PDA

View Full Version : WBB - NCAA Tournament 2nd Round - Duke vs. Oregon

DU82
03-20-2017, 06:31 PM
Second round of the women's tournament ready to go in about ten minutes.

Unfortunately Kyra was confirmed to have an ACL tear. We'll see in a few minutes how the coaches and team react and adjust.

DU82
03-20-2017, 06:39 PM
We're going big to start, with Erin starting for Kyra.

chrishoke
03-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Oregon sliced and diced our zone with ease and coasted to an easy victory. Our only home loss of the year. Becca didn't score till the 4th. Really missed Kyra.

DukieInKansas
03-20-2017, 08:41 PM
Tough way to go out but 2 injuries this week were a bit much to overcome.

Thank you, Blue Devils, for an entertaining season.

dudog84
03-20-2017, 08:46 PM
I don't really care about this game. Still p*##ed about Kyra getting hurt, we weren't going far without her. We would have needed a perfect game with her to beat UConn, no way we could win without her. Also would have had trouble with a Maryland team that has 2 All-Americans without Kyra. I'm almost kinda glad Lexie won't have to face those Maryland fans.

Was surprised we were even close when neither Becca nor Leaonna scored in the first 34 minutes. Really hope both Becca and Lexie come back next year, I believe they can graduate this spring. C'mon girls, get a free Duke Master's Degree. They are both outstanding students, I bet they're back.

MCFinARL
03-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Loss to Oregon not looking so back now that Oregon has beaten 3-seed Maryland by 17 points. Given Duke was missing Lambert their performance was quite respectable, relatively speaking.

CharlestonDave
03-26-2017, 04:09 AM
Not that it really matters because UConn is loaded again , but what kind of a team do we have for next year ? Any star recruit coming ?

I do not follow the woman's team that closely but can someone tell me why Azura Stevens transferred to UConn; wasn't she a star player for us?

Didn't we lose another star player to South Carolina and another who went home to Europe? Why are they transferring and leaving ?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-26-2017, 04:42 AM
Not that it really matters because UConn is loaded again , but what kind of a team do we have for next year ? Any star recruit coming ?

As I understood it, we may not field a team next year, because UConn is supposed to be good.

CharlestonDave
03-26-2017, 08:19 AM
As I understood it, we may not field a team next year, because UConn is supposed to be good.

Not the answer I was looking for but not bad !!!

MCFinARL
03-26-2017, 01:13 PM

I do not follow the woman's team that closely but can someone tell me why Azura Stevens transferred to UConn; wasn't she a star player for us?

Didn't we lose another star player to South Carolina and another who went home to Europe? Why are they transferring and leaving ?

Can't top Mtn.Devil's answer to your first question so I will just move to the later ones. There are many, many posts on the women's team from the last year or two that discuss these transfers in depth. So you can do a search and see what you find. I'm not aware of a South Carolina transfer, though that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Duke did lose Alexis Jones to Baylor, after she had a serious injury that she wanted to rehab closer to home.

GGLC
03-26-2017, 01:52 PM
Can't top Mtn.Devil's answer to your first question so I will just move to the later ones. There are many, many posts on the women's team from the last year or two that discuss these transfers in depth. So you can do a search and see what you find. I'm not aware of a South Carolina transfer, though that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Duke did lose Alexis Jones to Baylor, after she had a serious injury that she wanted to rehab closer to home.

Yeah, that's not why Alexis transferred.

uh_no
03-26-2017, 04:05 PM

:D

the win over UCLA wasn't in doubt, but it wasn't particularly easy by UCONN standards. they pushed the lead up early, and then UCLA largely held serve for the rest of the game. not typical.

If oregon continues to play well, and gets uconn mildly flustered, this could be a tight one. and needless to say, baylor is lurking around the corner, who was winning when they met the first time in 3Q. We'll see who has improved more over the course of the year. FSU should have beat uconn earlier in the year (they had the ball in a tie game and turned it over)....so I'm not sure we're seeing any 40 point blowouts....likely more in the 10 point range, I'd guess....and the % of winning 10 point games is something like 80%. which makes the chance of winning all 3 of them only ~50% (which is pretty much what 538 comes up with as well).

People still assume this uconn team is the same as last year because they keep winning. it's not. yes they keep winning, but some of that is a bit of luck. Next year, they get azura, and a horde of top recruits. oof.

For duke, we have a 6'4 f coming in (#13 overall) and a guard (#20 overall) as well as another 6'4 girl. (#83 overall). So Duke will likely be one of the tallest teams in the country. they could be good if they stay healthy.

that said, uconn will have probably the deepest team they've had in 10 years.

uh_no
03-26-2017, 04:58 PM
Anyone else watch this? Hell of a game. Amazing ending if you haven't watched it.

dukelifer
03-27-2017, 09:06 PM
Anyone else watch this? Hell of a game. Amazing ending if you haven't watched it.
UConn on another level. The definition of program dominance.

uh_no
03-27-2017, 09:28 PM
UConn on another level. The definition of program dominance.

interesting anecdote about him sitting down with the Miss state coach after beating them by 60 last year to discuss how the bulldog's program could get better. Mississippi state just knocked off baylor to make the final four. The point isn't to say "look geno sat down with a guy and now he's a god coach too!" while I'm sure it had some positive effect on the program. I think it's great that

a) geno is completely willing to sit down with his competitors to help make them better. this isn't the only instance either, he has open practices with other coaches where he goes through his philosophy and how he runs practice. I think of this every time people question whether what he does is good for women's basketball. Maybe the constant blowouts aren't, but he says that everyone else needs to get better, and he commits to that by actually trying to help them do that.
b) the mississippi coach was willing to sit down with geno and try to understand how he could be better. that's a massive dose of humility. Much like I was hoping oregon would put up a fight tonight after seeing them in person, and their genuine passion in pressers last week (one word: funiyns), I'm hoping that mississippi state can put up a good game next week. I've been extremely complimentary of P this year, but can't help but contrast the bulldog's coach to her comments when she ended the uconn series (only a LITTLE bit bitter that I don't get to see my huskies every other year...).

the comments that viral about not tolerating bad body language resonated with me as well. I wish more coaches were rewarded for the values they instilled in their players rather than how many wins they got in the tournament.

dukelifer
03-27-2017, 09:47 PM
interesting anecdote about him sitting down with the Miss state coach after beating them by 60 last year to discuss how the bulldog's program could get better. Mississippi state just knocked off baylor to make the final four. The point isn't to say "look geno sat down with a guy and now he's a god coach too!" while I'm sure it had some positive effect on the program. I think it's great that

a) geno is completely willing to sit down with his competitors to help make them better. this isn't the only instance either, he has open practices with other coaches where he goes through his philosophy and how he runs practice. I think of this every time people question whether what he does is good for women's basketball. Maybe the constant blowouts aren't, but he says that everyone else needs to get better, and he commits to that by actually trying to help them do that.
b) the mississippi coach was willing to sit down with geno and try to understand how he could be better. that's a massive dose of humility. Much like I was hoping oregon would put up a fight tonight after seeing them in person, and their genuine passion in pressers last week (one word: funiyns), I'm hoping that mississippi state can put up a good game next week. I've been extremely complimentary of P this year, but can't help but contrast the bulldog's coach to her comments when she ended the uconn series (only a LITTLE bit bitter that I don't get to see my huskies every other year...).

the comments that viral about not tolerating bad body language resonated with me as well. I wish more coaches were rewarded for the values they instilled in their players rather than how many wins they got in the tournament.

Geno has taken all this to another level. He is doing something and it is not just having outstanding talent. The quy knows his business.

killerleft
03-27-2017, 10:31 PM
Yeah, that's not why Alexis transferred.

Great discussion. Now we know.