PDA

View Full Version : Customer Service Rants

fuse
03-30-2017, 12:02 AM
I really wanted to title this, American Airlines s*cks.

My son sat next to an alleged AA HR employee on a flight tonight.

This employee decided to text her friend about my son with an unflattering description.

This brought a lovely end to a day which saw us pay for checked bags in a line 40 minutes deep with one gate agent, followed by an hour long wait on the runway on the next flight because of "missing paperwork that was delivered by truck to the cockpit window".

If that lady is representative of what AA employees deal with, I feel sorry for them.

weezie
03-30-2017, 02:33 PM
What happened? Did a ruckus ensue after she maligned your son?

I wish I'd been there. Fun times at Lowe's the other day: began heating up when I decided to hone in on customer service desk, waving and calling from the paint section where I was in clear view. There wasd one poor paint guy trying to deal with a line of 7-8 customers.
Yeah, yeah, tiresome story, but two other customers thanked me for "taking it" to the help desk. Literally called and blasted the red vests from fifteen feet away.
Cell phones sometimes actually do good in the world.
Smiling sarcastically reeeeeeeeaaaalllly annoys people.

To fuse: write to the CEO of American. Not kidding, mark it personal. Try and include her name.

fuse
03-30-2017, 03:28 PM

I wish I'd been there. Fun times at Lowe's the other day: began heating up when I decided to hone in on customer service desk, waving and calling from the paint section where I was in clear view. There wasd one poor paint guy trying to deal with a line of 7-8 customers.
Yeah, yeah, tiresome story, but two other customers thanked me for "taking it" to the help desk. Literally called and blasted the red vests from fifteen feet away.

To fuse: write to the CEO of American. Not kidding, mark it personal. Try and include her name.

We were dispersed to 4 different seats due to rebooking because of cancelled flights, I only heard after we all got off the plane.

I've lit up AA on twitter. The real letter is a great idea.

left_hook_lacey
03-30-2017, 04:31 PM

I have a couple of really bad experiences with customer service at lowe's. I don't even like to think about those times if I can. I've moved on and I'm in a better place now. :)

Let's just say one day, it took me almost 3 hours to pay for $7,000 worth of cabinets and granite counter tops and when they finally figured out what the hell was going on, it was still wrong. The wrong cabinets were delivered to my house.

aimo
04-01-2017, 06:21 PM
My brother once ended up with a free dishwasher from Lowes b/c they screwed up the original delivery, then mistakenly credited him twice. The whole experience was such a nightmare, including first trying to deliver a refrigerator instead of the dishwasher, he said nothing.

Jim3k
04-02-2017, 02:23 AM
Because I had become slowly dissatisfied with my cable provider, and because they raised my monthly fee into the $330 range, I (we) decided to switch to Comcast who offered more for quite a bit less (about $100). They gave us a window of 10am-noon on Saturday. No one showed so I called. They claimed to have called earlier; not so. Claimed a contact number from a different area code and that the person who answered claimed they hadn't ordered their service...no kidding.

Anyway, at 1:15 an installer arrived. He stayed until 6:30. And finally...finally...everything seemed to have worked. (Lotta false starts: couldn't get in through my router, lost the dial tone, couldn't figure out how to boost the signal for a while--just a lot of lost time. I did find him personable, so there's that.) Except for the primary phone unit placement which they know is error. So...we are having some more time with them shortly while they work that out.

And, to top it all off, when I opened the afternoon mail, there was a bill from my old company reducing their monthly charge to about what I had demanded. Of course, my discussion with their retention people had ended up with their knowing I was unhappy and had been offered a lower rate by Comcast. (Even so, Comcast provided a lot more channels plus their 6-recording DVR.) This last minute inducement was a big fail.

PackMan97
04-02-2017, 03:58 AM
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0535/6917/products/apathydemotivator.jpeg?v=1403275888

budwom
04-02-2017, 10:05 AM
Because I had become slowly dissatisfied with my cable provider, and because they raised my monthly fee into the $330 range, I (we) decided to switch to Comcast who offered more for quite a bit less (about $100). They gave us a window of 10am-noon on Saturday. No one showed so I called. They claimed to have called earlier; not so. Claimed a contact number from a different area code and that the person who answered claimed they hadn't ordered their service...no kidding.

Anyway, at 1:15 an installer arrived. He stayed until 6:30. And finally...finally...everything seemed to have worked. (Lotta false starts: couldn't get in through my router, lost the dial tone, couldn't figure out how to boost the signal for a while--just a lot of lost time. I did find him personable, so there's that.) Except for the primary phone unit placement which they know is error. So...we are having some more time with them shortly while they work that out.

And, to top it all off, when I opened the afternoon mail, there was a bill from my old company reducing their monthly charge to about what I had demanded. Of course, my discussion with their retention people had ended up with their knowing I was unhappy and had been offered a lower rate by Comcast. (Even so, Comcast provided a lot more channels plus their 6-recording DVR.) This last minute inducement was a big fail.

Don't even get me started on Comcast (but you did)! How's this for a customer service tale: years ago Comcast ran an ad in the local paper for a special six month intro price of $30/month for internet service only.
I got them to come, then they told me the service would not work because they had some technical problem in their office (nothing to do with my home). Fine I say, when will this be fixed?
We have no idea, they said, but we're charging you starting today. Huh? Protest did no good, but fortunately I live in a wee state, and a quick call to me Public Service Dept got me a rapid callback from a Comcast VP apologizing for
the "misunderstanding" (which is wasn't of course.)

OK, so in a few weeks I get my first bill from Comcast, expecting the advertised $30/month rate, but I'm charged the full $60 regular fare. OK, so I call "customer service," where the first rep says there is NOTHING
they can do for me. Huh? So I ask to speak to a supervisor who quickly understands my beef (the half price ad they had run ran for weeks and was a full page ad, so it was hardly a secret, they must have
paid a lot of money for that). She puts me on hold for five minutes, comes back, and very apologetically tells me that "there is NO WAY our accounting system can charge you this half price rate. NONE."
So they'd run an ad proclaiming a rate they were incapable of actually charging. Fortunately she had a brain and gave me an instant $180 credit... I hate those people.

moonpie23
04-02-2017, 10:17 AM
a couple of things about customer service...

you should record all calls, no matter how long they are. this recording will come in handy later.

when they bait and switch, or just lie, you can go online (in NC) and fill out a Dept of Justice Consumer Affairs Complaint. (http://www.ncdoj.gov/complaint)

it only takes a few minutes, but you'll be surprised how quickly the company you file it against acts on it. You'll get a phone call AND a customer service rep that his highly motivated to resolve your complaint.

these companies (telecons especially) have scientifically designed the customer service and sales department to lie, deflect and deny. (sound like someone down the road?)

when you make it official with the DOJ, they can't hide behind some of their bullcrap....

budwom
04-02-2017, 12:06 PM
^indeed...though some states have more vigilant enforcement departments than others from what I've seen. Fortunately, in Vermont we get ultra quick action for legitimate gripes.

camion
04-04-2017, 09:51 AM
My last dance with customer service involved redeeming credit card bonus points with Wells Fargo.

On the bonus points web site I found a Polar heart rate monitor that I had enough points to get. I ordered it and got an email saying my order went through.

I waited. A week later I got an email saying that the Polar wasn't in stock and my bonus points had been recredited.

I went back to the web site. I found the same Polar heart rate monitor that I had enough points to get. I ordered it and got an email saying my order went through.

I waited. A week later I got an email saying that the Polar wasn't in stock and my bonus points had been recredited.

I called Wells Fargo customer service and after being routed a bit I was told that they had no control over their own bonus program and couldn't guarantee that that item, or any item on the web site, was actually available.

I decided to play again.

I went back to the web site. I found the same Polar heart rate monitor that I had enough points to get. I ordered it and got an email saying my order went through.

I called Wells Fargo customer service and after being routed a bit I was told that they had no control over their own bonus program and couldn't guarantee that that item, or any item on the web site, was actually available. I told them that if they didn't either send me the item or remove the item from the web site then I would remove my account from their bank.

I got the Polar heart rate monitor 10 days later. My heart rate is now back to normal, but I'm still considering changing banks.

aimo
04-05-2017, 12:41 PM
a couple of things about customer service...

you should record all calls, no matter how long they are. this recording will come in handy later.

when they bait and switch, or just lie, you can go online (in NC) and fill out a Dept of Justice Consumer Affairs Complaint. (http://www.ncdoj.gov/complaint)

it only takes a few minutes, but you'll be surprised how quickly the company you file it against acts on it. You'll get a phone call AND a customer service rep that his highly motivated to resolve your complaint.

these companies (telecons especially) have scientifically designed the customer service and sales department to lie, deflect and deny. (sound like someone down the road?)

when you make it official with the DOJ, they can't hide behind some of their bullcrap...

I learned that the customer service reps you first encounter are told NOT to forward the call to a manager until the customer has requested a manager X amount of times. I now say, "I realize I have to ask a certain number of times before I get to speak to a manager, so MAY I PLEASE SPEAK TO A MANAGER, MAY I PLEASE SPEAK TO A MANAGER, MAY I PLEASE SPEAK TO A MANAGER, MAY I PLEASE SPEAK TO A MANAGER," until they put me on with a manager. Who is probably not much more helpful but a little higher up so I feel it's a bit more effective to yell at him/her.

Jeffrey
04-05-2017, 05:38 PM
My recommendation is to support your locally owned and operated businesses. As consumers continue to shop more online, for the best price, these businesses continue to close. The day may come when most of your complaint calls will be made to out of state, or country, call centers. I doubt most people are going to be thrilled by the customer service they're receiving then.

Our hometown hardware stores closed after the arrival of Lowes. Our hometown banks closed after the arrival of Wells Fargo. We wanted Lowes wide variety of products and low prices. We wanted Wells Fargo's ATMs on every corner and latest technology. And, now, we pay the customer service price, because we did not support our locally owned and operated businesses.

BigWayne
04-05-2017, 09:58 PM

At my previous residence, I had to use Comcast for internet as there was no wiring supporting anything else at that location. I tried using multiple modems I acquired on my own, but none would work reliably so I was forced to rent one from Comcast. When we moved, I had to physically go to a Comcast office to return the modem so I would stop being charged for it. It took about 20-30 minutes in their office to do the return. Everybody in that office was angry to be there. All of the customers were angry and all of the employees were angry as well. I have never been anywhere, before or since, like that.

YmoBeThere
04-05-2017, 10:14 PM
At my previous residence, I had to use Comcast for internet as there was no wiring supporting anything else at that location. I tried using multiple modems I acquired on my own, but none would work reliably so I was forced to rent one from Comcast. When we moved, I had to physically go to a Comcast office to return the modem so I would stop being charged for it. It took about 20-30 minutes in their office to do the return. Everybody in that office was angry to be there. All of the customers were angry and all of the employees were angry as well. I have never been anywhere, before or since, like that.

Well, now I'm angry. And I've got AT&T Fiber. Which they want to call U-verse. Hells to the no. If GOOG hadn't promised us fiber, I'd still be on DSL.

YmoBeThere
04-05-2017, 10:19 PM
The day may come when most of your complaint calls will be made to out of state, or country, call centers. I doubt most people are going to be thrilled by the customer service they're receiving then.
Meh, I prefer to rant in little corners of the interwebs or to my two Twitter followers. I don't want satisfaction, I want to be heard.

Jeffrey
04-06-2017, 10:50 AM
Meh, I prefer to rant in little corners of the interwebs or to my two Twitter followers. I don't want satisfaction, I want to be heard.

Yep, unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to that. Many large companies have the need for some version of a Complaints Department. I've never known any large company to have the need for a Compliments Department.

DukieInKansas
04-06-2017, 02:40 PM
Yep, unfortunately, there's a lot of truth to that. Many large companies have the need for some version of a Complaints Department. I've never known any large company to have the need for a Compliments Department.

I like to confuse them sometimes and call to thank them/compliment them. Well - it was really the mayor (who I know) and a local lawn/snow plow company that had been a client. Snow removal was done exceptionally well in both instances. I don't think they get many random compliments.

Jeffrey
04-06-2017, 06:43 PM
I like to confuse them sometimes and call to thank them/compliment them. Well - it was really the mayor (who I know) and a local lawn/snow plow company that had been a client. Snow removal was done exceptionally well in both instances. I don't think they get many random compliments.

They were probably scared to take your call. Compliment? What's she up to? :D

ricks68
04-07-2017, 01:03 AM
I kept getting 2 or more letters a week and constant phone calls for many months from ATT to switch to Uverse . I can't get Uverse as I am way too far from the nearest "terminal"(?), because I am up the mountain with a sparse amount of homes in the area. So, one day, after the usual "we can now offer you Uverse because we have expanded our coverage area" bit, I decided to take them up on it again and have them discover the situation in person, in hopes that they will now stop the wasted paper and the constant phone calls.

After the guy they sent spend about 2-3 hours discovering what I had already told them, I expected their wasted efforts and my wasted time with them to end. Nope.

After a few more weeks of this, since I figured it would take time for them to be informed, I decided to have them come out again and begin wasting their time. Well, the next guy spent about the same amount of time and came to the same obvious conclusion. This time, however, I told him to go back to his office and inform his supervisor that I was going to keep taking them up on their offer until they stopped sending the letters and calling me.

Bazinga!-----and it was so much fun, as I am retired and was home doing stuff anyway.:D:D:D

ricks

moonpie23
04-07-2017, 07:56 AM
of course, there's always Steven Thrasher (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYKAzjT0e_8) (NSFW language)

budwom
04-07-2017, 09:21 AM
a few years ago I enrolled in the Medicare Part D program (for Rx drugs, even though I don't take any (*)....)....chose the cheapest option, Humana/WalMart (the name should
have given me pause). Over the course of the next year (and this is genuinely true) I never ever got a card with my name, acct number, etc, despite about 15 calls including one to
a VP who promised I'd have the card the next day.

Best I can tell, the fact that my physical address is a street number, but my mailing address is a PO Box, completely tilts their crappy system. (I've suffered thru this
phenomenon before). Eventually I got Humana to dictate an account number to me, which I scribbled on a piece of paper, and took to the drugstore to ascertain if I indeed had
coverage in the "system.." (I did). Clown show.

* due to arcane medicare reasons/rules

-jk
04-07-2017, 10:29 PM
a few years ago I enrolled in the Medicare Part D program (for Rx drugs, even though I don't take any (*)...)...chose the cheapest option, Humana/WalMart (the name should
have given me pause). Over the course of the next year (and this is genuinely true) I never ever got a card with my name, acct number, etc, despite about 15 calls including one to
a VP who promised I'd have the card the next day.

Best I can tell, the fact that my physical address is a street number, but my mailing address is a PO Box, completely tilts their crappy system. (I've suffered thru this
phenomenon before). Eventually I got Humana to dictate an account number to me, which I scribbled on a piece of paper, and took to the drugstore to ascertain if I indeed had
coverage in the "system.." (I did). Clown show.

* due to arcane medicare reasons/rules

I live in a small town with a PO but no home mail delivery. For shipping, we just list our street address with the PO Box as a suite/apt. Everyone navigates it just fine. (Kids' friends, not so much - they keep expecting an apartment building...)

-jk

Jim3k
04-08-2017, 12:39 AM
As I said upthread, Comcast, in its initial install, was having trouble with one of the phone extensions--the one in the kitchen for the cordless base unit, of course. The installer knew he had screwed up, so he gave me the number for his supervisor, I called on Monday but got voicemail, left my number. Nothing. So later that day I called Comcast to get it fixed.

The new installer came on Wednesday. He fooled around with it for 4-½ hours. At one point he asserted that no phone had ever been in that location (despite the obvious jack). He could find no live wire. Finally, he asked to go to the attic crawl space. When he got there he discovered the proper line, but it wouldn't work. So he followed it outside and found it there--neatly severed by his predecessor installer. Wow. He said it was in a bundle of wires and he hadn't seen it before. Double wow!

Aaugh!

On Thursday evening, the whole damn system went out. I thought it would fix itself by morning, but no. So, using my cellphone, I called customer service. Somebody who barely spoke understandable English put me on hold for about 5 minutes. Then he came back and said there was an ongoing outage in my area (but not related to any electric power outage). He assured me that it would all be back by 4 pm. It was. I wasn't too upset because we'd had some bad weather and I was pretty sure it was weather-related.

But what a start!

More Aaugh!

budwom
04-08-2017, 10:05 AM
I live in a small town with a PO but no home mail delivery. For shipping, we just list our street address with the PO Box as a suite/apt. Everyone navigates it just fine. (Kids' friends, not so much - they keep expecting an apartment building...)

-jk

there are some companies (not smart ones) which automatically boot any mention of a PO Box, unfortunately...I've learned to avoid them...as a friend of mine calls it, The Tyranny of Bad Software.

-jk
04-08-2017, 02:11 PM
there are some companies (not smart ones) which automatically boot any mention of a PO Box, unfortunately...I've learned to avoid them...as a friend of mine calls it, The Tyranny of Bad Software.

Yeah, I never actually put "PO Box xxx" on anything, just "#xxx".

-jk

rthomas
04-10-2017, 02:53 PM
Wow. What about United dragging a doctor out the plane who would not give up his seat when they overbooked the flight?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/10/523275494/passenger-forcibly-removed-from-united-flight-prompting-outcry

I am not a lawyer and I don't know much about being a lawyer, but I would like to be this person's lawyer.

JasonEvans
04-10-2017, 04:12 PM
Wow. What about United dragging a doctor out the plane who would not give up his seat when they overbooked the flight?

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/04/10/523275494/passenger-forcibly-removed-from-united-flight-prompting-outcry

I am not a lawyer and I don't know much about being a lawyer, but I would like to be this person's lawyer.

The intertubes are blowing up over this one. I have seen several videos related to this incident. If I was on the jury in the eventual lawsuit here, my only question to the judge would be, "Your honor, are we allowed to give an 8-digit award or are we limited to 7?"

In a stunning development, the Chicago Police Department has dragged itself into this mess. I'll allow this article to explain (https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/united-airlines-drags-passenger-plane-ohare-airport).

Even though the Chicago Police Department was not involved in the incident, many news media outlets that didn't realize Aviation Department Police are a different agency were calling Chicago Police for comment. Instead of remaining quiet on the matter, CPD decided to tell reporters the man "fell" on his face and injured himself. CPD issued a statement on Monday, described the passenger as "irate," and said aviation security officers "attempted to carry" the man off the plane "when he fell."

Someone really, really stupid is running communications for the CPD. Ha!

I also enjoyed this drawing, "United is now offering a new class of service. Now you can fly first, economy plus, economy or..."
http://i.imgur.com/TKLs9lo.jpg

United Airlines CEO Oscar Munoz is being roasted on Twitter saying the airline is sorry it had to "re-accommodate" the passenger. Re-accommodate?!?!?!!? In what can only be described as the best irony of the day, Munoz is set to receive an award tonight from PRWeek as the "Communicator of the Year." Bwahahahahahahahaha!

-Jason "clearly, United and the airport police and the airport itself are all going to get sued... United could have chartered a plane to fly these 4 United Employees to Louisville and it would have been a lot cheaper than the lawsuits will be" Evans

devildeac
04-10-2017, 04:52 PM
I really wanted to title this, American Airlines s*cks.

My son sat next to an alleged AA HR employee on a flight tonight.

This employee decided to text her friend about my son with an unflattering description.

This brought a lovely end to a day which saw us pay for checked bags in a line 40 minutes deep with one gate agent, followed by an hour long wait on the runway on the next flight because of "missing paperwork that was delivered by truck to the cockpit window".

If that lady is representative of what AA employees deal with, I feel sorry for them.

Sorry to read about the fuse family and American Airlines. Silver lining? At least his family wasn't on a United flight. :rolleyes:

fuse
04-11-2017, 08:15 AM
There was a note up thread about apathy.

There is a sad ring of truth to that statement.

Boycott United due to airport police brutality or legging-gate?
Boycott American for poor customer service?

Leaves you with Southwest, Jet Blue, maybe Alaska/Virgin.

The airlines don't care because they can afford not to care.
Every seat you don't buy there are others who will.

The most fascinating thing I read about United yesterday (and I don't believe this is limited to United) is the federal protection.

United can bump you from your flight and if they put you on another that arrives within an hour of your original plan, no compensation.
This scales - 2 hours, 4 hours, etc and has cost penalties measured out in percentages with caps (e.g. 400% of ticket value up to $1600).

This is where Thomas Jefferson had it right (pardon the paraphrase)- when banks and corporations run the government, democracy is dead.

Banks, airlines, big pharma, monsanto have essentially paid off the government to create favorable conditions for their business.

-jk
02-27-2022, 08:36 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread to post about an awful customer service experience I had recently.

Trivety Technology(we record SN), an Amazon seller, sold me a "new" printer that had a sticky liquid inside - something like Sprite or 7-Up. When I tried to return it, Trivety Technology charged a 50% restocking fee as it had that liquid in it, claiming there was no way for liquid to have gotten there. I admit it was unusual - I've unboxed and set up scores of printers over the years and never seen the like. But even with pictures I took during unboxing, Trivety refused to reconsider.

It took over six weeks to get even that much back. Trivety strung me along past the 90 day Amazon Seller Feedback window, making it impossible to leave feedback. So, in lieu of Amazon Seller feedback, I'm offering DBR Rants Feedback. Maybe it'll show up on the google for someone else one day.

If you're buying on Amazon, I strongly recommend not using Trivety Technology.

-jk

Indoor66
02-27-2022, 09:37 PM
Have you contacted Amazon? They are quite sensitive about their sellers providing solid customer support and service.

-jk
02-27-2022, 09:43 PM
Have you contacted Amazon? They are quite sensitive about their sellers providing solid customer support and service.

I have reached out to Amazon with the full story.

-jk

wilson
02-27-2022, 09:44 PM
I have reached out to Amazon with the full story.

-jkYour credit card company might also be worth a shot. American Express, for example, has really backed me up in some situations like this.

-jk
02-27-2022, 10:59 PM
Your credit card company might also be worth a shot. American Express, for example, has really backed me up in some situations like this.

Thanks. I think I'll end up getting most of the refund, just not from Trivety.

-jk

aimo
02-28-2022, 08:08 AM
Absolutely call Amazon. You will have to speak with someone in the Philippines, but you should get the remedy you want. And they will know that the seller has a complaint even if it's not on their review page.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-28-2022, 08:10 AM
Absolutely call Amazon. You will have to speak with someone in the Philippines, but you should get the remedy you want. And they will know that the seller has a complaint even if it's not on their review page.

Amazon customer service has been exemplary in my experience.

aimo
02-28-2022, 08:24 AM
Amazon customer service has been exemplary in my experience.

Oh I have had good experience with them, it is just very hard to understand them sometimes. And they use canned responses like most other non-USA-based customer service groups. So if your issue is not covered by their lists of responses (which it rarely is), you have a much tougher time getting the problem addressed.

The one gripe I had with them is when I reported a charge on my credit card from Amazon for a purchase I did not make. I had already called the credit card company, but I called Amazon to complain about the fact that they do not ask for the security codes on our cards. A couple of weeks later, I get a letter from Amazon telling me THEY had "discovered" improper charges on my account. The ones I had to report to them. SMH

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
02-28-2022, 09:01 AM
Oh I have had good experience with them, it is just very hard to understand them sometimes. And they use canned responses like most other non-USA-based customer service groups. So if your issue is not covered by their lists of responses (which it rarely is), you have a much tougher time getting the problem addressed.

The one gripe I had with them is when I reported a charge on my credit card from Amazon for a purchase I did not make. I had already called the credit card company, but I called Amazon to complain about the fact that they do not ask for the security codes on our cards. A couple of weeks later, I get a letter from Amazon telling me THEY had "discovered" improper charges on my account. The ones I had to report to them. SMH

I do all my Amazon customer service via chat. Much easier and leaves a "paper" record.

bundabergdevil
02-28-2022, 10:40 AM
If we really want to stick it to them, we should change the title to Customer "Service" Rants.

budwom
02-28-2022, 11:32 AM
I think we need to acknowledge that many companies have the goal not of solving your problem but rather having you go away....long hold times, dropped calls, "customer service" reps whom you can't understand....wear you down until you give up.