PDA

View Full Version : So proud of Chris Collins

rthomas
03-16-2017, 06:44 PM
Northwestern beats Vandy in the first round. Keep it going, Chris! 5 more games!

Doria
03-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Whatever happens later, though, this is a big win for the program (and for him)! Congrats, and good on him for doing the Duke crowd proud!

Edouble
03-16-2017, 06:45 PM
Uh, let's make it 3 more games.

I felt immense pride watching Collins' post game interview also. Excellent effort by the Wildcats this season!

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2017, 06:48 PM

I felt immense pride watching Collins' post game interview also. Excellent effort by the Wildcats this season!

yeah, i'm all in favor of NW winning a few games, but not the whole tourney! my allegiance is to Duke first, and then the rest...

Doria
03-16-2017, 06:48 PM

This. I'm really, really happy for Chris, but at the end of the day, I've gotta root against him if comes up against Duke.

ipatent
03-16-2017, 06:50 PM
Great win, they hung tough at the end (with a little help from two bad Vandy fouls). Confidence builder.

DukeDevilDeb
03-16-2017, 06:56 PM
Northwestern beats Vandy in the first round. Keep it going, Chris! 5 more games!

Me too! I had Chris in class during his junior year at Duke. He is a great person and a better coach than his dad. But he learned from the best!

rdgilby
03-16-2017, 09:18 PM
When I saw Doug holding back the tears of pride, I could keep myself from getting misty!

moonpie23
03-16-2017, 09:30 PM
great win for chris, the staff, players and school......couple more wins in this tourny for them won't be a bad thing.....:cool:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 10:07 PM
When I saw Doug holding back the tears of pride, I could keep myself from getting misty!

I didn't see him holding back anything.

CoachJ10
03-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Northwestern has gone from never being in the NCAA tournament to now being undefeated in the NCAA tournament.

BigZ
03-16-2017, 10:59 PM
Has anyone here ever seen a player mistakenly foul like that? I can't recall ever seeing that before

YmoBeThere
03-16-2017, 11:16 PM
Has anyone here ever seen a player mistakenly foul like that? I can't recall ever seeing that before

Fisher-Davis has a reputation for doing boneheaded things...

Bluedog
03-16-2017, 11:54 PM

Yep I recall it happening in the NCAA tournament a few years ago in a Pitt/Butler game. Although not as egregious perhaps, Pitt was at the line with 1 second left down 1. Sinks the first, tie game. Missed the second and Pitt inexplicably grabs Butler rebounder's arm (specifically Howard) 90 feet from basket.... Howard makes FT, Butler wins. Before that, Butler committed a seriously stupid foul themselves with 2 seconds left at midcourt up 1 to put the Pitt guy at the line to begin with. Some wacky endings indeed....

BandAlum83
03-17-2017, 12:17 AM

I'm not really sure it made a difference. NW was probably going to score anyway. It gave Vandy more time to work for a good shot. The true bonehead play was the long 3 attempt with 4 seconds on the clock and down only 1. You gotta drive the ball there to draw the foul or hit the 2.

Skydog
03-17-2017, 12:42 AM
Yep I recall it happening in the NCAA tournament a few years ago in a Pitt/Butler game. Although not as egregious perhaps, Pitt was at the line with 1 second left down 1. Sinks the first, tie game. Missed the second and Pitt inexplicably grabs Butler rebounder's arm (specifically Howard) 90 feet from basket... Howard makes FT, Butler wins. Before that, Butler committed a seriously stupid foul themselves with 2 seconds left at midcourt up 1 to put the Pitt guy at the line to begin with. Some wacky endings indeed...

What you described is much worse than the Fisher-Davis mistake. The Pitt foul basically changed the game from a) lets see who wins overtime to b) lets give Butler a free ft (or was it 2?) to win it and if he misses then we will go to ot.

The F-D mistake put NW at the line rather than allowing them to continue their run of play possession. That was a bit of an advantage to NW since the guy was a good ft shooter but there was no guarantee that the 2 ft's would yield more points than NW would have scored on that possession otherwise. No foul and it's not that unlikely that NW scored 2 or even 3 and left Vandy even less time to catch up. For sure the foul helped NW's odds but it wasn't a flat out gift like the Pitt mistake you describe. I just think some of the press is overstating the degree of blunder because they get more clicks that way.

jacone21
03-17-2017, 12:56 AM
The F-D mistake put NW at the line rather than allowing them to continue their run of play possession. That was a bit of an advantage to NW since the guy was a good ft shooter but there was no guarantee that the 2 ft's would yield more points than NW would have scored on that possession otherwise. No foul and it's not that unlikely that NW scored 2 or even 3 and left Vandy even less time to catch up. For sure the foul helped NW's odds but it wasn't a flat out gift like the Pitt mistake you describe. I just think some of the press is overstating the degree of blunder because they get more clicks that way.

If I were Fisher-Davis, that's the exact rationalization I would be using to allow me to sleep.

Saratoga2
03-17-2017, 06:55 AM

Anyone with a dash in his name is suspect.

Saratoga2
03-17-2017, 06:57 AM
What you described is much worse than the Fisher-Davis mistake. The Pitt foul basically changed the game from a) lets see who wins overtime to b) lets give Butler a free ft (or was it 2?) to win it and if he misses then we will go to ot.

Maybe their coach bears some blame as well for using up all the time outs.

ipatent
03-17-2017, 07:01 AM

That was terrible.

YmoBeThere
03-17-2017, 07:38 AM
Maybe their coach bears some blame as well for using up all the time outs.

So, I didn't watch the game as I was at work and didn't have access to the broadcast, but my understanding is that he(F-D) shares part of the blame for using up all the timeouts. Apparently, Bryce Drew and the team must not be getting the same deal from their local Mickey D's franchisee that Ol' Roy is getting. One free Happy Meal for each unused time out turned in(offer only good the day after a game).

MPandolfi
03-17-2017, 08:12 AM
I'm not really sure it made a difference. NW was probably going to score anyway. It gave Vandy more time to work for a good shot. The true bonehead play was the long 3 attempt with 4 seconds on the clock and down only 1. You gotta drive the ball there to draw the foul or hit the 2.

Couldn't agree with you more. Fisher-Davis' foul was a serious mental lapse, but Vandy was able to drive and score on something like the last 10 points. The long three was unnecessary and what happens when you watch too many Warriors games.

Indoor66
03-17-2017, 09:00 AM
Anyone with a dash in his name is suspect.

No one answers this question and inquiring minds want to know: If Mr. Smith-Jones has children with Ms. Baker-Candle Stick Maker, do their cidren use Smith-Jones-Baker-Candle Stick Maker as their last name - in order to properly honor their parents? If not, why not?

sagegrouse
03-17-2017, 09:18 AM

Yes, in the Brainiac Tournament Game between academically-renowned universities, Northwestern and Vanderbilt, the Wildcats won both parts of the match-up -- brains and basketball. Matthew Fisher-Davis's foul was the worst unforced mental error in the NCAA's since the Chris Webber disastrous timeout call in 1993. Did someone on the bench yell "no foul," and Fisher-Davis hear "foul?"

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'BTW, isn't what happened to Herr Webber -- the bench yelled "no timeouts" and Chris heard "timeout?" BTW, Chris is part of the broadcasting team at Greenville and will get to cover both of his nemeses, Duke and North Carolina'

'On a different topic -- but a pet peeve -- can we at least spell the names of the Duke players correctly on DBR? in JD King's informative lead story and Al's excellent report from Greenville, Marques Bolden's name was rendered as "Marquise." There's probably a way to configure spell-check and auto-editor to fix this -- or, just maybe, this is an auto-correct problem'

Edouble
03-17-2017, 09:59 AM
Yes, in the Brainiac Tournament Game between academically-renowned universities, Northwestern and Vanderbilt, the Wildcats won both parts of the match-up -- brains and basketball. Matthew Fisher-Davis's foul was the worst unforced mental error in the NCAA's since the Chris Webber disastrous timeout call in 1993. Did someone on the bench yell "no foul," and Fisher-Davis hear "foul?"

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'BTW, isn't what happened to Herr Webber -- the bench yelled "no timeouts" and Chris heard "timeout?" BTW, Chris is part of the broadcasting team at Greenville and will get to cover both of his nemeses, Duke and North Carolina'

'On a different topic -- but a pet peeve -- can we at least spell the names of the Duke players correctly on DBR? in JD King's informative lead story and Al's excellent report from Greenville, Marques Bolden's name was rendered as "Marquise." There's probably a way to configure spell-check and auto-editor to fix this -- or, just maybe, this is an auto-correct problem'

I always heard it that Dean yelled "timeout".

Indoor66
03-17-2017, 10:09 AM
I always heard it that Dean yelled "timeout".

IMPOSSIBLE. All of Dean's timeouts are in his coffin.

kAzE
03-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Brey and Collins made it 2/2 for the Duke coaching tree yesterday. Wojo/Carawell and K up today for the chance to play each other.

I still think it's really out of character for a team coached by Wojo and Carawell to be way better at offense than defense, but I guess that's just their personnel.

Tom B.
03-17-2017, 10:35 AM
Matthew Fisher-Davis's foul was the worst unforced mental error in the NCAA's since the Chris Webber disastrous timeout call in 1993.

As long as we're reliving famous Tournament brain farts, Syracuse's Lawrence Moten repeated Webber's mistake (http://www.nytimes.com/1995/03/20/sports/ncaa-tournament-midwest-untimely-error-foils-orange-bid.html) a couple of years later, but it didn't get as much attention because it happened in the second round, not the title game. Also, Moten's error only resulted in overtime -- it didn't ice the game for the opponent, like Webber's did.

(In the clip below, the commentators keep saying that Lucious Jackson called the timeout, but it was Moten. You can see Moten signaling for the timeout as Jackson goes to the floor to corral the loose ball.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YguM79KUFn0

MChambers
03-17-2017, 10:46 AM
Brey and Collins made it 2/2 for the Duke coaching tree yesterday. Wojo/Carawell and K up today for the chance to play each other.

I still think it's really out of character for a team coached by Wojo and Carawell to be way better at offense than defense, but I guess that's just their personnel.

And for Collins's team to be better at defense than offense.

Doria
03-17-2017, 11:56 AM
IMPOSSIBLE. All of Dean's timeouts are in his coffin.

Who says you can't take it with you?! ;)

grateful_duke
03-17-2017, 01:59 PM
...except for it's my only L of my bracket so far... thanks a lot Chrisssss.... :rolleyes:

chriso
03-17-2017, 02:04 PM
Feel bad for the kid who fouled. Did he think they had a foul to give? Classy of the coach to have his back. I've done some dumb things; thankfully they were not on CBS. Hope the kid's okay.

MChambers
03-17-2017, 02:51 PM
Feel bad for the kid who fouled. Did he think they had a foul to give? Classy of the coach to have his back. I've done some dumb things; thankfully they were not on CBS. Hope the kid's okay.

He thought Vandy was a point down, and when the coach said pick up the point guard, he interpreted that as saying foul him.

duke79
03-17-2017, 02:53 PM

Agree with you here! Yea, it was NOT a smart move, at the time. Not sure what was going through his head but he acted on a quick impulse. Plus, it may have been academic anyways (as discussed above): Northwestern might have scored a 2 or 3 anyways, with the time left.