PDA

View Full Version : NCAA First Weekend (live thread)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 07:04 AM
So, as often as possible, I like to reserve these 4 days for nothing bur basketball. I call it my "religious holiday," and I am fortunate to be in a situation where no one is likely to question it.

There will be some sudsy beverages imbibes, some munchies snacked upon, some incredulous texts sent, buzzer beaters, upsets, near upsets, blowouts, etc.

I would like to host this thread here for a "live thread" of discussion of this weekend. Tell us what you are watching, which players are killing it, what upsets are brewing, what you are sipping on...

Anyway,get comfy in your favorite chair, keep the remote handy, and let's share a virtual experience.

Thursday early games upset watch: Winthrop... let's keep an eye on that one.

uh_no
03-16-2017, 11:16 AM
So, as often as possible, I like to reserve these 4 days for nothing bur basketball. I call it my "religious holiday," and I am fortunate to be in a situation where no one is likely to question it.

There will be some sudsy beverages imbibes, some munchies snacked upon, some incredulous texts sent, buzzer beaters, upsets, near upsets, blowouts, etc.

I would like to host this thread here for a "live thread" of discussion of this weekend. Tell us what you are watching, which players are killing it, what upsets are brewing, what you are sipping on...

Anyway,get comfy in your favorite chair, keep the remote handy, and let's share a virtual experience.

I have a 40" tv on my desk at work that gets used ~4 days a year: first two days of the tournament, and first two days of the masters.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 11:19 AM
I have a 40" tv on my desk at work that gets used ~4 days a year: first two days of the tournament, and first two days of the masters.

It doesn't get used for the ACC tournament? Or do you take those days off and work from home or the nearest sports bar?

brevity
03-16-2017, 11:37 AM
I am fortunate to be in a situation where no one is likely to question it.

So... you're alone?

The first batch of games start in less than an hour: Princeton-Notre Dame, UNCW-Virginia, Winthrop-Butler, and South Dakota State-Gonzaga. Can Hurley 2.0 stick it to the Jersey Boys? Will the before pictures in a haircut ad find some offense? Does the Selection Committee have a fetish pairing off past Cinderellas in the first round? And will Gonzaga ensure that 16 seeds remain winless against 1 seeds, at least until Friday?

Wish we could chat, but this will have to do.

uh_no
03-16-2017, 11:44 AM
It doesn't get used for the ACC tournament? Or do you take those days off and work from home or the nearest sports bar?

I was out skiing :)

And yes, I have watched parts of games on my phone above the treeline.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 11:59 AM
I just got to BWW and got my table, the one with 3 tvs in front of me. I got my IPA in hand. Let the madness begin! The first 3 games look interesting too!

dukebluesincebirth
03-16-2017, 12:06 PM
I just got to BWW and got my table, the one with 3 tvs in front of me. I got my IPA in hand. Let the madness begin! The first 3 games look interesting too!

#jealous. Enjoy!

uh_no
03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
lace em up, boys, here we go!

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 12:17 PM
I see Jim Spanarkle is teamed with vern for the ND game.

Does Jim do broadcasts during the season for some network or conference?

aimo
03-16-2017, 12:22 PM
So, my work computer only has IE, and the website to watch says IE does not support HTML5. Any suggestions?

Spanarkel
03-16-2017, 12:26 PM

He provides color commentary for the Brooklyn Nets(Yes Network)televised games. I heard him do a college game several weeks ago(can't remember who was playing).

BLPOG
03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
So, my work computer only has IE, and the website to watch says IE does not support HTML5. Any suggestions?

I think IE 9+ should support HTML5. Even if you can't install a different browser, can't you update your version of IE?

If you are restricted from doing so, you should send out an email complaining about the security risks and productivity losses involved in using such a garbage browser and insist that the technology support team upgrade everyone to newer versions or better browsers.

Doria
03-16-2017, 12:42 PM
I'm switching between the two early ACC games while (haha) working. Obviously, if there are other games close coming down to the wire (or if the ACC games are boring or blowouts), I'll switch to more interesting things.

aimo
03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
I think IE 9+ should support HTML5. Even if you can't install a different browser, can't you update your version of IE?

If you are restricted from doing so, you should send out an email complaining about the security risks and productivity losses involved in using such a garbage browser and insist that the technology support team upgrade everyone to newer versions or better browsers.

that won't be happening. I'll just watch the score updates, I guess. SIGH!

Doria
03-16-2017, 12:47 PM
that won't be happening. I'll just watch the score updates, I guess. SIGH!

I remember some days at work, continuously pressing F5 on the scores page... Great use of work time. Maybe you should come down with the flu tomorrow (depending on where you live).

It's the most wonderful time of the year! When my roommate was bringing me my morning beverages, he laughed at my "Christmas morning" excitement, but he's only been a Duke/CBB fan for a couple years.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-16-2017, 12:50 PM
Fake a stomach ache and go home.

aimo
03-16-2017, 12:58 PM
Fake a stomach ache and go home.

I heard about a recent news report that there is an uptick this time of year in men taking off a couple of days to have vasectomies. Speaking as a woman, is it worth it, guys?

Doria
03-16-2017, 01:00 PM
I heard about a recent news report that there is an uptick this time of year in men taking off a couple of days to have vasectomies. Speaking as a woman, is it worth it, guys?

Wait, but do they actually go through with the surgeries?! How would they watch the games? This seems like a very shortsighted plan to me.

Spanarkel
03-16-2017, 01:01 PM
Former ACC referee("judge/jury/executioner") Karl Hess is working the UVa vs. UNC-W game today.

Doria
03-16-2017, 01:02 PM
Former ACC referee("judge/jury/executioner") Karl Hess is working the UVa vs. UNC-W game today.

Wow, a probably ugly game gets uglier.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 01:07 PM
ND played down to Princeton for a lot of the first half. ND finally started driving to get some separation heading into the half.

UVA IS IN TROUBLE. UNCW IS PRESSING THEM LIKE Duke did, is more athletic, and hitting shots. I don't think UVA will be able to keep up with them.

cato
Oh, Virginia. Why do I ever pick you?

Edouble

This is pretty much me too.

I am self employed. Taking the next four days off.

Currently watching the Wahoos playing very tight. Seahawks playing loose. Not looking good right now for Virginia. Nothing seems to be going their way.

Doria
03-16-2017, 01:08 PM

Ditto... I mean, actually I know that I figured they were due for a good game or two. Sigh.

Troublemaker
03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
UVA in big trouble against UNC-W. Keatts is a Pitino disciple, but his current team isn't anything like the current Louisville team. Small, quick, spread you out and shoot threes. Just a complete headache for UVA's pack line. And UVA can't score.

Matches
03-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Wait, but do they actually go through with the surgeries?! How would they watch the games? This seems like a very shortsighted plan to me.

Have the surgery in the morning - it's outpatient in the doctor's office, takes 30 min or less. Go home, apply a bag of frozen peas to the... affected area, and chill for the rest of the day per doctor's orders.

Doria
03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
This is pretty much me too.

I am self employed. Taking the next four days off.

Currently watching the Wahoos playing very tight. Seahawks playing loose. Not looking good right now for Virginia. Nothing seems to be going their way.

Man, I'm self-employed, too, but not in such a way that I can plausibly take four days off (at least at this time... it's the end of the TV season, so everything's last minute and needs to be done ASAP :rolleyes:). I need new self-employment. I'm self-employed in all the wrong ways!

Edouble
03-16-2017, 01:11 PM
I picked UVA to lose to Florida in the next round, but figured the #1 defense in the country is good for one win.

daveduke76
03-16-2017, 01:14 PM

If they lose all my brackets are down the tubes, ah well,

Edouble
03-16-2017, 01:15 PM
UVA in big trouble against UNC-W. Keatts is a Pitino disciple, but his current team isn't anything like the current Louisville team. Small, quick, spread you out and shoot threes. Just a complete headache for UVA's pack line. And UVA can't score.

Keatts lobbying hard right now for a Power Five job (NCSU) with the inspired play of his team.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 01:19 PM
Wow, first TO for UNC-W at the 5:46 mark of the first half... against the #1 defense in the country?!?! :eek:

Doria
03-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Keatts lobbying hard right now for a Power Five job (NCSU) with the inspired play of his team.

The fan base, at least, already would like to get him, from what I've seen and heard. He doesn't have to ruin my brackets! (I jest... I put about three minutes of thought into them, so they will most assuredly be laughable, even if UVA somehow pulls it out).

Edouble
03-16-2017, 01:22 PM
16-2 run by UNCW
12-2 run by UVA
Madness!!!

grad_devil
03-16-2017, 01:22 PM
UVA finally starting to show some life, after being down double digits in the first half. My bracket hopes they keep this run rolling for at least the next 60 game minutes.

Spanarkel
03-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Perhaps in recognition/celebration of the uptick in March Madness vasectomies, UNC-W's Devontae Cacok, a 58% FT shooter, just drained 2/2 from the line. I don't remember his doing much against us last year. At least Cacok doesn't play for the Gamecocks, whose fans are already far too fond of sporting baseball caps with
half its nickname in large letters.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Man, I'm self-employed, too, but not in such a way that I can plausibly take four days off (at least at this time... it's the end of the TV season, so everything's last minute and needs to be done ASAP :rolleyes:). I need new self-employment. I'm self-employed in all the wrong ways!

Try to take off next weekend instead! I hear that's pretty good! :o

JNort
03-16-2017, 01:26 PM
This was a tough one for me to pick. 1/3 of my brackets have UVA losing here

Troublemaker
03-16-2017, 01:30 PM
UVA comes back to lead at the half. Bennett's adjustment was to just switch everything on defense. He even played 5 guards during their big run to facilitate that. That eliminated UNCW's pick and roll game that was giving them trouble.

Reilly
03-16-2017, 01:30 PM
Wait, but do they actually go through with the surgeries?! How would they watch the games? ...

Eyesight should not be affected -- brain function/thinking about the games may be.

.. Go home, apply a bag of frozen peas ...

Peas? More like Big Bertha's Green Peppers.

DukieInKansas
03-16-2017, 01:32 PM
UVA comes back to lead at the half. Bennett's adjustment was to just switch everything on defense. He even played 5 guards during their big run to facilitate that. That eliminated UNCW's pick and roll game that was giving them trouble.

Pick and roll can give a team trouble? Who knew! :D

monkey
03-16-2017, 01:39 PM
How is it possible that UVA is up at the half? At the halftime of the ND-Princeton game I know I heard Charles Barkley declare that the game was "over"...;)

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 01:42 PM
How is it possible that UVA is up at the half? At the halftime of the ND-Princeton game I know I heard Charles Barkley declare that the game was "over"...;)

Barkley is probably not the only one thinking the game over when UVA was down 26-11.

Hard to believe offense challenged UVA would close the half scoring 19 points, let alone do it as a part of a 19-3 run.

Mal
03-16-2017, 01:46 PM

Yes, and then at the half, he expressed his belief that UVA should just play a faster style all the time, apparently relying on the fact that they were killing Wilmington when doing so. As if that would help them beat the real UNC, or Duke, or Florida State, or...

Guy's a fool.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 01:48 PM
Yes, and then at the half, he expressed his belief that UVA should just play a faster style all the time, apparently relying on the fact that they were killing Wilmington when doing so. As if that would help them beat the real UNC, or Duke, or Florida State, or...

Guy's a fool.

tur-bull, Sir Charles!

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Colson having a tough game for nd.

Both nd and UVA have made good adjustments in their games.

I hope Duke is paying attention. Take it inside and exploit mismatches.

monkey
03-16-2017, 01:50 PM
Also, did I just hear someone at Princeton had learned Swahili? Please, please bring Tyler Hansborough on t.v. to discuss with have a conversation...

TNDukeFan
03-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Wait, Vern just made a comment about one of the Princeton guys learning Swahili. Spanarkel said "I can't go there with you"! Were they very subtly digging at Hanstravel et al?...

[great minds thinking alike, Monkey!]

TruBlu
03-16-2017, 01:52 PM

The first year it is worth it. Each subsequent year, you begin to question the wisdom. Plus, it gets increasingly difficult to find a doctor who is willing to perform a repeat surgery. And the insurance company is starting to have questions.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-16-2017, 01:52 PM
Also, did I just hear someone at Princeton had learned Swahili? Please, please bring Tyler Hansborough on t.v. to discuss with have a conversation...
You beat me to it. Devin Cannady learned to speak Swahili in Tanzania. I'd love to see him say something basic to some UNC swahili dudes and just soak in the blank stares.

monkey
03-16-2017, 01:53 PM
You beat me to it. Devin Cannady learned to speak Swahili in Tanzania. I'd love to see him say something basic to some UNC swahili dudes and just soak in the blank stares.

This.

Ggallagher
03-16-2017, 01:54 PM

I heard the same thing and had the exact same thought :)

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 01:58 PM
Bobby Hurley 2.0 with a horrendous turnover. Mike Brey not too happy.

yancem
03-16-2017, 02:01 PM
Not sure where to put this and don't want to start a new thread but espn has an insider article rating the top 25 players in the ncaa's and has Kennard at 16 and Tatum at 23. WTF!!!! I would think that both would be on anyone's top 10 list after watching the acc tournament.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 02:08 PM
Nd went over 5 min wo a fg, not good. Go acc, finish!

COlson waking up.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Nd went over 5 min wo a fg, not good. Go acc, finish!

COlson waking up.

My bracket is screwed if ND loses this. I've got a ND vs. Duke rematch in the Final Four.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 02:17 PM
Home with beer, sausage, chips, etc, only to find my brackets already teetering thanks y UVa and Notre Dame.

Let's go madness!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Ferrell's time out under duress was positively Hurley-like. Or something.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 02:19 PM
Home with beer, sausage, chips, etc, only to find my brackets already teetering thanks y UVa and Notre Dame.

Let's go madness!

I went south of the border with a burrito, salsa and chips. My bracket is also under threat.

cato
03-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Bobby would have hit that

Billy Dat
03-16-2017, 02:20 PM
Wow - down 1, I feel like you need to drive it there...he had a clean look though.

dukelifer
03-16-2017, 02:21 PM
Bobby would have hit that

ND dodged a bullet. Great look- just didn't go down.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
I went south of the border with a burrito, salsa and chips. My bracket is also under threat.

I have makings for bean dip tomorrow. Gotta think a play ahead.

Um, wow Notre Dame.

Edouble
Ferrel better than Hurley, eh? My a**.

cato
ND dodged a bullet. Great look- just didn't go down.

I was convinced it was going in.

DukieInKansas
Luck of the Irish.

monkey
03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
Whoa ... ND barely escapes - but happy for Brey and them...

dukelifer
03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
ACC struggling so far.

brevity
03-16-2017, 02:23 PM

You don't have to talk to Tyler Hansbrough to get a blank stare. It's his default look.

Ferrell was so clutch today, with the missed field goal and missed free throw. Hurley-esque for sure.

This may as well be the thread to talk about the commercials. It was weird to see the murderous Native American gang leader from Banshee in the Navy Federal ad (https://www.ispot.tv/ad/Azx1/navy-federal-credit-union-k9) (as the tough guy in the truck with his girlfriend's tiny dog).

monkey
03-16-2017, 02:24 PM
South Dakota State tied with Gonzaga halfway through first half --- go Jackrabbits...

Edouble
03-16-2017, 02:27 PM
South Dakota State tied with Gonzaga halfway through first half --- go Jackrabbits...

Yeah, this happened back in 2013 with the Olynyk team. I will never pick Gonzaga past the Sweet 16 until they finally deliver in March.

CDu
03-16-2017, 02:33 PM
UVa playing without Wilkins (sick), and now has suffered an injury to Perrantes (arm). Trying to hang on.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 02:33 PM
Perrantes playing well for uva. UVA playing solid so far down the stretch. Update - Perrantes injured, arm. Update to update - Perrantes back in, nice layin.

I had Winthrop over Butler, that is looking like a bad pick.

CDu
03-16-2017, 02:37 PM
Perrantes back on the floor now. Good sign for UVa.

Doria
03-16-2017, 02:43 PM
I was convinced it was going in.

I was convinced those last two shots were going in for Princeton. Both were relatively open looks (the latter less so, but hardly closely contested).

Hope UVA can be so fortunate.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 02:45 PM
I was convinced those last two shots were going in for Princeton. Both were relatively open looks (the latter less so, but hardly closely contested).

Hope UVA can be so fortunate.

Last year I lost Michigan St. in the first 3 hours as my pick for the final game. This year, I have UVa in the Final Four.

Why do we do this again?

wilson
03-16-2017, 02:45 PM
South Dakota State is right with Gonzaga just a couple of minutes before the half. I for one would love to see the Zags go down, both for the sheer historic nature of such a potential upset, and because it really grinds my gears for them to keep getting favorable seeding based on that joke of a schedule, just because they went on a cute Elite 8 run that one time 18 years ago.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Last year I lost Michigan St. in the first 3 hours as my pick for the final game. This year, I have UVa in the Final Four.

Why do we do this again?

How did I manage to forget how horrendous UVa's offense is?

Billy Dat
03-16-2017, 02:46 PM
Flemings and Perrantes...great back and forth

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 02:47 PM
Perrantes, ONIONS! Nods to Bill.

Doria
How did I manage to forget how horrendous UVa's offense is?

I have no idea. I managed to forget, too. Let me know if you figure it out.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
South Dakota State is right with Gonzaga just a couple of minutes before the half. I for one would love to see the Zags go down, both for the sheer historic nature of such a potential upset, and because it really grinds my gears for them to keep getting favorable seeding based on that joke of a schedule, just because they went on a cute Elite 8 run that one time 18 years ago.

So far, these games have lined up nicely. The opening game was damn close. This UVa game is coming down to the wire. Then, I can watch the second half of the Zags game and hope for the upset.

UNC-W not going away... so tempting to root against the conference and against my bracket to see the upset.

CDu
03-16-2017, 02:49 PM
UVa looks like they'll survive. Hope Wilkins gets healthy quick for Saturday.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 02:50 PM
I have no idea. I managed to forget, too. Let me know if you figure it out.

Scoring when it counts most

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 02:50 PM
Bye bye uncw.

Keep in mind SDS was 18-16 this year, they are terrible. Way to go Zags.

DukieInKansas
03-16-2017, 02:51 PM

This! Plus, a co-worker's son is at the game (tickets were a birthday present) and it would be fun for him to be present at the history making game.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 03:00 PM
UVA is all like survive and advance but the blue print is there and their time in this tourney is limited. FL should be able to finish them in orlando.

Winthrop making a run. Too late?

CDu
03-16-2017, 03:03 PM
UVA is all like survive and advance but the blue print is there and their time in this tourney is limited. FL should be able to finish them in orlando.

It depends. They played this game without their best interior player Wilkins. They can certainly beat UF if Wilkins gets over the illness that kept him out for most of the game today.

English
03-16-2017, 03:06 PM
It depends. They played this game without their best interior player Wilkins. They can certainly beat UF if Wilkins gets over the illness that kept him out for most of the game today.

UF is missing their best interior player, too. They've not exactly been lighting the SEC on fire lately. And don't forget...UF hasn't advanced to Saturday yet.

Indoor66
03-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Bucknell giving Huggy& Company all they want.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 03:10 PM

You are taking some serious liberties here. Let's revisit in two and a half hours. ETSU may have something to say about this.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 03:11 PM
Bucknell giving Huggy& Company all they want.

still waaaay early, but I did take Bucknell +14 and under 148.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2017, 03:15 PM
UVa looks like they'll survive. Hope Wilkins gets healthy quick for Saturday.

He's been dealing with this for a month. Been tested for mono twice, but came up negative both times. Whatever this virus, it's causing VERY mono-like symptoms. Wilkins has played less in every game since he left the starting lineup a few weeks ago. I doubt we'll have him much, if at all.

UNC-W did a fantastic job switching all of the screens we usually use to get open jumpers. They also really pressed up on our guards and dared them to drive. In the 1st half, this was working GREAT, as our guards would beat their man, get into the lane, draw a defender, only for Salt/Diakite to fumble easy passes for turnovers. Without Nichols or Wilkins, we have NO bigs who can catch and finish at the basket.

Given UNC-W's lack of size I really expected Bennett to go to Reuter, who despite being our 10th man, is an excellent back to the basket player when he's not at size disadvantage. Thought him operating inside would have really drawn some attention and opened things up inside-out.

Unsurprisingly though, Bennett was much more worried about our D than offense. The hedge wasn't working at all and Bennett decided to scrap it in favor of putting 5 guards on the floor and switching EVERYTHING. Further, we also went to a 5-out offense and that let our guards get unimpeded all the way to the rim (no big under the basket means no help defender). It was an interesting strategy that worked so well, Bennett did something we've NEVER done before - go to that 5 guard lineup for the majority of the rest of the game. From about the 9 min mark of the 1st half on, we only played Salt about 6-7 more minutes, Wilkins not at all (sick), Diakite not at all (I think).

Really impressed me that Bennett is so willing to improvise like that - using lineups and offensive sets/systems which we rarely/never practice - in such a huge situation.

I think Wilkins is probably pretty much done, and our next game would be AT BEST a coinflip without him. Still proud of the guys for the way they've battled given the short-handed issues. We'll come back strong next year if Guy, Jerome, and the redshirts can add some significant weight/strength. The defense, while "#1" this year, just hasn't been as consistent as what we're used to. I think it'll be much improved in 17-18.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 03:16 PM
You are taking some serious liberties here. Let's revisit in two and a half hours. ETSU may have something to say about this.

True but the game is in Orlando. We'll see how big an advantage that is.

Zags opening it up a bit. But they don't look that good, considering it is SDS.

English
03-16-2017, 03:18 PM
True but the game is in Orlando. We'll see how big an advantage that is.

Zags opening it up a bit. But they don't look that good, considering it is SDS.

The Zags may have woken up to the fact that they're playing the worst team in the field. They've opened a bit of breathing room.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 03:19 PM
Capital One commercial with Barkly.

He has his TV on a clapper and claps in his head during games where it's noisy. LOL

Good commercial.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 03:20 PM
The Zags may have woken up to the fact that they're playing the worst team in the field. They've opened a bit of breathing room.

Still feeling good about my SDST +22.5 and under 156. My Bucknell +14 not looking good.

75Crazie
03-16-2017, 03:26 PM
I really don't get the hatred for the Zags. They're just playing the hand they were dealt. They seem to do their best to schedule tough OOC games to compensate for the weakness of their conference. If you think they're over-ranked, you should save your hatred for those who do the rankings. For myself, I will continue to root for the Zags, if for no other reason than that they are yet another team that seems to inspire irrational hatred.

Mal
03-16-2017, 03:33 PM
I really don't get the hatred for the Zags. They're just playing the hand they were dealt. They seem to do their best to schedule tough OOC games to compensate for the weakness of their conference. If you think they're over-ranked, you should save your hatred for those who do the rankings. For myself, I will continue to root for the Zags, if for no other reason than that they are yet another team that seems to inspire irrational hatred.

I'm not sure it's so much hating on Gonzaga itself, but rather annoyance that the Committee continues to overseed them so long after they've stopped justifying it. They've made the last 13 tournaments and been given seeds of 4 or better 6 times, and won 1 single second week game over that entire timeframe.

wilson
03-16-2017, 03:34 PM

I'm not sure it's so much hating on Gonzaga itself, but rather annoyance that the Committee continues to overseed them so long after they've stopped justifying it. They've made the last 13 tournaments and been given seeds of 4 or better 6 times, and won 1 single second week game over that entire timeframe.Mal said it perfectly. I don't hate the Zags; I just resent the ongoing cachet they seem to have, despite the fact that they're nothing more than a pretty run of the mill top 25-ish program.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Go Power 5!

rsvman
03-16-2017, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure it's so much hating on Gonzaga itself, but rather annoyance that the Committee continues to overseed them so long after they've stopped justifying it. They've made the last 13 tournaments and been given seeds of 4 or better 6 times, and won 1 single second week game over that entire timeframe.

Yep. Still the committee's fault, not Gonzaga's.

English
03-16-2017, 03:41 PM
He's been dealing with this for a month. Been tested for mono twice, but came up negative both times. Whatever this virus, it's causing VERY mono-like symptoms. Wilkins has played less in every game since he left the starting lineup a few weeks ago. I doubt we'll have him much, if at all.

Snip

You couldn't have mentioned this before we collectively filled out and submitted our brackets?! I don't recall this information when I was thinking about a UVa-UF matchup without Florida's top big, since ya know, they're both completely reliant on their respective defenses. Would've been nice to know UVa's top defender was out with a spleen.

Sorry, misplaced rant. Congrats on the dub...especially since the Wahoos were such a fashionable pick for the upset, what with the Seahawks playing well and the 5-12 matchup and all.

Mal
03-16-2017, 03:45 PM

Did I imply otherwise?

Edouble
03-16-2017, 03:46 PM
I'm 3 for 3 thus far in my bracket. This is so epic.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Semantics. I want to like Zaga but because they are constatly over-seeded and fail to live up to expectations, it is near impossible to pick them and therefore root for them.

A possible match up with ND is intriguing. COlson loves to play guys bigger than him. Parns is a solid big guy, it would be a fun matchup.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm 3 for 3 thus far in my bracket. This is so epic.

Chalk! What is your first upset pick?

I always pick with my head. My office pool has lame scoring rules. I think if I went chalk, I would probably win.

monkey
03-16-2017, 03:58 PM
I like the Zags but always like a good upset when it's not Duke being upset...especially if it could be the first 1-16 upset in history...but it isn't going to happen..

English
03-16-2017, 04:01 PM
Semantics. I want to like Zaga but because they are constatly over-seeded and fail to live up to expectations, it is near impossible to pick them and therefore root for them.

A possible match up with ND is intriguing. COlson loves to play guys bigger than him. Parns is a solid big guy, it would be a fun matchup.

There's also the little nugget of Karnowski trying to surpass Shane Battier's wins record. I believe somewhere toward the end of the WCCT, Karnowski was three wins shy.*

*This according to a network graphic shown during the WCCT, which I cannot locate right now

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 04:01 PM

I always pick with my head. My office pool has lame scoring rules. I think if I went chalk, I would probably win.

First round, I have:

Vermont over Purdue (13v4)
Middle Ten St over Minn (12v5)
Rhode Island over Creighton (11v6)
Kansas St over Cincy (11v6)
Marquette & VCU as 10s over 7s ((S Carolina, St. Mary's)
Wichita St over Dayton (10v7) (But that isn't really an upset)

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Ugh...Gonzaga up 22

1 minute to go. SD has emptied the bench.

I have SDST +22.5

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Field trip to a bar for New Belgium Citradelic IPA and some friends. Perfect bracket so far - much better than last year's MSU debacle for my poor picks.

75Crazie
03-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Mal said it perfectly. I don't hate the Zags; I just resent the ongoing cachet they seem to have, despite the fact that they're nothing more than a pretty run of the mill top 25-ish program.
That's fine, but it does not justify hating the team itself (which I seem to see evidence of in this forum). That's about as logical as hating Duke because the Duke fans appreciate that Duke recruits players that can talk and attend class.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Ugh...Gonzaga up 22

1 minute to go. SD has emptied the bench.

I have SDST +22.5

Close call.

wilson
03-16-2017, 04:11 PM
Mal said it perfectly. I don't hate the Zags; I just resent the ongoing cachet they seem to have, despite the fact that they're nothing more than a pretty run of the mill top 25-ish program.

That's fine, but it does not justify hating the team itself (which I seem to see evidence of in this forum). That's about as logical as hating Duke because the Duke fans appreciate that Duke recruits players that can talk and attend class.Did you read my post? I specifically said I don't hate them. So did Mal. Nobody in this thread has said they hate Gonzaga.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 04:14 PM
There's also the little nugget of Karnowski trying to surpass Shane Battier's wins record. I believe somewhere toward the end of the WCCT, Karnowski was three wins shy.*

*This according to a network graphic shown during the WCCT, which I cannot locate right now

That is pretty cool, didn't know that. I definately suffer from east coast bias to some extent.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 04:17 PM
First round, I have:

Vermont over Purdue (13v4)
Middle Ten St over Minn (12v5)
Rhode Island over Creighton (11v6)
Kansas St over Cincy (11v6)
Marquette & VCU as 10s over 7s ((S Carolina, St. Mary's)
Wichita St over Dayton (10v7) (But that isn't really an upset)

I like your VT, RI, MTS, and WS picks.

eddiehaskell
03-16-2017, 04:18 PM
The Zags haven't had much success in the tourney but they haven't been totally horrible.

'05 - 3 seed lost to 6 seed Texas Tech by 2 points
'06 - 3 seed lost to 2 seed UCLA (NCAA runner up) by 2
'07 - 10 seed lost to 7 seed Indiana
'08 - 7 seed lost to 10 seed Davidson (with Steph)
'09 - 4 seed lost to 1 seed UNC (national champions)
'10 - 8 seed lost to 4 seed Syracuse
'11 - 11 seed lost to 10 seed BYU
'12 - 7 seed lost to 2 seed OSU
'13 - 1 seed lost to 9 seed Wichita St (who went on to the Final Four)
'14 - 8 seed lost to 4 seed Arizona
'15 - 2 seed lost to 4 seed Duke in elite 8
'16 - 11 seed lost to 10 seed Syracuse (who went on to final 4)

The Zags have been on the short end of some very impressive tourney runs by Syracuse, Wichita St and Davidson. All other losses were not really shocking as they typically lost to higher seeded teams or basketball royalty in Duke/Arizona. I don't see any terrible flops there unless you believe a better #1 seed could've taken out Wichita St in 2013.

75Crazie
03-16-2017, 04:19 PM
I for one would love to see the Zags go down, both for the sheer historic nature of such a potential upset, and because it really grinds my gears for them to keep getting favorable seeding based on that joke of a schedule, just because they went on a cute Elite 8 run that one time 18 years ago.
I read this as a statement of hating the Zags ... otherwise, why should your gears get grinded? Maybe it's just a matter of semantics on both sides, and is definitely not worth further discussion, so I withdraw my observations.

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2017, 04:19 PM
hard for anyone to get off to a worse start than MTSU's JaCorey Williams, 0-5 after a missed dunk. He's taken all of MTSU's shots so far. I'm gonna guess they need someone else to shoot the ball for a bit.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 04:28 PM
Bit of a lull here from excitement... quick poll - favorite non-Duke moment in tournament time?

Troublemaker
03-16-2017, 04:29 PM
Duke finished up their day-before press conference. You can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Yj5w_Z_sI

It's a link to a live stream with some other team up on the podium, but just click to the beginning and you'll find Duke.

cato
03-16-2017, 04:31 PM
Last year: Michigan State in the Final Four.

This year: Huggy Bear.

Folks, this is why I don't gamble.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 04:32 PM
Bucknell with a nice run. TO WVU! Not sure what to make of this game, other than I like ND over whoever wins this one.

grad_devil
03-16-2017, 04:35 PM
Duke finished up their day-before press conference. You can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8Yj5w_Z_sI

It's a link to a live stream with some other team up on the podium, but just click to the beginning and you'll find Duke.

I don't like that Amile sounds like he has a cold in this presser.

If it leads to Jordan flu-game, I guess I'm ok with it.

wilson
03-16-2017, 04:36 PM
Bit of a lull here from excitement... quick poll - favorite non-Duke moment in tournament time?Ali Farokhmanesh.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2017, 04:38 PM
The Zags haven't had much success in the tourney but they haven't been totally horrible.

The Zags have been on the short end of some very impressive tourney runs by Syracuse, Wichita St and Davidson. All other losses were not really shocking as they typically lost to higher seeded teams or basketball royalty in Duke/Arizona. I don't see any terrible flops there unless you believe a better #1 seed could've taken out Wichita St in 2013.

This is a GREAT post - I really don't understand where people get this notion that Gonzaga always chokes or way underperforms their seed. I think I saw somewhere that they've won almost the EXACT number of games overall as would have been expected by seed (equal number of upset wins and losses).

I think their conference actually hurts them in that they don't get to play a high level opponent between December and March. I absolutely believe they're talented/complete enough most seasons they're a 1/2 seed to get to a final four, but suddenly playing a team that's close/equal to their level after beating up on creampuffs for so long tends to "get em". If they keep throwing out teams that the advanced metrics say make them a top team, they'll get there eventually. Maybe even this year!

(For the record, I'm no Zags fan, still miffed from when they beat us in a 5-12 game in 2001).

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Bucknell with a nice run. TO WVU! Not sure what to make of this game, other than I like ND over whoever wins this one.

I'm hoping for a scoring drought for both teams. Otherwise the o/u (148) is toast.

eddiehaskell
03-16-2017, 04:40 PM
Btw...I picked Bucknell to beat WV in my bracket...let's go Bucknell.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 04:41 PM
I don't like that Amile sounds like he has a cold in this presser.

If it leads to Jordan flu-game, I guess I'm ok with it.

I was just about to post the same. He sounds pretty congested. It is allergy season in the southeast.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 04:44 PM
Matt Jones:

"Pain makes you grow."

Dukelogger
03-16-2017, 04:56 PM

Great work - not to be that guy but we were a 1 seed...

Channing
03-16-2017, 05:02 PM
Ali Farokhmanesh.

Kris Jenkins

mattman91
03-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Anyone else watching Northwestern?

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Last year: Michigan State in the Final Four.

This year: Huggy Bear.

Folks, this is why I don't gamble.

WVU is winning, though. I've got WVU losing to Notre Dame.

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2017, 05:07 PM
my upset favorite MTSU is up 6 at the half. hope they can hold on!

mr. synellinden
03-16-2017, 05:12 PM

One point of clarification - Duke was a 1 seed in 2015. Further supports your point though.

wilson
03-16-2017, 05:21 PM

The Zags have been on the short end of some very impressive tourney runs by Syracuse, Wichita St and Davidson. All other losses were not really shocking as they typically lost to higher seeded teams or basketball royalty in Duke/Arizona. I don't see any terrible flops there unless you believe a better #1 seed could've taken out Wichita St in 2013.Good post, Eddie.
As I said, I don't hate Gonzaga; I just think they benefit at times from a perception of eliteness, despite often flimsy on-court credentials and a generally underwhelming history. They've never been to he Final Four, and made the Elite Eight only twice. That's a good but not great program. And this year especially, I don't believe their resume warrants a #1 seed.

wilson
03-16-2017, 05:24 PM
Anyone else watching Northwestern?Great finish to the first half for them. They look pretty good.

MChambers
03-16-2017, 05:47 PM
Anyone else watching Northwestern?

8 point lead early in the second half.

rsvman
03-16-2017, 05:56 PM
Bit of a lull here from excitement... quick poll - favorite non-Duke moment in tournament time?

Harold "The Show" Arceneaux, of course. ;)

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2017, 05:59 PM
MTSU built up a nice lead, but now they are choking it away. Hope they can hold on!!!

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 06:08 PM
MTSU built up a nice lead, but now they are choking it away. Hope they can hold on!!!

Upshaw is putting them on his back. They are a gritty, tough team. I'm very impressed with them.

They said Upshaw rattled off nine straight points in response to Minny's run.

kmspeaks
03-16-2017, 06:08 PM
They've cracked down on internet usage at work (I'm a high school teacher) so I was unable to watch the early games on the board in my classroom like I've done in years past. :mad: Finished softball practice and parked myself in the recliner around 5:30. The ymm beer'ers may not approve but I've got a variety pack of Bold Rock cider chilled and ready to go. I love these 2 days so much.

Just got the text that tomorrow's softball game is cancelled. May have to cancel practice and hit up the local wing joint with the rest of the coaches after school.

CDu
03-16-2017, 06:17 PM
On my way to an 8-0 first session if Northwestern can hold on. Not crazy impressive since 6 were clear favorites. But pleased nonetheless.

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 06:17 PM
Pitino just got rung up, bad coaching there. Good response by MTS after the Minnie run.

Mal
03-16-2017, 06:23 PM
With all the bulletin board material they had, being the one 5 seed literally every pundit mindlessly picked because they were overseeded and MTSU underseeded, they went and laid an egg. Worst game they played all season, despite having a lot of matchups that should have worked well for them against this particular opponent. They looked overwhelmed by the moment, shot like garbage, and got dominated on the boards by a much smaller team despite being one of the better rebounding teams in a rugged Big Ten. :(

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2017, 06:26 PM
My first upset comes true !!! MTSU over Minny.
Now, Northwestern is up on Vandy, let's go Chris!

Edouble
03-16-2017, 06:26 PM

I'm 7 for 7 and 8 for 8 if Northwestern holds on!!!

Ran out for an hour to get cheese, beer, sausage and sundries.

Just got back. Let's go Chris!!!

MChambers
03-16-2017, 06:27 PM
Wildcats are struggling to hang on to the lead, under 3 to go.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 06:27 PM
On my way to an 8-0 first session if Northwestern can hold on. Not crazy impressive since 6 were clear favorites. But pleased nonetheless.

Congrats! I had my first perfect morning ever last year. I am looking to go two years in a row w/perfect Thursday mornings, which is amazing for me, because I always flame out.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 06:34 PM
Sheeeeez... terrible rotations under the basket there by Northwestern. Ugh!

DukieInBrasil
03-16-2017, 06:37 PM
YAYAYAYAYAYAY!!!! NW wins their 1st ever NCAA tournament game!!!!
Way to go Wildcats!!!
ed.- nice to see Daddy Dougie C. have tears of joy for his son's win!
ed. ed.- NW now owns the all-time best winning % in NCAA history, 100%. Here's hoping the stay at 100% after their game withe Zags...

wilson
03-16-2017, 06:37 PM
Way to go Wildcats!!!What a finish.

CDu
03-16-2017, 06:38 PM
Wow. Horrid mistake by Fisher-Davis. Fouling intentionally with his team up 1 with 15 seconds left. Yikes. Feel bad for the kid.

Bluedog
03-16-2017, 06:39 PM
What a bizarre end by Vandy. They were up 1 and needed to play good defense with 15 seconds to go, and a player intentionally fouls Northwestern's best FT shooter thinking they're down. Sinks both to put NU up 1. Then Vandy has a good 15 seconds to set up a play and a guy launches a 30-foot three-pointer with like 4 seconds left. What?! They had success going to the basket on like 3 straight possessions. Same comment on Princeton who launched a 3 (albeit that one was an open look at the line) when they only needed a 2 to beat ND. I feel like a Duke-coach team doesn't make boneheaded mistakes like that.

Go NORTHWESTERN!! Yay!

Edouble
03-16-2017, 06:40 PM
Way to go Wildcats!!!

Seriously? I must be on a serious lag, b/c the game is still on. I mean it is essentially over, but there are 1.4 seconds left. Lumpkin shooting FTs.

MChambers
03-16-2017, 06:41 PM
Doug Collins has again turned purple!

Doria
03-16-2017, 06:42 PM
Wow, that was a crazy end to the game! I thought they'd choked it away! Good job, Chris!

Native
03-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Congrats Coach Collins! Go Wildcats! What a crazy ending.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 06:43 PM
Doug Collins crying in the stands. Why I love March Madness.

8 for 8 thanks to 8 seed Northwestern!

Doria
03-16-2017, 06:51 PM
Haha, and Chris getting soaked in the locker room and dancing with his team!

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 06:55 PM
And Julia Louis-Dreyfus lives to cheer another day!

davekay1971
03-16-2017, 06:58 PM
Congrats to Chris. Love it. And now I become a Xavier fan.

BobBender
03-16-2017, 07:02 PM

He has been an analyst for NJ/ Brooklyn Nets telecasts for probably 2 decades. He used to do every game, but a bit less now

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 07:07 PM
And Julia Louis-Dreyfus lives to cheer another day!

I can root for that.

Let's go Xavier!

Saratoga2
03-16-2017, 07:12 PM
So far, most games have been very competitive with the lower seeds giving a really tough time to the higher. MTSU is the one exception as they played like the better team throughout.

Look at Notre Dame and Virginia just squeaking out wins. Gonzaga struggled for a half. Northwestern met a team that on paper that was their equal and the game played that way. Vanderbuilt made several stupid mistakes at the end and gave up their chance of winning. On the other hand, Nothwestern didn't make those mistakes which is a credit to their coach.

The takeaway for me and from memories of previous tournaments as well, you can expect your opponent to play hard and to give a competitive effort regardless of their seed. We need to play our best and take nothing for granted.

DU82
03-16-2017, 07:20 PM
The Mount shutting out 'Nova at the first TO, 5-0.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 07:21 PM
The Mount shutting out 'Nova at the first TO, 5-0.

On pace to win 40-0! Let's go Mount!

MChambers
03-16-2017, 07:25 PM
NU now is the only school to have a perfect record in the tourney. Collins now has a better percentage in the tourney than K.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 07:30 PM
NU now is the only school to have a perfect record in the tourney. Collins now has a better percentage in the tourney than K.

Brey says Collins is the better coach.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 07:33 PM
Doing my obligatory "Watch the 1/16 game while the 16 is ahead, until they eventually get behind by 10+ and I switch games" with the 'Nova/MSMary's game.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 07:36 PM
Is this the first NCAA Tournament where St. Mary's and Mount St. Mary's are playing at the same time?

Madness.

duke79
03-16-2017, 07:37 PM
Doing my obligatory "Watch the 1/16 game while the 16 is ahead, until they eventually get behind by 10+ and I switch games" with the 'Nova/MSMary's game.

LOL, Mt. Saint Mary's STILL in the lead.....with about 7 minutes to play in the first half. Very sloppy game so far.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 07:38 PM
LOL, Mt. Saint Mary's STILL in the lead....with about 7 minutes to play in the first half. Very sloppy game so far.

The Mount is content to whittle away the clock while they still have the lead. Shorten the game and who knows what can happen?

uh_no
03-16-2017, 07:46 PM
What a bizarre end by Vandy. They were up 1 and needed to play good defense with 15 seconds to go, and a player intentionally fouls Northwestern's best FT shooter thinking they're down. Sinks both to put NU up 1. Then Vandy has a good 15 seconds to set up a play and a guy launches a 30-foot three-pointer with like 4 seconds left. What?! They had success going to the basket on like 3 straight possessions. Same comment on Princeton who launched a 3 (albeit that one was an open look at the line) when they only needed a 2 to beat ND. I feel like a Duke-coach team doesn't make boneheaded mistakes like that.

Go NORTHWESTERN!! Yay!

We've had our share of hero ball in a couple of losses this year.

Also: austin rivers. It worked out that time, but the same play of not actually running any offense.

Dribble-dribble-dribble jack a three is probably one of the least efficient plays in that situation. do SOMETHING...even if the same guy passes the ball and ends up taking the shot....but to do absolutely nothing for 10 seconds? I'll never understand.

Tripping William
03-16-2017, 07:50 PM
The Mount is content to whittle away the clock while they still have the lead. Shorten the game and who knows what can happen?

Mount St. Mary's is definitely in Mississippi Valley St. territory at the moment.

Bluedog
03-16-2017, 07:56 PM

Also: austin rivers. It worked out that time, but the same play of not actually running any offense.

Dribble-dribble-dribble jack a three is probably one of the least efficient plays in that situation. do SOMETHING...even if the same guy passes the ball and ends up taking the shot...but to do absolutely nothing for 10 seconds? I'll never understand.

Rivers game was different in that we were down 2 and did not want to go to OT. Plus, we were nailing 3s all game. So, went for the win. In this case, Vandy was down 1 and went for a 30 footer with several seconds left. I agree that we've had some hero ball end of games moment, though, but don't recall us ever fouling intentionally when in the lead because we are unaware of the score.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 08:00 PM
Villanova has got to be the weakest overall #1 seed I can remember. They've had the lead in the first half for about 12 seconds. That has to be a record for an opening half for an overall #1 seed.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2017, 08:03 PM
Villanova has got to be the weakest overall #1 seed I can remember. They've had the lead in the first half for about 12 seconds. That has to be a record for an opening half for an overall #1 seed.

I don't think ANYBODY is that great this year. I haven't watched a single team all year thinking, "they're clearly better than all but maybe 3-4 teams". There just isn't that top, TOP elite tier this season.

Should make the tourney a lot of fun though.

Edouble
03-16-2017, 08:05 PM
I don't think ANYBODY is that great this year. I haven't watched a single team all year thinking, "they're clearly better than all but maybe 3-4 teams". There just isn't that top, TOP elite tier this season.

Should make the tourney a lot of fun though.

Agree.

I just think that this first half must be unprecedented as far as performance from a defending national champion who is the overall #1 seed for the entire tournament.

dukelifer
03-16-2017, 08:10 PM

This team matches up with them pretty well. It is all about who you play.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Agree.

I just think that this first half must be unprecedented as far as performance from a defending national champion who is the overall #1 seed for the entire tournament.

Yeah - big part is probably that Villanova is probably weak for a top overall seed, Hart was in foul trouble, and the opponent is "in rhythm" from their game on Tuesday while 'Nova hasn't played since Saturday.

Could be wrong, but I expect 'Nova to come out in the 2nd half and rout them. A 15+ point wouldn't surprise me. I almost expect it.

wsb3
03-16-2017, 08:13 PM
Today & tomorrow my 2 favorite sporting days of the year.

Northwestern Vanderbilt last few minutes was incredible.Glad Northwestern won. Feel bad for the Vanderbilt kid.

MChambers
03-16-2017, 08:22 PM

Dribble-dribble-dribble jack a three is probably one of the least efficient plays in that situation. do SOMETHING...even if the same guy passes the ball and ends up taking the shot...but to do absolutely nothing for 10 seconds? I'll never understand.
It was a dumb possession, unless your point guard is named Kyrie.

gocanes0506
03-16-2017, 08:27 PM
Today & tomorrow my 2 favorite sporting days of the year.

Northwestern Vanderbilt last few minutes was incredible.Glad Northwestern won. Feel bad for the Vanderbilt kid.

You have to know what's happening in the game. He just wasn't paying attention.

brevity
03-16-2017, 08:36 PM
Feel bad for the Vanderbilt kid.

You have to know what's happening in the game. He just wasn't paying attention.

Too bad Chris Webber wasn't announcing that game.

DU82
03-16-2017, 08:41 PM

Duke vs. Mississippi Valley State in 1986. I don't think we had the lead in the first half, and ultimately won by only 7.

-jk
03-16-2017, 08:44 PM
Duke vs. Mississippi Valley State in 1986. I don't think we had the lead in the first half, and ultimately won by only 7.

Shudder...

-jk

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Really wishing, I didn't pick MD. What was I thinking? They don't play very smart.

dukie’s_daughter
03-16-2017, 08:54 PM
Anybody else enjoying the feeling of rooting for Xavier, without even a smidgeon of guilt about rooting against the conference?...

Of course, there's never any guilt when rooting against the heels...

Btw, my 5 yr. old granddaughter picked "the stinky sheep" to lose their first game!! ❤

MCFinARL
03-16-2017, 08:57 PM
Yeah - big part is probably that Villanova is probably weak for a top overall seed, Hart was in foul trouble, and the opponent is "in rhythm" from their game on Tuesday while 'Nova hasn't played since Saturday.

Could be wrong, but I expect 'Nova to come out in the 2nd half and rout them. A 15+ point wouldn't surprise me. I almost expect it.

This prediction looking pretty good right about now.

cato
03-16-2017, 08:58 PM

So . . . you don't think that Austin should have cut open the collective chest cavity of the Dean Dome crowd and eaten their still-beating hearts before their dying eyes?

Agree to disagree, I guess.

neuro
03-16-2017, 08:58 PM
Anybody else enjoying the feeling of rooting for Xavier, without even a smidgeon of guilt about rooting against the conference?...

Wait, which conference is it that you feel guilty to root against?

MCFinARL
03-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Too bad Chris Webber wasn't announcing that game.

Never allowed to spork you, it seems, but this was hilarious and accurate.

MChambers
03-16-2017, 09:01 PM
Wait, which conference is it that you feel guilty to root against?

Think the OP was saying it's completely okay to root against UMd since they're not in the ACC.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 09:01 PM
This prediction looking pretty good right about now.

A real Nostradamus prediction right there.

dukelifer
03-16-2017, 09:04 PM
Agree.

Second half looked pretty decent. They are really good

DU82
Good day for children of Saturday Night Live performers.

First, Northwestern wins, with walk-on Charlie Hall, whose dad Brad was on the show in the '80s, on the bench.

And now Xavier, with Bill Murray's son Luke as an assistant, knocks off the Terps.

(I believe Charlie's mom is on TV occasionally, as well.)

howardlander
Think the OP was saying it's completely okay to root against UMd since they're not in the ACC.

Ah, the sweet smell of roasted terrapin. It was ALWAYS ok to root against Maryland.

Howard

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 09:13 PM

Of course, there's never any guilt when rooting against the heels...

Btw, my 5 yr. old granddaughter picked "the stinky sheep" to lose their first game!! ❤

Picked 'em. Eff the Terps, for so many reasons.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 09:16 PM

I have Nova losing in the next round to Wisconsin. We'll see if Va Tech throws a wrench in that prediction.

Wahoo2000
03-16-2017, 09:37 PM
I have Nova losing in the next round to Wisconsin. We'll see if Va Tech throws a wrench in that prediction.

A team with championship experience losing to a vastly inferior opponent with ZERO tournament experience? Maybe my hatred of the Hokies is clouding my judgement, but this seems like a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooong shot. I have a sneaking suspicion that today's Nova game will end up being the more competitive of the 2 games..... at least through 20 minutes. ;-)

Edouble
03-16-2017, 09:39 PM
Wow, first minute of the FSU FGCU game offered up the two most monstrous dunks of the day. Dunk from Ojo, then Ojo getting dunked on, at the other end.

neuro
03-16-2017, 09:42 PM

Yes of course, got it. As in it's even nicer to be able to enjoy rooting against MD, now that they are not in the ACC. Reading, it's fundamental.

Tripping William
03-16-2017, 09:48 PM
A little late with this, but I'm wondering which lasted longer: Richard Pitino's trip to the Big Dance or his dad's encounter with Karen Sypher?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 09:51 PM
A little late with this, but I'm wondering which lasted longer: Richard Pitino's trip to the Big Dance or his dad's encounter with Karen Sypher?

Check the football recruiting video thread

aseb1986
03-16-2017, 09:51 PM

Ouch!!

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 09:56 PM
A team with championship experience losing to a vastly inferior opponent with ZERO tournament experience? Maybe my hatred of the Hokies is clouding my judgement, but this seems like a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooong shot. I have a sneaking suspicion that today's Nova game will end up being the more competitive of the 2 games... at least through 20 minutes. ;-)

Wisconsin doesn't have tournament experience? Didn't they make the Sweet 16 last year?
Heck, there are probably players on that team from the Natty game.

Are you saying Wisconsin doesn't have a shot to beat Nova, or something about Va Tech?

CDu
03-16-2017, 09:58 PM
Wisconsin doesn't have tournament experience? Didn't they make the Sweet 16 last year? Heck, there are probably players on that team from the Natty game.

He or she was saying Va Tech has zero experience and Wisconsin has championship experience.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 10:12 PM
He or she was saying Va Tech has zero experience and Wisconsin has championship experience.

Thanks, CDu.

I wasn't sure if they were talking Wiscy vs Va Tech, or a potential matchup with Nova.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-16-2017, 10:30 PM
Observation:

Arizona unis are tough on the eyes.

Sideline reporter Jamie Erdahl is not.

duketaylor
03-16-2017, 10:34 PM
Sorry to make this a different thread, but.......

This game is incredible...up and down..non-stop action. Must see!!!

Very high energy!!

Wahoo2000
03-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Wisconsin doesn't have tournament experience? Didn't they make the Sweet 16 last year?
Heck, there are probably players on that team from the Natty game.

Are you saying Wisconsin doesn't have a shot to beat Nova, or something about Va Tech?

Bah! Somehow I read it as you picking VT over Nova.

HOW I got that from reading your post, I have NO idea. Lol, taking a long weekend from work starting tomorrow, but I think my brain left town a day early! :-)

CoachJ10
03-16-2017, 10:35 PM
Lovie Smith is known for having zero emotion on his face during a game...you wouldnt know if his team was up by 21 pr down by 21. Leonard Hamilton is very similiar...is he even alive on the sidelines during fsu games?

CoachJ10
03-16-2017, 10:38 PM
Nevada is shooting 29.6% from the floor. And it is not due to great defense by Iowa State.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 10:40 PM
Bah! Somehow I read it as you picking VT over Nova.

HOW I got that from reading your post, I have NO idea. Lol, taking a long weekend from work starting tomorrow, but I think my brain left town a day early! :-)

Haha no problem. I kept reading my post and then your response to my post and wondering what happened. No, I'm riding the Wisconsin train to at least the Sweet Sixteen.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 10:50 PM
Starting to run out of gas. 11 hours of games and beer...

brevity
03-16-2017, 11:00 PM
Starting to run out of gas. 11 hours of games and beer...

Well, if any team can energize the late night viewers, it's Wisconsin.

duke4ever19
03-16-2017, 11:01 PM
Lauri Markkanen is a problem.

Neals384
03-16-2017, 11:54 PM
OK, so I have a question about a substitution that happened in the UVA game. With 1:13 left, Flemings hit a 3-pointer to bring UNC-W within 2. No time out, but the refs stopped the clock at 1:10 (this was off camera, but I guess UVA was slow picking up the ball to in-bounds). At that point, UNC-W made a substitution (Talley for Cacok).

I didn't think you could do that. No subs allowed after a made field goal, right? Did Karl Hess just blow this one? Or do I just need to go back to Rules 101?

Bluedog
03-16-2017, 11:56 PM
Anybody think Wisconsin might beat Nova? If they shoot 3s like they just did, they might do it. Nova is also pretty reliant on the 3-ball. Not out if the realm of possibility at least. I'll cheer for the Badgers.

Duke79UNLV77
03-17-2017, 12:01 AM
Anybody think Wisconsin might beat Nova? If they shoot 3s like they just did, they might do it. Nova is also pretty reliant on the 3-ball. Not out if the realm of possibility at least. I'll cheer for the Badgers.

I wouldn't predict it, but not out of the realm. Va Tech looked to be on the verge of taking the lead most of the second half, but Hayes hit well over his normal FT percentage and Koenig hit well over his 3-point percentage, including some well-challenged shots. I guess that's called experience.

BandAlum83
03-17-2017, 12:10 AM
OK, so I have a question about a substitution that happened in the UVA game. With 1:13 left, Flemings hit a 3-pointer to bring UNC-W within 2. No time out, but the refs stopped the clock at 1:10 (this was off camera, but I guess UVA was slow picking up the ball to in-bounds). At that point, UNC-W made a substitution (Talley for Cacok).

I didn't think you could do that. No subs allowed after a made field goal, right? Did Karl Hess just blow this one? Or do I just need to go back to Rules 101?

I noticed that also. I'd love an answer to that.

CoachJ10
03-17-2017, 12:11 AM
Wisconsin got some very favorable calls down the stretch. Nigel Hayes could have been called for about 5 offensive fouls but instead got some and ones.

Would have been a different game with a healthy Seth Allen. The foot injury he sustained was hard to overcome.

Olympic Fan
03-17-2017, 12:20 AM
The conference rank after the first day:

Big 12 3-0 (K-State in play-in game; West Va.; Iowa State all won)

Pac 12 2-0 (USC in play-in game; Arizona both won)

Big East 3-1 (Villanova, Butler and Xavier won; Providence lost a play-in game)

ACC 3-2 (Virginia, Notre Dame, FSU won; Wake lost in play-in game; VPI lost)

Big Ten 3-2 (Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin won; Minnesota, Maryland lost)

SEC 1-1 (Florida won; Vandy lost)

That's 13 of 16 teams in the second round from the power six conferences ... plus two teams from the West Coast Conference (Gonzaga and St. Mary's). The only other winner was Middle Tennessee.

We'll see how they stand after tomorrow. I like the ACC's chances with Duke, UNC, Louisville ... only Miami's game with Michigan State scares me.

BandAlum83
03-17-2017, 12:25 AM
Observation:

Arizona unis are tough on the eyes.

Sideline reporter Jamie Erdahl is not.

Well now you've given me a second reason to watch this game to the end.

1. See if AZ calls off the dogs and gives me a shot at ND +17. It's been teetering around the 17pt margin for a while.

2. See Jamie in a post game interview.

chriso
03-17-2017, 08:24 AM
The conference rank after the first day:

Big 12 3-0 (K-State in play-in game; West Va.; Iowa State all won)

Pac 12 2-0 (USC in play-in game; Arizona both won)

Big East 3-1 (Villanova, Butler and Xavier won; Providence lost a play-in game)

ACC 3-2 (Virginia, Notre Dame, FSU won; Wake lost in play-in game; VPI lost)

Big Ten 3-2 (Purdue, Northwestern, Wisconsin won; Minnesota, Maryland lost)

SEC 1-1 (Florida won; Vandy lost)

That's 13 of 16 teams in the second round from the power six conferences ... plus two teams from the West Coast Conference (Gonzaga and St. Mary's). The only other winner was Middle Tennessee.

We'll see how they stand after tomorrow. I like the ACC's chances with Duke, UNC, Louisville ... only Miami's game with Michigan State scares me.
Michigan State as a favorite...bad. Michigan State as an underdog...good. Fire bad. Why am I talking like Frankenstein? :)

whereinthehellami
03-17-2017, 08:37 AM
Wisconsin got some very favorable calls down the stretch. Nigel Hayes could have been called for about 5 offensive fouls but instead got some and ones.

Would have been a different game with a healthy Seth Allen. The foot injury he sustained was hard to overcome.

VT lost Clarke, their best player, earlier in the year. Too much to overcome for VT but Buzz has them pointed in the right direction. They got Alexander-Walk, RSCI #38 (6-5 SG), coming in next year, which is their highest rated recruit since Dorian Finney-Smith (ended up transferring to Florida).

My midwest bracket is a mess, thanks Nevada and Vermont. I got Kansas winning out in the midwest and you got to wonder where their collective heads are at and how long they will stay focused and alive.

Ballboy1998
03-17-2017, 08:58 AM
That was about the most chalk first day in recent memory, with the two upsets being ones that really surprised no one. From a totally irrational and superstitious place, that makes me nervous for Duke as one of the top seeds playing today, as it always seems like one placid day leads to the other day being total chaos. Hopefully the Duke game is the calm in the storm today. Let's go Duke and bring on the madness!

duketaylor
03-17-2017, 09:21 AM
Anyone else think he lands in Wolfville?

Olympic Fan
03-17-2017, 09:53 AM
Anyone else think he lands in Wolfville?

Guarantee that doesn't happen.

Early buzz has our ol' pal Joe Alleva hiring him at LSU ....

Philadukie
03-17-2017, 10:23 AM
That was about the most chalk first day in recent memory, with the two upsets being ones that really surprised no one. From a totally irrational and superstitious place, that makes me nervous for Duke as one of the top seeds playing today, as it always seems like one placid day leads to the other day being total chaos. Hopefully the Duke game is the calm in the storm today. Let's go Duke and bring on the madness!

Not sure if anyone else saw this, but every top 25 KenPom team won yesterday - 12 teams. ND is #26, so 13 of top 26. Pretty remarkable.

Steven43
03-17-2017, 10:24 AM
Whoa ... ND barely escapes - but happy for Brey and them...
Speaking of Brey, does anyone have inside info on how things went for him while at Duke and if the parting was on good terms? I don't recall him saying positive things about Duke, Coach K or Duke's players, but I have noticed several digs and general negativity What's up with that?

OldPhiKap
03-17-2017, 10:27 AM
Speaking of Brey, does anyone have inside info on how things went for him while at Duke and if the parting was on good terms? I don't recall him saying positive things about Duke, Coach K or Duke's players, but I have noticed several digs and general negativity What's up with that?

IIRC, he left in 1995 to take a head coaching job at Delaware. So I imagine he left on good terms, and got a shot at a head coach position.

No inside info, but have never heard any rumblings or rumors of anything but good relationships.

Having been gone for over 20 years though, I don't think he is out of line to argue that his kids and his programs should get more respect in relation to Duke and UNC.

tbyers11
03-17-2017, 10:29 AM
VT lost Clarke, their best player, earlier in the year. Too much to overcome for VT but Buzz has them pointed in the right direction. They got Alexander-Walk, RSCI #38 (6-5 SG), coming in next year, which is their highest rated recruit since Dorian Finney-Smith (ended up transferring to Florida).

My midwest bracket is a mess, thanks Nevada and Vermont. I got Kansas winning out in the midwest and you got to wonder where their collective heads are at and how long they will stay focused and alive.

Clarke was a big loss to the season. Losing 6-10 PF/C Kerry Blackshear for the entire season before it began made VT's season look even better as well. While not a superstar, I think he would have been a key player and their only "true" big. If Blackshear and Clarke get healthy, I think Buzz will have VT looking to improve on their 7th place ACC finish next year.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 10:30 AM
Not sure if anyone else saw this, but every top 25 KenPom team won yesterday - 12 teams. ND is #26, so 13 of top 26. Pretty remarkable.

Nice catch. Will be interesting to watch #22 Cincinnati vs #28 KState this evening. I believe that is the closest margin of KenPom rankings in an opening round game.

Steven43
03-17-2017, 10:30 AM
So far, these games have lined up nicely. The opening game was damn close. This UVa game is coming down to the wire. Then, I can watch the second half of the Zags game and hope for the upset.

UNC-W not going away... so tempting to root against the conference and against my bracket to see the upset.

Why root against Gonzaga if you think Duke would beat them were they to play each other? Don't you want all of the teams you are confident Duke would beat to stay in as long as possible?

Edouble
03-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Why root against Gonzaga if you think Duke would beat them were they to play each other? Don't you want all of the teams you are confident Duke would beat to stay in as long as possible?

For me, we just beat the Zags two years ago. Personally, I would love to kick WVU's a** again. 2010 was such sweet revenge, but I'd happily dole out another dose.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2017, 10:37 AM

I just like upsets. Once I fill out my bracket and the games start, I enjoy watching the buzzer beaters and upsets. Nothing strategic about it from my Duke fan side.

Troublemaker
03-17-2017, 10:45 AM

Agreed. I feel the same way even while knowing it's irrational / superstitious / dumb. If today's evening session starts without a major upset having occurred, I'll feel quite nervous. It's like that poker saying -- if you look around and can't spot the fish at the table, then you're the fish.

I've never heard anything negative about Brey leaving for Delaware. It would be surprising if Brey weren't on good terms and very appreciative of his time at Duke and of Coach K. Before K hired him, Brey was an assistant coach in high school.

Clarke was a big loss to the season. Losing 6-10 PF/C Kerry Blackshear for the entire season before it began made VT's season look even better as well. While not a superstar, I think he would have been a key player and their only "true" big. If Blackshear and Clarke get healthy, I think Buzz will have VT looking to improve on their 7th place ACC finish next year.

Clarke may have gotten injured late enough in this season (Feb 12th) that he might redshirt next season. And even though LeDay and Allen came off the bench, I think those two seniors were VaTech's best players. As of right now, I have the Hokies taking a step back next season. But I'm confident Buzz has them pointed in the right direction overall.

weezie
03-17-2017, 10:51 AM
Again, if AZ can keep their act together and not go all wacky with preening and lazy shot selection while holding lead, they are huuuuuuge and will be a tough out. Big guys who can shoot all over the arc.
Kinda scary.

Bluedog
03-17-2017, 10:55 AM

Brey said very positive things about Duke during the press conference after the ACC tournament this year. Sounded very pro-Duke.

flyingdutchdevil
03-17-2017, 10:58 AM
Brey said very positive things about Duke during the press conference after the ACC tournament this year. Sounded very pro-Duke.

Yeah...Brey should and does put ND first and foremost. He's always been respectful of Duke and Coach K, even though he likes to beat us a lot.

CDu
03-17-2017, 11:03 AM
So I managed to go the opening day 16 for 16!

Today I have just 3 double-digit seeds advancing:
- URI over Creighton
- KSU over Cincinnati
- Wichita State over Dayton

Troublemaker
So far, the Greatest Conference in the Country has been less than impressive in both the NCAA and the NIT.

A little early to jump to conclusions. If Duke, UNC and Louisville win (as they should), the ACC will have six teams in the second round -- the same as last year, when the ACC had the greatest NCAA run in history. If Miami can win vs. Michigan State (not counting on it, but it wouldn't be a big upset) then the ACC would have seven in the second round -- the most it's ever had.

Of course, the real test of conference depth will come when the teams start vying for the Sweet 16. We've had five and six teams in the Sweet 16 round the last two years. Let's wait and see how that goes.

I think you guys are both right. Since OPK used the soft term "less than impressive," I have to agree. So far the conference has been that. But I also agree that the conference has a bunch of teams playing today, and let's see how they fare.

Part of the problem yesterday was that the ACC had two teams playing in the dangerous 5-12 matchups. You could argue that ND and UVA did well just to survive and advance, even if they looked less than impressive doing so.

DukieInBrasil
so far the ACC is 3-2 in the NCAA. ND, UVA and FSU winning, while Wake and VT lost. NIT saw Syracuse and GT win while Clemson lost a 20-pt lead and the game. No ACC teams play in the CBI or CIT.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 11:27 AM
So I managed to go the opening day 16 for 16!

Today I have just 3 double-digit seeds advancing:
- URI over Creighton
- KSU over Cincinnati
- Wichita State over Dayton

Congrats. Solid work.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2017, 11:27 AM
Pizza buffet and a local IPA to pregame.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 11:34 AM
About to have a Chris Collins interview plus two pieces about Duke on Sportscaster, FYI.

budwom
03-17-2017, 11:38 AM
I delay my conference assessments until after the first two rounds...by Sunday evening, much of the chaff has been discarded...