PDA

View Full Version : NCAAT (Rof64): Duke 87, Troy 65 Post-Game Thread

JBDuke
03-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Put your post-game thoughts here.

jipops
03-17-2017, 09:23 PM
Survive and advance. :)

Fantastic D in the 2nd half. Hot shooting by GA too.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2017, 09:24 PM
Moving on!

chriso
Put your post-game thoughts here.

Pleased as punch. :cool: A first round game (now referred to as second round) with no acid reflux. Thank you team!

proelitedota
Thank God it was a relaxing game for the most part. No need for any meds.

richardjackson199
03-17-2017, 09:25 PM
That was a scary 15 seed. Troy had much more talent than the Mercer team who beat us. Thankfully K was ready and we came to play. Great win!

FerryFor50
03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Good, comfortable win. Troy just didn't have the horses. Good to see Matt hitting some shots.

Was curious to see Bolden nailed to the very end of the bench. Vrank came in before he did. As did Delaurier, Jack White and Justin Robinson.

Is he hurt? He didn't seem very interested in the game and rarely cheered. I know he's not crucial to Duke making a run, but wondering if he's going to be a distraction.

jipops
03-17-2017, 09:26 PM
Thank God it was a relaxing game for the most part. No need for any meds.

Lack of D was kinda frustrating in the 1st. I started to reach for something to relax me until that D showed up in the 2nd.

FerryFor50
03-17-2017, 09:27 PM
That was a scary 15 seed. Troy had much more talent than the Mercer team who beat us. Thankfully K was ready and we came to play. Great win!

Duke also had more overall talent this season than the team that lost to Mercer, so there's that.

Edouble
Anyone have a link to the press conference?

Tripping William
Workmanlike. Never ilreallt in doubt.

Troublemaker
03-17-2017, 09:28 PM
Live stream for postgame presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Zh9KjrSrs

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2017, 09:30 PM
Good, comfortable win. Troy just didn't have the horses. Good to see Matt hitting some shots.

Was curious to see Bolden nailed to the very end of the bench. Vrank came in before he did. As did Delaurier, Jack White and Justin Robinson.

Is he hurt? He didn't seem very interested in the game and rarely cheered. I know he's not crucial to Duke making a run, but wondering if he's going to be a distraction.

Daniel Orton

scottdude8
Do we know what is going on with Chase and Marques? The fact that neither got any garbage time, combined with Vrank playing as the third big over either of them (but particularly Marques), I'm starting to get concerned that one or both of them either could be nursing an undisclosed injury or could perhaps be in K's dog house (I'm more concerned about Marques in this regard considering how active a teammate Chase seems to be on the bench).

Has anything about either player been discussed by K or the staff? I'm less concerned about Chase since we know about the back issue, although I was hoping he could contribute by the end of the season. With Marques, the lack of any playing time has me concerned that there may be some unhappiness brewing (I don't have any inside information, just comparing this situation to similar situations in the past where top freshman suddenly lost all PT with seemingly no explanation l (ie Gbinije) has me concerned).

All that being said I was happy with how Vrank filled in, and ecstatic about the win. Just figured this is important enough of a side-plot, and one that has been lingering for a bit, that it deserves highlight and discussion.

Kjeffrey

I wondered if he was even there. Everyone was up celebrating Javin's basket and I couldn't see Bolden. It looks bad if he remained seated (barring injury) while his teammates were up cheering.

Bluealum

I was wondering about this as well. Perhaps an unspecified injury... odd. Can't imagine K would allow it to be a distraction however

duke4ever19

5 stars.

Loved that they tightened things up.

Atldukie79
03-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Fairly comfortable win. It felt like it should have been a 30 point victory. First time we have emptied our bench in a long time.

Luke's shot was off a bit today, and Tatum was not consistent. But fun to watch.

I believe we might have missed the first 4 front ends of 1 and 1s.

DU82
I was wondering about this as well. Perhaps an unspecified injury... odd. Can't imagine K would allow it to be a distraction however

Pure speculation, but Coach mentioned that a number of players were sick.

91devil

Truth. Varnado and Person are ACC Caliber players.

The Zone was again effective to change the pace of the game. Didn't make a difference in winning or losing, but it felt like Troy didn't react well to it.

duke4ever19
03-17-2017, 09:33 PM
Daniel Orton

What am I missing with your reference? :confused:

Know the player, but what's the connection to Bolden?

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2017, 09:35 PM
What am I missing with your reference? :confused:

Know the player, but what's the connection to Bolden?

Rarely plays. Declares for draft. Everyone confused.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Bolden looked miserable. He was at the end of the bench and never even got up to high five guys coming out. It really stood out from the rest of the bench, which was engaged and enthusiastic.

richardjackson199
03-17-2017, 09:42 PM
Duke also had more overall talent this season than the team that lost to Mercer, so there's that.

Of course you're right. But our team with Jabari Parker, Rodney Hood, Quinn Cook, Marshall Plumlee, Andre Dawkins, Semi Ojeleye, Amile Jefferson, Matt Jones, and Rasheed Sulaimon also had some talent.

Tonight, our offense in the first half and D in the second was NCAA tournament ready. I'm just glad we brought our A game. That Troy team is not one I'd want to be close with at the end of the game in an arena filled with heels.

jacone21
03-17-2017, 09:44 PM
Bolden looked miserable. He was at the end of the bench and never even got up to high five guys coming out. It really stood out from the rest of the bench, which was engaged and enthusiastic.

Yeah. He's either sick or completely disengaged. Neither is good, but one is worse.

Hmmmm

mr. synellinden
03-17-2017, 09:45 PM
Yeah. He's either sick or completely disengaged. Neither is good, but one is worse.

Hmmmm

or was disciplined and is not handling it in the right way

scottdude8
03-17-2017, 09:47 PM

Hmmmm

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this and is worried by it. Sad that this is something we have to think about after an otherwise great performance by the guys. Obviously transfer/draft talk belongs in the off season, so I won't say anything beyond unhappy players is something you always want to avoid, regardless of who's at fault.

Furniture
03-17-2017, 09:48 PM
Live stream for postgame presser:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-Zh9KjrSrs

amazing that you can put this in a thread!
thankyou!

aseb1986
03-17-2017, 09:50 PM
How many more games will we be subjected to Chris Webber? The worst announcer by a mile.

bluenorth
03-17-2017, 09:51 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who noticed this and is worried by it. Sad that this is something we have to think about after an otherwise great performance by the guys. Obviously transfer/draft talk belongs in the off season, so I won't say anything beyond unhappy players is something you always want to avoid, regardless of who's at fault.

Hopefully it's the lesser of the two evils (ie. illness). Some of the other players seemed a bit off as well. Jefferson missed some shots that are normally his bread and butter around the basket.

Dukehky
03-17-2017, 09:51 PM

He was limping around the whole game, didn't participate in the lay-up lines, and was guzzling water the entire game. He was sitting next to and talking to Jose the whole game. I thin this is an injury/illness rather than attitude/punishment. He would get kicked off the bench if he didn't get up to welcome players off the court. I have however, seen them be told to not get up if they are hurt.

I think this is injury related. I think if we're lucky enough to move forward, Marques has one more big game. Maybe a lot of rebounds and a block against Baylor or something.

I don't think he's going to declare for the draft either. That's just giving up too much money with his measurables. If he commits to working his butt off, he'll be a top 15 pick, gotta assume that's going to be a big part of the conversation after this season.

Troublemaker
03-17-2017, 09:54 PM
He was limping around the whole game, didn't participate in the lay-up lines, and was guzzling water the entire game. He was sitting next to and talking to Jose the whole game. I thin this is an injury/illness rather than attitude/punishment. He would get kicked off the bench if he didn't get up to welcome players off the court. I have however, seen them be told to not get up if they are hurt.

I think this is injury related. I think if we're lucky enough to move forward, Marques has one more big game. Maybe a lot of rebounds and a block against Baylor or something.

I don't think he's going to declare for the draft either. That's just giving up too much money with his measurables. If he commits to working his butt off, he'll be a top 15 pick, gotta assume that's going to be a big part of the conversation after this season.

Exactly.

Think about it, people. What's one really good reason for not high-fiving your teammates (that has nothing to do with Marques pouting)? Even if you're not an M.D., you can figure this one out.

Dukehky
03-17-2017, 09:55 PM
Exactly.

Think about it, people. What's one really good reason for not high-fiving your teammates (that has nothing to do with Marques pouting)? Even if you're not an M.D., you can figure this one out.

I know I know!!!!!!!

If you're sick!!!!

SCMatt33
03-17-2017, 09:56 PM
How many more games will we be subjected to Chris Webber? The worst announcer by a mile.

I'm gonna have to disagree here. In the sense that everyone hates everyone I guess, but I'd take CWebb any day of the week over Elmore, Reggie Miller, Clark Kellogg, I could go on. I've already heard Elmore say "tired legs" like five times today and want to punch something.

Furniture
Duke won! Hip hip hooray!

kshepinthehouse

Seems like better D when we went to zone. That seems to be a common theme the last few games.

bluenorth
03-17-2017, 09:57 PM

Thanks for the observations, which offer a good explanation. The draft projections I've seen lately have Tatum, Giles and Kennard going in the first round. Bolden isn't mentioned. But there's plenty of time for that topic after the tournament. More wins ahead!

scottdude8
03-17-2017, 09:57 PM
Exactly.

Good point. I gotta stop letting my pessimism seep into my basketball, which is the one part of my life where optimism reigns!

scottdude8
03-17-2017, 10:00 PM
I'm gonna have to disagree here. In the sense that everyone hates everyone I guess, but I'd take CWebb any day of the week over Elmore, Reggie Miller, Clark Kellogg, I could go on. I've already heard Elmore say "tired legs" like five times today and want to punch something.

I'd take my little sister over Len Elmore. He's been dead to me ever since he continuously confused Zoubek and Koubek, even while BRIAN ZOUBEK WAS SPELLED OUT ON THE SCREEN FOR STARTING LINEUPS.

That, and he's also an idiot whose best analyses amount to Madden-like "you've got to score more points than the there team" statements.

Ugh.

jacone21
03-17-2017, 10:01 PM
Here's a happy thought!

WHOneedsSOX

Good to know it wasn't cause he was pouting. That would have looked really bad on his part to the point where Coach K probably tells him not to dress the rest of the season.

Reggie Miller is by far the worst. He just talks about how things are done at UCLA. "If he was playing at UCLA they wouldn't be doing ____." So stupid. No one cares that you played for UCLA 25 years ago.

kAzE
I only caught the end of the Coach K presser just now . . . was he asked at all about Bolden? This is beyond confusing now.

Other than that, really happy we won comfortably with some good D at the end. Still felt a bit unsatisfying, because we missed a few good opportunities to put it away early. Frank and Grayson each had 2 missed front end of 1-and-1s, that was brutal, basically amounted to 4 turnovers . . .

Still, definitely a lot of positives as well. Matt was hitting, and looked confident on offense. This was our first easy one in a pretty long time, and wisely, he was a bit more aggressive on offense, trying to build his own confidence for the battles ahead. Looks like the Notre Dame shot got him over that cold streak.

Grayson looked good, Jayson looked GREAT, though at times a bit out of control with the ball. His defense is really good now. I thought he was going to be another all-offense, awful defense guy (in the footsteps of Jahlil and Jabari) coming in to this season, but he might be our overall most versatile defender. He's clearly the most talented player on the team, and maybe of anyone in the country. Lonzo Ball and Markelle Fultz ain't getting 4 steals and 4 blocks with a double double, I'll tell you that right now. Jayson is awesome!!

duke4ever19
03-17-2017, 10:02 PM

I'm a huge C-Webb fan. I love it whenever he's on Inside the NBA in the place of Shaq and teamed with the Sir Charles, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson.

Dukehky
03-17-2017, 10:03 PM
Per Nate James... Marques Bolden may have the flu.

Check out any Duke reporter on twitter and they will confirm,

https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/842918372358742020

MPandolfi
03-17-2017, 10:04 PM
Looks like Nate James said Bolden may have the flu.

BlueDevilBrowns
This was an impressive win:

A week after the monumental achievement of winning the ACCT.

Amile and Kennard not playing up to their usual standards.

We miss several front end of 1 and 1's on free throws.

The team is bitten by the flu bug...

And we STILL win by 22.

Instead of nitpicking and fretting about Bolden's body language, we should celebrate how locked-in this team is right now.

TJ99
He also didn't go thru handshake line, went directly to locker room (per Luke DeCock's twitter)

brevity
03-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Reggie Miller is by far the worst. He just talks about how things are done at UCLA. "If he was playing at UCLA they wouldn't be doing ____." So stupid. No one cares that you played for UCLA 25 years ago.

"I didn't know Cheryl Miller's little brother played basketball." - Some Northwestern mom (http://seinfeldism.com/seinfeld-quote.php?id=1868)

duke4ever19
03-17-2017, 10:05 PM
Looks like Nate James said Bolden may have the flu.

Dang it. Don't want this being passed around. Oh well.

KandG
03-17-2017, 10:06 PM
Solid win. As K said, team's energy was really good from the start, especially the core vets from the 2015 championship, Grayson/Amile/Matt. Frank might have been the best freshman in terms of composure throughout the game, rarely forcing things.

Jayson was the most important player outside of Amile and Matt on D with a strong all around effort. On offense, I thought he regressed to some of his pouty early season tendencies when some decisions didn't go his way on offense (something K specifically mentioned even while praising his overall game). I assume Jayson will look at some film and listen to the coaches and attack a little more smartly on Sunday.

Rough game for Luke, but I take it as a one game blip (his looks were mostly good), and he'll be raring to redeem himself on Sunday.

Glad K took time to address Harry's play, which was symptomatic of his worst struggles all season. When he gets in foul trouble, he gets tentative and damages the overall defensive structure. On the plus side, Vrank gave good minutes and though I'd rather see the Harry we saw in the last two weeks for succeeding games, Vrank does provide value in the way he uses his size, and he rebounds better than Bolden or Jeter this late in the season.

Hard to read much more into this game given the quality of opposition. Troy was very game but it was clear that even when they did a lot of things right and got the second half lead down to nine, it wasn't going to be enough to make up the talent gap. I think I enjoyed good Grayson and good shooting Matt more than anything else, but now I'm looking forward to seeing us raise our level of play for a tough game Sunday.

Saratoga2
03-17-2017, 10:10 PM
Troy has some very good offensive players who we had trouble stopping. What we had was more firepower and our defense forced them into more turnovers.

Grayson was certainly back tonight in a big way. Frank had a very good and consistent game. Matt played well and Jayson was very good overall but did make some miscues he could avoid if he played more under control. We shall see SMU went down. I didn't see that coming.

kAzE
03-17-2017, 10:12 PM
I think the key thing with the switch start Frank over Grayson is that it kind allows both Grayson and Jayson to spread their wings on offense. While Grayson starts on the bench, Jayson gets to be the main focus on offense, and establish himself early. Then Grayson comes in and runs the show for a bit, and then down the stretch, they take turns, after both of them had already gotten a rhythm going.

It makes sense, because putting 2 really ball dominant players on the floor to start a game could mess with both of them. Both Jayson and Grayson are high usage rate guys, and it's not always a perfect fit. But this way, it works just a little bit better. Neither of them are quite as good as Luke off the ball.

duke4ever19
03-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Does anybody know if the game will be available to re-watch?

NashvilleDevil
03-17-2017, 10:56 PM
I hope the bug that's going around is not just starting. Fellas need to rest and hydrate tonight and tomorrow.

Furniture
03-17-2017, 11:01 PM
Garlic and vitamin C!

uh_no
03-17-2017, 11:06 PM
you'll get little analysis from me until duke has won it all.

DDMF.

except that matt jones was 3-5 from 3. maybe some people will set down that hatorade......

Furniture
03-17-2017, 11:11 PM

DDMF.

Hopefully I speak for everyone. We will tough it out. I believe this DBR team can survive (and advance) until then without your expertise.

uh_no
03-17-2017, 11:22 PM
Hopefully I speak for everyone. We will tough it out. I believe this DBR team can survive (and advance) until then without your expertise.

:) While I know that my expertise has a massive effect on Duke's ability to win games, I fully agree with you that both the team and my colleagues here will persevere. In K I trust. Go Duke. Go Duke. Go Duke.

This team, and these posters are that good.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Per Nate James... Marques Bolden may have the flu.

Check out any Duke reporter on twitter and they will confirm,

https://twitter.com/AdamRoweTDD/status/842918372358742020

If this is true, then why in the h*ll is he sitting on the bench with our other players?

uh_no
03-17-2017, 11:30 PM
If this is true, then why in the h*ll is he sitting on the bench with our other players?

wow! you're right! you should call up the coaching staff and alert them to the contagious nature of viral infections! :D

It's quite possible he's over the worst of it by now and is likely non-communicable. I have a hard time criticizing duke doctors.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 11:37 PM
wow! you're right! you should call up the coaching staff and alert them to the contagious nature of viral infections! :D

It's quite possible he's over the worst of it by now and is likely non-communicable. I have a hard time criticizing duke doctors.

Yet, it was suggested in the other, now closed, Bolden thread that this was the reason he didn't want to touch/high five the other players... because he may have the flu.

Infectious disease and sports medicine are pretty different disciplines, but I digress...

uh_no
03-17-2017, 11:41 PM
Infectious disease and sports medicine are pretty different disciplines.

I'm guessing the team has ample access to experts in either.

Ichabod Drain
03-17-2017, 11:42 PM
Troy had much more talent than the Mercer team who beat us.
Nope

Langston Hall had more talent in his pinky toe than that Troy team.

gofurman
03-18-2017, 01:41 AM

Yeah but they (staff) didn't allow Bolden to touch other players (high five) but you let him sit on the bench ? I don't know. Just seems a little risky. If a guy isn't allowed to touch people - and Bolden wasn't - they clearly don't feel great about his being non-communicable. Why take the risk?? There is basically NO upside to his being there near the rest of the guys and there is a huge downside. The only upside to his being that close to the teammates is a little cheer leading. And he wasn't even doing that. I don't get why he was there

Doria
03-18-2017, 01:50 AM
More details about Marques (or at least in one place, rather than spread across twitter): http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article139337003.html

Sounds like he's been feeling pretty bad. Hope he's coming out of it now.

Nice to have a game that didn't leave me too queasy to eat. Also, Coach K's 91st NCAAT win, I think!

ricks68
03-18-2017, 02:19 AM

I hope I am wrong about this--------as my record will usually confirm--------but I noticed that Coach K's face was exceptionally red during the game and his ears were very red and shiny in the post game floor interview, along with Grayson's glassy(?) eyes after his first rest on the bench, that appeared to me as some possible acute health issues present. (I know that was really poor sentence structure, but I think my point was made.) I remarked about what I saw to Mrs Ricks, while watching the game with her, so it was before anything about the flu came out. This is extremely worrisome to me. Verga comes to mind, unfortunately.:(

ricks

gofurman
03-18-2017, 02:33 AM
More details about Marques (or at least in one place, rather than spread across twitter): http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article139337003.html

Nice to have a game that didn't leave me too queasy to eat. Also, Coach K's 91st NCAAT win, I think!

And there you go. For whomever posted upstream that the staff certainly wouldn't have Bolden there if it were contagious... The article states that the staff now thinks they need to quarantine him so others don't get it. That Sounds to me like he shouldn't have been there. Nothing would be worse than the ... I won't even say it. Please be heathy. Please.

TruBlu
03-18-2017, 05:57 AM
Garlic and vitamin C!

Garlic might also keep the Gamecocks from guarding too closely.

bluedev_92
03-18-2017, 07:54 AM

I'm not a Michigan fan at all & have always despised the "fab five", but I though Webber did a fine job.

Bob Green
03-18-2017, 08:00 AM
Post game press conference link:

http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ID=6019767

Coach K says the time had really good energy. Grayson Allen and Jayson Tatum answer questions.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2017, 08:04 AM
I'm a huge C-Webb fan. I love it whenever he's on Inside the NBA in the place of Shaq and teamed with the Sir Charles, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson.

My annoyance with Webber last night stemmed from his raving about how good our defense is and how great we are at fIlling passing lanes.

Historically? Yes. Last night? Yes. Recently? Absolutely not. It was a distractingly awkward comment for him to repeat every 3 minutes.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2017, 08:07 AM

DDMF.

except that matt jones was 3-5 from 3. maybe some people will set down that hatorade...

I don't like your lack of energy or your body language. Even if you aren't going to post, you can at least stand and cheer for thr posts of others.

I think you are transferring to the UConn message boards.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-18-2017, 08:10 AM

Doria - message boards are for hyperbole, conjecture, and wild speculation... not linked articles with quotes and facts.

:)

Brockt10
03-18-2017, 08:17 AM
Doria - message boards are for hyperbole, conjecture, and wild speculation... not linked articles with quotes and facts.

:)

Facts you say? SouthernCalifornia was Discovered by the Germans in 1904, they named it San Diego, which of course in German means ‘a whale’s vagina

Indoor66
03-18-2017, 08:43 AM
Dang it. Don't want this being passed around. Oh well.

Neither does the Duke Med staff.

moonpie23
03-18-2017, 08:50 AM
this team is battle tested in close games down the stretch....much like the 2010 team, when it got down to a slug-fest in the final 3 mins, they had experience in closing out...

i like this team's chances in a close one as well...

LastRowFan
03-18-2017, 08:55 AM
From the News and Observer:

Duke’s Marques Bolden is ill, not disinterested

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article139337003.html

jv001
03-18-2017, 08:55 AM

You.should.listen.to.John.Thompson.on.the.radio.br oadcast.Very.bad.GoDuke

spacebar.still.not.working.

davekay1971
03-18-2017, 08:59 AM
You.should.listen.to.John.Thompson.on.the.radio.br oadcast.Very.bad.GoDuke

spacebar.still.not.working.

Marques Bolden obviously infected your keyboard. Crap. It's spreading and.it's.worse.than.we.thought...

jv001
03-18-2017, 09:02 AM
Marques Bolden obviously infected your keyboard. Crap. It's spreading and.it's.worse.than.we.thought...

Must.spread.those.sporks.around.Funny.:cool:GoDuke

uh_no
03-18-2017, 09:17 AM
I don't like your lack of energy or your body language.

Sorry. I think I had the flu :P

WVDUKEFAN
03-18-2017, 09:19 AM
My man Harry Giles didn't do a whole lot. I'm still waiting for that breakout game. It's coming.

DukieInBrasil
03-18-2017, 09:29 AM
Nope

Langston Hall had more talent in his pinky toe than that Troy team.

Gotta disagree with that. They had 2 reasonably good players, Varnado and Person. There was a pretty steep drop-off after them, but those 2 can play.

superdave
03-18-2017, 09:58 AM
this team is battle tested in close games down the stretch...much like the 2010 team, when it got down to a slug-fest in the final 3 mins, they had experience in closing out...

i like this team's chances in a close one as well...

Been seeing this for a few months now. This team can scrap down the stretch and makes plays. A big time trait for a team in March.

chriso
03-18-2017, 10:04 AM
Been seeing this for a few months now. This team can scrap down the stretch and makes plays. A big time trait for a team in March.
Yes. I was very impressed with how we got out of the gate fast and didn't let them hang around. A true sign of a veteran team. And when Vrank plays, he plays very much like a veteran. I like his game. :cool:

richardjackson199
03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Gotta disagree with that. They had 2 reasonably good players, Varnado and Person. There was a pretty steep drop-off after them, but those 2 can play.

Yep - I was referring to Varnado and Person. I thought Alex Hicks and Devon Walker also looked pretty talented. Hollimon had potential to get hot. I saw nothing beyond those 5.

Duke came out locked in, playing defense (2nd half), and playing this 15 seed with the same intensity and togetherness I saw in the 2015 tourney. I think that was wise. Not many crazy upsets in the first round, but if that Troy team had been matched with somebody who took them lightly, I think Troy could have knocked off a giant. I'm just thankful we never entertained that option last night.

duke74
03-18-2017, 11:13 AM
I'm not a Michigan fan at all & have always despised the "fab five", but I though Webber did a fine job.

And was complimentary to our program...

BandAlum83
03-18-2017, 11:14 AM
I don't like your lack of energy or your body language. Even if you aren't going to post, you can at least stand and cheer for thr posts of others.

I think you are transferring to the UConn message boards.

He is clapping in his head.

It's loud in there!

Rich
03-18-2017, 11:40 AM
And was complimentary to our program...

Almost overly so. He was recruited heavily by Duke and I'm sure has had a relationship with Coach K over the years. I found his commentary to add little value from a basketball perspective and the compliments towards Duke seemed a bit over the top. Frankly, if I were rooting for Troy I would've been annoyed.

Ichabod Drain
03-18-2017, 12:33 PM

It's not a big deal but RPI, Kenpom, and every other metric will show that 2014 Mercer was head and shoulders above this Troy team. I would say all of Mercers starters except for Gollon would start on this Troy team.

Olympic Fan
03-18-2017, 02:33 PM
It's not a big deal but RPI, Kenpom, and every other metric will show that 2014 Mercer was head and shoulders above this Troy team. I would say all of Mercers starters except for Gollon would start on this Troy team.

I just looked it up, KenPom had Mercer at No. 87 in 2014 ... Troy at 136 (and 2012 Lehigh at 78).

I might argue that in terms of raw talent, Troy was as good or maybe better than Mercer, but Mercer -- with five seniors, including a fifth year guy, and two juniors in the rotation, was a more cohesive experienced TEAM.

devildeac
03-18-2017, 03:42 PM
Pure speculation, but Coach mentioned that a number of players were sick.

Also heard this.

Kedsy
03-18-2017, 06:26 PM
this team is battle tested in close games down the stretch...much like the 2010 team, when it got down to a slug-fest in the final 3 mins, they had experience in closing out...

Not that much experience. Between December 6, 2009 and the start of the 2010 ACC Tournament, the 2010 team played just four games with a final margin in single digits, and we lost two of those four. Then we won two close games to win the ACCT, and two close games in the NCAAT, including the championship game.

I think in general, teams that win by big margins are better than teams that win by small margins (assuming the schedules are similar). Though I agree having experience in high-tension late-game situations is a nice club to have in your bag.

MaxAMillion
03-18-2017, 06:32 PM
Not that much experience. Between December 6, 2009 and the start of the 2010 ACC Tournament, the 2010 team played just four games with a final margin in single digits, and we lost two of those four. Then we won two close games to win the ACCT, and two close games in the NCAAT, including the championship game.

I think in general, teams that win by big margins are better than teams that win by small margins (assuming the schedules are similar). Though I agree having experience in high-tension late-game situations is a nice club to have in your bag.

Agreed... I think this years team is not as good as either of the recent title teams. The defense is not as good in the interior.

duke74
03-18-2017, 06:53 PM
Almost overly so. He was recruited heavily by Duke and I'm sure has had a relationship with Coach K over the years. I found his commentary to add little value from a basketball perspective and the compliments towards Duke seemed a bit over the top. Frankly, if I were rooting for Troy I would've been annoyed.

But we weren't :D

Such a difference though from some of the others, include a couple members of the "Brotherhood."

CDu
03-18-2017, 07:05 PM
Agreed... I think this years team is not as good as either of the recent title teams. The defense is not as good in the interior.

I think the interior defense is just fine. It is the perimeter defense that is shaky.

SoCalDukeFan
03-18-2017, 07:49 PM

Webber was brilliant and offered intelligent insights.

SoCal

NSDukeFan
03-18-2017, 09:07 PM
Yep - I was referring to Varnado and Person. I thought Alex Hicks and Devon Walker also looked pretty talented. Hollimon had potential to get hot. I saw nothing beyond those 5.

Duke came out locked in, playing defense (2nd half), and playing this 15 seed with the same intensity and togetherness I saw in the 2015 tourney. I think that was wise. Not many crazy upsets in the first round, but if that Troy team had been matched with somebody who took them lightly, I think Troy could have knocked off a giant. I'm just thankful we never entertained that option last night.

Are other teams allowed to have more than one EX-NBA player's son on the team? Let me also express my disappointment in uh_no's lack of analysis at this critical time of year. I think the board needs it.

Indoor66
03-19-2017, 08:06 AM
Are other teams allowed to have more than one EX-NBA player's son on the team? Let me also express my disappointment in uh_no's lack of analysis at this critical time of year. I think the board needs it.

I think he/she is engrossed in the Women's game right now. :p;):cool:

uh_no
03-19-2017, 10:34 AM
I think he/she is engrossed in the Women's game right now. :p;):cool:

I was actually in charge of restocking snacks in all the locker rooms for the games at cameron. So almost right! Certainly eonugh downtime to catch sufficient amounts of mens games, however not enough for analysis.