PDA

View Full Version : Amile's Legacy and All-Time Wins

Hauerwas
03-14-2017, 01:13 PM
Thinking through the last five year's of Amile Jefferson's impact on the Duke program. What an incredible legacy of toughness, leadership, on-court development, and winning.

I remember we signed Amile very late in the process as a McDonald's All-American. What I have enjoyed the most is watching him develop from a guy with very limited offensive skills as a freshman to a guy that is not only an absolute rock on defense, but is a superb rebounder and very nifty/crafty low post scorer. Jefferson is the consummate college player that has trusted the process, grown and has taken full advantage of being in an incredible system that has truly allowed him to reach his full potential as a player and person. What a great kid.

As an aside, if my numbers are accurate, Amile has been a part of 127 total wins throughout his career. Can anyone fact check that? If correct, where does he rate on the all-time wins list for both Duke as well as teams at large? He has to be up there, seems like Wayne Turner for UK has the most all-time ncaa wins, but Amile should be close given the fact he 'got' 9 extra wins last year when he was healthy.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Amile's nifty low-post spin moves have dramatically increased his value. Definitely a prototypical hard worker. Love his game, will miss the old man next year.

jv001
03-14-2017, 01:20 PM
Amile's nifty low-post spin moves have dramatically increased his value. Definitely a prototypical hard worker. Love his game, will miss the old man next year.

I agree and I like the way Amile uses the back board on his low post game. But I don't know if it's as good as how Luke uses the backboard on his 3 pointers. :cool: GoDuke!

CDu
03-14-2017, 01:21 PM
Thinking through the last five year's of Amile Jefferson's impact on the Duke program. What an incredible legacy of toughness, leadership, on-court development, and winning.

I remember we signed Amile very late in the process as a McDonald's All-American. What I have enjoyed the most is watching him develop from a guy with very limited offensive skills as a freshman to a guy that is not only an absolute rock on defense, but is a superb rebounder and very nifty/crafty low post scorer. Jefferson is the consummate college player that has trusted the process, grown and has taken full advantage of being in an incredible system that has truly allowed him to reach his full potential as a player and person. What a great kid.

As an aside, if my numbers are accurate, Amile has been a part of 127 total wins throughout his career. Can anyone fact check that? If correct, where does he rate on the all-time wins list for both Duke as well as teams at large? He has to be up there, seems like Wayne Turner for UK has the most all-time ncaa wins, but Amile should be close given the fact he 'got' 9 extra wins last year when he was healthy.

Battier current holds the record at 133. But he's about to get passed by Karnowski of Gonzaga, who now has 131 I think.

Billy Dat
03-14-2017, 01:22 PM
And to think he almost went to Villanova...

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 01:27 PM
Unless K benches Amile for the Troy game, Amile will become the all-time leader in game appearances at Duke per Al F.'s front-page article.

SCMatt33
03-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Battier current holds the record at 133. But he's about to get passed by Karnowski of Gonzaga, who now has 131 I think.

Battier is actually also at 131, so Karnowski has already tied it and merely needs to avoid losing to a 16 seed to pass it. That does not guarantee that he will hold the record for very long, as Kris Jenkins and Josh Hart of Villanova are close behind at 128 entering the tournament and would pass Battier with a Final Four run (Let's hope Amile has something to say about that!)

For the record, coming into the season, second place on Duke's all time list was Kyle Singler at 125.

Olympic Fan
03-14-2017, 01:35 PM
Just to correct your numbers, Hauerwas, Amile has just 123 career wins.

He missed three wins as a freshman in 2013 -- Santa Clara, Miami (the game Kelly returned from an injury), and the NCAA win over Michigan State.

So he played in 27 of Duke's 30 wins that season.

He played in all 35 games in 2014, giving him 26 more wins

He played in all 39 games in 2015, so 35 more wins

He played in nine games in 2016 -- and Duke won eight of them (losing to Kentucky)

He has played n 33 of 35 games this year, but the two he missed were losses -- so he gets 27 more wins.

That's 123 wins in his career to this point. He can get to as many as 129 if Duke goes all the way -- but he can't catch Battier.

He's currently tied with Chris Duhon for third place on the Duke (and ACC list). He needs two more wins to tie Kyle Single (125) for second place.

When he plays against Troy, Amile will set the school record for most games played at Duke.

budwom
03-14-2017, 01:40 PM
I like everything about Amile. The only thing I regret (and I'm sure he's tried) is his failure to develop just a basic, face the basket shot, let's say
from the foul line on in.....that would really help his game even more........it's been wonderful watching him develop.

I thought it was great listening to Amile, Jones and Kennard at the post game press conference, all three poised, articulate and fine reps of Duke...

CDu
03-14-2017, 01:42 PM
Battier is actually also at 131, so Karnowski has already tied it and merely needs to avoid losing to a 16 seed to pass it. That does not guarantee that he will hold the record for very long, as Kris Jenkins and Josh Hart of Villanova are close behind at 128 entering the tournament and would pass Battier with a Final Four run (Let's hope Amile has something to say about that!)

For the record, coming into the season, second place on Duke's all time list was Kyle Singler at 125.

So I misspoke doubly. Battier doesn't hold the record. The record is 133. And Karnowski is actually at 132.

So Karnowski will take the honor if Gonzaga reaches the Sweet 16. Hart and Jenkins would need to reach the title game to pass the current record holder, and also hope that Gonzaga doesn't go deep in the tourney.