PDA

View Full Version : I still hate 'em, but ...

jcastranio
03-27-2017, 11:44 AM
I have to admit that the UNC team is an enjoyable, blue-collar, not really irritating group. Experience, juniors and seniors, unsung recruits developing into key players - it reminds of Duke teams in the early 90's.

I know that UNC is a bunch of "cheaters" - but really don't think these guys had anything to do with that.

I love all of our players and I worship Coach K, but I am a little envious of the veteran teams in the final four - including the hated rivals.

SlapTheFloor
03-27-2017, 11:48 AM
I have to admit that the UNC team is an enjoyable, blue-collar, not really irritating group. Experience, juniors and seniors, unsung recruits developing into key players - it reminds of Duke teams in the early 90's.

I know that UNC is a bunch of "cheaters" - but really don't think these guys had anything to do with that.

I love all of our players and I worship Coach K, but I am a little envious of the veteran teams in the final four - including the hated rivals.

I never really hate UNC's players (well, there are some exceptions). My disdain is reserved for their fans, administration, and athletic staff. It galls me that they're going to a second straight Final Four when they should be in the midst of a multiple-year post-season ban.

DukeFanSince1990
03-27-2017, 12:02 PM
Maye traveled. Just saying.

Dukehky
03-27-2017, 12:20 PM
I hold a pretty high level of disdain for Kennedy Meeks, and Justin Jackson annoys the hell out of me, but everyone else is okay.

But it doesn't matter. It's never been about the players. It's about the fans. F them. I don't want their players to succeed because then their fans are happy, and they are the worst.

K bye.

PackMan97
03-27-2017, 12:20 PM
Nope. This team is full of cheaters built on a foundation of cheating since 1988 (at least). there is nothing to like about kids that want to take the easy way to success. Give me a mid-major and two P5 schools that haven't seen much BB success lately over the Cheaters any day of the week and twice on Monday!

WillJ
03-27-2017, 12:35 PM
No, no, a thousand times no. Don't let the lack of obvious objections to UNC's current players fool you. We know, simply because they chose to go to UNC, that they are deeply flawed human beings. They may seem normal and likeable, but they're not. As Albert Brooks said to Holly Hunter in Broadcast News, "Do you think the devil will always wear horns? No. He'll look like William Hurt."

I feel strongly on this issue.

OldPhiKap
03-27-2017, 12:51 PM
Roy knew. 'Nuf said for me.

subzero02
03-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Maye traveled. Just saying.

I agree... i noticed a travel at the end of the usc/uf game too.

Close this thread and burn all of the posts. GTHC GTHC.

Hingeknocker
03-27-2017, 01:12 PM
There are no buts! Ever!

This team is the one that needed a blown call to get past Arkansas...45 minutes before their fans contributed to a powder keg that the refs threw a lit match into that sealed our demise.

This team is the one whose bracket last year was the easiest path to the Final Four ever, and THEN played a 10 seed in the semis.

This team is the one whose bracket this year had the weakest 8/9 seeds and the weakest 4/5 seeds.

This team is the one that had numerous missed calls go their way against Kentucky.

They get nothing. They deserve nothing. GTHC.

mattman91
03-27-2017, 01:13 PM
They can go to hell.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2017, 01:18 PM
Maye traveled. Just saying.I was about to ask if anyone else noticed. He caught the ball and took a step back before dribbling. I guess the refs didn't want to make the call in that situation. He traveled on the and 1 too.

kako
03-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Once you put on Carolina blue, I got nuttin' but hate for ya honey.

kybluedevil
03-27-2017, 01:42 PM
Luke Maye was in class at 8'am this morning. Got a standing ovation. Give the kid (and program) some credit.

Furthermore, these kids still came to UNC with the potential NCAA investigation hanging over the program. They had no idea if UNC would have a post-season ban at all. Got to admire that.
Following the Eddie Sutton debacle, UK couldn't recruit for a long long time.

UNC fans no different than any University of [insert state school here].

Hingeknocker
03-27-2017, 01:49 PM
Luke Maye was in class at 8'am this morning. Got a standing ovation. Give the kid (and program) some credit.

Furthermore, these kids still came to UNC with the potential NCAA investigation hanging over the program. They had no idea if UNC would have a post-season ban at all. Got to admire that.

No. You don't get credit for the bare minimum. That video of him getting a standing ovation was gross. Do you think there would be universal positive media reaction if the exact same thing happened at Duke? Spoiler alert: there would not.

And no, you don't give the program credit for, up until now, avoiding punishment while being permitted to make two Final Four runs in a row.

eddiehaskell
03-27-2017, 01:49 PM

UNC fans no different than any University of [insert state school here].So Duke fans should essentially be UNC fans because their players went there despite a cheating scandal coming to light? Sorry, but no. The players (and their parents) that chose UNC most likely didn't care about the cheating. I doubt they had some kind of altruistic intentions of reclaiming the schools moral high ground. 99% of the UNC fans I know don't give a rat's arse about any scandal...they laugh when you refer to it as cheating. In their minds the "Carolina Way" has never been breached.

elvis14
03-27-2017, 02:10 PM
Nope. This team is full of cheaters built on a foundation of cheating since 1988 (at least). there is nothing to like about kids that want to take the easy way to success. Give me a mid-major and two P5 schools that haven't seen much BB success lately over the Cheaters any day of the week and twice on Monday!

I think PackMan pretty much sets things straight here.

Luke Maye travelled. Glad I didn't' see the video of him getting cheered.
Choosing to go to a University that has cheated for over 20 years doesn't give you a 'pass' it does the opposite it makes you worthy of scorn and any punishment that may and should have already come your way. Good kids choose good schools, not dirty, cheating schools. Admire it? Strike that, reverse it. Dean knew. Roy knew. These kids knew. I hope they miss every shot they ever take at any level.

I can tell you that UNCheat fans are different than Duke fans. I've watched way too many games with UNC fans. If they are not winning they throw their team under the bus for blowing it...they never ever give any credit to the opposition. When we lost to USC, I was unhappy with the way the game was called but I freely admit that we didn't' "screw up", USC played/shot fantastic. I have good friends that I won't even talk hoops with much less watch a game with...all of them Cheaters.

9F

OldPhiKap
03-27-2017, 03:09 PM
No. You don't get credit for the bare minimum. That video of him getting a standing ovation was gross. Do you think there would be universal positive media reaction if the exact same thing happened at Duke? Spoiler alert: there would not.

And no, you don't give the program credit for, up until now, avoiding punishment while being permitted to make two Final Four runs in a row.

Exactly right on both points. And it's the second one that's so galling.

subzero02
03-27-2017, 04:19 PM

Were they clapping because of the shot he made or because he was the first basketball player to attend a class in 30 years?

DukieInKansas
03-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Were they clapping because of the shot he made or because he was the first basketball player to attend a class in 30 years?

I'm assuming that, as a walk on, he had to be sure to get the grades necessary for any student to continue attending unc. Perhaps he just hasn't gotten the word that he doesn't have to follow normal rules now? ;)

I'm glad to know he went to class this morning. I think it says a lot about a young man that wanted to play basketball at unc so much that he passed on scholarship opportunities to be a walk on. That's dedication. (I might question his judgement on this desire, but he stuck with it.)

eddiehaskell
03-27-2017, 05:41 PM
I'm assuming that, as a walk on, he had to be sure to get the grades necessary for any student to continue attending unc. Perhaps he just hasn't gotten the word that he doesn't have to follow normal rules now? ;)

I'm glad to know he went to class this morning. I think it says a lot about a young man that wanted to play basketball at unc so much that he passed on scholarship opportunities to be a walk on. That's dedication. (I might question his judgement on this desire, but he stuck with it.)What offers did he have? I've heard Davidson and Clemson. If his parents have plenty of money and he's offered a spot on the team, UNC might not be such a tough decision in that situation. Being from the Charlotte area, I'm guessing he was a lifelong UNC fan.

UNCfan
03-27-2017, 06:47 PM
I'm guessing he was a lifelong UNC fan.

His father is Mark Maye and he played QB for UNC.

lotusland
03-27-2017, 07:09 PM
I have no problem hating them. It comes easily to me. I think I deserve a spot on Mt. Hatemore with the DBR legends.

Dukehky
03-27-2017, 07:10 PM
I have no problem hating them. It comes easily to me. I think I deserve a spot on Mt. Hatemore with the DBR legends.

I never really understood why I was never elevated to that position either.

weezie
03-27-2017, 08:31 PM
His father is Mark Maye and he played QB for UNC.

How about your new QB transfer from lsu? He looks like a...hmmm, bit of a project?

And to the venerated Dukehky and lotusland, The Mt. is becoming more like the entrance to a fine Gothic Chapel, yeah, you know the one. Plenty of room for many gargoyles...:cool:

Duke76
03-27-2017, 08:48 PM
There are no buts! Ever!

This team is the one that needed a blown call to get past Arkansas...45 minutes before their fans contributed to a powder keg that the refs threw a lit match into that sealed our demise.

This team is the one whose bracket last year was the easiest path to the Final Four ever, and THEN played a 10 seed in the semis.

This team is the one whose bracket this year had the weakest 8/9 seeds and the weakest 4/5 seeds.

This team is the one that had numerous missed calls go their way against Kentucky.

They get nothing. They deserve nothing. GTHC.

you got that right...the biggest blown call I have and most of us have ever seen. I still can't get over it....on another note i don't believe the refs who ref'ed our game have seen the court since then have they,,,,bet they graded out the worst....but that ref'ed that was standing right in front of the carolina bench and the Berry should be banished from the NCAA's forever, imo

devildeac
03-27-2017, 08:51 PM

I never really understood why I was never elevated to that position either.

How about your new QB transfer from lsu? He looks like a...hmmm, bit of a project?

And to the venerated Dukehky and lotusland, The Mt. is becoming more like the entrance to a fine Gothic Chapel, yeah, you know the one. Plenty of room for many gargoyles...:cool:

Few numbers retired, many in the Hall of Honor. ;)