PDA

View Full Version : Would you take Duval over this potential lineup? Or: How good is this kid?

scottdude8
03-23-2017, 06:20 PM
Everyone on this board has been talking up Trevon Duval a TON. I typically consider myself pretty up on the recruiting news, but to be honest I stopped following things after we got Trent and Carter thinking that would make up the blue chippers in our class.

Because of that I'm trying to get a handle on how good people think Duval could be. So I present to you the following hypothetical: would you prefer some amazing luck in NBA draft decisions that could leave us with a starting backcourt of Frank, Grayson and Luke (with Trent as a super 6 man), or do you think a backcourt of Duval, Frank and Trent would be better? Is Duvall that good, i.e. Tyus Jones program changer as a freshman good?

Curious to see what people think about this... the responses will definitely help focus my attention this next month. (Also, forgive the bad Dr. Strangelove reference in the title, haha).

Volunteer Duke
03-23-2017, 06:59 PM
I think Duval is a game changer.

I would not want a backcourt of Frank/Grayson/Luke/Trent. No true PG and a lack of defense would be killer.

kAzE
03-23-2017, 07:00 PM
He's definitely NOT Tyus Jones. Duval is a 6'3" 190-ish pound power guard with long arms (6'8" wingspan). From what I have seen of him (basically YouTube videos), he's an unbelievable athlete, on the level of Derrick Rose. He has the speed, quickness, and leaping ability to get in to the paint, and the power to finish at (and often times, above) the rim. Any mixtape you find will undoubtedly feature many, many Tre Duval dunks.

His ball handling is very good, and he should be able to break defenders down off the dribble at times to create offense. He seems to be a very aggressive player. However, I expect him to be more of a scoring/attacking lead guard, rather than a guy who looks to set others up, based on scouting reports that I've read.

I don't think his jump shot is anything special. He's probably adequate there, but he won't be hitting a ton of 3s off the dribble. I think Derrick Rose is a pretty fair comparison. He will definitely start from day 1 if he commits to Duke and should be an impact player immediately. He has the look of a OAD.

Troublemaker
03-23-2017, 07:05 PM
Tyus was maybe a unicorn. Such a steady, poised, clutch performer as a freshman. I don't know if we should ever expect someone to be like Tyus.

But Duval can be himself. He's much more athletic than Tyus, also has great court vision, is an elite dribbler, but can't shoot as well.

kAzE
03-23-2017, 07:13 PM
I think Duval is a game changer.

I would not want a backcourt of Frank/Grayson/Luke/Trent. No true PG and a lack of defense would be killer.

Guys typically get better at defense the older they get, and the longer they've been with Duke. I would expect all 3 of those guys to improve on defense next year. Freshmen are typically not good defenders. We don't know if Duval can defend at this level or not next year.

-bdbd
03-23-2017, 07:15 PM
I think that your SECOND scenario -- a backcourt of Duval, Frank and Trent -- is probably going to be closer to reality.

But my prediction is a hybrid of sorts, as I expect we'll lose just one on Allen or Kennard. There would then be four of these guys - Duval (PG)), Jackson (PG/SG), Trent (SG/SW) and Kennard/Allen (SW/SG) - pushing for playing time at three positions.

Not a bad thing at all!

Bluegrassdevil1
03-23-2017, 08:49 PM
Speaking only for myself, I saw Duval's IMG squad against Spire Institute, and speaking from a purely basketball sense, the kid can play SOME FLIPPING BASKETBALL.

I have a myriad of reasons for wanting certain elements of Duke basketball to be different in '17-'18, but from a specific element of having someone that can get to the basket, and quite literally give Jackson and (should he return) Kennard, an ETERNITY to take an open jumper, then Duval is absolutely the answer.

A pick and roll between Duval and Carter would be potentially AWESOME.

Duval plays like Rose and Wall (I am not saying he is currently at their level), and ACC defenses will seem a great deal of time on their heels chasing that kiddo up and down the court.

Indoor66
03-23-2017, 08:54 PM
The Savior Syndrome is alive and well.

Troublemaker
03-23-2017, 09:05 PM
A pick and roll between Duval and Carter would be potentially AWESOME.

That's what I'm looking the most forward to as well. A guard that can hit the roll man(!), or split it and drive hard and finish.

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2017, 09:07 PM
That's what I'm looking the most forward to as well. A guard that can hit the roll man(!), or split it and drive hard and finish.

You mean easy buckets? How refreshing.

proelitedota
03-23-2017, 09:12 PM
If he is anything like Derrick Rose, hell miss the season with a foot injury given our recent luck.

mr. synellinden
03-23-2017, 10:16 PM
If he is anything like Derrick Rose, hell miss the season with a foot injury given our recent luck.

It's over.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2017, 12:08 AM
It's over.

Yup. The guy who hasn't signed yet, but will, probably won't even suit up.

Begun, the offseason has.

proelitedota
03-24-2017, 12:28 AM
Yup. The guy who hasn't signed yet, but will, probably won't even suit up.

Begun, the offseason has.

YES. Time for Scheyer's podcasts!