PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. South Carolina (R32, 8:40 ET, TNT)

Pages : [1] 2

pfrduke
03-17-2017, 11:56 PM
Glorified road game. Step two of six. Let's do this.

uh_no
03-17-2017, 11:59 PM
Glorified road game. Step two of six. Let's do this.

whoa whoa whoa....a bit early yet :)

shame for WOJO.

but many a tournament winner has won in effective road games. it'll be no different for us. DDMF. GTHC.

gam7
03-18-2017, 12:00 AM
Paging Matt Jones... #0. He is yours.

BLPOG
03-18-2017, 12:02 AM
whoa whoa whoa...a bit early yet :)

shame for WOJO.

but many a tournament winner has won in effective road games. it'll be no different for us. DDMF. GTHC.

2010 title game comes to mind

flyingdutchdevil
03-18-2017, 12:02 AM
Tatum. All i have to say. Tatum.

SCMatt33
03-18-2017, 12:04 AM
It'll be interesting to see how much of that offensive explosion they can carry through to Sunday. South Carolina is a legitimately bad offensive team (outside KenPom top 150), but Marquette is also a legitimately bad defensive team (also outside KenPom top 150). I think the big key is taking care of the ball on offense. Marquette took care of it in the first half and had a lead. They turned it over a bunch in the second and the wheels came off.

Gooch
03-18-2017, 12:07 AM
It'll be interesting to see how much of that offensive explosion they can carry through to Sunday. South Carolina is a legitimately bad offensive team (outside KenPom top 150), but Marquette is also a legitimately bad defensive team (also outside KenPom top 150). I think the big key is taking care of the ball on offense. Marquette took care of it in the first half and had a lead. They turned it over a bunch in the second and the wheels came off.

Agree with this. Marquette lost the lead and seemed rattled. I like that we have proven ourselves after getting behind (although I hope we don't have to prove it again!)

tbyers11
03-18-2017, 12:20 AM
Late game on Sunday night

https://twitter.com/MattNorlander/status/842953514632593408

UNC game at 6:10, Duke game about 8:40pm

gam7
03-18-2017, 12:21 AM

This is no small task. South Carolina is 4th in the country in defensive turnover percentage - they have forced turnovers on almost 25% of possessions.

Of course, our offensive turnover rate is not too shabby - we are 32nd in the country - roughly 16%.

brevity
03-18-2017, 12:24 AM

According to the NCAA schedule page (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/march-madness-dates-schedule-times-key-numbers-2017-ncaa) I posted in the live thread, that should put both Greenville games on TNT.

ETA:

NCAA March Madness (https://twitter.com/marchmadness/status/842954830478016512) @marchmadness

2nd round Sunday (ET)

12:10 Louisville v Michigan
Then Kentucky v Wichita St

5:15 Kansas v Michigan St
Then Baylor v USC

6:10 North Carolina v Arkansas
Then Duke v South Carolina

7:10 Oregon v Rhode Island
Then UCLA v Cincinnati

9:24 PM - 17 Mar 2017

BlueDevilBrowns
03-18-2017, 12:24 AM

This is a good thing, IMO...

Most CHeat fans will head home after their game, win or lose.

And IF by chance they do lose, that place will be emptied ASAP.

duke09hms
03-18-2017, 12:25 AM

Doubtful, if they win, they're definitely sticking around to root against Duke.

uh_no
03-18-2017, 12:25 AM
bring 'em on! We didn't lose tonight, and we're not losing on sunday!

davekay1971
03-18-2017, 12:28 AM

Yep. Count this as an away game in front of a hostile crowd. The UNCheat fans will definitely stay for the Duke game to cheer against Duke, and, of course, we're playing Carolina (the real one) on their home turf.

Our guys, fortunately, are used to that sort of thing.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 12:31 AM
All the 2 seeds have a tough draw:

[2] Duke vs [7] SoCar (road game)
[2] Kentucky vs [10] Wichita St (#5 kenpom team)
[2] Louisville vs [7] Michigan (red hot Wolverines)
[2] Arizona vs [7] St. Mary's (#14 kenpom team)

I wouldn't trade with anyone. (The closest I would come is trading for St. Mary's, but in the end, I'd take the road game against SC).

gam7
03-18-2017, 12:37 AM

I wouldn't trade with anyone. (The closest I would come is trading for St. Mary's, but in the end, I'd take the road game against SC).

I like our chances, but I would take St. Mary's in a heartbeat. They will be physically overmatched, and will be beaten comfortably by Arizona.

Kedsy
03-18-2017, 12:41 AM

Yeah, according to Pomeroy, we have the most favorable draw, even after adding SC's home court advantage.

Furniture
03-18-2017, 12:46 AM

i definitely agree. If it was Saturday it's another thing.

rsvman
03-18-2017, 12:49 AM
I like our chances, but I would take St. Mary's in a heartbeat.

Me, too.

gofurman
03-18-2017, 01:15 AM

It is a road game. I was there tonight. Chants across the building of "game"... "Cocks" etc. it might have well as been in Columbia. Immediately after winning gamecock fans were asking for tickets for Sunday.

I was told to pull for USC based on their offensive woes. Based on the crowd I saw in person and the USC offense i saw... I was pullin' hard for Marquette. Marquette was completely out of sorts based on the USC D in second half. The two great items were supposed to be the Marquette O vs the vaunted USC D. Well, the Marquette O wilted. Marquette O was crud once the gamecocks brought some heat and really hit the passing lanes.

The gamecock D really impressed. Reminded me of our D in some years. Extended far. Passing lanes. Marquette couldn't get anything going in the second half.

We will need to cut back door and drive hard as the defenders come running at shooters. Also take care of the ball ! And that is not easy. USC is top 5 in D. This team is not a joke. They always have D. They are scary when they have O like tonight. Most of USC games are 70-65. They were hitting all these floaters and beating up Marquette inside - when a team w great D is hitting on O it gets real dicey.

Please don't lose this. Credit to USC. That was a good team effort played tonight. But please win Duke. I live here.

gam7
03-18-2017, 01:23 AM
The gamecock D really impressed. Reminded me of our D in some years. Extended far. Passing lanes. Marquette couldn't get anything going in the second half.

Thank goodness we don't have a pass-first point guard! :)

indy1duke
03-18-2017, 01:46 AM
As a '71 Duke grad I have lots of bad memories of the NY pipeline of players that Frank McGuire turned loose on the ACC. Roche, Owens, Cremins, and Ribock (the enforcer). They were a mean and nasty team (probably not Bobby). Duke's hate for USC approached its dislike for the cheaters. They left the ACC, purportedly because they could not abide the 800 requirement for total SAT scores from math and English (minimum of 200 apiece). I am sorry they left. I think we owe them some payback. I would be pleased if we begin collecting tomorrow with all their fans in attendance along with the cheat fans helping them. So it's an away game with lots of Duke fans. I will there. Bring them on. Go Duke.

BandAlum83
03-18-2017, 03:58 AM
Go Duke!!!

Reilly
03-18-2017, 06:01 AM
The Steve Spurrier Showdown. The Mike McGee Matchup. The Kurt Roper Classic.

Have we played South Carolina in hoops since they left the ACC?

slower
03-18-2017, 06:25 AM
I had forgotten that these guys were coached by Psycho Frank Martin. Is he still, uh, intense?

hsheffield
03-18-2017, 06:40 AM
As a '71 Duke grad I have lots of bad memories of the NY pipeline of players that Frank McGuire turned loose on the ACC. Roche, Owens, Cremins, and Ribock (the enforcer). They were a mean and nasty team (probably not Bobby). Duke's hate for USC approached its dislike for the cheaters. They left the ACC, purportedly because they could not abide the 800 requirement for total SAT scores from math and English (minimum of 200 apiece). I am sorry they left. I think we owe them some payback. I would be pleased if we begin collecting tomorrow with all their fans in attendance along with the cheat fans helping them. So it's an away game with lots of Duke fans. I will there. Bring them on. Go Duke.

now, now. in South Carolina they told us USC left the ACC because Frank McGuire wanted to be able to go to the NCAA. only the ACC tournament winner was invited in those days. e.g. in 1970 the Gamecocks were 25-3 and ranked in the top 10 but lost in the tournament (Roche was hurt.) Season over.

btw, as a South Carolinian, I didn't think they were mean or nasty at all:o

but now I'm a North Carolinian and a Duke grad who thinks Christian Laettner was great. So is Grayson Allen.

LGD!!

Reilly
03-18-2017, 06:47 AM
It's a shame Bill Foster died a little more than a year ago ... Duke playing South Carolina, and Northwestern in the round of 32.

Bob Green
03-18-2017, 07:07 AM
Have we played South Carolina in hoops since they left the ACC?

Duke beat #10 South Carolina 82-71 on February 1, 1971:

http://goduke.statsgeek.com/basketball-m/games/boxscore.php?gameid=19710201

I am not 100 percent certain but I believe that was the last time the two schools played against each other.

gocanes0506
03-18-2017, 07:14 AM
The big wins on the road makes me feel better about this potentially being a 75% anti Duke crowd. But I am a little worried when coupled with a potential illness issue in the locker room.

Frank Martin is a product of Bob Huggins. His team are fierce defenders but struggle on offense at times. The benefit that Duke has that most teams that play USC, they have atleast 3 guys on the floor at any time that can handle the ball. I hope we see more ball movement inside and cuts to the baskets than we saw against Troy. Long shots and hero ball plays right into their D and will allow them to get into transition.

arnie
03-18-2017, 07:16 AM
now, now. in South Carolina they told us USC left the ACC because Frank McGuire wanted to be able to go to the NCAA. only the ACC tournament winner was invited in those days. e.g. in 1970 the Gamecocks were 25-3 and ranked in the top 10 but lost in the tournament (Roche was hurt.) Season over.

btw, as a South Carolinian, I didn't think they were mean or nasty at all:o

but now I'm a North Carolinian and a Duke grad who thinks Christian Laettner was great. So is Grayson Allen.

LGD!!

Not really accurate, it was a football driven decision to leave the ACC. Dietzel thought he could build a independent power at SC, of course he was wrong. McGuire was disappointed they left the ACC and their Bball has suffered ever since.

slower
03-18-2017, 07:19 AM
Yep, with Frank Martin as the coach, you can bet these guys are going to be VERY physical and "intense." Grayson, in particular, needs to control his emotions, because I'm sure he will be tested. Will undoubtedly be an extremely hostile environment. Extremely.

Saratoga2
03-18-2017, 07:35 AM
Yep, with Frank Martin as the coach, you can bet these guys are going to be VERY physical and "intense." Grayson, in particular, needs to control his emotions, because I'm sure he will be tested. Will undoubtedly be an extremely hostile environment. Extremely.

So far in the tournament, a lot more bumping inside has been allowed so shooters have trouble in the front court. We can expect a lot of that from USC.

Brockt10
03-18-2017, 08:10 AM
So far in the tournament, a lot more bumping inside has been allowed so shooters have trouble in the front court. We can expect a lot of that from USC.

Noticed this, too. There were several plays in our game, all games for that matter, I was waiting for a whistle that never came. I don't have an issue with it as long as it's consistent.

It is a recurring theme in the NCAA. As the year progresses, fouls are called more loosely.

Lunchab1es
03-18-2017, 08:13 AM
I had forgotten that these guys were coached by Psycho Frank Martin. Is he still, uh, intense?

He practically ripped the arm off of one of his assistants who got too far out onto the floor during play. When he pulls a player, you can watch him bark at them all the way to the end of the bench. The man is super intense and intimidating.

I was at the game last night, and that crowd was PUMPED. The SC fans are super excited to be there and not have they shown up. Combine them with the UNC fans who will stay to hate-watch us, and this is all but a true road game.

Dozier and obviously Thornwell are two players that could give us problems. I found Kotsar to be very unimpressive, so I would expect Amile or Giles to be able to defend the interior well, grab some good boards, and maybe score a bit more than usual. They didn't play a particularly deep bench either, with only two bench players reaching double figure minutes.

We should win this one, but I fully expect an electric opposing crowd with a few "uh oh" moments when momentum swings fully in the gamecocks favor. Not a good draw, but we'll need to beat better teams than them on the way to the final four.

Indoor66
03-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Not really accurate, it was a football driven decision to leave the ACC. Dietzel thought he could build a independent power at SC, of course he was wrong. McGuire was disappointed they left the ACC and their Bball has suffered ever since.

Good old Pepsodent Paul, the old Chinese Bandit. He Came, He Saw, He Failed.

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 08:36 AM

Late night - they will head home

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2017, 08:42 AM
This one has me extremely nervous. I'm hoping that SC's offensive production is an outlier but I won't be shocked if they repeat that performance with a home crowd and them playing Duke. I also hope that what ever bug Duke has is at the end and not starting. This one is going to be extremely tough and I'm having flashbacks to the West Virginia game 2008.

I would still like the committee to explain how a 7 seed got such a favorable pod.

CharlestonDave
03-18-2017, 08:47 AM
Yep. Count this as an away game in front of a hostile crowd. The UNCheat fans will definitely stay for the Duke game to cheer against Duke, and, of course, we're playing Carolina (the real one) on their home turf.

Our guys, fortunately, are used to that sort of thing.

We are the only number 2 seed playing on a non neutral court . UVA, Xavier and Cinn are also playing on non-neutral courts but they are playing against a higher seed unlike Duke.

I know that the committee likes to have teams play close to home in the first 2 rounds but I guess in all fairness they should have switched the Villanova half with the Duke half.

Indoor66
03-18-2017, 08:52 AM
We are the only number 2 seed playing on a non neutral court . UVA, Xavier and Cinn are also playing on non-neutral courts but they are playing against a higher seed unlike Duke.

I know that the committee likes to have teams play close to home in the first 2 rounds but I guess in all fairness they should have switched the Villanova half with the Duke half.

It's Over.

davekay1971
03-18-2017, 08:55 AM

The "close to home" thing backfires for Duke when UNC is good enough to also get placed "close to home". That puts them in the same arena for the first two rounds, and we've seen in the past how that affects the crowd.

It's gonna sound like a bad anti-Duke joke to say this...but when UNC is awarded "close to home" status, the only way to give Duke "close to home" status in the first two rounds is to put us in New York. Let's be honest: if Duke was playing USC in Madison Square Garden tomorrow, how do you think that would change the crowd dynamics?

Still, as I noted earlier, I think our players, at this point, are pretty darned good and handling a hostile crowd.

wavedukefan70s
03-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Im surprised the usc fans are showing up.i have been to games in columbia where you can buy seats up high and sit low.
Anyways we need to take care of buisness.play smart .hopefully the game will be called a little tighter.Go Duke.

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 09:09 AM
This one has me extremely nervous. I'm hoping that SC's offensive production is an outlier but I won't be shocked if they repeat that performance with a home crowd and them playing Duke. I also hope that what ever bug Duke has is at the end and not starting. This one is going to be extremely tough and I'm having flashbacks to the West Virginia game 2008.

I would still like the committee to explain how a 7 seed got such a favorable pod.

The North Carolina Legislature tied their hands.

KandG
03-18-2017, 09:19 AM

Yeah, the SC-Marquette game was one of the most extreme cases of "styles makes fights". South Carolina's offensive explosion against Marquette's terrible D hopefully won't be replicated against us.

Statistically, the Gamecocks' defense really is elite. Third overall in the country by KenPom, 16th in D-1 on eFG% allowed in non-transition opportunities (44.2%), 17th in eFG% allowed in transition opportunities (47.6%). Duke is actually comparable in being stingy in non-transition eFG% allowed (44.5%) and is 21st in the country, but horrific in transition eFG% allowed (59.2%) and 309th in the country.

But the Gamecocks, as everyone's pointed out multiple times, are incredibly bad on offense. The only offensive category where they occupy the top tier is % of shots that are 2 point jumpers (21st in the country) -- not the sign of a quality offense. They're 243rd in % of shots that are 3 pointers, 323rd in % of shots at the rim. Bottom third (or worse) in the country in eFG% in transition and non-transition. (Duke, needless to say, is top tier in shooting percentages in the same situations).

South Carolina is outstanding on the offensive glass and they get opportunities by turning the opponent over and getting in transition. Our strong isolation tendencies have the potential to help us a little as long as we take care of the ball, as we can take advantage of their tendency to play passing lanes aggressively.

One thing I'm a bit nervous about is how loose or tight the whistle will be. Against UNC and Louisville, we got beat up on the glass and fell behind, but were able to come back by drawing fouls and getting to the line. If they allow SC to bump us a lot more and dictate the pace, it could be an unnervingly tight game which will test the composure of some of our guys.

(Also, if we're going to get to the line, it would be nice not to give up points at the FT line like we did against Troy in missing the front end of four one-and-ones. But now I'm just finding any reason to worry more...)

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 09:22 AM

If SC scores 90 - Duke is in big trouble or something bad happened. Duke will have to earn this one. Need to be smart with the ball and limit the TO's in the open court. SC has a great guard in Thornwell and they go as he goes. Jones will need to do his thing.

ns7
03-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Duke beat USC in the Maui Invitational in 2001.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/boxscore?id=9381

Rich
03-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Yeah, the SC-Marquette game was one of the most extreme cases of "styles makes fights". South Carolina's offensive explosion against Marquette's terrible D hopefully won't be replicated against us.

Statistically, the Gamecocks' defense really is elite. Third overall in the country by KenPom, 16th in D-1 on eFG% allowed in non-transition opportunities (44.2%), 17th in eFG% allowed in transition opportunities (47.6%). Duke is actually comparable in being stingy in non-transition eFG% allowed (44.5%) and is 21st in the country, but horrific in transition eFG% allowed (59.2%) and 309th in the country.

But the Gamecocks, as everyone's pointed out multiple times, are incredibly bad on offense. The only offensive category where they occupy the top tier is % of shots that are 2 point jumpers (21st in the country) -- not the sign of a quality offense. They're 243rd in % of shots that are 3 pointers, 323rd in % of shots at the rim. Bottom third (or worse) in the country in eFG% in transition and non-transition. (Duke, needless to say, is top tier in shooting percentages in the same situations).

South Carolina is outstanding on the offensive glass and they get opportunities by turning the opponent over and getting in transition. Our strong isolation tendencies have the potential to help us a little as long as we take care of the ball, as we can take advantage of their tendency to play passing lanes aggressively.

One thing I'm a bit nervous about is how loose or tight the whistle will be. Against UNC and Louisville, we got beat up on the glass and fell behind, but were able to come back by drawing fouls and getting to the line. If they allow SC to bump us a lot more and dictate the pace, it could be an unnervingly tight game which will test the composure of some of our guys.

(Also, if we're going to get to the line, it would be nice not to give up points at the FT line like we did against Troy in missing the front end of four one-and-ones. But now I'm just finding any reason to worry more...)

For those of you who like to dive into stats, is there any one ACC team somewhat equivalent to South Carolina?

I'll be honest, I'd feel a helluva lot better if this wasn't a true road game. The 2nd half of last night's game sounded raucous, and I'm not sure the UNC fans were even in the building at that point. Playing a road game vs a neutral site game is a big time difference. I really think the committee should've taken into account the move to Greenville and USC should have been forced out of this pod as a 7 seed. No #1 or #2 seed should be put at such a disadvantage in the first 2 rounds. In fact, isn't the whole reason for the pod system so that higher seeds have a close-to-home advantage?

ns7
03-18-2017, 09:39 AM
For those of you who like to dive into stats, is there any one ACC team somewhat equivalent to South Carolina?

Georgia Tech has a similar offense-defense efficiency split. SC is better at both though.

chriso
03-18-2017, 09:42 AM
bring 'em on! We didn't lose tonight, and we're not losing on sunday!

Agreed. This ain't North Carolina. If we play our game, especially if Grayson plays well again, we advance. So nice to have a comfortable lead yesterday. Proud of our boys. Hope Lonzo Ball is okay. Every year there is a hot team everyone touts who loses in the first round. SMU. Tom Izzo is either the best tournament coach other than K or a terrible regular season coach. I like Izzo so I'll say the former. If Vrank was highly rated in high school we'd be screaming for more playing time for him. At least I would. Heard Bolden has the flu, if he comes back to Duke he'll be the most improved player in America. Hang in there Marques! Just random thoughts, morning friends so pleased with our win and Matt's shooting!:)

Bob Green
03-18-2017, 09:44 AM
Duke beat USC in the Maui Invitational in 2001.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-basketball/boxscore?id=9381

Thanks for the correction!

Indoor66
03-18-2017, 09:44 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

duke09hms
03-18-2017, 09:53 AM

You underestimate the power of the dark side of the Force.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 10:02 AM
I'm hoping that SC's offensive production is an outlier but I won't be shocked if they repeat that performance with a home crowd and them playing Duke.

I'd be pretty darn surprised if they repeated that performance. They haven't had offensive output like that (even at home) since November when they were playing against Holy Cross and South Carolina St.

There's no ACC team that's a great comparison. Florida St comes closest because they pressure the ball far out and play passing lanes.

As a comparison, UVA doesn't work because they play a containment defense. Georgia Tech doesn't work because they mostly play zone. Louisville and Miami don't work because they'll switch between man and zone. Every other ACC team is an offense-first team.

South Carolina will be 40 minutes of in-your-face, man2man defense.

superdave
03-18-2017, 10:10 AM

Yeah, the wine, the cheese, the sweater vests. They will go home. SC fans will be in effect though.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 10:12 AM
The sky is falling, the sky is falling.

There is a lot of recency bias happening. And I mean REALLY recent. Like, "I only watched the 2nd half of SC-Marquette, and now I think SC is a top-10 team" recent.

Duke won't rattle as easily as Marquette. And, in a tournament setting, Coach K is very good at disrupting an opponent's momentum when they get on a roll. Against Louisville, it was the zone. Against UNC, it was using Amile fullcourt to slow and trap UNC's point guard on makes. Against Notre Dame, it was a zone press and going to a straight dropback on pick-and-roll.

Channing
03-18-2017, 10:13 AM
I don't recall much ball screen on offensive for USCs nor a blow by-ability. It looked to be largely in transition off steals and offensive rebounds. Thornwell was legit, but everyone else seemed to score on little floaters or broken plays. If good Frank and good Grayson show up in the backcourt I like our chances.

I could see the zone being useful in this one.

Reilly
03-18-2017, 10:14 AM
Given concerns about the crowd, folks are saying there would be value in playing a tournament in Greensboro?

chriso
03-18-2017, 10:17 AM
Given concerns about the crowd, folks are saying there would be value in playing a tournament in Greensboro?

We need Gene Hackman to come out and measure the court. Yup, it's the same. We're battle tested. Let's go Duke!:cool:

budwom
03-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Yeah, the wine, the cheese, the sweater vests. They will go home. SC fans will be in effect though.

LOL at the sweater vest reference...what's with those things anyway? Seems highly regional to me...

superdave
03-18-2017, 10:26 AM
LOL at the sweater vest reference...what's with those things anyway? Seems highly regional to me...

The sweater vest crowd at the Dean Dome is extremely uptight. They wear those things to the beach in the summer.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 10:27 AM
Honestly guys, just being able to slap Matt Jones onto Thornwell will make all the difference in the world between Duke and Marqutte. On average, Thornwell is SC's only good offensive player (albeit very good). Matt has to be careful not to be overly aggressive, though. Thornwell is terrific at drawing fouls.

It will be tough for Duke to lose this game unless our offense cooperates with too many turnovers. I'd have been more worried about this matchup in the early part of the ACC season when we were coughing the ball up a lot, but I think we're a better passing and decision-making team now.

Protect the ball, defensive rebound reasonably, get back in transition reasonably. SC needs the extra possessions and easy baskets to compete.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-18-2017, 10:30 AM
This one is going to be extremely tough and I'm having flashbacks to the West Virginia game 2008.

We're a better team than that 2008 Duke squad(especially how we're peaking right now while the 2008 team limped to the finish, barely defeating Belmont in the 1st round).

Further, 2008 WV was better than 2016 South Carolina.

With Tatum, Jackson, Kennard, and Allen... We can drive the ball, shoot the three, and get S.Carolina in foul trouble, limiting their defensive effectiveness.

I really like our chances in this game.

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 10:37 AM
Honestly guys, just being able to slap Matt Jones onto Thornwell will make all the difference in the world between Duke and Marqutte. On average, Thornwell is SC's only good offensive player (albeit very good). Matt has to be careful not to be overly aggressive, though. Thornwell is terrific at drawing fouls.

It will be tough for Duke to lose this game unless our offense cooperates with too many turnovers. I'd have been more worried about this matchup in the early part of the ACC season when we were coughing the ball up a lot, but I think we're a better passing and decision-making team now.

Protect the ball, defensive rebound reasonably, get back in transition reasonably. SC needs the extra possessions and easy baskets to compete.

And it helps that Matt has found some offense again.

curtis325
03-18-2017, 10:40 AM
Duke is better than Carolina. Both of them. Combined.

gocanes0506
03-18-2017, 10:40 AM
And it helps that Matt has found some offense again.

That is real important because it opens up the O and requires their best O player to tire his legs playing D. No more hiding their best O player on Matt.

MChambers
03-18-2017, 10:41 AM
I think Grayson and Frank got those out of their system, or so I hope. Ice water from here on.

davekay1971
03-18-2017, 10:45 AM

Hey! I resemble that remark.

Huge difference though: Greenville, SC is convenient venue chosen by the NCAA because of Political-Issue-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named in North Carolina. Greensboro, on the other hand, is the historical heart of the ACC Tournament. Yeah, I'd take the rabidly pro-UNC crowd at Greensboro for the sake of honoring the incredible tradition that built the ACC over Jim Boeheim's love of yellow cabs and walking in the shadows of very tall buildings.

I'm not quibbling with the choice of Greenville as a venue. Just noting that plopping Duke there with UNC and USC in the same venue at the same time isn't exactly giving a 2-seed home court advantage. Our guys will just have to play through it, the same way they play though the hostile crowd at Greensboro during the ACC Tournament.

tteettimes
03-18-2017, 10:50 AM
Early line----Duke fav by 7

Saratoga2
03-18-2017, 10:55 AM
Hey! I resemble that remark.

Huge difference though: Greenville, SC is convenient venue chosen by the NCAA because of Political-Issue-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named in North Carolina. Greensboro, on the other hand, is the historical heart of the ACC Tournament. Yeah, I'd take the rabidly pro-UNC crowd at Greensboro for the sake of honoring the incredible tradition that built the ACC over Jim Boeheim's love of yellow cabs and walking in the shadows of very tall buildings.

I'm not quibbling with the choice of Greenville as a venue. Just noting that plopping Duke there with UNC and USC in the same venue at the same time isn't exactly giving a 2-seed home court advantage. Our guys will just have to play through it, the same way they play though the hostile crowd at Greensboro during the ACC Tournament.

If you look at the matchups today and tomorrow, there are a lot of fairly even games to be played. That is what happens in the second round. If we are a true #2 seed, and I think we are, we should move on and face either Baylor or another USC. Compare us to Louisville going against a really hot Michigan team or even Kentucky playing Wichita St and our draw doesn't look that bad.

curtis325
03-18-2017, 10:58 AM
South Carolina will be 40 minutes of in-your-face, man2man defense.

Duke can handle in-your-face MTM defense. They see it every day in practice. USC is good, but I'm expecting a 9-point Duke win.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 11:04 AM

[2] Duke vs [7] SoCar (road game).....Duke favored by 7
[2] Kentucky vs [10] Wichita St (#5 kenpom team)...Kentucky favored by 4
[2] Louisville vs [7] Michigan (red hot Wolverines)...Lville favored by 2.5
[2] Arizona vs [7] St. Mary's (#14 kenpom team)​...Arizona favored by 5

Updating the above with point spreads.

Bluegrassdevil1
03-18-2017, 11:06 AM
South Carolina could beat Duke... but that Gamecock squad lost to Alabama twice this season (including last Friday), and I think any Duke fan that believes the second half against Marquette did not have a SIGNIFICANT amount to do with how much the fighting Wojo's wilted on the vine, then pull up YouTube, and check out Frank Martin's team against Alabama... that is far closer to the "real" South Carolina.

Teams that panic against Frank Martin's teams tend to struggle, but I suspect that the Duke squad may know a thing or two about making good decisions in tense moments.

I will happily take Jefferson and Jones leading Duke against the SC defense, and I will honestly not spend the next 32 hours worrying about a potential first weekend exit.

Spend more time thinking about MSG, than Greenville, because MSG is where things could get tense for the Devils.

Rich
03-18-2017, 11:13 AM
If you look at the matchups today and tomorrow, there are a lot of fairly even games to be played. That is what happens in the second round. If we are a true #2 seed, and I think we are, we should move on and face either Baylor or another USC. Compare us to Louisville going against a really hot Michigan team or even Kentucky playing Wichita St and our draw doesn't look that bad.

Totally agree, and agree that in a neutral court situation we win going away. Nothing we can do about UNC fans sticking around (would've happened in Greensboro), but there is no way the Selection Committee should've put USC in this pod making it effectively a home game as a 7 seed. OK, I'm done I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.ing about it. Play the hand we were dealt. GO BLUE DEVILS!

BlueDevilBrowns
03-18-2017, 11:17 AM
Updating the above with point spreads.

And some perspective... 🙂

BandAlum83
03-18-2017, 11:27 AM
Agreed. This ain't North Carolina. If we play our game, especially if Grayson plays well again, we advance. So nice to have a comfortable lead yesterday. Proud of our boys. Hope Lonzo Ball is okay. Every year there is a hot team everyone touts who loses in the first round. SMU. Tom Izzo is either the best tournament coach other than K or a terrible regular season coach. I like Izzo so I'll say the former. If Vrank was highly rated in high school we'd be screaming for more playing time for him. At least I would. Heard Bolden has the flu, if he comes back to Duke he'll be the most improved player in America. Hang in there Marques! Just random thoughts, morning friends so pleased with our win and Matt's shooting!:)

Random thoughts? But they all tied together so well and flowed like poetry! ;)

CharlestonDave
03-18-2017, 11:34 AM
The "close to home" thing backfires for Duke when UNC is good enough to also get placed "close to home". That puts them in the same arena for the first two rounds, and we've seen in the past how that affects the crowd.

It's gonna sound like a bad anti-Duke joke to say this...but when UNC is awarded "close to home" status, the only way to give Duke "close to home" status in the first two rounds is to put us in New York. Let's be honest: if Duke was playing USC in Madison Square Garden tomorrow, how do you think that would change the crowd dynamics?

Still, as I noted earlier, I think our players, at this point, are pretty darned good and handling a hostile crowd.

I guess they could have put us, Troy, South Caolina, Marquette, UNC, Texas Southern, Seton Hall and Arkansas in Buffalo and Villanova, Mt. St. Marys, Wisconsin, Va Tech, Notre Dame, Princeton, West Virginia and Bucknell in Greenville.

chriso
03-18-2017, 11:38 AM
Random thoughts? But they all tied together so well and flowed like poetry! ;)

Thanks! That's what happens when I post after a triple expresso. ;)

BandAlum83
03-18-2017, 12:07 PM
The NCAA tournament is all about matchups on the court, and feel-good stories and/or drama off the court.

This game is about a feel good story 37 years in the making.

37 years ago, our good friends in South Carolina wanted to give us a leg up over their previous Archrival Tarheels of NC. You see, the real USC (to inhabitants of the Carolinas), determined that since they were no longer part of the ACC, they would need to choose another team to be the ones to dominate the Tarheels for generations to come.

Because they had just come off a very nice football season with George Rogers running his way to fame and fortune, they chose Basketball as the mechanism to destroy the Tarheels.

So, when Duke traveled to Columbia SC to play sacrificial lamb to the Gamecocks on the gridiron, Tom Butters was involved in some very secret meetings that would determine the fates of 2 programs for decades. At that meeting, it was determined that South Carolina would take Bill Foster off our hands in order to clear the decks for a young gun out of West Point that was coming highly recommended by the General himself: Bobby Knight.

All the crystal balls told the men in this secretive meeting that this one move would serve to wipe El Deano from the record books, and the crystal were right!

There was much gnashing of teeth when the move was announced and Bill Foster packed his bags. And the faithful were left questioning the ever patient Mr. Butters as we endured 10-17 and 11-17 seasons but the move payed off with a 1986 team that was most special and that took Duke to another level.

37 years later with only 5 ACC tourney appearances since, USC is just now coming off its first tournament victory since that fateful meeting in a dark room in 1979.

Coincidence, you ask? No, not at all. You see, USC did us another solid to contribute to yet another natty for the boys in blue. They know how K doesn't like to coach against his proteges, so they helped take Wojo out of the way for us. You see, at halftime, there was another meeting involving a Duke AD. In this one, the request was made to turn on the jets, and make sure K doesn't have to coach against Wojo on Sunday.

Yes, our friends in Columbia will serve as sparring partners on the way to Potential Armageddon.

Thank you for your sacrifices, Gamecocks.

throatybeard
03-18-2017, 12:14 PM
According to the NCAA schedule page (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/march-madness-dates-schedule-times-key-numbers-2017-ncaa) I posted in the live thread

Thanks so much for linking that. I'm trying to plan a sortie to Mississippi for a wedding reception next weekend, so if we continue to win, I need to know what the options are.

dukelion
03-18-2017, 12:26 PM
Duke Basketball‏Verified account @DukeMBB 2h2 hours ago

NEWS: Bolden to miss practice Saturday with flu-like symptoms.

"Marques has not been feeling well for a few days ..." - Coach K

Neals384
03-18-2017, 12:36 PM
I was told to pull for USC
Maybe it's a yankee thing, but there is only one USC - the team we might get a chance to beat next weekend.

Not really accurate, it was a football driven decision to leave the ACC. Dietzel thought he could build a independent power at SC, of course he was wrong.
That's better!

If we are a true #2 seed, and I think we are, we should move on and face either Baylor or USC.
Fify

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 12:53 PM

It's over

subzero02
03-18-2017, 12:59 PM

Izzo is the best sandbagger in the history of sports...

OldPhiKap
03-18-2017, 01:03 PM
It's over

Casey Sanders ain't walking through that door any time soon.

subzero02
03-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Hopefully he recovers soon and doesn't get anyone else sick...

VA_BDevil
03-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Now that we've shredded the Trojans we need to figure out how to contain the 'Cocks. I suggest that limiting penetration is a must.

BandAlum83
03-18-2017, 01:18 PM
Now that we've shredded the Trojans we need to figure out how to contain the 'Cocks. I suggest that limiting penetration is a must.

The first round game gave us the experience to completely cover the 'Cocks.

I know Matt will be on 'em like a glove. I think penetration will end in nothing more than a dribble for them, even if they take it all the way to the hole.

gam7
03-18-2017, 01:18 PM

It's OK. We might pick up some new Trojans next weekend...

ns7
03-18-2017, 02:43 PM
I don't recall much ball screen on offensive for USCs nor a blow by-ability. It looked to be largely in transition off steals and offensive rebounds. Thornwell was legit, but everyone else seemed to score on little floaters or broken plays. If good Frank and good Grayson show up in the backcourt I like our chances.

I could see the zone being useful in this one.

PJ Dozier might have the best skill-set on offense but he's just a freshman.

Zone would probably work very well except for limiting ORs.

bbosbbos
03-18-2017, 02:49 PM
This will be a very tough game. Similar to vs Baylor in Huston 2010.

I am very nervous now.

MrPoon
03-18-2017, 02:59 PM

Man I feel for this kid. What has gone right for him this year? He wasn't going to play 20 mins yesterday but with Giles and Jefferson with a couple of fouls it was perfect for him to get in and show off. Not so much. Every kid coming to Duke has a lot of dreams but all of them include making an impact in March and even on his limited level, he gets the flu. Just sucks. Can't imagine what my attitude would be when I was 18... I barely remember 18 but I feel for this kid.

juise
03-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Ironically, I believe the last time Duke played Marquette and Frank Martin was the same event. Wonder if that PG has any eligibility left.

https://youtu.be/y8JSPHMIl_k

Billy Dat
03-18-2017, 03:06 PM
I get the South Carolina has a top defense, but I am surprised at the general nervousness, unless nervous fans are more likely to post to manage their anxiety.

This South Carolina team isn't exactly on a hot streak, they are 4-6 in their last 10 and they didn't play Kentucky during that stretch.

If we lose, it's an enormous upset. A 7 point spread in a second round game that amounts to a road game is proof of that.

Obviously, anything can happen but we are playing really well and I see no reason that doesn't continue tomorrow.

In his presser last night, when asked about our defense, K opined that sometimes really good offensive teams just aren't as committed on the defensive end because they always feel they can come back and score on you. We have had very few blowout wins this year, and last night 22 point win is our first by more than 10 since the home Miami game on 1/21.

We are playing really well, I expect us to win tomorrow in a convincing, workmanlike manner.

DukieInKansas
03-18-2017, 03:53 PM
Best line from Coach K's press conference - after discussion GA and social media, as he was leaving he said he had to go check twitter.

I do like a sense of humor.

Danke Shane
03-18-2017, 03:58 PM
I would feel more nervous about the "away game" factor if we had a coach like Gary Williams or Boeheim, who always found always to complain about snubs or matchups or locations. Whenever the coach complains about that stuff in public it inevitably becomes a distraction, or perhaps it implants a subconscious justification for losing in the back of the players' minds.

I think Coach K will have the team mentally prepared for "us vs the world" and just play up that it's no different then any other road ACC game, etc.

Reilly
03-18-2017, 04:01 PM
... they are 4-6 in their last 10 and they didn't play Kentucky during that stretch ...

They have 10 losses on the year ... but 7 of the 10 were away/neutral (if we're counting tomorrow as a 'home' game for them). Their three home losses were by 2, 4 (in 4 OT), and 7 points.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/south-carolina/2017-schedule.html

Billy Dat
03-18-2017, 04:10 PM
They have 10 losses on the year ... but 7 of the 10 were away/neutral (if we're counting tomorrow as a 'home' game for them). Their three home losses were by 2, 4 (in 4 OT), and 7 points.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/south-carolina/2017-schedule.html

But it's not their home gym...listen, it's fine to assume the worst and be happy if it turns our different but anything less than a win for us tomorrow is a serious upset.

Reilly
03-18-2017, 04:40 PM
But it's not their home gym ...

You're right: it's their home state, with a raucous pro-SC crowd, and then there's the added cachet of being the tourney and Duke and primetime ... it's worse than their home gym. Oh, gawd, I'm gonna be sick.

jipops
03-18-2017, 04:56 PM
I expect a game scored in the 60's. Our entire offense is generated from iso plays so SC is going to make that difficult. One key for us is staying out of foul trouble and not let our lack of offensive production affect our defense. I hope to see more zone from us tomorrow. I think our man-to-man will just give them too many opportunities on the drive and around the basket.

Value the ball, stay out of serious foul trouble, defend around the lane...then we should be ok. Otherwise it's on to next season.

dalmatians98
03-18-2017, 04:59 PM
You're right: it's their home state, with a raucous pro-SC crowd, and then there's the added cachet of being the tourney and Duke and primetime ... it's worse than their home gym. Oh, gawd, I'm gonna be sick.

Sorry, the last part made me laugh.

Reilly
03-18-2017, 05:03 PM
I expect a game scored in the 60's ...

We've scored less than 70 points only in 5 of our 36 games: http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/2017-schedule.html

And South Carolina has held 22 of their 33 opponents under 70 points.

Devilwin
03-18-2017, 05:04 PM
Hopefully Luke gets his stroke back....

rsvman
03-18-2017, 07:00 PM
Honestly, I'm more worried about the submicroscopic foe than I am about the South Carolina team.

If we stay well, we advance. If we get sick, all bets are off.

gofurman
03-18-2017, 07:04 PM
But it's not their home gym...listen, it's fine to assume the worst and be happy if it turns our different but anything less than a win for us tomorrow is a serious upset.

Not sure a seven pt fav is a serious upset

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 07:06 PM
I expect a game scored in the 60's. Our entire offense is generated from iso plays so SC is going to make that difficult. One key for us is staying out of foul trouble and not let our lack of offensive production affect our defense. I hope to see more zone from us tomorrow. I think our man-to-man will just give them too many opportunities on the drive and around the basket.

Value the ball, stay out of serious foul trouble, defend around the lane...then we should be ok. Otherwise it's on to next season.

How are you at all worried about a potential Duke-UNC national championship game (from the "apocalypse" thread)?

The way you describe us sometimes, we've already exceeded expectations by winning one game in the tournament.

(That said, I've always pegged you as a reverse-jinxer. One of our very best.)

wavedukefan70s
03-18-2017, 07:47 PM
Im sweating this game.

gofurman
03-18-2017, 08:50 PM
Im sweating this game.

Anyone w updates on illness ??? Someone said k mentioned some players were ill ? That part scares me - info

Skydog
03-18-2017, 09:01 PM
The main danger I see from SC is them forcing (or us allowing) a bunch of easy transition points. It will be important to take care of the ball. No lazy passes, no Tatum over-dribbling and we should be ok.

Oh wait - and foul trouble - we need to stay from that. Not allowing easy transition baskets and not getting into foul trouble - then I'm not worried.

duke4ever19
03-18-2017, 09:02 PM
Im sweating this game.

Must've caught Boldin's flu.

JD for Three!
03-18-2017, 09:29 PM
I had the pleasure of listening to Jimmy Spanarkel (fellow class of '80 alum - but with lots more skills) today. I think he was broadcasting with Verne (?) who was going on and on about all the goofs in seeding and placement. Jim said something to the effect of - if you want to win it, you have to beat them all no matter how they're ranked. We will.

I think that we were cruising a little bit last night. No disrespect to Troy, but I think we could have really laid it on them if we wanted to. Glad we didn't. It shows class, and it means no one got injured doing something silly.

I said a few weeks ago that if we were a little healthy, we would scare anyone who drew us in the NCAAT. With Villanova gone, it feels like the East is ours to take.

I don't fear anyone in the tourney this year. I would be more than happy to meet the CHeats in the final and paste them. Does anyone really think Roy could outcoach K in a final? Ha!

Olympic Fan
03-18-2017, 10:21 PM
Anyone w updates on illness ??? Someone said k mentioned some players were ill ? That part scares me - info

Take it for what it's worth -- K said today at his press conference that except for Bolden, everybody else is fine and ready to go.

OldPhiKap
03-18-2017, 10:41 PM
I've watched USC a bunch this year. Although up and down, when they are focused they are pretty darn good. Really good defense, really scrappy like their coach. Thornwell is a stud in every respect.

We need to get up big in the first half to take the crowd out and get the lingering Tar Heels on the road. I am not comfortable about this game at all.

NashvilleDevil
03-18-2017, 10:57 PM
I've watched USC a bunch this year. Although up and down, when they are focused they are pretty darn good. Really good defense, really scrappy like their coach. Thornwell is a stud in every respect.

We need to get up big in the first half to take the crowd out and get the lingering Tar Heels on the road. I am not comfortable about this game at all.

I haven't been comfortable about this game since the brackets came out. This one is going to be tense until the final.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 10:59 PM

No ACC team should be comfortable right now.

gofurman
03-18-2017, 11:07 PM

Pros for Duke- 1) USC typically has a poor offense and 2) doesn't seem to run PNR very much. 3). They also don't have a break you down PG w super speed. 4)Also, the best two for USC are Thornwell, by far, and Dozier (mcdAA)? The reason I list that as a pro is that they are both 6'5 and 6'6" guys. Numbers 0 and 15. Neither is a 6'2 speedster. Both are great but the kind of guys we could put Matt Jones on. Matt, please shut down Thornwell. That would go a long way to winning this.

Cons - 1) Thornwell is a legit great college player. He can carry a team some nights like last night. Do not let him see the basket easily. 2) The crowd. It's going to be a huge gamecock crowd. They were buying up tickets after Friday. 3) As an aside the SEC is doing ok in the NCAA while the ACC seems to be fading ? UVA. FSU. Norte Dame all going down 4). USC has a legit top ten D. They were kenpom number one in D for several weeks

Speaking of D..The real key may be turnovers. That killed Marquette. You cannot give live ball turnovers to these guys - that's a part of their O as they generally don't do well 5 on 5 on O (though they did well on O last night ). And they are v good at creating turnovers. Top ten in nation I think! Take care of the ball and make crisp passes and hold the ball strong so they have to foul when they swipe at it. USC will come in the passing lanes in an aggressive fashion. Drives and back doors cuts will be there but three point shots may not as they are always charging at the ball and the guy w the ball. May be a real opportunity for Luke? Abuse the aggression ? Somewhat similar to our D but USC is more aggressive - I hope we can find some threes !! They may chase us off the 3 line

USC was much bigger on the boards inside than Marquette but I don't know Marquettes skill and size inside?

gep
03-18-2017, 11:11 PM
I think Luke is a big key. He gets going... then watch out:cool: And I think he'll be very focused... especially after the Troy game.

brevity
03-18-2017, 11:20 PM
No ACC team should be comfortable right now.

UNC should be fairly comfortable. In an arena tomorrow with Duke fans and South Carolina fans who hate their guts but refuse to collaborate to root against them. Because... no reason.

If UNC got 5 minutes of the hatred Duke gets 24/7, they would collapse for all eternity. They took Kentucky's #1 seed and that side of the South bracket. And who is Kentucky mad at? Duke.

I am going to say something now that no Duke fan has EVER said: It's okay for others to hate Duke. Just make sure they hate UNC as much as they hate Duke. Explain the widespread cheating, with a side of racism and sexism. The impotent NCAA. Skipper and Swofford. Hansbrough. I will never understand why people have room in themselves to hate one team per sport. Hate more.

So Duke fans need to get the hatred flowing for the first Sunday game, and get the rest of the crowd involved. That's the priority at the time. If I don't hear booing every time the Heels have the ball tomorrow, so loud and scary that Roy Williams sacrifices 5 scrubs to run to the locker room, I know who to blame.

Oh, and while those Duke fans are in Greenville, stick around for the second game, for obvious reasons. Then, and ONLY then, does Duke become the priority.

Kedsy
03-19-2017, 12:09 AM
I had the pleasure of listening to Jimmy Spanarkel (fellow class of '80 alum - but with lots more skills) today.

Spanarkel finished his eligibility in 1979. He was reputed to be a good student, so I assume he graduated that same year (as opposed to the following year).

mr. synellinden
03-19-2017, 02:20 AM
Not sure a seven pt fav is a serious upset

UNLV was a 9 point favorite against Duke in 1991. That was a VERY serious upset.

sbpollo
03-19-2017, 07:07 AM
Interesting the history of SC and McGuire. Dr. EK reported to me when I worked with her in Plastic Surgery lab in Bell Building about "keying" Frank's car after a game.Different times.

Bob Green
03-19-2017, 07:13 AM
Keys to the Game:

1. Take care of the basketball to limit South Carolina converting turnovers to points.
2. Work hard on defense, without fouling, to make South Carolina earn every point.
3. Rebound on defense to prevent second chance opportunities.
4. Make shots. We have a lot of offensive talent so we have to utilize it.

No earth shattering analysis here because none is needed. This outcome of this game will be determined by talent, is Duke's offensive talent greater than South Carolina's defensive talent? If we make them work hard to earn every point they score, they will not be able to score enough points to beat us. The key to our offense prevailing is to play good defense.

Saratoga2
03-19-2017, 07:57 AM
Keys to the Game:

1. Take care of the basketball to limit South Carolina converting turnovers to points.
2. Work hard on defense, without fouling, to make South Carolina earn every point.
3. Rebound on defense to prevent second chance opportunities.
4. Make shots. We have a lot of offensive talent so we have to utilize it.

No earth shattering analysis here because none is needed. This outcome of this game will be determined by talent, is Duke's offensive talent greater than South Carolina's defensive talent? If we make them work hard to earn every point they score, they will not be able to score enough points to beat us. The key to our offense prevailing is to play good defense.

Bob

We are a little weak in ball security, with no real PG. Frank has come a long way in that regard so we will need him to avoid sloppy turnovers. Also, Jayson can try to do too much and run himself into unforced errors. He is so capable, it is a fine line for him. I agree that taking care of the ball and avoiding TOs is critical to our success.

Rebounding is also important to our success. Emile, Jayson and Luke all need to stay aggressive in going for the ball.

It will be an interesting game to watch and given the conference's weak performance to date, we will need a good performance to prevail.

Devilwin
03-19-2017, 07:57 AM
You are correct, especially about the defense. We simply cannot afford another "lay up drill" type of effort that has been a big problem most of the year. This isn't business as usual. This is lose, and go home. The offense should be there.

TruBlu
03-19-2017, 08:25 AM
Please hit the front end of some 1-and-1 free throws. :p

CDu
03-19-2017, 08:30 AM
Bob

We are a little weak in ball security, with no real PG. Frank has come a long way in that regard so we will need him to avoid sloppy turnovers. Also, Jayson can try to do too much and run himself into unforced errors. He is so capable, it is a fine line for him. I agree that taking care of the ball and avoiding TOs is critical to our success.

Rebounding is also important to our success. Emile, Jayson and Luke all need to stay aggressive in going for the ball.

It will be an interesting game to watch and given the conference's weak performance to date, we will need a good performance to prevail.

We are actually quite good with ball security. We are one of the better teams in terms of lowest turnover %. Where we "suffer" (if one can call a top-10 offense nationally suffering) is in assisting. We don't get a ton of assists or turnovers.

Indoor66
03-19-2017, 08:43 AM
The main danger I see from SC is them forcing (or us allowing) a bunch of easy transition points. It will be important to take care of the ball. No lazy passes, no Tatum over-dribbling and we should be ok.

Oh wait - and foul trouble - we need to stay from that. Not allowing easy transition baskets and not getting into foul trouble - then I'm not worried.

Anything else that can go wrong for us? IMO, we just have to go out and play the game and allow the game to come to us - not force it. If we do that, I don't care whose name is on the other jersey. That saves a lot of hand wringing for me.

Bob Green
03-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Bob

We are a little weak in ball security, with no real PG.

Not really as the whole "no real pg" is overblown. We average 10.8 turnovers per game. By comparison:

2015 - 10.4 tpg
2010 - 11.1 tpg
2001 - 13.6 tpg
1992 - 14.9 tpg
1991 - 16.5 tpg

All numbers from GoDuke.com

sagegrouse
03-19-2017, 08:48 AM
Spanarkel finished his eligibility in 1979. He was reputed to be a good student, so I assume he graduated that same year (as opposed to the following year).

Spanarkel was first team Academic All-American in 1978 and 1979.

He has made a bit of a splash in finance, as the following clip shows:

Upon retiring [from the NBA], Jim Spanarkel ... accepted an offer from Merrill Lynch to become a financial advisor in their Paramus, NJ branch office. Forming a partnership with two other Merrill Lynch financial advisors in 1999, Spanarkel's new team would claim to manage over $1 billion of client assets by the year 2000. [No, I have not audited these numbers -- but "big bucks."]

mgtr
03-19-2017, 08:49 AM
Even though some of the games have had disappointing results, on the whole I have found the games enjoyable -- no Jay Bilas.

hudlow
03-19-2017, 08:50 AM
Anything else that can go wrong for us? IMO, we just have to go out and play the game and allow the game to come to us - not force it. If we do that, I don't care whose name is on the other jersey. That saves a lot of hand wringing for me.

Damned straight!

GO DUKE!

(It's not MY fault that I can't spork this comment)

WVDUKEFAN
03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Not really as the whole "no real pg" is overblown. We average 10.8 turnovers per game. By comparison:

2015 - 10.4 tpg
2010 - 11.1 tpg
2001 - 13.6 tpg
1992 - 14.9 tpg
1991 - 16.5 tpg

I agree with Bob. I believe we are a little better in the point guard department than people think.

dukelifer
03-19-2017, 09:55 AM
I agree with Bob. I believe we are a little better in the point guard department than people think.

Duke will need to stay engaged the whole game. If they get a big lead- the crowd will give SC energy. This is about staying mentally tough throughout. Duke team is mostly whole for the first time all season and I think Duke feels they have something to prove.

The Gordog
03-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Spanarkel was first team Academic All-American in 1978 and 1979.

He has made a bit of a splash in finance, as the following clip shows:

Originally Posted by :
Upon retiring [from the NBA], Jim Spanarkel ... accepted an offer from Merrill Lynch to become a financial advisor in their Paramus, NJ branch office. Forming a partnership with two other Merrill Lynch financial advisors in 1999, Spanarkel's new team would claim to manage over $1 billion of client assets by the year 2000. [No, I have not audited these numbers -- but "big bucks."]

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve. Being a financial advisor (aka stockbroker) is NOT a career in finance. It is a career in sales.

Troublemaker
03-19-2017, 10:19 AM

2015 - 10.4 tpg
2010 - 11.1 tpg
2001 - 13.6 tpg
1992 - 14.9 tpg
1991 - 16.5 tpg

It's hard to compare raw numbers across eras because college basketball in general used to be much more turnover-prone. Duke also used to play at a much faster pace, which is another factor.

I'm not sure stats can capture the overall effect of not having a point guard, anyway. A lot of it is subtle and intangible, and I do think Duke has felt it this season.

uh_no
03-19-2017, 10:36 AM

2015 - 10.4 tpg
2010 - 11.1 tpg
2001 - 13.6 tpg
1992 - 14.9 tpg
1991 - 16.5 tpg

Yeah...if only we had a bobby hurley type point guard like ND has, we could really reduce our turnovers....oh wait.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-19-2017, 10:57 AM
It's hard to compare raw numbers across eras because college basketball in general used to be much more turnover-prone. Duke also used to play at a much faster pace, which is another factor.

I'm not sure stats can capture the overall effect of not having a point guard, anyway. A lot of it is subtle and intangible, and I do think Duke has felt it this season.

And since Frank has been starting, I would say the PG question has been largely answered.

Further, having Frank, Grayson, Luke, and Jayson all being solid ball-handlers more than makes up for not having one singular lead guard to run the offense.

But Jackson has really emerged this month to take our offense to another level, with his dynamic driving ability as well as his outside shot to keep defenses honest.

Reilly
03-19-2017, 11:05 AM

Sorry, but this is a pet peeve. Being a financial advisor (aka stockbroker) is NOT a career in finance. It is a career in sales.

So is being in charge of recruiting at most colleges. (Not Kentucky, where it's a career as a purchasing agent or buyer.)

Brockt10
03-19-2017, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by :

Agree that this position sounds like a sales job but I do think the term "Financial Advisor" is broadly applied to most investment jobs by the general public. Huge pet peeve for me too, though. As someone in the field, the number of times I am called a financial advisor makes me nauseated. Huge difference between buy and sell side. Why don't people understand?!?

uh_no
03-19-2017, 11:36 AM
I could be more sunny and call this "anatomy of a duke win," but we've all seen duke, we've all seen duke win, we've all seen duke win against top teams. Duke is the better team, has better players, and the best coach. If duke does what duke does, duke wins. So what is it that teams DON'T do when they lose to SC?

I pulled the numbers from each of SC's best 3 wins: marquette, michigan, and florida, and took a look:

Marquette: The big number here was shots. marquette actually shot the ball really well, including from 3 and the line. They only took 54 shots, though. SC took 67. at 1 PPP, that's 13 free points. Marquette also shot very well, mostly driven by dozier, who shot twice his season average from in the arc (7/8). Where did those shots come from? Mostly marquette's 18 turnovers.

Michigan: The shot attempt data, rebounding data, and turnover data are similar for both teams here. The main difference is michigan couldn't hit the broad side of the chapel. SC shot really poorly from three as well...but they shot well enough from 2, and took far more of their shots from 2 to pull it out. Michigan also had just 2 assists on the game...which is probably somewhat driven by shooting, but if they were really good shots, you would expect them to go in a bit more than they did.

Florida: SC only shot 289 from 2. But florida was 0-17 from 3....and STILL only lost by 4.

So if you want my keys to the game for duke?

1: Play as a team. move the ball around. If we start forcing things and not moving the ball as we all know we can, we'll be playing into SC's hands, which it seems at least michigan and perhaps florida did.(i mean, given, that's ALWAYS true)
2: limit shot differential. We are about equal sized with them, except when we go big, so there's a chance we can limit their O boards, but I'm not banking on that. Instead we have to work on keeping it respectable, and more importantly, not have any big turnover spurts. As has been pointed out, TO's has not been an issue recently, the FSU game being the last time we were really higher than you'd want, and even then only at 14 (given, >0 is more than you'd really want)
3: Take the ball at chris silva when he's in the game. This guy is a foul machine. He gets slightly less than half the minutes at the 5, and has 23 games this year with 4 or 5 fouls. That's nuts. Abuse him.
4: matt shuts down thornwell. there isn't enough firepower on the rest of the team.

DDMF.

chriso
03-19-2017, 11:44 AM
And since Frank has been starting, I would say the PG question has been largely answered.

Further, having Frank, Grayson, Luke, and Jayson all being solid ball-handlers more than makes up for not having one singular lead guard to run the offense.

But Jackson has really emerged this month to take our offense to another level, with his dynamic driving ability as well as his outside shot to keep defenses honest.

Really like Grayson's play of late. I wonder if his coming off the bench is less pressure. Agree about Jackson; he's always been a stud but now it's consistent. I think we win today but important not to look ahead. I always get a little nervous when the path ahead of us is cleared(Villanova) and we haven't played yet. I don't think Coach K will allow them to look ahead. One game at a time. But if we win today I'll sure feel good about our chances going forward!:cool: Go Duke! P.S. Having attended the game in Tallahassee this year and hearing all the cursing directed at Grayson, I will admit to being a Xavier fan today. :)

sagegrouse
03-19-2017, 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by :

Agree that this position sounds like a sales job but I do think the term "Financial Advisor" is broadly applied to most investment jobs by the general public. Huge pet peeve for me too, though. As someone in the field, the number of times I am called a financial advisor makes me nauseated. Huge difference between buy and sell side. Why don't people understand?!?

Gordog, where ya' been? I used "finance" merely because Merrill Lynch, now a subsidiary of Bank of America, is a major player in the finance industry. I thought that was sufficient detail for this site.

elvis14
03-19-2017, 12:25 PM
Maybe it's a yankee thing, but there is only one USC - the team we might get a chance to beat next weekend.

I lived in South Carolina for a few years. They don't give a #$@% about Southern Cal or UNCheat. So USC in the state of South Carolina is the Gamecocks and 'Carolina' is USC, not UNCheat.

I think Luke is a big key. He gets going... then watch out:cool: And I think he'll be very focused... especially after the Troy game.

On offense, we need Luke or Jayson or Grayson to really get going (two would be great). We also need Frank and Matt to hit a good % of their open threes and as others have mentioned, take care of the ball. One of the cool things about our team is that we have multiple guys that can get it going and put the defense off balance and we have good role players a well (and sometimes those role players can score in bunches as well).

Toughest part for us is waiting the next 8 hours for the game to start.

Neals384
03-19-2017, 12:36 PM

Not saying a win is guaranteed or anything, but some of the comments in this thread go well beyond hand-wringing. More like Gamecock-wringing;)

Olympic Fan
03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
I lived in South Carolina for a few years. They don't give a #$@% about Southern Cal or UNCheat. So USC in the state of South Carolina is the Gamecocks and 'Carolina' is USC, not UNCheat.

It's very simple. If you are in the state of South Carolina, USC is South Carolina and Carolina is South Carolina (either the school or the state)

Anywhere else in the world, USC means Southern Cal and Carolina means North Carolina.

Historically, South Carolina is one of the least successful major state programs in the country in both football (North Carolina has a better history) and basketball (Clemson has a better history).

They are pretty good in baseball.

gam7
03-19-2017, 12:44 PM
I could be more sunny and call this "anatomy of a duke win," but we've all seen duke, we've all seen duke win, we've all seen duke win against top teams. Duke is the better team, has better players, and the best coach. If duke does what duke does, duke wins. So what is it that teams DON'T do when they lose to SC?

I pulled the numbers from each of SC's best 3 wins: marquette, michigan, and florida, and took a look:

Marquette: The big number here was shots. marquette actually shot the ball really well, including from 3 and the line. They only took 54 shots, though. SC took 67. at 1 PPP, that's 13 free points. Marquette also shot very well, mostly driven by dozier, who shot twice his season average from in the arc (7/8). Where did those shots come from? Mostly marquette's 18 turnovers.

Michigan: The shot attempt data, rebounding data, and turnover data are similar for both teams here. The main difference is michigan couldn't hit the broad side of the chapel. SC shot really poorly from three as well...but they shot well enough from 2, and took far more of their shots from 2 to pull it out. Michigan also had just 2 assists on the game...which is probably somewhat driven by shooting, but if they were really good shots, you would expect them to go in a bit more than they did.

Florida: SC only shot 289 from 2. But florida was 0-17 from 3...and STILL only lost by 4.

1: Play as a team. move the ball around. If we start forcing things and not moving the ball as we all know we can, we'll be playing into SC's hands, which it seems at least michigan and perhaps florida did.(i mean, given, that's ALWAYS true)
2: limit shot differential. We are about equal sized with them, except when we go big, so there's a chance we can limit their O boards, but I'm not banking on that. Instead we have to work on keeping it respectable, and more importantly, not have any big turnover spurts. As has been pointed out, TO's has not been an issue recently, the FSU game being the last time we were really higher than you'd want, and even then only at 14 (given, >0 is more than you'd really want)
3: Take the ball at chris silva when he's in the game. This guy is a foul machine. He gets slightly less than half the minutes at the 5, and has 23 games this year with 4 or 5 fouls. That's nuts. Abuse him.
4: matt shuts down thornwell. there isn't enough firepower on the rest of the team.

DDMF.

I would add "Hit free throws." They foul A LOT. Their opponents' % of FTA/FGA is the highest of almost any team in all of D1. USC does a very good job of getting to the line themselves, but they are a bad FT shooting team. A healthy differential in our favor at the FT line will be very important in this one.

Billy Dat
03-19-2017, 12:46 PM
It's not nice to us Duke Alums, but I heard a pretty funny summary of the game:

Cocks vs D*cks

Olympic Fan
03-19-2017, 12:49 PM

FWIW, Pomeroy has Duke's turnover percentage as 32nd nationally -- that not comparing numbers over eras or having them warped by tempo.

I think the 32nd best TO rate in the country is pretty good -- with or without a point guard.

On the other hand, our defensive turnover rate is 250th, meaning we are one of the worst teams in the country at forcing TOs.

But while I don't think the lack of a real point guard hurts in terms of ball security, it does impact the team in other ways -- such as the lack of a real creator (which Grayson, Luke, Frank and sometimes Matt try to fill).

gam7
03-19-2017, 12:55 PM

Florida: SC only shot 289 from 2. But florida was 0-17 from 3...and STILL only lost by 4.

DDMF.

I would add "Hit free throws." They foul A LOT. Their opponents' % of FTA/FGA is the highest of almost any team in all of D1. USC does a very good job of getting to the line themselves, but they are a bad FT shooting team. A healthy differential in our favor at the FT line will be very important in this one.

Also, they appear to be vulnerable on their defensive glass. We should be hunting offensive rebounds.

Really, their offensive second half last game was a huge outlier. They are one of the worst shooting teams in D1 (even despite forcing so many turnovers).

Let's just avoid things snowballing in a negative way.

uh_no
03-19-2017, 12:58 PM

while I alluded to getting to the FT line with silva, I try not to put things like "make more baskets," since such things are largely out of anyone's control. You can control which shots you take, you can control who takes those shots, but once it's in the air, it's down to the fickle hand of fate. It's not as if "hitting free throws" were not one of the things for the team to focus on they would say "oh, well in that case, I'll just chuck em up!"

So anyway, you're absolutely right.

sagegrouse
03-19-2017, 12:59 PM

On offense, we need Luke or Jayson or Grayson to really get going (two would be great). We also need Frank and Matt to hit a good % of their open threes and as others have mentioned, take care of the ball. One of the cool things about our team is that we have multiple guys that can get it going and put the defense off balance and we have good role players a well (and sometimes those role players can score in bunches as well).

Toughest part for us is waiting the next 8 hours for the game to start.
I lived in Los Angeles for a few years. The local references to the Trojans were, in order:

SC
USC
Southern California

Never, ever, ever "Southern Cal." That name is an invention of headline writers, Notre Dame fans, and reporters from elsewhere.

Indoor66
03-19-2017, 01:28 PM
Never, ever, ever "Southern Cal." That name is an invention of headline writers, Notre Dame fans, and reporters from elsewhere.

Or people\organizations that are space deprived....

gam7
03-19-2017, 01:28 PM
It's not as if "hitting free throws" were not one of the things for the team to focus on they would say "oh, well in that case, I'll just chuck em up!"

So anyway, you're absolutely right.

Fair enough (though you can say the same thing about limiting turnovers). These are not so much tactical keys, as they are indicators to those paying attention as to how things might be playing out.

At a higher level of abstraction, I would say that if we can maintain solid fundamentals, we almost certainly will win.

ns7
03-19-2017, 01:33 PM
basketball (Clemson has a better history).

South Carolina has more ACC titles then Clemson does. SC also had the most dominant ACC regular season performance until 1999 Duke eclipsed them.

BlueDevilBrowns
03-19-2017, 01:37 PM
South Carolina has more ACC titles then Clemson does. SC also had the most dominant ACC regular season performance until 1999 Duke eclipsed them.

Yes, I've always felt South Carolina is a closet basketball school.

My grandfather was a Carolina Alumnus and lived in Columbia from the 60's thru the 90's...

And as much as he loved taking me to Gamecocks football games, when he would tell me about those Frank MaGuire teams, you could tell it was a little more special to him.

camion
03-19-2017, 01:40 PM

True. But today's college students, and possibly their parents, weren't yet born when USC was a thing in the ACC.

elvis14
03-19-2017, 02:50 PM
It's very simple. If you are in the state of South Carolina, USC is South Carolina and Carolina is South Carolina (either the school or the state)

Anywhere else in the world, USC means Southern Cal and Carolina means North Carolina.

Historically, South Carolina is one of the least successful major state programs in the country in both football (North Carolina has a better history) and basketball (Clemson has a better history).

Very well said Olympic Fan. When I moved from Clemson, SC to NC that whole 'Carolina' thing caught me off guard for a few months. Of course I also, started going to Franklin Street when I first moved here (before I realized....I just didn't like it there).

I lived in Los Angeles for a few years. The local references to the Trojans were, in order:

SC
USC
Southern California

My bad on the usage of 'Southern Cal', I was just trying to use something other than #1 and #2 above and didn't feel like typing 'California'.

Yes, I've always felt South Carolina is a closet basketball school.

My grandfather was a Carolina Alumnus and lived in Columbia from the 60's thru the 90's...

And as much as he loved taking me to Gamecocks football games, when he would tell me about those Frank MaGuire teams, you could tell it was a little more special to him.

Clemson football fans will tell you that USC better hope they are a closet basketball school :-)

I just walked on a treadmill for an hour and still have 6 hours to kill. Argh.

sagegrouse
03-19-2017, 02:50 PM

Ahem. How about 14-0 for Duke in 1962-63?

wavedukefan70s
03-19-2017, 03:09 PM

We do happen to produce plenty of football talent though.

Neals384
03-19-2017, 03:10 PM

Try googling USC and see what you get.

ns7
03-19-2017, 03:12 PM
Ahem. How about 14-0 for Duke in 1962-63?

I'm going by record + mov.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/acc/1970.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/conferences/acc/1963.html

elvis14
03-19-2017, 03:16 PM
Try googling USC and see what you get.

Won't do any good, I'm not in SC. Next time I do got my parents, I'll give it a try. :-)

gofurman
03-19-2017, 03:26 PM
PJ Dozier might have the best skill-set on offense but he's just a freshman.

Zone would probably work very well except for limiting ORs.

He's a sophomore I think

Olympic Fan
03-19-2017, 05:35 PM

South Carolina had one ACC title (1971) and one regular season title (1970). Clemson has no ACC titles and one regular season title (1990). That's true.

South Carolina has five NCAA wins in its history and two of the were consolation games. Clemson 10 NCAA wins to its credit, including one Elite Eight (1980) and four Sweet 16s.

Advantage Clemson.

And South Carolina's great team in 1970 was dominant -- until they choked in the ACC Tournament.

UNC in 1957 and Duke in 1963 were not only perfect in regular season play, but also added the tournament title (as did the 1999 Duke team).

PS Dozier is a sophomore who averaged 6.7 ppg last season as a freshman.

-jk
03-19-2017, 06:26 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke! Go to Hell!, Carolina!

-jk

BigZ
03-19-2017, 06:33 PM
Battle of Dunleavys

hsheffield
03-19-2017, 06:38 PM
South Carolina had one ACC title (1971) and one regular season title (1970). Clemson has no ACC titles and one regular season title (1990). That's true.

South Carolina has five NCAA wins in its history and two of the were consolation games. Clemson 10 NCAA wins to its credit, including one Elite Eight (1980) and four Sweet 16s.

Advantage Clemson.

And South Carolina's great team in 1970 was dominant -- until they choked in the ACC Tournament.

UNC in 1957 and Duke in 1963 were not only perfect in regular season play, but also added the tournament title (as did the 1999 Duke team).

PS Dozier is a sophomore who averaged 6.7 ppg last season as a freshman.

point of information:
the 1970 team did not choke. their first team AA PG John Roche incurred a serious ankle injury against WF before they played NC State for the tournament championship. Rumor was that he fractured his fibula but don't really know. He played in the championship game anyway but was limited. You're right about their being dominant: they were undefeated in the ACC regular season.

Regardless, this USC is not that program. But that 1970 team inspired my basketball obsession which has lasted to this day. Can't believe I got so lucky as to get my education at Duke and latch on to K's bandwagon. I mean really. How grand has it been?

jimmiles
03-19-2017, 07:11 PM
it has been truly grand. Coach K is a wonderful American Sprotsman and has blessed us with great experiences and memories. We can never repay him

ns7
03-19-2017, 08:24 PM

That's why I wrote regular season...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-19-2017, 08:25 PM
No game winning shots or OT games yet this tournament. Why does that make me nervous about our game?

fuse
03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
Let's Go Duke!!!

ns7
03-19-2017, 08:35 PM
No game winning shots or OT games yet this tournament. Why does that make me nervous about our game?

Duke is a bad matchup for SC. SC sells out to get turnovers and prevent threes. When that doesn't happen they have trouble winning (and scoring).

Olympic Fan
03-19-2017, 08:40 PM
point of information:
the 1970 team did not choke. their first team AA PG John Roche incurred a serious ankle injury against WF before they played NC State for the tournament championship. Rumor was that he fractured his fibula but don't really know. He played in the championship game anyway but was limited. You're right about their being dominant: they were undefeated in the ACC regular season.

Regardless, this USC is not that program. But that 1970 team inspired my basketball obsession which has lasted to this day. Can't believe I got so lucky as to get my education at Duke and latch on to K's bandwagon. I mean really. How grand has it been?

You mean point of opinion ... I was there and I say South Carolina DID choke.

Just to correct another "fact" -- John Roche was NEVER a consensus first team AA. In 1970, Roche failed to make a single first-team AA, unless you count the Basketball Writers team, which picked one 10-mn team. He was second team AP, second team UPI and third team by the coaches. He was recognized as consensus second team. (He was second team in 1971 too).

Yes, Roche was injured in the semifinal with Wake Forest, when he stepped on the foot of John Lewkowiczs and twisted an ankle.

He didn't start in the finals against NC State --sophomore Bob Carver, a fine player and later a starter, did. But Roche came off the bench minutes into the game and went the rest of the way without a sub -- through two overtimes. One of the reasons I say it was a choke was McGuire' insistence on going with Roche even though he was hurt. He never gave Carver a chance -- Roche was 4-of-17 that night and missed the last shot in regulation and at the end of the first OT -- CHOKE!

Even with all that, South Carolina had the lead and the ball with seconds remaining, when Ed Leftwich stole the ball from Bobby Cremins at midcourt and went in for the winning basket. CHOKE!

That was a good team -- one that finished No. 6 in the final AP poll (the three UNC champs which preceded it all finished No. 4). But it was just the third ACC team to finish the regular season undefeated and was the first to fail to win the ACC championship -- although to be fair, Dean Smith would also do it twice in the 1980s (1984 and 1987). He choked too.

duketaylor
03-19-2017, 08:44 PM
Just play our game and I do like pressure when any team we play is bringing the ball upcourt. Mix in man and zone.

GO DEVILS!!

BigZ
03-19-2017, 08:44 PM
I'll predicted Duke 79-67

LasVegas
03-19-2017, 08:47 PM
Duke by 20.

Native
03-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Let's go Devils!

ns7
03-19-2017, 08:50 PM
You mean point of opinion ... I was there and I say South Carolina DID choke.

That's for sharing the memories. Always love hearing stories of about the ACC's history.

Interesting times in the early 1970s with the imminent resurgence of NC State led by DT.

brickey
03-19-2017, 08:52 PM
Duke by 20.

Looks like many unComplicits have stayed around. If we can open up a sizable lead, they'll leave. If it stays close, they'll linger and boo.

riverside6
03-19-2017, 08:53 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/South Carolina...

http://www.scacchoops.com/south-carolina-at-duke-basketball-live-stats-3192017

eddiehaskell
03-19-2017, 08:57 PM
How was that a foul on Luke? Is he not allowed to rebound?

HateCarolina
03-19-2017, 08:59 PM
How was that a foul on Luke? Is he not allowed to rebound?

I was wondering the exact same thing. WTH?

BigZ
03-19-2017, 09:00 PM
Great Jefferson injured

g-money
03-19-2017, 09:02 PM
Are these the same refs that did the UNC- Arkansas game? I thought the no-call against Berry was the worst call I'd seen all day - until this game started.

eddiehaskell
03-19-2017, 09:03 PM
3 fouls on Duke in 4 minutes...10 on UNC in 40 minutes.

duketaylor
03-19-2017, 09:03 PM
Was attempting to chat, but way too much blather. Will stick here. Way too much anti-Devil going on.

Furniture
03-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Was attempting to chat, but way too much blather. Will stick here. Way too much anti-Devil going on.

Chat is tough. There are a few wankers there....

HateCarolina
03-19-2017, 09:07 PM
Not many defensive fouls, but lots of offensive fouls.

pfrduke
03-19-2017, 09:08 PM
K's already lost the jacket. He's taking this seriously. (Webber agrees)

pfrduke
03-19-2017, 09:11 PM
Choppy game but glad to be in the bonus with 12 to play

CDu
03-19-2017, 09:12 PM
Second foul on Tatum. Bad.

BigZ
Too many off the ball fouls being called

theschwartz
Lots of whistles. South Carolina is playing tough and tumble. Amile's having his own personal block party and gamecocks are on the menu.

peterjswift
03-19-2017, 09:15 PM
This has been one of the most physical halves I've seen this year. I wonder if SC's gameplan was to get Duke into a wrestling match. Hope Tatum and Allen keep their composure.

duketaylor
Need as much Harry and GA as possible, Luke struggling a bit. More Frank also.

kmspeaks
Too many off the ball fouls being called

Lots of whistles. South Carolina is playing tough and tumble. Amile's having his own personal block party and gamecocks are on the menu.

They need to keep blowing the whistles and get the game under control. South Carolina had their hands all over everyone on and off the ball in the opening minutes. If you don't call a bunch of fouls and make guys back off that's when things get chippy or guys get hurt.

jipops
03-19-2017, 09:19 PM
Jefferson's D is winning this game so far.

BigZ
03-19-2017, 09:20 PM
Need to extend this lead

jipops
03-19-2017, 09:23 PM
Need to extend this lead

We've blown our opportunity to extend with all the turnovers. Important to maintain defensive focus as the offense continues to stagnate. SC probably has a mini run in them.

JustAFan
03-19-2017, 09:25 PM
Does anyone know where Bolden is? He's not on bench - Featherston said he was "under the weather" yesterday v Troy but at least on the bench.

duketaylor
03-19-2017, 09:29 PM
Matt Jones on fire!!

duketaylor
03-19-2017, 09:30 PM
Bolden has the flu

jipops
Hmm. Take Matt out? Even it means we lose the lead.

pfrduke
So Jayson, Matt, and Luke all with 2 already - is that right?

BigZ
03-19-2017, 09:32 PM
Where is Luke Kennard?

ice-9
03-19-2017, 09:33 PM
How do you give an offensively deficient team a chance to score?

Foul 'em.

We've GOT to stop fouling.

Thankfully SC is a bad free throw shooter, but we can only count on that so much.

pfrduke
South Carolina had 7 fouls at the 12 minute mark. They have 8 under 4. Bad job by us taking advantage of the bonus.

downeastdad
Not much of an offensive game plan of late.

CDu

And Jackson.

BigZ
Good thing is most all of our turnovers are stopping the clock

rsvman
03-19-2017, 09:34 PM
Where is Luke Kennard?

Luke had bad first half in all our ACC tournament games and was a total non-factor in our game against Troy.

I'd love to have him back for the second half of this one. We could use him.

Atlanta Duke

Announcers too busy building storylines such as who can become the equivalent at USC to a football player to handle mundane tasks such as play by play and number of fouls

Utley
Haven't had a good look in like 5 minutes - thank god for some bail out 3s by Matt. Need to get some offensive motion going. Amile's will is incredible

CDu
Good thing is most all of our turnovers are stopping the clock

Yeah fairly few live-ball turnovers so far. Still, fortunate to be up 8.

kmspeaks
03-19-2017, 09:35 PM
So when exactly are NCAA officials going to get around to enforcing that freedom of movement thing I keep hearing about?

jipops
03-19-2017, 09:37 PM
Our iso based offense just isn't going to work against this D

InSpades
03-19-2017, 09:38 PM
It seems as if we are slowing things down on offense because our entire team has 2 fouls... which isn't necessarily a bad idea but they play such tough D that we aren't getting much late in the shot clock (except for a few very nice 3s from Matt).

Need to get something going earlier and quit turning the ball over...

So many traveling calls...

rsvman
03-19-2017, 09:40 PM
Waaaaayyyyyy too many turnovers. How long has it been since we scored?

downeastdad
03-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Animal ball first half. Someone could get seriously hurt.

pfrduke
Lost in the (justifiable) concern of how bad the offense has been is how effective our zone has been at flummoxing SC. Winning the game on the defensive end right now.

BigZ
If USC and UVA ever play each other remind me not to watch

eddiehaskell
SC is getting a lot of good looks from 3...hopefully they don't start falling in the 2nd half. Giles playing good d inside.

arnie
We are so rattled. K better settle em down or this game goes south like the Marquette game.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-19-2017, 09:42 PM
So when exactly are NCAA officials going to get around to enforcing that freedom of movement thing I keep hearing about?

They remind me of an old school Georgetown team with all of the grabbing, yet we have more fouls. And now we are playing tentatively due to the fouls.

indy1duke
SC cannot win without a strong effort by by those fellas in the striped shirts and they have been very obliging.

rsvman
The foul calls seem pretty uneven to me.

gocanes0506
The team isn't moving around and playing an O. They are a good D but we are helping by ball watching. Set screens and drive the hole. Been in the bonus since the 12 minute mark with little FT

BigZ
03-19-2017, 09:43 PM
Allen needs to either catch and shoot or drive. This catching the. All looking to pass than shooting flat footed is not working

ice-9
03-19-2017, 09:44 PM
The scoring, turnovers and fouls remind me of my YMCA game yesterday. :D

rsvman
03-19-2017, 09:45 PM
Harry almost got the tip in at the end of the half!

downeastdad
03-19-2017, 09:46 PM
We've gotten off 17 shots in 20 minutes!! Way too many TO's and Offensive fouls.

CDu
03-19-2017, 09:46 PM
Survived the first half. Gotta have a clean first five minutes or so in the second half. To be up 7 with nobody but Jones playing well offensively isn't too bad.

sbroc012
03-19-2017, 09:48 PM
No one picked up the third foul and we played pretty poorly on offense. Regroup and clean up the second half.

Atlanta Duke
03-19-2017, 09:49 PM
Hope Tatum is not hurt and that K sat him after the travel to avoid an impetuous third foul

Poor game and 1/2 in Greeneville for Luke - need him to step up

Harry Giles better tonight

InSpades
17 FG attempts, 13 TOs. Thankfully when we don't turn the ball over we have been very efficient offensively...

Don't know whether to be happy we are up 7 after turning the ball over so much or sad that we are only up 7 when they've shot 20% from the field.

Defense has obviously been great... need to stop fouling and rebound it a bit better.

jipops
How are you at all worried about a potential Duke-UNC national championship game (from the "apocalypse" thread)?

The way you describe us sometimes, we've already exceeded expectations by winning one game in the tournament.

(That said, I've always pegged you as a reverse-jinxer. One of our very best.)

You have me pegged. But my pregame analysis doesn't appear to be far off so far right?

rsvman
03-19-2017, 09:52 PM
No one picked up the third foul and we played pretty poorly on offense. Regroup and clean up the second half.

Frank Jackson says hi. I think.....

szstark

Didn't Frank?

DUKIE V(A)
Duke ball to start the second half. Great opportunity to get things going our way right off the bat. Score-stop-score and we may be off to the races.

1. Limit turnovers
2. Hit the defensive glass.
3. Get Luke and Tatum going.

Avvocato
Obviously, way too many turnovers. I think we need to attack their pressure, but instead of taking it all the way to the goal, we need to pull up for some mid range shots. When we don't turn it over on the perimeter, we are driving it into their defense. I think K was just trying to manage the foul situation at the end of the first half. He made it to the half with a 7 point lead and only Jackson with 3 fouls. Could have been worse (though still not sure what Frank did to get that 3rd). In any case, let's take care of business this second half. Giles has given good minutes. Don't mind seeing him and Amile playing together more this second half.

sbroc012
03-19-2017, 09:53 PM
Yea...Jackson has 3...missed that apparently

jv001
03-19-2017, 09:53 PM

I thought Frank has 3 fouls. Hope I'm wrong. Offense has been Matt and Grayson. If all college basketball games were like this one, I'd watch something else. This is more like football. Looking for Coach K to come out in a different offense, at least I hope he does. GoDuke!

rsvman
03-19-2017, 09:54 PM
I'm worried that foul trouble could leave us with Jack white and company to close out the game. Shades of the UConn 2004 game.
Hope I'm wrong.

Tripping William
03-19-2017, 09:57 PM
I'm worried that foul trouble could leave us with Jack white and company to close out the game. Shades of the UConn 2004 game.
Hope I'm wrong.

My guess is we'll continue to play a ton of zone to hedge against that. If they shoot at their mean, and we defensive rebound, we *should* be okay.

jipops
03-19-2017, 09:57 PM
I expect us to do a much better job taking care of the ball in the 2nd half. I also expect SC to shoot much, much better in the 2nd.

CDu
03-19-2017, 09:58 PM
I expect us to do a much better job taking care of the ball in the 2nd half. I also expect SC to shoot much, much better in the 2nd.

Well, they can't realistically shoot worse.

Utley
03-19-2017, 09:59 PM
Seemed like refs were letting them play inside but calling it close on the perimeter

construe
03-19-2017, 09:59 PM
USC went to zone after Duke got in the bonus and it worked very well. Duke cannot get a clean 3 pt shot off, and when they penetrate and try to dish out, their long arms get in the passing lanes. Of course, Duke also went zone for the same reason and it worked for us, too.

They are indeed an ugly offensive team. My fear is that Duke will pick up a few early fouls, we'll have to play weak D, they'll start penetrating and get offensive rebounds or fouls and then like in the Marquette game, it'll start to snowball fast.

Duke will need to drive and make the refs blow the whistle against USC and get our guys to the line. Or, make a lot of 3s!! :D

BigZ
03-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Crowd doesn't seem to be an issue

jv001
03-19-2017, 10:00 PM
Obviously, way too many turnovers. I think we need to attack their pressure, but instead of taking it all the way to the goal, we need to pull up for some mid range shots. When we don't turn it over on the perimeter, we are driving it into their defense. I think K was just trying to manage the foul situation at the end of the first half. He made it to the half with a 7 point lead and only Jackson with 3 fouls. Could have been worse (though still not sure what Frank did to get that 3rd). In any case, let's take care of business this second half. Giles has given good minutes. Don't mind seeing him and Amile playing together more this second half.

This might be the kind of offense that works against this mauling defense. Harry played a good first half and if we keep fouling, he might have to play big minutes in the 2nd half. Maybe Vrank as well. GoDuke!

KandG
03-19-2017, 10:02 PM
I'd feel pretty good if I were SC -- Duke's fifth or sixth option was the only one to hurt them the last 7 to 8 minutes of the first half, and we had zero rhythm on offense. Matt & Frank are either too tentative with the ball or way too impulsive.

Have to find a way to get scoring from one of our primary options to start the second half. I worry our focus on D may slip ever so slightly if the game stays close given the foul trouble and most of our players' identity being tied up in scoring. I get being deliberate on offense given how much SC struggles to score, but we're committing turnovers by the bushel anyway, so why not attack a little earlier in these possessions to make our offense less predictable to defend?

BigZ
03-19-2017, 10:03 PM
So we play Baylor if we win