PDA

View Full Version : 2017 MBB Coaching Carousel

Pages : [1] 2

Hingeknocker
03-15-2017, 04:46 PM
Didn't see another thread started for this year, and we're off with a...well, not a bang, but probably more than a whimper anyway. Cuonzo Martin, late of Tennessee, has left the Cal Bears to take the head job at Mizzou. Mizzou was one of the worst P5 teams according to KenPom this year, so it's a bit surprising at first blush that Martin - who still seems to have a profile as an up-and-comer, even though he's now had 3 jobs in 9 years - would take this job. But, he's a native of East St. Louis and has coached in the state before at Missouri State.

There are also rumors swirling that Lorenzo Romar is going to be out at Washington, which would potentially put Columbia-native and #1 2017 recruit Michael Porter back on the market. Martin certainly showed his ability to recruit at Cal (Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb were stud recruits.)

Let the carousel begin!

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 05:03 PM
I should mention that Brian Gregory, fired at Georgia Tech a year ago, has just been hired at South Florida.

He spent the last year as a consultant for Tom Izzo at Michigan State.

Should be some work soon on Indiana, where Tom Crean could be on the way out (the Hoosiers played like it last night in Atlanta).

CrazyNotCrazie
03-15-2017, 05:11 PM
Didn't see another thread started for this year, and we're off with a...well, not a bang, but probably more than a whimper anyway. Cuonzo Martin, late of Tennessee, has left the Cal Bears to take the head job at Mizzou. Mizzou was one of the worst P5 teams according to KenPom this year, so it's a bit surprising at first blush that Martin - who still seems to have a profile as an up-and-comer, even though he's now had 3 jobs in 9 years - would take this job. But, he's a native of East St. Louis and has coached in the state before at Missouri State.

There are also rumors swirling that Lorenzo Romar is going to be out at Washington, which would potentially put Columbia-native and #1 2017 recruit Michael Porter back on the market. Martin certainly showed his ability to recruit at Cal (Jaylen Brown and Ivan Rabb were stud recruits.)

Let the carousel begin!

Always good to hire a coach who is coming off a home first round NIT loss to Cal State Bakersfield (the Roadrunners for those of you scoring at home) after losing six of their last nine

JasonEvans
03-15-2017, 05:16 PM
There are also rumors swirling that Lorenzo Romar is going to be out at Washington, which would potentially put Columbia-native and #1 2017 recruit Michael Porter back on the market.

What? How can Washington get rid of Romar? Last year he got freshman Marquese Chriss and Djounte Murray into the first round of the NBA draft. This year it appears Markelle Fultz will be one of the top few picks in the draft, perhaps number one. Next year he has Michael Poter coming in who also figures to move quickly to the top of the lottery after his stint in Washington.

Wait... I just had a thought... I think it may be that winning games is more important to Washington than sending kids off to the NBA lottery as quick as possible. Wow... that really changes things.

-Jason "shhhhh, no one tell Calipari about this. He will be shocked and dismayed to hear that recruiting isn't the most important thing" Evans

TexHawk
03-15-2017, 05:21 PM
Always good to hire a coach who is coming off a home first round NIT loss to Cal State Bakersfield (the Roadrunners for those of you scoring at home) after losing six of their last nine

Rumored that it is somewhere around $3.5 million per year, which is the Tom Izzo-level, just below Self and Miller. And more than Huggins, Beilein, Matta, Alford, Marshall, Drew, Smart, and Wright.

That is beyond bananas.

TexHawk
03-15-2017, 05:27 PM
What? How can Washington get rid of Romar? Last year he got freshman Marquese Chriss and Djounte Murray into the first round of the NBA draft. This year it appears Markelle Fultz will be one of the top few picks in the draft, perhaps number one. Next year he has Michael Poter coming in who also figures to move quickly to the top of the lottery after his stint in Washington.

Wait... I just had a thought... I think it may be that winning games is more important to Washington than sending kids off to the NBA lottery as quick as possible. Wow... that really changes things.

-Jason "shhhhh, no one tell Calipari about this. He will be shocked and dismayed to hear that recruiting isn't the most important thing" Evans

Of course you are correct, but I wonder if cutting Romar now really improves your situation much. He's got Porter (a stud in the mold of Kevin Durant), plus two other top-100 players coming in. Even if there's another 9-22 year coming up, your school at least gets some pub from having the likely #1 pick around. Durant didn't really accomplish much at Texas, but it (arguably) helped the school attract some national talent. Romar might even be able to catch lightning in a bottle and make the tournament with those guys.

Hingeknocker
03-15-2017, 05:32 PM

This is very true, and if it were anyone besides Mizzou who hired him, it would be a lot more eyebrow-raising. However, Martin did lead Cal to a #4 seed last year, but they were upset by #13 Hawaii in the first round. He also got Tennessee into the Sweet 16 as an 11 seed in 2014, after defeating Iowa in the play-in game, UMass in the first round, and Mercer (and for whatever reason I have a debilitating, permanent mental block for who Mercer upset) in the second round. While that was certainly a fortuitous bracket for them, they finished the year as #10 in KenPom, and were a trendy pick to beat whoever that #3 seed was.

For Mizzou, this is about as much of a home run hire as they were going to get after the last several years.

CameronBornAndBred
03-15-2017, 05:36 PM
Just a reminder that the whimpering started much closer to home, with NCSU looking to fill their void before the season even ended. That will be an interesting (as always) one to watch. ACC, lots of history, yet always the ugly stepchild of Tobacco Road, and seemingly always hard to find a good fit.

PackMan97
03-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Just a reminder that the whimpering started much closer to home, with NCSU looking to fill their void before the season even ended. That will be an interesting (as always) one to watch. ACC, lots of history, yet always the ugly stepchild of Tobacco Road, and seemingly always hard to find a good fit.

Not always the ugly stepchild. Keep in mind that prior to Coach K arriving at Duke and prior to UNC-CHeat emarking on the largest academic fraud in NCAA history...NC State had as many NCAA titles as UNC and two more than Duke...not to mention more ACC titles than both. NC State made Tobacco road what it is. The problem is that we basically self exiled ourselves in the 90's, Hung onto a coach too long in the '00s, hired an alumni because I don't know why and lost another 5 years and made a decent hire that just couldn't build a program year to year.

When you look at State, we have been able to recruit kids to play here. All we need is the right coach and I have a feeling that he's out there this time.

If Dayton, Butler, Witchita State, NCCU, VCU and UNC-W have all lost and we still don't have a coach, I'll start to whimper :)

-bdbd
03-15-2017, 06:15 PM
When you look at State, we have been able to recruit kids to play here. All we need is the right coach and I have a feeling that he's out there this time.

If Dayton, Butler, Witchita State, NCCU, VCU and UNC-W have all lost and we still don't have a coach, I'll start to whimper :)

"The truth is out there..." ??!
The State coaching situation has long since taken on the aura of the X-files.... :p

kAzE
03-15-2017, 06:24 PM
Romar officially fired. Someone is gonna hire him as an assistant within minutes. That man can recruit.

bob blue devil
03-15-2017, 06:33 PM
Romar officially fired. Someone is gonna hire him as an assistant within minutes. That man can recruit.

and we have a couple of crystal ball prognostications sending porter to... wait for it... missouri.

MPandolfi
03-15-2017, 06:40 PM
and we have a couple of crystal ball prognostications sending porter to... wait for it... missouri.

Both him and his brother are from Columbia, and Missouri was one of his finalists. His father was also an assistant for the women's team. Martin bringing him on board seems like a no brainer.

DangerDevil
03-15-2017, 06:53 PM

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/15/lorenzo-romar-washington-huskies-coach-fired

ESPN’s Paul Biancardi reported that Michael Porter Sr., a former assistant on the women’s team at Missouri, will join Martin there as an assistant coach next season. Biancardi also reports that Porter Jr. never signed a letter of intent, although Washington officially announced that he had.

Henderson
03-15-2017, 08:32 PM
Any woman who wants to date Michael Porter Jr. will have to hook Michael Porter Sr. up with her mom.

Reilly
03-15-2017, 08:42 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/15/lorenzo-romar-washington-huskies-coach-fired

ESPN’s Paul Biancardi reported that Michael Porter Sr., a former assistant on the women’s team at Missouri, will join Martin there as an assistant coach next season. Biancardi also reports that Porter Jr. never signed a letter of intent, although Washington officially announced that he had.

Former Duke assistant/former JD assistant at Stanford Tim O'Toole was an assistant at Cal this past season, I believe.

gocanes0506
03-15-2017, 08:51 PM

Calipari I bet.

BD80
03-15-2017, 09:07 PM
How about Wes Miller at UNCG for ol' roy when the fake class fraud finally catches up with uncch?

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 09:23 PM

That would be a clear recruiting violation (to announce a player signing when he didn't).

Schools are not allowed to mention the names of prospects to the media -- they can only be mentioned when they sign. Even verbal commitments -- the kids can tell anybody they want, but the school cannot mention a player until he (1) signs a letter of intent or (2) actually enrolls.

Hingeknocker
03-15-2017, 10:42 PM
That would be a clear recruiting violation (to announce a player signing when he didn't).

Schools are not allowed to mention the names of prospects to the media -- they can only be mentioned when they sign. Even verbal commitments -- the kids can tell anybody they want, but the school cannot mention a player until he (1) signs a letter of intent or (2) actually enrolls.

I've seen conflicting reports on this. What seems to be most reliable says that he did in fact sign his LOI (allowing the school to mention him) but didn't sign his financial aid paperwork (giving Porter an out from his UW scholarship.) I'm not exactly sure how that second part works, but from the reporting it appears Porter is free to go elsewhere.

grad_devil
03-15-2017, 11:05 PM
I've seen conflicting reports on this. What seems to be most reliable says that he did in fact sign his LOI (allowing the school to mention him) but didn't sign his financial aid paperwork (giving Porter an out from his UW scholarship.) I'm not exactly sure how that second part works, but from the reporting it appears Porter is free to go elsewhere.

Close, but I believe you have it backwards. The institution can't comment publicly on a recruit until they have 1) signed an NLI or 2) signed a written offer of admission and/or financial aid or 3) paid a deposit in response to an offer of admission, according to 13.10.2.1:

13.10.2.1 Comments Before Commitment.
Before the signing of a prospective student-athlete to a National Letter of Intent or an institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid or before the institution receives his or her financial deposit in response to its offer of admission, a member institution may comment publicly only to the extent of confirming its recruitment of the prospective student-athlete. The institution may not comment generally about the prospective student-athlete’s ability or the contribution that the prospective student-athlete might make to the institution’s team; further, the institution is precluded from commenting in any manner as to the likelihood of the prospective student-athlete committing to or signing with that institution.

It's easy to get out of a written offer of admission and/or financial aid or lose your deposit; not so easy to get out of an NLI.

Hingeknocker
03-15-2017, 11:13 PM
Close, but I believe you have it backwards. The institution can't comment publicly on a recruit until they have 1) signed an NLI or 2) signed a written offer of admission and/or financial aid or 3) paid a deposit in response to an offer of admission, according to 13.10.2.1:

It's easy to get out of a written offer of admission and/or financial aid or lose your deposit; not so easy to get out of an NLI.

Ah, great info. Looking back, I think I was placing reliability with people who were going off of what Porter and his family said. If it's true that he did sign the financial aid paperwork but not the NLI, I'd bet that they told reporters they signed the NLI anyway, treating it like a catch-all for what they had done. Or they just didn't care about misleading the reporters, when in fact they had done something to appear to affirm his commitment to UW while maintaining other options. Smart move on their part, if so.

I don't blame anyone for getting this confused. The only people who fully know the contents of 13.10.2.1 are compliance officers, and posters on DBR - which is one great reason to keep coming back here.

chriso
03-16-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm from WA and was shocked. I thought he'd get one more year with that recruiting class. Romar is a class act for sure. But the Huskies were not even competitive the 2nd half of this season. Still sad, but it's a multi million dollar business. Thank you coach Romar. He put Husky basketball on the map and did it the right way. :(

CameronBornAndBred
03-16-2017, 12:09 PM
Not always the ugly stepchild. Keep in mind that prior to Coach K arriving at Duke and prior to UNC-CHeat emarking on the largest academic fraud in NCAA history...NC State had as many NCAA titles as UNC and two more than Duke...not to mention more ACC titles than both. NC State made Tobacco road what it is. The problem is that we basically self exiled ourselves in the 90's, Hung onto a coach too long in the '00s, hired an alumni because I don't know why and lost another 5 years and made a decent hire that just couldn't build a program year to year.

Totally agree, my "always" meant basically since Valvano. (Which has felt like an eternity.)
Looking forward to your insight as NCSU seeks out a new Alpha.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 12:18 PM

Porter is basically Jayson Tatum 2.0

He's my favorite recruit in that class.

Olympic Fan
03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Porter is basically Jayson Tatum 2.0

He's my favorite recruit in that class.

So, if he does end up at Missouri, will we have our third straight No. 1 NBA pick who played on a non-tournament team (Simmons, Fultz, Porter).

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 12:24 PM
So, if he does end up at Missouri, will we have our third straight No. 1 NBA pick who played on a non-tournament team (Simmons, Fultz, Porter).

Most certainly.

Duke and Kentucky have been surpassed as the OAD school of choice. The new team: whichever Power 5 school that WON'T get you to the tournament.

MPandolfi
03-16-2017, 12:25 PM
He and IU have parted ways.

kAzE
03-16-2017, 12:26 PM
He and IU have parted ways.

Another one bites the dust. Gregg Marshall time for IU?

UNCfan
03-16-2017, 12:28 PM
Will State make him an offer he cannot refuse, that he will refuse?

Spanarkel
03-16-2017, 12:32 PM

Bobby Knight was due to be in Bloomington on 3/30 for a speaking engagement at a local high school(alma mater of Burger Boy Sean May), but I don't think he'll go near the IU campus!

Olympic Fan
03-16-2017, 12:54 PM
(1) NC State will NOT pursue Tom Crean

(2) The early favorite for the job is Steve Alford (which raises the question, who gets the UCLA job).

(3) I talked to a very plugged in NCAA official about what happened in Washington. He said that it all started with Cuozo Martin. When he moved to Missouri, who do you think was his first hire? Washington assistant Michael Porter Sr. ... Obviously, his son was going to follow him to Missouri. And with Michael Porter Jr. no longer in the fold, there was no reason to keep Romar.

PS This guy assured me that Porter DID sign a LOI to Washington, but the added that the school was prepared to release him.

luburch
03-16-2017, 01:13 PM
(1) NC State will NOT pursue Tom Crean

(2) The early favorite for the job is Steve Alford (which raises the question, who gets the UCLA job).

(3) I talked to a very plugged in NCAA official about what happened in Washington. He said that it all started with Cuozo Martin. When he moved to Missouri, who do you think was his first hire? Washington assistant Michael Porter Sr. ... Obviously, his son was going to follow him to Missouri. And with Michael Porter Jr. no longer in the fold, there was no reason to keep Romar.

PS This guy assured me that Porter DID sign a LOI to Washington, but the added that the school was prepared to release him.

IU fans absolutely do not want Alford. Short list (of reasonable candidates) is: Bennett, Archie Miller, Marshall. Marshall turns a lot of people off, because he is similar to Crean off the court.

TexHawk
03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
I talked to a very plugged in NCAA official about what happened in Washington. He said that it all started with Cuozo Martin. When he moved to Missouri, who do you think was his first hire? Washington assistant Michael Porter Sr. ... Obviously, his son was going to follow him to Missouri. And with Michael Porter Jr. no longer in the fold, there was no reason to keep Romar.

Yeah, the timing was definitely backwards, or at least mixed up from what was initially reported. The plan all along was to hire Cuonzo to bring Daddy Porter. Cuonzo's Missouri ties are way way down the list of positives, this was all about getting Jr back to Columbia. And I wouldn't put Mizzou out of the 2018 field just yet. Word is Cuonzo is looking to poach a couple guys who are wavering on Illinois after the Groce firing.

Edit: Porter's younger brother Jontay (Top 25 player in 2018) is likely to re-classify to 2017 too.

Marshall makes the most sense at Indiana, but the Koch brothers are willing to pay him north of $4 million per to keep him in Wichita.

Indoor66
03-16-2017, 01:16 PM
IU fans absolutely do not want Alford. Short list (of reasonable candidates) is: Bennett, Archie Miller, Marshall. Marshall turns a lot of people off, because he is similar to Crean off the court.

I never could figure why IU hired Crean in the first place.

luburch
03-16-2017, 01:19 PM

He wasn't the first choice by any means. Sean Miller, Mark Few, and Tony Bennett all turned IU down. May have been more too.

MartyClark
03-16-2017, 01:23 PM

I'm curious, why don't the IU fans want Alford?

Do you think Alford has any interest in the job or is he content at UCLA?

luburch
03-16-2017, 01:26 PM
I'm curious, why don't the IU fans want Alford?

I'm sure he'd listen if he was called.

IU fans saw what transpired at Iowa under Alford and it wasn't great. UCLA wanted him gone before this season started. Feel they can do better.

wsb3
03-16-2017, 01:40 PM
What are the thoughts DBR posters on the Indiana job as far as how good a job it is today? Thanks..

throatybeard
03-16-2017, 01:51 PM
Better than most, not as good as it was.

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
What are the thoughts DBR posters on the Indiana job as far as how good a job it is today? Thanks..

I don't think anyone on the DBR boards would turn the job down. ;)

CameronBornAndBred
03-16-2017, 02:31 PM

Which is why I think it would be so attractive. Iconic program, with a fan base that will reward you with fortunes if you are successful. If a prospective coach has ideas of self worth, it is a great school to take a chance and prove yourself. If you fail, you might never coach from the end of the bench again...but it should be a risk worth taking if you can take the pressure.

wsb3
03-16-2017, 02:34 PM

Thank you for the chuckle...

OldPhiKap
03-16-2017, 02:37 PM

Ain't no good barbecue in Indiana. No thanks.

wsb3
03-16-2017, 02:41 PM

The dreary cold weather mentioned in Season on the Brink might keep me home here at Carolina Beach but I might try to endure for one season for that kind of $$$..

devildeac
03-16-2017, 03:35 PM

Some pretty good breweries. :o

Mal
03-16-2017, 04:00 PM

Therein lies the rub, too. Because the IU fan base still, 20 years on, thinks it's the Bobby Knight era and feels entitled to B1G titles on a regular basis. They've barely come to grips with the fact that MSU has passed them for supremacy in the conference pecking order, despite that happening a good decade ago. Consequently they haven't even noticed yet that Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin have caught or passed them, too, and that Maryland's joined the party. And they don't understand that the brand sits a tier below Kentucky, UNC and Duke and the name itself doesn't recruit the way those names do, so they can't just hire anyone and start getting great players again just by referencing their great and glorious history and candy striper warmups.

Which means that they're not yet ready for a "rebuild it from scratch but it's going to take 5 or 6 years and the culture needs to change completely" hero. Were I a successful coach looking for that chance of a lifetime upward move, I'd think twice about Indiana. I'd almost rather take a job like USC or Oklahoma or Purdue (not that they're open, but just that next level down in terms of historic name brand in hoops).

grad_devil
03-16-2017, 04:03 PM
Therein lies the rub, too. Because the IU fan base still, 20 years on, thinks it's the Bobby Knight era and feels entitled to B1G titles on a regular basis. They've barely come to grips with the fact that MSU has passed them for supremacy in the conference pecking order, despite that happening a good decade ago. Consequently they haven't even noticed yet that Ohio State, Michigan and Wisconsin have caught or passed them, too, and that Maryland's joined the party. And they don't understand that the brand sits a tier below Kentucky, UNC and Duke and the name itself doesn't recruit the way those names do, so they can't just hire anyone and start getting great players again just by referencing their great and glorious history and candy striper warmups.

Which means that they're not yet ready for a "rebuild it from scratch but it's going to take 5 or 6 years and the culture needs to change completely" hero. Were I a successful coach looking for that chance of a lifetime upward move, I'd think twice about Indiana. I'd almost rather take a job like USC or Oklahoma or Purdue (not that they're open, but just that next level down in terms of historic name brand in hoops).

It seems like one could draw a distinct parallel between IU and NCSU, no?

No offense to PackMan, of course.

Bluegrassdevil1
03-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Shigs in Pit in Fort Wayne and Shawn's Southern BBQ in New Albany are both highly rated, and more importantly, quite good.

And you have to remember that parts of Indiana are very close to Owensboro, and actively "borrow" from places like Moonlight.

And if anyone is in Greenville. SC for the Duke game(s), Bucky’s Bar-B-Q is excellent.

Just saying.

sagegrouse
03-16-2017, 04:09 PM

Well, no one ended his career on good terms with the University or its demanding fans:

Lessee... IU fired coaching legend Bobby Knight.

The fans ran off Mike Davis, Knight's successor, despite some degree of success. Davis then moved to UAB and on to Texas Southern, where he has had some success.

Kelvin Sampson was forced to resign due to a plethora of recruiting violations, beginning at Oklahoma and extending to IU. Sampson is now the head coach at the U. of Houston.

Tom Crean, after three losing seasons to begin his nine-year tenure, won two-thirds of his games at Indiana and two regular season championships.

Lots of coaches would take the job, given the money it pays. I expect the top candidates for head coaching positions, like Archie Miller, would be reluctant to go there.

Given the Indiana is thought to be a par, in terms of basketball history, with Kentucky, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas and (maybe) UCLA -- I doubt that it has the same ability to attract top-level coaches.

Mal
03-16-2017, 04:14 PM
It seems like one could draw a distinct parallel between IU and NCSU, no?

No offense to PackMan, of course.

Absolutely, although my sense is it's to a smaller degree at NC State. The difference being that the Pack saw both UNC and Duke win two titles within barely over a decade of their last one, and were never clearly ahead of Carolina in the longterm pecking order of the ACC to begin with. So if there was an air of invincibility there, it probably popped quicker, while IU could hang around near the top of the B1G for a long time after Knight left, because only Izzo built a consistently excellent program, and that program, for all its strengths, is still a long way from being Duke or Carolina.

Billy Dat
03-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Really? I am no fan of Crean, but I thought he really had it cooking at Marquette and thought it was a good hire at the time. He brought them back to national relevance pretty quickly after the Sampson fiasco.

I heard he has a $7MM buyout in his contract. No way IU should pay that for Alford. He's one Lonzo Ball recruitment away from being on the hot seat himself.

Seems like Marshall and Archie Miller are the hot names. After suffering through seeding chicanery the past few NCAAs, I'd make the jump if I was them. While it's tough to stand out in a Power 5, it's also tough having to be perfect as a mid major competing with the Power 5s.

wilson
03-16-2017, 04:34 PM

Which means that they're not yet ready for a "rebuild it from scratch but it's going to take 5 or 6 years and the culture needs to change completely" hero. Were I a successful coach looking for that chance of a lifetime upward move, I'd think twice about Indiana. I'd almost rather take a job like USC or Oklahoma or Purdue (not that they're open, but just that next level down in terms of historic name brand in hoops).Great post, Mal, and I agree. My one quibble is with your assessment of Maryland. I don't think they're any better than Indiana in terms of current brand. They have far less overall history, and haven't been to the Final Four (or even the Elite 8) any more recently than has Indiana (both teams' last appearance was the 2002 FF).
I agree that Indiana has a really tough situation here. I think they have little chance of plucking a truly name-brand coach, but I don't think their pride will allow them to acknowledge that.

TKG
03-17-2017, 05:18 PM
ESPN/TMZ reporting that State has hired Kevin Keatts of UNC-Wilmington.

JasonEvans
03-17-2017, 05:34 PM
ESPN/TMZ reporting that State has hired Kevin Keatts of UNC-Wilmington.

Really good hire. Supposedly Indiana wanted him but State pounced first. He has won everywhere he has gone and knows the ACC from his time as a Louisville assistant. He's young (44) and it won't hurt when he recruits that he is an African American coach -- not many of those in the ACC at the moment.

-Jason "obviously, time will tell, but I think this was a really good hire" Evans

ipatent
03-17-2017, 05:39 PM
Have to wonder if Chris Collins will show up on IU's list, he's surely attracted some attention this year.

Troublemaker
03-17-2017, 05:52 PM
Really good hire. Supposedly Indiana wanted him but State pounced first. He has won everywhere he has gone and knows the ACC from his time as a Louisville assistant. He's young (44) and it won't hurt when he recruits that he is an African American coach -- not many of those in the ACC at the moment.

-Jason "obviously, time will tell, but I think this was a really good hire" Evans

Good hire, but Keatts has never been an assistant in the ACC. Louisville has only been in the league 3 years. (At least in basketball; not sure about other sports).

JasonEvans
03-17-2017, 05:53 PM
Have to wonder if Chris Collins will show up on IU's list, he's surely attracted some attention this year.

I bet he is quite happy at NW. He has tons of job security (and will likely get a big fat extension after this season is done) and the team's success likely makes them a more attractive option for higher end recruits, especially in the Chicago area. It ain't like Illinois is a really attractive program at the moment. If Collins can merely recruit the Chicago area well, he's going to be a NCAA level team every year.

Plus, Northwestern has almost everybody coming back next year (they lose 2 seniors, both of whom contribute, but neither of whom are among the top few players on the team). I fully expect the Wildcats to be a trendy pick to be around the top of the Big Ten next season.

-Jason "really rooting for him to build a power there! My niece is a freshman at NW and she loves basketball" Evans

Bay Area Duke Fan
03-17-2017, 06:50 PM
i bet he is quite happy at nw. He has tons of job security (and will likely get a big fat extension after this season is done) and the team's success likely makes them a more attractive option for higher end recruits, especially in the chicago area. It ain't like Illinois is a really attractive program at the moment. If collins can merely recruit the chicago area well, he's going to be a ncaa level team every year.

Plus, northwestern has almost everybody coming back next year (they lose 2 seniors, both of whom contribute, but neither of whom are among the top few players on the team). I fully expect the wildcats to be a trendy pick to be around the top of the big ten next season.

-jason "really rooting for him to build a power there! My niece is a freshman at nw and she loves basketball" evans

Indiana ???

NashvilleDevil
03-17-2017, 07:00 PM
Indiana ???

No Illinois for the Chicago recruits.

superdave
03-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Is Tom Crean rumoured to be going anywhere?

State did well to get Keatts locked down early.

PackMan97
03-18-2017, 11:10 AM
Yes, there are a lot of similarity between State and Indiana. No offense taken. I think they are on the same level the biggest difference is B1G vs ACC and East Coast vs Midwest. They are the place an ambitious young coach can win at and be beloved for 30 years or lose at and be run out of town in short order.

arnie
03-18-2017, 01:40 PM
Yes, there are a lot of similarity between State and Indiana. No offense taken. I think they are on the same level the biggest difference is B1G vs ACC and East Coast vs Midwest. They are the place an ambitious young coach can win at and be beloved for 30 years or lose at and be run out of town in short order.

Certainly a lot of similarity in State/Indy jersey colors.

But Indiana has had some recent success - the Pack hasn't won either an ACC regular season or tourney championship in 30 years. There's no longer national recognition for the Pack. Would think Pack fans give the new coach a lot more time, particularly if his teams play hard and keep it competitive in tough games.

Indiana, on the other hand, is THE team in a large state wth large media following and huge expectations.

PackMan97
03-18-2017, 03:29 PM
Certainly a lot of similarity in State/Indy jersey colors.

But Indiana has had some recent success - the Pack hasn't won either an ACC regular season or tourney championship in 30 years. There's no longer national recognition for the Pack. Would think Pack fans give the new coach a lot more time, particularly if his teams play hard and keep it competitive in tough games.

Indiana, on the other hand, is THE team in a large state wth large media following and huge expectations.

The best thing that could happen to Keatts is for Doren and the football team to have some success and take the heat off for a bit.

SCMatt33
03-18-2017, 04:24 PM
Illinois has hired Brad Underwood away from OSU after just one year there. Notably, Underwood only made $1 Million in his first year and was only scheduled to make $1.1 next year at OSU. Presumably, he'll be getting a nice raise.

Reilly
03-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Illinois has hired Brad Underwood away from OSU after just one year there. Notably, Underwood only made $1 Million in his first year and was only scheduled to make $1.1 next year at OSU. Presumably, he'll be getting a nice raise.

So that's Oklahoma State OSU not Ohio State OSU or Oregon State OSU.

brevity
03-18-2017, 04:44 PM

Link from Sports Illustrated (https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/college-basketball/2017/03/18/brad-underwood-illinois-basketball-head-coach-oklahoma-state%3Fsource%3Ddam).

Maybe Illinois wanted him last year or something. It's weird from both sides.

Illinois: "We really liked how your team lost to Michigan."
Oklahoma State: "We have a lot of money for athletics, but not for you."

Atlanta Duke
03-18-2017, 07:49 PM

6 years for $3 million per year

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18944037/illinois-fighting-illini-hire-brad-underwood-oklahoma-state-cowboys-next-coach

I think Indiana opening up has lower tier programs such as NC State and Illinois moving quickly to lock down a new hire

Olympic Fan
03-18-2017, 09:49 PM
Is Tom Crean rumoured to be going anywhere?

I mentioned in another thread, the hot rumor has LSU pursuing him hard. Another Joe Alleva masterstroke.

Jim3k
03-19-2017, 01:21 AM
And in the Bay area, the CBS affiliate talkers are already predicting that Randy Bennett will move 8 miles through the Caldecott Tunnel from Saint Mary's to Cal-Berkeley to take the vacancy left by Cuanzo Martin.

Not exactly sure that Bennett will do that, but it is not out of the question. If it was any other location, Bennett would not be tempted, even by the money. For Cal, though, he wouldn't have to uproot his family.

Atlanta Duke
03-19-2017, 09:52 AM
Oh my

As for who will take the Oklahoma State opening, apparently you shouldn’t be sleeping on Doug Gottlieb, who played for the Cowboys before beginning his career as a broadcaster.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/18/brad-underwood-to-take-illinois-job-after-one-and-done-year-at-oklahoma-state/?utm_term=.ce21b80f5d66

superdave
03-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Oh my

As for who will take the Oklahoma State opening, apparently you shouldn’t be sleeping on Doug Gottlieb, who played for the Cowboys before beginning his career as a broadcaster.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/early-lead/wp/2017/03/18/brad-underwood-to-take-illinois-job-after-one-and-done-year-at-oklahoma-state/?utm_term=.ce21b80f5d66

Who?

gocanes0506
03-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Where is Collins going? Indiana?

diablesseblu
03-19-2017, 10:39 AM
Where is Collins going? Indiana?

I surely hope he stays at Northwestern. He's got a great gig going there. If I'm him, there's no way I want to deal with the Indiana fan base.

grounds0405
03-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Oh my

Wait a minute! I thought alarmingly inept Doug Gottlieb started (racking up fraudulent credit card debt) at Notre Dame...

TruBlu
03-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Oh my

Doug has alarmingly little coaching ability/experience.

FadedTackyShirt
03-19-2017, 11:07 AM
I surely hope he stays at Northwestern. He's got a great gig going there. If I'm him, there's no way I want to deal with the Indiana fan base.

Chris now has a very good situation at Northwestern. Facilities bells and whistles on their way and can continue to build his own program.

Has to be considered the frontrunner to replace K now, but a legacy coach at Northwestern is far from a bad gig.

hallcity
03-19-2017, 11:41 AM
There's a report out that Mike Hopkins, who had been the heir apparent at Syracuse, has accepted the head coach job at Washington. Boeheim will probably step down after this next season leaving a big hole to fill.

OldPhiKap
03-19-2017, 11:43 AM
There's a report out that Mike Hopkins, who had been the heir apparent at Syracuse, has accepted the head coach job at Washington. Boeheim will probably step down after this next season leaving a big hole to fill.

That would be a huge blow to the Orangemen. Too bad.

Reilly
03-19-2017, 12:01 PM
Doug has alarmingly little coaching ability/experience.

And yet, he'd probably be way better at coaching than he is at his radio gig, based on what I've heard. And that says nothing about his ability to coach, which may be nonexistent.

JasonEvans
03-19-2017, 12:06 PM

I would see this as a sign that Jim B wants to coach a few more years and Hopkins is getting training at UDub. When Boeheim steps aside, Hopkins will be even more prepared for the job.

Hopkins has been an assistant at Syracuse for 20 years and was a player there for 4 years before that... when they call, he will come running, I suspect.

Reilly
03-19-2017, 12:08 PM
There's a report out that Mike Hopkins, who had been the heir apparent at Syracuse, has accepted the head coach job at Washington ...

So it'd be fair to say that Hopkins thinks that there is value in getting away from Syracuse and Boeheim? Will Syracuse be able to find someone who can induce slander lawsuits, be suspended and have wins vacated, and produce second-round NIT exits, all with pursed lips and a snarl? It's a tough record to replicate.

brevity
03-19-2017, 12:18 PM

Link (https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/college-basketball/2017/03/19/washington-mike-hopkins-coach-syracuse%3Fsource%3Ddam) from Sports Illustrated.

Not hard to speculate on the behind-the-scenes drama. Jim Boeheim may be sacrificing Syracuse's future to remain part of its present. Mike Hopkins may be tired of waiting. The timing of this makes it seem like a departure without a blessing.

sagegrouse
03-19-2017, 12:38 PM
Link (https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/si/college-basketball/2017/03/19/washington-mike-hopkins-coach-syracuse%3Fsource%3Ddam) from Sports Illustrated.

Not hard to speculate on the behind-the-scenes drama. Jim Boeheim may be sacrificing Syracuse's future to remain part of its present. Mike Hopkins may be tired of waiting. The timing of this makes it seem like a departure without a blessing.

We'll see, but I doubt that Hopkins will come running back to Syracuse when Boeheim actually retires. This seems like a "break for freedom."

Indoor66
03-19-2017, 01:19 PM
We'll see, but I doubt that Hopkins will come running back to Syracuse when Boeheim actually retires. This seems like a "break for freedom."

Boeheim always has struck me as a legend without a cause.

devildeac
03-19-2017, 01:41 PM

"We'll always have Greensboro."

Or something like that. :rolleyes:

devildeac
03-19-2017, 01:43 PM
So it'd be fair to say that Hopkins thinks that there is value in getting away from Syracuse and Boeheim? Will Syracuse be able to find someone who can induce slander lawsuits, be suspended and have wins vacated, and produce second-round NIT exits, all with pursed lips and a snarl? It's a tough record to replicate.

Is larry brown available?

;)

devildeac
03-19-2017, 01:46 PM
Or perhaps Jimmy B holding out until the ACCT returns to Greensboro in 2020...

slower
03-19-2017, 01:47 PM
Chris now has a very good situation at Northwestern. Facilities bells and whistles on their way and can continue to build his own program.

Has to be considered the frontrunner to replace K now...

Actually, no he doesn't. Capel would have to still be considered, it would seem.

-bdbd
03-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Has to be considered the frontrunner to replace K now, but a legacy coach at Northwestern is far from a bad gig.

Nope. I have spoken to a very good source that "it is all but set to be Capel."

CameronBornAndBred
03-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Actually, no he doesn't. Capel would have to still be considered, it would seem.

Nope. I have spoken to a very good source that "it is all but set to be Capel."
This annual offseason thread is but only a few mere weeks away...be patient.

Atlanta Duke
03-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Harsh analysis of the Syracuse situation by Pete Thamel at SI.com

What’s about to unfold at Syracuse is a fascinating face-off of administrative ethics and a Hall of Fame coach’s power...

Going through with the university’s exit timeline is thorny without Hopkins, as there’s no logical replacement with Syracuse ties. Try putting together a list for that job. It’s not easy. There are no names that immediately come to mind. Following Boeheim and living in central New York aren’t huge draws for hot young coaches.

http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/19/mike-hopkins-washington-syracuse-jim-boeheim

Trying to get an aging legend to go who does not want to leave can get ugly if the coach has big donors in his corner and the program is uncertain it can fill the seats with his replacement

CameronBornAndBred
03-19-2017, 05:33 PM
Trying to get an aging legend to go who does not want to leave can get ugly if the coach has big donors in his corner and the program is uncertain it can fill the seats with his replacement
Well, if they didn't play basketball in a football stadium...

BD80
03-19-2017, 07:44 PM

Purdue, Butler and Notre Dame say "Hi."

Apparently, there are rumors floating that Alford will return to IU. It was joked about on Sportscenter this morning.

SoCalDukeFan
03-19-2017, 08:36 PM
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18953809/syracuse-orange-extend-men-basketball-coach-jim-boeheim-2017-18
(http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18953809/syracuse-orange-extend-men-basketball-coach-jim-boeheim-2017-18)

Surprising no one.

SoCal

DangerDevil
03-19-2017, 09:01 PM
http://www.theadvocate.com/baton_rouge/sports/lsu/article_e23b1ada-0ccf-11e7-8fbc-570ff2e9bac0.html

VCU's Will Wade emerging as a front runner for the LSU job per the Baton Rouge Advocate, article also says LSU interested in Crean but doesn't provide much elaboration.

I would say Wade has done well at VCU and is a decent up and comer of a young coach but if this becomes reality I would call this another disappointing hire led by our old buddy Joe Alleva.

CameronBornAndBred
03-20-2017, 04:40 PM
I stand corrected. That thing can fire up any day now.

brevity
03-20-2017, 05:01 PM

I stand corrected. That thing can fire up any day now.

Yeah, but let's restrict this thread to the actual coaching carousel (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18846025/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-which-head-coaches-coming-2017) for this offseason, with reasonable digressions into coaches currently on the hot seat. (Speaking of, Clemson is retaining (http://www.tigernet.com/story/basketball/The-Brad-Brownell-era-continue-Clemson-15724) Brad Brownell.)

Call it a pet peeve. I live in the present, and this forum is for people who prefer to live in the past or live in the future.

devildeac
03-20-2017, 05:08 PM
Yeah, but let's restrict this thread to the actual coaching carousel (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18846025/college-basketball-coaching-carousel-which-head-coaches-coming-2017) for this offseason, with reasonable digressions into coaches currently on the hot seat. (Speaking of, Clemson is retaining (http://www.tigernet.com/story/basketball/The-Brad-Brownell-era-continue-Clemson-15724) Brad Brownell.)

Call it a pet peeve. I live in the present, and this forum is for people who prefer to live in the past or live in the future.

Does this qualify?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Future_Passed

;)

CrazyNotCrazie
03-20-2017, 05:22 PM

I also think Hopkins is gone for good. And one would think that Washington put a big buyout in his contract to make sure he doesn't bolt back if Boeheim leaves in the near future.

With Hopkins' departure, Syracuse promoted Adrian Autry to associate head coach - he has been there for about 7 years. I don't know if this means "new coach in waiting" or not.

ChillinDuke
03-20-2017, 05:41 PM
I also think Hopkins is gone for good. And one would think that Washington put a big buyout in his contract to make sure he doesn't bolt back if Boeheim leaves in the near future.

With Hopkins' departure, Syracuse promoted Adrian Autry to associate head coach - he has been there for about 7 years. I don't know if this means "new coach in waiting" or not.

Wow, the Jim Boeheim story is very interesting. I had no idea there was that power struggle going on in Syracuse over his transition (at least that's certainly how SI makes it sound). Didn't something similar happen with Jim Calhoun at UConn?

- Chillin

devildeac
03-20-2017, 05:44 PM
Wow, the Jim Boeheim story is very interesting. I had no idea there was that power struggle going on in Syracuse over his transition (at least that's certainly how SI makes it sound). Didn't something similar happen with Jim Calhoun at UConn?

- Chillin

You might be correct. I'll check on my laptop when I get home tonight. ASSuming I can locate it...

BandAlum83
03-20-2017, 05:47 PM

Does that mean we can go Back to the Future without ever being in the present?

A good friend of mine would often say "There is no future in the past." If so, I" am really confused now.

OldPhiKap
03-20-2017, 06:08 PM

A good friend of mine would often say "There is no future in the past." If so, I" am really confused now.

René Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "hey, do you want a beer?" Descartes replies "I think not" -- and disappears.

chriso
03-20-2017, 06:22 PM
You might be correct. I'll check on my laptop when I get home tonight. ASSuming I can locate it...

I don't think the Syracuse job is a good job. Like Boeheim or not, he's won there for 30 plus years. That's going to be a tough act to follow. And as someone who used to live in that area, getting people to live there in the winter is no small feat. Brrr.:cool:

SoCalDukeFan
03-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Did UDub hire Hopkins without any input from JB?

Did JB push Hopkins on UDub?

Did JB tell Hopkins "I ain't leaving next year" so Hopkins bolted.

SoCal

chriso
03-20-2017, 11:54 PM

SoCal

I'm guessing Boeheim wants to stick around a few years and Hopkins is tired of waiting. If Hopkins can't keep Porter Jr. it will be some tough sledding. (Bad joke) :)

Indoor66
03-21-2017, 07:56 AM

SoCal

Being the flippant soul that I am, "Who Cares?"

Spanarkel
03-21-2017, 08:04 AM

"No Future In The Past"

I lie here tonight in the darkness
I've never felt so alone
Tomorrow I'll wake up still lonesome
'Cause things haven't changed since you've gone

You walked out with angry words spoken
You're leavin' cut right to the bone
I'll pick up the pieces you have broken
Find the strength to go on

I still remember
How my love once held her
How long do old memories last
Why can't I forget it
Why can't I admit it
There ain't no future in the past

I still remember
How my love once held her
How long do old memories last
Why can't I forget it
Why can't I admit it
There ain't no future in the past

-Vince Gill

OldPhiKap
03-21-2017, 08:21 AM
"We are living in the future
I'll tell you how I know
I read it in the paper
Fifteen years ago
We're all driving rocket ships
And talking with our minds
And wearing turquoise jewelry
And standing in soup lines
We are standing in soup lines"

-- John Prine

RPS
03-21-2017, 06:30 PM
Dennis Gates (http://www.seminoles.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209573179) of Florida State is apparently in the mix for the Cal job. We know he's a great recruiter, was a stand-up guy in the Grayson mess, was a great student while a player and is a Cal alum. His brother is on CC's staff at Northwestern. It sounds like a good fit and I'd rather we didn't have him him recruiting for the Seminoles.

FadedTackyShirt
03-21-2017, 07:39 PM
Gates is the sentimental favorite in Berkeley, but UC Irvine coach Russell Turner (ex Stanford and Wake asst) is considered the favorite.

Allegedly Gates may end up as Cal associate HC if Arizona asst Josh Pasternak gets the job. Pasternak is a former Cal asst and has some donors who will build a dedicated hoops practice facility if he gets the job.

Counzo's Mizzou deal is bad for college hoops-$21M for 7 years with a $7M buyout that automatically extends once he wins 20 games or gets to the Dance. Shades of Hewitt's contract that handcuffed GT.

Cuonzo's a good recruiter, but a mediocre coach. Can only imagine what kind of deal Brad Stevens would get if he suddenly decided to return to college now.

RPS
03-21-2017, 09:58 PM
Gates is the sentimental favorite in Berkeley, but UC Irvine coach Russell Turner (ex Stanford and Wake asst) is considered the favorite.
I'd be surprised if he got it, but who knows...?

Counzo's Mizzou deal is bad for college hoops-$21M for 7 years with a $7M buyout that automatically extends once he wins 20 games or gets to the Dance. Shades of Hewitt's contract that handcuffed GT.
When the talent is essentially free, coaches can much more easily be overpaid.

Reilly
03-21-2017, 11:56 PM
"We are living in the future
I'll tell you how I know
I read it in the paper
Fifteen years ago
We're all driving rocket ships
And talking with our minds
And wearing turquoise jewelry
And standing in soup lines
We are standing in soup lines"

-- John Prine

"Free lunch tomorrow."

-- Sign in local diner

Jim3k
03-22-2017, 01:35 AM

Allegedly Gates may end up as Cal associate HC if Arizona asst Josh Pasternak gets the job. Pasternak is a former Cal asst and has some donors who will build a dedicated hoops practice facility if he gets the job.

Cuonzo's a good recruiter, but a mediocre coach. Can only imagine what kind of deal Brad Stevens would get if he suddenly decided to return to college now.

Joe Pasternack's bio can be found here at the UofA coaching page (http://www.arizonawildcats.com/coaches.aspx?rc=551&path=mbball).

accfanfrom1970
03-22-2017, 04:13 AM
VCU didn't take long to replace Will Wade , Mike
Rhodes. Former VCU assistant and most recently head coach at Rice.

PackMan97
03-22-2017, 08:50 AM

IIRC, VCU has a "leadership" program they run for assistant coaches in the off-season. Their goal is to identify the best assistants and target them for hiring when they lose their current coach. They've tried to set themselves up as a stepping stone job so they best coaches will WANT to work there for a few years and it will all build itself into a stable program, although not in the P5 sense. It's pretty creative solution to the problems of a mid-major.

You either have to find some guy like Marshall who likes being the biggest fish in a small pond, or find the guys who are growing the quickest and show them you are a good stop on the way up. That's what VCU has done.

sagegrouse
03-22-2017, 08:51 AM

From Wiki, which I suspect has the correct spelling. Michael David Rhoades (born September 21, 1972) is the head coach of the Virginia Commonwealth University men's basketball team.

Rhoades was associate head coach to Shaka Smart, having done well as head coach at Randolph Macon in Division III. He accepted the Rice job before Smart left for Texas. Rice has done well under Rhoades' leadership, finishing 23-12 this season.

TKG
03-22-2017, 09:00 AM
René Descartes walks into a bar. The bartender says, "hey, do you want a beer?" Descartes replies "I think not" -- and disappears.

Rene Descartes was a drunken fart. I drink therefore I am......

OldPhiKap
03-22-2017, 09:22 AM
Rene Descartes was a drunken fart. I drink therefore I am...

Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

BD80
03-22-2017, 12:32 PM
Socrates, himself, was permanently pissed.

Drink did do him in

English
03-23-2017, 01:47 PM
Georgetown finally decided that an ongoing homage to it's greatest coach wasn't worth all the losing. John Thompson III has been, um, let go.

Rumors swirling among my GTown colleagues that Tommy Amaker's name is at or near the top of the replacement list.

FadedTackyShirt
03-23-2017, 02:24 PM
Amaker or JD would be safer picks, but Hurley might be a better long term play.

ASU can admit anyone with a pulse, but Hurley still can't get enough recruits to play his preferred style (see: early '90s Duke).

Boatloads of tough blue collar Catholic school recruits from DC to Boston. Sendek was a bad fit at both NCSU and ASU and Hurley would be a better fit at GT than at ASU.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-23-2017, 02:28 PM
Georgetown finally decided that an ongoing homage to it's greatest coach wasn't worth all the losing. John Thompson III has been, um, let go.

Rumors swirling among my GTown colleagues that Tommy Amaker's name is at or near the top of the replacement list.

Georgetown alums are tired of being irrelevant, and it has been particularly frustrating given Villanova's success (last weekend excluded). Amaker is the big name here, as well as Ewing, who I've heard is very well respected as a coach, though he is very far removed from college, recruiting, etc. But what I would give to see Ewing coaching against Mullin! Georgetown has a lot of history, fertile recruiting ground that Tommy is very familiar with, and a new practice facility. But that also means a lot of pressure and I don't think they have a lot of talent on their current roster.

TKG
03-23-2017, 02:45 PM
Georgetown alums are tired of being irrelevant, and it has been particularly frustrating given Villanova's success (last weekend excluded). Amaker is the big name here, as well as Ewing, who I've heard is very well respected as a coach, though he is very far removed from college, recruiting, etc. But what I would give to see Ewing coaching against Mullin! Georgetown has a lot of history, fertile recruiting ground that Tommy is very familiar with, and a new practice facility. But that also means a lot of pressure and I don't think they have a lot of talent on their current roster.

Well, if Big JT has his say (like his did with G'town's last two coaching hires) you can bet Ewing will be the next coach. It will be interesting to see just how far Georgetown is willing to distance itself from Mr. Hoya Paranoia's legacy.

kako
03-23-2017, 02:50 PM

I'm hoping Amaker stays put at Harvard until K retires. I'm all for him taking over the reins at that time. He can shown he can recruit, coach, win and deal with academic restrictions. That being said, Amaker is a DC native...

CrazyNotCrazie
03-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Well, if Big JT has his say (like his did with G'town's last two coaching hires) you can bet Ewing will be the next coach. It will be interesting to see just how far Georgetown is willing to distance itself from Mr. Hoya Paranoia's legacy.

The alums I know and I think they should run far, far away from Thompson. But they also just opened a new John Thompson athletic facility that was largely financed by alums (including Ewing) who are extremely loyal to him. So he will likely have a seat at the table. Both Hurleys could also be good fits, though Danny is probably a hotter commodity right now. And Brey has great ties to the area but is unlikely to move at this point in his career.

duke79
03-23-2017, 03:12 PM
I'm hoping Amaker stays put at Harvard until K retires. I'm all for him taking over the reins at that time. He can shown he can recruit, coach, win and deal with academic restrictions. That being said, Amaker is a DC native...

Yea, I have no clue what might be going on in Tommy Amaker's head, but I'm not sure I would leave Harvard for Georgetown. I don't know what Harvard is paying him (and his wife) but I'm guessing he has a pretty sweet deal without a huge amount of pressure from the alumni if he has an off season or two. And after getting canned from Michigan, I would bet he is not too eager to get back into that type of high pressure setting again, unless one of the premier jobs opened up for him. I think Georgetown is too far past their prime to be a quick turn around to the top echelon of college hoops. My guess is that if JT III can't do it, I'm not sure Tommy Amaker could make it happen either (and does he want to be fired 4 or 5 years down the road?).

FadedTackyShirt
03-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Are Amaker and JD still truly in the K sweepstakes mix? Both great guys, but pretty solid data points that they couldn't get it done at solid schools in P5 conferences.

Hoping K coaches (at least) another 5 years, but if the decision were made today, Capel and Collins would be in the conversation. If there's a longer lead up, would like to see what Hurley could do at Georgetown and Wojo at Marquette.

kako
03-23-2017, 03:55 PM
Are Amaker and JD still truly in the K sweepstakes mix? Both great guys, but pretty solid data points that they couldn't get it done at solid schools in P5 conferences.

Hoping K coaches (at least) another 5 years, but if the decision were made today, Capel and Collins would be in the conversation. If there's a longer lead up, would like to see what Hurley could do at Georgetown and Wojo at Marquette.

I think Amaker learned some lessons and found a formula to win. Remember Harvard last appeared in the tourney in the 40s before Amaker took them back there. Let's see what Collins does as an encore. Hurley has zero academic restrictions at ASU, and IMO he still needs to win tourney games (like Wojo). Capel is in the mix, but his performance as head coach this year didn't get him to the top of the pile. He's not out yet, but he didn't distance himself either.

As far as JD, he didn't get it done at Stanford. If he gets the job done at UCF and gets back to the tourney and wins for a while, maybe he moves back in the conversation. But of the two, my support would definitely go Amaker's way at this point.

However, when speaking of JD, you can't see this clip too much. For those of you that don't know, this was Johnny Dawkins/Johnny Dawkins Rock Me Johnny Dawkins dunking on Navy in the Elite 8, 1986...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcHmXQUnrk

RPS
03-23-2017, 05:18 PM
For those of you that don't know, this was Johnny Dawkins/Johnny Dawkins Rock Me Johnny Dawkins dunking on Navy in the Elite 8, 1986...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKcHmXQUnrk
Right after this dunk, all Duke fans stood and chanted, "Abandon ship! Abandon ship!"

Very good memories (and boy was the Admiral great).

foolishpride
03-23-2017, 07:08 PM
Pat Kelsey takes the UMass job,yesterday, and changes his mind today to stay at Winthrop. But there's rumblings about him taking the Xavier job, and Chris Mack will take the Indiana job.

-bdbd
03-23-2017, 07:21 PM
Confirmed. John Thompson III has been released by Georgetown. Let the hunt begin...
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/?nid=top_nav_sports&utm_term=.1b57fcbf535b

Living in DC, I would LOVE to see Amaker here. Certainly up a basketball level or two from Harvard, and this is where he grew up (northern VA I recall). We'll see how wedded to Cambridge they are, as I know his wife enjoys being a part of the Harvard Administration.

sagegrouse
03-23-2017, 07:39 PM

Sometimes it is not so much losing games as losing money. I wonder if anybody is going to Georgetown games any more?

-bdbd
03-23-2017, 07:48 PM
Sometimes it is not so much losing games as losing money. I wonder if anybody is going to Georgetown games any more?

They still play in the HUGE Verizon Center, so it actually looks worse than it really is. But, yes, attendance was pretty dismal this season.

-bdbd
03-23-2017, 07:57 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/23/pat-kelsey-turns-down-massachusetts-winthrop/99550526/

Winthrop's Kelsey accepts, then rejects the U-Mass offer... How embarrassing is that!??

brevity
03-23-2017, 08:08 PM
Pat Kelsey takes the UMass job,yesterday, and changes his mind today to stay at Winthrop.

What is it about Winthrop? Gregg Marshall did the same thing in 2006, leaving Winthrop for Charleston before changing his mind (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2006/06/30/nca_87215.shtml#.WNRiovs8KgE). (He went to Wichita State a year later.)

summerwind03
03-23-2017, 08:20 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/23/pat-kelsey-turns-down-massachusetts-winthrop/99550526/

Winthrop's Kelsey accepts, then rejects the U-Mass offer... How embarrassing is that!??

I feel like this happens fairly often, though it is very odd to me!

FadedTackyShirt
03-23-2017, 08:23 PM
What is it about Winthrop? Gregg Marshall did the same thing in 2006, leaving Winthrop for Charleston before changing his mind (http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/2006/06/30/nca_87215.shtml#.WNRiovs8KgE). (He went to Wichita State a year later.)

South Carolina's been hosing America for 150+ years: Fort Sumter-1861, USC bailing on the ACC in 1971, and Greenville allowing Hole vermin to invade last week...

lotusland
03-24-2017, 06:54 AM
South Carolina's been hosing America for 150+ years: Fort Sumter-1861, USC bailing on the ACC in 1971, and Greenville allowing Hole vermin to invade last week...

Ouch from the Palmetto state!

lotusland
03-24-2017, 07:03 AM
Btw Bobby Cremins started head coach reneging cycle in SC by accepting the HBC job at USC, his alma mater, only to get cold feet and return to GT 3 days later.
Cremins completed the cycle by taking the College of Chas job after Greg Marshall abandoned them.

devildeac
03-24-2017, 07:19 AM

Ouch from the Palmetto state!

You forgot this swill/atrocity:

lotusland
03-24-2017, 07:34 AM
Cmon DD you gotta love some SC beef hash on rice man - that's good stuff!

chriso
03-24-2017, 09:02 AM
I would see this as a sign that Jim B wants to coach a few more years and Hopkins is getting training at UDub. When Boeheim steps aside, Hopkins will be even more prepared for the job.

Hopkins has been an assistant at Syracuse for 20 years and was a player there for 4 years before that... when they call, he will come running, I suspect.
I live in the Seattle area and the Seattle media is quite enthralled with Hopkins. Porter Jr. has said Hopkins hasn't reached out to him yet but I think he is following his father to Missouri. The thought around here is Hopkins is creating a winning culture, so even if that means letting players go who don't want to be here it will be worth it in the long run. Personally I think it is a great hire. Romar was great, but clearly lost his way the last few years. Sometimes change is good for all involved. And Romar could be a good hire elsewhere.

sagegrouse
03-24-2017, 09:06 AM

Offset a fair amount by shrimp and grits, which I have been eating since the 1940's.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 09:17 AM

Well, the reason it was in South Carolina was because of something the legislature in the Old North State did. Can't blame the Palmetto Bugs for that.

Mustard on BBQ, though, is as much an abomination against nature as is creamy peanut butter. Maybe even worse.

Reilly
03-24-2017, 09:26 AM
... as much an abomination against nature as is creamy peanut butter ...

Folks are in an angry, disbelieving state post-South Carolina game, and on edge with NBA and transfer decisions, and now you're introducing creamy peanut butter to that volatile mix? I see this thread being locked in 3, 2, 1 ...

FadedTackyShirt
03-24-2017, 09:44 AM
I live in the Seattle area and the Seattle media is quite enthralled with Hopkins. Porter Jr. has said Hopkins hasn't reached out to him yet but I think he is following his father to Missouri. The thought around here is Hopkins is creating a winning culture, so even if that means letting players go who don't want to be here it will be worth it in the long run. Personally I think it is a great hire. Romar was great, but clearly lost his way the last few years. Sometimes change is good for all involved. And Romar could be a good hire elsewhere.

Reading between the lines, the Boeheim drama at SU must have been much worse than imagined for Hopkins to bail. Jimmy B's a lame duck and that hurts his recruiting. His successor will be left with an empty cupboard when Boeheim finally goes out with a whimper.

Hopkins definitely will have a baptism of fire. Huskies were crappy this season and will be worse now without Porter and Dickerson. If he survives the first few years and rights the ship, he'll be a hot commodity. Tough lift.

FadedTackyShirt
03-24-2017, 09:53 AM
Mustard on BBQ, though, is as much an abomination against nature as is creamy peanut butter. Maybe even worse.

BBQ purists need to amass an arsenal of explosives from the fireworks stands on every corner in SC and blow up those heinous mustard mills.

The peach water tower in Gaffney is the only saving grace. Zion Williamson best not be too enchanted by that...

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 09:58 AM
BBQ purists need to amass an arsenal of explosives from the fireworks stands on every corner in SC and blow up those heinous mustard mills.

The peach water tower in Gaffney is the only saving grace. Zion Williamson best not be too enchanted by that...

SC has wonderful beaches and a beautiful upstate. Charleston is one of my favorite spots on the East Coast. Columbia around the USC campus is pretty happening. Clemson is beautiful. Low Country Boils and shrimp-n-grits are fantastic. Hilton Head, though crowded, is a great getaway. Greenville is a hidden gem.

SC has a lot going for it. Mustard sauce ain't one of them though.

devildeac
03-24-2017, 10:18 AM
Cmon DD you gotta love some SC beef hash on rice man - that's good stuff!

Send me a pint and I'll get back to you. ;)

English
03-24-2017, 10:22 AM

Oh Sage, those two are certainly not mutually exclusive, and GTown has shown itself to be a fanbase of fairweather fans. I live in DC and have gone to a few decent BEast games in the Verizon Center over the past few seasons because I enjoy live basketball at all levels. The crowds coming to see their Hoyas is abysmal, and the game atmosphere is sleepy and distracted.

It was not like this when the Hoyas were competitive. As an anecdotal support (perhaps at the extreme, but not outlandish), during the 2010 season, GTown played Duke & Villanova on consecutive weekends--one of which was during Snowmageddon--and GTown sold out both in winning efforts. They can't even fill the lower bowl in the Verizon Center these days.

English
03-24-2017, 10:37 AM
I'm hearing rumblings that Georgetown has at least made some gestures toward Andy Enfield (currently at USoCal) as a potential replacement, in addition to our boy Tommy Amaker. Unclear on the level of mutual interest. Either would be a grand leap forward from where JTIII has the team currently.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-24-2017, 10:40 AM
SC has wonderful beaches and a beautiful upstate. Charleston is one of my favorite spots on the East Coast. Columbia around the USC campus is pretty happening. Clemson is beautiful. Low Country Boils and shrimp-n-grits are fantastic. Hilton Head, though crowded, is a great getaway. Greenville is a hidden gem.

SC has a lot going for it. Mustard sauce ain't one of them though.

.... (likes mustard sauce... in moderation)

*ducks*

brevity
03-24-2017, 10:44 AM
I'm hearing rumblings that Georgetown has at least made some gestures toward Andy Enfield (currently at USoCal) as a potential replacement, in addition to our boy Tommy Amaker. Unclear on the level of mutual interest. Either would be a grand leap forward from where JTIII has the team currently.

Andy Enfield? Why? The best thing on his resume is the one thing Georgetown doesn't need: he knows how to beat Georgetown.

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 10:51 AM
... (likes mustard sauce... in moderation)

*ducks*

Man. First, Duke loses. Now this.

My faith in mankind is seriously shaken right now.

FadedTackyShirt
03-24-2017, 10:53 AM

Enfield does have a smoking wife, but he only gets his third choice of SoCal recruits, behind UCLA and 'Zona (and Oregon is making inroads too).

duke79
03-24-2017, 11:04 AM
Pat Kelsey takes the UMass job,yesterday, and changes his mind today to stay at Winthrop. But there's rumblings about him taking the Xavier job, and Chris Mack will take the Indiana job.

I live about an hour and 15 minutes from UMass and my local paper covers UMass athletics (to a degree). They had a big story about the new hire and the new coach, Pat Kelsey, was quoted extensively about how excited he was to be coming to UMass and what a great basketball tradition they had. LOL. So, I'm not sure what caused him to change his mind? Maybe Winthrop sweetened his salary and package or he literally go cold feet when he realized that the climate sucks up here for a good part of the year?

sagegrouse
03-24-2017, 11:55 AM

As a one-time and long-time resident of the Palmetto State, let me offer a response in two parts: (a) South Carolina does use a mustard-based sauce on pork barbecue. (b) We absolutely do not care what anyone in North Carolina thinks about the subject.

Kindly,
Sage
'A one-part answer would be -- "Get a life"'

BandAlum83
03-24-2017, 12:04 PM
Enfield does have a smoking wife, but he only gets his third choice of SoCal recruits, behind UCLA and 'Zona (and Oregon is making inroads too).

Smoking isn't allowed in most public places any longer. Certainly not allowed in the arenas.

English
03-24-2017, 12:42 PM
Andy Enfield? Why? The best thing on his resume is the one thing Georgetown doesn't need: he knows how to beat Georgetown.

I got a chuckle out of this, and would've sporked but for the filter.

I will respond in two ways: 1) it wasn't my idea, so don't blame the messenger; 2) Enfield does have ties to the area, so while it may not make a lot of sense, it isn't completely senseless. He's acquitted himself fairly well in two suboptimal basketball coaching situations, so perhaps with the fertile DMV recruiting base, he could elevate his production even further. Why he would want to leave SoCal for the mid-Atlantic is another mind-bender, but again, I'm not in a position to answer that either.

That said, count me among the camp that would love to have Tommy in another P5 job...especially one I could closely follow.

SoCalDukeFan
03-24-2017, 12:59 PM

I think Enfield has done a great job at USC. If he can keep his underclassmen should have a very strong team next year. Its obviously tough for a football school to recruit against UCLA but I would not hold that against him.

SoCal

Nugget
03-24-2017, 01:55 PM
I think Enfield has done a great job at USC. If he can keep his underclassmen should have a very strong team next year. Its obviously tough for a football school to recruit against UCLA but I would not hold that against him.

SoCal

I don't think it is so much "holding it against him," but more recognizing that USC is a tough job to succeed at long term, given that the school doesn't really care about basketball (typically doesn't sell out a relatively small arena for UCLA and Arizona) and they are pretty much never going to beat UCLA and Arizona on recruits. Also, in some gross speculation, I'd bet that USC pays comparatively poorly for a major college job, particularly compared to the high cost of living in LA (I know DC is expensive, too). So, Enfield could reasonably see this as a good time to jump to a "basketball school" at which he has a strong chance to succeed, especially if Georgetown hits him with a big offer.

Lastly, while I agree with you that USC looks loaded for next year "if he can keep his underclassmen," he can't be wholly optimistic about doing so given what happened with the early entries off last year's team. I'd hope Boatwright and Metu make better decisions than the guys from last year who didn't even get drafted, but who knows.

lotusland
03-24-2017, 02:16 PM

The flag is down from the state house and South Carolina welcomes everyone. The Gaffney Peach welcomes visitors from the Northwest while Pedro welcomes our visitors from the Northeast and Bowman welcomes our visitors from the cosmos.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=946&bih=860&q=bowman%2C+sc+flying+saucer&oq=bowman%2C+sc+flying+saucer&gs_l=img.3...4570.20233.0.21924.29.17.0.11.0.0.269 .2475.0j12j3.15.0...0...1ac.1.64.img..3.14.2344.0. .0j0i10i24k1j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.64znf yXrDTQ#q=bowman,+sc+flying+saucer&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CTX3AdhpVXHVIjjK01H3aSooqlAHVT_1uu85R_1vs 9IeEuMPPt-ZCZGHCjSUCgtTk4GW83cyfMnJH7R-QAAusYCxSi-yoSCcrTUfdpKiiqEenJCUyr4kZ_1KhIJUAdVP-67zlERX2nCCGRj9iIqEgn--z0h4S4w8xE0osnIovry5CoSCe35kJkYcKNJEeMGpVStjQCXKhI JQKC1OTgZbzcRpYhrovtM99MqEglzJ8yckftH5BE_1jN2QoWFW AioSCQAC6xgLFKL7EQZSePmQ8Ac9&*&imgrc=m3HHgiqWKGRfAM:&spf=409

camion
03-24-2017, 02:21 PM
The flag is down from the state house and South Carolina welcomes everyone. The Gaffney Peach welcomes visitors from the Northwest while Pedro welcomes our visitors from the Northeast and Bowman welcomes our visitors from the cosmos.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=946&bih=860&q=bowman%2C+sc+flying+saucer&oq=bowman%2C+sc+flying+saucer&gs_l=img.3...4570.20233.0.21924.29.17.0.11.0.0.269 .2475.0j12j3.15.0...0...1ac.1.64.img..3.14.2344.0. .0j0i10i24k1j0i30k1j0i5i30k1j0i8i30k1j0i24k1.64znf yXrDTQ#q=bowman,+sc+flying+saucer&hl=en&tbm=isch&tbs=rimg:CTX3AdhpVXHVIjjK01H3aSooqlAHVT_1uu85R_1vs 9IeEuMPPt-ZCZGHCjSUCgtTk4GW83cyfMnJH7R-QAAusYCxSi-yoSCcrTUfdpKiiqEenJCUyr4kZ_1KhIJUAdVP-67zlERX2nCCGRj9iIqEgn--z0h4S4w8xE0osnIovry5CoSCe35kJkYcKNJEeMGpVStjQCXKhI JQKC1OTgZbzcRpYhrovtM99MqEglzJ8yckftH5BE_1jN2QoWFW AioSCQAC6xgLFKL7EQZSePmQ8Ac9&*&imgrc=m3HHgiqWKGRfAM:&spf=409

As luck would have it I traveled through Bowman earlier this year. There was a wreck on I-26 and the detour took me by the space ship. :eek:

FadedTackyShirt
03-24-2017, 02:25 PM
I don't think it is so much "holding it against him," but more recognizing that USC is a tough job to succeed at long term, given that the school doesn't really care about basketball (typically doesn't sell out a relatively small arena for UCLA and Arizona) and they are pretty much never going to beat UCLA and Arizona on recruits. Also, in some gross speculation, I'd bet that USC pays comparatively poorly for a major college job, particularly compared to the high cost of living in LA (I know DC is expensive, too). So, Enfield could reasonably see this as a good time to jump to a "basketball school" at which he has a strong chance to succeed, especially if Georgetown hits him with a big offer.

Exactly. Enfield's a Hopkins grad, so he'd be confortable at Georgetown. Sendek was a bad fit at both NCSU and ASU. 'SC's a better fit for AE than FGCU, but GU's even better.

'SC's been a hoops afterthought in LA for 50 years and now 'Zona and UO are additional recruiting threats too.

Think both Hurleys or Amaker would be better (for GU and the K sweepstakes), but could see GU as a better situation for AE than 'SC. Shaka could be a wild card.

lotusland
03-24-2017, 02:34 PM
As luck would have it I traveled through Bowman earlier this year. There was a wreck on I-26 and the detour took me by the space ship. :eek:

Bowman, now that's God's country. Gotta go to Hemingway or Holly Hill for some good Q tho.

FadedTackyShirt
03-24-2017, 02:44 PM

Sincere thanks on Bowman. My best friend lives in Wilmington and a few years ago, he tricked me into checking out the world's largest skillet in Rose Hill, NC on the way to a Duke game. Was expecting something the size of Jerry World and it was the size of a fourth rate merry go round. What a freaking gyp. Hope Bowman has as much game as the Peach Water Tower and South of the Border.

For the record, love Charleston and all the beaches South of there. Not big on Myrtle Beach putt putt. Shrimp & grits are right tasty, but still not as good as fish tacos.

sagegrouse
03-24-2017, 04:17 PM
Gottlieb apparently announced (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18994342/doug-gottlieb-says-no-longer-candidate-oklahoma-state-cowboys-coaching-vacancy) on his radio show that he is no longer in the running to be head coach with the Cowboys. Too bad. Stillwater's gain is our loss.

brevity
03-24-2017, 04:19 PM
Gottlieb apparently announced (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18994342/doug-gottlieb-says-no-longer-candidate-oklahoma-state-cowboys-coaching-vacancy) on his radio show that he is no longer in the running to be head coach with the Cowboys. Too bad. Stillwater's gain is our loss.

That's okay. He can try again when the job opens up next year.

weezie
03-24-2017, 04:30 PM
... Stillwater's gain is our loss.

Sniff, sighing through tears...just think of the lost laughs...

Olympic Fan
03-24-2017, 04:39 PM
Looks like Okie State just hired Underwood's assistant, Boynton:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18994792/oklahoma-state-hires-mike-boynton-jr-next-head-coach

OldPhiKap
03-24-2017, 04:41 PM

He'd be perfect for Syracuse, and then ol' Jimmy B. can retire like he wants to do.

Does he like Greensboro?

Doctor Joe
03-25-2017, 01:30 AM
Washington Post reports Brey and Amaker potential targets for Georgetown. Ok, might be a step up for Tommy if his wife wants to leave her job at Harvard. But Brey??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/03/24/tommy-amaker-mike-brey-shaka-smart-among-candidates-for-georgetown-basketball-coach/?utm_term=.10252f6ffdc8

SoCalDukeFan
03-25-2017, 11:11 AM
has promoted assistant WykingJones

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18994286/wyking-jones-named-cal-golden-bears-head-coach

SoCal

szstark
03-25-2017, 12:11 PM
Washington Post reports Brey and Amaker potential targets for Georgetown. Ok, might be a step up for Tommy if his wife wants to leave her job at Harvard. But Brey??

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/03/24/tommy-amaker-mike-brey-shaka-smart-among-candidates-for-georgetown-basketball-coach/?utm_term=.10252f6ffdc8

DC area is home for Brey. He might consider it.

rolm
03-25-2017, 12:32 PM
Whoever GTown chooses, I hope Duke renews it's series. It would be great to be able to see the Blue Devils play in the DC area again.

westwall
03-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Archie Miller to Indiana -- 7 years."

MCFinARL
03-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Yes, I think that would have to be the reason. Because he would seem to be sitting pretty in a very good job at Notre Dame.

brevity
03-25-2017, 02:01 PM
Archie Miller to Indiana -- 7 years."

Sporting News (http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/archie-miller-indiana-coach-contract-dayton-tom-crean/1lln61hhbj25v1bmszndqqddto) has the story but no details.

Miller replaces Tom Crean, who went 166-135 (.551) in nine seasons at Indiana, including an 18-16 record in 2016-17 before getting fired earlier this month. The Hoosiers had an interesting season, becoming the first team ever to defeat two No. 1 seeds in the regular season and not make the NCAA Tournament.

Olympic Fan
03-25-2017, 02:08 PM
ESPN confirms Miller to Indiana:

http://www.espn.com/

Reilly
03-25-2017, 10:32 PM

Here's a bit on Brey's Montgomery County ties (and those of his wife). I recall reading that Brey's dad used to be AD at Richard Montgomery H.S., which is the alma mater of Duke great Mike Curtis.

http://patch.com/maryland/rockville/notre-dame-coach-recalls-his-rockville-roots

Indoor66
03-26-2017, 07:39 AM
Here's a bit on Brey's Montgomery County ties (and those of his wife). I recall reading that Brey's dad used to be AD at Richard Montgomery H.S., which is the alma mater of Duke great Mike Curtis.

http://patch.com/maryland/rockville/notre-dame-coach-recalls-his-rockville-roots

As an aside, how many on this Board can identify Mike Curtis by sport, level or achievement and approximate years of activity and Pro team?

wsb3
03-26-2017, 07:48 AM
Not going to cheat & google...🏈..Colts & he was very good...I believe All Pro good. LB..but at Duke he played running back..

Also played in Super Bowls...The most famous one...Joe Willie Namath 16-7 Jets over Colts..

TruBlu
03-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Not going to cheat & google...🏈..Colts & he was very good...I believe All Pro good. LB..but at Duke he played running back..

Also played in Super Bowls...The most famous one...Joe Willie Namath 16-7 Jets over Colts..

At Duke, Mike played fullback on offense and linebacker on defense.

He was a teammate of Bob Matheson, who also was a running back on offense and linebacker on defense. Bob went on also to be All Pro at linebacker(I think), and even had a defensive scheme named after his number at Miami -- the "53" defense.

superdave
03-26-2017, 09:16 AM
At Duke, Mike played fullback on offense and linebacker on defense.

He was a teammate of Bob Matheson, who also was a running back on offense and linebacker on defense. Bob went on also to be All Pro at linebacker(I think), and even had a defensive scheme named after his number at Miami -- the "53" defense.

He also had a long successful career in commercial real estate here in DC.

FadedTackyShirt
03-26-2017, 09:29 AM
Curtis also put a schweeet hit on a fan on the field while playing for the Colts.

Indoor66
03-26-2017, 09:42 AM
Curtis also put a schweeet hit on a fan on the field while playing for the Colts.

The idiot ran out and tried to take HIS football! I saw it happen and watched many replays. A fine moment.

53n206
03-26-2017, 10:16 AM
As an aside, how many on this Board can identify Mike Curtis by sport, level or achievement and approximate years of activity and Pro team?

Football fullback; linebacker Baltimore Colts

FadedTackyShirt
03-26-2017, 10:39 AM
The idiot ran out and tried to take HIS football! I saw it happen and watched many replays. A fine moment.

Indeed! If they ever make a sequel to Diner, there has to be a question about Curtis cracking that chucklehead on an advanced Colts trivia test.

Speaking of Bawlmer, what year did the screamed O during the national anthem migrate South to CIS?

Olympic Fan
03-26-2017, 01:01 PM
Why talk about it -- when you can see it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdP2G7UtS9I

Curtis was a tough, tough SOB. In a game against UNC, he dislocated his shoulder during a goal line stand. Rather than go to the bench, he went to the goal post and used it to hammer his shoulder back into place.

He was one of the last two-way players at Duke. He led the team in rushing in 1964 as a fullback, while also starting at LB. Drafted No. 1 by the Colts, he played 14 years in the NFL and was twice first-team all-pro. Maybe second only to Sonny Jurgensen when it comes to Duke's products in the NFL?

MChambers
03-26-2017, 01:06 PM

That's my enduring memory of Mr. Curtis, too.

Ggallagher
03-26-2017, 01:26 PM

I liked seeing Curtis's name pop up on the board. My roommate was from the Baltimore area, and he told me that you'd sometimes see Mike in restaurants, bars, or other public sites - and he'd be sitting separate from his teammates. Apparently folks came to understand pretty quickly that he was best left alone. He was a pretty special character.

sagegrouse
03-26-2017, 01:53 PM

Mike's most famous Super Bowl was two years later. He made a key interception in the Colts win over the Cowboys in Super Bowl V. The score was 16-13. Yes, though, he did play in Super Bowl III against the Jets.

Curtis did play linebacker at Duke in the era of two-way play. He was resting on the sidelines, however, during the game-breaker against Roger Staubach's Navy team in 1963. Navy, which had a 31-25 lead, was backed up on its six-yard line IIRC. Navy's speedster halfback Johnny Sai broke a 93-yard run up the middle to clinch the win for the Middies. Curtis would have made the tackle.

sagegrouse
03-26-2017, 01:57 PM

Brey grew up in the Walter Johnson HS district, where my daughters went to school. Although Brey went to DeMatha instead of WJ, he was boyhood friends with a neighbor who eventually became WJ basketball coach. While my daughter was on the team, Brey showed up one day and was invited to run practice, which he did.

wsb3
03-26-2017, 03:02 PM
Mike's most famous Super Bowl was two years later. He made a key interception in the Colts win over the Cowboys in Super Bowl V. The score was 16-13. Yes, though, he did play in Super Bowl III against the Jets.

Also known as the Blunder Bowl...11 turnovers.

szstark
03-26-2017, 03:49 PM
Brey grew up in the Walter Johnson HS district, where my daughters went to school. Although Brey went to DeMatha instead of WJ, he was boyhood friends with a neighbor who eventually became WJ basketball coach. While my daughter was on the team, Brey showed up one day and was invited to run practice, which he did.

Both my kids graduated from WJ also. I think Brey's family owns/owned (or at least had an interest in) a crab restaurant in Ocean City.

Indoor66
03-26-2017, 03:52 PM
I think Brey's family owns/owned (or at least had an interest in) a crab restaurant in Ocean City.

Doesn't everyone in MD?

szstark
03-26-2017, 04:14 PM
Doesn't everyone in MD?

Yeah, good point. After living in Florida for the past 9 years, we finally got a crab house in Venice. Can't get enough of the place.

Atlanta Duke
03-26-2017, 04:49 PM
After Archie Miller takes the Indiana offer his dad circles back to discuss the possibility of Miller going to NC State

“Yeah, everyone thought NC State, but I knew that wasn’t gonna happen,” John Miller told myDayton Daily News. “He knows that place too well. You gotta have trust in the people above you that they’ll stand by you.”

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/archie-millers-father-says-son-turned-down-nc-state-job-because-of-trust-issues/

arnie
03-26-2017, 04:56 PM
After Archie Miller takes the Indiana offer his dad circles back to discuss the possibility of Miller going to NC State

“Yeah, everyone thought NC State, but I knew that wasn’t gonna happen,” John Miller told myDayton Daily News. “He knows that place too well. You gotta have trust in the people above you that they’ll stand by you.”

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/archie-millers-father-says-son-turned-down-nc-state-job-because-of-trust-issues/

Quite the indictment of Ms. Yow.

English
03-27-2017, 10:10 AM

So perhaps making a public spectacle of Gott's ouster in-season wasn't the confidence-inspiring message to potential replacements that the NCSU administration and AD had hoped...sort of like we could all see coming a mile away?

CrazyNotCrazie
03-27-2017, 10:14 AM

Given her reputation, Yow is lucky to have gotten the coach she got. State obviously hopes not to be doing a coaching search for a long time, but worst case, Yow is in her mid-60s so likely will not be involved again.

With many coaches gathering at the final four, it should be a busy week for interviewing and likely hiring.

MrPoon
03-27-2017, 08:12 PM
Don't know if this is the place to discuss, but on the radio today Seth Greenberg (who says 5 things that are garbage and one thing that isn't...its a fun party game, not so much on the radio/TV). But he did say if the Georgetown opening wasn't sure of Ewing (and I don't think they will be after all the chances he's had in the NBA and been passed up... maybe, maybe there is a reason.. I have NO knowledge), they should consider Johnny D. That would be awesome! The only conflict would be I've always had mixed feelings about Georgetown and now I'd have to change them. But that would be really cool if he could bring back, even to a lesser degree the rep of a classic powerhouse.

lotusland
03-27-2017, 08:19 PM
Don't know if this is the place to discuss, but on the radio today Seth Greenberg (who says 5 things that are garbage and one thing that isn't...its a fun party game, not so much on the radio/TV). But he did say if the Georgetown opening wasn't sure of Ewing (and I don't think they will be after all the chances he's had in the NBA and been passed up... maybe, maybe there is a reason.. I have NO knowledge), they should consider Johnny D. That would be awesome! The only conflict would be I've always had mixed feelings about Georgetown and now I'd have to change them. But that would be really cool if he could bring back, even to a lesser degree the rep of a classic powerhouse.

Thought Amaker was the Dukie under consideration at Georgetown along with Brey, Shaka and now Ewing. Haven't heard JD's name mentioned.

English
03-28-2017, 09:50 AM
Thought Amaker was the Dukie under consideration at Georgetown along with Brey, Shaka and now Ewing. Haven't heard JD's name mentioned.

JD and Amaker have been associated with the vacancy, as far as the Duke coaching tree is concerned. Folks on DBR have mentioned the Hurleys being reasonable candidates, but they haven't been mentioned either by the media or by Georgetown insiders that I've heard. Outside of our Duke community, Andy Enfield has been mentioned as a possible candidate, however.

I've also gotten credible information last night from someone close to the AD that the Hoyas talked to Tom Crean yesterday informally about the job, as well. That would be a mistake, IMO, but obviously I don't have a vote.

Dev11
03-28-2017, 10:13 AM

Basically, any decent coach with DC ties is in the mix, as they all should be. Georgetown is in the middle of a recruiting hotbed and plays in a big fancy arena. They should be able to sign a top 25ish recruiting class just hunting in their metro area.

How many of those coaches mentioned want to leave their current jobs? Texas gives a coach plenty of space to work on the program since they only really worry about football, so I don't see Shaka taking what would probably be a pay cut to leave. Brey has a major program rolling and has been there for a long time. Amaker, by everything we read here, is really comfortable at Harvard, although Georgetown would probably be a nice raise. Dawkins has only been at UCF for one season, so I'm not sure he's ready to pack up again, but of those four, he would seem like the most likely to take that job on the basis of it being a clear upgrade in prestige and salary.

I wouldn't hire Ewing if I was Georgetown. Did they not just learn their lesson about hiring legacy coaches?

Billy Dat
03-28-2017, 10:36 AM
I am surprised Capel isn't getting mentioned for the Georgetown job.

flyingdutchdevil
03-28-2017, 10:43 AM

The Duke coaching tree already has a quota for smart schools (Duke, NW, Harvard, ND).

FadedTackyShirt
03-28-2017, 10:49 AM
Allegedly there was mutual interest between Amaker and Cal, but neither side could make it work.

Tommy's wife has a very good gig at Harvard, so doubtful they move for any school that doesn't work for both of them. Georgetown could thread the needle.

devildeac
03-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Amaker? Georgetown? Safety school? :rolleyes:;)

brevity
04-01-2017, 12:34 AM
Staying within the state system, UNC-Wilmington hires C.B. McGrath (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19044865/north-carolina-tar-heels-assistant-cb-mcgrath-next-head-coach-unc-wilmington-seahawks), UNC assistant for the past 14 years.

McGrath is known as an effective recruiter and was the point man on recent Tar Heel stars Marcus Paige and Brice Johnson, and current starters Joel Berry, Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks.

nmduke2001
04-01-2017, 12:02 PM
Coach Neal is out at UNM. He didn't have much success and never connected with the community. This is a big surprise because the state is in a lot of financial trouble and didn't want to pay the buy out. The situation had become quite toxic. Coach Neal's son, Colin, transferred last year following alleged death threats.

I'm hoping they go with James Borrego. He's a local guy that is an assistant under popovich and was the interim HC in Orlando after they fired Vaughn. I'm guessing Borrego's time under popovich would make Texas a fertile ground for recruiting.

Some are speculating Crean.

wsb3
04-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Staying within the state system, UNC-Wilmington hires C.B. McGrath (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/19044865/north-carolina-tar-heels-assistant-cb-mcgrath-next-head-coach-unc-wilmington-seahawks), UNC assistant for the past 14 years.

As a native of New Hanover County I sure hope this works out better than the last UNC hire..

FadedTackyShirt
04-02-2017, 02:56 PM

CB's KU/UNC pal Jerod Haase went to UAB before Stanford, but CB's timing seems a little odd. UNCW's not a terrible place to start, but why announce before the F4? Dubious the NCAA finally pulls the trigger on UNC, but...

nmduke2001
04-02-2017, 07:37 PM
Coach Neal is out at UNM. He didn't have much success and never connected with the community. This is a big surprise because the state is in a lot of financial trouble and didn't want to pay the buy out. The situation had become quite toxic. Coach Neal's son, Colin, transferred last year following alleged death threats.

I'm hoping they go with James Borrego. He's a local guy that is an assistant under popovich and was the interim HC in Orlando after they fired Vaughn. I'm guessing Borrego's time under popovich would make Texas a fertile ground for recruiting.

Some are speculating Crean.

Supposedly UNM is interested in Lorenzo Romar, Larry Shyatt and Joe Dooley (Florida Gulf Coast HC). It's reported that Mark Gottfried has contact the AD to let him know of his interest in the job.

Atlanta Duke
04-02-2017, 08:14 PM

He gets a mention in this article by Pete Thamel on SI.com that castigates Georgetown

As bungled coaching search continues, Georgetown operates with no plan

Georgetown not only canned Thompson III way too late, losing out to N.C. State on a top candidate like Kevin Keatts. It did so with no real plan in place. ...

Whoever gets the job, it will be clear how far it has fallen to them. That could be Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, Duke assistant Jeff Capel, USC’s Andy Enfield or South Carolina’s Frank Martin.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/02/georgetown-coaching-search-hoyas-thompson

Never a good sign when your AD (or whoever is calling the shots for Georgetown) is said to have been outwitted by Debbie Yow

sagegrouse
04-02-2017, 08:18 PM
He gets a mention in this article by Pete Thamel on SI.com that castigates Georgetown

As bungled coaching search continues, Georgetown operates with no plan

Georgetown not only canned Thompson III way too late, losing out to N.C. State on a top candidate like Kevin Keatts. It did so with no real plan in place. ...

Whoever gets the job, it will be clear how far it has fallen to them. That could be Rhode Island’s Danny Hurley, Minnesota’s Richard Pitino, Duke assistant Jeff Capel, USC’s Andy Enfield or South Carolina’s Frank Martin.

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/04/02/georgetown-coaching-search-hoyas-thompson

Never a good sign when your AD (or whoever is calling the shots for Georgetown) is said to have been outwitted by Debbie Yow

A little sympathy for Lee Reed. It had to be a wrenching decision to axe John Thompson III with Big Jawn still at Georgetown.

TKG
04-03-2017, 02:54 PM
http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-19069281

howardlander
04-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Great news for Ewing who, it seems, has had a hard time getting a head coaching gig in the NBA. I hope it works out for him.

Howard

Olympic Fan
04-03-2017, 03:17 PM

Does this feel like a replay of the Sidney Lowe hire at NC State?

A legendary player at the school is hired after a botched search with absolutely no -- not one minute -- of experience as a college coach.

That will turn out well!

CrazyNotCrazie
04-03-2017, 03:20 PM

I think that Ewing has gained a strong knowledge of X's and O's as a pro assistant, though that doesn't not fully translate to the college game. The bigger concern is whether he has any idea how to recruit. I'm sure he can hire good assistants to help him with that, but it is a big leap for him. This makes it very clear that Big John is still in charge at Georgetown.

Based on Ewing to Georgetown and Mullin to St. John's, it is too bad Pearl Washington passed or he would be the likely candidate to replace Boeheim Syracuse now that Hopkins is gone - perhaps Derrick Coleman is available?

FadedTackyShirt
04-03-2017, 03:23 PM
Selfishly had hoped for either Amaker or Hurley to broaden the potential K sweepstakes field with data points from a reasonable hoops/academic comp to Duke.

Amakers are a Duke power couple with a very good situation at Harvard and the Georgetown search reportedly was chaotic, so may not have been appealing to the Amakers.

TKG
04-03-2017, 03:26 PM
I think that Ewing has gained a strong knowledge of X's and O's as a pro assistant, though that doesn't not fully translate to the college game. The bigger concern is whether he has any idea how to recruit. I'm sure he can hire good assistants ...

Ewing doesn't have to worry, Big John will handle all of the recruiting and the selection of Ewing's assistants.

Olympic Fan
04-03-2017, 03:39 PM
I think that Ewing has gained a strong knowledge of X's and O's as a pro assistant

So did Sidney Lowe ... who did that work out?

duke79
04-03-2017, 03:54 PM
Selfishly had hoped for either Amaker or Hurley to broaden the potential K sweepstakes field with data points from a reasonable hoops/academic comp to Duke.

Amakers are a Duke power couple with a very good situation at Harvard and the Georgetown search reportedly was chaotic, so may not have been appealing to the Amakers.

I have no idea if TA was in serious running for the Georgetown job but I would not have advised him to take that job. IMHO, it's going to be very hard to revive the glory days there, and, as you note, he and his wife apparently have a very good situation at Harvard.

Dev11
04-03-2017, 04:24 PM
Count me among the skeptics on Ewing. If I was a Hoya, I'd worry that boosters and administration will be wary of getting in Ewing's way (pun intended) as he figures out how to be a college head coach. They just finished a mostly lackluster experience with a member of the family at the helm. Why do the same thing again? Georgetown is a prominent enough program that they could attract a successful mid major coach who isn't currently coaching in a recruiting hotbed.

Indoor66
04-03-2017, 04:43 PM
I think that Ewing has gained a strong knowledge of X's and O's as a pro assistant, though that doesn't not fully translate to the college game. The bigger concern is whether he has any idea how to recruit. I'm sure he can hire good assistants to help him with that, but it is a big leap for him. This makes it very clear that Big John is still in charge at Georgetown.

Based on Ewing to Georgetown and Mullin to St. John's, it is too bad Pearl Washington passed or he would be the likely candidate to replace Boeheim Syracuse now that Hopkins is gone - perhaps Derrick Coleman is available?

No worries. Melo will soon retire.

NSDukeFan
04-03-2017, 07:50 PM
I expect they should be ok for having a big man coach. He probably won't be physically intimidated by any other coaches, even Frank Martin.

Ed Pinckney to Villanova and Billy Donovan to Providence and we'd be all set.

EKU1969
04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Providence would probably have better luck prying god, Jr from the Mavericks!

Potato
04-03-2017, 09:01 PM
I think Ewing will do well at Georgetown. I'm a big time Hornets fans, and all the players seem to love him and rave about him. The work he's done with Cody Zeller is tremendous. A lot of high uppers in the NBA are surprised he hadn't gotten an NBA head coaching gig yet. It's definitely gonna be interesting to see how he fits since he has no experience in the college game, but I do think he's a good X's and O's guy. I bet he'll be able to recruit too.

Olympic Fan
04-03-2017, 09:10 PM
I think Ewing will do well at Georgetown. I'm a big time Hornets fans, and all the players seem to love him and rave about him. The work he's done with Cody Zeller is tremendous. A lot of high uppers in the NBA are surprised he hadn't gotten an NBA head coaching gig yet. It's definitely gonna be interesting to see how he fits since he has no experience in the college game, but I do think he's a good X's and O's guy. I bet he'll be able to recruit too.

My problem is that there is a BIG difference between the pro game and the college game.

I'm sure Ewing is solid with the x's and o's (so was Lowe), but there is so much more to the college game. Recruiting, administering a program and teaching ... especially teaching. Very little of that goes on in the NBA ... it's the lifeblood of college basketball.

Can Ewing relate to the kids he will have?

We'll have to see, but the general rule of thumb in almost all sports is that great athletes don't make great coaches. There are exceptions, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the best NCAA coaches historically have been marginal players -- Krzyzewski, Rupp, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim ... the one glaring exception is John Wooden, who was a great college player. Maybe Bill Russell with the Celtics.

Ewing may prove to be an exception, but his lack of knowledge of the college game is a huge red flag to me. I'd feel a lot more confident of his success had he gotten an NBA head job.

brevity
04-03-2017, 09:27 PM
We'll have to see, but the general rule of thumb in almost all sports is that great athletes don't make great coaches. There are exceptions, but I don't think it's a coincidence that the best NCAA coaches historically have been marginal players -- Krzyzewski, Rupp, Dean Smith, Bobby Knight, Roy Williams, Jim Boeheim ... the one glaring exception is John Wooden, who was a great college player. Maybe Bill Russell with the Celtics.

Dawn Staley?

I like the Ewing hire, if Georgetown wasn't going to go in a completely different direction. The continued Thompson influence could keep this from being like a Sidney Lowe experiment, but if it still fails, then maybe the program can finally make a clean break. Patience required either way.

Newton_14
04-03-2017, 09:41 PM

The exact same thing was said of Sydney Lowe...

Edouble
04-06-2017, 10:30 AM
Supposedly UNM is interested in Lorenzo Romar, Larry Shyatt and Joe Dooley (Florida Gulf Coast HC). It's reported that Mark Gottfried has contact the AD to let him know of his interest in the job.

My (very good) sources tell me that Coach Shyatt has not been contacted by UNM.

Jim3k
04-10-2017, 11:58 PM
after 18 years. Matt Norlander of CBSSports has the skinny (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/steve-fisher-did-the-unthinkable-and-the-impractical-at-san-diego-state/). He will be replaced by long-time assistant Brian Dutcher.

I have to admit that Norlander makes a pretty good case that Fisher accomplished some things warranting HoF admission. The building of the program is, in retrospect, astonishing. He took over the program at age 54 and now retires at 72. Plus, his time at Michigan seemed to tarnish him, but he was never involved in that scandal. Even so, moving to SDSU seemed to have diminished him at the time. But now...fully vindicated? I'd say so.

brevity
04-11-2017, 12:42 AM
after 18 years. Matt Norlander of CBSSports has the skinny (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/steve-fisher-did-the-unthinkable-and-the-impractical-at-san-diego-state/). He will be replaced by long-time assistant Brian Dutcher.

I have to admit that Norlander makes a pretty good case that Fisher accomplished some things warranting HoF admission. The building of the program is, in retrospect, astonishing. He took over the program at age 54 and now retires at 72. Plus, his time at Michigan seemed to tarnish him, but he was never involved in that scandal. Even so, moving to SDSU seemed to have diminished him at the time. But now...fully vindicated? I'd say so.

This is bigger news than a first impression would indicate. Steve Fisher was one of the 11 active Division I college basketball coaches* with a national title. The circumstances were unusual, but he did win that title before the other 10: Coach K, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Tom Izzo, Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams, Bill Self, John Calipari, Kevin Ollie, Jay Wright.

* This is a carefully worded phrase for a few reasons. First, Rollie Massimino is still coaching (http://www.kuseahawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=54&path=mbball) at the NAIA level. Second, Billy Donovan is coaching in the NBA. Third, a handful of coaches with titles are alive but retired: Bobby Knight, Joe B. Hall, Jud Heathcote, Denny Crum, John Thompson, Larry Brown, Nolan Richardson, Jim Harrick, Lute Olson, Jim Calhoun, Gary Williams.

flyingdutchdevil
04-11-2017, 08:05 AM
This is bigger news than a first impression would indicate. Steve Fisher was one of the 11 active Division I college basketball coaches* with a national title. The circumstances were unusual, but he did win that title before the other 10: Coach K, Rick Pitino, Tubby Smith, Tom Izzo, Jim Boeheim, Roy Williams, Bill Self, John Calipari, Kevin Ollie, Jay Wright.

* This is a carefully worded phrase for a few reasons. First, Rollie Massimino is still coaching (http://www.kuseahawks.com/coaches.aspx?rc=54&path=mbball) at the NAIA level. Second, Billy Donovan is coaching in the NBA. Third, a handful of coaches with titles are alive but retired: Bobby Knight, Joe B. Hall, Jud Heathcote, Denny Crum, John Thompson, Larry Brown, Nolan Richardson, Jim Harrick, Lute Olson, Jim Calhoun, Gary Williams.

What's crazy is that 4 of the remaining 10 are in the ACC. Wow.

BD80
04-15-2017, 07:02 PM
As if Arizona's recruiting wasn't already top notch:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arizona-hires-former-washington-coach-lorenzo-romar-as-top-assistant/

Romar is the new assistant coach

Olympic Fan
04-15-2017, 08:06 PM
What's crazy is that 4 of the remaining 10 are in the ACC. Wow.

The six non-ACC coaches have one title each -- six between them

The four ACC coaches have 11 titles between them (K 5, Roy 3, Pitino 2, Boeheim 1).

So every coach with multiple titles is in the ACC.

Tripping William
06-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Thad Matta is out at tOSU, effective immediately (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2017/06/05/thad-matta-coach-one-more-year-at-ohio-state/102517068/), citing health issues. Matta is only 49 years old.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Thad Matta is retiring from tOSU, effective immediately (https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/bigten/2017/06/05/thad-matta-coach-one-more-year-at-ohio-state/102517068/), citing health issues. Matta is only 49 years old.

Interesting. The article is not clear about whether this was health or performance related. His health issues are well documented and it has always been assumed he was not staying until he was 70. This could truly set the carousel in motion, as one of the other top candidates leaving their current role will create another opening, etc. Matta had an experienced associate head coach in Dave Dickerson but if this is performance related than they are not likely to promote internally.

I hope this shakes out well for Greg Paulus.

Indoor66
06-05-2017, 02:50 PM
Interesting. The article is not clear about whether this was health or performance related. His health issues are well documented and it has always been assumed he was not staying until he was 70. This could truly set the carousel in motion, as one of the other top candidates leaving their current role will create another opening, etc. Matta had an experienced associate head coach in Dave Dickerson but if this is performance related than they are not likely to promote internally.

I hope this shakes out well for Greg Paulus.

Matta has not produced. Simple.

TKG
06-05-2017, 02:54 PM
Like Duke, Ohio State is a football school! I will be interested to see the level of interest in the job.

tbyers11
06-05-2017, 02:55 PM

Agree with your point. But the timing is weird. What happened between April 1st and June 1st that made the AD think now was the time? If Matta was fired in April, Archie Miller is probably in Columbus now instead of Bloomington. Now OSU is going to have to break the bank to get a big name coach.

DangerDevil
06-05-2017, 02:56 PM

Per Jeff Goodman, Matta wanted to stay:

"Thad Matta done immediately at Ohio State. Sides saying decision was mutual, but source close to Matta said he wanted to keep coaching. Timing is strange. June."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-19550725

Tripping William
06-05-2017, 03:06 PM
Per Jeff Goodman, Matta wanted to stay:

"Thad Matta done immediately at Ohio State. Sides saying decision was mutual, but source close to Matta said he wanted to keep coaching. Timing is strange. June."

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=1-19550725

Both the timing and the roll-out seem strange. A first set of reports had Matta coaching one more season (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2017/6/5/15741558/ohio-state-basketball-thad-matta-coaching-search) before stepping aside. But then the news changed to "effective immediately."

sagegrouse
06-05-2017, 03:15 PM
Both the timing and the roll-out seem strange. A first set of reports had Matta coaching one more season (http://www.landgrantholyland.com/2017/6/5/15741558/ohio-state-basketball-thad-matta-coaching-search) before stepping aside. But then the news changed to "effective immediately."

Coaching "one more season" means that Ohio State will be unable to recruit for the next year, or until the new head coach is named.

Olympic Fan
06-05-2017, 04:06 PM
The timing may have to do with the fact that Ohio State just completed a terrible recruiting class ... its second disappointing class in a row.

The school may have been waiting to see how the class turned out. OSU was in contention for several five-star guys. They got none.

Recruiting can be the tipping point -- a little more than a decade ago, a strong recruiting class earned Herb Sendek, coming off five lousy seasons, a reprieve at NC State. Clemson's Brad Brownell is on the hot seat at Clemson today, but his fate may turn less on how the Tigers play next season or whether he lands Zion Williamson (the best upstate South Carolina player since Kevin Garnett).

I imagine the OSU administration wants somebody new who can recruit better than the ailing Matta.

I consider Ohio State on a level very much with NC State -- not quite a blue blood, but a very viable program that has had major success in the past. The Buckeyes have had success more recently, but overall, the Pack might be a bit stronger historically.

wsb3
06-05-2017, 07:25 PM
This coaching search at this time of year should be interesting to say the least.

Read about Matta's pain issues. I just hope & pray he can get well.