PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Duke Player - Prelim poll #5 of 8 (multiple choice)

JasonEvans
10-17-2007, 09:29 AM
Which of these Duke players should move on in our quest for the DBR's all-time favorite? you may vote for as many as you want. If you have not voted in any of these polls before, please consult the Ultimate Fan Poll thread stuck to the top of this board.

-Jason "vote early- vote often" Evans

JasonEvans
10-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Two things I wonder upon looking at the poll for the first time --

1) Will the bad taste many have at Dunleavy's somewhat surprising departure keep him from advancing despite the many good times and amazing moments while he was at Duke?

2) If we did this poll again in 2 months, would Singler make the 2nd round?

--Jason "oh, and will Heyman and Mullins get the love they deserve?" Evans

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
--Jason "oh, and will Heyman and Mullins get the love they deserve?" Evans

No. Nor Buzzy Harrison neither.

Along the line of your Dunleavy concern: has Quin's problematic stint at Mizzou clouded people's perception of him as a college player?

Jumbo
10-17-2007, 09:47 AM
No. Nor Buzzy Harrison neither.

Along the line of your Dunleavy concern: has Quin's problematic stint at Mizzou clouded people's perception of him as a college player?

I think this is a pretty weak group, regardless, in terms of "loveable" players.

micah75
10-17-2007, 09:50 AM
Dunleavy's three straight 3's in the NC game vs Arizona gets my vote. Also, unlike some, I never held it against him for leaving early. He gave Duke and its fans 3 good years and was a high lottery pick. Nowadays, such a player would leave after only 1 or 2 seasons. It was also kind of fun watching him continue to grow while in college, perhaps 3 inches or so.

I'm curious to see how Greg fares in this poll. Say what you will about him, but I just absolutely love this guy's hustle, determination, and grit. He took a bashing like I hadn't seen before on Duke boards, yet there was never any quit in his game.

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I think this is a pretty weak group, regardless, in terms of "loveable" players.

Amaker and Mullins are no-brainers, at least for me. And you know everybody and their dog will vote for JJ. But it's possible that this group will advance just 3 to the round of 32 instead of 4.

Rich
10-17-2007, 09:52 AM
1) Will the bad taste many have at Dunleavy's somewhat surprising departure keep him from advancing despite the many good times and amazing moments while he was at Duke?

For me, yes. I also firmly believe that the "winner" of this poll should be a 4 year student and graduate.

JasonEvans
10-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Amaker and Mullins are no-brainers, at least for me. And you know everybody and their dog will vote for JJ. But it's possible that this group will advance just 3 to the round of 32 instead of 4.

4 players from every poll advance. That is how it works. Yes, there will be a couple deserving players left out who finished 5th in their poll and are stronger candidates than someone who finsihed 4th in one of the other polls, but (as I have said before) if you cannot finish in the top 4 in one of these polls they you really don't have much to complain about. Regardless, I think it will be very hard for any of the 4th place finishers to advance past the round of 32.

--Jason "the Sweet 16 and beyond is where it will really get fun" Evans

dkbaseball
10-17-2007, 10:41 AM
I guess he's not sufficiently remembered or iconic to make much of a dent here, but Gary Melchionni was everybody's favorite player when he played at Duke. Smart, smooth, efficient, clever passer, very low key personality but a great competitor. If you'd seen him play, you'd have loved his game.

TillyGalore
10-17-2007, 10:50 AM
Shocked that JJ doesn't have more votes, and that Kyle Singler, who hasn't even played a game as a couple of votes.

I voted for Greg Paulus as I have been a big fan since day one. This is going to be his breakout year!!!

grc5
10-17-2007, 11:38 AM
Okay, who's the wise guy that voted for Shav Randolph? Shav's mom?

RepoMan
10-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Click the poll tally, and you can see who voted for who.

PS: How can you not vote for the man at the hub of the UNC fight?

PPS: I should have voted for Buckner too

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 01:43 PM

Cut that meat! Cut that meat!*

I'm surprised how poorly Quin is polling, how well Heyman is polling, and how poorly Mullins is polling compared to Heyman.

Who's the other person besides me who voted for Buzzy? I admit I did so only because my mom was friends with him

* - just tying it in with the OT board.

monkey
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Art Herman, Jeff Mullins, Dunleavy and Amaker.

Gave Paulus some thought.

JJ has enough votes already. Besides, while I loved watching him drop bombs, Shelded was always my favorite on those teams...

I really liked watching Dunleavy play. Sometimes he could just be special.

Amaker gets extra points for being a really cool guy the few times I met him around campus (while he was an assistant coach).

monkey
10-17-2007, 01:54 PM
For me, yes. I also firmly believe that the "winner" of this poll should be a 4 year student and graduate.

So players on the 3 year graduation plan don't make the cut? I just can't agree with that. I loved watching, e.g., J Williams.

JasonEvans
10-17-2007, 05:11 PM
I'm impressed folks. This is a knowledgeable group of Duke fans for Heyman to be getting this much support. Props!

The battle between Dun and Mullins for 4th place is epic. Only one vote separating them after Mullins had an early lead.

-Jason "I'll keep this poll open until late tonight, at least" Evans

JasonEvans
10-17-2007, 06:35 PM
Mullins and Dunleavy now tied!! You can cut the tension with a knife! This is Alarie vs. Dockery all over again!

--Jason "only a few hours left till the polls close... who has the better get out the vote effort?" Evans

Indoor66
10-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Mullins and Dunleavy now tied!! You can cut the tension with a knife! This is Alarie vs. Dockery all over again!

--Jason "only a few hours left till the polls close... who has the better get out the vote effort?" Evans

This is NUTS! I like Dunlevey but Jeff was an All American, leader of the '64 National Runnerup (to UCLA's 1st NC team), NBA All Star (SF Warriors), returned and worked at Duke, business man in Cary, Coach at UNC-Charlotte and has his number -44- hanging in Cameron (he averaged 21+ PPG for his career). He also is one of the nicest guys ever to wear Duke Blue. This shows the age of the voters.

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 06:49 PM
This shows the age of the voters.

Hannah Montana is so way totally cooler than Bill Werber.

VaDukie
10-17-2007, 07:54 PM
This is NUTS! I like Dunlevey but Jeff was an All American, leader of the '64 National Runnerup (to UCLA's 1st NC team), NBA All Star (SF Warriors), returned and worked at Duke, business man in Cary, Coach at UNC-Charlotte and has his number -44- hanging in Cameron (he averaged 21+ PPG for his career). He also is one of the nicest guys ever to wear Duke Blue. This shows the age of the voters.

It does, but let's not forget that Dunleavy has the most memorable championship performance in Duke's history. We don't have a 3rd banner without his 2nd half.

Indoor66
10-17-2007, 08:00 PM
Hannah Montana is so way totally cooler than Bill Werber.

Maybe, maybe not. But, Bill Werber is not imaginary!

rthomas
10-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I don't remember too much about Jeff Mullins as a player. But I loved him as an announcer on the Jefferson Pilot - Raycom whatever network. He was an excellent excellent announcer.

SilkyJ
10-17-2007, 08:42 PM
I guess he's not sufficiently remembered or iconic to make much of a dent here, but Gary Melchionni was everybody's favorite player when he played at Duke. Smart, smooth, efficient, clever passer, very low key personality but a great competitor. If you'd seen him play, you'd have loved his game.

My dad tells me the same thing.

potd!

phaedrus
10-17-2007, 09:14 PM
speaking of JJ, he's playing on espn2 right now. the game was earlier today (in china), so i can tell you that he's going to play 30+ minutes. you know, if anyone else misses watching him play.

Bob Green
10-18-2007, 07:49 AM

Due to the fact that I always agree with Jumbo, I am going to jump all over this opportunity to disagree. This group is a great mix of old and new. I voted for four and could have voted for five.

JasonEvans
10-18-2007, 08:28 AM
This poll is closed. I held it open extra long, hoping one of Mullins or Dun would pull away. Never happened. In the end, Dun takes it by just one vote to get 4th place and a spot in the Round of 32.

--Jason

oso diablo
10-18-2007, 09:36 AM
i think it's great that you're doing these polls, but why are they open for so short a time? not everyone, not even big Duke fans, can make it here every day.

ArnieMc
10-18-2007, 10:21 AM
You kept it open for less than 24 hours. I would definitely have voted for Mullins.

Rich
10-18-2007, 10:41 AM
Point well taken. When I wrote that I was thinking of those players who played 4 years and didn't graduate, but came back to Duke to graduate at a later date. People like JWill and Boozer who worked out a plan to stay 3 years and graduate would make my "cut."

I guess my ultimate basis for prejudice are those players who left the team and Coach K in a lurch because they weren't expected to leave, didn't let anyone know they were planning to leave, and then left with little notice. JWill and Boozer were not in this category because they worked out a plan with K ahead of time so that he could recruit for those positions and strategize a plan for their replacement. For me, that would be a basis for excluding them as my "favorite player" and why someone like Mike Dunleavy, while I enjoyed watching him play immensely and he was a major reason we won in 2001, could not win this poll in my eyes.

JasonEvans
10-18-2007, 01:52 PM
In the interest of moving this thing along (there are still a ton of polls to go in the one-on-one matchups and I want it done before the season really heats up), I have to close one and more on to the next. I let each poll get to at least 100 votes before I close it and all of them are open for at least 22-24 hours. I am sorry if some folks missed out.

--Jason "frankly, as I have said before, anyone who misses being in the top 4 in one of these would not have had much of a chance of advancing in the round of 32 anyway" Evans

EarlJam
10-18-2007, 01:58 PM

True, and good point, but that doesn't make it wrong. The poll will determine the favorite Duke player based on the experiences and recollections of this particular community - DBR. It's not the end-all, be-all. We can only go on the experiences we have, mine going back to 1978.

Maybe we make a trophy "DBR's Most Bestus & Favorite Duke Player" and present it to said player, runner-up, and so on.

-EarlJam

gw67
10-19-2007, 10:41 PM
Throaty - I have been out of town and didn't have a chance to vote for Buzzy. Buzzy was class of Mullins and Buckley and was a 3-year starter at guard and was 2nd team All ACC as a senior. He was my favorite player on the great Duke teams of the early 60's although he was a complementary player. You see, Buzzy was the reason that I originally became a Duke fan 45 years ago. I lived in South Charleston for 4 years in the 50's and Buzzy and I were teammates on youth/junior high basketball and baseball teams. Even as a 6th grader, he did all the little things on the court to make others on the team better. He remained a selfless player throughout his career and led South Charleston to a state championship and was a key player on the Final Four teams.

gw67