PDA

View Full Version : Speculating On Next Years ACC Teams, Rosters, Strength, etc

CDu
03-22-2017, 10:27 PM
If Jackson leaves UNC then Kennedy Meeks and I. Hicks and Nate Britt all graduate... That leaves Joel Berry, Theo Pinson, Seventh Woods, Kenny Wjilliams, Tony Bradley, Luke Maye - did I miss anyone that is returning for them??

Here is the expected rotation as of now if Jackson leaves:
PG: Berry, Woods
SG: Felton (freshman), Williams
SF: Pinson, Robinson
PF: Maye, Huffman (freshman)
C: Bradley, Manley (freshman)

Huffman and Manley are lower-tier "program guys." The frontcourt is going to be thin on talent and experience. As of now, they appear to only be pursuing Kevin Knox (a combo forward). Though they may go the grad transfer route for another big.

FerryFor50
03-22-2017, 11:00 PM
This was almost absolutely the answer. Some of our fans are kind of jumping to conclusions that Shayok's transfer means redshirt DeAndre Hunter must really be looking great.

More likely, Shayok saw Jerome and Guy moving ahead of him in the rotation, with Hall already solidly in front. Competition from Thompson as well (and Hunter joining the fray next year may be a minor factor). Just a little too much of a squeeze for his taste, I believe. I think anything short of MASSIVE offseason improvement probably would have left him as 7th/8th man and likely a role player. Probably wants to move to a system he feels he can be one of the top options for. He definitely has a knack for scoring, which we need, but his preferred shot is the contested long 2 - a shot I loathe. He's a good kid though, and if he did graduate in 3 years, a good student too. Best of luck to him (and Reuter, who could really flourish in a minor conference where he's not totally outmatched physically).

I'd take Shayok in a minute. Great length, solid D, can knock down shots. He was UVA's only offensive weapon in their NCAA loss.

Grad transfer, eh? Hmmmm.... 😛

gam7
03-22-2017, 11:14 PM
I'd take Shayok in a minute.

I might take him in a minute and 45 seconds.

Edouble
03-22-2017, 11:36 PM
I'd take Shayok in a minute. Great length, solid D, can knock down shots. He was UVA's only offensive weapon in their NCAA loss.

Grad transfer, eh? Hmmmm... ��

I doubt he would come. I don't think Duke would be a better situation for him than Virginia, and honestly, he would spend a year on the pine in Durham.

And he had 7 points on 2-9 shooting, with 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 0 assists in the 'Hoos NCAA loss to Florida. He had a good offensive performance in the game prior against UNC-W.

Olympic Fan
03-23-2017, 01:12 AM

Huffman and Manley are lower-tier "program guys." The frontcourt is going to be thin on talent and experience. As of now, they appear to only be pursuing Kevin Knox (a combo forward). Though they may go the grad transfer route for another big.

And don't forget, the NBA guys are very interested in Bradley ... Chad Ford projects him going 15-20 in the first round if he declares.

Of course, he seems to be one of those talented freshmen bigs that Roy tries so hard to hide (such as Davis, McAdoo). I would be surprised if he goes, but it's no impossible.

Huffman is a four-star C prospect and Manley is a three-star C.

And your list leaves off Andrew Platek, a four-star shooting guard from NY.

CDu
03-23-2017, 07:27 AM
And don't forget, the NBA guys are very interested in Bradley ... Chad Ford projects him going 15-20 in the first round if he declares.

Of course, he seems to be one of those talented freshmen bigs that Roy tries so hard to hide (such as Davis, McAdoo). I would be surprised if he goes, but it's no impossible.

Huffman is a four-star C prospect and Manley is a three-star C.

And your list leaves off Andrew Platek, a four-star shooting guard from NY.

Most of the recruiting services have Huffman and Platek as 3-star guys rated outside of the top-100. Only ESPN seems to have them as 4-star guys. ESPN seems especially generous in their star ratings, going into the 30s per position as 4-star. ESPN has Huffman as the #25 C, Manley as the #43 C, and Platek as the #36 SG.

I only listed Manley and Huffman because they would seemingly have to play given the lack of depth. I can't imagine Platek cracking the rotation as a freshman.

Spanarkel
03-23-2017, 08:14 AM
Most of the recruiting services have Huffman and Platek as 3-star guys rated outside of the top-100. Only ESPN seems to have them as 4-star guys. ESPN seems especially generous in their star ratings, going into the 30s per position as 4-star. ESPN has Huffman as the #25 C, Manley as the #43 C, and Platek as the #36 SG.

I only listed Manley and Huffman because they would seemingly have to play given the lack of depth. I can't imagine Platek cracking the rotation as a freshman.

Let's all rejoice tomorrow night when 3-star guard Kamar Baldwin of Butler helps to contain Joel Berry and crew.

lotusland
03-23-2017, 08:39 AM
It's too bad the other thread was hijacked because posting updates in both is the worst...

Per Evan Daniels and multiple sources, John Collins will test the high seas without hiring an agent.

Also, per Quick Rick Pitino, Deng Adel, Jaylen Johnson, & Donovan Mitchell will test the waters without an agent.

If Louisville doesn't lose any of those guys- especially Mitchell and Adel, they have to be the favorites coming out of the ACC next year

gofurman
03-23-2017, 09:13 AM

PG: Joel Berry, Seventh Woods
SG: Felton (freshman rated 91), Kenny Williams, ... Platek (freshman rated 80)
SF: Theo Pinson, ... Brandon Robinson (less than 10 minutes this year)
PF: Luke Maye, .... Huffman (freshman rated 81 )
C: Tony Bradley, .... Manley (freshman rated 77),

UNC 2017 recruits as of now -
Jalek Felton SG Signed Grade-91
Brandon Huffman C Signed Grade-81
Andrew Platek SG Signed Grade-80
Sterling Manley C Signed Grade-77

The key I see them missing (in addition to some quality frontcourt depth) is Shooting. JJackson has been the answer this year with Berry. If Felton takes a while to deliver that leaves them with just Berry. Hard to run a team and be the primary 3 shooter. The UNC teams that don't shoot the 3 well are ones I like...

As someone else said - As of now, they appear to only be pursuing Kevin Knox (a combo forward). Though they may go the grad transfer route for another big. That would change things. I hope the roster stays as is and Jackson leaves. I think that's a thin UNC squad

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2017, 10:07 AM

In fairness, Luke Maye scored more this year than Giles, Bolden, and DeLaurier combined. A lot of that is on injuries and Coach K's inability to play a bench, but it's kind of a crazy stat. Sigh...

I hope next year we see UNC as a threat unlike last year and this year. Half the talent, much better results. Let's give credit where credit is due.

CDu
03-23-2017, 10:22 AM
In fairness, Luke Maye scored more this year than Giles, Bolden, and Jeter combined. A lot of that is on injuries and Coach K's inability to play a bench, but it's kind of a crazy stat. Sigh...

I hope next year we see UNC as a threat unlike last year and this year. Half the talent, much better results. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Hey, I have been firmly on the bandwagon of "UNC will be good to really good next year" each of the last few offseasons. But that was in large part due to them having a bunch of veteran (junior/senior), highly-recruited returning players. That well has started to run a bit dry.

The last few years, they've been starting mostly juniors and seniors and mostly guys in the top-50 in their recruiting rankings:

2015 lineup: PG Paige (JR, top-30 recruit), SG Jackson (freshman, top-10 recruit), SF Tokoto (JR, top-60 recruit), PF Johnson (JR, top-40 recruit), C Meeks (SO, top-60 recruit), backups Hicks (SO, top-10 recruit), Pinson (FR, top-20 recruit), Britt (SO, top-100 recruit), Berry (FR, top-30 recruit), James (JR, top-60 recruit)

2016 lineup: PG Paige (SR, top-30 recruit), SG Berry (SO, top-30 recruit), SF Jackson (SO, top-10 recruit), PF Johnson (SR, top-40 recruit), C Meeks (JR, top-60 recruit), backups Hicks (JR, top-10 recruit), Pinson (SO, top-20 recruit), Britt (JR, top-100 recruit), James (SR, top-60 recruit), Maye (FR, top-100 recruit)

2017 lineup: PG Berry (JR, top-30 recruit), SG Williams (SO, top-100 recruit), SF Jackson (JR, top-10 recruit), PF Hicks (SR, top-10 recruit), C Meeks (SR, top-60 recruit), Pinson (JR, top-20 recruit), Britt (SR, top-100 recruit), Bradley (FR, top-30 recruit), Maye (FR, top-100 recruit), Woods (FR, top-50 recruit), Robinson (FR, top-100 recruit)

In each of the previous 3 years, they started at least 3 junior/seniors and all top-60 recruits. And their bench was manned largely by top-60 recruits. The past two years, they were especially veteran and talented.

They are now being forced to play much younger AND less talented. So unless they get lucky with either Jackson or Knox and add a grad transfer big man, I think they'll not be as good next year as they have been the past two years. I'll wait to see what the rest of the recruiting season brings them. But this might be the year that they do finally drop off. Eventually, recruiting misses in 2015 and 2016 are going to catch up.

Spanarkel
03-23-2017, 10:26 AM
In fairness, Luke Maye scored more this year than Giles, Bolden, and DeLaurier combined. A lot of that is on injuries and Coach K's inability to play a bench, but it's kind of a crazy stat. Sigh...

Are you saying the '16-'17 UNC squad has half the talent as the '16-'17 Duke team?

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Hey, I have been firmly on the bandwagon of "UNC will be good to really good next year" each of the last few offseasons. But that was in large part due to them having a bunch of veteran (junior/senior), highly-recruited returning players. That well has started to run a bit dry.

The last few years, they've been starting mostly juniors and seniors and mostly guys in the top-50 in their recruiting rankings:

2015 lineup: PG Paige (JR, top-30 recruit), SG Jackson (freshman, top-10 recruit), SF Tokoto (JR, top-60 recruit), PF Johnson (JR, top-40 recruit), C Meeks (SO, top-60 recruit), backups Hicks (SO, top-10 recruit), Pinson (FR, top-20 recruit), Britt (SO, top-100 recruit), Berry (FR, top-30 recruit), James (JR, top-60 recruit)

2016 lineup: PG Paige (SR, top-30 recruit), SG Berry (SO, top-30 recruit), SF Jackson (SO, top-10 recruit), PF Johnson (SR, top-40 recruit), C Meeks (JR, top-60 recruit), backups Hicks (JR, top-10 recruit), Pinson (SO, top-20 recruit), Britt (JR, top-100 recruit), James (SR, top-60 recruit), Maye (FR, top-100 recruit)

2017 lineup: PG Berry (JR, top-30 recruit), SG Williams (SO, top-100 recruit), SF Jackson (JR, top-10 recruit), PF Hicks (SR, top-10 recruit), C Meeks (SR, top-60 recruit), Pinson (JR, top-20 recruit), Britt (SR, top-100 recruit), Bradley (FR, top-30 recruit), Maye (FR, top-100 recruit), Woods (FR, top-50 recruit), Robinson (FR, top-100 recruit)

In each of the previous 3 years, they started at least 3 junior/seniors and all top-60 recruits. And their bench was manned largely by top-60 recruits. The past two years, they were especially veteran and talented.

They are now being forced to play much younger AND less talented. So unless they get lucky with either Jackson or Knox and add a grad transfer big man, I think they'll not be as good next year as they have been the past two years. I'll wait to see what the rest of the recruiting season brings them. But this might be the year that they do finally drop off. Eventually, recruiting misses in 2015 and 2016 are going to catch up.

Comment about UNC wasn't direct towards you (although I did reply to your post, so I understand the confusion).

I'm so sick of everyone commenting how UNC is overranked in the pre-season, how UNC unfairly won the ACC reg season because of an unbalanced schedule, how UNC will not perform well in the NCAA tournament, how Roy is overrated as a coach, how UNC sucks at recruiting, etc etc etc.

IMO, the only arguments you can legitimately make about UNC over the last two years is the academic scandal and the futility known as Nate Britt (that's more because of the backlash towards one UNC poster). Okay, the Nate Britt one is on me.

UNC today is Duke ten years ago: strong, developed, experienced talent who are tough and win regardless of their ability to recruit top 10 players.

So, I'll say it here and now: I think UNC will win the ACC reg season next year. Why? Cus if they do, I predicted it. And it they don't, then it makes me feel better.

gofurman
03-23-2017, 10:57 AM

FlyingDutch, I agree w you. I far prefer returners and developed players more than freshman (Look at how Luke and Amile were great this yr!!). . But a unc starting set of
Berry
Felton
Pinson
Maye
Bradley

Is far less intimidating than the past two yrs easily. This year it's Berry, **Justin Jackson, Pinson, **Meeks and **Hicks

So to,replace Jackson. w Felton (good but freshman) ... Meeks and Hicks w Maye and Bradley??? I know Bradkry and Berry and Maye will improve but I don't think it's close to the same level

I am being objective - I see the good job from Paige and Johnson ... to Berry and Jackson w Meeks and Hicks but next year I don't see the same talent. You can't keep recruiting guys rated in the second tier without it catching you after a few years. You can go a year or so and they have. Now all this is predicated on Jackson leaving

English
03-23-2017, 10:59 AM
...Rant about past UNC performance projections on DBR...

That's great--time to let it go and get back to the actual topic, which as surprising as it may be, isn't UNC's 2017-18 lineup.

Former Blue Devil turned pony, Semi Ojeleye has declared he will test the waters sans agent. Plenty more announcements coming.

CDu
03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
UNC today is Duke ten years ago: strong, developed, experienced talent who are tough and win regardless of their ability to recruit top 10 players.

UNC TODAY is Duke 10 years ago. UNC NEXT year is, potentially, not. That was my point.

They'll have two very good seniors (Berry and Pinson), one okay junior (Maye), one very good sophomore, two okay sophomores, a very good incoming freshman, and a few okay freshmen. That is very different than the makeup of the roster the past few years, which was littered with upper-tier recruits who were juniors and seniors.

Now, they may still address that. But as of now, that roster just isn't the same as previous rosters.

FerryFor50
03-23-2017, 12:05 PM
I doubt he would come. I don't think Duke would be a better situation for him than Virginia, and honestly, he would spend a year on the pine in Durham.

And he had 7 points on 2-9 shooting, with 1 rebound, 1 turnover, 0 assists in the 'Hoos NCAA loss to Florida. He had a good offensive performance in the game prior against UNC-W.

Ah yeah, that's right. Was getting the near miss against UNCW mixed with the UF loss.