PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NCAA Tournament Information Binder

pamtar
03-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Some guy on the reddit (u/eise87), with apparently WAY too much time on his hands, has put together the most thorough tournament resource I have ever seen. It's absolutely incredible and includes every stat and metric imaginable of every team in the field. I especially like the overseeded/underseeded portion. Here's (https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2inoL6EQLZPS29FTHdtVm5ZSEk/view) a link to the google doc.

I almost feel bad posting it here without his permission but he did share it freely and I'm crediting him as the source. Gonna go redo my brackets now...

mr. synellinden
03-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Great find! Thanks for sharing this. A treasure trove of information indeed.

DavidBenAkiva
03-13-2017, 09:20 PM
I was just going through this thing. It's an astounding amount of research.

Something I found interesting about Duke's opponent on Friday, the Troy Trojans: They rank in the bottom 5% of team in the percentage of points allowed at the rim at where the opponent takes a whopping 42.8% of their shots. And yet, the Trojans allow just 53.1% shooting at the rim, good for the 91st percentile. Troy is a short-ish team with no player above 6'8" tall. That one tall-ish player, Alex Hicks, only plays 15 minutes a game. So this is a short team that doesn't have a rim protector that somehow is limiting its opponents to very poor shooting at the rim. Strange.

Off the bat, it looks like Amile, Jayson, and Harry are going to find it relatively easy to attack the basket.

CDu
03-14-2017, 09:46 AM

Something I found interesting about Duke's opponent on Friday, the Troy Trojans: They rank in the bottom 5% of team in the percentage of points allowed at the rim at where the opponent takes a whopping 42.8% of their shots. And yet, the Trojans allow just 53.1% shooting at the rim, good for the 91st percentile. Troy is a short-ish team with no player above 6'8" tall. That one tall-ish player, Alex Hicks, only plays 15 minutes a game. So this is a short team that doesn't have a rim protector that somehow is limiting its opponents to very poor shooting at the rim. Strange.

Off the bat, it looks like Amile, Jayson, and Harry are going to find it relatively easy to attack the basket.

I think this can be answered by the fact that they haven't played anybody good. Per Pomeroy, they have played no top 50 teams, just 3 games total against the top 51-100 teams, and just 19 games total against the top 200 teams. The lower tier you go in competition, the less likely you are to play against teams that can beat you inside.

The Trojans actually rotate a pair of 6'8" guys in Davis and Hicks (Davis is the starter, plays 20 minutes per game; Hicks averages 15 off the bench). For some reason, ESPN doesn't present the stats for Davis, which is weird. But he's been pretty productive for them, averaging 7 points and 4 rebounds and shooting 40% from 3 in his 20 mpg. This duo pairs with Varnado, who at 6'6" plays bigger than his size and is a pretty good shotblocker. They are a pretty decently-sized team for a mid-major, and they've avoided playing any big-time schools this year.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 09:50 AM

Would love to see Harry have a monster game and get some rest for Amile. We shall see.

throatybeard
03-14-2017, 10:49 AM
I think this can be answered by the fact that they haven't played anybody good.

Occam's SOS.