018 ... the NCAA is about to award sites for the next six years -- if they accept this "repeal" will get a bunch of North Carolina sites and the '18 first/second round stay in Charlotte.

So can we limit this thread to just discussing the news -- and leave off the commentary. Obviously, some of us hate HB2 ... and some hate the NCAA for using that as a reason to boycott the state. We know the issues, but the news is what we should talk about -- will the NCAA accept the compromise? Will the protest of various groups keep the ban in force?

Those issues ought to be reported on this thread.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 03:58 PM
Please don't ... but that means we've got to stop debating the merits of the law and the NCAA reaction to it.

The issue is vitally important to Duke basketball ... how much difference does it make if the NCAA's were in Greensboro, instead of Greenville?

Charlotte is an NCAA site in 2018 ... the NCAA is about to award sites for the next six years -- if they accept this "repeal" will get a bunch of North Carolina sites and the '18 first/second round stay in Charlotte.

So can we limit this thread to just discussing the news -- and leave off the commentary. Obviously, some of us hate HB2 ... and some hate the NCAA for using that as a reason to boycott the state. We know the issues, but the news is what we should talk about -- will the NCAA accept the compromise? Will the protest of various groups keep the ban in force?

My only point is being disgusted with the entirety of this, and if the NCAA accepts this, the circle of hypocrisy will be complete.

While I understand that for the purposes of this board, the Duke basketball ramifications are the only relevant part, so sure, keep 2018 in state.

kAzE
03-30-2017, 03:59 PM

Agreed. Even leaving the politics of the issue out of it, there's plenty to discuss in terms of the NCAA, Duke, and all of Tobacco Road. This is a problem for us, whether people care to admit it or not. We're at a huge competitive disadvantage being a school in North Carolina because of this bill and it's ramifications.

BLPOG
03-30-2017, 03:59 PM

The additional commentary has been a pretty prominent in this thread so far, and as much appreciation as I have for the posters on the board, I think the chances of having a discussion devoid of that commentary are vanishingly small.

I appreciate your opinion that the news and implications to basketball (and for that matter, other sports) are worth discussing. Unfortunately, the extent to which that can be accomplished within the rules of this forum is "HB2 Repeal is Passed."

Threads like this one are poison for the board, IMO.

kAzE
03-30-2017, 04:19 PM
The additional commentary has been a pretty prominent in this thread so far, and as much appreciation as I have for the posters on the board, I think the chances of having a discussion devoid of that commentary are vanishingly small.

I appreciate your opinion that the news and implications to basketball (and for that matter, other sports) are worth discussing. Unfortunately, the extent to which that can be accomplished within the rules of this forum is "HB2 Repeal is Passed."

Threads like this one are poison for the board, IMO.

If ESPN can put out a 500 word article about it without diving too deep into the politics, I think we surely can do better.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/19039656/north-carolina-lawmakers-vote-undo-controversial-hb2-bathroom-bill

The bottom line in terms of this "repeal" and it's impact on Duke basketball is whether or not the NCAA accepts this compromise enough to allow North Carolina entities to bid for NCAA events.

If Duke's campus were in any other state, this would be irrelevant to anything outside of politics/civil rights. But we are in North Carolina.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 04:23 PM
If ESPN can put out a 500 word article about it without diving too deep into the politics, I think we surely can do better.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/19039656/north-carolina-lawmakers-vote-undo-controversial-hb2-bathroom-bill

Looks like ESPN also sees this as unsatisfying political tomfoolery that pleased no one on either side. Hard to see the NCAA not seeing this for what it is, but I guess time will tell

oldnavy
03-30-2017, 04:40 PM
Looks like ESPN also sees this as unsatisfying political tomfoolery that pleased no one on either side. Hard to see the NCAA not seeing this for what it is, but I guess time will tell

I wonder what would please people on both sides? Any ideas?

elvis14
03-30-2017, 04:43 PM
Anyone have any idea how the NCAA works? Meaning when and how would we hear if this "change" will be sufficient to keep games here?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 04:46 PM
I wonder what would please people on both sides? Any ideas?

No idea, but I'm not paid to pass legislation.

Tripping William
03-30-2017, 04:51 PM
Anyone have any idea how the NCAA works? Meaning when and how would we hear if this "change" will be sufficient to keep games here?

I have read (and I hesitate to provide the links, due to some of the commentary within them) that Mark Emmert is scheduled to meet with reporters at 6:30 p.m. Eastern tonight from Arizona. I suspect this issue will arise in that press conference. I further read that today's NCAA deadline was one that, if nothing was done, would eliminate NC's bids from consideration as host cities for NCAA events through 2022, and that the NCAA's final decisions on those host cities would occur on April 18th. And then there's the ACC's decision (if any) about the 2019 (Charlotte) and 2020 (Greensboro) men's basketball tournaments, and I have not read anything about the timing on that.

BigZ
03-30-2017, 05:10 PM
Shouldn't let NCAA bully our state. Support or oppose HB2 any North Carolianian should stand w the state in this extortion

kAzE
03-30-2017, 05:15 PM
Shouldn't let NCAA bully our state. Support or oppose HB2 any North Carolianian should stand w the state in this extortion

How is this extortion? The NCAA doesn't agree with the law, and they, as a national organization, have chosen not to allow the state to host their events. Extortion would mean they are forcing North Carolina to do something by threat. They aren't. NCAA events are not the property of North Carolina. The NCAA is free to do as they wish as it pertains to their events. If North Carolina is fine with missing out on billions of dollars of sports revenue (that they wouldn't have without the NCAA anyway), then it's all good.

And the NCAA isn't even the only one doing this. Remember, the NBA also chose to relocate their All-Star weekend.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 05:18 PM
How is this extortion? The NCAA doesn't agree with the law, and they, as a national organization, have chosen not to allow the state to host their events. Extortion would mean they are forcing North Carolina to do something by threatening the state. They aren't. NCAA events are not the property of North Carolina. If North Carolina is fine with missing out on billions of dollars of sports revenue (that they wouldn't have without the NCAA anyway), then it's all good.

Clearly, it is an important issue to both sides, worth sacrificing millions of dollars over the principle. However, not worth sacrificing a few basketball games with homecourt advantage.

We live in very strange times.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2017, 05:29 PM
Again, I think we need to limit contents to the effect this has on sports -- not whether it is good or bad policy.

I like the ACC football championship in Charlotte, and NCAA hoops in NC. From that perspective, I am glad to see this done.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 05:34 PM
Again, I think we need to limit contents to the effect this has on sports -- not whether it is good or bad policy.

I like the ACC football championship in Charlotte, and NCAA hoops in NC. From that perspective, I am glad to see this done.

This, I imagine we can all agree on.