PDA

View Full Version : Matt Selected for College 3-Point Contest Thursday ESPN 10pm ET

awhom111
03-29-2017, 10:07 PM
Matt was one of eight seniors selected for the College 3-Point Contest held before the Final Four. It will be on ESPN at 10pm ET on Thursday although the broadcast has been delayed due to long running NIT finals in the past. It will be replayed quite a few times afterwards and is of course also live online.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2017, 10:09 PM
Matt was one of eight seniors selected for the College 3-Point Contest held before the Final Four. It will be on ESPN at 10pm ET on Thursday although the broadcast has been delayed due to long running NIT finals in the past. It will be replayed quite a few times afterwards and is of course also live online.

Matt who? Our offensive liability Matt Jones?

dukefan_828
03-30-2017, 12:03 AM
Matt who? Our offensive liability Matt Jones?

Those are fighting words my friend. That guy is the EPITOME of a great Duke scholar athlete... Big Shot MATT JONES!! Defensive Guru, and a key part of a national championship run. Oh also sealed an amazing ACCT run with a dagger 3 a few weeks ago?! I want a 500 letter apology or you will be banished from the forum.:cool:;)

NSDukeFan
03-30-2017, 06:19 AM
Those are fighting words my friend. That guy is the EPITOME of a great Duke scholar athlete... Big Shot MATT JONES!! Defensive Guru, and a key part of a national championship run. Oh also sealed an amazing ACCT run with a dagger 3 a few weeks ago?! I want a 500 letter apology or you will be banished from the forum.:cool:;)

My guess is Mtn.Devil was being facetious.

dukefan_828
03-30-2017, 06:53 AM
My guess is Mtn.Devil was being facetious.

Yes i am familiar w my good buddy Mtn. Devil from DBR chat all in good fun (hence the emojis) lets all join in tonight and cheer on Matt to bring home one last victory and highly coveted championship trophy to his GoDuke.com resume!!! Gonna crack one last cold top and enjoy some "Duke Basketball" till next year. I'm afraid this weekends festivities w the cheats in a 2nd straight FF and highly favored to win it all will require something much stronger than a few brews going to stock up on wild turkey, jim beam n such. Last time i did this a certain president got elected (Nov 8th 2008) heres to a better out come but i'll be sure to be enebreated just incase! Don't worry friends uber app is downloaded and ready to roll! :mad::mad::eek:

Spanarkel
03-30-2017, 08:33 AM
I fully acknowledge Matt's considerable and variegated contributions to Duke over his fine career, but his .342 three point accuracy this year didn't make the Top 500 in D-1 play this season. ("Just the facts, ma'am.")

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/stats/leaders/NCAAB/TPPCT/regularseason

Bluedog
03-30-2017, 10:15 AM
I fully acknowledge Matt's considerable and variegated contributions to Duke over his fine career, but his .342 three point accuracy this year didn't make the Top 500 in D-1 play this season. ("Just the facts, ma'am.")

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/stats/leaders/NCAAB/TPPCT/regularseason

He did not make enough 3-pointers to qualify for that list. Only made 50 this year, and need to make 1.5/game which would be 56. Not sure if that makes it better or worse considering his percentage is worse than EVERY single player who did qualify for that list. (So, if he did make it on the list, he'd be last assuing his percentage stayed the same...) And, yes similarly, not trying to bash at all as I love what Matt brought to the team, but 3-point shooting prowess was not really demonstrated by him this year unfortunately. But he's a big name coming from Duke, so that probably helps. Good luck to Matt! Hope he shows his best stuff!

English
03-30-2017, 10:32 AM

Love Matt, but this is a real puzzler. Why in the world would anyone choose Matt Jones to represent college shooters in the 3-pt contest?! Even limited to seniors, there have to be more qualified resumes out there, no? And as much as the organizers likely wanted a big-name player from a big-name school, do casual hoops fans* even know the name Matt Jones, even with the Duke jersey on? Perhaps I'm being unnecessarily harsh on Matt, and he's earned plenty of recognition over his sterling Duke career, but it's funny this is his reward given what we've seen over the last few weeks of his offense.

*Acknowledgement: casual hoops fans probably won't be watching a skills competition at 10P on a worknight, but ESPN will re-air this thing 100x/wk for the foreseeable future.

CDu
03-30-2017, 10:41 AM

There are a few reasons for this:
1. Only seniors on teams not still playing games are eligible
2. You have to elect to participate
3. There is certainly some bias towards players from "name" programs

I'm sure they could have found better options. But Jones' career 3pt % (37%) is not far off that of several ofthe other participants:
Bryce Alford: 39.7
Torian Graham (Arizona State, so local kid likely invited to spur attendance): 38.7%
Kris Jenkins: 37.3%
Peter Jok: 37.8%
Naz Mitrou-Long: 38.0%
Dewayne Russell (the hometown kid, likely invited to spur attendance): 37.0%
Derrick Walton, Jr: 40.1%

Those are not the 8 best senior 3pt shooters in college basketball. They were just the 8 seniors that were invited and/or were willing to go to Phoenix for the event.

Troublemaker
03-30-2017, 10:50 AM
Those are not the 8 best senior 3pt shooters in college basketball. They were just the 8 seniors that were invited and/or were willing to go to Phoenix for the event.

Bingo. Also, even though I doubt this factored into his selection, Matt finished 2nd in the McDonald's All-American 3-pt contest four years ago. Lost to Nigel Williams-Goss. Hopefully both Matt and Williams-Goss light it up over the next few days.

Reddevil
03-30-2017, 11:57 AM
Because about three weeks ago he hit one of the most awesome threes in the history of mankind!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 12:53 PM
Let's go Matt! Add another chapter to your career in a Duke uniform.

killerleft
03-30-2017, 01:19 PM
To steal, badly, from Henry Wadsworth Longfellow:

Mr. Matt Jones
Had a bunch of curls
Right up above his forehead.

When he was good
He was very, very good -
But when he was bad he was horrid.

Mr. Tatum made
An unexpected pass
To a mentor and teammate he trusted.

Matt didn't hesitate -
His shot was true and straight.
And Notre Dame's chances were busted.

The moral of this silly poem? Don't count out Matt Jones.

rsvman
03-30-2017, 01:36 PM
If they run this thing the way most 3-point shooting contests are run, I suspect he might have some trouble. It seems that he has a relatively slow shot. These contests depend heavily on the ability to hoist up shot after shot in quick succession.

Although, now that I think about it, I think Matt might have done very well in the 3-point shooting contest he participated in PRIOR to coming to Duke as a freshman........or maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

I guess we can just wait and see what happens.

As an aside, I think the way these things are run should be changed. Every shot should be from a different spot. The ball should be thrown to you by a person, rather than grabbed off a rack. Get rid of the clock and just have them shoot a certain number of balls (for example, 20 or 25). Make it a rule that they shoot once and have to move, and that at least one shot has to be taken from both corners. Make the other rule that no two consecutive shots can be within 5 feet of the other. Let them take however much time they require to shoot 20 or 25 shots. Make them all count 3 points, like a real 3-point shot, and then just add up the points. Most points wins. This would be a much more realistic way of seeing who is the best 3-point shooter.

CDu
03-30-2017, 02:17 PM
If they run this thing the way most 3-point shooting contests are run, I suspect he might have some trouble. It seems that he has a relatively slow shot. These contests depend heavily on the ability to hoist up shot after shot in quick succession.

Although, now that I think about it, I think Matt might have done very well in the 3-point shooting contest he participated in PRIOR to coming to Duke as a freshman....or maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

I guess we can just wait and see what happens.

The contest favors set shooters over guys who are true jumpshooters. Jones' in-game shot is slow for a set-shooter, but not so slow as to be a problem with the time constraints. Basically, the time constraint shouldn't be a problem unless you really watch your shots after shooting.

And Jones did finish second in the McDonald's 3pt shootout as a high schooler.

Furniture
03-30-2017, 10:26 PM
19. Proud of you Matt!!

thru to the semi final!!

This is kid just continues to defy the nay Sayers!!

Krzyzewskiville
03-31-2017, 03:52 AM
How did he finish?

accfanfrom1970
03-31-2017, 04:36 AM
Peter Jok from Iowa won, couldn't find results.

Furniture
03-31-2017, 06:30 AM
How did he finish?

He got cold in the semis and just missed out getting to the final.

YmoBeThere
03-31-2017, 06:50 AM
19. Proud of you Matt!!

thru to the semi final!!

This is kid just continues to defy the nay Sayers!!

3 round competition?

DtrainBuckshot
03-31-2017, 09:04 AM
Knocked out in second round, shots were not falling. Where having I heard this story before?

Furniture
03-31-2017, 09:27 AM
It was great seeing him. Regardless of winning or losing he was having so much fun.

EricBNC
03-31-2017, 11:38 AM
Yes it was a 3-round competition. He beat out some great shooters like Kris Jenkins and Bryce Alford in the first round but couldn't make it past the 2nd round.

JasonEvans
03-31-2017, 12:07 PM
Yes it was a 3-round competition. He beat out some great shooters like Kris Jenkins and Bryce Alford in the first round but couldn't make it past the 2nd round.

8 start, 4 make the semis, and 2 make the finals.

wavedukefan70s
04-01-2017, 03:22 PM
Peter Jok from Iowa won, couldn't find results.

I thought kendrid wiesman or something beat him in a tie breaker.she hit more shots but the same points.

InSpades
04-01-2017, 03:58 PM
I thought kendrid wiesman or something beat him in a tie breaker.she hit more shots but the same points.

There is a men's winner and a women's winner and then they compete against one another. Jok won the men's competition.

wavedukefan70s
04-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Oh ok i just caught the tail end of it.i saw her win so i assumed she was over all winner.