PDA

View Full Version : What is/are your big first round upsets in 2017?

Wander
03-13-2017, 12:57 PM
My traditional thread every year - which team(s) seeded 13 or greater will win a game? Nearly every year, there's at least one.

Wander
03-13-2017, 01:05 PM
My picks:

Usually, my strategy is to find low-major teams with NBA talent, which has successfully led to picks of Georgia State over Baylor and Morehead State over Louisville (and could have led to Lehigh over Duke, though I couldn't bring myself to pick that one). But I can't really find any low-major tournament teams with guys who are seriously projected on NBA boards this year. So instead, I focused on the high major teams that have big injuries and picked Florida and Oregon to lose.

kAzE
03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
There's no way I would ever pick it, but Northern Kentucky over UK would be the greatest thing ever. The Norse only just became eligible for the tournament this year, and they have an awesome looking viking mascot. Probably their whole team dreamed of playing college basketball at UK.

Go Norse!!

TexHawk
03-13-2017, 01:43 PM
Usually, my strategy is to find low-major teams with NBA talent, which has successfully led to picks of Georgia State over Baylor and Morehead State over Louisville (and could have led to Lehigh over Duke, though I couldn't bring myself to pick that one). But I can't really find any low-major tournament teams with guys who are seriously projected on NBA boards this year.

I like that strategy.

Nevada has a couple guys who average between 16 and 20, who should get looks late 1st, early 2nd. Oliver scores a little less, but he's just a sophomore at 6'8" 225, so he's on the NBA's radar.

DallasDevil
03-15-2017, 04:11 PM
I like that strategy.

Nevada has a couple guys who average between 16 and 20, who should get looks late 1st, early 2nd. Oliver scores a little less, but he's just a sophomore at 6'8" 225, so he's on the NBA's radar.

If you think the time is ripe for a 16 seed to upset a 1 seed and want to apply the strategy there, South Dakota State's Mike Daum has been getting some NBA buzz: http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/how-south-dakota-states-mike-daum-went-from-off-the-map-to-on-nba-radars/

Daum went for 37 and 12 in the Summit League championship game, and scored 51 points in a game last month.

FerryFor50
03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
My picks:

Usually, my strategy is to find low-major teams with NBA talent, which has successfully led to picks of Georgia State over Baylor and Morehead State over Louisville (and could have led to Lehigh over Duke, though I couldn't bring myself to pick that one). But I can't really find any low-major tournament teams with guys who are seriously projected on NBA boards this year. So instead, I focused on the high major teams that have big injuries and picked Florida and Oregon to lose.

I agree with the Florida notion, but Oregon's got more than enough talent to overcome the Boucher injury to at least win the first game, IMO.

Wander
03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
Some bold picks by proelitedota...

proelitedota
03-15-2017, 04:20 PM
Some bold picks by proelitedota...

Just doing my part to negate the bad karma.

jipops
03-15-2017, 04:40 PM
There's no way I would ever pick it, but Northern Kentucky over UK would be the greatest thing ever. The Norse only just became eligible for the tournament this year, and they have an awesome looking viking mascot. Probably their whole team dreamed of playing college basketball at UK.

Go Norse!!

Not as great as Texas Southern over the cheats. But that has zero chance of happening.

Ky-Dukie
03-16-2017, 11:32 AM

Go Norse!!

This would possibly be the best ever ! I live about 40 mins from NKU, and my wife is NKU alumi. One of the restaurant owners said if NKU wins he will buy every student and alumni a steak dinner. I think if they're within 20 or 25 points they did good but for the uk crap I hear it would be awesome to have NKU win.

Channing
03-16-2017, 11:35 AM
Minnesota over MTSU

Troublemaker
03-16-2017, 11:46 AM
Minnesota over MTSU

So true.

Other upsets, based on how trendy they have been being picked against: FSU over FGCU and Fla over ETSU. Dayton over Wichita St.

gocanes0506
03-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Iona over Oregon. Oregon is trending down and Iona up.

Faustus
03-16-2017, 11:50 AM
Not as great as Texas Southern over the cheats. But that has zero chance of happening.

Actually, the crawl across the bottom of the ESPN screen keeps saying Texas Southern has I believe it was a 4% chance of winning. 4%--- one can always hope.

Wander
03-16-2017, 11:53 AM
Minnesota over MTSU

Haha... note that unlike ETSU over Florida and FGCU over FSU, Minnesota is actually an underdog in Vegas.

DukieInKansas
03-16-2017, 11:54 AM
Whoever is playing against Villanova, UNC, and Gonzaga. I really pull hard for a 16 to upset a 1 when Duke isn't a 1. If it is going to happen, I just don't want it to be to Duke or Kansas. (Hey, I have to live with these people. :D)

Olympic Fan
03-16-2017, 11:59 AM
Minnesota over MTSU

There are upset and there are seeding errors. For instance, No. 10 Wichita State is favored by six points over No. 7 Dayton.

No. 12 MTSU is a one-point favorite over No. 5 Minnesota.

For the life of me, I can't understand how Minnesota is a 5 ... and Wisconsin is an 8. Wisconsin has a better record, a better RPI, a better Pomeroy, a better Sagarin -- and won two games head-to-head against Minnesota.

So is it an upset if they lose to Middle Tennessee?

Two upsets I warn you against -- UNC Wilmigton vs. Virginia (UNCW coach Kevin Keats is a Rick Pitino disciple -- and we all know Virginia owns Pitino); and Florida Gulf Coast over FSU ... this is not the FGCU we saw two years ago. This FGCU team has beaten one top 100 team all year (UT Arlington). They haven't beaten a top 200 team in the last month. FSU will kill them.

CDu
03-16-2017, 01:39 PM
I would have gone with "none" if I could have done so in time. I don't see any of the 13+ seeds getting it done this year.

CDu
03-18-2017, 08:14 AM
And none it is.

chriso
03-18-2017, 10:22 AM
I'm still looking for it but somewhere on here I called USC over SMU. I'm not right very often but when I am I:cool:'m gonna do some gloating...

Wander
03-18-2017, 10:29 AM
What a boring tournament so far.

CDu
03-18-2017, 10:31 AM
What a boring tournament so far.

This should make for a much better second weekend.

Troublemaker
03-18-2017, 10:35 AM
The lack of upsets so far almost guarantees that MTSU will beat Butler today.

Hey, some team has to make the cover of Sports Illustrated next week, right?