PDA

View Full Version : Favorite unc Losses Witnessed

Spanarkel
03-24-2017, 11:52 AM
I've been very fortunate to have attended(chronologically) the 1)'77 title game when Marquette defeated the favored heels, 2)'81 unc @ Duke OT thriller, 3)'84 regional final vs. IU/MJ's final college game, and 4)ACC debut for FSU when the 'Noles(minus Douglas Edwards)shocked unc at the dean dome in Dec. 1991. Can't attend tonight's Butler/unc game, but would love for Chris Holtmann(formerly at Gardner-Webb)to outcoach Roy. If the refs call half of the actual walks and over-the-back fouls on unc...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2017, 12:14 PM
I've been very fortunate to have attended(chronologically) the 1)'77 title game when Marquette defeated the favored heels, 2)'81 unc @ Duke OT thriller, 3)'84 regional final vs. IU/MJ's final college game, and 4)ACC debut for FSU when the 'Noles(minus Douglas Edwards)shocked unc at the dean dome in Dec. 1991. Can't attend tonight's Butler/unc game, but would love for Chris Holtmann(formerly at Gardner-Webb)to outcoach Roy. If the refs call half of the actual walks and over-the-back fouls on unc...

Um, there was a pretty sweet loss about a year ago as I recall.

TruBlu
03-24-2017, 12:17 PM
All of them. And there have been many. Not enough, but many. More to come.

Duke1988
03-24-2017, 12:17 PM
ACC Championship game 2011 in Greensboro. Surrounded by cheat fans. We dominated them...how sweet it was.

chrishoke
03-24-2017, 12:21 PM
From GoDuke.com Johbn Roth
Fabulous Fred
March 2, 1968 87–86 triple-overtime thriller

DURHAM – Fred Lind had scored only 12 points all year, but his work off the bench in the Duke-Carolina game in 1968 turned him into a legendary figure in Blue Devil basketball history.

A 6–8 junior forward, Lind hadn’t seen a minute of action against UNC since scoring 20 points on the Tar Heel junior varsity his freshman year. But with star center Mike Lewis plagued by foul trouble, coach Vic Bubas called Lind’s number and saw his reserve make play after play in an 87–86 triple-overtime thriller that some regard as the most exciting Duke-Carolina game ever staged at the Indoor Stadium.

Lind played 31 minutes, scored 16 points, and had nine rebounds. When Lewis fouled out with 3:54 to go, Lind went the rest of the way. He hit a pair of foul shots at the end of regulation to force overtime, and knocked down an 18-footer with seven seconds left in the first OT to force the second one. He came up with several key rebounds in the second OT. In the final five minutes he nailed a hook shot, blocked a shot by the Tar Heels, and grabbed another critical rebound—all to the delight of his fellow students, who carried him on their shoulders when he was the last to emerge from the locker room.

Duke (87) – Kennedy 14, Vandenberg 13, Lewis 18, Golden 13, Wendelin 8, Lind 16, Barone 5, Claiborne, Kolodziej, Teer
North Carolina (86) – Miller 15, Scott 14, Clark 15, Bunting 14, Grubar 17, Brown 9, Fogler 2

kAzE
03-24-2017, 01:08 PM
They had 2 pretty spectacular losses last year, one courtesy of Grayson Allen, and the other thanks to Kris Jenkins.

Wander
03-24-2017, 01:13 PM
82-50

Devils Librarian
03-24-2017, 01:14 PM
When FSU beat them by 30 and Roy left his walk-ons on the floor to finish the game while he and the scholarship players hightailed it to the locker room.

Quick question for some of the longtime college basketball fans: Do you ever remember another coach leaving part of his team on the floor while he and everyone else hit the showers?

BD80
03-24-2017, 01:19 PM
Airrrr-balllllll. 7-0 halftime.

Cost me a relationship with a very attractive and sweet unc coed. Worth it.

Matches
03-24-2017, 01:26 PM
My favorite in-person UNC loss was a football game and we were not involved. It was against NC State in Mack Brown's first year. State beat UNC 48-3 and after a late penalty the crowd began chanting "Cheating won't help." Tons of fun.

gotoguy
03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
Saw the IU-UNC game at the Omni in 84 on my birthday, what a nice present! That 84 ACC semifinal game was also very sweet.

Also in the ATL the 2001 ACC title game, the Duke crowd chanting, "drive home safely" as the heel fans slinked out early in the 79-53 rout.

CDu
03-24-2017, 01:38 PM
My personal favorite is the first UNC I ever saw in person: Duke over UNC in Cameron the Spring of 1998.

82-50 is pretty grand. The Rivers shot is pretty grand. This year's ACC semifinal is surely up there. But I wasn't there for any of those.

gam7
03-24-2017, 01:38 PM
I was in the building for:

1997 NCAA National Semifinal, Arizona 66, UNC 58
1998 NCAA National Semifinal, Utah 65, UNC 59

These were high-risk, high-reward games for me to attend. And, the rewards were very high, let me tell you.

COYS
03-24-2017, 02:49 PM
I'm too young to go back too far, but 82-50 is my pick. There was something so cathartic about 82-50. UNC had beaten Duke in four consecutive games in Cameron. The Cheats had won two titles since Duke last went to a Final Four. Only a complete and utter demolition of UNC that all but guaranteed an NIT appearance for the Sheep would do. And that is exactly what we did. It's hard for one win to make up for four straight seasons of disappointment in Cameron, but 82-50 was about as close as a win could get. That we went on to win the title a few weeks later makes it even sweeter. That we've gone on to reestablish our ascendancy in the rivalry since makes 82-50 standout as a turning point.

Edouble
03-24-2017, 02:57 PM
My personal favorite is the first UNC I ever saw in person: Duke over UNC in Cameron the Spring of 1998.

82-50 is pretty grand. The Rivers shot is pretty grand. This year's ACC semifinal is surely up there. But I wasn't there for any of those.

Ding ding ding. We have a winner! Completely epic!

75Crazie
03-24-2017, 03:03 PM
This is at best a bittersweet memory to me because it was followed just a week later by an ignominious defeat to the same Holes in the ACC Tourney. However, it did result in an epic quote from SI: "least iron in a half".

kako
03-24-2017, 03:12 PM
My favorite in person: Duke over UNC in Cameron in 1986. Duke wins its first ACC regular season title in 20 years. Dean Smith meets 3rd place in the ACC in about as many years. Duke hadn't beaten UNC in Cameron since the Banks' shot in 1981. Cameron was absolutely crazy. Remember back then, the students had *all* the seats in the lower level.

My favorite ever: Duke over UNC at the Dean Dome in 2012. The only buzzer beater ever in the rivalry. I keep the game on my DVR. I love the side angle when the shot goes up - Duke is down 84-82 and it's clearly on the visible scoreboard. Then the scoreboard goes black when it hits 0:00. And the ball goes in. Nothing was sweeter.

But last year's loss to Villanova was pretty sweet, too. Actually, ANY Carolina loss is pretty sweet!

plimnko
03-24-2017, 03:19 PM
my favorite loss is ANY loss..........witnessed or unwitnessed

rasputin
03-24-2017, 03:25 PM
my favorite loss is ANY loss......witnessed or unwitnessed

My favorite UNCheater loss is in the future: when they get stripped of a national title or two.

elvis14
03-24-2017, 03:27 PM
Right now I'm thinking it's the 2017 loss to Butler in the NCAA tournament on 3/24/17. The last year UNC has a decent team before their poor recruiting (because of the cheating) catches up with them.

UrinalCake
03-24-2017, 03:49 PM
I think you need to have a whole separate category for non-Duke losses. Any time we beat them it's going to carry additional meaning. I enjoyed seeing them lose to Georgetown in the tournament in what was I think Hansbrough's junior year. Greg Monroe laid the smackdown on the big dumb oaf the way we never could.

RPS
03-24-2017, 03:57 PM
This is at best a bittersweet memory to me because it was followed just a week later by an ignominious defeat to the same Holes in the ACC Tourney. However, it did result in an epic quote from SI: "least iron in a half".
My favorite in person UNC defeats are this one (1979) and the 1981 Tinkerball and roses classic.

devilsince1977
03-24-2017, 04:21 PM
Any loss to Duke ranks above all others. After that I would say Tournament losses. The ones that come to mind are the NCAA loss to Nova last year, 2010 NIT loss to Dayton -- made especially sweet with our NCAA crown, 1984 Indiana in sweet 16 (good bye MJ) and Weber State in 1999.

Any loss when Hansborough was on the floor. I loved to see him cry like a spoiled child.

Now that I think about it; I celebrate every time they loose. I would pull for the Russians before I would root for the Cheats.

Although I detest a Clemson; the Cheats first home loss to Clemson was fabulous, never mind still waiting on that one.

weezie
03-24-2017, 04:25 PM
Ooo, oooo, the loss to GTech in the then MCI Center during the 2005 ACC tournament. THAT was super fun, even if the holes did go onto some other tournament thing win.

chrishoke
03-24-2017, 04:31 PM
I have to say, watching Art Heyman drop 40 on the heels and Duke break 100 in his home final was pretty sweet!

Tommac
03-24-2017, 04:55 PM
When I was a senior in HS (71-72), I attended the Duke home game in Cameron against UNC during Robert McAdoo's only year in college. Don't remember much except that Duke won the game and held McAdoo to 3 points for the day. That was a great day.

arnie
03-24-2017, 06:48 PM
When I was a senior in HS (71-72), I attended the Duke home game in Cameron against UNC during Robert McAdoo's only year in college. Don't remember much except that Duke won the game and held McAdoo to 3 points for the day. That was a great day.

Was there also and all you need to remember is Robbie West.

BigZ
03-24-2017, 06:53 PM
Weber State

sagegrouse
03-24-2017, 06:55 PM
I hope this doesn't come across as gloating:

The Art Heyman-Larry Brown fight in 1961 -- Duke 81, UNC 77.
The Duke win in the last game against Michael Jordan in the ACC tournament in Greensboro in 1984 -- Duke 77, UNC 75.
The "Wojo game" on Senior Day in 1998, when Duke fought back from a 17-point deficit -- Duke 77, UNC 75.

Aladuke
03-24-2017, 06:58 PM

Also there for the Robbie West halfcourt toss. Front row where press row is now. Great memory. McAdoo was 1-12, I think.

stedge
03-24-2017, 07:17 PM
77-75 1998
82-50 when we took our food off the gas. Could've been 100-50, whichmight have been even better.

stedge
03-24-2017, 07:18 PM
Pardonthe mobile typos.

Philsfan
03-25-2017, 05:35 PM
ACC Championship game 2011 in Greensboro. Surrounded by cheat fans. We dominated them...how sweet it was.

I was there as well, sitting in an-all cheat section. Only one left with about 3 minutes to go. It was glorious!

jv001
03-25-2017, 06:14 PM
I'm too young to go back too far, but 82-50 is my pick. There was something so cathartic about 82-50. UNC had beaten Duke in four consecutive games in Cameron. The Cheats had won two titles since Duke last went to a Final Four. Only a complete and utter demolition of UNC that all but guaranteed an NIT appearance for the Sheep would do. And that is exactly what we did. It's hard for one win to make up for four straight seasons of disappointment in Cameron, but 82-50 was about as close as a win could get. That we went on to win the title a few weeks later makes it even sweeter. That we've gone on to reestablish our ascendancy in the rivalry since makes 82-50 standout as a turning point.

This^ !!!!

The 82-50 game is my favorite basketball loss for the cheats. The best non-Duke football loss was when the Cheats played Oklahoma. All my cheat friends/fans kept saying well the Sooners might pass the ball against us but they'll get nothing on the ground. The reason they said that was because Lawrence Taylor was on that team. I think the cheats lost something like 45-0 and ran the ball down their throats. Well, that's the way I remember it anyway. GoDuke!

Tom B.
03-27-2017, 03:41 PM
UNC losses vs. Duke: 1/19/1991 -- My first UNC vs. Duke game in person! Duke wins 74-60, after trailing 28-24 at halftime. Hung 50 on 'em in the second half. Laettner has 18 and 12; Thomas Hill comes off the bench to score 20 in 23 minutes.

3/15/1992 -- Duke pounds UNC 94-74 in the ACC Tournament final. UNC had beaten us in Chapel Hill earlier that year (the game in which Hurley broke his foot). Then we got payback against them in Cameron in the regular season finale. A week later, we win the rubber match decisively, en route to the second of our back-to-back national titles. Very satisfying.

1/29/1997 -- Often forgotten, but a big game in Duke-UNC history, at least from the Duke side. UNC had won seven in a row against Duke dating back to 1993. If Duke can't win at least one of the two games against Carolina in 1997, then it'll be the first time in forever that a class graduates from Duke without ever experiencing a win over Carolina. This was the game in which K broke out the small-ball lineup, benching Greg Newton and starting freshman Chris Carrawell (along with Wojo, Capel, Langdon, and Roshown McLeod) in his place. Duke trails by six late, but the crowd wills the team to one last run. With about a minute and a half to go and the shot clock winding down, Langdon pulls up and buries a deep three-pointer from the right wing (he'd finish with 28 points), and the crowd goes ballistic. Seriously, it's maybe the loudest I've ever heard Cameron. UNC fails to score on its next possession, and Duke salts the game away. In the closing seconds, with Duke up by five, UNC misses a shot and the ball ends up in the hands of a streaking Roshown McLeod, who punctuates the 80-73 win with a full-court fast-break dunk at the final horn. Crowd storms the floor as almost four years of futility against Carolina comes to a cathartic end.

3/8/2002 -- Duke beats Carolina 60-48 in the opening round of the ACC Tournament. Carolina was dreadful that year; this was Matt Doherty's team that went 8-20. Duke had already beaten Carolina badly twice that year (by 29 and 25 points), so Doherty, in desperation, decided to play stall ball. Result: a boring and ugly game that Carolina still lost by double digits. #Sad.

But maybe my favorite Carolina loss that I've witnessed in person didn't come at Duke's hands: 3/30/1991 -- Kansas upsets Carolina 79-73 in the national semifinal. Everyone assumed it would be Carolina vs. UNLV in the finals. Nope. Carolina lost, while Duke upset UNLV en route to its first national championship. And to make Carolina's loss that much more delicious, Dean Smith picked up a second technical foul and was ejected in the final minute of the game. :)

Tom B.
03-28-2017, 06:15 PM
1/29/1997 -- Often forgotten, but a big game in Duke-UNC history, at least from the Duke side. UNC had won seven in a row against Duke dating back to 1993. If Duke can't win at least one of the two games against Carolina in 1997, then it'll be the first time in forever that a class graduates from Duke without ever experiencing a win over Carolina. This was the game in which K broke out the small-ball lineup, benching Greg Newton and starting freshman Chris Carrawell (along with Wojo, Capel, Langdon, and Roshown McLeod) in his place. Duke trails by six late, but the crowd wills the team to one last run. With about a minute and a half to go and the shot clock winding down, Langdon pulls up and buries a deep three-pointer from the right wing (he'd finish with 28 points), and the crowd goes ballistic. Seriously, it's maybe the loudest I've ever heard Cameron. UNC fails to score on its next possession, and Duke salts the game away. In the closing seconds, with Duke up by five, UNC misses a shot and the ball ends up in the hands of a streaking Roshown McLeod, who punctuates the 80-73 win with a full-court fast-break dunk at the final horn. Crowd storms the floor as almost four years of futility against Carolina comes to a cathartic end.

OK, I slightly misremembered the sequence of events in this game. Duke was actually clinging to a two-point lead when Langdon hit the big three-pointer, with just under a minute left.

Here's the video of the final minute of that game:

https://youtu.be/Iu2HQZFgLpU?t=4861

BigWayne
03-28-2017, 06:27 PM

Google told me it's spelled Robby West. Found a good read on the game. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205365073)

BluDvlsN1
03-28-2017, 07:32 PM
2/8/2012

Enough said! ;) :cool:

dbcooper
03-28-2017, 07:35 PM

I loved this game and lets remember, If Duke would not have scored a single point in the 2nd half... Duke would have still won!! It was Beautiful and Intoxicating to take in - this win was!

howardlander
03-28-2017, 08:45 PM

Cost me a relationship with a very attractive and sweet unc coed. Worth it.

My birthday sophomore year. Great memory.

Howard

Aladuke
03-28-2017, 08:47 PM
Google told me it's spelled Robby West. Found a good read on the game. (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205365073)

I was 21 then. Now I'm 66. I remembered that shot as just across half court, and that is about where I was sitting. But, all things considered, an 18 footer would be like a half court shot for me now.
I was also sitting in the same spot when Bobby Jones intercepted the inbounds pass right in front of me and took it in for a layup to beat us either in 73 or 74. I much preferred '72.

BluDvlsN1
03-28-2017, 09:02 PM
The 2012 above #38 in this thread was magical..

Beating unc at Cameron was beyond description the Team and the Crazies
were in concert, and they could hear it in Raleigh..

Beat unc 92-90 OT
Justise was served..

Only a couple of pre game videos to share.

The rest was too exciting to video, ;)

IMG_2746.MOV / 70MB of 70MB

IMG_2749.MOV / 69MB of 69MB

and I digress a tad with this..Because Tyus was key in this
win as was Quinn Jah and Amile.

...and in the end Banner #5 and
Mr. Stones being prophetic as a high school senior
texting K after an early loss in the tournament
the previous year..

That won't happen next year Coach! :cool:
or words to that effect.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tyus-jones-text-message-to-mike-krzyzewski-2015-4

FrmrBallboy92
03-29-2017, 11:23 AM
[U]1/29/1997 -- Often forgotten, but a big game in Duke-UNC history, at least from the Duke side. UNC had won seven in a row against Duke dating back to 1993. If Duke can't win at least one of the two games against Carolina in 1997, then it'll be the first time in forever that a class graduates from Duke without ever experiencing a win over Carolina. This was the game in which K broke out the small-ball lineup, benching Greg Newton and starting freshman Chris Carrawell (along with Wojo, Capel, Langdon, and Roshown McLeod) in his place. Duke trails by six late, but the crowd wills the team to one last run. With about a minute and a half to go and the shot clock winding down, Langdon pulls up and buries a deep three-pointer from the right wing (he'd finish with 28 points), and the crowd goes ballistic. Seriously, it's maybe the loudest I've ever heard Cameron. UNC fails to score on its next possession, and Duke salts the game away. In the closing seconds, with Duke up by five, UNC misses a shot and the ball ends up in the hands of a streaking Roshown McLeod, who punctuates the 80-73 win with a full-court fast-break dunk at the final horn. Crowd storms the floor as almost four years of futility against Carolina comes to a cathartic end.

[/list]

That 1997 game is one I'll always remember. I was only 14 at the time, but had been going to games since I was 5 years old. I have never witnessed a crowd will a team to victory like I did that night. That night was the loudest I've ever heard Cameron for an entire 40 minutes. It seemed like a constant roar that night that every one of the 9,314 was involved . I remember prior to the start all the players were on the floor waiting for the officials to do the tip off, but they hadn't gotten the go ahead from ESPN (TV was obviously different then). The crazies were doing their usual pregame jumping up and down, but eventually stopped when it was evident that we were waiting for ESPN to switch over to our game. Instead, the Crazies started chanting "Go To Hell Carolina, Go to Hell!" and then the entire upper bowl and even the blue hairs joined in the chant. I had heard that cheer a thousand times, but never like that with the entire crowd on their feet doing it as one and that loud. It was so satisfying when Langdon nailed that dagger and coming away with that W.

I think we played Georgia Tech or Wake in an early Saturday afternoon game a few days later and showing up to the game and all the people around us were talking about how exhausted they were from the UNC game. That '97 game definitely ranks as one of my all time favorite moments in Cameron.

Avvocato
03-29-2017, 12:23 PM
But maybe my favorite Carolina loss that I've witnessed in person didn't come at Duke's hands: 3/30/1991 -- Kansas upsets Carolina 79-73 in the national semifinal. Everyone assumed it would be Carolina vs. UNLV in the finals. Nope. Carolina lost, while Duke upset UNLV en route to its first national championship. And to make Carolina's loss that much more delicious, Dean Smith picked up a second technical foul and was ejected in the final minute of the game. :)

I was at this one as well. Not only great watching UNC go down and Dean ejected, but just spending Game 1 of the Final Four rooting against them and leading the Kansas fans in anti-Carolina chants was a ton of fun. Not to mention we follow it up by shocking UNLV and then going on to win our first two days later. You couldn't plan a better weekend (other than maybe beating UNC in the final, but I'm okay with how it played out).

royalblue
03-29-2017, 01:39 PM
I was at this one as well. Not only great watching UNC go down and Dean ejected, but just spending Game 1 of the Final Four rooting against them and leading the Kansas fans in anti-Carolina chants was a ton of fun. Not to mention we follow it up by shocking UNLV and then going on to win our first two days later. You couldn't plan a better weekend (other than maybe beating UNC in the final, but I'm okay with how it played out).

I was not at this one but it's my favorite day ever
Dean ejected ( I was hoping for a lifetime ban)
Arguably Duke's greatest win

99 at Dean's SAC
Duhon coast to coast
2011 ACC tourney
2001 ACC tourney

This is my favorite Thread ever

Tom B.
03-29-2017, 02:26 PM

The other fun thing about that day was teaming up with the Kansas fans. My seats were on the "border" between the Duke and Kansas sections -- I literally had Duke fans on one side of me and Kansas fans on the other. We quickly came to an understanding with the Kansas fans seated near us -- we'd cheer for Kansas in the first game (like we'd ever cheer for Carolina, ha!), and they'd cheer for us in the second game (which was to their advantage -- they'd much rather have faced us than the UNLV buzzsaw). So we rooted hard for Kansas, and the Kansas fans upheld their end of the bargain in the second game. When it was all over, one of the Kansas fans turned to me and said, "That was fun! See you Monday night!"

For the championship game, we all cheered for our respective teams, but it was all positive, nothing nasty or confrontational. You have to remember, Kansas wasn't even supposed to be there. They were just a couple years removed from the probation that Larry Brown had saddled the program with as he skipped out of town. Roy Williams had brought the program back to respectability, but they weren't supposed to make the Final Four in 1991. They were the #3 seed in the Southeast Region. They squeaked by a tough New Orleans team in the first round by a score of 55-49, then beat a pretty good Pittsburgh team 77-66 in the second round. Then they really got going in the regionals, upsetting #2 seed Indiana (83-65) and #1 seed Arkansas (93-81), which had just been in the Final Four the previous year and returned most of that team for the 1990-91 season. So the Kansas fans were ecstatic to be back in the Final Four. They were some of the warmest and most gracious and knowledgeable fans I've ever met -- not just the ones who sat neat me in the Hoosier Dome, but also the ones we met out and around Indianapolis over the whole weekend.

Edouble
03-29-2017, 02:27 PM
OK, I slightly misremembered the sequence of events in this game. Duke was actually clinging to a two-point lead when Langdon hit the big three-pointer, with just under a minute left.

Here's the video of the final minute of that game:

https://youtu.be/Iu2HQZFgLpU?t=4861

A truly incredible game. Throaty wrote some beautiful prose a few years back, describing the last few sequences. I really wish that he would repost that here, as it was some of the finest writing I have read in the many years I have been reading these forums.

JNort
03-29-2017, 03:08 PM

This right here for me as well.

Also would like to add in the Rivers for 3 shot only because that day on the sports radio show UNC fans kept calling in saying how bad they would beat us and that we had no chance... the show hosts for the most part agreed. Well no Duke fans were calling in to discuss the game so i took it upon myself to call in and promptly say i thought we would win because we would drain a ton of 3s and UNC had nobody who could stay with Austin. How right I was.

If I had to choose "1" more loss I would say every loss that ended UNCs season and losing in the NIT in particular

ipatent
03-29-2017, 03:29 PM
Weber State, along with a number of losses to Duke.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2017, 03:31 PM
My favorite UNC loss is coming up this Monday when they get whooped by South Carolina.

royalblue
03-29-2017, 05:00 PM
My favorite UNC loss is coming up this Monday when they get whooped by South Carolina.

I can not pull for uncch so Go Ducks! but if both Carolina's
Win I would love to see another finish like the 1971 ACC tourney final. I will be in "the valley of
the sun" hoping for the best
Any
Body but the
Cheaters

brevity
03-29-2017, 05:14 PM
Weber State, along with a number of losses to Duke.

You were in Key Arena in Seattle to witness that? Sporks riding on your answer.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2017, 05:22 PM
You were in Key Arena in Seattle to witness that? Sporks riding on your answer.

If I remember correctly, the next week's SI had a picture of Darrin Hamm yamming one down on the cover.

For the whippersnappers, a "cover" is what "magazines" used to have.

Herbie
03-29-2017, 05:23 PM
During a February night of my sophomore year, I had the good fortune of being in a bar on Franklin Street (He's Not Here, maybe?) watching the great Len Bias singlehandedly dismantle the Holes. The play of the night was Bias hitting a jumper, then running to the baseline to steal an inbounds pass and do a reverse jam in the face of a stunned Kenny Smith.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi3Pyv8s5p8

The silence in the bar at the buzzer was beautiful...of course, until our group of Dukies began making noise.

What a great memory. Here's another fan's memory of this game:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/scocca/2011/02/20/len_bias_in_chapel_hill_february_20_1986.html

Indoor66
03-29-2017, 05:32 PM
The year of the Bird!

BluDvlsN1
03-29-2017, 09:59 PM
The 2012 above #38 in this thread was magical..

Beating unc at Cameron was beyond description the Team and the Crazies
were in concert, and they could hear it in Raleigh..

Beat unc 92-90 OT
Justise was served..

Only a couple of pre game videos to share.

The rest was too exciting to video, ;)

IMG_2746.MOV / 70MB of 70MB

IMG_2749.MOV / 69MB of 69MB

and I digress a tad with this..Because Tyus was key in this
win as was Quinn Jah and Amile.

...and in the end Banner #5 and
Mr. Stones being prophetic as a high school senior
texting K after an early loss in the tournament
the previous year..

That won't happen next year Coach! :cool:
or words to that effect.

http://www.businessinsider.com/tyus-jones-text-message-to-mike-krzyzewski-2015-4

The Original pre game video links did not work, apologies.

These should work :rolleyes:
https://vimeo.com/210525598

https://vimeo.com/210525168

egr88
03-30-2017, 11:44 AM
Senior Day 1981 Duke 66 UNC 65. Banks hits shot at buzzer to send game into OT. The Dope shot printed up bumper stickers with the final score I think.

I was 14 and had almost the same view that they show on TV. I still get chills watching this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV1B2Bp0EIg

Tom B.
03-30-2017, 02:54 PM
If I remember correctly, the next week's SI had a picture of Darrin Hamm yamming one down on the cover.

For the whippersnappers, a "cover" is what "magazines" used to have.

You're confusing two different games.

Weber State's upset win over Carolina was in the first round of the 1999 Tournament.

The backboard-shattering dunk by Darvin Ham occurred in Texas Tech's second-round win over North Carolina in the 1996 Tournament. That result actually wasn't an upset -- Texas Tech was the #3 seed, and Carolina was the #6 seed.

Here's video of Ham's dunk:

https://youtu.be/YpLPU9leGq8?t=1183

And here's the SI cover:

Speaking of SI covers, here's another favorite of mine:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 03:35 PM
You're confusing two different games.

Weber State's upset win over Carolina was in the first round of the 1999 Tournament.

The backboard-shattering dunk by Darvin Ham occurred in Texas Tech's second-round win over North Carolina in the 1996 Tournament. That result actually wasn't an upset -- Texas Tech was the #3 seed, and Carolina was the #6 seed.

Here's video of Ham's dunk:

https://youtu.be/YpLPU9leGq8?t=1183

And here's the SI cover:

Ah, yes. Can't have too many embarrassing UNC SI covers...

Tripping William
03-30-2017, 04:09 PM

With DES whining about that oh-so-"dirty" #24 (http://articles.dailypress.com/1994-03-21/sports/9403210120_1_north-carolina-s-brian-reese-unc-s-jerry-stackhouse-foul). On paper, that group of Heels should have been Dean's greatest team ever.

Tom B.
03-31-2017, 12:55 PM
With DES whining about that oh-so-"dirty" #24 (http://articles.dailypress.com/1994-03-21/sports/9403210120_1_north-carolina-s-brian-reese-unc-s-jerry-stackhouse-foul). On paper, that group of Heels should have been Dean's greatest team ever.

Yep. They were the defending national champs, returned everyone of consequence except George Lynch, and added Stackhouse, Wallace, and McInnis. They should've been a juggernaut, but had legendarily bad chemistry, and it caught up to them.

Devilwin
03-31-2017, 02:11 PM
So many great ones, but I am going football. Renfrey to Crowder for the win just a few seasons ago.

DukieInKansas
03-31-2017, 02:55 PM
So many great ones, but I am going football. Renfrey to Crowder for the win just a few seasons ago.

That was a sweet one.

I have to go with "The Next One" at this point in time. May it come sooner rather than later. :D

Better yet - "The Season Ending One". :D

Natty_B
03-31-2017, 03:04 PM
Yep. They were the defending national champs, returned everyone of consequence except George Lynch, and added Stackhouse, Wallace, and McInnis. They should've been a juggernaut, but had legendarily bad chemistry, and it caught up to them.

I was at this game at the old, and always decrepit, Capital Centre and can confirm it was a glorious moment. I spent most of the game yelling at Montross that he was headed for the CBA (I was an obnoxious teenager at the time but I regret NOTHING!!). And in my recollection even though UNC had a bumpy season, relative to the staggering amount of talent on that squad, they had emerged as the Tourney fave which made that loss all the better. And then Duke making the final game - all fantastic. If only Tony Lang's fingernails were a bit longer.

royalblue
04-01-2017, 05:02 PM
I hope it's Today or Monday

superdave
04-01-2017, 05:05 PM
I hope it's Today or Monday

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Oy6DwHAi70

Dukehky
04-01-2017, 05:07 PM
My favorite UNC loss is the next one.

-jk
04-01-2017, 05:39 PM
I cherish every Duke victory over unc I witness, in person or from afar. There're many flavors, and all of them delicious...

-jk

Indoor66
04-01-2017, 05:43 PM
The best one is always the NEXT ONE.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-01-2017, 09:01 PM
Tonight?

em0526
04-01-2017, 09:24 PM
"Dad - what was more miraculous? Luke Maye's shot against Kentucky or the fact that a North Carolina player went to class?"