PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore <--> D.C.

pigs2k1
10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
OK D.C. Dukies, this is an easy one. I'm arriving at BWI Friday afternoon, 3:40pm, need to get to D.C. What's the best way?
I'm leaving BWI on Sunday, 4:30pm. How do I get back there from D.C.?
P.S. Public transportation only; I really, really don't want to rent a car.

feldspar
10-16-2007, 12:52 PM
OK D.C. Dukies, this is an easy one. I'm arriving at BWI Friday afternoon, 3:40pm, need to get to D.C. What's the best way?

Try the MARC (http://mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/MARC_PENN_HTML_New.cfm). The Penn Line services BWI and goes right into Union Station.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-16-2007, 12:57 PM
I concur. MARC works well during the week. I think it runs less trains on the weekend however.

You'll catch a shuttle bus btw BWI and the MARC station, then take it to Union Station in DC.

pigs2k1
10-16-2007, 01:13 PM
Thanks for the link. Looks like the MARC is M-F only though. Anyone have ideas for getting back on Sunday?

-jk
10-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Amtrak (http://tickets.amtrak.com/itd/amtrak/FareFinder?_tripType=OneWay&_origin=was&_depmonthyear=2007-10&_depday=21&_dephourmin=1400&_destination=bwi&_retmonthyear=&_retday=&_rethourmin=&_adults=1&_children=0&_infants=0&_searchBy=schedule&x=26&y=16) also runs WAS to BWI, and on Sundays. Not quite as cheap as MARC, but cheaper than a cab or shuttle.

-jk

snowdenscold
10-16-2007, 01:34 PM

I don't drive anywhere in the DC Metro area between 3 and 7 PM on a Friday.

greybeard
10-16-2007, 02:06 PM
The Marc is great for coming in; definitely the way to go. The Marc does not run on weekends. Amtrack is the only "public" option. You might want to decide when you want to go and make a reservation. Amtrack is getting a bit like the Airlines, particularly on Sunday travel. You will want a "regional" train and coach fare. If you wait too long, trains going at optimal time could well be sold out, or you might get stuck with a higher fare.

Also, you'll be able to just use the machine to print out your ticket. As the Marc and Amtrack go to Union Station in DC, you could, if you want, print out your ticket on arriving in DC and then just get to the train on time.

jimbonelson
10-16-2007, 02:23 PM
I Had To Take A Cab From Bwi To Reagen Intl. This Summer And It Only Cost Me 40 Bucks

bdh21
10-16-2007, 03:16 PM
There is a free Metrobus that runs from BWI to the Greenbelt Metro station. The bus departs BWI every 40 minutes and the schedule can be found here:http://www.wmata.com/timetables/md/b30.pdf

It is a little time intensive but it's definitely the cheapest option if that is an issue.

throatybeard
10-16-2007, 03:20 PM
I don't drive anywhere in the DC Metro area between 3 and 7 PM on a Friday.

I don't drive anywhere in the DC Metro area between midnight Sunday and 11:59pm on Saturday.

snowdenscold
10-16-2007, 03:48 PM
I don't drive anywhere in the DC Metro area between midnight Sunday and 11:59pm on Saturday.

Not a bad idea. Seriously, if I'm leaving town on a Friday and need to head south on 95 or west on 66 - if I'm not crossing from Fairfax Co. into Prince William by 2 PM or earlier, I almost always wait until 7:30 or 8 to leave.

I once got on I-95 S IN Prince William at 3:20 PM and still hadn't passed all of Quantico 2 hours later. And there were no accidents.

Clipsfan
10-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Not a bad idea. Seriously, if I'm leaving town on a Friday and need to head south on 95 or west on 66 - if I'm not crossing from Fairfax Co. into Prince William by 2 PM or earlier, I almost always wait until 7:30 or 8 to leave.

I once got on I-95 S IN Prince William at 3:20 PM and still hadn't passed all of Quantico 2 hours later. And there were no accidents.

One time leaving LA on a holiday weekend I got out of the car twice to use the same bathroom. We were moving that fast.

OZZIE4DUKE
10-17-2007, 08:38 AM
One time leaving LA on a holiday weekend I got out of the car twice to use the same bathroom. We were moving that fast.

I'll bet that's the best fertilized bush in all of California! :D

MrBisonDevil
10-17-2007, 02:25 PM
Call SUPERSHUTTLE to get back to BWI. Flat rate. http://www.supershuttle.com