PDA

View Full Version : NBA and PB&J

luburch
03-23-2017, 07:42 AM
This story (http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/presents18931717/the-nba-secret-addiction), on NBA player's obsession with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, is fascinating to me. Even has a nice Brandon Ingram bit at the end. I recommend that everyone takes ten minutes to read this fun piece.

I can't remember the last time I had a PB&J. Six months maybe? Thanks to the story, I'm craving one. I normally prefer peanut butter and banana sandwich. My question for my fellow DBR members is this: How do you like your PB&J?

For me? Toasted wheat bread, creamy peanut butter on both sides, strawberry jelly, and uncut. Occasionally a little Nutella to spice things up.

davekay1971
03-23-2017, 08:27 AM
Who wouldn't have an obsession with the PB&J? I mean, honestly...it's perfect. The mix of sweetness with buttery saltiness. The ease of making it. Toasted vs non-toasted. Crusts on vs crusts off. Cut in triangles or in half or eaten uncut. So much variety. Do you go with generic Welch's concord grape? With a higher end grape jelly? Mix it up with blackberry jam or strawberry jam? Chunky vs smooth peanut butter?

Plus, its the only sandwich my 8 year old will consistently eat in her school lunch, so there's that.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2017, 08:50 AM
Smooth peanut butter is an abomination against nature and should be outlawed.

Okay, perhaps that is a tad strong. Feeling cranky this morning. But still.

Lightly-toasted bread, chunky peanut butter (preferably one that you have to stir to mix the oils and the gunk), preserves. Often open-faced. Big and cold glass of 2% milk.

I never watch the NBA, so nothing to add there.

pfrduke
03-23-2017, 09:02 AM
As a child, for essentially 6 straight years I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich every day for lunch. Smooth peanut butter, crusts on, diagonally cut (the only true way to cut a sandwich). Haven't had one since I was 12 or 13, and probably haven't had a more traditional PB&J in even longer.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2017, 09:10 AM
As a child, for essentially 6 straight years I had a peanut butter and honey sandwich every day for lunch. Smooth peanut butter, crusts on, diagonally cut (the only true way to cut a sandwich). Haven't had one since I was 12 or 13, and probably haven't had a more traditional PB&J in even longer.

Absolutely agree.

YmoBeThere
03-23-2017, 09:16 AM
Grape jelly and Nutella is the abomination...

Yes, I'm cranky too. Sitting at the DMV.

devildeac
03-23-2017, 09:34 AM
Smooth peanut butter is an abomination against nature and should be outlawed.

Okay, perhaps that is a tad strong. Feeling cranky this morning. But still.

Lightly-toasted bread, chunky peanut butter (preferably one that you have to stir to mix the oils and the gunk), preserves. Often open-faced. Big and cold glass of 2% milk.

I never watch the NBA, so nothing to add there.

So's unc and we see how that's going. :mad:

devildeac
03-23-2017, 09:43 AM
1. Crunchy spread thickly on one or both sides of untoasted bread.
2. 100% whole wheat or whole grain breads.
3. Grape, strawberry or raspberry jelly or jam. 100% fruit.
4. Diet cherry coke or pepsi (it's a weakness:o)-might have a glass of 1% milk instead.
5. Uncut

Variations:

1. Thickly sliced banana and generously drizzled honey instead of jelly/jam-this sandwich is NOT fried, nor is there any marshmallow or chocolate on it.

I have not conjured up any beer pairings w/PB&J. Yet.

Wow, suddenly hungry.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2017, 10:16 AM
1. Crunchy spread thickly on one or both sides of untoasted bread.
2. 100% whole wheat or whole grain breads.
3. Grape, strawberry or raspberry jelly or jam. 100% fruit.
4. Diet cherry coke or pepsi (it's a weakness:o)-might have a glass of 1% milk instead.
5. Uncut

Variations:

1. Thickly sliced banana and generously drizzled honey instead of jelly/jam-this sandwich is NOT fried, nor is there any marshmallow or chocolate on it.

Wow, suddenly hungry.

Chocolate stout. Just sayin'

devildeac
03-23-2017, 10:32 AM
Chocolate stout. Just sayin'

I guess the Terrapin Liquid Bliss and/or the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus might work. Hmm...

OldPhiKap
03-23-2017, 10:58 AM
I guess the Terrapin Liquid Bliss and/or the DuClaw Sweet Baby Jesus might work. Hmm...

With a PB&J, the key to the wine paring is to match the jelly (or honey or banana) because the peanut butter pairs with about everything. Probably want to avoid the heavy reds except with a rich, tart berry.

Some syrah's are essentially grape jam anyway, but I would avoid that as a pairing in most instances for the reason stated above.

Having said all of that, if there was one meal that was designed for cold cold milk, it's a PB&J.

devildeac
03-23-2017, 11:12 AM
With a PB&J, the key to the wine paring is to match the jelly (or honey or banana) because the peanut butter pairs with about everything. Probably want to avoid the heavy reds except with a rich, tart berry.

Some syrah's are essentially grape jam anyway, but I would avoid that as a pairing in most instances for the reason stated above.

Having said all of that, if there was one meal that was designed for cold cold milk, it's a PB&J.

I'm shocked there's no wine thread, unless of course we're talking about attendees at the nose dome. :rolleyes:

And, I guess, having several threads evolve into beer discussions is better than having them evolve into pre-season MPG or post-season transfer/leaving threads. :rolleyes::o

luburch
03-23-2017, 11:29 AM

I'm assuming you don't count Oreos or other cookies as a meal? :)

Nice cold glass of chocolate milk with breakfast is fantastic. Is it lunch time yet...?

devildeac
03-23-2017, 11:33 AM
I'm assuming you don't count Oreos or other cookies as a meal? :)

Nice cold glass of chocolate milk with breakfast is fantastic. Is it lunch time yet...?

Close enough?

CrazyNotCrazie
03-23-2017, 11:38 AM
My best efforts at "peanut butter and jelly" was one of my first words, and I ate it religiously throughout my childhood.

- Grape jelly
- smooth peanut butter
- spread the jelly on one side and peanut butter on the other, then merge
- cut exactly in half vertically, so it is two mirror images
- soft bread, not toasted or crunchy

My children now have to make due with sunbutter and jelly due to allergy concerns at their schools, but I am proud to have passed on my enthusiasm to them. They enjoy round sandwich thins cut in quarters.

OldPhiKap
03-23-2017, 11:53 AM
This thread is slowly killing me, btw. In my quest to lose weight, I have forsaken bread, sugars, fats and alcohol for the last 60 days. (Almonds are my nut of choice during this period).

Lost 25 pounds, but would step over a host of wailing children right now for a PB&J. Tougher to give up, frankly, than beer and wine.

Forgot about Oreos and milk -- I'd be lying if I said that I have not considered that to be a full and complete meal in the past!

jacone21
03-23-2017, 02:57 PM
I gotta go with Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter. Ingredients: Peanuts, salt.

I usually have mine on toasted bread along with homemade peach marmalade or muscadine jelly that my wife and I make fresh with Georgia peaches and muscadines every summer.

If you ever ran the woods as a kid, searching for and eating wild muscadines, you know that unique, intense flavor. Well... let's just say that's some good jelly.

Snack time!

summerwind03
03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
My husband calls PB&Js "P&Js". Drives me crazy! Where's the B?!?

rasputin
03-23-2017, 04:39 PM

Clara Peller can help you with that.

BD80
03-23-2017, 05:58 PM
This thread is slowly killing me, btw. In my quest to lose weight, I have forsaken bread, sugars, fats and alcohol for the last 60 days. ...

To live longer, or just to make it seem longer?

Congrats on the progress - maybe there's a celery stalk with some natural almond butter out there for you!

rasputin
03-23-2017, 06:10 PM

Congrats on the progress - maybe there's a celery stalk with some natural almond butter out there for you!

Paging Dunbar.

weezie
03-23-2017, 07:33 PM
PB, crunchy or smooth with potato chips or pretzels smashed in between. Never been a big grape jelly fan.

And OPK, good for you. Ok, go ahead and post a picture of your skinny self inside one leg of your old fat pants. I'll bet your family is proud of you...even if secretly tired of your dedication to your diet :cool:

Indoor66
03-23-2017, 07:47 PM

Does he eat them while dressed for bed? 😎

OldPhiKap
03-23-2017, 08:19 PM

To avoid the need for an entire new wardrobe.

nmduke2001
03-23-2017, 10:27 PM
A little over a year ago, I found out I was allergic to nickel (ingested not contact). Most everything has some nickel in it, but peanuts have a lot. I haven't had a PB&J since. It sucks. I love smooth peanut butter and strawberry jam.

Also, peanut butter and honey on a warm flour tortilla is amazing.

brevity
03-23-2017, 10:40 PM
Hotel continental breakfast: single-serve peanut butter and single-serve strawberry jelly on a hot toasted bagel. The way the peanut butter melts and fills the cracks and crevices of the bagel. Drippy and messy. Better than any PB&J that I've ever had between two slices of bread.

I can only imagine it would be even better with a more choice brand of peanut butter at home, but allergy issues keep the kitchen nut-free. So the PB&J bagel is more of a travel treat.

cato
03-24-2017, 12:59 AM

In my studied opinion, PB&J and beer do not go well together.

I wonder if some stouts would work? But I'm a dedicated ale drinker, and peanut butter just doesn't work with ale.

devildeac
03-24-2017, 07:11 AM

I wonder if some stouts would work? But I'm a dedicated ale drinker, and peanut butter just doesn't work with ale.

OPK thought a stout would work, too. Now there are 2 learned suggestion put forward with that idea. Hmmm...

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 09:27 AM
OPK thought a stout would work, too. Now there are 2 learned suggestion put forward with that idea. Hmmm...

Well, I am a man of letters.

Reilly
03-24-2017, 09:38 AM
... diagonally cut (the only true way to cut a sandwich) ...

I hit on what I'm about to tell you later in life, but it's become important to me: I don't like diagonally cut if you mean corner to corner, and I also don't like the straight up-and-down-perfectly-parallel-to-the-side-edge cut, either. Rather, the optimal is a modified diagonal. Start at midline point on the top and move left about 60%-70% of the way towards the far left edge and start there, and then finish your cut on the bottom, about 70% of the way toward the right edge. Maybe it's just in my mind, but I feel it provides the optimal angle for biting for every bite. There's no "too small" edge like the point of a "true diagonal" cut. Yet there are angles to get at the sandwich half, unlike with the "straight half" cut. The modified diagonal is sort of like Sinatra wearing his hat at just a bit of an angle, but not too much.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 09:54 AM
I hit on what I'm about to tell you later in life, but it's become important to me: I don't like diagonally cut if you mean corner to corner, and I also don't like the straight up-and-down-perfectly-parallel-to-the-side-edge cut, either. Rather, the optimal is a modified diagonal. Start at midline point on the top and move left about 60%-70% of the way towards the far left edge and start there, and then finish your cut on the bottom, about 70% of the way toward the right edge. Maybe it's just in my mind, but I feel it provides the optimal angle for biting for every bite. There's no "too small" edge like the point of a "true diagonal" cut. Yet there are angles to get at the sandwich half, unlike with the "straight half" cut. The modified diagonal is sort of like Sinatra wearing his hat at just a bit of an angle, but not too much.

I'm not kidding when I say this -- posts like this are why I love DBR. This is genius. I will begin to implement once bread returns to the line-up! (C'mon, Easter . . . .)

YmoBeThere
03-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Will the location of the cut vary with mouth size?

camion
03-24-2017, 11:36 AM
I go with crunchy PB & strawberry (well anything but grape) J on toast. I always tear the bread if I don't toast it. :(

Actually I prefer PB&M to PB&J. It's like a PB and banana sandwich without the banana. :)

Reilly
03-24-2017, 12:19 PM
Will the location of the cut vary with mouth size?

Yes, I believe it would. Mary Tyler Moore and Helena Bonham Carter presumably would need different optimal angle sizes.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 01:00 PM
I go with crunchy PB & strawberry (well anything but grape) J on toast. I always tear the bread if I don't toast it. :(

Actually I prefer PB&M to PB&J. It's like a PB and banana sandwich without the banana. :)

Since you're from SC, I assume the "M" is mustard?

(not to tangle two different threads on two different boards, but I've already launched my broadsided attack against creamy peanut butter over there so . . . .)

BD80
03-24-2017, 01:23 PM

Perhaps if you front loaded the experience with beer and used the PBJ as more of a desert.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 01:31 PM
Not to nitpick, but this thread is pretty heavy on the PB&J and pretty light on the NBA.

Guess we know what this crowd likes more. (Myself included)

devildeac
03-24-2017, 01:43 PM

I'm not kidding when I say this -- posts like this are why I love DBR. This is genius. I will begin to implement once bread returns to the line-up! (C'mon, Easter . . . .)

http://i3.cpcache.com/product/1542388610/pb_j_puzzle.jpg?width=225&height=225&Filters=%5b%7b%22name%22%3a%22background%22%2c%22v alue%22%3a%22F2F2F2%22%2c%22sequence%22%3a2%7d%5d

The link is safe. It's a PB&J jigsaw puzzle:o. That's the only thought Reilly's post conjured up for me. Well, in addition to it's lunch time and I'm HONGRY!

camion
03-24-2017, 02:27 PM
Since you're from SC, I assume the "M" is mustard?

(not to tangle two different threads on two different boards, but I've already launched my broadsided attack against creamy peanut butter over there so . . . .)

Mayo.

I'm in SC, but I'm from NC.

I have grown to tolerate the mustard BBQ sauce, but if given a choice I'll go with one of the NC ones. My favorite sauce choice is from Smoking Stokes in Greenville, SC and is Cheerwine based. I mix it with their hot sauce about 50/50. Sadly the restaurant has closed, but the sauce recipe still exists.

Cheerwine BBQ Sauce (http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/58652/cheerwine-bbq-sauce)

And now back to back to PB and Mayonnaise.

weezie
03-24-2017, 04:18 PM
^^^A certain son-of-weezie adores the Cheerwine. Doesn't get to drink much of it anymore but this recipe will be in the rotation this summer, thanks!

weezie
03-24-2017, 04:21 PM
I hit on what I'm about to tell you later in life, but it's become important to me... The modified diagonal is sort of like Sinatra wearing his hat at just a bit of an angle, but not too much.

And then again, there's the old "cram the spoon into the jar and push it into your face" jauntiness. I like that one.

Indoor66
03-24-2017, 04:33 PM
well, i am a man of letters.

a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q e s t u v w x y z

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 04:40 PM
a b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q e s t u v w x y z

Did a pirate steal your Arrrrrrrrrr?

Indoor66
03-24-2017, 05:43 PM
Did a pirate steal your Arrrrrrrrrr?

You said that you were a man of letters....😂😎

jacone21
03-24-2017, 08:15 PM

Just tested this method with a piece of cheese toast. Not bad... not bad at all.

weezie
03-24-2017, 08:25 PM
jacone is really tearing it up tonight! Cheese toast in the house!

devildeac
03-24-2017, 09:33 PM
jacone is really tearing it up tonight! Cheese toast in the house!

Cheese toast for me tonight, too, accompanying a bowl of homemade chicken vegetable soup. Colby/cheddar blend, 12 grain bread, uncut. No mayo, banana, mustard or jelly:p. Two slices of bread remain. Thinking it's a PB&J lunch tomorrow.

moonpie23
03-24-2017, 10:03 PM
ok....my gift to you all...

when i was a kid, i HATED bananas...(still do) but when my mom was fixing PB and banana samiches, i was getting left out, so she invented the PB&P....PINEAPPLE....

i know it SOUNDS weird, but she used the pineapple circles instead of the banana .....

just try it....

note......she also made pineapple pudding instead of banana pudding.....it was awesome too...

brevity
03-25-2017, 12:15 AM
Hotel continental breakfast: single-serve peanut butter and single-serve strawberry jelly on a hot toasted bagel. The way the peanut butter melts and fills the cracks and crevices of the bagel. Drippy and messy. Better than any PB&J that I've ever had between two slices of bread.

Because of this thread and my above post in it, I ate a PB&J bagel this morning. I forgot to mention that the bagel should be wheat (whole or honey). You can do it with cinnamon raisin, but I don't think it improves the taste. Also, as you spread the peanut butter on its half of the bagel, use the butterknife to stab some grooves into the bagel half so that the peanut butter infuses the bagel and adds depth to it.

By the way, you should do the same thing with bagels and cream cheese. Just having an open-faced layer of bagel and a layer of fluffy spread on top makes no sense when you bite in. Integrate them.

YmoBeThere
03-25-2017, 10:15 AM
Thankfully(???), no one has linked to any of the various peanut butter and jelly songs...

JNort
03-25-2017, 05:42 PM
I've never had a Pb and j.....

Jelly is just so awful tasting to me, I don't want it in my mouth.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2017, 06:15 PM
I've never had a Pb and j....

Jelly is just so awful tasting to me, I don't want it in my mouth.

Get some good preserves of your favorite fruit. It will change your world.

JNort
03-25-2017, 08:05 PM
Get some good preserves of your favorite fruit. It will change your world.

Not a fan of any jelly or preserves. My dad and grandparents even made their own. I just don't like em.

OldPhiKap
03-25-2017, 08:21 PM
Not a fan of any jelly or preserves. My dad and grandparents even made their own. I just don't like em.

Ovaltine, perhaps?

weezie
03-25-2017, 09:04 PM
Ovaltine, perhaps?

Oh, here we go. I actually love Ovaltine. It's got to be some kind of midwestern thing.

YmoBeThere
03-25-2017, 10:49 PM
As long as no one talks about Vegemite...

OZZIE4DUKE
03-26-2017, 01:42 PM
I love PB&J, with either smooth or crunchy. Ex only liked amooth, SO likes crunchy. I'm happy either way. I've always liked Peter Pan best, Jif the least, and the SO buys Skippy. Whatever. When we have bagels in the house, I'll have it on one of those, ESPECIALLY the cinnamon raisin bagels. Usually have the bread (or bagel) toasted, but not toasted is fine as long as the bread is fresh. Like strawberry jam better than grape jelly, unless I'm in the mood for grape. Other flavors are OK too - SO makes her own preserves - peach, blueberry, strawberry and others, and they are all good!

I also like to put a slice of American Cheese, preferably Velveeta, in with the PB&J. :cool: Don't knock it if you haven't tried it. :rolleyes:

Let me end this post with this thought.....
GO TO HELL carolina, GO TO HELL! 9F!

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-26-2017, 01:43 PM
And now my gift to the board... grilled PB&J. Yes, grilled like a grilled cheese. Try orange marmalade with the PB. Also, almond butter and banana is a good combo. I only learned of this concept about a year ago and I have only made it three times b/c it's just too evil.

Reilly
03-26-2017, 04:13 PM
Difference between jelly, jam, marmalade, and others:

https://www.mrswages.com/the-difference-between-a-jelly-jam-chutney-marmalade-and-fruit-butter/

When my mom made it, we always called it "peach jelly." Maybe it was a jam? Probably jelly. I had the job of taking the peach slices and feeding them through the hand-cranked grinder with thick metal "blades" and the goop would push through the other side and into a bowl. The grinder had suction cups to stick to the countertop, but had to be affixed close enough to the edge because the crank handle hung down below the counter, and I'd invariably bang my knuckles into the counter's edge working the crank. The entire, huge kitchen would be overtaken with peaches. Lots of cooking or boiling, massive pots on the stove, big cups of sugar being poured in. This would be July or August, with the back door open. And then the memory of the following winter, with homemade biscuits fresh from the oven, with some butter and that jelly ... I hope my kids' memories of Indian takeout bring them equal warmth.

Indoor66
03-26-2017, 05:21 PM
Difference between jelly, jam, marmalade, and others:

https://www.mrswages.com/the-difference-between-a-jelly-jam-chutney-marmalade-and-fruit-butter/

When my mom made it, we always called it "peach jelly." Maybe it was a jam? Probably jelly. I had the job of taking the peach slices and feeding them through the hand-cranked grinder with thick metal "blades" and the goop would push through the other side and into a bowl. The grinder had suction cups to stick to the countertop, but had to be affixed close enough to the edge because the crank handle hung down below the counter, and I'd invariably bang my knuckles into the counter's edge working the crank. The entire, huge kitchen would be overtaken with peaches. Lots of cooking or boiling, massive pots on the stove, big cups of sugar being poured in. This would be July or August, with the back door open. And then the memory of the following winter, with homemade biscuits fresh from the oven, with some butter and that jelly ... I hope my kids' memories of Indian takeout bring them equal warmth.
Did you walk two miles to school - uphill both ways? 😂😋😎

weezie
03-26-2017, 08:37 PM
... I hope my kids' memories of Indian takeout bring them equal warmth.

A straight line begging for a laugh. But, out of respect for your hard working mother, and for the homemade biscuits, I will graciously stand down.

elvis14
03-28-2017, 05:05 PM
As a kid and a teenager I ate 1-3 PB&J's a day. As an adult, I eat a couple per week. At least once a week it's my dinner. Sometimes it's just a snack. I've experimented over the years but when it's all said and done a PB&J is simply creamy peanut butter and grape jelly on bread.

A few notes since there seems to be some confusion on this board. A PB&J is NEVER made with toasted bread. If you are toasting your bread, you might be making a sandwich of some sort, but not a PB&J. Same for Nutella or anything else other than peanut butter and grape jelly. Secondly it's peanut "butter", so a true PB&J is made with creamy Peanut Butter. Who would eat lumpy butter? Peanut Butter goes on one side, Jelly on the other. Spreading Jellly on top of PB screws it up somehow (I've tested this many many times over the years). If you have kids with small hands, by all means, cut their sandwich into kid sized pieces. If you are over the age of 13, you don't cut a PB&J, pick it up and an eat it.

Also note, that you have to be careful not to eat a good PB&J without a beverage of some sort. Sooner or later you'll have that one bite that needs to be washed down with something :)

brevity
03-28-2017, 06:48 PM
A few notes since there seems to be some confusion on this board. A PB&J is NEVER made with toasted bread. If you are toasting your bread, you might be making a sandwich of some sort, but not a PB&J. Same for Nutella or anything else other than peanut butter and grape jelly. Secondly it's peanut "butter", so a true PB&J is made with creamy Peanut Butter. Who would eat lumpy butter? Peanut Butter goes on one side, Jelly on the other. Spreading Jellly on top of PB screws it up somehow (I've tested this many many times over the years). If you have kids with small hands, by all means, cut their sandwich into kid sized pieces. If you are over the age of 13, you don't cut a PB&J, pick it up and an eat it.

I find it funny that you, elvis14, have such stringent requirements for a PB&J when the famous guy who shares your name enjoyed a variation of that theme (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich).

devildeac
03-28-2017, 09:44 PM
I find it funny that you, elvis14, have such stringent requirements for a PB&J when the famous guy who shares your name enjoyed a variation of that theme (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter,_banana_and_bacon_sandwich).

Shame on you for omitting this omitting this coronary bypass special also made famous by Elvis:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_Gold_Loaf

Reilly
03-28-2017, 10:02 PM
What are folks' thoughts about peanut butter and jelly sold in a single jar? Sort of striped. Haven't seen it in a while that I recall. Never bought it myself. Had a roommate who used to get the shivers just thinking about it, and he would rail against the concept.

YmoBeThere
03-28-2017, 10:42 PM
What are folks' thoughts about peanut butter and jelly sold in a single jar? Sort of striped. Haven't seen it in a while that I recall. Never bought it myself. Had a roommate who used to get the shivers just thinking about it, and he would rail against the concept.

An abomination...

OldPhiKap
03-29-2017, 07:37 AM

It was the beginning of the decline of our society. How damn lazy can you get?

Pre-cooked bacon, by contrast, is a handy time-saver.

luburch
03-29-2017, 07:50 AM
It was the beginning of the decline of our society. How damn lazy can you get?

Pre-cooked bacon, by contrast, is a handy time-saver.

Well, they also make pre-mixed cans of whisky and coke.

OldPhiKap
03-29-2017, 08:25 AM

And you KNOW that they must only use the finest whisky for that.

(Actually, was unaware of that product.)

YmoBeThere
03-29-2017, 08:29 AM

Yet another abomination...

elvis14
03-29-2017, 09:25 AM

I did laugh at myself some when posting that because I'm not a guy that's normally stringent at all (to each their own and what not). At the same time if he'd have lived a couple of more years, maybe I'd have been able to steer him towards a proper PB&J.

Shame on you for omitting this omitting this coronary bypass special also made famous by Elvis:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fool%27s_Gold_Loaf

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=7303&stc=1

LOL, there are lots of great sandwiches....that aren't a PB&J! At the same time, how'd that work out for my boy Elvis?

OldPhiKap
03-29-2017, 10:05 AM
LOL, there are lots of great sandwiches...that aren't a PB&J! At the same time, how'd that work out for my boy Elvis?

Last time I saw him a few years ago, he was still doing great. He was in a diner in Birmingham, Alabama, eating runny eggs with a double order of bacon.

Reilly
03-29-2017, 10:53 AM

At the risk of derailing the thread (though it seems a timeout is in order, things getting heated (but not toasted)):

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/eyewitness-booze-investigation-jack-daniels-premixed-jack-and-cola-review.html

OldPhiKap
03-29-2017, 11:29 AM
At the risk of derailing the thread (though it seems a timeout is in order, things getting heated (but not toasted)):

http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/eyewitness-booze-investigation-jack-daniels-premixed-jack-and-cola-review.html

The fly in the ointment:

Each drink is 5% alcohol, which is just right to compete with other premixes and beer alternatives, but only about half as strong as a Jack and Coke you'd make at home.

Putting aside that one I'd make at home is a heck of a lot stronger than 20 proof, that just seems like another version of Boone's Farm or Thunderbird -- a sugary introductory drink for underage teenagers. Which, of course, is wrong.

I'll take my single malt or single pot/barrel neat, please, with a few drops of water to open 'er on up a tad.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-29-2017, 02:50 PM
Was in Asheville the other day and checked out Catawba Brewing Co. For whatever reason, I did not try this but now feel like I should have...

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME Specialty Brown Ale

http://catawbabrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CVB-Single12ozCanPeanutButterJellyTimefront.jpg

http://catawbabrewing.com/beer/peanut-butter-jelly-time?cat1=0&cat2=0&cat3=1

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-29-2017, 05:33 PM
Was in Asheville the other day and checked out Catawba Brewing Co. For whatever reason, I did not try this but now feel like I should have...

PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME Specialty Brown Ale

http://catawbabrewing.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/CVB-Single12ozCanPeanutButterJellyTimefront.jpg

http://catawbabrewing.com/beer/peanut-butter-jelly-time?cat1=0&cat2=0&cat3=1

You missed out. It's a tasty novelty.

YmoBeThere
03-29-2017, 09:54 PM
You missed out. It's a tasty novelty.

Does novelty = abomination?

OldPhiKap
03-29-2017, 10:10 PM
Just had a PB&J in honor of this thread.

Thanks, DBR!

Turk
03-30-2017, 07:16 AM
Just had a PB&J in honor of this thread.

Thanks, DBR!

Oh, no! Does that mean you snapped your 60+ day diet streak? "And lead us not into temptation...."

OldPhiKap
03-30-2017, 07:30 AM
Oh, no! Does that mean you snapped your 60+ day diet streak? "And lead us not into temptation..."

LOL. Having surgery today -- nothing major, but could not eat after midnight and then it'll be broth for a day afterwards. Enjoyed a carb-up. (21 grain bread, the first bread I have had in two months except for a Lenten tuna sandwich or two).

Down 28 pounds, lightest I've been since college.

But yeah, the PB&J was wholly worth it. First of 2017.

Turk
03-30-2017, 07:52 AM
And then again, there's the old "cram the spoon into the jar and push it into your face" jauntiness. I like that one.

This was a flashback to the bachelor days, and not only when arriving home in the wee hours after a night on the town:

Fish a spoon out of the pile of dirty dishes in the sink (rinsing optional, if you can't tell why the spoon got there in the first place).
Get the jar of PB and the jar of jelly.
Stick the spoon into a jar and shove into your mouth (upside down, of course).
Alternate jars.
Take a big swig of milk directly out of the jug when needed (don't even need to close the fridge door).
Repeat as many times as you like. Four is a pretty good number.

Who needs bread?

Thanks to the unceasing efforts of Mrs. Turk, I am (somewhat) more civilized now, but not to the point where I need to get out a protractor to cut my sandwich. Reilly says "Sinatra". I say "OCD".

P.S. This is the best new thread of 2017.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-30-2017, 08:39 AM
This was a flashback to the bachelor days, and not only when arriving home in the wee hours after a night on the town:

Fish a spoon out of the pile of dirty dishes in the sink (rinsing optional, if you can't tell why the spoon got there in the first place).
Alternate jars.
Take a big swig of milk directly out of the jug when needed (don't even need to close the fridge door).

Who needs bread?

Thanks to the unceasing efforts of Mrs. Turk, I am (somewhat) more civilized now, but not to the point where I need to get out a protractor to cut my sandwich. Reilly says "Sinatra". I say "OCD".

See, you were cutting carbs before it was cool!

Reilly
03-30-2017, 10:03 AM
... I am (somewhat) more civilized now, but not to the point where I need to get out a protractor to cut my sandwich. Reilly says "Sinatra". I say "OCD" ...

I feel so misunderstood. The point at which to begin the cut need not be exact -- I used a percentage just to give an idea. That's the point -- it's not a perfect triangle, and not a perfect half. It's rakish. I am a bit compulsive, but the modified diagonal cut is a messiness I came to embrace due to its functionality, and is actually a sign of non-OCD progress. [Disclaimer: Triangles are still required when talking about crust-less white bread pimento cheese sandwiches at Christmastime made from Aunt T's recipe.]

devil84
03-30-2017, 03:35 PM
Mmmm...PB&J. Lotsa calories, but yeah, I just had one. Yum.

Since we've been talking about other PB&Whatever sandwiches, I thought I'd add one more to the collection. Our farrier was out to shoe our horses. The young man had quite the rural Southern accent, which really makes this recipe. Apparently his favorite sandwich is peanut butter and molasses. My mom asked how you make such a sandwich. "Wellllll," he drawled, "ya take right much mo-lasses an' stir it inta the p'nut butter. Then ya' take a littl' more, an' stir it in good. MMMMM-mmm." Right much molasses and a little more. Best recipe measurement ever.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2017, 05:02 PM
Mmmm...PB&J. Lotsa calories, but yeah, I just had one. Yum.

Since we've been talking about other PB&Whatever sandwiches, I thought I'd add one more to the collection. Our farrier was out to shoe our horses. The young man had quite the rural Southern accent, which really makes this recipe. Apparently his favorite sandwich is peanut butter and molasses. My mom asked how you make such a sandwich. "Wellllll," he drawled, "ya take right much mo-lasses an' stir it inta the p'nut butter. Then ya' take a littl' more, an' stir it in good. MMMMM-mmm." Right much molasses and a little more. Best recipe measurement ever.

That's like giving someone directions down here -- "go down the road a piece . . . ."

Turk
03-31-2017, 07:10 AM
I feel so misunderstood...

I know how you feel; genius is often misunderstood.

"You've heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, OldPhiKap, Devildeac?"
"Yes..."
"Morons."

(Now, what about Aunt T's pimento cheese sandwich recipe? That sounds interesting... or should cheese get a thread of its own? I hear some people think DBR isn't perky enough...)

OldPhiKap
03-31-2017, 07:25 AM

"Yes..."
"Morons."

(Now, what about Aunt T's pimento cheese sandwich recipe? That sounds interesting... or should cheese get a thread of its own? I hear some people think DBR isn't perky enough...)

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him."

-- Jonathan Swift.

brevity
03-31-2017, 09:33 AM

"Yes..."
"Morons."

Perky? If only there were a quote that combined perkiness, sandwiches, and The Princess Bride.

"Sonny, true love is the greatest thing in the world - except for a nice MLT - mutton, lettuce, and tomato sandwich, where the mutton is nice and lean and the tomatoes are ripe... They're so perky, I love that."

Reilly
04-01-2017, 08:32 AM
Arnold 100% Whole Wheat (single slice). Earth Balance natural PB and flaxseed. Whole Foods 365 brand peach fruit spread. Folded. PB spread fine due to being room temperature (this OK even after opening, per label). Not quite enough peach spread due to being at bottom of jar, but the chill of the fruit set against the room temp butter compensated and helped the fruit stand out. Paired with room temperature tap water b/c too lazy to stoop to bottom freezer drawer for ice. Light fuel breakfast pre-40 degree jaunt.

[Mods, you might want to re-title thread "Ymm, PB&J."]

devildeac
04-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Two half sandwiches:

1. One slice Arnold's 12 Grain bread, thick smear of Peter Pan Extra Crunchy on one side and a generous spread of Smucker's Simply Fruit Concord Grape Spread on the other.

2. One slice of same bread and PB with a gooey spread of Smucker's Simply Fruit Strawberry Spread.

3. Half and half Diet Pepsi and Diet Pepsi Cherry to wash down. (Yes, it's a habit and a weakness. :o)

Nap.

Reilly
04-02-2017, 06:26 PM
Pepsi before nap. Espresso before turning in for the night?

devildeac
04-02-2017, 08:18 PM
Pepsi before nap. Espresso before turning in for the night?

Never made it to the nap. :o

Espresso before retiring for the night? No.

Java/espresso/coffee stout as a night cap? Heck, yea! ;)

Reilly
04-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Today is apparently national peanut butter & jelly day. Saw it on Twitter.

Link: http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/April-2-national-peanut-butter-and-jelly-day-417892443.html

devildeac
04-02-2017, 09:47 PM

Link: http://www.wsaw.com/content/news/April-2-national-peanut-butter-and-jelly-day-417892443.html

DBR=always timely

BD80
04-03-2017, 10:21 AM

Might be an April Fools joke for slow people ...

devildeac
04-03-2017, 11:27 AM
If I put some jelly or jam on some Nutter Butters, does that count?

:o

BD80
04-03-2017, 12:19 PM

How would you slice them? A PB&J must be sliced!

On a slightly more serious note, haven't there been some types of PB&J cookies?

OldPhiKap
04-03-2017, 12:32 PM

If I eat a Reese's cup with jelly beans, does that count?

rthomas
04-03-2017, 01:15 PM
I eat crunchy PB on an apple about 3 days a week for lunch.

devildeac
04-03-2017, 01:45 PM
How would you slice them? A PB&J must be sliced!

On a slightly more serious note, haven't there been some types of PB&J cookies?

Slicing optional. ;)

Likely there have been some PB&J cookies but I don't recall every seeing any.

devildeac
04-03-2017, 01:49 PM
If I eat a Reese's cup with jelly beans, does that count?

No. Reasons why not:

1. No bread (or cookies:p)
2. No chocolate on a PB&J. Unless you're Elvis (and no, seeing him in a diner in Birmingham, AL or any other city/state in the US doesn't count), then, almost anything goes.

Reilly
04-03-2017, 02:50 PM
These expanded ideas of what might be a PB&J are similar to the expanded ACC we now have to deal with: take something good, pure, simple, and classic, and make it tawdry and cheap.

devildeac
04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
These expanded ideas of what might be a PB&J are similar to the expanded ACC we now have to deal with: take something good, pure, simple, and classic, and make it tawdry and cheap.

Would that still apply if I ate my PB&J in Greensboro? ;):rolleyes:

BD80
04-03-2017, 04:14 PM
Would that still apply if I ate my PB&J in Greensboro? ;):rolleyes:

Whoa! Getting dangerously close to PPB material. Is it any business of a government WHERE you eat your PB&J? Or with whom? Or how?

devildeac
04-03-2017, 04:18 PM
Whoa! Getting dangerously close to PPB material. Is it any business of a government WHERE you eat your PB&J? Or with whom? Or how?

Only if you're the ACC, NCAA or Jim Boeheim. :p

OldPhiKap
04-03-2017, 05:03 PM

I am against intolerance of any kind. Chief among them however: peanut and lactose tolerances.

Indoor66
04-03-2017, 05:15 PM
I am against intolerance of any kind. Chief among them however: peanut and lactose tolerances.

I'd add intolerant people to the list, as well.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2017, 05:47 PM

And angry people. Angry people piss me off.

BD80
04-03-2017, 06:08 PM

And angry people. Angry people piss me off.

And the Dutch ...

Indoor66
04-03-2017, 06:09 PM
And the Dutch ...

And Germans bombing Pearl Harbor.

Reilly
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
And the Dutch ...

And Germans ...

Serious question: are PB&J's common in other countries? Real countries ... not OPK's Reese's/jellybean land of profane make believe.

Reilly
04-03-2017, 10:07 PM
Problem is apparently lack of decent PB abroad:

http://www.groundedtraveler.com/2011/01/21/peanut-butter-and-jelly-a-cultural-marker/

OldPhiKap
04-04-2017, 07:36 AM
Serious question: are PB&J's common in other countries? Real countries ... not OPK's Reese's/jellybean land of profane make believe.

Don't believe in the Dutchy of Grand Fenwick at your own peril.

BD80
04-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Don't believe in the Dutchy of Grand Fenwick at your own peril.

Is that a mouse I hear roaring?

Jean Seberg made short hair look good!

Reilly
04-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Is that a mouse I hear ...

If You Give a Mouse a PB&J Sandwich ... he'll end up in the NBA, or stuck in an interminable DBR thread ...

OldPhiKap
04-04-2017, 08:59 PM
If You Give a Mouse a PB&J Sandwich ... he'll end up in the NBA, or stuck in an interminable DBR thread ...

If you put a thousand monkeys in a room, and give them each a typewriter, eventually it will small awful.

YmoBeThere
04-07-2017, 09:23 PM
If you put a thousand monkeys in a room, and give them each a typewriter, eventually it will small awful.

It may small awful, but do they get to partake in the PB&Js?

killerleft
04-11-2017, 09:57 AM
Walmart Great Value Smooth Peanut Butter with the red on the label tastes like it has a hint of peanuts in it. Anyone concur, or disagree? I haven't thrown it away yet, but we bought another brand - Skippy - and it is much, much better.

The label says GVPB has 2% other ingredients. These additives must be the antidote to peanut taste.

Reilly
04-11-2017, 11:02 AM
... we bought another brand - Skippy - and it is much, much better ...

No doubt thanks to this thread, I noticed for the first time yesterday (when the song came on the car radio) that "Uptown Funk" contains the line "smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy."

devildeac
04-11-2017, 11:11 AM
No doubt thanks to this thread, I noticed for the first time yesterday (when the song came on the car radio) that "Uptown Funk" contains the line "smoother than a fresh jar of Skippy."

Now you've done it, made me get up and bust a few moves to Uptown Funk. Right in the middle of my work day. :o

OldPhiKap
04-11-2017, 11:20 AM
Now you've done it, made me get up and bust a few moves to Uptown Funk. Right in the middle of my work day. :o

For you at work, isn't "uptown funk" an euphemism for atrial fibrillation?

devildeac
04-11-2017, 12:07 PM
For you at work, isn't "uptown funk" an euphemism for atrial fibrillation?

Yes, and, at that tempo, with a rapid ventricular response.

(probably one other person here will get that reference):o

rsvman
04-11-2017, 03:20 PM
Late to the thread, but I love PB&J and PB&H. Prefer the H. I'm a bit of a honey afficionado.

Anyway, I like "natural" peanut butter, and I like it CRUNCHY! The crunchier the better. Top it with honey, preferably tupelo honey, and enjoy. Cut it or don't cut it; it doesn't matter to me one little bit.

I also like sliced bananas on my PB&H. This thread has made me want to try the PB&P (peanut butter and pineapple), even though I love bananas.

OldPhiKap
04-11-2017, 05:24 PM
Peanut butter and Fluffernutter. Would remind me of childhood.

Reilly
04-11-2017, 08:22 PM
... Fluffernutter ...

Chris Paul's favorite, as I recall.

devildeac
04-11-2017, 08:27 PM

I don't think Julius believes there was anything "fluffy" about that one. :rolleyes:

devildeac
04-11-2017, 08:29 PM

I dated a girl in high school for a while whose nickname was "Skippy" because she was so easy to...

Never mind. :o

OldPhiKap
04-11-2017, 08:37 PM

I don't think Julius believes there was anything "fluffy" about that one. :rolleyes:

"Nutterpuncher"

YmoBeThere
04-14-2017, 07:46 PM
Did we cover this already? How do you know it is peanut butter if it is smooth? Couldn't it just be almond butter with flavoring?

YmoBeThere
04-16-2017, 08:12 AM
Peanut butter and jelly on my waffles?

OldPhiKap
04-16-2017, 08:20 AM
Peanut butter and jelly on my waffles?

My son does this a bunch.

YmoBeThere
04-16-2017, 11:34 AM
My son does this a bunch.

What type of waffles?

OldPhiKap
04-16-2017, 01:15 PM
What type of waffles?

Eggo toaster. Nothing special.

Turk
04-17-2017, 10:24 AM

Alternate jars.

Who needs bread?

I came home from work one day last week to an empty house. Mrs. Turk and the young Turks were scattered around town doing various activities and not expected back anytime soon.

I poked around the fridge looking for leftovers; nothing was really interesting.

Then on the door I saw the jar of grape jelly. One little voice in my ear whispered, "Oh yeah... do it.... you know you want to...."
The voice in my other ear snarled, "How old are you? Grow up already... Cook yourself some proper adult food, you lazy jagoff..."

You know which voice I listened to; I don't even have to say it. (In a small concession to the other voice, I did take a minute to wipe down the mouth of the milk jug after I was done drinking out of it.)

OldPhiKap
05-10-2017, 08:59 PM
I have to fast all day tomorrow. So for my last meal tonight, planning a massive PB&J orgy. Gonna carb until I can't carb no more.

OldPhiKap
01-29-2018, 07:33 AM
Couldn’t decide on breakfast, so had first pb&j since last May. Open-face with toasted slice of Dave’s Killer 21 Whole Grain, Peter Pan chunky, local peach preserves.

Too bad it’s my rest day from the gym. Enough carbs and protein to fuel a horse.

Wash it down with a few cups of Jittery Joe’s Terrapin Wake-‘n-Bake coffee, and I’m ready to face a Monday.

(Lunch will be homemade ribollita for those keeping score)

BD80
01-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Couldn’t decide on breakfast, so had first pb&j since last May. Open-face with toasted slice of Dave’s Killer 21 Whole Grain, Peter Pan chunky, local peach preserves.

Too bad it’s my rest day from the gym. Enough carbs and protein to fuel a horse.

Wash it down with a few cups of Jittery Joe’s Terrapin Wake-‘n-Bake coffee, and I’m ready to face a Monday.

And Tuesday ...

Reilly
07-19-2018, 11:28 AM
I'm eating a PB&J this very moment.

Acymetric
07-19-2018, 08:24 PM
I have no idea how I missed this thread both the first time through or in it's brief early 2018 resurrection, but everyone seems to be missing the most critical part. Crunchy/smooth, grape/strawberry, square/diagonal cut, these are all differences we can learn to accept from one another (just know that if you offer me a PB&J, and when I bite into it I feel peanut lumps I'll never trust you again under any circumstance).

The KEY to a good PB&J is having an appropriate amount of both PB and J. I always assumed this was obvious, until the first time my good friend/roommate and I made our first PB&J together sophomore year of college. I was appalled as I watched one of my best friends eat what I can only describe as a bread sandwich. You need to LATHER that one half with gobs of peanut butter. Dump jelly on the other side. You WILL need a plate, as you will be dripping jelly unless you are the carefullest of eaters. If a jar of peanut butter lasts you an entire loaf of bread, you're doing it wrong.

Finally, for those that do not intend to read the thread in its entirety, below is the elegant treatsie on sandwich cutting provided by Reilly. I haven't tried it yet but this changes the game. Is there a statute of limitations on sporks?

Jim3k
07-19-2018, 08:40 PM

Wha? Chunky is always good. But Peter Pan? Adams or Trader Joe are my favorites

devildeac
07-19-2018, 08:53 PM
Apologies in advance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8MDNFaGfT4

Acymetric
07-19-2018, 09:10 PM
^Well, we made it 7 good, long pages...

devildeac
07-19-2018, 09:15 PM
^Well, we made it 7 good, long pages...

Well, at least you didn't have to read another article on cinder blocks...

:rolleyes::o

OldPhiKap
07-20-2018, 12:21 AM
Wha? Chunky is always good. But Peter Pan? Adams or Trader Joe are my favorites

It’s what my kids eat apparently. I’m a stir-the-oil kind of guy. But beggars can’t be choosers.

kmspeaks
07-20-2018, 10:40 AM
The KEY to a good PB&J is having an appropriate amount of both PB and J. I always assumed this was obvious, until the first time my good friend/roommate and I made our first PB&J together sophomore year of college. I was appalled as I watched one of my best friends eat what I can only describe as a bread sandwich. You need to LATHER that one half with gobs of peanut butter. Dump jelly on the other side. You WILL need a plate, as you will be dripping jelly unless you are the carefullest of eaters. If a jar of peanut butter lasts you an entire loaf of bread, you're doing it wrong.

This works ok for the eat-at-home PB&J but a former coworker gave me a life changing tip for the packed-for-lunch PB&J - peanut butter on both slices! It shields the bread from the jelly so your sandwich isn't soggy when you eat it hours later.

jacone21
07-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Revisiting this thread gave me a serious craving. So when I got home, I took care of it.

Smucker's natural creamy peanut butter and Blueberry jam made last Sunday from berries picked the same day... on toast... sliced diagonally.

OldPhiKap
07-20-2018, 05:18 PM
Had an open-faced PB&J for breakfast this morning. It didn't hold me at all, was dying of hunger before 10 am. Unusual, and disappointing. Especially since it was a sprout bread.

Still don't give a rip about the NBA.