PDA

View Full Version : WBB East Region - Duke (#2) vs. Hampton (#15) Sat. ~9pm

DU82
03-13-2017, 07:14 PM
Duke gets the number 2 seed in the east. UConn is the number one, Maryland number three.

First games are in Cameron on Saturday (so no conflict with the men's team, unlike two years ago.) We play Hampton. The 7-10 game is Temple vs. Oregon.

chrishoke
03-13-2017, 07:48 PM
An angry Maryland team awaits us in the sweet sixteen match up.

chrishoke
03-13-2017, 07:53 PM
If we pass that test, we will take on UConn in Bridgeport, Conn. Easy pickings. Bring it on. Go Devils.

DU82
03-13-2017, 08:53 PM
The Duke ticket web site indicates that the games on Saturday (3/18) are scheduled for 6:30 (Temple v. Oregon) and approximately 9PM (Duke v. Hampton.)

Could a mod please change the header.

CameronBornAndBred
03-13-2017, 10:17 PM
Does Hampton just set up travel arrangements in Durham a month in advance of the selection show?

DU82
03-13-2017, 10:23 PM
Does Hampton just set up travel arrangements in Durham a month in advance of the selection show?

Is this their third or fourth time to Durham?

I need to remember to bring earplugs because of their band.

brevity
03-13-2017, 10:43 PM

Is this their third or fourth time to Durham?

Third this decade.

2010: (2) Duke 72, (15) Hampton 37
2013: (2) Duke 67, (15) Hampton 51
2017: (2) Duke vs. (15) Hampton

Fortunately, they've gotten wise and built a Hampton Inn (http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hotels/north-carolina/hampton-inn-and-suites-durham-north-i-85-RDUNOHX/index.html) in Durham for just this occasion.

DU82
03-18-2017, 10:25 AM
It's game day for the women, and this was buried on page four.

devildeac
03-18-2017, 03:36 PM

What'd ya expect? We're a football school. :rolleyes:;)

DU82
03-18-2017, 08:38 PM
Game time is 8:50. Winner takes on Oregon, who hit a shot with about 5 seconds left, then blocked a layup attempt by Temple.

In the stands, we appreciated not going to overtime.

DU82
03-18-2017, 09:13 PM
17-8 after one. Sloppy play to start, perhaps some rust after two weeks off. The D didn't take any time off though. Hampton is short, and are probably surprised to face somebody like Erin at the top of the zone.

dudog84
03-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Am I allowed to scream profanities on the board?

Hope Kyra is ok.

OZ
03-18-2017, 09:28 PM
Duke up big, but Lambert taken to locker room with knee injury.

DU82
03-18-2017, 09:30 PM
17-8 after one, then 21-2 to start the second. Kyra was hurt in a collision going for a loose ball. She was helped off the floor and went directly to the locker room. Summer just came back and reported to the coaching staff. Since Kyra didn't come back with Summer, I'm guessing she's heading to Duke Med for an MRI.

DU82
03-18-2017, 09:36 PM
48-10 at the half. 31-2 second quarter.

The coaching staff was not smiling leaving the court thanks to the injury to Kyra.

dudog84
03-18-2017, 10:07 PM
Kyra on bench in full leg brace. Boy, that doesn't look good.

DU82
03-18-2017, 10:09 PM
Kyra back on the bench. Brace on her left leg. She's sitting talking to Summer.

dudog84
03-18-2017, 10:12 PM
Also just announced that Lynee hurt her knee in practice and is out for the season. 8 healthy players.

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Also just announced that Lynee hurt her knee in practice and is out for the season. 8 healthy players.

2015- 8 is enough

dukelifer
03-18-2017, 10:33 PM
Kyra back on the bench. Brace on her left leg. She's sitting talking to Summer.

Hampton shooting 16%. Wow

duke4ever19
03-18-2017, 10:36 PM

The UConn Invitational promises to be full of surprises.

Who will win the title this year?

uh_no
03-18-2017, 10:48 PM
Kyra on bench in full leg brace. Boy, that doesn't look good.

happened to be by the bleachers when she went back there. she was in major pain favoring her knee

those kind of symptoms don't usually lead to quick recoveries. shame 🙁

CameronBornAndBred
03-18-2017, 10:49 PM
Loved that defense. Don't imagine we'll be seeing Kyra any time soon, that is a big loss. I still think we can go deep.

10 first half points...wow.

dudog84
03-18-2017, 11:07 PM
What this means is that Lexie and Becca will have to handle the ball more. That's where Kyra was infinitely valuable, it freed them up to move. And Crystal/Faith are going to have to really step up. I don't know anything about Oregon, but I expect them to press the heck out of us.

And our bigs need to make layups.

burnspbesq
03-18-2017, 11:42 PM
What this means is that Lexie and Becca will have to handle the ball more. That's where Kyra was infinitely valuable, it freed them up to move. And Crystal/Faith are going to have to really step up. I don't know anything about Oregon, but I expect them to press the heck out of us.

And our bigs need to make layups.

Cooper/Odom/Chidom/Mathias a combined 18-25.

Doria
03-18-2017, 11:51 PM
I can't believe the women have another injury. Every time I read threads for WBB, which I admittedly don't do that often, it's either tractors or injuries.

devildeac
03-18-2017, 11:55 PM
I can't believe the women have another injury. Every time I read threads for WBB, which I admittedly don't do that often, it's either tractors or injuries.

Thankfully, they're not tractor injuries. They can be life-threatening. (Absolutely not minimizing our 2 most recent injuries. That really sucks.)

-bdbd
03-19-2017, 01:14 AM
An angry Maryland team awaits us in the sweet sixteen match up.

Isn't that sort-of an oxymoron??!
MD = Always angry (and insecure)

chrishoke
03-19-2017, 07:58 AM
"Kyra is out for a long time," Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said.

:mad:

Gargoyle
03-19-2017, 08:53 AM
Here is the link about Kyra's injury from Fox Sports

http://www.foxsports.com/womens-college-basketball/story/duke-regroups-for-oregon-without-key-player-031917

This is the fifth time Duke has suffered late season injuries which have adversely affected the team's chances in the Tournament. Doesn't seem fair.

jimsumner
03-19-2017, 12:02 PM
"Kyra is out for a long time," Duke coach Joanne P. McCallie said t:mad:

McCallie also said that Primm has a lower-leg issue that will have to be dealt with after the season. Primm had a lower leg wrapped in ice and didn't play down the stretch. McCallie said Duke was being proactive with Primm's injury and that Primm should be available Monday night.

So, that leaves eight, with Lambert, Belton, Gorecki, Schubert and Roma on the sidelines.

Duke can beat Oregon without Lambert but after that it gets tougher. The key is to keep Brown and Greenwell out of foul trouble and on the floor as much as possible. Duke will need 75 or so mpg from the duo from here on out.

Odom isn't likely to have her way against the Ducks the way she did against 5-11 MEAC posts. But 15 and seven seems doable. And needed.

Two ways to adjust. One is to go big, with Brown, Greenwell and Odom on the wings, Cooper and Chidom starting inside.

The second way is to plug in Primm for Lambert, leaving Greenwell at the 3 and Odom at the 4. I suspect P will opt for with the first option, given that Primm might not be able to play major minutes.

Be nice if Faith Suggs could find that long-rumored shooting stroke, last seen in high school. Some offense off the bench would be useful.

Tip-off at 6:30.

Lambert? The feeling after the game last night was that she could be looking at a long rehab. Back in 2018-'19, hopefully.

it's weird being around a team coming off a 60-point win and feeling down about it. But Lambert is a big loss. A big one.

Kedsy
03-19-2017, 02:49 PM
Lambert? The feeling after the game last night was that she could be looking at a long rehab. Back in 2018-'19, hopefully.

Seriously, 2018-19? As in, she'll miss the entirety of next season? And that's the hopeful outlook?

I thought maybe we could have a season without losing a top-tier starter to injury, I figured we'd paid way more than our dues already the past several seasons, but I guess not. So upsetting.

And I agree with Jim that Kyra is a huge loss. Obviously losing Lexie or Becca would have been a bigger loss, but over the course of the season I'd come to the conclusion that Kyra was the unsung hero of the team, the player that made everything work for everyone else. Just devastating for DWB.

jimsumner
03-19-2017, 03:01 PM
Seriously, 2018-19? As in, she'll miss the entirety of next season? And that's the hopeful outlook?

I thought maybe we could have a season without losing a top-tier starter to injury, I figured we'd paid way more than our dues already the past several seasons, but I guess not. So upsetting.

And I agree with Jim that Kyra is a huge loss. Obviously losing Lexie or Becca would have been a bigger loss, but over the course of the season I'd come to the conclusion that Kyra was the unsung hero of the team, the player that made everything work for everyone else. Just devastating for DWB.

Too early to tell for sure. But the operative words last night were "a long time." Still waiting for official word but it's not unusual for an ACL injury to require a sufficiently long rehab to imperil the following season. Rebecca Greenwell, Alexis Jones, Amber Henson, Lynee Belton, et. al. Look at Jabari Parker.

I hope I'm wrong. Really hope I'm wrong. But combining what I saw last night, what I heard last night and what I know about ACL injuries in female athletes, I'm not expecting to see Lambert in a Duke uniform until next calendar year at the earliest.

burnspbesq
03-20-2017, 02:36 AM
Given the nature of the contact and the axis of force through the joint, I'm thinking it may be LCL rather than ACL. We'll know soon enough.