PDA

View Full Version : Final Four Discussion Thread (Zags, Ducks, Heels, USC-East)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

pfrduke
03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Can't this season be over already?

PackMan97
03-27-2017, 01:22 PM
It pains me that I may have to end up pulling for Carolina.

True story, growing up the ONLY college sporting event that made it's way into my life was the Clemson v Carolina football game. All the teachers I hated (like the ones I had for English and History) all went to Carolina. The ones that were awesome (like Science and Math) went to Clemson (or were Clemson fans). So it was easy to hate on Carolina and cheer for Clemson. When I moved to NC, the big question was, who do you like? Carolina or StatE? I replied, I don't know who State is, but I hate the Gamecoks...so go State! People always looked at me funny because down in Charleston is the Carolina Gamecoks and the North Carolina Tarheels. Needless to say, my hate for all things Carolina runs deep.

That said, if it comes down to Carolina vs the Cheats, I have no doubt i'll be pulling hard for Carolina.

Although, I'll be wearing my Oregon sweatshirt on Satiurday hoping it doesn't come to that!

Indoor66
03-27-2017, 01:27 PM

True story, growing up the ONLY college sporting event that made it's way into my life was the Clemson v Carolina football game. All the teachers I hated (like the ones I had for English and History) all went to Carolina. The ones that were awesome (like Science and Math) went to Clemson (or were Clemson fans). So it was easy to hate on Carolina and cheer for Clemson. When I moved to NC, the big question was, who do you like? Carolina or StatE? I replied, I don't know who State is, but I hate the Gamecoks...so go State! People always looked at me funny because down in Charleston is the Carolina Gamecoks and the North Carolina Tarheels. Needless to say, my hate for all things Carolina runs deep.

That said, if it comes down to Carolina vs the Cheats, I have no doubt i'll be pulling hard for Carolina.

Although, I'll be wearing my Oregon sweatshirt on Satiurday hoping it doesn't come to that!
Wash your brain out with soap.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2017, 01:28 PM
For now I'm one of the biggest Oregon fans in the country. I'd fly out and help train/coach them if I had something to offer. :p

I wouldn't mind SC or Gonzaga winning either. Living in the Carolinas I guess SC winning would be nice for the fans around here. How often do they get to say their basketball team is better than UNC/Duke/State, etc?

Troublemaker
03-27-2017, 01:45 PM
Dillon Brooks and Oregon in general needs to gang-rebound on the defensive glass. Brooks' defensive rebounding percentage of 9.7% pales in comparison to Tatum's 19.7%. To win that crucial matchup at the 4, the Ducks need to keep the boards reasonably close, and Brooks needs to give a great effort. The Ducks can't abandon Jordan Bell to take care of the glass on his own.

elvis14
03-27-2017, 02:35 PM
The only thing that matters at this point is that UNCheat loses. It's an embarrassment to the NCAA that they are in the Final Four (twice the embarrassment because it's 2 years in a row) having bought (literally) time before getting punishments handed down from the NCAA.

mr. synellinden
03-27-2017, 02:49 PM
South Carolina is just killing teams in the second half.

Here are the second half scores in their 4 games:

vs. Marquette - 54-33
vs. Duke - 65-51
vs. Baylor - 33-28
vs. FLA - 44-30

Maybe it's conditioning. Maybe it's the suffocating defense is all the more effective as teams tire. Baylor, Duke and Florida are all in the top 15 in KenPom. This team is no joke and you can throw the season-long rankings out the window. I just saw that SC had a .3% chance of making the Final Four according to ESPN's BPI. That's silly. Show me the four teams' KenPom ratings for the tournament only. Things change in the tournament - we all know that. Look what Duke did in 2015 and what Syracuse did last year. SC is not beating fluky lower seeded teams. On the other hand, Kansas was rolling through the tournament until they had a bad game against Oregon. That's the great thing about this tournament. And why it's really survive and advance because anything can happen in the next round.

I actually think the winner of the Gonzaga-SC game will win the title on Monday. I'm picking SC.

Wander
03-27-2017, 03:02 PM
I see no reason to change my pick from my bracket. Gonzaga is still underrated by most fans, with DBR posters embarrassing themselves trying to claim that they "definitely" would have lost to Arizona or whatever out of some weird Power 5 conference pride. They are not some super NBA juggernaut that's guaranteed to beat even South Carolina, but like UNC, they have the right blend of talent and experience, but I'll give them the edge over UNC with better coaching.

CDu
03-27-2017, 03:32 PM
I see no reason to change my pick from my bracket. Gonzaga is still underrated by most fans, with DBR posters embarrassing themselves trying to claim that they "definitely" would have lost to Arizona or whatever out of some weird Power 5 conference pride. They are not some super NBA juggernaut that's guaranteed to beat even South Carolina, but like UNC, they have the right blend of talent and experience, but I'll give them the edge over UNC with better coaching.

Who is saying that Arizona "definitely" would have beaten Gonzaga? Certainly not me, and I'm definitely in the camp that thinks Gonzaga is overrated. I think you may be creating a bit of a straw man here.

FerryFor50
03-27-2017, 03:38 PM
Figures that UNC wouldn't have to face Kansas, but instead gets to face Oregon, who lost one of their best bigs to a torn ACL before the tournament.

Oregon stands a decent chance in the game, but it's looking more like UNC will get an inevitable championship - especially with Luke friggin Maye playing like an All-American.

Dukelogger
03-27-2017, 03:39 PM
The only thing that matters at this point is that UNCheat loses. It's an embarrassment to the NCAA that they are in the Final Four (twice the embarrassment because it's 2 years in a row) having bought (literally) time before getting punishments handed down from the NCAA.

Any loss will do. For me personally, any one of my UNC family members that claims some bragging rights about making the finals will be quickly reminded of the Perivs Ellison taunting, and on and on especially from '86-90. Getting there doesnt matter if you dont bring home a banner. They established that precedent (at least within my extended family.) Just need them to lose by at least one point sometime over the next two games.

Lauderdevil
03-27-2017, 03:44 PM
Duke's loss aside, this tournament is shaping up perfectly.

What's the second-best outcome short of a Duke national championship?

A last-second, heart-destroying, baby-blue tear-inducing buzzer-beater that in an instant turns Carolina ecstasy into devastation.

We now have the chance of that outcome two years in a row. I can't wait!

moonpie23
03-27-2017, 03:45 PM
1983 pack.......

cinderella lives...

go cocks....

jv001
03-27-2017, 03:57 PM
Picked the cheats. Hoping to jinx those lying cheating cheats. GoDuke!

Dukehky
03-27-2017, 04:16 PM
Dillon Brooks and Oregon in general needs to gang-rebound on the defensive glass. Brooks' defensive rebounding percentage of 9.7% pales in comparison to Tatum's 19.7%. To win that crucial matchup at the 4, the Ducks need to keep the boards reasonably close, and Brooks needs to give a great effort. The Ducks can't abandon Jordan Bell to take care of the glass on his own.

In what world do you live in where another team's best player plays their best against Carolina? I have literally never seen it happen. XRM, maybe.

arnie
03-27-2017, 07:53 PM
In what world do you live in where another team's best player plays their best against Carolina? I have literally never seen it happen. XRM, maybe.

The "Show".

Wahoo2000
03-27-2017, 08:12 PM

Did anybody else find this as hard to follow as I did?

PackMan, PLEASE - never, EVER refer to SC as "Carolina" again. Even with the explanation, I still can't noodle it (though my educational background doesn't stack up to the Duke grads here, so maybe they're keeping it clearer that I'm able to).

I'll be cheering for the Zags - best team by advanced metrics. Hope they can get that first title to go with their first final four. Actually, a part of me would love to see the network execs heads explode if we get an all pacific-northwest final. Sign me up for a Ducks/Zags title game.

ncexnyc
03-27-2017, 08:14 PM

vs. Marquette - 54-33
vs. Duke - 65-51
vs. Baylor - 33-28
vs. FLA - 44-30

Maybe it's conditioning. Maybe it's the suffocating defense is all the more effective as teams tire. Baylor, Duke and Florida are all in the top 15 in KenPom. This team is no joke and you can throw the season-long rankings out the window. I just saw that SC had a .3% chance of making the Final Four according to ESPN's BPI. That's silly. Show me the four teams' KenPom ratings for the tournament only. Things change in the tournament - we all know that. Look what Duke did in 2015 and what Syracuse did last year. SC is not beating fluky lower seeded teams. On the other hand, Kansas was rolling through the tournament until they had a bad game against Oregon. That's the great thing about this tournament. And why it's really survive and advance because anything can happen in the next round.

I actually think the winner of the Gonzaga-SC game will win the title on Monday. I'm picking SC.

It's stats like this that don't make me feel so bad about our loss. Yes, we gave up a ton of points in the second half, but we also dropped quite a few on them as well.

I mentioned karma last night in regards to Luke Maye. It would really be awesome if the hole fans who were cheering so hard for the Gamecocks to beat us got to experience that very same feeling of losing to them. Payback would definitely be a b..........

dukelifer
03-27-2017, 08:20 PM
I am pulling for the Zags but I fear that they will go the way of Butler.

Wander
03-27-2017, 08:28 PM

vs. Marquette - 54-33
vs. Duke - 65-51
vs. Baylor - 33-28
vs. FLA - 44-30

Maybe it's conditioning. Maybe it's the suffocating defense is all the more effective as teams tire.

I think you're trying to read something that isn't there. Marquette is the only game in which they made their big run in the later part of the 2nd half, which is where you'd guess conditioning would really kick in.

I think the simpler explanation is that they're just clicking on offense right now to compliment what was always a good defense, in addition to getting a little lucky in playing near home and avoiding the #1 seed in their bracket.

weezie
03-27-2017, 08:37 PM
Who is saying that Arizona "definitely" would have beaten Gonzaga?

I've always viewed the zag with suspicion but I don't think I said they would have beaten AZ in the NCAAs. The big center Przemek is one hell of a load. If he can just stay on the floor, they've got a real chance now.

No matter, though, there won't be another little guy miracle shot this year.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-28-2017, 06:01 AM

vs. Marquette - 54-33
vs. Duke - 65-51
vs. Baylor - 33-28
vs. FLA - 44-30

I commented on the Cocks' second half prowess before the Florida game. At this point in the season, with this much on the line, I don't think that sort of point differential in the second half can be written off as conditioning or as a deep bench. It is coaching and half-time adjustments.

Whatever Frank Martin is telling his kids to do and focus on at halftime is spot-friggin-on. Very impressive to me to be able to identify the proper tweaks and for the kids to be able to implement those changes.

Bomani Jones (I know) said Frank Martin is one of the most underrated coaches in the game. How can you tell? He took SOUTH CAROLINA and KANSAS STATE on deep tournament runs. Hard to argue against.

dukelifer
03-28-2017, 06:28 AM
I commented on the Cocks' second half prowess before the Florida game. At this point in the season, with this much on the line, I don't think that sort of point differential in the second half can be written off as conditioning or as a deep bench. It is coaching and half-time adjustments.

Whatever Frank Martin is telling his kids to do and focus on at halftime is spot-friggin-on. Very impressive to me to be able to identify the proper tweaks and for the kids to be able to implement those changes.

Bomani Jones (I know) said Frank Martin is one of the most underrated coaches in the game. How can you tell? He took SOUTH CAROLINA and KANSAS STATE on deep tournament runs. Hard to argue against.
Or he has a couple of outstanding players. I believe Martin is a good coach but much of this is on the players. They have to execute - particularly on the offensive end. Thornwell is having on of those tourneys where he is carrying his team and giving them confidence. No player- other than Luke Maye- has benefited more from this tourney.

Indoor66
03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Or he has a couple of outstanding players. I believe Martin is a good coach but much of this is on the players. They have to execute - particularly on the offensive end. Thornwell is having on of those tourneys where he is carrying his team and giving them confidence. No player- other than Luke Maye- has benefited more from this tourney.

Isn't that always the case and succeeding at that is part of the definition of a good coach, isn't it?

dukelifer
03-28-2017, 09:47 AM
Isn't that always the case and succeeding at that is part of the definition of a good coach, isn't it?

Yes but the point being made was the adjustments. Much of coaching is done way before the game- but games are won by players. A lot of folks here and even his own fan base criticize Roy for his coaching in a game- but while you can critique his TO strategy - his kids win way more than they do not and he has to get credit for that.

brevity
03-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Actor Ken Jeong (Duke 1990, M.D. from UNC 1995) was on Mike & Mike this morning.

MIKE GREENBERG: So, the Final Four. Are you rooting for North Carolina or against them?
KEN JEONG: Against.
MIKE GREENBERG: Even though you went to medical school there?
KEN JEONG: Well, if their medical school had a team, I'd root for them.

rsvman
03-28-2017, 10:10 AM
Actor Ken Jeong (Duke 1990, M.D. from UNC 1995) was on Mike & Mike this morning.

MIKE GREENBERG: So, the Final Four. Are you rooting for North Carolina or against them?
KEN JEONG: Against.
MIKE GREENBERG: Even though you went to medical school there?
KEN JEONG: Well, if their medical school had a team, I'd root for them.

Love this.

brevity
03-31-2017, 06:13 PM
Thread bump to slightly displace the many "We have no power as fans, but let's talk about how we can change things" threads started in the early offseason.

Listening to a lot of sports radio this week, because men's college basketball is almost over and everything else sucks. The big media-generated story of choice this week is the absence of OADs from the rosters of all the Final Four teams. Many comments paint this as some sort of movement toward restoring continuity to college basketball, largely ignoring the fact that Kentucky almost beat UNC, and Kansas was also in the Elite 8.

Bob Huggins was asked about Kentucky and OADs today on Sirius XM's College Sports channel, and he joked (in a disturbingly deadpan way) that one advantage is that "players only have to put up with Cal for one season."

He also disagreed with the commonly spoken perception that Gonzaga is more prepared for South Carolina because they played West Virginia in the Sweet 16. He pointed out some specific differences, honestly pointing out the things Frank Martin did better, and it was good to hear. Huggins has a pretty strong voice for radio (and a face to match). He'd be an asset to an announcing team once he gets tired of changing time zones for every conference game.

NM Duke Fan
03-31-2017, 06:47 PM
I've always viewed the zag with suspicion but I don't think I said they would have beaten AZ in the NCAAs. The big center Przemek is one hell of a load. If he can just stay on the floor, they've got a real chance now.

No matter, though, there won't be another little guy miracle shot this year.

Yes, there are few players in the NBA 7'1" and 300 lbs. Not only is Karnowski huge, he can really pass like few bigs these days, and has a great shooting percentage when the team gets him the ball in his preferred spots. It will be interesting to see how SC copes with his presence with their personnel limitations inside. And when he rests Collins brings his own challenges off the bench. If Gonzaga can leverage its inside strengths I feel they will win both games.

NM Duke Fan
03-31-2017, 07:14 PM
This is an article with a couple of imbedded brief clips:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/przemek-karnowski-gonzaga-center-big-man-size-height-weight-video-graceful

CDu
03-31-2017, 07:19 PM
Yes, there are few players in the NBA 7'1" and 300 lbs. Not only is Karnowski huge, he can really pass like few bigs these days, and has a great shooting percentage when the team gets him the ball in his preferred spots. It will be interesting to see how SC copes with his presence with their personnel limitations inside. And when he rests Collins brings his own challenges off the bench. If Gonzaga can leverage its inside strengths I feel they will win both games.

Karnowski is probably the 4th or fifth best player on the Zags. And arguably their second-best center. He is indeed very big, but not very mobile nor able to get off the floor after back surgery. He is a good player, but I don't think he is the difference-maker for that team.

NM Duke Fan
03-31-2017, 07:35 PM
Karnowski is probably the 4th or fifth best player on the Zags. And arguably their second-best center. He is indeed very big, but not very mobile nor able to get off the floor after back surgery. He is a good player, but I don't think he is the difference-maker for that team.

HMMMM? I live out West, how much Gonzaga have you seen this year? I believe he is second on the team in scoring per game, at something like 12.6 and shoots at 60 percentage or so. We will agree to disagree ... more mobile than you think and a superb passer, through whom the offense runs at times.

CDu
03-31-2017, 07:46 PM
HMMMM? I live out West, how much Gonzaga have you seen this year? I believe he is second on the team in scoring per game, at something like 12.6 and shoots at 60 percentage or so. We will agree to disagree ... more mobile than you think and a superb passer, through whom the offense runs at times.

I have seen them enough. I think that Collins is better. I think Williams-Goss and Williams are better. I think it is a question of Karnowski and Matthews for fourth best.

Karnowski definitely beat up on the WCC. But in the tourney he is averaging just 9 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 fouls per game.

That is not to say that Karnowski is a bad player. Just that those other guys are better.

Atlanta Duke
03-31-2017, 10:06 PM
This NYT columnist is not catching that Final Four feel good spirit

North Carolina’s Triumph Fails to Cover Cheating’s Stain

In October 2014, reporters asked Williams about the N.C.A.A. investigation. He sighed.

“It’s been a pain in the rear end,” he said. “I feel strongly, strongly, that we did things the right way.”

He was strongly incorrect. Then again, he makes $2 million a year and got more than $500,000 for making it to the Final Four. So what do I know?

https://nyti.ms/2nJzC0B

rsvman
03-31-2017, 10:24 PM
Dadgum it! That guldurned cheatin' story just won't go away!

Karl Beem
03-31-2017, 10:51 PM
Wow! UConn gals down 29-20 halftime.

Karl Beem
04-01-2017, 12:19 AM
Down goes UConn!!

Utley
04-01-2017, 12:31 AM
Wow! UConn gals down 29-20 halftime.

Thanks for posting this. Got me to tune in to watch an incredible 2nd half and OT. Pretty incredible.

gep
04-01-2017, 12:41 AM
So... is this now the female counterpart to Christian? :cool:

uh_no
04-01-2017, 01:05 AM
Thanks for posting this. Got me to tune in to watch an incredible 2nd half and OT. Pretty incredible.

unless you're from connecticut....

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 06:23 AM
Good morning.

Pretty excited about watching the Final Four today, despite Duke not being there. It's been a good tournament, and I also enjoy rooting against UNC.

Gonna buy some beer and wine later and then I'll be chatting up a storm during the games in this thread or maybe DBR chat if -jk wants to open it up. If I'm not here, it'll be because I started a bit too early and passed out :-)

Reilly
04-01-2017, 10:55 AM
ABC.

weezie
04-01-2017, 10:57 AM
Straight to hell, holes.

brevity
04-01-2017, 11:17 AM
ABC.

Easy as 1, 2, J.R. can't count. Reminds me of that old story...

In a teleconference before the rematch in Chapel Hill, Dean Smith was still bothered by the "J.R. CAN'T REID" sign he saw in Durham. He observed that the combined SAT scores of J.R. Reid and Scott Williams were higher than those of Danny Ferry and Christian Laettner.

"This is the first and last time I will share information from my players' transcripts," said Smith. Then he mumbled, "Because I'm hiding all of our rampant cheating for my professional and personal preservation. God-Dean it, I need a cigarette."

dukebluesincebirth
04-01-2017, 11:32 AM
Let's hope Berry has ankle problems, and the Ducks waddle all over him!! 🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

chriso
04-01-2017, 11:47 AM
Good morning.

Pretty excited about watching the Final Four today, despite Duke not being there. It's been a good tournament, and I also enjoy rooting against UNC.

Gonna buy some beer and wine later and then I'll be chatting up a storm during the games in this thread or maybe DBR chat if -jk wants to open it up. If I'm not here, it'll be because I started a bit too early and passed out :-)

Ducks are gonna do it. I feel it in my fingers. I feel it in my toes. Quack. :)

Neals384
04-01-2017, 12:00 PM
Everyone repeat after me...GO DUCKS!

elvis14
04-01-2017, 12:11 PM
Down goes UConn!!

Interesting...this might make women's basketball relevant again. Not being anti-women's hoops but when it's perceived as a given that UConn is going to win....

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 12:33 PM
With the injury bug that hit Duke this year, it certainly focused additional attention on the setbacks that these kids can have. Giles has suffered significantly and is not yet the player that he was. But some injuries are even worse, and can be lifterally life and limb threatening. Some here are likely not aware of what Karnowski went through and how dicey it was, with a long road back. Those with just casual knowledge of Gonzaga who underestimate his importance to his team (probably the second most important player) forget that he is also the senior captain, an emotional leader, a 5th year senior with vast experience. And the team has rallied around his brave comeback, and very much wants to also win the title for him. His unselfish play and penchant for great assists rubs off on the whole team. He is the starting center for very good reasons. The second leading scorer in only about an average of 23 minutes of playing time, as coach Few has metered his minutes carefully. And there have been games where he has been pretty much the key player, presenting very difficult matchup problems. I hope he gets his championship trophy!

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/31/gonzagas-przemek-karnowski-overcame-staph-infection-in-a-bulging-disk-that-threatened-his-life/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

rsvman
04-01-2017, 01:01 PM
With the injury bug that hit Duke this year, it certainly focused additional attention on the setbacks that these kids can have. Giles has suffered significantly and is not yet the player that he was. But some injuries are even worse, and can be lifterally life and limb threatening. Some here are likely not aware of what Karnowski went through and how dicey it was, with a long road back. Those with just casual knowledge of Gonzaga who underestimate his importance to his team (probably the second most important player) forget that he is also the senior captain, an emotional leader, a 5th year senior with vast experience. And the team has rallied around his brave comeback, and very much wants to also win the title for him. His unselfish play and penchant for great assists rubs off on the whole team. He is the starting center for very good reasons. The second leading scorer in only about an average of 23 minutes of playing time, as coach Few has metered his minutes carefully. And there have been games where he has been pretty much the key player, presenting very difficult matchup problems. I hope he gets his championship trophy!

http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2017/03/31/gonzagas-przemek-karnowski-overcame-staph-infection-in-a-bulging-disk-that-threatened-his-life/?cid=eref:nbcnews:text

If he gets the championship, it means UNCheat did not; that's good enough for me.

CDu
04-01-2017, 01:16 PM
Here's hoping that playing the late game in Arizona against a West coast school will do in the Heels!

slower
04-01-2017, 06:30 PM
If they let SC continue to mug people for 40 minutes (and don't call it both ways), they have a chance.

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 06:30 PM
10 minutes gone in SC-Zaga. Fast-paced, higher-scoring game than one might expect with these top-3 defenses. Zaga showing why they're probably the best post team in the country, and they can live with only 3 turnovers so far.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 06:31 PM
SC needs to stay close first half, and will be able to make noise in the second half

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 06:36 PM
Sindarious gets the shoutout for graduating in 3.5 years as a psych major with a 3.8 GPA. Props.

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 06:38 PM
Pulling for the Zags to force the cheats to face the toughest team possible if they skate past the Ducks. I will feel much better tomorrow morning if the Ducks are still in this tournament when the sun comes up tomorrow.

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 06:39 PM
goaltending??

slower
04-01-2017, 06:40 PM
Seriously, we know what's going to happen, don't we? SC will be allowed to absolutely maul Gonzaga.

When they play UNC, the refs will magically remember how their whistles work. It's almost inevitable.

slower
04-01-2017, 06:42 PM
So far, the officiating is a disgrace.

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 06:43 PM
I don't know why Grant keeps repeating that SC needs a slow pace. They like fastbreaking.

slower
04-01-2017, 06:45 PM
I don't know why Grant keeps repeating that SC needs a slow pace. They like fastbreaking.

Because he doesn't know what he's talking about?

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Pulling for the Zags to force the cheats to face the toughest team possible if they skate past the Ducks. I will feel much better tomorrow morning if the Ducks are still in this tournament when the sun comes up tomorrow.

A lot of people think SC is just as good or better, not trusting the computers... but even if that were true...

Seriously, we know what's going to happen, don't we? SC will be allowed to absolutely maul Gonzaga.

When they play UNC, the refs will magically remember how their whistles work. It's almost inevitable.

... I agree with slower here. That's how I picture it would happen, too.

Definitely rooting for the Zags here.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 06:49 PM
Hope Karnowski will be able to play second half with that eye. I thought that was a goal tend when he was blocked. Thornwell is not himself probably still not completely well, impacting his drives, etc. Gonzaga looks like the better team in general. Great ball movement and decisions overall, and bench has numerous points already. They have a good chance to make their first final! 9 point lead is quite a bit against this defense, which does not look nearly as good as previous games. A lot of it is Gonzaga has several good ball handlers and really know how to find the shooter with the best position.

gocanes0506
04-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Well SC has mauled their opponents since Duke. The one thing Gonzaga is doing the Duke and Baylor didn't is keep playing. Duke and Baylor spent all their energy complaining to the refs. I haven't seen a quarter of it from Gonzaga.

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 06:52 PM
The big thing so far in this game is that Zaga offense > SC defense.

Obviously that can't happen for SC to win.

slower
04-01-2017, 06:56 PM
Well SC has mauled their opponents since Duke.

I'm guessing they've mauled them all season.

Few sounds a bit disgusted that Karnowski got mugged.

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 06:58 PM
The big thing so far in this game is that Zaga offense > SC defense.

Obviously that can't happen for SC to win.
Yeah they are torching that stellar SC defense. This Gonzaga team is darn good. Far better than I realized an they have more quality bigs than I realized as well. They can absolutely beat unc should it come to that. I hope the big kid's eye is ok.

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 06:59 PM
Well SC has mauled their opponents since Duke. The one thing Gonzaga is doing the Duke and Baylor didn't is keep playing. Duke and Baylor spent all their energy complaining to the refs. I haven't seen a quarter of it from Gonzaga.

Zaga's attitude may be better with regard to all that, but the big thing is they have a point guard that's handling SC's pressure in Williams-Goss, who is top 5 in kenpom player of the year (http://kenpom.com/kpoy.php), AND they have such talented size inside, including great backups to Karnowski obviously. I love how Collins was able to rim-protect with verticality a couple of times during their run.

Give them credit for the better attitude maybe but definitely also give them credit for just being a better team than Duke and Baylor. Humans may have underrated the Zags.

Fish80
04-01-2017, 07:00 PM
Go Zags! Hope CarNowSki can play second half. Love that big dude. V

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 07:03 PM
Of course, SC is a second-half team, so this game is far from over.

Fish80
04-01-2017, 07:05 PM
Oh my, sindarius was sick. CRY me a river! I get sick every time I see the friggin Tar Heels.

rsvman
04-01-2017, 07:13 PM
The refs allowed a Collins basket after he stepped out of bounds; otherwise, South Carolina would be down 7, and have Gonzaga right where they want them.

Atlanta Duke
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
Greg Gumbel and Seth Davis at halftime show sitting at the equivalent of the kids' table at Thanksgiving while Ernie, Kenny, Charles and Clark get the big desk

Go Zags!

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 07:14 PM
The refs allowed a Collins basket after he stepped out of bounds; otherwise, South Carolina would be down 7, and have Gonzaga right where they want them.

On the other hand, another fraction of a second and we are looking at a 12 point deficit, SC is lucky.

Avvocato
04-01-2017, 07:18 PM
Of course, SC is a second-half team, so this game is far from over.

Agreed. Let's see what happens. CBS talking about Thornwell's health. Not sure if it's legit or an excuse. Either way, I need the winner of this game to be as healthy as possible for Monday night, in case needed to prevent Armageddon.

brevity
04-01-2017, 07:20 PM
Przemek Karnowski cannot afford an injured I. His name has enough consonants as it is.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:21 PM
SC just mugging them. Refs pulling a Sgt. Schultz. Insane, the amount of contact SC is allowed.

Fish80
04-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Amile got poked on the eye twice. That's just a Fact.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:26 PM
Insanity - just insanity. Somebody's gonna get seriously injured.

brevity
04-01-2017, 07:27 PM
Amile got poked on the eye twice. That's just a Fact.

"It's all fun and games until Bonzie Colson loses his contact lens." - ACC Tournament officials

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 07:28 PM

Williams-Goss's ankle better be okay or I'm going into panic mode. Don't lose while injuring the opponent's best player, SC. Win, and injure Heels on Monday if Oregon can't get the job done.

rsvman
04-01-2017, 07:29 PM
SC has no offense. They've had no offense all season. For four games, they masqueraded as a team with an offense, but they have no offense.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:30 PM
SC has no offense. They've had no offense all season. For four games, they masqueraded as a team with an offense, but they have no offense.
The best offense is being allowed to commit felonies on defense.

Fish80
04-01-2017, 07:32 PM

65 points in second half? That counts as an offense.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 07:32 PM
I have to wonder if their football team is brought in periodically to give them some defensive tips!

slower
04-01-2017, 07:34 PM
I have to wonder if their football team is brought in periodically to give them some defensive tips!

Looks more like the wrestling team gave them some tips.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:36 PM
Refs getting ready to make a run at Gonzaga in the next few minutes.

Wander
04-01-2017, 07:37 PM

It might have something to do with the fact that the #1 kenpom defense is playing in this game, even if 90% of fans would incorrectly guess that fact refers to South Carolina.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 07:37 PM
Watch the next game be nothing but freedom of movement foul calls all night.

CoachJ10
04-01-2017, 07:38 PM
Another game where SC's opponent has been called for more fouls than they have thru a good portion of the game.

SMH.

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2017, 07:40 PM
Man, Gonzaga sure is loaded and balanced. I don't know how Duke would've been able to beat this team.

Dr. Rosenrosen
SC also appears to have watched tape of Dean Smith teaching his players to get under jump shooters on their close outs.

JStuart
Przemek Karnowski cannot afford an injured I. His name has enough consonants as it is.

Post of the night! Outstanding!

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 07:41 PM
Just an observation... SC is bringing the same defensive effort they have brought all tournament but the Zags are negating it with multiple quick players that are really good/great ball handlers. It's leading to open 3's and nice post ups. Oh to see a Duke team built like the Zags are built this year.... not joking...

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 07:41 PM
It might have something to do with the fact that the #1 kenpom defense is playing in this game, even if 90% of fans would incorrectly guess that fact refers to South Carolina.

Exactly! Zags D has been underestimated by many despite the stats, tonight shows how organized and disciiplined it really is this year! Hope the 14 point lead can get further pushed out.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:42 PM
SC also appears to have watched tape of Dean Smith teaching his players to get under jump shooters on their close outs.

Another of Dean's great "innovations." Joel James says hello.

brevity
Refs getting ready to make a run at Gonzaga in the next few minutes.

Refs need to step it up if they want to ensure the all-Carolina final* that 48 U.S. states do not want.

* The Carowinds series! Imagine the ratings!

vick

Nah, Gonzaga just lucking out again. Really uncanny.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:44 PM
Refs need to step it up if they want to ensure the all-Carolina final* that 48 U.S. states do not want.

* The Carowinds series! Imagine the ratings!

It's coming. Count on it.

ncexnyc
04-01-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm really starting to worry now. The Zags are doing exactly what several other teams have done this tournament and that's look great. Just when you think a team is THE team to beat, the very next game they turn around and lay an egg. Hopefully the ducks take care of business in the next game so my concerns won't matter come Monday night.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 07:46 PM
Basketball is a game of runs, SC finally made one of 8, now Zags have to get back in their flow.

slower
04-01-2017, 07:47 PM
Charge call? Refs cutting it down to 4.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 07:48 PM
What a flop!

dukelifer

Zags started to relax and SC making shots

slower
If the Zags don't fold up and die, I'll be very impressed. And surprised.

Refs are now in terminator mode.

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2017, 07:49 PM

lol that was a terribly acted flop.

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 07:49 PM
I'm really starting to worry now. The Zags are doing exactly what several other teams have done this tournament and that's look great. Just when you think a team is THE team to beat, the very next game they turn around and lay an egg. Hopefully the ducks take care of business in the next game so my concerns won't matter come Monday night.

Now I am nervous! Please don't choke this Zags! Come on!!

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 07:50 PM
Now I am nervous! Please don't choke this Zags! Come on!!

Need to regroup here

slower
04-01-2017, 07:51 PM
So maybe all the money Crying Jordan saved by not being a philanthropist is now being used to buy off the refs?

slower
04-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Can't watch this any more. Stick a fork in the Zags.

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2017, 07:54 PM
Gonzaga just can't buy a basket. And SC just drives straight at people and gets free throws.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 07:59 PM
Gonzaga just can't buy a basket. And SC just drives straight at people and gets free throws.

Collins is having a ball game. He was the third center behind Jeter and Zimmerman on his high school team

Wander
Gonzaga has by far the best backup center in the country, right?

ipatent
Great game, both teams playing hard.

gofurman
04-01-2017, 08:00 PM
So maybe all the money Crying Jordan saved by not being a philanthropist is now being used to buy off the refs?

If Oregon doesn't win.. Who of USC or Zags do you think is better to play and hopefully beat Unc ?

WHOneedsSOX
Collins is having a ball game

He's a beast. Is he going pro next season? Or more of a long term project? Really like his game.

NM Duke Fan
Two massively important shots by Karnowski. OK doubters, yes he CAN dunk still despite his operation!

brevity
04-01-2017, 08:01 PM
"I like Collins. I like a Tom Collins on occasion." - Bill Raftery, apparently thirsty

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Just an observation... SC is bringing the same defensive effort they have brought all tournament but the Zags are negating it with multiple quick players that are really good/great ball handlers. It's leading to open 3's and nice post ups. Oh to see a Duke team built like the Zags are built this year... not joking...

Duval - Jackson - Allen - Carter - Bamba?

Anyway, nice composure by the Zags to weather the run and punch back here.

Ultrarunner
04-01-2017, 08:02 PM
Collins is having a ball game. He was the third center behind Jeter and Zimmerman on his high school team

Collins can play on our team any day. Massive motor.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:03 PM
If Oregon doesn't win.. Who of USC or Zags do you think is better to play and hopefully beat Unc ?

Zags match up better but UNC does not like physical games

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 08:04 PM
SC might be outta gas after that 16-0 run. Would love to be wrong.

Wander
Collins can play on our team any day.

Could basically be the 4th Plumlee.

NM Duke Fan
For those who have not been able to watch the Zags, he has brought it all year. I love it when he and Karnowski are out there together as the twin towers!

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:05 PM
Horrible call there

NM Duke Fan
What a ridiculous offesnive foul call. BS!!

WHOneedsSOX
Always makes me laugh when big 'tough' guys like Thornwell flop like little girls.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 08:07 PM
Refs so inconsistent. How was that a foul on Karnowski?

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Some more BS refing.

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2017, 08:08 PM
Refs so inconsistent. How was that a foul on Karnowski?

Because Collins threw his head back.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 08:11 PM
Lots of bad calls. Lengthy review on obvious call. Weird refs.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Lots of bad calls. Lengthy review on obvious call. Weird refs.

As bad of a job as I have ever seen in a final four!

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:15 PM
Heck of a game

fan345678
04-01-2017, 08:16 PM
Zags match up better but UNC does not like physical games

But we all know that the refs will suddenly change the way they've been calling SC, and UNC-CH would be in the bonus by the first TV timeout.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 08:17 PM
I say score quick - Zags won't foul. Then SC fouls and have a chance to win. I don't like chance of a three for OT

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
I say score quick - Zags won't foul. Then SC fouls and have a chance to win. I don't like chance of a three for OT

Zags fouled

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 08:19 PM
A smart foul by Perkins to prevent the 3 attempt. Now BLOCK OUT!

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Zags win

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2017, 08:21 PM
Collins MVP

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Collins MVP

The Luke Maye of the West

brevity
04-01-2017, 08:22 PM
Final: Gonzaga 77, South Carolina 73. Overheard in Phoenix...

ANGRY SEC FAN: I hope you get a case of shingles, ref!

JOHN HIGGINS: Well, they usually come in bundles, and we carry a variety of stone, slate, and asphalt shingles from reputable brands.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 08:24 PM
Really smart last foul from Zags at the end. Left SC hamstrung.

WHOneedsSOX
04-01-2017, 08:25 PM

They need to change the rule in college where you can advance the ball. Anyone know why they don't change it?

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 08:26 PM

They easily could have folded but made just enough plays. Good team. Glad they have a shot.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 08:26 PM
Zags fouled

Coach is smarter than me. With SC waiting that long to score, very sharp play.

Spanarkel
04-01-2017, 08:27 PM
Some more BS refing.

Just wait for the TV Ted(dy) show in the unc-Ducks game. Valentine was originally scheduled to ref tonight's first game, but schedule changed for unknown reasons this afternoon. unc is 5-0 in games "called" by Valentine this year.

duketaylor
04-01-2017, 08:27 PM
letting the Zags dribble for 20 seconds, down 3, with 40 seconds left. Killed your options. Terrible coaching decision. Pathetic, if K did that I'd say the same. Had they been down 1, maybe different. Can't be down 3 with 12.7 seconds left when you could've fouled down 3 with 40 seconds left.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I am so freaking happy for Gonzaga, to play through some of the worst calls ever in a final four game. So many players came through, Karnowski had two great shots close together when the game was tight, Collins kept getting blocks and rebounds, Goss was his usual warrior self despite the bad ankle. They so deserve this win and now the doubters can see what some of us out West have said all year: This is the best team in the country: Great balance, heart, skill, size, depth, match up problems, defense, coaching, etc!

Tripping William
04-01-2017, 08:32 PM
I'm okay with a PNW final. Quack quack!

duketaylor
04-01-2017, 08:33 PM
On top of my previous post, told my wonderful wife that USC should've pounded it inside to foul out both Zag bigs; didn't do it. Bad decisions!!

Indoor66
04-01-2017, 08:35 PM

He was coached by K on name spelling.

brevity
04-01-2017, 08:37 PM
Apologies if they mentioned this earlier, but the guy with the Triano jersey in the locker room is Dustin Triano, son of Jay Triano, associate coach of the Phoenix Suns and coach of the Canadian National Team.

Carry on without me. I can't watch the second semifinal because UNC has never lost an NCAA Tournament game I've seen on TV or listened to on the radio. Too many instances of stumbling across it, hearing them score in those few seconds, and later learning they won by one possession.

Go Oregon. To hell with the East Coast.

CDu
04-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Collins can play on our team any day. Massive motor.

The Luke Maye of the West

Hardly. Gonzaga has a pair of sure-fire NBA guys. One is Williams-Goss. The other is Collins. That dude is a stud, and is only a reserve because Karnowski is a fifth-year senior and well-respected. Williams has an NBA skillset and talent (6'9" guy with athleticism and ability to score at all three levels), but has consistency issues. Karnowski (bad back, lack of mobility related to that) is more of a fringe NBA guy. He would be a lock in the 80s, but in today's NBA game he would get exposed defensively in high ball screen action.

But Collins is a much better talent than Maye.

Interestingly, Collins backed up Jeter and Stephen Zimmerman in high school. He may well be the best of the three though.

Saratoga2
04-01-2017, 08:39 PM
I am so freaking happy for Gonzaga, to play through some of the worst calls ever in a final four game. So many players came through, Karnowski had two great shots close together when the game was tight, Collins kept getting blocks and rebounds, Goss was his usual warrior self despite the bad ankle. They so deserve this win and now the doubters can see what some of us out West have said all year: This is the best team in the country: Great balance, heart, skill, size, depth, match up problems, defense, coaching, etc!

Gonzaga was particularly good at hitting the 3, but one thing that disturbed me was how often Gonzaga players used their hands and arms to push away a defender. It wasn't until later in the game that the refs started to make the offensive foul call and then only on the most obvious. One would assume Frank Martin must have spoken to the refs about the lack of that call early on.

I think Duke would have had a lot of trouble with Gonzaga's size and quality. They play solid defense and have a variety of ways to score. Should UNC beat Oregon, at least the final game would pit size against size. Maybe the bigs for Gonzaga will go in the draft.

CDu
04-01-2017, 08:42 PM
Gonzaga was particularly good at hitting the 3, but one thing that disturbed me was how often Gonzaga players used their hands and arms to push away a defender. It wasn't until later in the game that the refs started to make the offensive foul call and then only on the most obvious. One would assume Frank Martin must have spoken to the refs about the lack of that call early on.

I think Duke would have had a lot of trouble with Gonzaga's size and quality. They play solid defense and have a variety of ways to score. Should UNC beat Oregon, at least the final game would pit size against size. Maybe the bigs for Gonzaga will go in the draft.

Yeah for those saying they would prefer USC because of the physicality, Gonzaga has pretty physical guards and plenty of size. And they play defense, unlike past Gonzaga teams.

That said, I am hoping Oregon pulls the upset tonight to make it moot.

bleedingblue88
04-01-2017, 08:46 PM
Props to the Zags for not folding when South Carolina was coming like a train. Hopefully our team next year can have the same mental toughness.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Hardly. Gonzaga has a pair of sure-fire NBA guys. One is Williams-Goss. The other is Collins. That dude is a stud, and is only a reserve because Karnowski is a fifth-year senior and well-respected. Williams has an NBA skillset and talent (6'9" guy with athleticism and ability to score at all three levels), but has consistency issues. Karnowski (bad back, lack of mobility related to that) is more of a fringe NBA guy. He would be a lock in the 80s, but in today's NBA game he would get exposed defensively in high ball screen action.

But Collins is a much better talent than Maye.

Interestingly, Collins backed up Jeter and Stephen Zimmerman in high school. He may well be the best of the three though.

His back is doing ok so far with the strong titanium rods, the surgery did not prevent him from making a great dunk tonight which you don't often see! I agree Karnowski would have to be on the right NBA team with the present emphases in the game, but it is not impossible. He will likely get a look at least with his passing and shooting percentage. (If Jah can play in the NBA with what passes as defense, you never know ...) In any case, Karnowski at the least will make a very nice living in Europe! The efficient Collins will likely be back next year for Gonzaga, and that program is attracting more and more talent, not just transfers. Great coach who has been patient in building what he envisioned. Now to close the deal Monday!

duketaylor
04-01-2017, 08:48 PM
there's no need to hurl in about 2 hours. I'm sick to my stomach already. Gonna hit some Tums and root, root, root for Ducks!! Did I just post/say that? Arghh!:eek:
9F9F9F9F9F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

slower
04-01-2017, 08:53 PM
Yeah for those saying they would prefer USC because of the physicality..

Yeah, but the fear there was that the refs would suddenly retrieve their whistles from their GI tracts and call the fouls on SC properly, as they SHOULD have been doing all along. I think UNC would have beaten SC easily. Gonzaga at least has enough skill inside and outside to hang with UNC, if the Ducks lay an egg tonight.

CDu
04-01-2017, 08:57 PM
Yeah, but the fear there was that the refs would suddenly retrieve their whistles from their GI tracts and call the fouls on SC properly, as they SHOULD have been doing all along. I think UNC would have beaten SC easily. Gonzaga at least has enough skill inside and outside to hang with UNC, if the Ducks lay an egg tonight.

Gonzaga will have the best player on the court in Williams-Goss. They actually have the edge inside, as Williams and Collins are better than Hicks and Bradley. I think Gonzaga is the better team. Hoping they get it done, regardless of if it is against UNC or Oregon.

Furniture
04-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Let's go Dillon!!!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:00 PM
Come on, erm, Brooks?

MCFinARL
04-01-2017, 09:02 PM
So, their team is in the final four and there are still Tarheel fans who are so obsessed they have to have signs that say "where's I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.?"? Sad.

gocanes0506
04-01-2017, 09:03 PM
I'd put serious money a Duke fan would do the same. I know I would.

Furniture
04-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Where's what? Who?

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Not that we need any more reasons to hate them but I heard Ol Roy on the radio today and he said the following and I will wrap it in quotes:

"These two teams, last season's and this season, have been very therapeutic for me. They have gotten my mind off that other "stuff"! ">Roy Williams, Head Basketball Coach @ uncCheat"

"Stuff" Roy? Stuff?? That's what you call it? You mean the 25 years of University controlled and managed systemic cheating to keep your players out of any real class and eligible to play? That stuff? A systemic cheating scheme that you knew full well existed and approved of? That stuff? The cheating scheme started by the almighty Dean Smith (RIP) after the guy 8 miles down the road won back to back National Titles?? That stuff??? Go to hell Roy Williams and take every uncCheat adult that knew also with you! You have no shame or integrity.

Stuff. Right got it.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:08 PM
Oregon playing poorly out of the gate

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 09:14 PM
Oregon playing poorly out of the gate

And right out of the gate this game is being called nothing at all like the first game. Touch foul city, mostly on Oregon. smh. I guess the university controls the NCAA ref's as well. Unreal.

ChrisP
04-01-2017, 09:15 PM
Apparently, Ducks breathing on Heels is a foul but...not so much other way 'round :(

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:18 PM
Apparently, Ducks breathing on Heels is a foul but...not so much other way 'round :(

Ugly game

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 09:21 PM
Ugly game

Both teams stinking it up on offense. Refs calling every little breath on someone closeby

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 09:22 PM
So far Ducks defense > UNC offense

Heels can't win that way.

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 09:27 PM

Yeah but unCheat Defense > Ducks Offense on other end

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:28 PM

Duck's O needs to keep up

Newton_14
04-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Whither Brooks and "Mr March" Dorsey??

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:33 PM
Bad call against Tiger Woods. Should have been a charge.

CDu
04-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Critical stretch coming up. If the Ducks can make it to halftime with Dorsey, Brooks, and Bell having a combined two fouls, they will likely be in strong shape. Oregon's tertiary weapons doing all the scoring. Dorsey and Brooks haven't gotten anything going yet.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:38 PM
Critical stretch coming up. If the Ducks can make it to halftime with Dorsey, Brooks, and Bell having a combined two fouls, they will likely be in strong shape. Oregon's tertiary weapons doing all the scoring. Dorsey and Brooks haven't gotten anything going yet.

They have done the job on D but need to get some separation

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:41 PM
Oh boy. Bell hurt

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Hmmm, drive and kick to take advantage of UNC's overhelp for easy corner 3s.

What film has Altman been watching?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:42 PM
Quack

Furniture
04-01-2017, 09:43 PM
Joel Berry doesn't look his normal self to me.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:44 PM
Hmmm, drive and kick to take advantage of UNC's overhelp for easy corner 3s.

What film has Altman been watching?

Need the shooters to make that work- but nice work the last couple minutes.

CDu
Oh boy. Bell hurt

Yeah, hopefully he is ok. They obviously need Bell.

Brooks is starting to warm up, and Ennis' 3s helped. Need to finish the half strong.

Newton_14

Ha! One of the reasons I love this board! I am always learning from the Duke grads! Thanks CDu!

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:46 PM
Yeah, hopefully he is ok. They obviously need Bell.

Brooks is starting to warm up, and Ennis' 3s helped. Need to finish the half strong.

Big mistake there

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:50 PM
Total phantom call on JJ's drive

devildeac
04-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Wearing our son's old Oregon Ducks hat and petting my old rubber Blue Devil ducky. Trying to pull out all the good luck charms for this one. :o

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:52 PM
Don't think the Ducks will be able to pull this off now

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:53 PM
Carolina playing terrible, up one. Second half could be ugly.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:54 PM

If Bell is out- no chance

CDu
04-01-2017, 09:54 PM

You could say the same the other way. Both teams playing poorly. Either could step up and win.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:56 PM
You could say the same the other way. Both teams playing poorly. Either could step up and win.

If UNC hits 30% from 3 and goes down low for 40% of their shots, they win by 20.

CDu
04-01-2017, 09:56 PM
If Bell is out- no chance

Bell has already returned. A while back.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:57 PM

Could yes- but only one will

CDu
04-01-2017, 09:57 PM
If UNC hits 30% from 3 and goes down low for 40% of their shots, they win by 20.

If Oregon stops turning it over and their best player gets his head out of his butt, they could win by 20.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Bell has already returned. A while back.

I had not noticed. But seems not involved.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Jeez. Someone stepped on a duck there...

Furniture
04-01-2017, 09:59 PM
It was a hell of a dunk by Hicks there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 10:00 PM
If Oregon stops turning it over and their best player gets his head out of his butt, they could win by 20.

Fair point. Weird half.

Furniture
Checked and it is. Just sayin.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

sbroc012
Game of runs...one team in the second half is going to get it rolling. Just feels like one of those games. Hope it's the ducks

Newton_14
Wow. Oregon was up 8 and in control and then was totally pathetic on both ends in the last 3 minutes of the half. Dorsey an Brooks look like they have been paid to tank this game. They both absolutely sucked in that half.

They look nothing like the team that destroyed Kansas. No attacking on offense at all. Ennis, Bell, and the backup PG are the only Oregon guys that came to play. Figures. Gonzaga is our last hope. I agree with CDu that Gonzaga has a better overall team than uncCheat but in a winner take all one game deal, anybody can win.... Please God, please do not let those cheaters win a title after going unpunished for twenty five years of absolute intentional cheating!!! My heart cannot take that!!

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 10:01 PM
In general what a contrast to the first game. Either team can win if they just play a good second half, Oregon's best player needs to get in gear and they will certainly have a chance. Have to stop the stupid turnovers!!!

CDu
04-01-2017, 10:03 PM
Fair point. Weird half.

Yeah, both teams really stunk out there. Hopefully Brooks and Dorsey wake up. If they do, I like Oregon's chances. If not, UNC probably wins.

Utley
04-01-2017, 10:03 PM
UNC was there to be had - hope Oregon didn't waste a big opportunity. I like the way they are fighting down low. Dorsey and Brooks have to want it more.

mgtr
04-01-2017, 10:11 PM
As noted, Oregon just cannot relax against the cheats. I think that Oregon may, may be able to pull it out. If not, then all our hopes rest with Gonzaga.

BigZ
04-01-2017, 10:16 PM
For what it's worth Gonzaga is better than Villanova's 2016 team and UNC is not as good as last year

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:22 PM
For what it's worth Gonzaga is better than Villanova's 2016 team and UNC is not as good as last year

Meeks is killing them

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:23 PM
Yeah, both teams really stunk out there. Hopefully Brooks and Dorsey wake up. If they do, I like Oregon's chances. If not, UNC probably wins.

Looks bad now for Oregon

Duke79UNLV77
04-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Quack collapse

BigZ
04-01-2017, 10:24 PM
Meeks is killing them

I don't think Gonzaga is playing

CDu
04-01-2017, 10:25 PM
Looks bad now for Oregon

At the moment, yes. They HAVE to get their stars going. They have no chance if Dorsey and Brooks continue to stink. That is a pair of NBA guys both laying eggs.

Dr. Rosenrosen
This is all part of the grand plan. The worst possible heartache for the cheaters... two champ game losses in row. It's coming.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15

As I said...

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:26 PM
At the moment, yes. They HAVE to get their stars going. They have no chance if Dorsey and Brooks continue to stink. That is a pair of NBA guys both laying eggs.

A lot like KYs stars

CDu
04-01-2017, 10:26 PM
As I said...

A bit early to be patting yourself on the back. They are shooting it better than 30% and aren't up 20 (or even close to it).

Oregon still has life. Dorsey finally made a shot. Let's see if he gets going.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:28 PM
A bit early to be patting yourself on the back.

Ducks need to figure out how to stop Meeks or they have no chance

slower
04-01-2017, 10:28 PM
I don't have the stomach to watch this one, not even for one second.

Zags may be our last hope. This year has gone from the highest of hopes to, potentially, the depths of despair.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:30 PM
I don't have the stomach to watch this one, not even for one second.

I am getting there as well- I give the Ducks to the 10 Minute mark

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 10:34 PM
Infuriating watching them get easy shots on the fast break. Like it's some surprise starategy by the cheats.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 10:35 PM
Holy $&@#!!! CBS just talked about the scandal for 10 seconds.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:36 PM
Infuriating watching them get easy shots on the fast break. Like it's some surprise starategy by the cheats.

Jackson is not missing tonight

Atlanta Duke
04-01-2017, 10:36 PM

"Swirling innuendo" from Nantz

Rafferty says it has taken so long - no explanation why that might be

CDu
04-01-2017, 10:37 PM
Now if Oregon continues to turn it over and UNC keeps shooting 40% on 3s, then yes, UNC will win comfortably.

Duke79UNLV77
04-01-2017, 10:38 PM

With the tone of poor Carolina, so forthright dealing with allegations and having to live with them. Sickening

westwall
holy $&@#!!! Cbs just talked about the scandal for 10 seconds.

"innuendo" ???

BigZ
Ducks going to zone too early

Furniture
04-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Jackson is not missing tonight

He has hit some really difficult shots. He is good.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:39 PM
Now if Oregon continues to turn it over and UNC keeps shooting 40% on 3s, then yes, UNC will win comfortably.

Only two players scoring for UNC.

dukelifer
04-01-2017, 10:40 PM
He has hit some really difficult shots. He is good.

Unfortunately yes. He has made himself a lot of cash with this game.

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 10:41 PM
Oregon needs to start hitting outside shots. Tough to beat UNC without doing that. They leave you open.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 10:42 PM
Ducks need to figure out how to stop Meeks or they have no chance

9/10 is burly

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 10:43 PM
"innuendo" ???

That would be 10 seconds about Pitino...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 10:48 PM
Ducks hanging around

MCFinARL
04-01-2017, 10:50 PM
Where's what? Who?

Sorry, didn't realize I would get blocked for that. The sign said "where's Duke" but with a different spelling.

Duke79UNLV77
04-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Oregon missing layups and pinson making a 3 and Squidward making tough 3s. Bad night.

CDu
04-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Just a disappointing shooting night from Dorsey and Brooks. Oregon needs so much more from them. They can score just as well as Jackson. But haven't done it. And Jackson has been red hot on the other.

BigZ
04-01-2017, 10:54 PM
It's safe to say the 2015 Final Four had three teams better than any teams in the last two

slower
04-01-2017, 10:54 PM
Just a disappointing shooting night from Dorsey and Brooks. Oregon needs so much more from them. They can score just as well as Jackson. But haven't done it. And Jackson has been red hot on the other.
This whole year is turning into a worst-case scenario.

Dukehky
04-01-2017, 10:55 PM
Pritchard has been the worst player on the court the entire game. Just an atrocious performance from him. I think the defense has been really good on Brooks and Dorsey actually

WiJoe
04-01-2017, 10:55 PM
berry 1-10
hicks 1-12
cheats comfortably ahead
nauseating

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 10:56 PM
Meeks a 4 year guy playing his best ball of his career.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 10:59 PM
Brooks and Dorsey will both start hitting threes in the closing minute when it doesn't matter.

NM Duke Fan
04-01-2017, 11:00 PM
Neither team has ever gotten into rhythm, a lot of one on one by Oregon. Except for Jackson shooting for the baby blues, this would be even more of a cluncker game. I thnk Gonzaga has a very nice chance against either one of these in terms of talent and matchups, and will have a couple more hours of rest too.

Furniture
04-01-2017, 11:00 PM
5 mins to go. It's not over yet!!

kako
04-01-2017, 11:01 PM
UNC is in control of a game, but they can't put the other team away. The screw turns late in the game - Heels can't hit and turn the ball over, they miss FT's... the other team hits 3s and wins in the last minute. It's happened before, we've all seen it. Pray now. 9F.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-01-2017, 11:03 PM
I could shoot better than the ducks. Jeez.

CDu
04-01-2017, 11:03 PM
Just an awful shooting night from Oregon. If their stars had shown up, they would win.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 11:04 PM
Come on ducks....