PDA

View Full Version : Chase Jeter's role next year

scottdude8
03-20-2017, 11:26 AM
Now that the season is (unfortunately) over, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on Chase... I thought his disappearance from the rotation was a subplot to this season that got a bit overshadowed by all the other craziness, but could be a key going forward.

Obviously he had his back issues, but it seemed towards the end of the year that they were mostly resolved and he was dressing for games, even though we saw Vrank get minutes over him and we didn't even see him get garbage minutes. Do we know for certain that Coach K was keeping him out for precautionary injury reasons, or was something else going on? I certainly hope not/don't think so given how great of a teammate he seems to be.

I bring all this up because I think a healthy Jeter with a summer's worth of improvement could be a huge key to next year's team as a productive and experienced big of the bench, something that was lacking this year with Harry's injuries and inconsistency. I still think he could have a Marshall Plumlee like trajectory to his career if I'm not missing something.

FadedTackyShirt
03-20-2017, 11:33 AM
Is Chase eligible for a medical redshirt?

mattman91
03-20-2017, 11:35 AM

doubt it.

Olympic Fan
03-20-2017, 11:36 AM

No. Not even with an appeal ... he played in 16 games (well over the 30 percent limit) and he played two games (FSU and Louisville) in the second half of the season (another no-no).

MChambers
03-20-2017, 11:38 AM

He played in 16 games, so no. But he's got two more years of eligibility, and I expect him to be solidly in the rotation those two years.

Dukehky
03-20-2017, 11:40 AM
I don't think he's going to choose to have a role. But he is in no way eligible for a redshirt for this year.

budwom
03-20-2017, 11:42 AM
Color me stunned (a bright blue) if Jeter comes back, hope I'm wrong.

scottdude8
03-20-2017, 11:50 AM

Seems like you're pessimistic about both Jeter and Bolden... any particular reason why?

jipops
03-20-2017, 11:59 AM
My take is that Jeter was pushed out of the rotation simply because he was not equipped to be in it. After Chase's freshman year I had zero expectation he would be a significant factor at all with Jefferson, Giles, & Bolden coming in with a talent advantage. Now obviously we got minimal production out of Giles and Bolden but I think Chase still doesn't have enough of a div 1 skill set to be a positive factor in games. He certainly does have the opportunity to improve over the summer if he is in fact healthy now. But I think it is realistic to expect him to only serve as spot duty next season... grabbing a few rebounds... hopefully providing some decent rotation D. If for some reason we lose Bolden then that obviously opens things up for him, but I don't think it would be the ideal situation for Duke. Vrank has lots of question marks on D but I believe him to be the superior player overall to Chase. In my opinion Jeter's ceiling in his career at Duke is similar to that of Marshall Plumlee's who became an extremely effective player by his senior year. But Marshall is also a total freak workhorse who worked his butt off harder than anyone to improve. This is not a knock on Jeter at all, it's just that most people aren't wired the way Marshall is.

MCFinARL
03-20-2017, 12:04 PM
Now that the season is (unfortunately) over, I'd love to hear people's thoughts on Chase... I thought his disappearance from the rotation was a subplot to this season that got a bit overshadowed by all the other craziness, but could be a key going forward.

Obviously he had his back issues, but it seemed towards the end of the year that they were mostly resolved and he was dressing for games, even though we saw Vrank get minutes over him and we didn't even see him get garbage minutes. Do we know for certain that Coach K was keeping him out for precautionary injury reasons, or was something else going on? I certainly hope not/don't think so given how great of a teammate he seems to be.

I bring all this up because I think a healthy Jeter with a summer's worth of improvement could be a huge key to next year's team as a productive and experienced big of the bench, something that was lacking this year with Harry's injuries and inconsistency. I still think he could have a Marshall Plumlee like trajectory to his career if I'm not missing something.

Well, I don't think there is any evidence of "something else going on," so the presumption has to be that Chase was either shut down because of his back surgery or in less good shape than Vrank at the end of the season because of his back surgery.

Assuming that is the case, and that Chase understands and accepts why he did not see the court, then I think he could have a reasonably significant role next year, with no Amile and probably no Harry. Early in the season, before his injury, he looked much improved from last year, and that trend could continue with a spring and summer of hard work. A lot may depend on others, of course--what happens with Bolden and whether someone like Mo Bamba chooses Duke (fwiw, Kentucky currently leading for Bamba, according to the 247 Sports crystal ball)--and if Harry Giles chooses to stay another year. Even given any of these scenarios, though, I would think Jeter would have a solid opportunity at least in a backup slot.

luburch
03-20-2017, 12:26 PM
My take is that Jeter was pushed out of the rotation simply because he was not equipped to be in it. After Chase's freshman year I had zero expectation he would be a significant factor at all with Jefferson, Giles, & Bolden coming in with a talent advantage. Now obviously we got minimal production out of Giles and Bolden but I think Chase still doesn't have enough of a div 1 skill set to be a positive factor in games. He certainly does have the opportunity to improve over the summer if he is in fact healthy now. But I think it is realistic to expect him to only serve as spot duty next season... grabbing a few rebounds... hopefully providing some decent rotation D. If for some reason we lose Bolden then that obviously opens things up for him, but I don't think it would be the ideal situation for Duke. Vrank has lots of question marks on D but I believe him to be the superior player overall to Chase. In my opinion Jeter's ceiling in his career at Duke is similar to that of Marshall Plumlee's who became an extremely effective player by his senior year. But Marshall is also a total freak workhorse who worked his butt off harder than anyone to improve. This is not a knock on Jeter at all, it's just that most people aren't wired the way Marshall is.

I wholeheartedly disagree with this assertion.

I thought early in the season Chase should a significant improvement from last season. Heck, even playing on one good ankle he looked like a solid player deserving of rotation minutes. Chase early in the season was better than what we saw out of Giles for most of the year. That's not meant as a knock on Giles, he couldn't help his injury issues either.

I will certainly understand if Jeter decides to move on this summer. Minutes are hard to come by at Duke. If he does decided to return, I think he could play a big part on next year's team.

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2017, 12:28 PM

I thought early in the season Chase should a significant improvement from last season. Heck, even playing on one good ankle he looked like a solid player deserving of rotation minutes. Chase early in the season was better than what we saw out of Giles for most of the year. That's not meant as a knock on Giles, he couldn't help his injury issues either.

I will certainly understand if Jeter decides to move on this summer. Minutes are hard to come by at Duke. If he does decided to return, I think he could play a big part on next year's team.

Let's rephrase that: Minutes are hard to come by at Duke if you are a big man without a jumpshot and there is plenty of competition on the team.

Keep in mind that we have Wendell Carter coming in next year. He's a bigman with a shaky jumper.

mattman91
03-20-2017, 12:30 PM
Let's rephrase that: Minutes are hard to come by at Duke if you are a big man without a jumpshot and there is plenty of competition on the team.

Keep in mind that we have Wendell Carter coming in next year. He's a bigman with a shaky jumper.

All Jeter needs is bigger hangs.

szstark
03-20-2017, 12:40 PM

Amile? Marshall (any of the Plumlees really)? Zoubek? I don't remember any of them having a jump shot. Maybe it's the plenty of competition part I'm missing.

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2017, 12:44 PM
Amile? Marshall (any of the Plumlees really)? Zoubek? I don't remember any of them having a jump shot. Maybe it's the plenty of competition part I'm missing.

My competition point refers to Amile or any of the Plumlees or Zoubek. They WERE the competition and hence played lots of minutes. It was their subs that likely suffered in playing time (Jeter, Giles, Bolden for Amile, Jeter/Vrank for MP3. MP1 and MP2 did play a lot of minutes for Zoub though).

Dukehky
03-20-2017, 12:49 PM

Everything I've seen and read about Wendell is that his midrange jumper is pretty good and that he was doing a lot this year to try and expand that to the 3 point line. I don't think he's there yet, but I think saying his jumper is shaky isn't quite right.

Regarding the other assertion above that Chase doesn't have a D1 skill-set. Disagree. I really like Chase's defensive abilities and think he has some offensive potential once things slow down a little for him and he becomes more used to the physicality of the division, the kid is barely 19. I don't know if we'll see it, but I like Chase and think it's unfortunate he was unable, for whatever reason, to contribute to the team down the stretch.

Love his energy on the bench and his love for his teammates. I know that's not what is really in question here, but I just wanted to point it out.

DukieTiger
03-20-2017, 12:52 PM
Regarding Chase's role, I look for him to really build on his growth this year as a "supportive bench guy" next year during his redshirt season.

Indoor66
03-20-2017, 01:36 PM
Please don't start hyping the next do-all super recruit that no one will outplay. Please allow him to arrive and perform at the high level predicted.

gam7
03-20-2017, 01:42 PM

Agree that next year, he will be a solid back-up. Senior year, I am thinking something along the lines of Landon Lucas of this year.

DukieTiger
03-20-2017, 01:47 PM
Agree that next year, he will be a solid back-up. Senior year, I am thinking something along the lines of Landon Lucas of this year.

I don't think he will consider Kansas.

proelitedota
03-20-2017, 01:57 PM
We have a glaring hole at the 4 next year, even more so than our 1 spot.

Is Jeter quick enough to play the 4 defensively?

On offense, not that worried, can just have both Carter and him crash the glass.

Troublemaker
03-20-2017, 02:02 PM

The "poster dropping cryptic hints" position has already been filled by budwom for awhile. There was only one opening, sorry. If there is any change to the position, it would be the elimination of it, not the addition of a second position.

Bluedog
03-20-2017, 02:10 PM

The "poster dropping cryptic hints" position has already been filled by budwom for awhile. There was only one opening, sorry. If there is any change to the position, it would be the elimination of it, not the addition of a second position.

Just to add to this, if you search Chase Jeter transfer, two of the top hits are: "Does Duke's Chase Jeter Commitment Mean Marshall Plumlee should Transfer?" and "Chase Jeter Will Transfer" from a UNLV board that's from... April of 2016! So, just goes to show you that these rumors don't always play out and we all have no idea until something actually happens. Also, it's a bit funny considering how much Marshall played his last year and demonstrates the often over-evaluation of incoming recruits before they step foot on campus. I personally liked what I saw from Chase at the beginning of this season. We started out pretty strong this year despite Tatum and Giles being out, and the biggest reason besides the emergence of Luke was definitely Chase. He stepped up and I'd expect that he will continue to develop. I don't think he'll ever be an athletic freak or develop a great outside shot, but he definitely showed the ability to rebound and defend and be opportunisitic with his buckets.

wsb3
03-20-2017, 02:11 PM
If Jeter is healthy I won't be shocked if he makes good progress & is in the rotation next year.

jipops
03-20-2017, 02:16 PM

Maybe you just saw something I didn't. The only aspect that I saw that was any semblance of an improvement was he was a bit quicker to react to help side D. But on a per 40 minute basis all his numbers were down this season from last, though on a more limited sample this season. His PER did tick up just a tad. However, his foot work is still pretty bad, he still is not able to finish anything around the rim when defended, and he hasn't shown the ability to rebound in traffic.

I think the best bet for Chase is to devote himself physically, bulk up, and become an energy guy. He's not going to be the type of player that K draws up plays for. But he does possess just enough athleticism where if he adds more strength he can be a decent defender and rebounder.

yancem
03-20-2017, 02:29 PM
I think that Jeter has quite a bit of potential and is more than capable of being a solid player for Duke. I hope his disappearance was totally due to his back because I can't come up with any other logical reason that ends in him in a Duke jersey next year. From what I have seen on other boards, his return isn't very likely though. It would be very nice to have one of Jeter/Bolden healthy and in uniform next year but I'm not all that hopeful. This season got majorly sidetracked and I'm afraid there is going to be fallout. Hopefully I'm wrong because both those guys would be very helpful anchoring our D next fall.

Edouble
03-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Everything I've seen and read about Wendell is that his midrange jumper is pretty good and that he was doing a lot this year to try and expand that to the 3 point line. I don't think he's there yet, but I think saying his jumper is shaky isn't quite right.

He was bombing threes the night I saw him play. And I would say that his jumper is a work in progress.

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2017, 02:43 PM
He was bombing threes the night I saw him play. And I would say that his jumper is a work in progress.

Bombing threes = making threes or missing them completely? I think it can do either way....

DukieTiger
03-20-2017, 02:57 PM

Ok...

I am not trying to drop cryptic hints or rumor monger (sorry Kedsy) but just applying logic to the situation.

Ultrarunner
03-20-2017, 03:21 PM
If Jeter is healthy I won't be shocked if he makes good progress & is in the rotation next year.
If Jeter is healthy, I expect him to battle for a starting position based on the improvement he's already made as a defender and the reasonable projection of continued improvement.

bob blue devil
03-20-2017, 03:26 PM
Ok...

I am not trying to drop cryptic hints or rumor monger (sorry Kedsy) but just applying logic to the situation.

is your "logic" based on inside information or is it really just baseless speculation? because, i can assure you, the public info is completely devoid of something substantive enough to apply logic to.

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2017, 03:38 PM
A lot of rumor mongering here. If we can manage that better, that would be awesome.

But please don't close this thread. I think Chase Jeter is a very interesting subject right now, as long as we stay away from rumors.

Thanks mods.

FDD

DukieTiger
03-20-2017, 03:39 PM
is your "logic" based on inside information or is it really just baseless speculation? because, i can assure you, the public info is completely devoid of something substantive enough to apply logic to.

It's based on Chase's playing time, and lack thereof when he returned from injury. And it's based upon the conspicuous absence of Chase's name when K mentioned his big men from February onward.

But... I will apologize and bow out of this discussion. I'm clearly emotionally charged and my pessimism about keeping Chase around is only made worse by the fact that I think he would (or will) turn into a fantastic player for Duke. I also think he has been a fantastic, positive teammate while not playing much this year, so I hate to think about losing him. I'm sure that frustration has not made my recent posts helpful and for that I apologize. I won't chime in any more here, at least until I can remove my pessimism from the equation.

NashvilleDevil
03-20-2017, 03:51 PM

You seem to have no problem dropping these cryptic notes re: Jeter and Bolden but have offered zero support when posters have asked you about any information you may have. Please stop the rumor mongering.

Lauderdevil
03-20-2017, 04:14 PM
My take is that Jeter was pushed out of the rotation simply because he was not equipped to be in it. After Chase's freshman year I had zero expectation he would be a significant factor at all [. . .] I think Chase still doesn't have enough of a div 1 skill set to be a positive factor in games. He certainly does have the opportunity to improve over the summer if he is in fact healthy now. But I think it is realistic to expect him to only serve as spot duty next season... grabbing a few rebounds... hopefully providing some decent rotation D.

In various other threads here and on every Duke board today, there is discussion of whether the one-and-done approach is working out. I'd just note that people shouldn't decry one-and-dones on the one hand and also complain that someone like Chase Jeter isn't ready to contribute significantly on the other. He's exactly the kind of player who drives programs like Wisconsin and Villanova -- by getting experience and playing time freshman and sophomore years, getting double-digit minutes junior year, and becoming central for his senior year. I'd love to have more like him, not to the exclusion of the big stars but as a supplement and, one day, a big brother to them, the way Amile and Matt were this year.

Now, whether all this is enough for Chase himself -- i.e, whether he wants to start fresh in another program -- I guess we'll see. I sure hope he stays. But for the Duke program, it's very valuable to have a guy like Chase develop over time.

And, by the way, I personally think he can be at least as effective as Marshall was by his senior year, with a chance to be significantly better.

Channing
03-20-2017, 04:16 PM
You seem to have no problem dropping these cryptic notes re: Jeter and Bolden but have offered zero support when posters have asked you about any information you may have. Please stop the rumor mongering.

clearly he has tapp someone's phones

CDu
03-20-2017, 04:29 PM
Here's the DBR definition (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?21833-Decorum-amp-Posting-Guidelines-(Please-read-before-posting!)&p=423516#post423516) of "rumor mongering":

So that's why.

To be fair, I think there is a gray area here. If someone says "I heard ..." without a source, that's rumor-mongering. If someone says, "I would be surprised if...", that's an opinion. I personally don't think that is really rumor mongering. It's quite clear to me that the poster is just posting his opinion. Sort of like someone saying "I'd be surprised if we play a 9-man rotation next year."

Now, it is a gray area mainly because it involves the "T" word. But I don't think it is actually rumor mongering to state one's personal opinion.

Of course, I am not a moderator on this board. They can define rumor mongering however they want to.

SkyBrickey
03-20-2017, 04:41 PM
Think about the leap Marshall made between his Junior and Senior years. Think about the leap Amile made before last season (when unfortunately he got hurt) which carried forward into this year. Think about the leap Zoubek made for his Senior year and title run. In Chase's limited minutes earlier this season, I felt like he looked every bit as good as a Soph Marshall or Zoubek.

A lot of big men just take more time to build up their bodies and their skill sets. I think Jeter, and Bolden, are both on this track and will have outstanding Duke careers and a great shot at NBA contracts if they stick it out and work hard. Bolden is a bit more reserved and a tougher read, but Chase really seems like he loves Duke and loves the team. Really hoping he stays at Duke, works hard, earns his way into the rotation and becomes a key starter his Senior year. Those are the guys we all love rooting for.

flyingdutchdevil
03-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Think about the leap Marshall made between his Junior and Senior years. Think about the leap Amile made before last season (when unfortunately he got hurt) which carried forward into this year. Think about the leap Zoubek made for his Senior year and title run. In Chase's limited minutes earlier this season, I felt like he looked every bit as good as a Soph Marshall or Zoubek.

A lot of big men just take more time to build up their bodies and their skill sets. I think Jeter, and Bolden, are both on this track and will have outstanding Duke careers and a great shot at NBA contracts if they stick it out and work hard. Bolden is a bit more reserved and a tougher read, but Chase really seems like he loves Duke and loves the team. Really hoping he stays at Duke, works hard, earns his way into the rotation and becomes a key starter his Senior year. Those are the guys we all love rooting for.

I like this post.

Jeter is a slow developer. That goes without saying. Injuries this year didn't help, but I love his attitude (and not so much his hands). I think he was the 2nd best post defender after Amile. He doesn't have a lot of NBA potential, but who cares. Giles and Bolden have a ton more, but they haven't had the impact that Jeter has (and yes, Jeter hasn't had much of an impact either).

But Jeter has solid size and is learning the game. He's old-school, both in terms of style and how he develops. Big men develop slower, and Jeter shows that. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

I look forward to Jeter being the first 4/5 off the bench next year, especially if Knox comes and the starting front court is Knox/Carter.

CDu
03-20-2017, 06:36 PM
I like this post.

Jeter is a slow developer. That goes without saying. Injuries this year didn't help, but I love his attitude (and not so much his hands). I think he was the 2nd best post defender after Amile. He doesn't have a lot of NBA potential, but who cares. Giles and Bolden have a ton more, but they haven't had the impact that Jeter has (and yes, Jeter hasn't had much of an impact either).

But Jeter has solid size and is learning the game. He's old-school, both in terms of style and how he develops. Big men develop slower, and Jeter shows that. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

I look forward to Jeter being the first 4/5 off the bench next year, especially if Knox comes and the starting front court is Knox/Carter.

I respectfully disagree with the bolded part. Giles had games of 10 points, 12 rebounds, and a block (in just 17 minutes) against GT, 7/6/2 in 19 minutes against Louisville, 8/7/1 in 14 minutes against State, and 6/7/4 in 15 minutes against UNC. Jeter simply hasn't had as many games like that at Duke despite playing twice as many games.

Giles' production relative to his recruiting rank hasn't been great. But he has had more impact than Jeter. Giles averaged nearly 4 points and 4 rebounds per game in under 12 mpg as a freshman. Jeter averaged under 3 and 3 in almost 15 mpg as a sophomore.

Turk
03-20-2017, 07:37 PM
We won't be able to determine Chase Jeter's role until summer pickup games start. Then, we can confidently predict that Chase will be ACC MVP and / or NPOY candidate.

SkyBrickey
03-20-2017, 09:20 PM
dutchdevil, I remember thinking Marshall had the worst hands of any big man at Duke with the exception of maybe Casey Sanders. Then he began to build confidence his junior year. I seem to remember a game where he had 5 alley-oops, mostly from Tyus. And by senior year, his hands were downright respectable. And more importantly, he played like an absolute beast inside and milked every ounce of his talent.

And Zoubek's and even Amile's development were on similar tracks during their careers.

Let's hope for the same trajectory for Chase. I think it's very possible, and even likely, if he sticks it out for 4 years.

And I'm hoping for a little faster jump for Bolden - even into the starting lineup next year. I just keep coming back to the report that he was on-track to be in the starting 5 at the beginning of the year before he got hurt. And I saw firsthand flashes of tremendous potential out of him in a few of his brief appearances.

JNort
03-21-2017, 11:29 AM
I think Chase has plenty of talent and we have seen flashes of it. I like his drop step and his willingness to attempt hook shots. His energy and heart on the court are also a big plus. O and his shot blocking doesn't seem to bad either.

Many on here just have crazy expectations and it's ridiculous to expect some of these guys to meet them. I think he is completely capable of having an Amile Jefferson or Marshall Plumlee type senior season next year or the year after.