PDA

View Full Version : The Apocalypse (Duke-UNC for the national championship)

JasonEvans
03-15-2017, 06:28 PM
So, the DBR has comments and a link to the Luke DeCock N&O column (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article138454328.html)about the possibility that Duke and UNC meet in the finals.

for the first time since 2012, both teams are legitimate national-title contenders in the same season. This is the 12th time both teams have been either a No. 1 or No. 2 seed, and the seventh time they have been on opposite sides of the bracket, and yet 1991 was the closest it ever got. For 13 of 14 seasons, from 1988 to 2001, one of the schools was in the Final Four. And only in 1991 were they ever there together.

So the arc of basketball history clearly bends toward this cataclysm.

We have all heard the arguments about how it would hurt the rivalry by giving one side a permanent leg up. "Yeah, you have beaten us 8 times in a row..but we won the only time it ever really mattered." I used to feel that way, but I'm not sure I agree anymore. Wins and losses from a given season fade. We always care more about what comes next than what came in the past. I'm not saying a win in the Natty wouldn't be worth more than a regular season win or an ACC tourney win. Heck, it probably gives the winner a smile they will not lose for a season or two, but it is not like it permanently destroys the rivalry or ends the argument about which school is better at hoops. In fact, I think a good argument could be made that the mere fact that two fierce rivals played for the national title would enhance their collective stature and argument as the greatest rivalry in sports.

By the way, it is more than mere conjecture this season. Obama just showed off his bracket on ESPN and he has Duke and UNC playing for the title (he has the bad guys winning). Lots of college hoops experts are picking this game to happen. ESPN's Jay Bilas, Cory Alexander, Dan Dakitch, LaPhonso Ellis, and Dino Gaudio all have Duke and UNC in the Final Four together.

Anyway, I want to judge how all of you feel about this. So, I am putting up a poll. Do you want it to happen or not? I'm eager to see what we all think.

-Jason "no copping out and saying, 'I want it to happen... if we win!' You only get to say if you do or do not want to see the game happen" Evans

JasonEvans
03-15-2017, 06:29 PM
As a side note, the Luke DeCock N&O column (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article138454328.html) contains this picture with the following caption:

"Duke's Amile Jefferson and Matt Jones defend UNC's Isiah Hicks"
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/uj7to9/picture138454318/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/decock.display

Ummmm, I'm not sure a Carolina fan would call that "defense." They might be inclined to call it just "fouling the !#^@Q^@ out of..."

Native
03-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Do you want it to happen or not?

Not in a million years. No way.

rthomas
03-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Came too close in 91.

dukelifer
03-15-2017, 06:36 PM
So, the DBR has comments and a link to the Luke DeCock N&O column (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article138454328.html)about the possibility that Duke and UNC meet in the finals.

We have all heard the arguments about how it would hurt the rivalry by giving one side a permanent leg up. "Yeah, you have beaten us 8 times in a row..but we won the only time it ever really mattered." I used to feel that way, but I'm not sure I agree anymore. Wins and losses from a given season fade. We always care more about what comes next than what came in the past. I'm not saying a win in the Natty wouldn't be worth more than a regular season win or an ACC tourney win. Heck, it probably gives the winner a smile they will not lose for a season or two, but it is not like it permanently destroys the rivalry or ends the argument about which school is better at hoops. In fact, I think a good argument could be made that the mere fact that two fierce rivals played for the national title would enhance their collective stature and argument as the greatest rivalry in sports.

By the way, it is more than mere conjecture this season. Obama just showed off his bracket on ESPN and he has Duke and UNC playing for the title (he has the bad guys winning). Lots of college hoops experts are picking this game to happen. ESPN's Jay Bilas, Cory Alexander, Dan Dakitch, LaPhonso Ellis, and Dino Gaudio all have Duke and UNC in the Final Four together.

Anyway, I want to judge how all of you feel about this. So, I am putting up a poll. Do you want it to happen or not? I'm eager to see what we all think.

-Jason "no copping out and saying, 'I want it to happen... if we win!' You only get to say if you do or do not want to see the game happen" Evans

It only does not matter if Duke wins as we Duke fans would never laud it over our rivals. Seriously, the rarity of it happening again makes this a bad, bad outcome. I have less of a problem losing to UNC on the way to the championship - but I am not sure I could watch a championship game live and if Duke were to lose- I could never watch the game at all.

Wander
03-15-2017, 06:37 PM
Depends on the year. This year - bring it on. I'm confident in our chances. A year like 2012*? No way.

(*I have no idea how you can make the claim that 2012 is the last year we were both title contenders, like the author does)

gam7
03-15-2017, 06:40 PM

No thank you. Not this year. Would have loved to have seen it in 1999 though. It would be awesome, and it wouldn't destroy the rivalry, but I think it's a bad matchup for us, rivalry aside.

Kenpom gives it 1.3% chance of happening. fivethirtyeight gives it a 1.8% chance of it happening. It sure feels like the probability of it happening is higher than that, but chances are very slim that it will play out that way...

RPS
03-15-2017, 06:40 PM
Not in a million years. No way.

Loss aversion (https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-is-loss-aversion/) suggests as much.

SupaDave
03-15-2017, 06:43 PM
I absolutely feel that we would beat them again. Bring it on. But they aint getting past Butler...

throatybeard
03-15-2017, 06:54 PM

As evidence that it's more than mere conjecture, you literally just cited a bunch of conjecture. 😂😂😂

hudlow
03-15-2017, 07:14 PM
No, I never want to see the cheats in the finals, regardless of their opponent, ever.

wsb3
03-15-2017, 07:15 PM
Please No. I am having enough sleep problems as it is..

DinoDuke
03-15-2017, 07:18 PM
I don't want it to happen, not because I think it would ruin the rivalry in anyway shape or form. But because the anxiety would be too much, i'd lose sleep, i'd feel sick, I'd become a social recluse...

... and this is for the leadup. If UNC actually won? I don't know what I'd do.

BLPOG
03-15-2017, 07:19 PM
I don't particularly agree with the wording of the response in the negative (i.e. "destroy the rivalry"), and I even think our chances would be pretty good this year. That said, I never want to see this game. Usually I don't like discussing this topic around tournament time (even though it always comes up) because there is a sort of implicit weauxfing going on - let's focus on the game directly ahead of us. The real problem is that the downside is so large, especially for Duke fans. I think that the people mentioning loss aversion are spot on, but it's not just the psychological bias figuring in. It's a real calculation that the loss has a larger negative payout than the win, especially for Duke fans. Obviously this reasoning is primarily focused on North Carolina residents, but Tar Heels don't have to deal with constant abuse from Blue Devil fans. Duke fans do have to deal with that from UNC alumni, Walmart-er fans, and the rest. I could talk for a while about the unprovoked confrontations and mistreatment I've dealt with from UNC fans inside and outside North Carolina just for wearing a piece of Blue Devil apparel, as could many other Duke fans. If Duke lost in a title game to UNC, it would be worse than ever.

Apocalypse is a good term for it.

toooskies
03-15-2017, 07:24 PM
Any reality with Duke in the championship game is a good outcome. Those that also include UNC are less-good, but still good.

brevity
03-15-2017, 07:26 PM
The correct answer is Yes, and it helps to rephrase the question like this:

You've seen the bracket and how easy the chalk path would be for UNC. And that's chalk; upsets happen and make the path even easier. Remember last year when UNC got to play Syracuse in the Final Four?

You can easily imagine UNC getting to the title game. So here's the question: do you want Duke, and Coach K, to stand in their way, or do you trust another team to get it done?

Villanova 2016 got it done, just barely. Illinois 2005 and Michigan 1993 fell short, just barely. (And don't forget Helms 1924, just bakery.)

kAzE
03-15-2017, 07:31 PM
There needs to be another option in this poll: "No, but only because I would rather not see UNC get another Final Four, because they are dirty cheaters, and I hope they lose to Texas Southern."

I vote for that one.

throatybeard
03-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Whatever possibility involves my having to deal with their aggressive, abusive fans the least.

duke4ever19
03-15-2017, 07:39 PM
The correct answer is Yes, and it helps to rephrase the question like this:

You've seen the bracket and how easy the chalk path would be for UNC. And that's chalk; upsets happen and make the path even easier. Remember last year when UNC got to play Syracuse in the Final Four?

You can easily imagine UNC getting to the title game. So here's the question: do you want Duke, and Coach K, to stand in their way, or do you trust another team to get it done?

Villanova 2016 got it done, just barely. Illinois 2005 and Michigan 1993 fell short, just barely. (And don't forget Helms 1924, just bakery.)

Fun fact: Northwestern, even though they only just now made the NCAA Tournament, can claim a national title in college basketball.

The Helms Committee awarded Northwestern the title in 1931, retroactively, I think.

My question: Does Northwestern have a banner hanging in their arena for that title like the good folks at UNC do for theirs?

Bluegrassdevil1
03-15-2017, 07:48 PM
So...

Carolina would avoid the hammer and anvil of the NCAA in return for losing in the title game at the hands of the greatest shot in college basketball history?

And...

During the following year, they lose in the title game to their rival?

Three times in four games to said rival?

And...

Duke wins two titles in three years?

I would risk it.

Reilly
03-15-2017, 08:15 PM
Seems like a heads-I-win-tails-you-lose proposition for Duke: either Duke wins the game and championship, or UNC gets it vacated in a couple years.

UNCfan
03-15-2017, 08:39 PM
The risk outweighs the reward. I do not believe I could handle it. When Berry got his 4th foul the other night, I knew the game was lost. A loss sits so heavy on me. Intense dread. I said this before, but the Rivers shot in Chapel Hill was more painful than the shot Jenkins hit last year to win the NC. After the disbelief and agony I felt when Rivers sank that shot, nothing else can compare. Gave me Duke game PTSD!

duketaylor
03-15-2017, 08:47 PM
Question is just a bit premature, IMO. (Tho I voted "yes"):cool:

MChambers
03-15-2017, 08:52 PM
Question is just a bit premature, IMO. (Tho I voted "yes"):cool:

I'll vote on this poll only when both teams make the Final Four in the same season. Thanks goodness the interwebs weren't around in 1991. Of course, everyone knew Vegas was going to win that year.

jwillfan
03-15-2017, 09:04 PM
I think what @ICMeltdown retweeted has it right:

"This. Any other response and you don't "get" UNC/Duke. This ain't some every other year type rivalry."

https://twitter.com/awbatchelor/status/842101862954340352

wsb3
03-15-2017, 09:23 PM
I'll vote on this poll only when both teams make the Final Four in the same season. Thanks goodness the interwebs weren't around in 1991. Of course, everyone knew Vegas was going to win that year.

And it seems they were suppose to beat UNC in the final.. I remember being so relieved when UNC lost...We had the last game... UNC was gone & we were playing a game few expected us to win..

And Vegas did finish it off undefeated right?

Newton_14
03-15-2017, 09:30 PM
I voted No, (actually HELL NO), but not because I think it would harm the rivalry. For one, I would not sleep a wink from the final Horn in the second semi-final game until the Tip-Off of the Title Game. I would dread it unlike anything I have ever dreaded. My heart would be in danger of exploding. I am unsure if I could even watch it. If I did try to watch it and we fell behind by even a point my gut would knot up even more than it would already be knotted. Heck, I have come to dread and dislike the Regular Season games. I was kind of ok this past Friday Night because the unequal days of rest gave us a built in "out". I was going to be ok with a loss as long as it was a hard fought game that could have gone either way. I'm quite sure that when we came roaring back from the 13 point deficit, and took the lead, had any of you been outside you would have heard me screaming and yelling from Creedmoor. I knew they were toast when we took the lead. One of those "no doubters" in my mind. But alas this thread is not for recapping the beautiful win last Friday, but dang it sure is fun doing just that.

Here's the thing for me to wrap this up. Roy actually made a very eloquent statement in the post-game presser of the Title Game last year. It was something I have always believed based on the experience of going through both emotions many times throughout my own sports career. I don't remember exactly how he worded it, but when asked about the emotions they had just went through from the time Paige hit his shot and Jenkins hit his shot, Roy stated something to the effect of "the highs of winning do not offset the lows of losing." He's right too. The pain of losing to them in a National Title game is not something I would ever be willing to risk, even though the euphoria of beating them in a National Title game would be unlike any high most of us could ever dream of experiencing.

It's sort of like when the most annoying cheat fan at work comes up to me before every single Duke/Cheat game and goes "Hey Mark, let's bet on the game tonight...if Duke wins I will wear a Duke shirt and they lose you have to wear a Cheat shirt"... My answer to him is the same every time... "Dude, I will never ever risk having to put that crap on my body. Not happening".

The one rational Cheat fan at work (if there is such a thing) feels exactly the same as I do on this topic... he has stated numerous times he wants no part of that game, ever.

LasVegas
03-15-2017, 09:36 PM
Yeah, it's a hard no for me. I wouldn't be able to even watch it and I'm a big fan of the belief that "it's just a game". But a game vs. our rivals for the national title? Count me out. I'd peak at the score every 15 minutes on my phone and then rewatch the game if we won.

UNCfan
03-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Last years title game is still on my DVR. That shot will be replayed at the start of every NCAA broadcast this year, is watching that still fun for you guys?

devildeac
03-15-2017, 09:44 PM
As a side note, the Luke DeCock N&O column (http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article138454328.html) contains this picture with the following caption:

"Duke's Amile Jefferson and Matt Jones defend UNC's Isiah Hicks"
http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/uj7to9/picture138454318/ALTERNATES/FREE_960/decock.display

Ummmm, I'm not sure a Carolina fan would call that "defense." They might be inclined to call it just "fouling the !#^@Q^@ out of..."

And that d-bag conveniently left out the photo of meeks (?) fouling Tatum on the face/head AND then on the arm just before Tatum posterized him on that dunk that someone here posted a gif file and a still photo a few days ago.

devildeac
03-15-2017, 09:51 PM
There needs to be another option in this poll: "No, but only because I would rather not see UNC get another Final Four, because they are dirty, rotten, lying cheaters, and I hope they lose to Texas Southern."

I vote for that one.

Embellished your thoughts a bit. :o

I will subscribe to this option. And, failing Texas Southern, go Arkansas/Seton Hall, and, failing that...

Y'all get my point. GTHc, GTH.

9F.

ncexnyc
03-15-2017, 09:58 PM
It's not happening because I've got Duke beating Kentucky for the championship in my pool at work.;)

Newton_14
03-15-2017, 10:00 PM
And that d-bag conveniently left out the photo of meeks (?) fouling Tatum on the face/head AND then on the arm just before Tatum posterized him on that dunk that someone here posted a gif file and a still photo a few days ago.

Heck, that looks like a clear foul on Hicks there to me...

devildeac
03-15-2017, 10:13 PM
Heck, that looks like a clear foul on Hicks there to me...

Ya know, upon further review, you are correct. It really looks like hicks could be called for 2 fouls there: 1) He has Matt's arm locked. 2) He's elbowing Amile in the chest. :rolleyes:

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 10:18 PM
There was a time when the idea of UNC beating Duke in the finals would have terrified me.

Now, I don't care. (Well, I would care, but no more than if Duke lost to Arizona, Kentucky or Kansas).

No matter what they achieve, I'll know they are the most corrupt program in college spots. Nothing they accomplish is for real.

hallcity
03-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Too cosmic. Don't want UK either but that wouldn't be quite as bad -- way more pressure on UK than Duke in that game.

Reddevil
03-15-2017, 10:31 PM
NO,, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO, NEVER, EVER!!!
It would not destroy the rivalry, but it would trump everything until it ever happened again, and the other side won whoever it is. One game where anything could happen should not carry that much weight, but it would. It would.

rsvman
03-15-2017, 10:33 PM
Nope.

weezie
03-15-2017, 10:43 PM
Understood all in fun but this thread makes me uneasy.

MarkD83
03-15-2017, 10:48 PM
The risk outweighs the reward. I do not believe I could handle it. When Berry got his 4th foul the other night, I knew the game was lost. A loss sits so heavy on me. Intense dread. I said this before, but the Rivers shot in Chapel Hill was more painful than the shot Jenkins hit last year to win the NC. After the disbelief and agony I felt when Rivers sank that shot, nothing else can compare. Gave me Duke game PTSD!

UNCfan, I respect your honesty especially saying it on DBR.

I voted yes however, because after many years as a Duke fan my memory of losses to UNC is very hazy but Duke wins are crystal clear. In fact all of the DVDs I have of Duke/UNC games are Duke wins. In my world Duke is undefeated against UNC.

devildeac
03-15-2017, 10:49 PM
No, again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_Lnz64vXB8

chriso
03-16-2017, 12:03 AM
[QUOTE=weezie;962947]Understood all in fun but this thread makes me uneasy.[/QUOTE

Comon people! We're Duke! We're ACC Champs! Bring it on! I say 7 game series and we spot UNC 3 games. As they said in Remember the Titans "leave no doubt." Bring...em...on! :cool:;):p

jipops
03-16-2017, 12:23 AM
You know how it is still painful thinking about that '99 title loss? Multiply that x 1 billion. I want no part of this. Despite our 2-1 record this season I believe them to be the better team.

Atlanta Duke
03-16-2017, 12:34 AM
It would be painful to watch and even worse to watch a loss.

Add to that I am old enough to remember looking ahead to Duke playing UNC in the 1979 Eastern Regional Final in Greensboro - then Black Sunday happened in Raleigh

So I do not want it to happen and am not going to anticipate it will happen until that meeting is set

BigWayne
03-16-2017, 04:11 AM
I would answer no, but not for the reason given. I answer no because I want no part of UNC winning 5 games in the tourney to get there. My bracket has us getting revenge on Louisville for the 86 game.

MarkD83
03-16-2017, 05:07 AM
Let's think of this analytically.

Coach K has already beaten Roy once in an NCAA Championship Game (1992).

So which coach do you think will have a hard time dealing with this game and make a ton of bad decisions? (Ole Roy)

In a Duke/UNC title game I could see Roy trying to do something to honor Dean and putting in his blue team. To match Duke's small line-up he decides to play a line-up of

Stillman White
Luke May
Seventh Woods
Brandon Robinson
Nate Britt (sorry Wheat, I had to do this)

and then lectures the players on the bench about how to run a secondary break. Meanwhile the blue team is getting killed.

After the game Roy is asked about his bizarre move and says

"After the 89th practice you think they would know how to run our daggum plays. That's why I left them in.
Also, I did know... and
I don't give a **** about North Carolina..."

weezie
03-16-2017, 08:18 AM
[QUOTE=weezie;962947]Understood all in fun but this thread makes me uneasy.[/QUOTE

Comon people! We're Duke! We're ACC Champs! Bring it on! I say 7 game series and we spot UNC 3 games. As they said in Remember the Titans "leave no doubt." Bring...em...on! :cool:;):p

Hey! Who are you calling "comon"?!
I resemble that comment! :cool:

Kedsy
03-16-2017, 09:03 AM
The odds of Texas Southern beating UNC are greater than the odds of a Duke/UNC final coming to pass. I'm rooting for the more sensible option.

Matches
03-16-2017, 09:09 AM
I don't ever want to play them in any round of the NCAAT. LOVE matching up with them in the ACCT, but want no part of a NCAAT game. The stakes are just too high. Beating them would be utter nirvana, but managing to hold it together long enough to watch the game.... can't do it....

JasonEvans
03-16-2017, 09:18 AM
after many years as a Duke fan my memory of losses to UNC is very hazy but Duke wins are crystal clear. In fact all of the DVDs I have of Duke/UNC games are Duke wins. In my world Duke is undefeated against UNC.

I like your thoughts and would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 09:26 AM
I don't ever want to play them in any round of the NCAAT. LOVE matching up with them in the ACCT, but want no part of a NCAAT game. The stakes are just too high. Beating them would be utter nirvana, but managing to hold it together long enough to watch the game... can't do it...

Yup. 10x.

If you want the state of North Carolina to lead the country in heart attacks, then please have Duke and UNC play in the tournament. If you want the regular-season rivalry to become slightly more meaningless, then please have Duke and UNC play in the tournament.

Henderson
03-16-2017, 09:33 AM
I don't understand all the cowering under blankets here. A lot of the same schtick we heard in fear that Duke would play UNC in the ACCT. Did some 8 year old girl hack a bunch of member accounts?

Damn straight I want Duke to play in the natty title game.

And I want the biggest, mostest, baddest, hugest college basketball final ever, with Duke right there in it.

I want Truth going to war against The Lie with everything on the line.

Bring on the Cheats.

9F

chriso
03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
I don't understand all the cowering under blankets here. A lot of the same schtick we heard in fear that Duke would play UNC in the ACCT. Did some 8 year old girl hack a bunch of member accounts?

And I want the biggest, mostest, baddest, hugest college basketball final ever, with Duke right there in it.

Bring on the Cheats.

9F

This. Someone on here is always quoting Captain Kirk "either they go down or we do." Yes! As for the rivalry, playing NC for a NC would cement it, hands down, as the greatest rivalry in sports. And K in a one game winner take all scenario? Yes please. :cool::cool: Vrank with a 3 pointer at the buzzer for the win after all of our bigs foul out...One shining moment and one crying Jordan. :) How's that for a ceiling?

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 10:26 AM

Bring on the Cheats.

9F

8 year old boys cry a lot too.

Indoor66
03-16-2017, 10:37 AM
8 year old boys cry a lot too.

Isn't the larger question: which bathroom to they use?

kAzE
03-16-2017, 10:43 AM
I had a dream last night that Duke won the national championship over UNC, with Matt Jones hitting a buzzer beating 3 in the 2nd overtime. Then we had a huge bonfire on East campus with Queen's "We are the Champions" as the soundtrack.

Song's been in my head all morning.

chriso
03-16-2017, 10:45 AM
I had a dream last night that Duke won the national championship over UNC, with Matt Jones hitting a buzzer beating 3 in the 2nd overtime. Then we had a huge bonfire on East campus with Queen's "We are the Champions" as the soundtrack.

Song's been in my head all morning.

That's a good dream. :cool:

Steven43
03-16-2017, 10:58 AM

Bring on the Cheats.

9F
Do you live in North Carolina? Do you live in the Triangle? Do you live in Durham? If you answered 'yes' to any of the three I don't understand you. Many of the thousands of UNC fans I have encountered since moving to Durham in 2000 are among the most smug, delusional, petty and vindictive fans I have ever had the displeasure of meeting. How could you possibly watch that game without risking either a heart attack or suicide? Are you just a lifelong risk-taker (jump out of airplanes, base-jump off 3,000 ft. waterfalls over jagged cliffs, ride a motorcycle at night in the rain wearing shorts and a t-shirt)?

These people don't play fair. Probably 80-90% of their current team should be academically ineligible. And that's likely the case with every UNC team for the past 25 years or more. Did you see the officiating in the most recent Duke-UNC game? Do you want to risk putting a national championship in the hands of potentially incompetent and maybe even biased referees? Are you not beyond shocked that UNC has yet to receive the virtual deathblow from the NCAA that they almost assuredly deserve? Do you think that is a coincidence, or is it just a bit more than possible that this cheating school has influence with the powers that be?

Since the school itself has been so thoroughly invested in cheating over the last three decades would you put it past one of their wealthy boosters to try and influence an official in an attempt to tilt the national championship game in their favor? Their hatred of Duke--borne of white-hot jealousy--is so intense I would almost expect something like that to happen. No, this game cannot happen. The risk FAR outweighs the reward.

Doria
03-16-2017, 12:59 PM
Yup. 10x.

If you want the state of North Carolina to lead the country in heart attacks, then please have Duke and UNC play in the tournament. If you want the regular-season rivalry to become slightly more meaningless, then please have Duke and UNC play in the tournament.

Heck, forget leading in heart attacks. I don't want NC to edge up in homicides!

Indoor66
03-16-2017, 01:12 PM
Yup. 10x.

Devildeac will get rich! 😈😛😎

DukieInKansas
03-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Yup. 10x.

DD - Does this change your answer to the question?

devildeac
03-16-2017, 02:44 PM
DD - Does this change your answer to the question?

Does not change my answer. We'll be open for business. :o;)

Sir Stealth
03-16-2017, 04:59 PM
This question is basically the equivalent of saying "Would you play Russian roulette with a half-filled chamber, if you win you get $10 million." Perhaps some are so confident in our chances you can remove one more bullet. Count me out.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 05:02 PM
This question is basically the equivalent of saying "Would you play Russian roulette with a half-filled chamber, if you win you get $10 million." Perhaps some are so confident in our chances you can remove one more bullet. Count me out.

I'd like to think only 2 of the 6 chambers are filled, and the payout is $100M.

jipops
03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
The odds of Texas Southern beating UNC are greater than the odds of a Duke/UNC final coming to pass. I'm rooting for the more sensible option.

Yet I would think the odds increase substantially as each team advances.

CameronBornAndBred
03-17-2017, 09:32 PM
I voted no, but not because "it would destroy the rivalry". That is insane, it would be great for the rivalry. I voted no because it would be horrible for my health.

aimo
03-17-2017, 10:28 PM
I voted no, but not because "it would destroy the rivalry". That is insane, it would be great for the rivalry. I voted no because it would be horrible for my health.

This. Plus, I would have to move out of state. And I don't want to do that.

The Gordog
03-17-2017, 11:49 PM
I don't live in NC, so the potential loss is less for me than it would be for those of you who do.

I figure they are still cheating and will eventually have all these wins vacated anyway. Maybe.

cspan37421
03-18-2017, 11:54 AM
Rivalry?

After what they did? ha. They're not even in the "they're just another team" category to me. They're beneath that.

royalblue
03-18-2017, 04:33 PM
This. Someone on here is always quoting Captain Kirk "either they go down or we do." Yes! As for the rivalry, playing NC for a NC would cement it, hands down, as the greatest rivalry in sports. And K in a one game winner take all scenario? Yes please. :cool::cool: Vrank with a 3 pointer at the buzzer for the win after all of our bigs foul out...One shining moment and one crying Jordan. :) How's that for a ceiling?

I will be in "the valley of the sun" so one mans ceiling is another mans roof.
This would be the only thing that could top Jenkins supernova A "Young Vrankinstein" 3 for the win to complete
Back to Back championship heartbreak.
With K I like the Blue Devils chances of getting it done.

BandAlum83
03-18-2017, 11:40 PM
OK, I'll weigh in.

I say bring it on! The week before will be anxiety driven he'll. The game itself will turn my guts to knots.

I could end up the most thrilling game ever, and I always did love roller coasters.

If we are good enough to get to the championship game by winning our 9th in a row against quality teams, we are good enough to beat UNC a third time.

ipatent
03-18-2017, 11:53 PM
I have a hard time visualizing Duke's defense stopping the Arizona offense on display tonight if it gets that far.

Doria
03-19-2017, 12:01 AM
I have a hard time visualizing Duke's defense stopping the Arizona offense on display tonight if it gets that far.

Me, too, but one sports apocalypse at a time.

-bdbd
03-19-2017, 12:59 AM
ACC NOT LOOKING TOO GOOD RIGHT NOW.
Today, 0-3, despite being favored in at least two of them, and two of the losses were blowouts. Ugh. Call it "Bloody Saturday" for the ACC. FSU blown out by #11 Xavier, UVA got destroyed by UF, and ND trailed the whole way in, ultimately, losing by double-digits to WVU.

BUT IT IS GOING TO TAKE SOMETHING LIKE A DUKE UN@Cheat FINALS IN ORDER FOR THE ACC TO BE REDEEMED...

Troublemaker
03-19-2017, 08:21 AM
Today, 0-3, despite being favored in at least two of them, and two of the losses were blowouts. Ugh. Call it "Bloody Saturday" for the ACC. FSU blown out by #11 Xavier, UVA got destroyed by UF, and ND trailed the whole way in, ultimately, losing by double-digits to WVU.

BUT IT IS GOING TO TAKE SOMETHING LIKE A DUKE UN@Cheat FINALS IN ORDER FOR THE ACC TO BE REDEEMED...

Pass. Hopefully Arkansas blows out UNC tonight.

(The conference can get some redemption with a Duke national title. Or just do better next season.)

Indoor66
03-19-2017, 08:41 AM

If you seek redemption, a Basketball venue is not the right place.

chriso
03-19-2017, 12:00 PM
If you seek redemption, a Basketball venue is not the right place.

Honestly if Duke wins today I could care less what the rest of the ACC does. It's all about Duke, Duke, Dukity Duke. :):cool: And I like the idea of us going further than the rest of the league. If we are in the Final Four our conference reputation will be just fine. It will anyway. Odds are either we or UNC are in the Final Four. Hopefully us. Maybe both. :)

BluDvlsN1
03-19-2017, 07:11 PM
These youngsters, that come to Duke are the best of the best.

They come to play at the best, for the best, and have the opportunity
to play for the highest stakes.

To a player or a coach, they do not blink.

Should they expect less from their fan base?

CDu
03-19-2017, 11:09 PM
Stupid thread. Please close it.