PDA

View Full Version : Contacting Coach K?

atoomer0881
03-13-2017, 01:05 PM
Apologize for the length of this post, but a little backstory first. In 1993, at the tender age of 9, my older brother became the first member of my family to become a Duke fan. Unfortunately, that means my household just missed out on witnessing the Laettner years live (and my mom to this day can't remember why exactly he became a Duke fan -- though he claims his best friend was one and that's why). Shortly thereafter, I did what any younger brother would do and also became a Duke fan to be just like my older bro. As for our youngest brother, let's just say as soon as he could talk he was saying "Let's Go Duke."

Since becoming Duke fans, we have not missed a single game (okay maybe one or two over the years, but we seriously will record and/or stream every single game). The three of us will watch the games together whenever we can. My parents don't understand why we can't just miss a game every now and then. We tell them they'll never understand. It's just in our blood. We have to watch them play. Also, our parents still find it slightly amusing seeing their grown children having to watch a game in our Duke jerseys (youngest brother has a Greg Paulus jersey, I have a Shelden Williams and Quinn Cook jersey, older brother has a Quinn Cook jersey with the Final Four patch).

Having grown up in NJ, we've had the privilege of attending many, many Duke games throughout the years whenever they come up north. In fact, since 2004, we have seen at least one game in person every single year. These have included some very fond memories (watching JJ score 19 of his 26 points in the 2nd half as Duke overcame a 10 point halftime deficit, beating Oklahoma at the Garden in 2004, witnessing Coach K's 903rd win at the Garden vs. Michigan St in the 2011 Champions Classic, getting to be there for Coach K's 1000th win at the Garden vs. St. John's in 2015, attending the Final Four and National Championship in Indy in 2015, and getting to witness our first ever game at Cameron Indoor Stadium last year in our ACC opener against Virginia Tech . However, they've also included a few unfortunate memories (watching Duke blow a 12 point halftime lead and giving up a last second three-pointer to Levance Fields to lose to Pittsburgh at the Garden in 2007, witnessing Kyrie "stub his toe" at the Izod Center vs. Butler in 2004, trekking down to DC last year for the ACC Tournament only to see Duke collapse in the 2nd half against Notre Dame, and watching Frank Mason III drill a last second shot to help Kansas upset us in the Champions Classic this year). Luckily, there have been way more positive memories than negative. We already have tickets to the Final Four in Phoenix for this year, so hoping to make a few more positive memories this year.

So this brings me to my [B]main question. My older brother is getting married in June (fun fact: his fiancee, who wasn't really into sports before they met, is such a die hard duke fan now that she can not only name every single player on the team with their positions, but her parents got her a Grayson Allen jersey for Christmas this year). My mother decided she really wants to write a letter to Coach K and the coaching staff telling them how much Duke has meant to our family and specifically, to her 3 sons. She thought she could include some pictures of us at different games all throughout the years. She was hoping, maybe if the letter got to them, then perhaps Coach K would be able to write a little note to my brother and his fiance wishing them luck on their upcoming marriage. I told her it's a longshot but wanted to ask this community: do you know if the team/Coach K ever responds to those kind of letters? I'd obviously have her send it after the Tournament ends. And if you do think there's any sort of chance of getting a response, where's the best place to send that letter? To the athletic department? Directly to Coach K? Email or snail mail? Part of what makes Duke so special is this community. Since joining this forum this year and becoming an Iron Duke, I've felt more connected than ever to this program. It's truly a special place. So I just wanted to thank you all. Any help would be truly appreciated! Thanks!!!

BLPOG
03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
Apologize for the length of this post, but a little backstory first. In 1993, at the tender age of 9, my older brother became the first member of my family to become a Duke fan. Unfortunately, that means my household just missed out on witnessing the Laettner years live (and my mom to this day can't remember why exactly he became a Duke fan -- though he claims his best friend was one and that's why). Shortly thereafter, I did what any younger brother would do and also became a Duke fan to be just like my older bro. As for our youngest brother, let's just say as soon as he could talk he was saying "Let's Go Duke."

Since becoming Duke fans, we have not missed a single game (okay maybe one or two over the years, but we seriously will record and/or stream every single game). The three of us will watch the games together whenever we can. My parents don't understand why we can't just miss a game every now and then. We tell them they'll never understand. It's just in our blood. We have to watch them play. Also, our parents still find it slightly amusing seeing their grown children having to watch a game in our Duke jerseys (youngest brother has a Greg Paulus jersey, I have a Shelden Williams and Quinn Cook jersey, older brother has a Quinn Cook jersey with the Final Four patch).

Having grown up in NJ, we've had the privilege of attending many, many Duke games throughout the years whenever they come up north. In fact, since 2004, we have seen at least one game in person every single year. These have included some very fond memories (watching JJ score 19 of his 26 points in the 2nd half as Duke overcame a 10 point halftime deficit, beating Oklahoma at the Garden in 2004, witnessing Coach K's 903rd win at the Garden vs. Michigan St in the 2011 Champions Classic, getting to be there for Coach K's 1000th win at the Garden vs. St. John's in 2015, attending the Final Four and National Championship in Indy in 2015, and getting to witness our first ever game at Cameron Indoor Stadium last year in our ACC opener against Virginia Tech . However, they've also included a few unfortunate memories (watching Duke blow a 12 point halftime lead and giving up a last second three-pointer to Levance Fields to lose to Pittsburgh at the Garden in 2007, witnessing Kyrie "stub his toe" at the Izod Center vs. Butler in 2004, trekking down to DC last year for the ACC Tournament only to see Duke collapse in the 2nd half against Notre Dame, and watching Frank Mason III drill a last second shot to help Kansas upset us in the Champions Classic this year). Luckily, there have been way more positive memories than negative. We already have tickets to the Final Four in Phoenix for this year, so hoping to make a few more positive memories this year.

So this brings me to my [B]main question. My older brother is getting married in June (fun fact: his fiancee, who wasn't really into sports before they met, is such a die hard duke fan now that she can not only name every single player on the team with their positions, but her parents got her a Grayson Allen jersey for Christmas this year). My mother decided she really wants to write a letter to Coach K and the coaching staff telling them how much Duke has meant to our family and specifically, to her 3 sons. She thought she could include some pictures of us at different games all throughout the years. She was hoping, maybe if the letter got to them, then perhaps Coach K would be able to write a little note to my brother and his fiance wishing them luck on their upcoming marriage. I told her it's a longshot but wanted to ask this community: do you know if the team/Coach K ever responds to those kind of letters? I'd obviously have her send it after the Tournament ends. And if you do think there's any sort of chance of getting a response, where's the best place to send that letter? To the athletic department? Directly to Coach K? Email or snail mail? Part of what makes Duke so special is this community. Since joining this forum this year and becoming an Iron Duke, I've felt more connected than ever to this program. It's truly a special place. So I just wanted to thank you all. Any help would be truly appreciated! Thanks!!!

I'm not sure of the best method to send it, but I can tell you that yes, he does respond to (some) letters. The example I know of from personal experience was from about 13 years ago and via snail mail, but I'd say give it a shot.

Olympic Fan
03-13-2017, 03:25 PM
He does sometime respond to letters, but for a more immediate response, I'd go through Mike Cragg or Jon Jackson. They both work pretty directly with K.

Their e-mails are listed on the goduke website ...

fisheyes
03-13-2017, 03:30 PM
You might want to wait until April 4th!

;)

atoomer0881
03-13-2017, 03:43 PM
I'm not sure of the best method to send it, but I can tell you that yes, he does respond to (some) letters. The example I know of from personal experience was from about 13 years ago and via snail mail, but I'd say give it a shot.

I'm glad to know you have personal experience that he does respond sometimes. Hopefully my mother will be able to get a response for this!

He does sometime respond to letters, but for a more immediate response, I'd go through Mike Cragg or Jon Jackson. They both work pretty directly with K.

Their e-mails are listed on the goduke website ...

Thank you so much for this information! I will have email Mike Cragg and/or Jon Jackson, but I will wait until the tournament is over before doing so.

You might want to wait until April 4th!

;)

And yes, definitely waiting until after April 4th. Especially since I'll be in Phoenix before then hopefully watching Duke play. Thank you so much for all the help you guys. Again, yet another reason why this community rocks!

Flyers52
03-13-2017, 04:26 PM
My brother sent K a Birthday card to sign for me, for my birthday last year. K signed, and included a nice little note. From what I understand, it was a rather quick turnaround time too.

Worth a shot.

atoomer0881
03-13-2017, 04:28 PM
My brother sent K a Birthday card to sign for me, for my birthday last year. K signed, and included a nice little note. From what I understand, it was a rather quick turnaround time too.

Worth a shot.

Perhaps it won't be as much of a long shot as I told my mother it'd be haha. It's so nice to hear how Coach K takes the time to do things like that. Yet another reason why he's the GOAT. Definitely going to wait until after the Tournament, but definitely going to give this a shot!

Mike Corey
03-13-2017, 04:34 PM
If you can wait until after the tournament, I'd recommend that.

But yes, Coach loves this stuff. Just not now. :)

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 04:41 PM

Do you think that there is something else on his mind?😇😉😎

atoomer0881
03-13-2017, 04:43 PM
If you can wait until after the tournament, I'd recommend that.

Yea definitely waiting until afterwards. For now, I'm busy hoping that they can get to NY for the Sweet 16/Elite 8 so we can try and see them play up here (for the 5th and 6th time this year) and then like I said, we're going to Phoenix for the Final Four (in fact it's a 25th bday surprise for our younger brother, and a pre-wedding gift surprise for my older brother's fiance) so as much as I want Duke to make it to the Final Four for Duke's sake, a small part of me is being selfish and wants them to make it for my younger brother's and future sister-in-law's sake so they can have the opportunity to see what my older brother and I saw 2 years ago in Indy. Plus that'd make it possibly 8 times I got to see them this year, which would be pretty unreal! So fingers crossed! Let's go Duke!!!

mailman2927
03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
contact his secretary, gerry brown. i was paralyzed in 2002 and friends contacted her and coach k. sent me autographed pictures. i emailed him a thank you note through gerry and he responded by inviting me to a game at cameron leaving 3 tix for me, my wife, and my brother. i've kept in contact with him ever since and he never fails to respond. i sent him a gift for win 903 (if you watched the espn special the camera zoomed in on it twice, it was a blue and white plaque that said, coach k 903). he responded by sending me a duke golf shirt, a duke coaching folder, a duke t-shirt, and a handwritten note. i also sent him a gift when he won number 1000. this time, he sent me two autographed pictures, each with a personal note. each time i communicated with gerry brown to make sure things got to the right place and she was very helpful. good luck, i'm sure he'll respond. just give him some time after the season.

KenTankerous
03-13-2017, 07:28 PM
At the time I reached out to Coach K, I was a Kentucky fan, in love with a Dukie and had just taken her to a game at Cameron. Coach not only responded but sent me a signed copy of "Five Point Play".

To a KENTUCKY fan!

I'd say your chances are pretty good...

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 07:58 PM
At the time I reached out to Coach K, I was a Kentucky fan, in love with a Dukie and had just taken her to a game at Cameron. Coach not only responded but sent me a signed copy of "Five Point Play".

To a KENTUCKY fan!

You learned that K never stops recruiting.😇😎

Mike Corey
03-13-2017, 09:23 PM

To a KENTUCKY fan!

I just can't believe K sent a book to a Kentucky fan.

https://media.giphy.com/media/L9E28br6rFvYk/giphy.gif

Furniture
03-13-2017, 09:27 PM
My wife contacted him for an autographed photo for xmas present. She or rather I got one!

atoomer0881
03-13-2017, 10:06 PM
contact his secretary, gerry brown. i was paralyzed in 2002 and friends contacted her and coach k. sent me autographed pictures. i emailed him a thank you note through gerry and he responded by inviting me to a game at cameron leaving 3 tix for me, my wife, and my brother. i've kept in contact with him ever since and he never fails to respond. i sent him a gift for win 903 (if you watched the espn special the camera zoomed in on it twice, it was a blue and white plaque that said, coach k 903). he responded by sending me a duke golf shirt, a duke coaching folder, a duke t-shirt, and a handwritten note. i also sent him a gift when he won number 1000. this time, he sent me two autographed pictures, each with a personal note. each time i communicated with gerry brown to make sure things got to the right place and she was very helpful. good luck, i'm sure he'll respond. just give him some time after the season.

This is so amazing. I know it was 15 years ago at this point but I'm sorry to hear you were paralyzed in 2002. How amazing that Coach K has taken the time to stay in touch with you. I will for sure contact his secretary Gerry Brown. Thank you so much for the feedback and help. Hopefully he'll be as responsive to me as he was to you!

To a KENTUCKY fan!

This is good to know, even if you were a Kentucky fan. I'd like to think the operative word is was. It's nice to know you've smartened up since then haha

My wife contacted him for an autographed photo for xmas present. She or rather I got one!

It seems like Coach K really takes the time to respond to people which is awesome. That's so awesome.

atoomer0881
05-08-2017, 11:13 AM

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH for suggesting I reach out to Gerry Brown. A week and a half ago, I emailed her with a copy of the letter I helped my parents write to Coach K, to see if somehow Coach could write something to my brother and his fiancé for their wedding next month. Well this weekend, my parents received in the mail something from Coach, signed by him, wishing the happy couple well on their upcoming nuptials. And without even asking, he also included a personalized thing for my younger brother and me, signed by him as well. It is incredible that right in the thick of recruiting, he took the time to reach out to three life-long fans. It's what makes him such a special coach. And thank you to everyone on here who took the time to respond to me in order to help me figure out the best way to get in touch with Coach. This will certainly be a wedding gift my brother will never forget!!!!

Forever grateful,
Brian

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-08-2017, 11:31 AM
I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH for suggesting I reach out to Gerry Brown. A week and a half ago, I emailed her with a copy of the letter I helped my parents write to Coach K, to see if somehow Coach could write something to my brother and his fiancé for their wedding next month. Well this weekend, my parents received in the mail something from Coach, signed by him, wishing the happy couple well on their upcoming nuptials. And without even asking, he also included a personalized thing for my younger brother and me, signed by him as well. It is incredible that right in the thick of recruiting, he took the time to reach out to three life-long fans. It's what makes him such a special coach. And thank you to everyone on here who took the time to respond to me in order to help me figure out the best way to get in touch with Coach. This will certainly be a wedding gift my brother will never forget!!!!

Forever grateful,
Brian

Great story! Thanks for the follow up.

Clay Feet POF
05-08-2017, 11:38 AM

Forever grateful,
Brian

Another Feel Good moment, can never have enough of those.

atoomer0881
05-08-2017, 11:51 AM
Great story! Thanks for the follow up.

Of course! As soon as my parents told me they received it, my first thought was that I wanted you all to know!

Another Feel Good moment, can never have enough of those.

Completely agree! It's times like these where I really feel grateful being a part of this community!

Indoor66
05-08-2017, 11:53 AM
Character is doing what is right when no one is looking. J. C. Watts

mailman2927
05-08-2017, 12:45 PM
Of course! As soon as my parents told me they received it, my first thought was that I wanted you all to know!

Completely agree! It's times like these where I really feel grateful being a part of this community!

Glad everything worked out.

duke79
05-08-2017, 02:57 PM

Forever grateful,
Brian

Thanks for posting this update! And glad Coach K could make you AND your brother happy! He's a class act.

Best wishes to your brother and his fiancee! Hope they have great (and fun) wedding. Let us know how the "Coach K" gift goes over?

lotusland
05-08-2017, 06:43 PM
I thought DBR was the best method to reach Coach K. That's why post my coaching tips here:).

weezie
05-08-2017, 08:52 PM
I thought DBR was the best method to reach Coach K. That's why post my coaching tips here:).

Hahahahaha, thanks for the laugh!

atoomer0881
06-15-2017, 07:43 PM
So two weeks ago was the wedding and the gift was presented!!!! Below is a video of my younger brother and I presenting it to the bride and groom. As expected, they LOVED IT. In fact, even my uncle/aunt/cousins who live in MD and went to UMD (and hate Duke) loved it. Everyone thought it was an amazing gift and couldn't believe Coach K would do that. And while I am so thankful to him obviously, I also again wanted to say how thankful I was to all of you who helped point me in the right direction. This forum is just so amazing. So thanks again everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frvpOl8sfCg

BLPOG
06-16-2017, 08:51 AM
So two weeks ago was the wedding and the gift was presented!!!! Below is a video of my younger brother and I presenting it to the bride and groom. As expected, they LOVED IT. In fact, even my uncle/aunt/cousins who live in MD and went to UMD (and hate Duke) loved it. Everyone thought it was an amazing gift and couldn't believe Coach K would do that. And while I am so thankful to him obviously, I also again wanted to say how thankful I was to all of you who helped point me in the right direction. This forum is just so amazing. So thanks again everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frvpOl8sfCg

So DBR gets credit for the assist?

You should forward that video on to Coach K.

atoomer0881
06-16-2017, 10:24 AM
So DBR gets credit for the assist?

You should forward that video on to Coach K.

I think DBR gets the assist, the hockey assist, and perhaps a 1/3 of the credit? Seriously though, without y'all, I never would have even known it was even possible to contact Coach. It's been 2 weeks since the wedding, and people are still coming to me and asking how the heck I managed to pull this off -- and each and every time I start out with "Well, I'm a member of the Duke Basketball Report forum..."

You know what, I think I will send that video to Coach! Thanks for another brilliant idea :-)

duke79
06-16-2017, 11:10 AM
I think DBR gets the assist, the hockey assist, and perhaps a 1/3 of the credit? Seriously though, without y'all, I never would have even known it was even possible to contact Coach. It's been 2 weeks since the wedding, and people are still coming to me and asking how the heck I managed to pull this off -- and each and every time I start out with "Well, I'm a member of the Duke Basketball Report forum..."

You know what, I think I will send that video to Coach! Thanks for another brilliant idea :-)

Thanks so MUCH for posting the video! I loved it....and it was great to see the reaction of your brother, his bride and the entire crowd. Truly priceless. I'm happy they liked (or loved?) the gift. Very thoughtful of you and I'm glad Coach K (and this Board) came through for you. As I said before, I know there are a lot of people in the world who like to trash Duke and Coach K, but, from everything I heard, he is a very thoughtful and generous person to large numbers of people, many of whom have no direct connection to Duke or that he doesn't know. It speaks volumes about what type of person he is. Glad the wedding went well and congrats to your brother and his bride!

PS. I'm sure Coach K would love to see the video.