PDA

View Full Version : And don't forget the CBI and CIT

Reilly
03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
CBI

CBI – in its 10th year, will feature “re-bracketing” before semis, and of course the best-of-three finals format:

http://www.gazellegroup.com/main/cbi/2017-cbi-field-announced-sunday/

Coastal Carolina, Hampton, UIC, and Utah Valley all in with losing overall records.

CIT

CIT using the old NIT model of no set bracket. 26 teams, apparently, with play beginning tonight:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_CollegeInsider.com_Postseason_Tournament

Reilly
03-13-2017, 01:21 PM
The CIT is labeling certain of its first round games after coaches: the Hugh Durham classic, the John McClendon classic, the Lou Henson classic, the Riley Wallace classic ...

http://www.collegeinsider.com/tournament/schedule-results.php

The ACC has to run with this and call the Tuesday afternoon game when the tourney is in Greensboro "the Jim Boeheim classic" ...

throatybeard
03-13-2017, 03:30 PM
Those guys are all really lucky that Dean Smith invented the sport.

Olympic Fan
03-13-2017, 03:33 PM
Frankly, I give these tournaments NO attention whatsoever.

These are buy-your-way in events. Any team willing to put up the money can gain entry.

The ACC has a gentlemen's agree not to participate in such an event.

TKG
03-13-2017, 03:34 PM
Those guys are all really lucky that Dean Smith invented the sport.

I thought he created the earth, heavens and everything else before resting on the seventh day.

jimsumner
03-13-2017, 03:48 PM

These are buy-your-way in events. Any team willing to put up the money can gain entry.

This.

The NIT is legit. These other two could drop off the face of the planet and no one would notice.

SCMatt33
03-13-2017, 03:59 PM

I agree with this sentiment about the CBI, but I treat the CIT differently. The CIT purposefully does not invite teams from the power leagues. There are 350+ teams in D1 and only 100 get to play in the NCAA or NIT. If you belong to one of the bottom 15 or so conferences in D1, you have no path to either without winning your conference regular season or tournament. I'm all for giving these kids a shot at a postseason experience. If there's not enough interest from the public to support it financially, I have no problem with the school paying to let their kids get that experience.

Reilly
03-13-2017, 04:09 PM
And apparently the Vegas 16 (which only had 8 teams last year in its first (last?) year of existence) will not be back in 2017, it was announced a couple days ago:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vegas_16

killerleft
03-13-2017, 04:18 PM
I thought he created the earth, heavens and everything else before resting on the seventh day.

Nope. He cheated on the seventh day.

SCMatt33
03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Nope. He cheated on the seventh day.

...and had his guys stand in four corners the other six.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
I agree with this sentiment about the CBI, but I treat the CIT differently. The CIT purposefully does not invite teams from the power leagues. There are 350+ teams in D1 and only 100 get to play in the NCAA or NIT. If you belong to one of the bottom 15 or so conferences in D1, you have no path to either without winning your conference regular season or tournament. I'm all for giving these kids a shot at a postseason experience. If there's not enough interest from the public to support it financially, I have no problem with the school paying to let their kids get that experience.

I just find it ironic that there are so many people who are really concerned about the academic experience of student-athletes, yet the schools are spending lots of money (since these events are likely money losers) to have kids travel to play in these games in empty gyms and miss a few days of school in the process. I recognize that many schools are on break now, but many are not, and these games are more clustered in the middle of the week, when there are actually classes, as opposed to closer to the weekend for the NCAA, when fewer classes will be missed. This concern does not apply to schools like UNC where classes are often not applicable.

Reilly
03-14-2017, 10:13 AM
Norfolk State falls to Liberty in the CIT.

Liberty is coached by Ritchie McKay, who was Seth's coach at Liberty, before a stint at UVa, and who is now back at Liberty.

chriso
03-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Norfolk State falls to Liberty in the CIT.

Liberty is coached by Ritchie McKay, who was Seth's coach at Liberty, before a stint at UVa, and who is now back at Liberty.

Indiana down 8 to Georgia Tech. Can't imagine the Hoosier faithful will be down with losing in the NIT first round. Hope NIT posts are okay. :)

jacone21
03-14-2017, 10:48 PM
I'm going to a CBI game at Hanner Fieldhouse on the beautiful campus of Georgia Southern University tomorrow night. The Eagles are playing Utah Valley University. It's Spring Break and there are few students and absolutely no buzz on campus for this game and tournament. I'm expecting a really poor turnout. I would say look for me on TV, but there will be no TV coverage. The good news is that my ticket was only $10.

So be thankful. When the Grayson hate gets you down, or Duke's in a slump and you're worried about only getting a 5 seed, be thankful. Duke fans are really really lucky.

subzero02
03-14-2017, 10:58 PM

he created the flat earth, the one with four corners that was destroyed in the shot clock flood.

jacone21
03-15-2017, 07:05 PM
OMG! Chris Burgess is here! UVU assistant. Who knew?

tbyers11
03-15-2017, 07:10 PM
OMG! Chris Burgess is here! UVU assistant. Who knew?

Not I. That's pretty cool.

Think he would want to be our big man coach?

Ducks...

(totally not serious)

asbcheeks
03-15-2017, 10:33 PM

I attended the semis and finals of last year's CIT at Columbia (we live in the neighborhood and my wife is an alum). The gym was full both nights and when CU won, folks celebrated like they had won an NC. Pretty special couple of nights on Morningside Heights. Anyway, I'm sure the early round matchups can be somewhat uninspiring but IMO it's hard to be critical of a program wanting a chance at that kind of experience.