PDA

View Full Version : DBR Podcast Episode #76: An Abrupt End to the Season

Dev11
03-22-2017, 01:32 PM
We're not quitting on the show just because Duke quit on defense (Kidding, hey, everybody relax...). We'll be back after the tournament is over when we have more ammo to speculate on NBA decisions, etc.

Links:

iTunes (https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/dbr-podcast/id954964236?mt=2)
Google Play (https://goo.gl/app/playmusic?ibi=com.google.PlayMusic&isi=691797987&ius=googleplaymusic&link=https://play.google.com/music/m/Ikxgkr6wboxnehrbaoqd47vw4gq?t%3DDuke_Basketball_Re port)
Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/dbrpodcast)
Stitcher (http://app.stitcher.com/browse/feed/58077/details)

Time stamps:

Jason is so despondent, he curses as the podcast opens. Meanwhile, Sam is watching “highlights” on YouTube and Donald is getting drunk

3:00 Recapping the good – the victory over Troy

6:45 Sam talks about the “two Duke teams”

8:05 Recapping the bad – the loss to South Carolina. Jason can barely speak. Sam talks about the quality of the shots that SC got.

12:25 Jason was blown away by how well SC shot from the field and how many shots they took.

14:50 Donald thought the law of averages would kill SC after they had a hot game against Marquette. It didn’t.

17:20 Sam makes a great point about the cumulative effect of Duke not getting to practice enough this season

20:10 K said this was the most physical team we faced all year

23:00 Sam asks about the UNC fans rooting for SC which leads to a conversation about home court in the NCAA tourney and some seeding controversy.

30:40 Looking back on our predictions for the season… we were mostly wrong!!

42:40 What was your most disappointing Duke season? This will not be an enjoyable trip down memory lane.

51:15 Jason is just despondent about this year’s Duke club and what could have been

1:00:25 Player of the week and player of the year! Sam with an amusing POW pick and then we all pick the same guy for POY.

1:07:00 Parting shots – Donald on the Duke women’s basketball team

1:08:05 Parting shots – Sam asks - who will be Duke’s next celebrated senior? It is telling that he even has to ask this question.

JasonEvans
03-22-2017, 01:57 PM
I managed to mute for the fraction of a second where I cursed in the opening. I said a word that sorta sounds like ducking.

It took much effort to keep the rest of the podcast from sounding like a Deadpool monologue, let me tell you!

utahdevil
03-22-2017, 02:14 PM
I'm very much looking forward to listening to this podcast on the drive home tonight. I've been waiting for it anxiously the past 60-hrs or so since the loss. Listening to it will be cathartic and help me in the grieving process!

You guys are the best! Thanks.

Rheumdis
03-22-2017, 02:18 PM
I have as well, hoping for a glimmer of solace in what has been a 72 hr. funk; Tatum leaving hasn't helped, and I hope the "next shoe to drop" is not from a quadruped.

Devils Librarian
03-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Thanks so much for the podcasts throughout the season! I have been listening since the start and I am always excited when a new episode pops up in iTunes. I know that it is rude to get something for free and to then ask for more, but I hope that the three of you will record after we know who is leaving and who is staying, after we have the recruiting for next season finalized, and you guys always do some great football podcasts.

I'd like to take a minute to respond to Jason's view that this is one of the most disappointing seasons based on what could have been. I understand that viewpoint, I really do. However, we won the ACC, we beat unc-ch twice, and even after we lost in the NCAA tournament I was able to troll my friends who are unc-ch fans by asking them if the reason they are so excited is that they finally got to see a team with the name Carolina on their jersey beat Duke?

One last thing, will you guys do a special podcast if (miracles of miracles) the NCAA does the right thing and makes unc-ch take down the 05 and 09 banners?

Thanks again.

Go Duke!

Dev11
03-22-2017, 04:01 PM
Our general policy during the offseason is to do a new show once there is enough news to discuss, or after a major event like the NBA draft. We'll also try to compensate for long periods between shows with interviews. Given Jason's feelings on the UNC scandal, I expect that if the NCAA ever actually issues a punishment, we will discuss it.

kAzE
03-22-2017, 04:23 PM
I agree with Jason that this was probably my most disappointing year as a Duke fan. I've been a fan since I was a little kid in the early 90s, and relative to expectations, I believe this was the most disappointing season in my memory. In retrospect, it was apparent fairly early in the ACC schedule that we probably weren't going to reach those lofty expectations, but the glorious run the ACCT was just good enough to build up my hopes again for a national title before the unceremonious destruction of dreams that happened last Sunday.

2004 was sad, but we got to the Final Four. 1999 was awesome, we just came up short in the championship. 2011 sucked, but at least we were great the whole year. 2002, same thing, and "Gone in 60 seconds" was so, so good. I just wanted to see this 2017 team play to its potential, and I don't think we ever got to see that. There were maybe a couple of flashes in the ACCT, when Harry looked like he might start to become a difference maker, but it never manifested for an entire game. So this one really hurts.

Billy Dat
03-22-2017, 05:34 PM
Good pod, I enjoyed the edge in Jason's voice which reflects how I feel as a Duke fan.

I actually don't think enough has been made in the pres of South Carolina's anomalous second half, which was just like the one Arizona had against us in 2011. Zona was worse because they went up huge early in that half and we couldn't do anything. At least against SC there was a threat, up until about 2 minutes left, that we could make a run.

I agree with all the disappointing seasons, I will add 2013/14 because that team had insane talent (Jabari, Rodney, etc.), no real injuries, yet didn't come close to fulfilling the potential suggested by the talent. The loss to a Mercer squad without a trace of an NBA player was the capstone.

This year, the delta between expectation and reality boiled down to Giles and Bolden. Losing most of the season to injuries robbed us of continuity and that was really the headline, but, by the end of the year, everyone was pretty much healthy and Harry was nowhere near what his potential suggests (so, in that way, he wasn't HEALTHY, but he was playing) and Marquese never really got a chance but there were reasons for that I guess.

Saratoga2
03-23-2017, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the series of interesting Podcasts this season. I came away from the last game disappointed but not at all surprised. We had an incredible amount of talent to start the year but so many injuries dogged the team along with Grayson's incidents and coach K being out.

That being said, we had 9 losses this year including the last in which the team could not match the energy and aggressiveness of USC. The gorilla in the room is why we were less than we might have been at the end. Was the problem

1. The short rotation
2. Lack of development of secondary players
3. Lack of aggressive play allowed in the ACC
4. Style of refereeing

Coach K is known for adapting to new situations. Lets hope he and his staff will give full consideration to how the season went and try to make adjustments. As per usual, Duke will have a lot of talent on the roster so we start from a position of strength.

UrinalCake
03-23-2017, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the pod and allowing us to close the book on a roller coaster season that ended in disappointment. I have to say, I completely disagree with your assessment of the Troy game. I didn't see it as a blowout at all. It feels like I must have watched a completely different game than the three of you. They cut the lead to 9 more than once in the second half. At one point in the first half we were something like 10 of 14 from three yet only led by single digits. At no point in this game did I actually feel comfortable until there were about four minutes left. We didn't get to rest our starters at all. I came away from the game feeling like if we played like that again we would lose our next game.

Our inability to put away bad teams was evident the entire season. In retrospect, losing to SC should not have been a shock. We barely beat Wake twice, beat clemson by 2 at home, lost to the likes of Syracuse, Miami, and NC State. Most of those teams weren't even in the tournament. So losing to the 7 seed who was coming off a great game in the opening round actually sounds about right. It was fairly common for us to give up 40-45 points in a half, even to bad teams. And just like against Syracuse, we failed to build up a lead in the first half against SC and it came back to bite us in the second.

The obvious reasons for playing down to bad teams are terrible defense and a lack of a PG. the other is fatigue that sets in from playing such a short rotation, coupled with foul trouble that seemed to affect every single game. Coming into the season I thought we'd be able to overcome the lack of a PG because we had so many offensive weapons. What I failed to account for was the lack of a game manager who can actually run the team, which is different from simply having someone to initiate the half court offense. Turnovers were also a recurring problem all season, which went largely unnoticed.

After having some time to process the loss I'm not quite as angry. Still disappointed, but the signs were there all season long that something like this could happen. Thanks again for all the work you guys put in to developing this podcast, and I look forward to next season when we can do it all over again!

flyingdutchdevil
03-23-2017, 10:25 AM
I agree with Jason that this was probably my most disappointing year as a Duke fan. I've been a fan since I was a little kid in the early 90s, and relative to expectations, I believe this was the most disappointing season in my memory. In retrospect, it was apparent fairly early in the ACC schedule that we probably weren't going to reach those lofty expectations, but the glorious run the ACCT was just good enough to build up my hopes again for a national title before the unceremonious destruction of dreams that happened last Sunday.

2004 was sad, but we got to the Final Four. 1999 was awesome, we just came up short in the championship. 2011 sucked, but at least we were great the whole year. 2002, same thing, and "Gone in 60 seconds" was so, so good. I just wanted to see this 2017 team play to its potential, and I don't think we ever got to see that. There were maybe a couple of flashes in the ACCT, when Harry looked like he might start to become a difference maker, but it never manifested for an entire game. So this one really hurts.

Sorry guys - I'm too tired and pissed off to listen to anything Duke basketball related. I like the podcast, but I just can't do it this week. I'd rather just read DBR and post my feelings.

Anywho, I agree 100% with Jason and Kaze, although I'll remove the word, "probably". This is hands-down the most disappoint year as a Duke fan. Given, I've only been a Duke fan since 2003 - and I've been crazy spoiled, mind you - but this year was as close to a "given" in terms of forecasted success.

-The insane returning talent
-The insane recruiting class
-The insane coaching staff

And this doesn't even include Kennard becoming a beast and Frank Jackson coming into his own. But injuries, scandal, mediocre defensive coaching, an under-developed bench, and maddening inconsistency led to a disappointing year. The ACC Tournament is a wonderful silver-lining, but it doesn't make up for 9 losses and a second-round exit to a team that can't play offense.

JasonEvans
03-23-2017, 09:24 PM
This is hands-down the most disappoint year as a Duke fan. Given, I've only been a Duke fan since 2003 - and I've been crazy spoiled, mind you - but this year was as close to a "given" in terms of forecasted success.

-The insane returning talent
-The insane recruiting class
-The insane coaching staff

Ok, so just because I was wondering... here are the preseason #1 teams over the past 12 years (along with how many preseason #1 votes they got and how many #1 votes went to other teams). This list also includes their final record and how they did in the tournament. As you can see, this years Duke club was the worst performer of any preseason #1 team, 2013 Indiana is really the only other one that comes close. Oh, and as you can also see, we had one of the highest preseason vote totals of any team on this list.

Preseason #1 teams
2017 – Duke 58-2-4-1 28-9, R32
2016 – UNC 35-10-14-5-1 33-7, Championship game
2015 – Kentucky 52-5-8 38-1, Final Four
2014 – Kentucky 27-22-14-2 29-11, Championship game
2013 – Indiana 43-20-1 29-7, Sweet 16
2012 – UNC 62-1-2 32-6, Elite Eight
2011 – Duke 55-8-2 32-5, Sweet 16
2010 – Kansas 55-5-1-3-1 33-3, R32
2009 – UNC 72 34-4, Champs
2008 – UNC 36-3, Final Four
2007 – Florida 35-5, Champs