PDA

View Full Version : Doug Gottlieb to interview for Oklahoma State vacancy

kako
03-22-2017, 04:11 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18977048/doug-gottlieb-in

Would love to see this particular Duke hater go. If he gets hired, let's see if his team can shoot free throws (he sucked at that).

utahdevil
03-22-2017, 04:13 PM
They deserve each other. Yikes.

weezie
03-22-2017, 04:15 PM
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, that's the best laugh I've had since Sunday.

Oh, won't this be fun!!!

Tripping William
03-22-2017, 04:15 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18977048/doug-gottlieb-in

Would love to see this particular Duke hater go. If he gets hired, let's see if his team can shoot free throws (he sucked at that).

John Wooden used to teach his players how to tie their shoes. Doug Gottlieb doesn't even know how to put his shorts on correctly (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf1izKbjTZ0). But I bet his teams will be the most alarmingly athletic around . . . . :rolleyes:

Atlanta Duke
03-22-2017, 04:51 PM
An alarmingly unimaginative potential hire

OldPhiKap
03-22-2017, 05:03 PM
PLEASE let this happen . . . .

kAzE
03-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Just out of curiosity, I Googled Doug Gottlieb's college career at Notre Dame/OK St: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/doug-gottlieb-1.html

I never watched him play, but just looking at this stats, Gottlieb had to have one of the most unusual games ever for a college point guard. He was basically a pass-only point guard. He might be the worst scoring starting point guard I've ever heard of. Basically, he was a really good passer: He averaged 7.6 assist a game over his career, and he's #11 in career assists in the NCAA all time.

But his offensive game outside of passing was an unmitigated atrocity. He was 36.8% from the field for his career, a miserable 24% from 3, and 45.7% from the foul line. Yes, that's not a typo. Mason effing Plumlee shot over 12% better from the charity stripe than Doug Gottlieb in college. I could go into the gym cold right now and shoot more accurately from the free throw line than Doug Gottlieb, a power-5 conference starting point guard. Wow.

Doug Gottlieb, an alarmingly inaccurate shooter.

throatybeard
03-22-2017, 08:18 PM
What, was Eddie Sutton unavailable or in his eighties or something?

duketaylor
03-22-2017, 08:30 PM
Please let this happen!!

Rich
03-22-2017, 08:31 PM
Just out of curiosity, I Googled Doug Gottlieb's college career at Notre Dame/OK St: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/doug-gottlieb-1.html

I never watched him play, but just looking at this stats, Gottlieb had to have one of the most unusual games ever for a college point guard. He was basically a pass-only point guard. He might be the worst scoring starting point guard I've ever heard of. Basically, he was a really good passer: He averaged 7.6 assist a game over his career, and he's #11 in career assists in the NCAA all time.

But his offensive game outside of passing was an unmitigated atrocity. He was 36.8% from the field for his career, a miserable 24% from 3, and 45.7% from the foul line. Yes, that's not a typo. Mason effing Plumlee shot over 12% better from the charity stripe than Doug Gottlieb in college. I could go into the gym cold right now and shoot more accurately from the free throw line than Doug Gottlieb, a power-5 conference starting point guard. Wow.

I remember when Gottlieb played. Wreaked havoc on end game coaching decisions when ball handling and free throw shooting are so important.

kAzE
03-22-2017, 10:14 PM
I remember when Gottlieb played. Wreaked havoc on end game coaching decisions when ball handling and free throw shooting are so important.

He must have been an unbelievable ball handler and passer. He had to be, considering his complete ineptitude for scoring. He averaged 5.1 points a game over his career! You literally did not have to guard him anywhere except right next to the hoop. He was basically 100% useless off the ball.

You want a wide open 3, Doug? Go ahead. You want a wide open 15 footer? Be my guest. We'll just cover all the passing lanes and make you beat us . . .

rsvman
03-22-2017, 11:06 PM
Alarmingly unskilled.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-23-2017, 06:08 AM

But sneaky good with a credit card!

devildeac
03-23-2017, 07:15 AM
But sneaky good with a credit card!

If he gets the job, it'll give new meaning to the charging foul...

tbyers11
03-23-2017, 07:26 AM
What, was Eddie Sutton unavailable or in his eighties or something?

I heard that Eddie turned them down. Same with the ghost of Hank Iba.

throatybeard
03-23-2017, 08:04 AM
I heard that Eddie turned them down. Same with the ghost of Hank Iba.

Where can I get my I Said No To Boone Pickens shirt?

Jeffrey
03-23-2017, 10:47 AM
Where can I get my I Said No To Boone Pickens shirt?

Madeleine Pickens.

kako
03-23-2017, 01:44 PM
I really hate Gottlieb, so much that I found an Oklahoma State message board and perused their posts. Apparently, they love the guy.

I really want to watch OSU go down in flames with Gottlieb. Maybe then he will fade into obscurity.

In addition, a tidbit I learned - it makes sense that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have a rivalry of some kind. Don't know if it's reciprocal - Ohio State and Michigan have a big rivalry, but Michigan State thinks of Michigan as their big rival (perhaps like Wake does for UNC?). In any case, the OSU fans refer to Oklahoma as the "Gooners". Not ever spending any time in Oklahoma, I can't really confirm any distinction.

kAzE
03-23-2017, 01:49 PM
In addition, a tidbit I learned - it makes sense that Oklahoma and Oklahoma State have a rivalry of some kind. Don't know if it's reciprocal - Ohio State and Michigan have a big rivalry, but Michigan State thinks of Michigan as their big rival (perhaps like Wake does for UNC?). In any case, the OSU fans refer to Oklahoma as the "Gooners". Not ever spending any time in Oklahoma, I can't really confirm any distinction.

My boss went to OSU, and he tries to get everyone else in our department to call Oklahoma "Zero U"

dukelifer
03-23-2017, 01:56 PM
I really hate Gottlieb, so much that I found an Oklahoma State message board and perused their posts. Apparently, they love the guy.

I really want to watch OSU go down in flames with Gottlieb. Maybe then he will fade into obscurity.

Gottlieb has made it clear to all that will listen is that he knows a lot about college basketball- I would be surprised if he ever loses a game.

kAzE
03-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Gottlieb has made it clear to all that will listen is that he played college basketball

FIFY

BD80
03-23-2017, 06:08 PM
Is Dougie still a "go-to" talking head?

I haven't noticed him much recently, though I admit that it may be that I immediately tune him out if I hear his voice