PDA

View Full Version : NCAA and HB2

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 03:44 PM
NCAA threatens to pull more tournaments of NC doesn't act on HB2 in 48 hours.

http://wlos.com/news/local/ncaa-gives-nc-48-hours-to-resolve-hb2-sports-official-says (http://wlos.com/news/local/ncaa-gives-nc-48-hours-to-resolve-hb2-sports-official-says)

chrishoke
03-28-2017, 04:21 PM
Rats. The chances of action in 48 hours is near zilch.

Wander
03-28-2017, 04:23 PM
This is going to end with us playing a second round game against 8 seed Kentucky in Louisville.

buddy
03-28-2017, 04:37 PM
I know I will get banned for this, but why is the NCAA involved in local politics? Are they going to sanction states because of their tax policies? Or are they going to sanction states for refusing to obey federal immigration law? No one has died due to HB2, but several people have died because states, cities, and localities have refused to hold criminals for ICE. But I guess the NCAA is OK with murder, just not with bathrooms. Oh, at the Barclay's Center, the bathrooms are labelled "men" and "women", not "y'all come."

MCFinARL
03-28-2017, 04:38 PM
This is going to end with us playing a second round game against 8 seed Kentucky in Louisville.

Well, maybe if Kentucky were an 8 seed. But i see your point.

CDu
03-28-2017, 04:42 PM
I know I will get banned for this, but why is the NCAA involved in local politics? Are they going to sanction states because of their tax policies? Or are they going to sanction states for refusing to obey federal immigration law? No one has died due to HB2, but several people have died because states, cities, and localities have refused to hold criminals for ICE. But I guess the NCAA is OK with murder, just not with bathrooms. Oh, at the Barclay's Center, the bathrooms are labelled "men" and "women", not "y'all come."

The NCAA has the right to choose where the tournament is hosted. They apparently feel strongly about this issue. It is well within their right to do just what they've done. They have said - and shown - that they don't need the state of NC to host tournament sites.

The state of NC can now decide how much they need or don't need the NCAA tournament.

It's not the first time a major power in the sports/entertainment world has thrown their weight around with respect to political issues. It won't be the last.

elvis14
03-28-2017, 04:42 PM

I may get banned for this...but if the law was really about the bathrooms the NCAA wouldn't give it a bit of consideration. The bathroom part of the bill was just the smoke screen they tried to use to get a certain collection of people behind the bill. I'll stop there and not cross too far in to PPB. Well except to say that you do have a point about the difficulty of deciding what kind of law should/shouldn't get a reaction from the NCAA.

I agree that 48 hour notice is pretty useless. I thought I had read somewhere that they gave NC until mid-April.

sagegrouse
03-28-2017, 04:57 PM

Anyway, the NCAA is not involved in "local politics." It is exercising its right as a private institution to make "business decisions" on any legal grounds it chooses. It does not want to hold its events in a state that doesn't observe certain individual rights. The "politics" is all on the side of the state of NC.

uh_no
03-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Well, maybe if Kentucky were an 8 seed. But i see your point.

last time kentucky was an 8 seed, they were the national runner up...so might not be that good.

Scorp4me
03-28-2017, 05:06 PM
I may get banned for this...but if the law was really about the bathrooms the NCAA wouldn't give it a bit of consideration. The bathroom part of the bill was just the smoke screen they tried to use to get a certain collection of people behind the bill. I'll stop there and not cross too far in to PPB. Well except to say that you do have a point about the difficulty of deciding what kind of law should/shouldn't get a reaction from the NCAA.

I agree that 48 hour notice is pretty useless. I thought I had read somewhere that they gave NC until mid-April.

I can agree with you that the law is not just about bathrooms, but I tend to disagree that the uproar brought about by the bill is not just about bathrooms. I believe quite the opposite, if it were not for the bathroom part then this wouldn't be an issue. Two opinions on the subjective part, although it appears we can agree on the objective part.

I was surprised when I recently saw this article on Yahoo and read it, I was amazed at the comments posted to the article. I read the comments for quite some time and it seemed most agreed that the NCAA could go take a flying leap and there seemed to be an equal number that claimed to not reside in the state of NC who felt that way.

Troublemaker
03-28-2017, 05:08 PM
As far as the men's tournament next year is concerned, it means the Charlotte pod could be lost. Which I might not be too sad about. I wonder if the NCAA will go back to the well with SC or go to GA or FL for a replacement site.

http://i.imgur.com/taNFU84.png

elvis14
03-28-2017, 05:11 PM
I can agree with you that the law is not just about bathrooms, but I tend to disagree that the uproar brought about by the bill is not just about bathrooms. I believe quite the opposite, if it were not for the bathroom part then this wouldn't be an issue. Two opinions on the subjective part, although it appears we can agree on the objective part.

I was surprised when I recently saw this article on Yahoo and read it, I was amazed at the comments posted to the article. I read the comments for quite some time and it seemed most agreed that the NCAA could go take a flying leap and there seemed to be an equal number that claimed to not reside in the state of NC who felt that way.

You call it an "uproar", I call it a "smoke screen". I actually think we agree to a certain degree in that I think the public's uproar has been all about the bathrooms (this was by design). I think where we may disagree is whether or not this is the part that the NCAA (and others) are taking a stand against. I hope they are taking a stand on the general loss of anti-discrimination laws. But I could be wrong.

Devil Inside
03-28-2017, 05:20 PM
I'm interested in seeing what the NCAA's position will be when the first 6"10 M to F transgender wants to play on a womens team.

gus
03-28-2017, 05:36 PM
I'm interested in seeing what the NCAA's position will be when the first 6"10 M to F transgender wants to play on a womens team.

Well, they have a handbook (https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/Transgender_Handbook_2011_Final.pdf) you can read if you're curious. It's detailed, well researched and thought-out. They address the concerns of competitive advantage, the assumptions driving those concerns, and the lack of evidence supporting those assumptions.

Or did you think you had an easy "gotcha"?