PDA

View Full Version : Another Grayson Story - From "The Ringer"

slower
03-15-2017, 02:22 PM
https://theringer.com/duke-blue-devils-grayson-allen-booing-2017-ncaa-tournament-f4d6d6cd4429#.kd3yq3rqd

Despite the title, a pretty good read.

The money line about the booing and hate he endures - "When you win, it gets quiet." Amen, brother.

flyingdutchdevil
03-15-2017, 03:07 PM
Recommend for everyone to read this.

It's a really good piece. Doesn't try to rationalize Grayson's tripping or analyze his mental state. Discusses Grayson's game and how important he is to this team.

Billy Dat
03-15-2017, 05:22 PM
I thought it was pretty fair but I disagreed with this line:

"Each time, Allen has gotten frustrated at his own poor play and lunged a leg, flailing to try to erase his own failure."

I think each time he was issuing some payback for cheap shots and other dirty stuff.

devilsince1977
03-15-2017, 06:32 PM
I thought it was poor and uninformed. At least get the facts right. K had back surgery, he said K took time off to deal with chronic back pain. No; he had back surgery.
Grayson is a knockdown shooter but he has been dealing with injuries all season, not just a couple weeks. From a staff infection in his foot, to shoulder pain, to multiple sprained ankles. I doubt if he has been truly healthy all year. He actually has the best "stroke" on the team. (Luke is shooting better this year but he has a weird stroke) It is hard to be consistent when your legs aren't under you and your shoulder is injured. Just ask Steph Curry. All of the tripping incidents were triggered by opponents trying "punk" him. He should have either walked away or DECKED the prick form FSU and got it over with. Maybe then people would be less eager to punk him. The refs have proven they won't protect him like the do the rest of the players.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 07:15 AM
I thought it was poor and uninformed. At least get the facts right. K had back surgery, he said K took time off to deal with chronic back pain. No; he had back surgery.
Grayson is a knockdown shooter but he has been dealing with injuries all season, not just a couple weeks. From a staff infection in his foot, to shoulder pain, to multiple sprained ankles. I doubt if he has been truly healthy all year. He actually has the best "stroke" on the team. (Luke is shooting better this year but he has a weird stroke) It is hard to be consistent when your legs aren't under you and your shoulder is injured. Just ask Steph Curry. All of the tripping incidents were triggered by opponents trying "punk" him. He should have either walked away or DECKED the prick form FSU and got it over with. Maybe then people would be less eager to punk him. The refs have proven they won't protect him like the do the rest of the players.

Yes, clearly escalating physical conflict would be the obvious solution.

Grayson has overcome a lot this season and seems to be getting into the flow of things, channelling his passion back into his game rather than letting it explode in unfortunate ways. But let's not play revisionist historian here - Grayson largely brought this attention on himself. Yes, the reaction was disproportionate to his actions, but he also isn't the lily white innocent here.

Rooting for Allen to keep his head for the next three weeks and get attention for all the right reasons.

weezie
03-16-2017, 08:07 AM
I thought it was pretty fair but I disagreed with this line:

"Each time, Allen has gotten frustrated at his own poor play and lunged a leg, flailing to try to erase his own failure."

Plus, that is one hell of a tortured, florid and definitely not Duke-educated sentence. C-

vfefrenzy
03-16-2017, 09:34 AM
Grayson largely brought this attention on himself.

Seriously, watch this video and you'll see exactly where the hate started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_-vfaw1BwQ

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 09:42 AM
Seriously, watch this video and you'll see exactly where the hate started. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_-vfaw1BwQ

So...Grayson's excellent play in the title game led him to trip 3 players?

Really confused what you're trying to get at here.

luburch
03-16-2017, 10:03 AM
So...Grayson's excellent play in the title game led him to trip 3 players?

Really confused what you're trying to get at here.

He was hated before he tripped anyone. The tripping obviously made it way way worse, but he was always going to be hated.

slower
03-16-2017, 10:10 AM
He was hated before he tripped anyone. The tripping obviously made it way way worse, but he was always going to be hated.

As I've posted previously, Grayson was set up to be hated before he ever CAME to Duke. There was a Grantland article about how the 2014 team wasn't that bad, but that the next hated Duke player (Grayson) was coming the next year.

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 10:22 AM

I don't deny that. But Grayson would not have been booed incessantly or got ripped by the media minus the tripping. In the words of Scheyer, "I got booed, and people said all rude things...his level is a whole ’nother thing.” The unfair treatment by Allen isn't because he's white or plays at Duke. That may have created the base for hatred, but Scheyer and Paulus fit the same bill and were nowhere near as hated as Allen. Without the tripping, Allen doesn't get as much media exposure. And without the media exposure, he doesn't get this treatment.

jv001
03-16-2017, 10:48 AM
I don't deny that. But Grayson would not have been booed incessantly or got ripped by the media minus the tripping. In the words of Scheyer, "I got booed, and people said all rude things...his level is a whole ’nother thing.” The unfair treatment by Allen isn't because he's white or plays at Duke. That may have created the base for hatred, but Scheyer and Paulus fit the same bill and were nowhere near as hated as Allen. Without the tripping, Allen doesn't get as much media exposure. And without the media exposure, he doesn't get this treatment.

I agree with the bolded part of your post. But the media was just waiting on Grayson to make a mistake and he obliged them. However, I think Grayson started the tripping because of opponents mugging him and fouls not being called. GoDuke!

sagegrouse
03-16-2017, 10:53 AM

I haven't made too much about this aspect of Grayson's treatment on ESPN, but it appears there's a foot fetishist in charge at the network. The proof for me was the multi-minute diversion during the ACC's of Grayson trying to tie his shoes properly. Hah! Caught you!

Because of its kinky preoccupation, the network has made a mountain out of a molehill -- a small, under-"foot" pile of dirt. I mean, "tripping?" Sure it isn't a "basketball play," but it isn't really a hockey play or a soccer play either. I mean, two minutes times three in the hockey penalty box is one one-thousandth (1/1,000) of what Grayson has experienced. In soccer a violent trip may get a yellow card but frequently a trip results only in change of possession. Thus there is this ESPN fascination with truly minor incidents involving feet. But, it turns out, that the operative word for the network is "feet."

flyingdutchdevil
03-16-2017, 11:21 AM
I haven't made too much about this aspect of Grayson's treatment on ESPN, but it appears there's a foot fetishist in charge at the network. The proof for me was the multi-minute diversion during the ACC's of Grayson trying to tie his shoes properly. Hah! Caught you!

Because of its kinky preoccupation, the network has made a mountain out of a molehill -- a small, under-"foot" pile of dirt. I mean, "tripping?" Sure it isn't a "basketball play," but it isn't really a hockey play or a soccer play either. I mean, two minutes times three in the hockey penalty box is one one-thousandth (1/1,000) of what Grayson has experienced. In soccer a violent trip may get a yellow card but frequently a trip results only in change of possession. Thus there is this ESPN fascination with truly minor incidents involving feet. But, it turns out, that the operative word for the network is "feet."

We both very much agree and this is what I tell all my friends/colleagues who rip on Allen:

1) Allen isn't a very likable player unless you are a Duke fan. He plays with such raw emotion. He is sometimes petty, and the tripping clearly proves this. I understand why the average college basketball fan doesn't like Allen. I truly get it. Cus if Allen was a Tarhole, you better believe his dislike on DBR would be (Sean May + Harrison Barnes + Nate Britt).

2) The tripping incident isn't a basketball play. It is a flagrant foul. And that is it. It doesn't warrant a suspension nor does it warrant additional punishments.

3) Allen has been treated worse than rapists and wife beaters on ESPN, and he gets more exposure than any other non-professional athlete. It's ridiculous. Allen hasn't broken the law. He hasn't done anything egregious. He's just a white kid who plays for Duke who is sometimes petty on the court.

4) Let the kid be a kid. You don't have to like him, but hating him because of his tripping history is ridiculous.

gam7
03-16-2017, 11:30 AM
We both very much agree and this is what I tell all my friends/colleagues who rip on Allen:

1) Allen isn't a very likable player unless you are a Duke fan. He plays with such raw emotion. He is sometimes petty, and the tripping clearly proves this. I understand why the average college basketball fan doesn't like Allen. I truly get it. Cus if Allen was a Tar Heel, you better believe his dislike on DBR would be (Sean May + Harrison Barnes + Nate Britt)

We are not average college basketball fans in terms of our aversion to UNC. Of course we'd dislike him if he were a Tar Heel. Maybe a better way to think about it is how would we feel about him if he were on Michigan or St. John's or Virginia Tech (e.g., Deron Washington).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2017, 07:42 AM

Funny, I watched that game pretty closely and don't recall hate or boos.

TruBlu
03-17-2017, 09:21 AM

Funny, I watched that game pretty closely and don't recall hate or boos.

There was, however, a fair amount of whining after the game.:)

jv001
03-17-2017, 09:40 AM

Now...I'm...really...fired...up.
GoDuke.

Typed..this..way..because...the..stupid..space..ba r..will..not..work..

Hey..the..space..bar..worked..on..the..post.

Sixthman
03-17-2017, 09:41 AM

The fact that no one at ESPN ever got around to pointing this out is a testament to the fact that much of the commentary -- no all of the commentary -- about Grayson and and tripping has been about leveraging Duke hating to make a dime.