PDA

View Full Version : Tatum declares

NashvilleDevil
03-22-2017, 02:11 PM
Jayson has declared for the draft (no shock). Wish him all the best and it was a joy watching him grow this year.

BD80
03-22-2017, 02:14 PM
I hope he finishes his classes this semester, rather than pull a big blue and leave for private preparation for the draft process.

Best of luck to a fine representative of the school.

dukebluesincebirth
03-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Jayson has declared for the draft (no shock). Wish him all the best and it was a joy watching him grow this year.

Man I hate the one and done era for selfish reasons. Thanks for coming to Duke J-Smooth, we appreciate you! Stay connected to Duke and Coach K, stay away from trouble, and become a shining star! Best wishes, and good luck sir.

DinoDuke
03-22-2017, 02:18 PM
Good luck in the league big guy, thanks for the awesome year.

Troublemaker
03-22-2017, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the ACC Championship, Jayson! Great job this year, and good luck in the league.

TKG
03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Hope this news found its way to Mr. Knox.

kAzE
03-22-2017, 02:27 PM
Best wishes, Jayson! I know you'll make us proud!

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2017, 02:29 PM
How can Tatum declare? Why would he not stay at Duke and give up ~$15M in salary (and arguably half that in endorsements)! Inconceivable!

Anywho, congrats to Tatum. See you in the TD Garden shortly.

Troublemaker
03-22-2017, 02:29 PM
Hope this news found its way to Mr. Knox.

Oh I'm sure he already knew after Duke visited him in Florida yesterday.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2017, 02:35 PM
Good luck, Jayson.

I should note that in the past when Duke had multiple undergrads go pro, they have staggered the announcements so that each kid gets his day in the sun.

I suspect we have at least one more and maybe as many as three or four more guys to salute as they head out the door.

brevity
03-22-2017, 02:37 PM
Trust, but verify. Link (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211530832) from GoDuke.com.

Tatum is the 10th Duke freshman to declare for the NBA Draft, joining Corey Maggette (1999), Luol Deng (2004), Kyrie Irving (2011), Austin Rivers (2012), Jabari Parker (2014), Tyus Jones (2015), Jahlil Okafor (2015), Justise Winslow (2015) and Brandon Ingram (2016).

Each of the previous nine Duke freshman in the draft was a first-round selection, including eight lottery picks.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2017, 02:49 PM
]Tatum is the 10th Duke freshman to declare for the NBA Draft, joining Corey Maggette (1999), Luol Deng (2004), Kyrie Irving (2011), Austin Rivers (2012), Jabari Parker (2014), Tyus Jones (2015), Jahlil Okafor (2015), Justise Winslow (2015) and Brandon Ingram (2016). Each of the previous nine Duke freshman in the draft was a first-round selection, including eight lottery picks.

And the one exception?

Tyus Jones was No. 24 in the first round in 2015.

The others (in order of their draft position):

No. 1. Elton Brand (1999)
No. 1 Kyrie Irving (2011)
No. 2 Jabari Parker (2014)
No. 2 Brandon Ingram (2016)
No. 3 Jahlil Okafor (2015)
No. 7 Luol Deng (2004)
No. 10 Justise Winslow (2015)
No. 13 Corey Maggette (1999)

I think it's safe to say Jayson Tatum will be a 9th Duke freshman to wind up in the lottery. Predicting his precise position will depend on the lottery itself. While most projections have him at 4 or 5, he could go higher, depending on which teams draft in which order. Either Tatum or Josh Jackson of Kansas is likely the first non-point guard taken. Fultz, Ball and even Dennis Smith are highly prized, but there are teams that don't need a point guard. Boston, for instance, has the Nets pick and could be piking No. 1 ... if that happens, they most likely take Tatum or Jackson (or trade the pick).

kAzE
03-22-2017, 02:50 PM
Tatum is the 10th Duke freshman to declare for the NBA Draft, joining Corey Maggette (1999), Luol Deng (2004), Kyrie Irving (2011), Austin Rivers (2012), Jabari Parker (2014), Tyus Jones (2015), Jahlil Okafor (2015), Justise Winslow (2015) and Brandon Ingram (2016).
Each of the previous nine Duke freshman in the draft was a first-round selection, including eight lottery picks.

And the one exception?

Tyus Jones was No. 24 in the first round in 2015.

The others (in order of their draft position):

No. 1. Elton Brand (1999)
No. 1 Kyrie Irving (2011)
No. 2 Jabari Parker (2014)
No. 2 Brandon Ingram (2016)
No. 3 Jahlil Okafor (2015)
No. 7 Luol Deng (2004)
No. 10 Justise Winslow (2015)
No. 13 Corey Maggette (1999)

I think it's safe to say Jayson Tatum will be a 10th Duke freshman to wind up in the lottery. Predicting his precise position will depend on the lottery itself. While most projections have him at 4 or 5, he could go higher, depending on which teams draft in which order. Either Tatum or Josh Jackson of Kansas is likely the first non-point guard taken. Fultz, Ball and even Dennis Smith are highly prized, but there are teams that don't need a point guard. Boston, for instance, has the Nets pick and could be piking No. 1 ... if that happens, they most likely take Tatum or Jackson (or trade the pick).

Slight nitpick . . . Elton Brand was not OAD . . . he declared after his sophomore year. You forgot Rivers (10th overall) in your list.

Olympic Fan
03-22-2017, 02:51 PM
Slight nitpick . . . Elton Brand was not OAD . . . he declared after his sophomore year.

Good catch ...

duke79
03-22-2017, 03:13 PM
Man I hate the one and done era for selfish reasons. Thanks for coming to Duke J-Smooth, we appreciate you! Stay connected to Duke and Coach K, stay away from trouble, and become a shining star! Best wishes, and good luck sir.

Ditto to this sentiment! I realize he will be making a lot of money (nothing wrong with that) and I realize that it is the dream for many of these young star basketball players to get to the NBA as fast as possible...BUT I also feel sorry for him that he will not have a normal 4-year college experience (if the scholarship players at a place like Duke have a "normal" experience?). I was certainly not ready after one year of college to leave and go out into the "real world". But I wish him the best of luck and to stay healthy and have a great NBA career. I think the sky is the only limit for him!

elvis14
03-22-2017, 03:16 PM
I really enjoyed watching him play this year. His growth as a player the last couple of months has been impressive and I'm sure he'll do well in the NBA.

toughbuff1
03-22-2017, 03:16 PM
Thanks for a great year Jayson! It was fun watching you develop throughout the season. I'll be rooting for you in the NBA!

Eternal Outlaw
03-22-2017, 03:19 PM
Thanks for 28 wins, ACC Championship, and 2 wins vs Cheats. Hopes he does well anywhere but would love the Knicks to build around Porzingis-Tatum combo if the lottery bounces them in the right spot.

azzefkram
03-22-2017, 03:30 PM
Inconceivable!

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

OldPhiKap
03-22-2017, 03:31 PM
Best of luck, Jayson!

TKG
03-22-2017, 03:34 PM
Jayson, we hardly knew yee......

Sir Stealth
03-22-2017, 03:44 PM
Always tough to say goodbye to a player after just one year, but we'll always have that dunk on Kennedy Meeks and the ACC title run. Not to mention many other great highlights such as the second half explosion at UVA. Was great to have him as a Duke player and he should represent Duke well for the rest of his career.

azzefkram
03-22-2017, 03:48 PM
He was sure fun to watch (except for the step-back fadeaway long 2s though they were fun when they went in) this season. Best of luck in the league.

flyingdutchdevil
03-22-2017, 03:49 PM
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3sLhnDJJn0

FerryFor50
03-22-2017, 03:51 PM
Oh I'm sure he already knew after Duke visited him in Florida yesterday.

Likely brought plenty of game tape of Tatum dominating, just to show the possibilities.

trinity92
03-22-2017, 04:17 PM
I was certainly not ready after one year of college to leave and go out into the "real world".

It seems worth noting that after his one year of college, Jayson is already better at his profession (one of the top 400 or so in his profession in the world just by making the league and top 15 in the world in his "graduating" class) than most people on this planet ever were or will be. Maturity may be a different thing, but as for being prepared for the workforce, 99.9% of us can only dream of being as ready as he is.

SoCalDukeFan
03-22-2017, 04:48 PM
Jason

Would have loved seeing you stay longer at Duke but thanks for all you did and best of luck in the NBA.

SoCal

Doria
03-22-2017, 05:21 PM
Thanks for everything, and good luck throughout your career!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-22-2017, 05:51 PM
Jayson - you were the class of this class. Fun to watch you get smarter ball-wise and thanks for sharing your talents with this group. Would have been fun to send you off with a championship, but it just didn't go that way this year.

Seeing my first game ever in Cameron I was awestruck by your shoulders. You have the body to make immediate noise in the Association.

Best of luck in the draft - you bring an amazing skill set to your next team.

mattman91
03-22-2017, 05:54 PM
Good luck Jayson!

Devilwin
03-22-2017, 07:03 PM
Jayson
Great job this year. I would say the audition went well.

throatybeard
03-22-2017, 08:14 PM
Since he's from Saint Louis, I have a mind to buy his jersey.

Unless he's taken by one of the thirty or so NBA teams I don't much care for.

NYBri
03-22-2017, 08:20 PM
Most NBA ready OAD from Duke IMHO.

He is going to be great.

BigZ
03-22-2017, 08:23 PM
I think he will be better than Parker, Oak or Ingram

Dukehky
03-22-2017, 09:01 PM
I said before the start of the season that I thought he was the most offensively talented player Duke had ever signed. I got a lot of pushback on that since he hadn't played for Duke yet. I think he proved that he's at least in the conversation.

I loved watching him play especially as he got going. I don't need to wish him luck at the next level, he's going to be great.

phaedrus
03-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Since he's from Saint Louis, I have a mind to buy his jersey.

Unless he's taken by one of the thirty or so NBA teams I don't much care for.

Where do the Spirits pick this year?

MrPoon
03-22-2017, 11:01 PM
Most NBA ready OAD from Duke IMHO.

He is going to be great.

Absolutely agree! I've been saying all year there is a fluidity to his game that is more naturally NBA than any Duke OAD I can recall. Very happy for him. He'll be the next Paul George in my view but with the chance for a better offensive game (maybe not quite the D- but that's a high bar).

Can't imagine this kid as a Duke senior back in the day where that was done. Holy crap.

Thanks Tatum, this was a much more challenging year than anyone could have foreseen but you kept getting better every game. That toughness will serve you well in an 82 game season where you are back starting at the bottom.

moonpie23
03-23-2017, 12:27 AM
best of luck, jayson....thanks for coming to duke!! we'll be pulling for you!!

throatybeard
03-23-2017, 08:13 AM
Where do the Spirits pick this year?

Unfortunately, they traded both 2017 picks to the Flint Tropics.

MChambers
03-23-2017, 08:49 AM
Absolutely agree! I've been saying all year there is a fluidity to his game that is more naturally NBA than any Duke OAD I can recall. Very happy for him. He'll be the next Paul George in my view but with the chance for a better offensive game (maybe not quite the D- but that's a high bar).

Can't imagine this kid as a Duke senior back in the day where that was done. Holy crap.

Thanks Tatum, this was a much more challenging year than anyone could have foreseen but you kept getting better every game. That toughness will serve you well in an 82 game season where you are back starting at the bottom.

More than Irving? I certainly agree that Tatum is ready for the NBA, but not more than Irving.

MCFinARL
03-23-2017, 09:29 AM
Jayson - you were the class of this class. Fun to watch you get smarter ball-wise and thanks for sharing your talents with this group. Would have been fun to send you off with a championship, but it just didn't go that way this year.

Seeing my first game ever in Cameron I was awestruck by your shoulders. You have the body to make immediate noise in the Association.

Best of luck in the draft - you bring an amazing skill set to your next team.

Well, we are sending him off with a championship--but it is the ACC championship, not the NCAA. Granted, not as special--but not chopped liver either, and Tatum was a very big part of it.

Best of luck to you, Jayson.

kAzE
03-23-2017, 12:37 PM
I think he will be better than Parker, Oak or Ingram

Too early to tell, in my opinion. Brandon still has a ways to go as far as maturing physically. He could be a beast by the time he fills out that ridiculous frame. Jayson has an insanely high skill level, though. I think it will come down to those 2. They will be interesting to watch going forward.

CDu
03-23-2017, 12:53 PM
Yeah, I would definitely put him behind Irving as an offensively-ready NBA guy. But definitely ahead of Parker (who is a bit of a tweener) and Okafor (who is atrocious defensively and a bit plodding offensively). Ingram is tricky because he is so far less polished than Tatum. But his physical attributes (namely that absurd wingspan) give him a chance to be special.

If I had to guess, I'd say Tatum will be the better pro. And I certainly think he'll be the better pro next year. But Ingram has tantalizing potential.

kAzE
03-23-2017, 01:25 PM
Here's a fun offseason game:

Jayson Tatum is the most talented Duke player since _________.

A. Brandon Ingram
B. Jabari Parker
C. Kyrie Irving
D. Elton Brand
E. Grant Hill

I think the answer is C, but there's a non-zero chance it could be E. Jayson is 19, he's got about 6-8 years to go before he hits his prime. A lot could happen in that time.

If it's E, that would mean he's the 2nd most talented Duke player ever. That would be special.

Furniture
03-24-2017, 06:26 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/845248628763607040/video/1

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2017, 06:31 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/845248628763607040/video/1

Very classy

moonpie23
03-24-2017, 08:25 PM
great video.......we're going to miss you, man....

lotusland
03-25-2017, 09:25 AM
I enjoyed watching Tatum play at Duke. He was by far the most aggressive and most "ready" of the freshmen this year. By year-end he was arguably Duke's best player. I think it's easy to forget some of the frustration and criticism directed at him the first 3/4 of the season though. Tatum was compared often to AR and not in a good way. I liked Rivers and agree with the comparison. Both players were over-confident from the jump but, most importantly, they got better every game. Still it wasn't a joyful process.

The old adage is " the best thing about freshmen is they become sophomores " but too often, n the OAD era, they don't. It's useful, imo, to remember that the most "ready" freshmen are going to struggle. That means next year's freshmen are going to struggle no matter how slick their highlight videos are. 2015 was probably the best scenario as far as starting 3 freshmen but we had key upper-classmen with Quin, Amile and MP3 even then. If Duke opens next year with Carter, Duvall and Knox starting, it's probably not going to be pretty. Ideally GA and Luke will be around to balance out the youngsters. But if Duke continues to plug in 3 freshmen starters every year we won't have experienced upperclassmen like DeLaurier, Jack White and Vrank around to steady the ship.

MrPoon
03-25-2017, 08:04 PM
Here's a fun offseason game:

Jayson Tatum is the most talented Duke player since _________.

A. Brandon Ingram
B. Jabari Parker
C. Kyrie Irving
D. Elton Brand
E. Grant Hill

I think the answer is C, but there's a non-zero chance it could be E. Jayson is 19, he's got about 6-8 years to go before he hits his prime. A lot could happen in that time.

If it's E, that would mean he's the 2nd most talented Duke player ever. That would be special.

Talent is a difficult term for me to define. Skill is easier. For me I'll change it by saying "which player was NBA talent ready". If that is the question, Tatum was three behind KI and Grant but that is rarified status.

I still hear a glimmer of criticism in some farewell posts here. Even comparisons of Rivers (which I also really dislike on this board) but I think that is way way way off base. Tatum constantly tried to find his spot in a very evolving offensive system. Sometimes he did too much, sometimes he did too little but he seemed to be constantly trying to find his spot and got better at it each game. As a freshman, injured missing many practices and no true PG, he had to mesh with ball dominant Jr Grayson, Soph Kinnard and all the other pieces. His best friend couldn't play well and yet found ways to keep him involved (Giles) when he could. His rebounds were essential all year and his blocks etc impacted the game more and more. Really really admired this kids effort and play and I am as certain as ANY Duke player he will have a monster NBA career and represent the community very well. The weaknesses of this team should not be heaped on his 18 year old shoulders.

Best of luck J Smooth (hope you avoid the Duke NBA injury bug), loved watching you, should have been ACC freshman PoY for me, certainly ACC Tournament MVP.