PDA

View Full Version : This Week in the ACC: 3/13-19

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 11:14 PM
It's tournament time! Activity for 12 ACC teams in the coming week, but first, farewell to NC State, Pittsburgh, and Boston College - we'll see you next year (with or without your current coaches). For the NCAA, I'm presenting potential second round matchups assuming the ACC team wins, but of course, no games past the first ones are guaranteed.

This will be updated as play develops and subsequent dates/matchups are set.

Monday is dark - the college basketball world gears up for the postseason.

Tuesday

[30]Wake Forest vs. [29]Kansas State in Dayton (9:10, truTV)
[50]Syracuse hosts [120]UNC-Greensboro (7:00, ESPN)
[35]Clemson hosts [109]Oakland (8:00, ESPNU)
[82]Georgia Tech hosts [42]Indiana (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday is dark

Thursday

[25]Notre Dame vs. [59]Princeton in Buffalo (12:15, CBS)
[7]Virginia vs. [60]UNC-Wilmington in Orlando (12:40, truTV)
[19]Florida State vs. [108]Florida Gulf Coast in Orlando (9:20, TNT)
[44]Virginia Tech vs. [23]Wisconsin in Buffalo (9:40, CBS)

Friday

[6]Louisville vs. [158]Jacksonville State in Indianapolis (2:45, CBS)
[3]North Carolina vs. [207]Texas Southern in Greenville (4:00, TNT)
[12]Duke vs. [130]Troy in Greenville (7:20, TBS)
[30]Wake Forest* vs. [22]Cincinnati in Sacramento (7:27, truTV)
[32]Miami vs. [43]Michigan State in Tulsa (9:20, TNT)

Saturday

[25]Notre Dame* vs. [5]West Virginia/[80]Bucknell in Buffalo
[7]Virginia* vs. [9]Florida/[64]East Tennessee State in Orlando
[19]Florida State* vs. [45]Maryland/[40]Xavier in Orlando
[44]Virginia Tech* vs. [2]Villanova/[178]New Orleans/[213]Mount St. Mary's in Buffalo

Sunday

[6]Louisville* vs. [21]Michigan/[24]Oklahoma State in Indianapolis
[3]North Carolina* vs. [38]Arkansas/[53]Seton Hall in Greenville
[12]Duke* vs. [31]South Carolina/[28]Marquette in Greenville
[30]Wake Forest* vs. [18]UCLA/[141]Kent State in Sacramento
[32]Miami* vs. [10]Kansas/[152]North Carolina Central/[218]UC-Davis in Tulsa

Troublemaker
03-13-2017, 05:35 PM
Wanted to put this news here. (It may have already been covered on the DBR front page at some point).

Ky Bowman did NOT suffer an ACL tear in the ACC tournament.

Bowman will have minor surgery to repair cartilage (http://www.bcinterruption.com/2017/3/9/14876180/reports-ky-bowman-to-have-minor-surgery-on-knee) and be out about 2 months.

Doesn't affect the ACC this season anymore, obviously, but huge news for BC for next season. Bowman was one of my favorite frosh this season. Looks to be a future stud.

Olympic Fan
03-13-2017, 07:07 PM
The thing about the schedule that caught me by surprise was that Georgia Tech is hosting Indiana.

Not sure why -- as the No. 3 seed, Indiana should have the home game with No. 6 Tech. I think it makes a big difference. Georgia Tech didn't beat anybody any good on the road, but had some very good wins at home. They can beat Indiana in the McCamish Center.

Tuesday night will be an interesting appetizer -- three ACC teams host NIT games and Wake meets Kansas State in Dayton. That's a real good play-in game.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 07:16 PM
The thing about the schedule that caught me by surprise was that Georgia Tech is hosting Indiana.

Not sure why -- as the No. 3 seed, Indiana should have the home game with No. 6 Tech. I think it makes a big difference. Georgia Tech didn't beat anybody any good on the road, but had some very good wins at home. They can beat Indiana in the McCamish Center.

Tuesday night will be an interesting appetizer -- three ACC teams host NIT games and Wake meets Kansas State in Dayton. That's a real good play-in game.

Indiana said that Assembly Hall was being renovated and was unavailable.

jhmoss1812
03-13-2017, 07:16 PM

I heard it's because Indiana is doing renovations to Assembly Hall.

pfrduke
03-13-2017, 07:24 PM
I heard it's because Indiana is doing renovations to Assembly Hall.

There's some speculation in the NIT thread that this was a convenient explanation for an Indiana team that was concerned about turnout.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 07:26 PM
There's some speculation in the NIT thread that this was a convenient explanation for an Indiana team that was concerned about turnout.

Or the boo-birds if they lose.

TruBlu
03-13-2017, 08:30 PM
Josh Pastner has reportedly offered to buy tickets for any Ga Tech students who want to attend the game against Indiana.

That's one way to insure that there aren't too many empty seat.

Props to coach Pastner.

BandAlum83
03-13-2017, 11:55 PM
Josh Pastner has reportedly offered to buy tickets for any Ga Tech students who want to attend the game against Indiana.

That's one way to insure that there aren't too many empty seat.

Props to coach Pastner.

I'd go! But I don't think I would pass.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2017, 07:23 AM
I'd go! But I don't think I would pass.

You sound more like a "scoring first" point guard.

Olympic Fan
03-14-2017, 03:04 PM
One schedule change:

Because of the storm due to hit the NE (including upstate New York) tonight, the Greensboro at Syracuse game has been postponed until Wednesday at 7 p.m.

That wouldn't have been necessary if the game were played in Greensboro!

brevity
03-14-2017, 07:45 PM
Not sure if this should go here or the NCAA South Regional thread...

Wake Forest plays Kansas State tonight in Dayton on TruTV. "Oh yeah, that channel," you say. "Where is that again?"

Go to this Channel Finder page (http://www.trutv.com/funnycauseitstru/index.html) on TruTV's site and enter your zip code. There's also a TruTV app to watch games, but you might be better off with the NCAA app.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 07:51 PM
Not sure if this should go here or the NCAA South Regional thread...

Wake Forest plays Kansas State tonight in Dayton on TruTV. "Oh yeah, that channel," you say. "Where is that again?"

Go to this Channel Finder page (http://www.trutv.com/funnycauseitstru/index.html) on TruTV's site and enter your zip code. There's also a TruTV app to watch games, but you might be better off with the NCAA app.

I'll be watching on my microwave, "defrost frozen meat" setting.

Reilly
03-14-2017, 08:03 PM

You do know that if you leave it out on the counter for just 20 minutes, it'll cook much better.

duketaylor
03-14-2017, 08:13 PM
"Indiana said that Assembly Hall was being renovated and was unavailable." As was alluded to upthread, there's concern of poor turnout if the game were played at IU, being spring break and a down year for IU hoops. Kinda sad if you ask me. So was said on a nationally syndicated talk radio show today. Rough times at IU.:cool:

Olympic Fan
03-14-2017, 10:12 PM
Incredible choke job by Clemson tonight in their NIT opener.

Playing at home, against an Oakland team that was without its best player, Clemson built a 20-point lead early in the second half.

I'm not sure what happened next. I think an NBA audition broke out for the Tigers. Crazy stuff -- Eljjah Thomas launching 3s, Reed dominating the ball. Blossomgame, who was killing, never saw the ball ... and Clemson stopped playing defense. I have no idea what Brownell was doing to let that stuff go on.

Oakland came back and won ...

-jk
03-14-2017, 10:16 PM

Playing at home, against an Oakland team that was without its best player, Clemson built a 20-point lead early in the second half.

I'm not sure what happened next. I think an NBA audition broke out for the Tigers. Crazy stuff -- Eljjah Thomas launching 3s, Reed dominating the ball. Blossomgame, who was killing, never saw the ball ... and Clemson stopped playing defense. I have no idea what Brownell was doing to let that stuff go on.

Oops...

(Clemson always seems to find novel ways to lose. Dagnabit!)

-jk

devildeac
03-14-2017, 10:25 PM

Giving further evidence to the term "clemsoning."

(sorry, elvis14 :()

rsvman
03-14-2017, 11:53 PM
And, down goes Wake, too.

SlapTheFloor
03-15-2017, 01:58 AM
Hope this doesn't bode poorly for the rest of the conference. Well, except for UNC.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-15-2017, 06:40 AM

Careful, these days your microwave may be watching you instead... according to some.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 10:30 AM
Hope this doesn't bode poorly for the rest of the conference. Well, except for UNC.

Not a great postseason start -- losing Clemson at home to Oakland and Wake losing to K-State in the NCAA play-in game

But Georgia Tech, down one at the half, dominated Indiana in the second half and won going away. Great atmosphere in Atlanta. The announcers said Pastner paid $16,000 out of his own pocket to buy tickets for the students.

One ACC team in action tonight -- in a snow delayed game. I wouldn't mind seeing Syracuse losing to UNC-Greensboro.

PS Clemson's loss was not the biggest NIT upset last night. No. 1 seed Cal lost at home to Cal-Bakersfield.

slower
03-15-2017, 12:19 PM
And, down goes Wake, too.
Good riddance. Can't stand those guys.

DukieInBrasil
03-15-2017, 12:43 PM
what was it about this year's Clemson team that made them lose so many games they could/should have won? giving up a 20 pt lead? wow, that is an impressive collapse. Yet another loss by 6 or fewer points.
I think it's more about a winning culture than anything. They're a perennially decent team, never great, seldom terrible, so they've never groomed a set of players who have the burning knowledge of how to win close games. That really hurt them this year.
They're gonna lose Blossomgame, but they ought to improve next year, if for no other reason than Brownell seems to know how to coach. It would have been immensely helpful if Grantham hadn't choked this entire season away.

Doria
03-15-2017, 02:45 PM
what was it about this year's Clemson team that made them lose so many games they could/should have won? giving up a 20 pt lead? wow, that is an impressive collapse. Yet another loss by 6 or fewer points.
I think it's more about a winning culture than anything. They're a perennially decent team, never great, seldom terrible, so they've never groomed a set of players who have the burning knowledge of how to win close games. That really hurt them this year.
They're gonna lose Blossomgame, but they ought to improve next year, if for no other reason than Brownell seems to know how to coach. It would have been immensely helpful if Grantham hadn't choked this entire season away.

Hey, many teams strive for that kind of consistency (except poor State)!

DarkstarWahoo
03-15-2017, 03:09 PM
But reports are that 1999 ACC Rookie of the Year Chris Williams, who might have been UVA's best player during the Pete Gillen era (give or take a Roger Mason), has passed away from a blood clot. Chris dragged a downtrodden UVA program to a degree of respectability it couldn't sustain and gave some great performances for some undermanned teams. He was a year ahead of me at UVA, and I dealt with him a few times for the student paper. I didn't know him well and he probably didn't even remember who I was, but he was exceptionally nice every time I spoke with him. RIP.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2017, 03:24 PM
Very sad to hear if true/confirmed.

jv001
03-15-2017, 03:32 PM
But reports are that 1999 ACC Rookie of the Year Chris Williams, who might have been UVA's best player during the Pete Gillen era (give or take a Roger Mason), has passed away from a blood clot. Chris dragged a downtrodden UVA program to a degree of respectability it couldn't sustain and gave some great performances for some undermanned teams. He was a year ahead of me at UVA, and I dealt with him a few times for the student paper. I didn't know him well and he probably didn't even remember who I was, but he was exceptionally nice every time I spoke with him. RIP.

Prayers for Chris' family. Thanks for the heads up. GoDuke and RIP Chris Williams.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 04:13 PM

I just got down here to Greenville and the last hour of so of the trip, I was listening to a sports talk show out of Greensville. They were debating Brad Brownell's future at Clemson.

I agree that he seems like a good coach, but after seven seasons, the results are not very good -- his only NCAA trip was his first year (with Purnell's players), when they got in the play-in game. Since then, six seasons with two NIT trips to show for it. His teams have finished T4, 7, 11, 6, T9, T7, 12.

I don't agree that they prospects for next season are all that better. They lose their best player (Blossomgame), their best 3-point shooter (Holmes) and their best defender/rebounder (Djitte). They do return Sheldon Mitchell, Elijah Thomas, Gabe DeVoe, Marcquise Reed and the disappointing Donte Grantham. No impact newcomers. Sorry, but that looks to me like a team that will be playing on Tuesday in next year's ACC Tournament.

I know Clemson is as tough job, but Purnell left with three straight NCAA appearances to his credit. Barnes went to three NCAAs in a row. Cliff Ellis had three NCAA trips in four years.

How much longer do you put up with Brownell's subpar seasons? Aren't seven such years enough? True, you may go out and hire a worse coach, but shouldn;t you aspire to more success than Brownell has brought?

Tripping William
03-15-2017, 04:30 PM
Speaking of Greenville, how safe am I in assuming that the South's 1/16 winner will play the 8/9 winner at 5:00 p.m. Eastern on Sunday, with the East's 2/15 winner and the 7/10 winner squaring off at approximately 7:30 p.m. Eastern? I'm getting those time slots (but not the participants, of course) from the NCAA's official tournament website (http://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-03-15/march-madness-2017-times-tv-schedule-live-streams-ncaa).

Hingeknocker
03-15-2017, 04:36 PM
How much longer do you put up with Brownell's subpar seasons? Aren't seven such years enough? True, you may go out and hire a worse coach, but shouldn;t you aspire to more success than Brownell has brought?

These are all great points, and I'm not sure what the answer is. Clemson was just a few bounces of the ball away from being a top-8 seed in the NCAA tournament this year, and then Brownell's resume looks a whole lot better. As it stands, he has the resume of a guy who is let go. The reason I think the answer is so difficult is that they're basically in no man's land, like an NBA team that always just barely misses the playoffs but doesn't draft high enough to infuse the team with talent.

I think the recruiting side of it would make the decision for me. If Brownell doesn't have horses coming in to get over the hump, you take the semi-solid foundation that he laid, and see if you can get the improvement from someone else. It's a risk, for sure.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 09:32 PM
Syracuse wins (dammitt). The Orange will play Ole Miss sometime between Mar. 16-20, presumably in the Carrier Dome.

Georgia Tech caught a break. Belmont upset Georgia. Had Georgia won, the Jackets would have to play the next round in Athens.

Now, Belmont will play at Georgia Tech (also between Mar, 16-20). That makes a big difference -- Georgia Tech (like Syracuse) is very much better at home.

FWIW, if Syracuse and Georgia Tech both win in the second round, they will meet each other -- in the Carrier Dome -- on Mar. 21 or 22.

That's the quarterfinal round, meaning one of them would be guaranteed a trip to Madison Square Garden for the semifinals.