PDA

View Full Version : Stay classy, Kentucky fans

FerryFor50
03-28-2017, 02:33 PM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Kentucky-fans-trash-referee-John-Higgins-company-on-Facebook-52009045

So the fans were so angry about the officiating, they have been trashing one of the officials' roofing companies.

Pretty low brow.

kAzE
03-28-2017, 02:36 PM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Kentucky-fans-trash-referee-John-Higgins-company-on-Facebook-52009045

So the fans were so angry about the officiating, they have been trashing one of the officials' roofing companies.

Pretty low brow.

Yeah, it's pretty bad. Here's something a friend of mine (who is actually a Louisville fan) posted on social media:

I just called John Higgins' roofing company and they answered the phone "FBI" for obvious reasons. Obviously it wasn't the FBI, but I just wanted to let them know most Kentuckians have common sense and apologized on behalf of the ridiculous people who are trying to destroy his business reputation by purposely dropping his star rating as well as leaving untrue and nasty reviews. The person who answered the phone actually put me on the phone with his wife. Basically she said they're getting death threats too and her kids are scared, she also said they are taking names on the business' FB page of those making libel remarks, more than likely in an effort to take legal action. If you've said anything that has nothing to do with his roofing jobs or haven't actually had work done by him and made up a bad review I suggest deleting your comment(s) now or you might actually be getting into some trouble.

Death threats. For a couple of bad calls.

Wander
03-28-2017, 02:50 PM
Death threats. For a couple of bad calls.

This is why people need to stop trotting out this idiotic idea of "the refs need to be made available after each game to answer questions and be held accountable just like the players and coaches."

kako
03-28-2017, 02:56 PM
The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

I stick to that, even when it's UK playing UNC. But afterwards, I have to take a very long shower. And since UK lost, it's hard choking back the bile in my throat reading this and other stories of UK's fans. It's going to be so much easier rooting for Oregon.

Rich
03-28-2017, 02:57 PM

Pretty low brow.

Death threats? Meh, this is news, but not "Grayson tripping" level news. How do you even compare? ;)

BigWayne
03-28-2017, 06:12 PM
Another story on it with some examples of the posts. (https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/kentucky-football/angry-kentucky-fans-flood-referees-business-poor-facebook-reviews-following-unc-loss/)

The reviews weren’t all bad, however, as fake Roy Williams couldn’t be happier with this business:

Well played UNC troll, well played.

DU82
03-28-2017, 06:16 PM
Another story on it with some examples of the posts. (https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/kentucky-football/angry-kentucky-fans-flood-referees-business-poor-facebook-reviews-following-unc-loss/)

The reviews weren’t all bad, however, as fake Roy Williams couldn’t be happier with this business:

Well played UNC troll, well played.

Nah, should have ended "and John really understands that the ceiling IS the roof."

rsvman
03-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Nah, should have ended "and John really understands that the ceiling IS the roof."

LOL! That would've made a good post a classic.

kAzE
03-29-2017, 10:14 AM
The funniest thing about all this is that UK was called for 19 fouls in the game, vs 18 for UNC. Kentucky fans are the most irrational fans in American sports.

Jeffrey
03-29-2017, 10:42 AM
Absolutely pathetic behavior!

It's just a game initially played by little kids on a playground with nobody watching. The increased importance, placed on the game by fans, is easily illustrated in K's Duke salary progression from $40k to almost $8 million per year. There's a very dark side to fan obsession. It's still just a game.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-29-2017, 11:15 AM
The funniest thing about all this is that UK was called for 19 fouls in the game, vs 18 for UNC. Kentucky fans are the most irrational fans in American sports.
And they had at least a couple of intentional fouls at the end of the game to preserve clock... so they essentially had fewer "game time" fouls called against them than UNC did.

God, help me, I think I just indirectly supported UNC. Please, someone reassure me I didn't do that -- that I'm just hating on Calipari and everything is okay with the world.

Jeffrey
03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
God, help me, I think I just indirectly supported UNC. Please, someone reassure me I didn't do that -- that I'm just hating on Calipari and everything is okay with the world.

You never said anything kind or respectful about UNC. You have no need for concern.

UNCfan
03-29-2017, 11:28 AM
And they had at least a couple of intentional fouls at the end of the game to preserve clock... so they essentially had fewer "game time" fouls called against them than UNC did.

Thank you for the kind words, they go a long way with me! :cool:

Bluedog
03-29-2017, 12:06 PM

While I agree with you that Kentucky fans are irrational, I wouldn't look at number of fouls calls as if the game was called "fairly." Studies show that refs always unintentionally try to even out the fouls. (So, playing a WVU/SC-style usually works in their favor since they can't call a foul on every play). I personally thought Ketucky caught some hard breaks in the first half, which was somewhat reversed in the second half. But it wasn't the number of fouls that hurt Kentucky, it was the fact that some of their best players picked up early fouls and had to sit out large portions of the game.

Now were the calls that bad? I think a couple were bad -- Adebayo's "over the back" that cost them two points (I HATE over the back calls unless somebody literally shoves somebody in the back; how is going up for the rebound a foul?) and then the goaltend. But there are always some missed calls -- officials are human and not perfect. I just hate when people complain that there is some conspiracy of the NCAA that wants a particular team to win; that is complete rubbish. Wisconsin fans complain about the national championship game officiating vs Duke still (check out the Wikipedia page if you don't believe me). And we as a fanbase have complained about refs after hard losses too, so we're not immune -- it's an easy target to use as a scapegoat. (Check the in-game and after-game threads against South Carolina...). But Kentucky fans certainly have taken it to another level in this instance that is a bit depraved absolutely.

kAzE
03-29-2017, 12:14 PM
While I agree with you that Kentucky fans are irrational, I wouldn't look at number of fouls calls as if the game was called "fairly." Studies show that refs always unintentionally try to even out the fouls. (So, playing a WVU/SC-style usually works in their favor since they can't call a foul on every play). I personally thought Ketucky caught some hard breaks in the first half, which was somewhat reversed in the second half. But it wasn't the number of fouls that hurt Kentucky, it was the fact that some of their best players picked up early fouls and had to sit out large portions of the game.

Now were the calls that bad? I think a couple were bad -- Adebayo's "over the back" that cost them two points (I HATE over the back calls unless somebody literally shoves somebody in the back; how is going up for the rebound a foul?) and then the goaltend. But there are always some missed calls -- officials are human and not perfect. I just hate when people complain that there is some conspiracy of the NCAA that wants a particular team to win; that is complete rubbish. Wisconsin fans complain about the national championship game officiating vs Duke still (check out the Wikipedia page if you don't believe me). And we as a fanbase have complained about refs after hard losses too, so we're not immune -- it's an easy target to use as a scapegoat. (Check the in-game and after-game threads against South Carolina...). But Kentucky fans certainly have taken it to another level in this instance that is a bit depraved absolutely.

I thought the goaltend was the right call by the letter of the law. Could it have gone without a whistle? Sure, but upon review of the replay, a part of the ball was definitely over the rim when Bam touched it. The announcers also agreed that it was the right call.

The over the back call that cost them points was pretty bad imo, but the reach in foul on Stillman White by Fox was a foul. I don't understand what the fuss over that call was. He got fouled, and it was a stupid foul. There's no case there for blaming the refs for Fox's overaggressive hands. I've even seen people complaining about the foul on Monk during Justin Jackson's 3+1. He ran right under the shooter and undercut him. It was a clear foul. The over the back call was the only one that I have a problem with at all.

UNCfan
03-29-2017, 12:43 PM
As far as the early fouls keeping UK players out of the game, Pinson got two fouls very early in the first half and he played again in the first half. Not playing Fox and Bam the rest of the half was a coaches decision.

duketaylor
03-29-2017, 12:59 PM
To stay classy implies that one is/was classy recently; perhaps the thread is mis-titled:cool:

Henderson
03-29-2017, 01:25 PM
It's just a misunderstanding. When your mother is your sister, your son is your brother, and your uncle's dog looks like your cousin, things get confusing. I say we cut them some slack.

royalblue
03-29-2017, 01:48 PM

Pretty low brow.

I heard "the roof was on fire" and UK had some
Suggestions on what to do next :)

UNCfan
03-29-2017, 02:16 PM
http://www.wkyt.com/video?vid=417191933

makes me happy!

Tripping William
03-29-2017, 02:25 PM
http://www.wkyt.com/video?vid=417191933

makes me happy!

Not as much as this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFqomc1xsA) makes most of us happy. :o

Jeffrey
03-29-2017, 02:27 PM
It's just a misunderstanding. When your mother is your sister, your son is your brother, and your uncle's dog looks like your cousin, things get confusing. I say we cut them some slack.

All zebras or just some?

rsvman
03-29-2017, 02:30 PM
Not as much as this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGFqomc1xsA) makes most of us happy. :o

UNCfan, you absolutely HAD to know this was going to happen! I posted the same thing, but deleted it after I saw that Tripping William beat me to it. LOL

Jeffrey
03-29-2017, 02:32 PM
Meh. I greatly prefer the video of all the UNC fans reaction to Austin Rivers's game-winning shot.

Isn't that the one UNCfan linked? I've seen it enough, so I did not bother to watch. However, I never tire of the "F... Y.. Dean" video.

UNCfan
03-29-2017, 02:46 PM
UNCfan, you absolutely HAD to know this was going to happen! I posted the same thing, but deleted it after I saw that Tripping William beat me to it. LOL

That shot haunts my dreams. I will never fully recover from it. Maye's shot surely helps a little.

Henderson
03-29-2017, 03:06 PM
I heard "the roof was on fire" and UK had some
Suggestions on what to do next :)

Fires are all the same in trailer parks. The ceiling is the roof.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2017, 05:32 PM
Fires are all the same in trailer parks. The ceiling is the roof.

Then where do you toss the flaming sofa from?

Henderson
03-29-2017, 07:16 PM
Then where do you toss the flaming sofa from?

Why you wanna burn the sofa, Bubba? What y'all call a "stain" some folks call their "genetic legacy."

weezie
03-29-2017, 09:04 PM
BARF!

I grow weary of the kykuckoos and their idiocies.

gebhart
03-30-2017, 09:07 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster, but I figured I had a little insight to add as to where Big Blue Nation's fixation with John Higgins originated.

Driving through Kentucky on our way back to North Carolina from visiting my grandparents in St. Louis, we were able to find the UNC-UK game on the radio, courtesy of the UK Radio Network. The game was already 10 minutes in - which means Fox was already planted on the bench with his second foul - and we only listened until halftime, but it was amazing to me how critical the radio announcers, particularly the color guy, were of the officiating, and of Higgins in particular.

The color guy repeatedly referred to Higgins either by name or by "that stripe" any time he felt a call was missed. On a couple of UK fouls called by Higgins, he described Higgins as across the floor from the play or with no angle to see such a foul, strenuously implying that Higgins had no business making the foul call he just made. He also described a play in which (paraphrasing) "Malik Monk was hip-checked by Jackson right in front of that same stripe, with no foul call," and that Fox was "mugged" by multiple defenders on the last second drive of the first half.

During play, he also (rightly) pointed out that of UK's first eight fouls in the game, two each were called on Kentucky's three leading scorers.

I have never heard an announcer on radio or TV be so repeatedly and strongly critical of the officiating generally, and of an individual official specifically. And that was all within the second 10 minutes of the game that I actually got to listen to.

As an ABC'er, I have to admit that listening to these descriptions of the action and officiating raised my core temperature slightly - though I have to keep my thoughts respectfully inside, being married to a UNC alum. I can't imagine the effect the announcers had on a die-hard Kentucky fan who probably puts the UK Radio Network announcers on a level equal to their Sunday pastor in terms of speakers of religious truth.

Anyway, having listened on the radio, I was unable to confirm any of their descriptions with the eye test, but neither were any of the Kentucky fans listening to them. I assume and hope the national TV announcers were more measured in their call of the game.

killerleft
03-30-2017, 09:51 AM
Long time lurker, first time poster, but I figured I had a little insight to add as to where Big Blue Nation's fixation with John Higgins originated.

Driving through Kentucky on our way back to North Carolina from visiting my grandparents in St. Louis, we were able to find the UNC-UK game on the radio, courtesy of the UK Radio Network. The game was already 10 minutes in - which means Fox was already planted on the bench with his second foul - and we only listened until halftime, but it was amazing to me how critical the radio announcers, particularly the color guy, were of the officiating, and of Higgins in particular.

The color guy repeatedly referred to Higgins either by name or by "that stripe" any time he felt a call was missed. On a couple of UK fouls called by Higgins, he described Higgins as across the floor from the play or with no angle to see such a foul, strenuously implying that Higgins had no business making the foul call he just made. He also described a play in which (paraphrasing) "Malik Monk was hip-checked by Jackson right in front of that same stripe, with no foul call," and that Fox was "mugged" by multiple defenders on the last second drive of the first half.

During play, he also (rightly) pointed out that of UK's first eight fouls in the game, two each were called on Kentucky's three leading scorers.

I have never heard an announcer on radio or TV be so repeatedly and strongly critical of the officiating generally, and of an individual official specifically. And that was all within the second 10 minutes of the game that I actually got to listen to.

As an ABC'er, I have to admit that listening to these descriptions of the action and officiating raised my core temperature slightly - though I have to keep my thoughts respectfully inside, being married to a UNC alum. I can't imagine the effect the announcers had on a die-hard Kentucky fan who probably puts the UK Radio Network announcers on a level equal to their Sunday pastor in terms of speakers of religious truth.

Anyway, having listened on the radio, I was unable to confirm any of their descriptions with the eye test, but neither were any of the Kentucky fans listening to them. I assume and hope the national TV announcers were more measured in their call of the game.

They were, they were. They were too busy avoiding any mention about the cheating nature of UNC, and how the precious Heels should be unable to compete in the postseason in the first place.

Atlanta Duke
03-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Leave it to Seth Greenberg to throw shade at the ref by saying "there is a history" between ref John Higgins and UK/Cal (while providing no support for the statement) and then going on to say Higgins crossed the line by naming his roofing company Roofarees.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19029689/ncaa-official-john-higgins-receiving-death-threats-kentucky-wildcats-fans-following-loss-north-carolina-tar-heels

dukebluesincebirth
03-30-2017, 12:16 PM
A unc fan told me yesterday that UK fans had begun circulating a petition saying that unc should not even be allowed to be playing in this tournament. Anyone know where we can find this petition?

wavedukefan70s
03-30-2017, 01:19 PM
https://www.change.org/p/national-collegiate-athletic-association-ban-north-carolina-tar-heels-from-2016-ncaa-men-s-basketball-tournament?recruiter=false&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
Its closed though.
Im not condoning what the u.k. fans are doing .but they way this tourney has been reffed isnt up to standard of what should be expected on a national stage in the biggest tourney of the players college careers.imho there have been way to many contriversial calls going on.
Top tier refs get top tier pay .hence the product should reflect it.im not refering to duke games either .its been bad this year all around.

Henderson
03-30-2017, 01:59 PM
A unc fan told me yesterday that UK fans had begun circulating a petition saying that unc should not even be allowed to be playing in this tournament. Anyone know where we can find this petition?

It's in the dustbin marked "stupid irrelevant efforts that waste the time of people but somehow make them feel better." It's a big dustbin, so it has a lot of room for such a big label.

weezie
03-30-2017, 02:40 PM
...Higgins crossed the line by naming his roofing company Roofarees...

Crossed the line?! I think he should be smacked around with a pig bladder.

Tripping William
03-30-2017, 02:42 PM

It's in the dustbin marked "stupid irrelevant efforts that waste the time of people but somehow make them feel better." It's a big dustbin, so it has a lot of room for such a big label.

At least they haven't (to my knowledge) gotten the Kentucky legislature involved. That puts them a step ahead of Arkansas and its legislature . . . . .