PDA

View Full Version : Giles to the Draft

bluedevil007
03-28-2017, 02:06 PM
Per Gary Parrish

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Es erp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Not really a surprise but I'm sure I'm not the only one who was just pie in the sky hoping...

Lid
03-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Looks like it's official (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/846784263454380034)

kAzE
03-28-2017, 02:10 PM
Congrats, and good luck, Harry! Wish you could have been 100% during your time at Duke, but we still loved having you here. Stay healthy and dominate the NBA.

dukebluesincebirth
03-28-2017, 02:13 PM
No choice. Sometimes life makes decisions for you. Probably my biggest letdown of any recruit since I've been a Duke fan. No one's fault. Damn injuries. Best of luck Harry.

lotusland
03-28-2017, 02:14 PM
I hope Giles is a first round pick and goes on to have a great NBA career. I wish he could have experienced more success at a Duke but his effort and attitude were outstanding. I'm glad Duke Med took great care of his injured knees.

I'm curious to know if he's hired an agent but I think he needs to go and not look back.

CDu
03-28-2017, 02:15 PM
Not surprising. There was - maybe - an inkling of hope that he'd want to return to improve his draft stock. But he's going to go in the first round, and it's really hard to turn down guaranteed money. Especially with the injury history he has had.

Here's hoping Bolden sticks around, and that one of Allen and Kennard returns!

And best of luck to Giles in the NBA. Congrats on making your dream come true!

azzefkram
03-28-2017, 02:19 PM
Unsurprising news is unsurprising. Best of luck Harry. While I'll miss seeing you in a Duke uniform, too much at stake to stay.

dukelifer
03-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Giles had to go - but his will be a very difficult road . The NBA is not forgiving. He will need to work incredibly hard. The combine and workout reports will be interesting.

BD80
03-28-2017, 02:26 PM
I hope he falls into a good situation. Several positions in the first round could cost him serious $ up front, but in the context of a long career, not so much. Having him wind up with a contender with a good coach would be far preferable to a situation like the Knicks, Nyets, etc.

grateful_duke
03-28-2017, 02:34 PM
With all the knee injuries, you really can't blame Harry for going to the NBA now. Who knows what could happen to him next season at Duke, and then his entire family's financial future would go down the drain essentially.

Best of luck to him, he could end up being a complete steal for a pretty good team mid-late in the 1st.

COYS
03-28-2017, 02:36 PM
I hope he falls into a good situation. Several positions in the first round could cost him serious $ up front, but in the context of a long career, not so much. Having him wind up with a contender with a good coach would be far preferable to a situation like the Knicks, Nyets, etc.

I wish him luck, too. Honestly, I hope that Harry ends up making a recovery like Joel Embiid . . . but without the new injury during his comeback season. The 76ers were very cautious with Embiid, and it seemed to pay off at first. Harry was the #1 rated recruit for a reason. I hope it becomes obvious why he was rated so highly in a few years.

JasonEvans
03-28-2017, 02:38 PM
I'd say 30% chance he turns into an All-Star NBA player some day; 40% chance he is a decent rotation player but never all that great; and a 30% chance he never fully recovers from all the injuries and is out of the league in 3-5 years. Someone drafting in the low-teens will take him and it is probably a really good pick when they do.

-Jason "I'm rooting for him to become great... thanks for giving us the best you could, Harry!" Evans

scottdude8
03-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Maybe I was a tad naive, but I thought there was a slightly greater than 50% chance Harry was going to come back. I saw some parallels between his situation and Harrison Barnes', as both were consensus No. 1 recruits who disappointed in their first years (Harry due to injury, Harrison due to being at UNC, haha). Barnes returned for a sophomore season and ended up the No. 7 overall pick, whereas after his freshman year he probably wouldn't have been a lottery pick. I was holding out hope that Harry might see a situation like that, combined with the potential next year's team has, and return.

All that said, you can't blame the kid at all for taking the guaranteed money. In today's day and age, I've made it my policy to never be mad at a players' decision to leave early if they're guaranteed to be a first round pick, even if I think that guarantee might be due to the NBA's silly emphasis on potential over performance at the college level. I'll be rooting for Harry to fulfill all that potential in the NBA.

Now, though, my anxiety is extremely heightened regarding Grayson and Luke. If neither of them return, next year's team will essentially have no major carry over from this year, which means we'll be Kentucky-lite for at least one season. That would be a gut punch, even though I'm sure with as talented as our recruits look it'd still be a fun and skilled team to watch. At this point, if one of Grayson/Luke return we're a top-10 team, and if both return we're the consensus No. 1. It's going to be a tough wait for that news.

Forgive my tangent. All the best to Harry. Go represent Duke well in the NBA!

scottdude8
03-28-2017, 02:46 PM
I'd say 30% chance he turns into an All-NBA player some day; 40% chance he is a decent rotation player but never all that great; and a 30% chance he never fully recovers from all the injuries and is out of the league in 3-5 years. Someone drafting in the low-teens will take him and it is probably a really good pick when they do.

-Jason "I'm rooting for him to become great... thanks for giving us the best you could, Harry!" Evans

Here's hoping my Pistons (I say "my" lightly with the craptastic style of basketball they've played since the glory years of Chauncey, Rip, and Tayshaun ended abruptly, haha) are that team in the low-teens who takes that chance. A frontcourt of Andre Drummond and a full-strength Harry Giles could be scary good with the athleticism it'd have. No team would get a clean look at the basket from the paint.

superdave
03-28-2017, 02:46 PM
Hoping for the best, a la Embiid and Livingston. Godspeed, Harry.

miramar
03-28-2017, 02:54 PM
Giles had to go - but his will be a very difficult road . The NBA is not forgiving. He will need to work incredibly hard. The combine and workout reports will be interesting.

I know he can't wait around and risk another injury, and that people who know way more than I do are projecting him as a middle to late first round pick, but I just don't see it.

I hope that he proves me wrong and that he has a spectacular NBA career, but the combine could well show serious deficiencies with his lateral movement and his reaction time.

kako
03-28-2017, 03:00 PM
Probably my biggest letdown of any recruit since I've been a Duke fan.

Anyone remember Marty Nessley? Cat-like quickness? Multiple championships? I can still see the Chronicle's headlines now... Not dogging Marty, but certainly that was a letdown. Being 7-2, at least he played in the Association, albeit the 80's Clippers. And played defense against Mr. Robinson in the Elite 8 against Navy at the end of the half (probably his one shining moment?).

AtlDuke72
03-28-2017, 03:01 PM

I don't know of any careers available to kids coming out of college which are not difficult and where they don't have to work incredibly hard if they want to be successful. The truth is that Giles probably did not want to go to college for one year but had no choice.

I think that the NBA needs a rule like the baseball rule . Let those that want to skip college go where they want to go. Those that choose to go to school should be obligated for three years. Both the NBA and the NCAA would be much better for it.

CharlestonDave
03-28-2017, 03:04 PM
It would be absolutely stupid for him to stay another year. Aside from becoming a rich kid in a few months , why risk another injury.

I certainly wish him well but in a few years I will totally forget that he was a Dukie as he contributed virtually nothing in his stay here.

If he came back to get his degree at Duke I would change my mind .

dukelifer
03-28-2017, 03:10 PM
I don't know of any careers available to kids coming out of college which are not difficult and where they don't have to work incredibly hard if they want to be successful. The truth is that Giles probably did not want to go to college for one year but had no choice.

I think that the NBA needs a rule like the baseball rule . Let those that want to skip college go where they want to go. Those that choose to go to school should be obligated for three years. Both the NBA and the NCAA would be much better for it.

Yes- but Giles is not a typical case. He showed serious physical limitations to play at the NBA level. Many kids who go in the league will be physically ready to play but will need to work to evolve their game. Giles is still not ready to play at a high level in college. His work will need to be much beyond the typical first rounder- should he be fortunate enough to get drafted in that round.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 03:12 PM

How do you figure the NBA would be better? I have been trying for a long time to come up with an argument to change the rule, but can't see a benefit to the NBA.

AtlDuke72
03-28-2017, 03:15 PM
Yes- but Giles is not a typical case. He showed serious physical limitations to play at the NBA level. Many kids who go in the league will be physically ready to play but will need to work to evolve their game. Giles is still not ready to play at a high level in college. His work will need to be much beyond the typical first rounder- should he be fortunate enough to get drafted in that round.

If he does not get drafted in the first round then he will have made a very bad decision by leaving school. ( I disagree that leaving would be "absolutely stupid' as Charleston Dave wrote). Giles could play another year at Duke, prove that he can play, and get drafted very high resulting in a much better contract.

Olympic Fan
03-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Just to update the 2018 Duke roster, after the Giles decision:

-- Duke has seven players returning at the moment (Allen Sr.; Kennard Jr.; Vrankovic, Jr.; Jackson, So.; Bolden, So.; DeLaurier, So.; White, So.) and three players signed for next year (Carter, Trent, OConnell).

That can (and probably will) change, but at the moment, we have 10 of the 13 roster spots filled for next season.

That leaves three spots for recruits or transfers. We have offered Knox, Duval and Bamba.

(Note: I left off Justin Robinson, a walk-on who is likely to get a scholarship if we come up short of 13)

I guess my point is that we don't have to lose anybody else to make room for the recruits we want ... although, unfortunately, I think we still have one or two defections to go.

kAzE
03-28-2017, 03:16 PM
How do you figure the NBA would be better? I have been trying for a long time to come up with an argument to change the rule, but can't see a benefit to the NBA.

There's the problem right there. Everything is set up to benefit the NBA. Not the players. The NBA doesn't give a crap about players getting an education. They just want to see players playing at a high level of competition for a year to get more accurate scouting.

nmduke2001
03-28-2017, 03:17 PM
As a fan, I was stressed every time Harry was on the floor due to fear of another injury. I can't imagine how hard it was on him. It's like holding a winning lottery ticket, but in order to cash it in you have to walk to the lottery office on a windy day.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 03:18 PM
There's the problem right there. Everything is set up to benefit the NBA. Not the players. The NBA doesn't give a crap about players getting an education. They just want to see players playing at a high level of competition for a year to get more accurate scouting.

But.... it is an NBA rule. Why would they change it out of the goodness of their hearts to benefit the NCAA?

kAzE
03-28-2017, 03:19 PM
But... it is an NBA rule. Why would they change it out of the goodness of their hearts to benefit the NCAA?

I'm agreeing with you . . .

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 03:21 PM
I'm agreeing with you . . .

Ah, good. Sorry, got your reply crossed up with Atl's post I was replying to where he suggested it.

AtlDuke72
03-28-2017, 03:25 PM

The benefits to the NBA would include: 1) Getting to evaluate players for several years to see which ones really will make it. There are many, many examples of the one and dones being total flops which costs the league millions of dollars 2) Getting bigger, stronger and more mature players and people into the league. Okafor is a good example of immature behavior by young players. 3) getting the advantage of having several years of college coaching which costs the league nothing 4) getting players who are known to the general public and fan bases of the college game. I am sure that there must be more. What advantage does the NBA get by taking in 19 year old vs. 21 year old players?

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2017, 03:26 PM
As a fan, I was stressed every time Harry was on the floor due to fear of another injury. I can't imagine how hard it was on him. It's like holding a winning lottery ticket, but in order to cash it in you have to walk to the lottery office on a windy day.

Yup. This post sums up my thoughts exactly. Every time Harry was on the floor, I would hold my breath. I can't imagine the toll this had on him.

It's the exact same feeling Bucks fans are going to have next year with Jabari. Or Bucks fans had with Michael Redd (jesus - sucks to be a Bucks fan).

Tripping William
03-28-2017, 03:26 PM
<snip> although, unfortunately, I think we still have one or two defections to go.

Here's hoping it's limited to "one or two" (and preferably just "one").

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 03:29 PM
The benefits to the NBA would include: 1) Getting to evaluate players for several years to see which ones really will make it. There are many, many examples of the one and dones being total flops which costs the league millions of dollars 2) Getting bigger, stronger and more mature players and people into the league. Okafor is a good example of immature behavior by young players. 3) getting the advantage of having several years of college coaching which costs the league nothing 4) getting players who are known to the general public and fan bases of the college game. I am sure that there must be more. What advantage does the NBA get by taking in 19 year old vs. 21 year old players?

1) A single year is plenty sufficient for NBA GMs to make their evaluations. Far better than basing it in high school youtube videos, but enough to see which players have it and which don't.
2) The NBA wants stars as fast as they can get them, maturity be damned. If their players have earned some stat recognition by playing at year at Duke or UK, all the better.
3) NBA coaches, practices, and weight rooms will develop a player far more quickly than college will.
4) Sure, name recognition is nice, but the bottom line is the NBA wants talent and potential in the league and on rosters as fast as possible.

I just don't see any advantage to the Association making a change. I would love to be wrong.

AtlDuke72
03-28-2017, 03:31 PM

My understanding is that the league wanted to extend the one and done to two or three years so somebody must agree with me. The problem was that the player's union opposed it . Now that makes no sense whatsoever since the OADs come in and take jobs. Again, let the Lebrons and Kobes of the world go straight to the pros if they want. The NCAA needs to do something to protect itself. The schools pay a fortune to recruit, educate and coach the teams. It is not unreasonable to restrict players for a certain length of time if they choose to go to school. Businesses do it all the time with covenants not to compete. It seems to work just fine in baseball and football.

superdave
03-28-2017, 03:33 PM
Has it been reported anywhere whether Giles is hiring an agent or not? I wonder what he does if his knees wont pass an NBA physical. Does he go back to school or just watch his stock drop? Dejuan Blair's knees did not check out. He was drafted in the 2nd round and played over 400 games in the league.

westwall
03-28-2017, 03:33 PM

-- Duke has seven players returning at the moment u ... although, unfortunately, I think we still have one or two defections to go.

And I am hoping, hoping, hoping, hoping that it is limited to one!!

CDu
03-28-2017, 03:35 PM
And I am hoping, hoping, hoping, hoping that it is limited to one!!

Agreed. If we keep three of the four of Allen, Kennard, Bolden, and Jackson, we'll be in pretty darn good shape.

Matches
03-28-2017, 03:35 PM
The schools pay a fortune to recruit, educate and coach the teams. It is not unreasonable to restrict players for a certain length of time if they choose to go to school. Businesses do it all the time with covenants not to compete.

Businesses pay people, and those covenants not to compete aren't legally enforceable except as part of a contract wherein both sides are bound.

The non-athlete students at Duke have no restrictions on their ability to transfer, leave school, etc. Nor is the school necessarily obligated to the students - even the athletes' scholarships are renewed on a year-to-year basis.

moonpie23
03-28-2017, 03:37 PM
best of luck to you, harry..........and thanks for picking DUKE.....

AtlDuke72
03-28-2017, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15;969102]1) A single year is plenty sufficient for NBA GMs to make their evaluations. Far better than basing it in high school youtube videos, but enough to see which players have it and which don't.

I doubt that this is correct. Good luck evaluating Bolden and Giles after this year

2) The NBA wants stars as fast as they can get them, maturity be damned. If their players have earned some stat recognition by playing at year at Duke or UK, all the better.

Again, I doubt that this is correct. The NBA will get a new crop of players every year. Since the league wanted to move the age back my thought is that they would be just as happy with the new players coming in at 21 with the added name recognition.

3) NBA coaches, practices, and weight rooms will develop a player far more quickly than college will.

I don't know if this is correct. With an 82 game schedule I wonder how much time is spent practicing or concentrating in the weight rooms.

4) Sure, name recognition is nice, but the bottom line is the NBA wants talent and potential in the league and on rosters as fast as possible.

I think that they want new talent each year. I think that they would prefer that the talent be more mature and predictable. Again, the super stars could skip school all together.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 03:43 PM
[QUOTE=Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15;969102]1) A single year is plenty sufficient for NBA GMs to make their evaluations. Far better than basing it in high school youtube videos, but enough to see which players have it and which don't.

I doubt that this is correct. Good luck evaluating Bolden and Giles after this year

Again, I doubt that this is correct. The NBA will get a new crop of players every year. Since the league wanted to move the age back my thought is that they would be just as happy with the new players coming in at 21 with the added name recognition.

I don't know if this is correct. With an 82 game schedule I wonder how much time is spent practicing or concentrating in the weight rooms.

I think that they want new talent each year. I think that they would prefer that the talent be more mature and predictable. Again, the super stars could skip school all together.

If all those things were true, why allow early entries at all?

Follow the money - if it made $$$ to keep players in school, I promise the NBA would do it.

CDu
03-28-2017, 03:46 PM
If all those things were true, why allow early entries at all?

Follow the money - if it made $$$ to keep players in school, I promise the NBA would do it.

That's a collectively-bargained decision, not a unilateral choice by the NBA. The NBA got the Players' Association to accept the one-and-done rule about 10 years ago during collective bargaining. And they have - in fact - argued that they would like to raise the age limit again if they could. But that is an issue that has to be agreed upon with the Players' Union, and the Union doesn't want to raise the age limit without other significant concessions by the NBA.

Edouble
03-28-2017, 03:51 PM
It would be absolutely stupid for him to stay another year. Aside from becoming a rich kid in a few months , why risk another injury.

I certainly wish him well but in a few years I will totally forget that he was a Dukie as he contributed virtually nothing in his stay here.

If he came back to get his degree at Duke I would change my mind .

He slapped the floor once, but nobody saw it. He's a Blue Devil. Never forget!

Best of luck to Harry. I would honestly be unhappy if you came back. There's only one right decision for your future, as far as I am concerned.

MChambers
03-28-2017, 03:58 PM
I wish him all the best. Hope he shows that talent and stays healthy.

I'm actually relieved, because I don't see him and Carter fitting well together. Also, I would have hated to see him get injured again. Since he'll be in the NBA, it's fairly unlikely I'll see him.

Atlanta Duke
03-28-2017, 04:05 PM
I wish him all the best. Hope he shows that talent and stays healthy.

I'm actually relieved, because I don't see him and Carter fitting well together. Also, I would have hated to see him get injured again. Since he'll be in the NBA, it's fairly unlikely I'll see him.

If Harry had been reinjured while playing at Duke the crew that was saying he should have simply sat out this season would have been merciless with the hot takes on how K selfishly refused to sit Harry Giles for his own good.

He needs to go - he will be picked in the first round by someone if he gets through the physicals and the risk of getting injured or confirming his game is drastically diminished after the multiple injuries is not worth the potential upside of improving his draft position by returning

Troublemaker
03-28-2017, 04:06 PM
GoDuke press release (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211536528&DB_OEM_ID=4200):

“Playing in the NBA has been my goal for as long as I can remember, and I’m so excited to take the next step in that journey,” Giles said. “My time at Duke has been a dream come true. I’ve built so many strong relationships here and I have so many people to thank, from my teammates and coaches to our medical staff and strength coach. I can’t understate how proud I am to be part of the Duke Basketball program forever.”

Good luck, Harry!

jipops
03-28-2017, 04:07 PM
I would venture to say that the Harry Giles we eventually see in the NBA will in no way resemble the player we've seen in Durham. As fans we pretty much missed out. But there is no blaming a kid for making this choice, go get paid while you can.

phaedrus
03-28-2017, 04:07 PM
Yup. This post sums up my thoughts exactly. Every time Harry was on the floor, I would hold my breath. I can't imagine the toll this had on him.

It's the exact same feeling Bucks fans are going to have next year with Jabari. Or Bucks fans had with Michael Redd (jesus - sucks to be a Bucks fan).

And with the 18th pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select...

elvis14
03-28-2017, 04:14 PM
I would venture to say that the Harry Giles we eventually see in the NBA will in no way resemble the player we've seen in Durham. As fans we pretty much missed out. But there is no blaming a kid for making this choice, go get paid while you can.

I agree 100%. I enjoyed Harry giving us what he had, even though we wished it was more (we know he wished it was more). I'm going to enjoy watching him play in the NBA.

Natty_B
03-28-2017, 04:17 PM
In a world where those dudes get drafted in the first round it just makes sense for HG to go at the first opportunity. I remember Keeley tweeting something, just before the season, about how she thought Giles would be a 10mpg guy at most. Turned out she was right.

devildeac
03-28-2017, 04:19 PM

-- Duke has seven players returning at the moment (Allen Sr.; Kennard Jr.; Vrankovic, Jr.; Jackson, So.; Bolden, So.; DeLaurier, So.; White, So.) and three players signed for next year (Carter, Trent, OConnell).

That can (and probably will) change, but at the moment, we have 10 of the 13 roster spots filled for next season.

That leaves three spots for recruits or transfers. We have offered Knox, Duval and Bamba.

(Note: I left off Justin Robinson, a walk-on who is likely to get a scholarship if we come up short of 13)

I guess my point is that we don't have to lose anybody else to make room for the recruits we want ... although, unfortunately, I think we still have one or two defections to go.

And, hopefully, not three. :(

CDu
03-28-2017, 04:19 PM
And with the 18th pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Milwaukee Bucks select...

Here's hoping he goes sooner than that to my Bulls.

chrishoke
03-28-2017, 04:23 PM
Best of luck Harry, and thanks for being a Blue Devil!

Edouble
03-28-2017, 04:30 PM
In a world where those dudes get drafted in the first round it just makes sense for HG to go at the first opportunity. I remember Keeley tweeting something, just before the season, about how she thought Giles would be a 10mpg guy at most. Turned out she was right.

She tweeted that she thought he wouldn't play a minute. Don't let her off the hook so easy.

dukefan_828
03-28-2017, 04:34 PM
Just finished watching MDAA Scrimmage... Goodbye & Best of luck HG.. Now lets roll out the blue carpet and welcome mr Mohamad Bamba (Fingers Crossed)!! He looked GREAT in the scrimmage very high motor. I would say it would be a def upgrade from the HG that was available to us this past year. Also he said academics are VERY important to him (needless to say Cheat is not in his final 4), as well as a great head coach.. DING DING DING!! But he also said that he wants to play w a great PG so we may need to secure Duval in order to land him. Ventured over to BBN board and boy are they a classy bunch:rolleyes::rolleyes: but they seem less than confident about bamba bringing his talents to UK and give the edge to us atm. not that there opinions are worth 0.02

UNCfan
03-28-2017, 04:56 PM

Taken in January of 2015. Who would have thought that only one of these kids would have scored in an NCAA tournament game?

kAzE
03-28-2017, 04:58 PM
Taken in January of 2015. Who would have thought that only one of these kids would have scored in an NCAA tournament game?

And who would have thought it was the goofy looking dude on the left? :p

Nice find.

uh_no
03-28-2017, 04:59 PM
Maybe I was a tad naive, but I thought there was a slightly greater than 50% chance Harry was going to come back

yeahhhh....I think that was on the naive side. the comparisons to barnes are less apt since barnes didn't really deal with an injury. Plus barnes thought he was the second coming of michael jordan....so after his freshman year, when he didn't win POTY or a natty, he had to come back to fulfill his destiny.

Edouble
03-28-2017, 05:01 PM
yeahhhh...I think that was on the naive side. the comparisons to barnes are less apt since barnes didn't really deal with an injury. Plus barnes thought he was the second coming of michael jordan...so after his freshman year, when he didn't win POTY or a natty, he had to come back to fulfill his destiny.

Barnes says the basement is the floor.

Scorp4me
03-28-2017, 05:08 PM
Feels like the best scenario for all involved. Yes he could have returned and cemented his status, but he could equally have never regained his athleticism or worse yet gotten hurt again. He would have lost out and everyone would have tried to cast Duke in a bad light as a result. I hope he succeeds!

miramar
03-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Has it been reported anywhere whether Giles is hiring an agent or not? I wonder what he does if his knees wont pass an NBA physical. Does he go back to school or just watch his stock drop? Dejuan Blair's knees did not check out. He was drafted in the 2nd round and played over 400 games in the league.

indicated that, "According to multiple reports, Giles is expected to hire an agent."

I have no idea what reports they are referring to, but I'm sure that the Chronicle staff is pretty well connected.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/03/harry-giles-joins-jayson-tatum-in-declaring-for-nba-draft

DukieInBrasil
03-28-2017, 06:27 PM
funny how the photo on the front page was of one of the worst shots Harry took all year.
I wish Harry well. He didn't do much at Duke, but he's had so many injuries that it's not surprising he didn't dazzle.

cato
03-28-2017, 06:32 PM
She tweeted that she thought he wouldn't play a minute. Don't let her off the hook so easy.

Actually, she got it pretty much right:

Laura Keeley, who no longer covers Duke, but who I still follow, just tweeted: "Always got a vibe that would lead me to be shocked if [Giles] averages more than 10 mins/game this year."

OZZIE4DUKE
03-28-2017, 06:57 PM
As Duke fans, we got cheated out of Kyrie Irving and Harry Giles. But we've had a multitude of riches to soothe our losses. Good luck Harry. LGD GTHc!

ipatent
03-28-2017, 07:20 PM
I'd say 30% chance he turns into an All-Star NBA player some day; 40% chance he is a decent rotation player but never all that great; and a 30% chance he never fully recovers from all the injuries and is out of the league in 3-5 years. Someone drafting in the low-teens will take him and it is probably a really good pick when they do.

Never any guarantees even for healthy stars entering the league. Look at Ralph Sampson and Greg Oden, two stars gone before their time.

duketaylor
03-28-2017, 07:28 PM
Never any guarantees even for healthy stars entering the league. Look at Ralph Sampson and Greg Oden, two stars gone before their time.

Or Sam Bowie.

NSDukeFan
03-28-2017, 07:39 PM

I doubt he noticed you holding your breath, so don't think it affected him. Sorry, couldn't resist. 😁

best of luck to you, harry......and thanks for picking DUKE....
Definitely. I was optimistic all year we would see more from him and feel sad we didn't see him reach his potential at Duke, but I'm glad he was on the team and hope he stars in the NBA.

GoDuke press release (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211536528&DB_OEM_ID=4200):

“Playing in the NBA has been my goal for as long as I can remember, and I’m so excited to take the next step in that journey,” Giles said. “My time at Duke has been a dream come true. I’ve built so many strong relationships here and I have so many people to thank, from my teammates and coaches to our medical staff and strength coach. I can’t understate how proud I am to be part of the Duke Basketball program forever.”

Good luck, Harry!
Thanks for sharing this quote. All the best for a full recovery, showing his full potential and staying healthy.

weezie
03-28-2017, 09:32 PM
Actually, she got it pretty much right:

Yay! What a savant.

Dukehky
03-28-2017, 09:59 PM
I understand this. I don't like it. I know his family's not well off, and this way he is guaranteed to be a first round pick (he is, someone is going to take him) and collect a pay check for playing basketball, not to mention achieving a lifelong dream of his. But I just feel he would be better off in the long run had he come back. I don't think another injury is any more likely than for anyone else, and if we got a full season of even 85% Harry Giles, he's a top 5 pick next year.

I get it. I just selfishly wanted to see him play for Duke the way I saw him in high school.

Note: Insurance payouts are NOTHING compared to your first NBA contract, so I would never deign to argue that coming back is acceptable because of the insurance they're allowed to purchase. It's nice to know, but it's a pretty terrible consolation prize.

Furniture
03-28-2017, 11:18 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/846792880618377216/video/1

Great kid. I don't care if he is a OAD. I am a fan!

ncexnyc
03-29-2017, 12:44 AM
"I can’t understate how proud I am to be part of the Duke Basketball program forever.”

Reminds me of when Scott Hall and Kevin Nash used to say, "NWO for Life." Maybe it's been a rough week, but it seems like these kids are tripping over themselves trying to see who can get out the door first.

I can't relate to a million dollar payday, but the only place I've ever been (7th RRFS) that I can equate to some of the statements we've seen from these kids, well they had to drag me away from that place as I didn't leave on my own.

burnspbesq
03-29-2017, 12:58 AM

Best of luck to Harry. I would honestly be unhappy if you came back. There's only one right decision for your future, as far as I am concerned.

Here's the counter-argument.

Suppose the following perfectly plausible scenario plays out. Suppose Giles is among the last five picks in the first round because of entirely legitimate concerns about his durability. Suppose he doesn't pan out. Suppose there is no second contract, so that his total NBA earnings are around $2 million, plus or minus a couple hundred thousand. Suppose he plays in a high-tax state and isn't careful with his money. I'm only being partially facetious when I say he may not have enough money left to pay for three years at Duke.

I understand the thought process, but I think he's making a bad bet.

uh_no
03-29-2017, 01:02 AM
As Duke fans, we got cheated out of Kyrie Irving and Harry Giles. But we've had a multitude of riches to soothe our losses. Good luck Harry. LGD GTHc!

and which sometimes necessarily comes in bottle form :)

gep
03-29-2017, 01:03 AM
I would think that his decision to declare, plus his decision to get an agent, was very much a process of consulting with family and Coach K (who has much insight/connections to the NBA pipeline). So, no, maybe not really a bad bet, but a really good calculated bet.:cool:

Neals384
03-29-2017, 01:30 AM

Here you go. Watch closely: floor slap, block and alley oop.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SelfassuredMiserableConch-size_restricted.gif

Troublemaker
03-29-2017, 01:40 AM

Suppose the following perfectly plausible scenario plays out. Suppose Giles is among the last five picks in the first round because of entirely legitimate concerns about his durability. Suppose he doesn't pan out. Suppose there is no second contract, so that his total NBA earnings are around $2 million, plus or minus a couple hundred thousand. Suppose he plays in a high-tax state and isn't careful with his money. I'm only being partially facetious when I say he may not have enough money left to pay for three years at Duke.

He's making a good bet because there's a scenario where he gets $0 if he gets injured next season. If he were already well-off financially, I'd agree that the case to return is strong. But he's not, and he can't take the risk. If he remains healthy, it's really the second contract that matters anyway. As for the possibility that he "isn't careful with his money," the Duke Brotherhood will recommend an agent and financial advisor, I'm sure. That helps a lot.

g-money
03-29-2017, 02:59 AM

I think "departures" would be a better word than "defections". Sorry to nitpick.

mr. synellinden
03-29-2017, 03:01 AM
He's making a good bet because there's a scenario where he gets $0 if he gets injured next season. If he were already well-off financially, I'd agree that the case to return is strong. But he's not, and he can't take the risk. If he remains healthy, it's really the second contract that matters anyway. As for the possibility that he "isn't careful with his money," the Duke Brotherhood will recommend an agent and financial advisor, I'm sure. That helps a lot.

I agree mostly with the logic, but then why play this season at all? If he hadn't played a minute (and avoided all risk of injury) would he not have been a first round pick, and maybe even higher than he will be now that by playing he created more doubt about his recovery?

bluedev_92
03-29-2017, 06:23 AM
Hoping for the best, a la Embiid and Livingston. Godspeed, Harry.

Not sure Embiid is best example. He did get drafted very high (don't think this will happen to Harry), but being from the Philly area - we know he's been hurt an awful lot... Hope for the best for Harry!!

Troublemaker
03-29-2017, 07:39 AM
I agree mostly with the logic, but then why play this season at all? If he hadn't played a minute (and avoided all risk of injury) would he not have been a first round pick, and maybe even higher than he will be now that by playing he created more doubt about his recovery?

No doubt about it -- he took a risk this season. But now you're asking him to do it again. (If playing this season didn't help his stock, it needs to be treated as a sunk cost.)

Harry played because players want to play (https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/why-duke), but now the choice is between playing for free and playing (in the D-league most likely) while getting paid first-round money.

dukelifer
03-29-2017, 07:54 AM
No doubt about it -- he took a risk this season. But now you're asking him to do it again. (If playing this season didn't help his stock, it needs to be treated as a sunk cost.)

Harry played because players want to play (https://dukeblueplanet.exposure.co/why-duke), but now the choice is between playing for free and playing (in the D-league most likely) while getting paid first-round money.

The main gamble is whether he will get picked in the first round. This is a very unusual situation. If he does not - he will still have a chance- ala Whiteside on Miami who got drafted in the second round- still got a contract and then after injuries worked his way back to the league. Much of what happens from here on out will depend on Harry's attitude and drive.

duke74
03-29-2017, 09:26 AM
The main gamble is whether he will get picked in the first round. This is a very unusual situation. If he does not - he will still have a chance- ala Whiteside on Miami who got drafted in the second round- still got a contract and then after injuries worked his way back to the league. Much of what happens from here on out will depend on Harry's attitude and drive.

And of course, (hopefully) his health.

Chicago 1995
03-29-2017, 09:39 AM
I understand this. I don't like it. I know his family's not well off, and this way he is guaranteed to be a first round pick (he is, someone is going to take him) and collect a pay check for playing basketball, not to mention achieving a lifelong dream of his. But I just feel he would be better off in the long run had he come back. I don't think another injury is any more likely than for anyone else, and if we got a full season of even 85% Harry Giles, he's a top 5 pick next year.

I get it. I just selfishly wanted to see him play for Duke the way I saw him in high school.

Note: Insurance payouts are NOTHING compared to your first NBA contract, so I would never deign to argue that coming back is acceptable because of the insurance they're allowed to purchase. It's nice to know, but it's a pretty terrible consolation prize.

I doubt Harry would be able to get insurance given his medical history, and if someone was willing to underwrite that risk, the premium would be prohibitively high. Harry's got one option -- take the chance now while he has it. He's making the right choice, and I'll be rooting like heck for him to continue to regain his confidence and stay healthy at the next level, as I suspect we all do.

Jeffrey
03-29-2017, 05:41 PM

I like and learn from outside the box thinkers. In your scenario, what would be the reason for him not panning out (health, talent, etc.)? Your response will affect mine.

Jeffrey
03-29-2017, 05:55 PM
As for the possibility that he "isn't careful with his money," the Duke Brotherhood will recommend an agent and financial advisor, I'm sure. That helps a lot.

It might be prudent to ignore a couple Duke Brotherhood member's financial advice.

Anything with a guarantee, will not get a kid, with less than $1.5 million after tax, to the finish line. And, usually that kid, of limited means, will have many people knocking at their door.

swood1000
03-30-2017, 10:58 AM

But a 100% chance that he won't be denied some sort of pay day in the NBA by a college injury.

TheBrianZoubekExperience
04-17-2017, 10:11 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/2017-extended-mock-draft-40

Any idea is this is legit?

Giles is a wildcard for the draft as he came back in late December and struggled to show much explosiveness off his surgically repaired knee(s). Giles was once seen as a potential #1 pick, but concerns about his knees have his stock falling. He's no longer considered a likely lottery pick after struggling mightily in limited minutes at Duke. His inability to play physical and get any lift after contact is a major concern. And there are rumors that he had an additional knee surgery performed after the season that went unreported, putting his draft stock further in jeopardy.

NBA Comparison: Derrick Favors

ndkjr70
04-17-2017, 10:22 PM

Giles is a wildcard for the draft as he came back in late December and struggled to show much explosiveness off his surgically repaired knee(s). Giles was once seen as a potential #1 pick, but concerns about his knees have his stock falling. He's no longer considered a likely lottery pick after struggling mightily in limited minutes at Duke. His inability to play physical and get any lift after contact is a major concern. And there are rumors that he had an additional knee surgery performed after the season that went unreported, putting his draft stock further in jeopardy.

I've seen rumors that he still hasn't signed an agent. Imagine for a second the following is true: Giles DID have a second knee surgery after the season (his third? in 18 months) and he's being told by GMs that he's likely not to be a first round pick. Is it possible for him to return?

Not so much a "will he", because I'm certain he won't. But I'm curious if there's ever been an instance where a player declared his intent to hire an agent and enter the draft, only to return to school.

I won't get into a debate about the merits of a return, and whether gambling on yourself to become a lottery pick rather than a 2nd round guy is worth it for him. That's been beaten to death too many times, and I'm tired of horse.

MCFinARL
04-17-2017, 10:58 PM

Wow. Once the Duke season is over, I don't suppose Duke needs to officially report a surgery. But "rumors that he had an additional knee surgery"? If there has been any such surgery, I would be very surprised if Giles and K have not been open about this with NBA teams--the program would have too much credibility to lose. Granted HIPAA laws would probably prevent Duke from disclosing if Giles chose not to, it would still seem pretty unlikely.

UrinalCake
04-17-2017, 11:08 PM
I'm not sure how he could hide something like that. I mean his entire career is hinging on his performance at the combine and the medical evaluations that he gets from the NBA teams' doctors. I heard reports that NBA GM's were saying all the way back in November when he had that scope that everything pretty much depends on what the doctors say. If he shows up at the combine and underwhelms, then I don't see any teams drafting him until maybe late second round. If the doctors see that he has had an additional procedure (which isn't exactly something you can hide) then forget it.

Saratoga2
04-18-2017, 08:15 AM
I'm not sure how he could hide something like that. I mean his entire career is hinging on his performance at the combine and the medical evaluations that he gets from the NBA teams' doctors. I heard reports that NBA GM's were saying all the way back in November when he had that scope that everything pretty much depends on what the doctors say. If he shows up at the combine and underwhelms, then I don't see any teams drafting him until maybe late second round. If the doctors see that he has had an additional procedure (which isn't exactly something you can hide) then forget it.

We shouldn't deal with rumors like this. Lets wait and see what the facts are since this kind of thing can have a major impact on Harry.

Natty_B
04-18-2017, 02:58 PM
I've seen rumors that he still hasn't signed an agent.

He's signed with an agent.

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/852937210924072961