PDA

View Full Version : For the record - did Maye travel before shooting?

eddiehaskell
03-27-2017, 05:22 PM
Was that a travel before getting the shot off? I know refs tend to swallow their whistles in those moments but it looked as though he had possession and stepped. back without dribbling.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
I didn't see a travel in real time.

Jeffrey
03-27-2017, 05:27 PM
He did not seem to hold the ball long enough to move both feet back. One thing is for sure, he made the shot, which is very impressive for a former walk-on.

richardjackson199
03-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Just my 2 cents - I did not think it was a travel. Jumpshooters often move their feet to get them set, which is never called. Matt Jones will often do something like that with his little sidestep move for an open 3.

Congrats to the cheats on that one. It was a great shot - a life-changing moment for Luke Maye. I'll give them their due.

But they haven't won it yet. Go Ducks!!

BigZ
03-27-2017, 05:35 PM
No but Paige traveled and double dribbled before that losing shot

moonpie23
03-27-2017, 07:10 PM
Just my 2 cents - I did not think it was a travel. Jumpshooters often move their feet to get them set, which is never called. Matt Jones will often do something like that with his little sidestep move for an open 3.

Congrats to the cheats on that one. It was a great shot - a life-changing moment for Luke Maye. I'll give them their due.

But they haven't won it yet. Go Ducks!!

didn't look like a travel to me.......looked like 20 years of cheatin......but, no travel on that play....

Newton_14
03-27-2017, 09:11 PM
Not a travel in my view. Just a clutch shot.

PackMan97
03-27-2017, 09:22 PM
50 years ago, that was a travel. Today? Not even close...even if that was NC State playing, we wouldn't have been called for a travel!

kshepinthehouse
03-27-2017, 09:25 PM
It's a travel. You can't hop back like that. It's the Hansbrough hop 😂

jv001
03-27-2017, 09:26 PM
50 years ago, that was a travel. Today? Not even close...even if that was NC State playing, we wouldn't have been called for a travel!

Duke had it's share of travel calls this season. Some called correctly and many that were not called correctly. GoDuke!

plimnko
03-27-2017, 09:45 PM
i sure like telling a cheater fan at work that it was a walk. it REALLY pisses him off.

killerleft
03-27-2017, 10:40 PM
He took three steps and jumped to shoot. He traveled, but lots of people get away with it. I don't begrudge him his moment now it's over, but I sure wish they'd called it on him.:)

gep
03-27-2017, 10:51 PM
Kinda like the moving screen on Kyle in 2010??? :cool:

AtlDuke72
03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
He took three steps and jumped to shoot. He traveled, but lots of people get away with it. I don't begrudge him his moment now it's over, but I sure wish they'd called it on him.:)

I do not agree. No way that was a travel, just a great play. The silver lining is that Kentucky and Calipari lost.

FerryFor50
03-28-2017, 11:53 AM
Not a travel. He's just somehow morphed into a folk hero.

I've wanted to state that Luke Maye is trash, but he's proven again and again that he's a solid college player and can knock down shots.

I wonder if part of his success is that defenses kind of forget about him and he takes advantage? Wonder how it will be next year when he has to be more of a focal point of the offense...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 01:10 PM
Not a travel. He's just somehow morphed into a folk hero.

I've wanted to state that Luke Maye is trash, but he's proven again and again that he's a solid college player and can knock down shots.

I wonder if part of his success is that defenses kind of forget about him and he takes advantage? Wonder how it will be next year when he has to be more of a focal point of the offense...

Wow, "trash?" That seems a bit harsh on a kid who wanted to play for a team so bad he skipped good scholarships to attend his dream school (however misguided that desire is).

FerryFor50
03-28-2017, 01:14 PM
Wow, "trash?" That seems a bit harsh on a kid who wanted to play for a team so bad he skipped good scholarships to attend his dream school (however misguided that desire is).

"Trash" as in, not a good player. Nothing to do with his personality or overall human worth.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 01:24 PM
"Trash" as in, not a good player. Nothing to do with his personality or overall human worth.

Okay, fair enough.

I have seen a lot of growth out of him this year. Definitely a hardworker who has made the most of his minutes on the court.

FerryFor50
03-28-2017, 01:26 PM
Okay, fair enough.

I have seen a lot of growth out of him this year. Definitely a hardworker who has made the most of his minutes on the court.

Definitely. Hard to root against a kid that took a walk on spot as a 2-3 star prospect and has worked his way into a rotation player that hit a game winner in the elite 8 against Kentucky.

Right now, he's a "lunch pail" guy but could evolve even more into a significant piece of their team.

JasonEvans
03-28-2017, 01:28 PM
I've heard a couple people mention this so I wanted to set the record straight... the legend of the Luke Maye walk-on is not quite the whole story. We hear "walk on" and figure he was not a recruited player and he made himself into something special once he arrived on campus. Ummm, not exactly. Luke is very much like Duke's Lee Melchioni -- the son of a former player who had plenty of offers from power 5 D1 programs but who was willing to pay his own way to play at his father's school because that school did not have room for a scholarship his freshman year (I believe, in both Lee and Luke's case, Duke and UNC told them they would get a scholarship for sure as a soph).

By the way, Luke was never a walk-on at UNC. While he was prepared to come to school without a scholarship, Carolina had a scholarship open up before his freshman year began and gave it to him, so he has been on scholarship his whole time at Carolina.

-Jason "full on props to Luke for hitting a huge shot (no walk, not even close to a walk) and for becoming a key player. He is truly maximizing his talents... Lee did that too" Evans

FerryFor50
03-28-2017, 01:33 PM
I've heard a couple people mention this so I wanted to set the record straight... the legend of the Luke Maye walk-on is not quite the whole story. We hear "walk on" and figure he was not a recruited player and he made himself into something special once he arrived on campus. Ummm, not exactly. Luke is very much like Duke's Lee Melchioni -- the son of a former player who had plenty of offers from power 5 D1 programs but who was willing to pay his own way to play at his father's school because that school did not have room for a scholarship his freshman year (I believe, in both Lee and Luke's case, Duke and UNC told them they would get a scholarship for sure as a soph).

By the way, Luke was never a walk-on at UNC. While he was prepared to come to school without a scholarship, Carolina had a scholarship open up before his freshman year began and gave it to him, so he has been on scholarship his whole time at Carolina.

-Jason "full on props to Luke for hitting a huge shot (no walk, not even close to a walk) and for becoming a key player. He is truly maximizing his talents... Lee did that too" Evans

Fair point, but he was willing to sacrifice to be at his dream school. Either way, it's admirable and rare these days.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 01:36 PM
Fair point, but he was willing to sacrifice to be at his dream school. Either way, it's admirable and rare these days.

Another comparison would be our own Justin Robinson.

FerryFor50
03-28-2017, 01:43 PM

Was he getting the same type of offers as Luke Maye?

JasonEvans
03-28-2017, 01:43 PM
Fair point, but he was willing to sacrifice to be at his dream school. Either way, it's admirable and rare these days. Fully agree and did not mean to imply otherwise. I just wanted folks to know the whole story. The comparison to Lee Melchioni is dead on target, I think... though Lee was a little higher rated in his class than Maye was (Lee was in the 80s, IIRC while Maye was generally ranked between 130 and 150).

I don't really think Justin is a good comp here. My understanding is that he really didn't have any significant D1 offers. He certainly wasn't regarded as nearly the high school prospect that Luke or Lee were. He was a very good high school player who probably could have tried to be a rotation player for a small D1 program or a strong player at the D3 level, but he didn't turn down D1 scholarship offers to attend Duke. 247 rated him as the 366th best player in the class of 2015.

-Jason "I keep on waiting for Justin to have that Robinson growth spurt and turn into a 7-footer with wing skills" Evans

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 01:48 PM
Was he getting the same type of offers as Luke Maye?

Touché, I withdraw my snark.

Jeffrey
03-28-2017, 01:50 PM
-Jason "I keep on waiting for Justin to have that Robinson growth spurt and turn into a 7-footer with wing skills" Evans

Stop waiting, life is short.

kshepinthehouse
03-28-2017, 07:39 PM
I don't think this is a debate. It's a travel by rule. You can say It's not but please explain. I'm not even bitter about it but by definition, it's a travel. Kennard does it sometimes too where he kind of hops to his left. It may not get called frequently but to answer this question, yes, he walked.

killerleft
03-28-2017, 08:36 PM
He did the step-back dribble without the dribble. Make excuses for the Tar Heel if you want, guys.

Spanarkel
03-29-2017, 08:18 AM
Speaking of unc and traveling calls, is it true that Kendall Marshall's first walk of the '11-'12 season was called in the ACCT?

Getting back to the unc-UK game, I liked Jim Nantz's comment in the second half: "Hicks with steps," then radio(/TV)silence as the walk was not called.