PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Troy Pregame and In-Game Thread (3/17, 7:20 ET, TBS)

Pages : [1] 2

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 06:13 PM
Step one of six. Let's do this.

Reilly
03-12-2017, 06:48 PM
Duke and Troy played an entertaining FB game in 2013. Highlights of that game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psJMx35t4uU

gofurman
03-12-2017, 06:51 PM

This is what matters TROY. I looked at stats.. 8 guys play.. very UNC like in minutes - most starters run 30 minutes which I like. Take your best guys off the floor for us. Top scorers are a 6'6" guy and 6'2" and 6'3" guards. I like that better than a 6'0" guy that breaks ankles. I like bigger guards like Notre Dame.

Now maybe they spread you with all those guards?? Maybe they drive and kick? Please inform me. But at least I don't see a 5'11" speedster based on height. But I may be wrong

Has anyone seen them play? 22-14 sounds easy (10-8 Sunbelt) but they have gotten hot./. 6 straight wins

They played top 25 USC and lost at USC by 5. I don't take anyone lightly - I am not going to directly mention the name of that team from Macon Georgia or some Engineers from PA etc. take NO ONE lightly

Troublemaker
03-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Troy is the highest-ranked 15-seed by KenPom. Screwed! ;)

Wander
03-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Kenpom says the thing they're best at is drawing fouls on offense, and the thing they're worst at is causing turnovers on defense.

Tripping William
03-12-2017, 06:54 PM
Anybody on their roster that profiles like CJ McCollum?

91devil
03-12-2017, 06:55 PM
I posted this note in the other thread. Watched a little of Troy in their Conference Championship game. They shoot a bunch of three-pointers. Like, a lot. Physically, the Trojans aren't really big, but they're not tiny, either.

Troy is playing well, having won four games in their tournament (sound familiar?), six in a row overall and ten of their last twelve.

The Dork Polls make them sound much like Elon. Solid on offense, a little weak on defense.

Troublemaker
03-12-2017, 06:56 PM
This is what matters TROY. I looked at stats.. 8 guys play.. very UNC like in minutes - most starters run 30 minutes which I like. Take your best guys off the floor for us. Top scorers are a 6'6" guy and 6'2" and 6'3" guards. I like that better than a 6'0" guy that breaks ankles. I like bigger guards like Notre Dame.

Now maybe they spread you with all those guards?? Maybe they drive and kick? Please inform me. But at least I don't see a 5'11" speedster based on height. But I may be wrong

Has anyone seen them play? 22-14 sounds easy (10-8 Sunbelt) but they have gotten hot./. 6 straight wins

That style is usually a safe bet with most mid and low majors. There are only so many good big men to go around.

Troy's center is 6'8" - 225 lb and shoots 42% from three.

tyson99
03-12-2017, 06:56 PM
I have a tradition of going to Duke's first round games with my family every year. And every year I see a group of excited, loud, energetic fans from the underdogs and potential cinderallas ... those who may be taking their first trip to the tournament in awhile. This year, sharing an arena with UNC and possibly facing a second round game against a true home team in USC, this team needs our support as much as ever. This team deserves loud, CRAZY fans who appreciate the fight they've shown and are ready to cheer them on as they start what we all hope is a magic run for #6. Let's represent! LET'S GO DUKE!

wilson
03-12-2017, 06:57 PM
Troy finished 22-14 in the regular season, 10-8 for 6th place in the Sun Belt Conference regular season.
The Trojans come in at #130 in KenPom's ratings, 74th in adjusted offense and 225th in adjusted defense.
Troy is not a big team...there is nobody over 6'8" on the roster (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/team/roster/_/id/2653/troy-trojans).
On offense, the Trojans are led by the three-headed monster of forward Jordon Varnado and guards Wesley Person and Jeremy Hollinson. Nobody else scores in double figures.
Troy led the Sun Belt with 305 3-pointers made this season, so staying with shooters on the perimeter figures to be a priority.
Troy is a middling rebounding team nationally, ranking 132nd in rebounding rate. Duke should be able to take advantage on the glass with size and athleticism if we can force Troy into some misses.
Troy played only one other tournament team, losing a close one at Southern Cal in December. In that game, the California Trojans needed a last-minute go ahead bucket to beat the Alabama Trojans.
Troy comes into the game pretty hot, on a 6-game win streak including wins over the #2, 3, and 4 seeds in their conference tournament (sound familiar?). Since a Feb. 4 loss to South Alabama dropped them to 12-12, Troy has gone 10-2, losing only road games at Texas State and UT-Arlington.

Overall, it seems that Duke should be able to limit offensive production from Troy and overwhelm a defense that allowed 1.07 points per possession to a pretty weak schedule.

proelitedota
03-12-2017, 07:02 PM
They might not be able to beat us. But we certainly can beat ourselves.

Stay calm and poised and give them as much respect as we do to any ACC team.

coldriver10
03-12-2017, 07:05 PM
I don't care if they're a 15, teams that shoot a lot of 3s always make me a little nervous...any team can shoot lights out on a given night (and, conversely, we can go cold). I know our 3 defense is pretty good, but ND yesterday missed a lot of good looks in the 2nd half that I thought could have put the game away.

But I have confidence. Go Duke!

Ultrarunner
03-12-2017, 07:06 PM

Watching their game with Ark. State. Doesn't look they have any burners

Troublemaker
03-12-2017, 07:07 PM
The Sun Belt representative has won a game in each of the past 2 NCAA tournaments.

Last year, 12-seed Arkansas-Little Rock beat 5-seed Purdue

In 2015, 14-seed Georgia St beat 3-seed Baylor

Spanarkel
03-12-2017, 07:09 PM
I don't care if they're a 15, teams that shoot a lot of 3s always make me a little nervous...any team can shoot lights out on a given night (and, conversely, we can go cold). I know our 3 defense is pretty good, but ND yesterday missed a lot of good looks in the 2nd half that I thought could have put the game away.

Agree! Troy's second-leading scorer Wesley Person is a nephew of Chuck "The Rifleman" Person, FWIW.

Tripping William
03-12-2017, 07:11 PM

A Duke strength this season has been limiting the other team's three-point shooting percentage. That reduces my anxiety a bit.

53n206
03-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Yes. I wonder if being tired affect how well we can step out to block open 3s.

Tripping William
03-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Yes. I wonder if being tired affect how well we can step out to block open 3s.

If Duke is "tired" on Friday, then there are a whole different set of issues in play beyond how we step out to block open 3's.

Wander
03-12-2017, 07:15 PM

There doesn't seem to be anyone on ANY of the low seeds who is seriously on the NBA's radar. Which is unusual, there's usually a few, which is how I pick my big upsets (e.g., Georgia State over Baylor). Closest I can find is a forward on 12 seed Nevada.

gofurman
03-12-2017, 07:27 PM
I posted this note in the other thread. Watched a little of Troy in their Conference Championship game. They shoot a bunch of three-pointers. Like, a lot. Physically, the Trojans aren't really big, but they're not tiny, either.

Troy is playing well, having won four games in their tournament (sound familiar?), six in a row overall and ten of their last twelve.

The Dork Polls make them sound much like Elon. Solid on offense, a little weak on defense.

Yeah. I saw about the three pointers which I like. We defend the three well. But they won the conf tourney going 1-17 from three. So they must do some other things well.

Edit. They got to the ft line a lot. That's how they compensated for 1-17 from three. Which someone above said they are good at. Making you foul

gofurman
03-12-2017, 07:38 PM

Right. Three point shooting teams have the most variance. 'The show" Arciambeaux etc. variance up and down. They can stay in games you wouldn't expect and get beat bad by teams you wouldn't expect

House G
03-12-2017, 07:56 PM
Agree! Troy's second-leading scorer Wesley Person is a nephew of Chuck "The Rifleman" Person, FWIW.

I thought Chuck Connors was The Rifleman.

duketaylor
03-12-2017, 08:09 PM
I think K should build a large wooden badger!!:cool:

MChambers
03-12-2017, 08:15 PM
A Duke strength this season has been limiting the other team's three-point shooting percentage. That reduces my anxiety a bit.

Year after year, Duke limits its opponents' three point shots, both in volume and percentage.

dukelifer
03-12-2017, 08:19 PM
I thought Chuck Connors was The Rifleman.
He was - and Chuck Person was named after Chuck Connors (who actually played in the MLB and NBA) and Chuck Person was known for his 3 point shooting. Connors - a Celtic- was credited with being the first player to break a backboard- not though a dunk but a shot that hit an improperly installed rim.

devildeac
03-12-2017, 08:24 PM
Year after year, Duke limits its opponents' three point shots, both in volume and percentage.

We did a pretty good job vs ND last PM, especially after they hit 10/17 against fsu, IIRC (where the C is debatable:o).

sagegrouse
03-12-2017, 08:29 PM
Well, do we get the noon game or the 7 PM game? It depends on which one CBS and friends want to feature. The choice is between Duke and Carolina.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2017, 08:39 PM
Well, do we get the noon game or the 7 PM game? It depends on which one CBS and friends want to feature. The choice is between Duke and Carolina.

1/16 usually gets the noon game I think, so we probably get the night grouping. But we shall see.

fisheyes
03-12-2017, 08:43 PM
Chronicle report we get 7:20!!!

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/03/duke-mens-basketball-awarded-no-2-seed-in-ncaa-tournament-following-dazzling-acc-title-run

subzero02
03-12-2017, 08:50 PM
We are favored by 18.5 points...

mgtr
03-12-2017, 08:59 PM
If their mascot is a big wooden horse, we may be in trouble. They could have LBJ hidden inside.

MChambers
03-12-2017, 09:07 PM
We did a pretty good job vs ND last PM, especially after they hit 10/17 against fsu, IIRC (where the C is debatable:o).

This KenPom article on limiting three point attempts is interesting:

http://kenpom.com/blog/offense-vs-defense-threepoint-attempts/

ricks68
03-12-2017, 09:08 PM
Anyone have any info on Iron Dukes tickets for Greenville? I've never used my ID membership for the first round before. Only used it for the Regionals and the FF. Will we get info tomorrow?

ricks

Aladuke
03-12-2017, 09:11 PM
He was - and Chuck Person was named after Chuck Connors (who actually played in the MLB and NBA) and Chuck Person was known for his 3 point shooting. Connors - a Celtic- was credited with being the first player to break a backboard- not though a dunk but a shot that hit an improperly installed rim.

Yeah, Chuck is the uncle, But his dad, Wesley Person, SR, was also a great scorer at Auburn and had a very good NBA career with the Cavs. With Chuck on the Auburn staff, they didn't offer young Wesley. Probably should have.

summerwind03
03-12-2017, 09:13 PM
Anyone have any info on Iron Dukes tickets for Greenville? I've never used my ID membership for the first round before. Only used it for the Regionals and the FF. Will we get info tomorrow?

ricks

The schools only get like 500 tickets to the first round, and they are usually only distributed to family and Very high level donors. Sometimes, if the arena is a big one, or other schools don't use their allocations, Duke will get access to some additional tickets. But I wouldn't count on it here.

DU82
03-12-2017, 09:15 PM
The schools only get like 500 tickets to the first round, and they are usually only distributed to family and Very high level donors. Sometimes, if the arena is a big one, or other schools don't use their allocations, Duke will get access to some additional tickets. But I wouldn't count on it here.

The Iron Duke info said 200 tickets would be available for Iron Dukes.

https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/591334.pdf

duke4ever19
03-12-2017, 09:16 PM
If their mascot is a big wooden horse, we may be in trouble. They could have LBJ hidden inside.

Lyndon B. Johnson is listed as the second tallest president at 6'3 (Lincoln at 6'4) but I think we can handle him. :rolleyes:

kshepinthehouse
03-12-2017, 09:16 PM
The Iron Duke info said 200 tickets would be available for Iron Dukes.

https://admin.xosn.com/attachments1/591334.pdf

I need one if anyone has an extra :)

Ultrarunner
03-12-2017, 09:30 PM
Caveat - the following is based on watching one game, some highlights, and Kenpom.

Top Players for Troy
Kevin Baker G 6-2 180 JR - Plays the point for the Trojans. Reasonably quick and feeds the post well but not a threat to break the defense down with dribble drive penetration. An average three-point shooter with some range. In the little bit that I watched, all his assists were to the post. If you speed him up, he goes out of control.

Jordon Varnado F 6-6 215 SO - Plays in the post for the Trojans. Nice offensive skills around the basket but not a good defender and not very physical. Can shoot the three but not well on the road, if the last dozen games (4/18) are any indicator.

Jeremy Hollimon G 6-3 195 SR - The best three point shooter on the squad at 43%. Tends to be turnover prone. The best on the team at drawing fouls by attacking the basket where he can hit some circus shots.

Wesley Person G 6-3 190 JR - The Trojans best offensive player. Person shoots about 39% from 3 and 60% of his shots are from long range. Need to stay home on him. Not a driver and will give up the ball when faced with a good defender. This should be Matt’s assignment.

Juan Davis Jr. F 6-8 225 JR - Has a nice all-round game as their version of a stretch-4. Plays on the perimeter and shoots at a 42% clip. Shoots from 2 at a high percentage but doesn’t shoot as much as he probably should. In a major slump over the last six games.

DeVon Walker F 6-6 203 SR - The glue guy for the team. Slow-footed and doesn’t shoot much or particularly well.

Alex Hicks F 6-8 215 SO - Hicks has a nice skill set in the post and has a mid-range shot to about 12 feet. Not an aggressive player and turns the ball over.

Daniel Peace G 6-1 182 SR - Peace will spell Baker at the point, but doesn’t do very much well. Big drop-off when Baker sits.

Troy is undersized and not particularly quick. Their offense is deliberate and geared to running a high-screen PNR and kicking out to shooters for 3-pointers (40 percent of their attempts are beyond the arc.) Part of the problem with their PNR offense is Varnado is lazy on the roll. As a team, they shoot 37 percent from range. They also shoot free throws well (72 percent) and scored more that 20 percent of their points from the charity stripe this season. They have almost the same number of turnovers (440) as assists (469.)

On defense, they play man with an occasional 2-3 zone thrown in. They don’t rotate very well, nor are they adept at stopping dribble penetration. About the only thing they do well is limiting the opponents three point percentage, but I’m not sure if that is by plan or a result of the level of their competition.

Troy boasted one of the worst non-conference strength of schedules in the country at 335. Their league play got them up to a 214. For the season, they’ve played exactly two teams in Kenpom’s top 100 – (61) USC and (71) UT-Arlington. Kenpom has them as the fourth-best team in the Sunbelt.

BandAlum83
03-12-2017, 09:48 PM
Go Duke!!!

uh_no
03-12-2017, 09:59 PM
geared to running a high-screen PNR

well shoot.

pack it up boys, it was a good run :D

Ultrarunner
03-12-2017, 10:08 PM
well shoot.

pack it up boys, it was a good run :D

Breathe. They don't run it very well.

Besides which, the secret phrase is "It's over!"

proelitedota
03-12-2017, 10:18 PM
It's over!

Let's see if our team has learned to stop playing down to the competition. If not, then it would get really tight!

subzero02
03-12-2017, 10:30 PM
We have plenty of time to rest and fully recover from our grueling ACC tourney schedule. Amile and Grayson have additional time to get healthier and Giles has some practices to become further integrated into our team flow. I'd like to see us come out with the same furor that we had against Notre Dame but without Troy finding a way to keep it close by bombing away from 3. I assume that K will keep the same rotation, adjusting minutes depending on foul trouble and who happens to be playing the best at the time. I hope we put them away early and get to see Bolden and Jack White play extensively in the final 7 minutes of game time.

SCMatt33
03-12-2017, 10:35 PM
So the thing I like about this matchup is that Troy is reliant mostly on getting to the free throw line (62nd in % of points from the foul line) and 3 pointers (121st in % from threes). They are only 287th in % points from 2 point field goals. If you look statistically at Duke defenses over the years, one of the most consistent hallmarks has been forcing teams to beat us with two point field goals. In fact, in the KenPom era, Duke has been outside the top ten in highest % of points against from two point field goals only three times and only once since 2005. Duke is most often in the top 5 and this year is no exception. Teams score 60% of their points against us on two point field goals, which is second highest nationally. Troy is a decent 2 point shooting team, but prefer to take threes and their low assist rate (270th nationally) tells me they want to beat you one on one. Given Duke's size and athletic advantages at just about every position, Troys style of offense should hopefully play right into Duke's hands and we should be able to force them to score in ways they don't want to.

CDu
03-12-2017, 10:42 PM
Troy is kind of your typical Southern mid-major. They are undersized, but athletic and fairly skilled... on offense.

Frontcourt: Troy actually plays a little bit "traditionally" and a little bit unconventionally. They play most of the game with two "bigs". However, their bigs are a bit unconventional. At center, the Trojans rotate a pair of bigs. Davis (6'8" 225lb junior JuCo transfer) starts and plays about half the game. Davis is a good athlete and a terrific shooter (50% fg, 41% 3pt, 80% ft). Davis' backup is Hicks (6'8", 215lb sophomore JuCo transfer), who is also springy but lacks the offensive game. The two don't play together, but combine for about 12 and 8. The PF is Varnado (6'6" 215lb sophomore). Varnado is their star and younger brother of Jarvis Varnado. He reminds me a bit of Bonzi Colson. He can score in the post, step out and hit the 3, and is just generally a handful. Like Colson, he plays bigger than his listed size. Varnado leads the team in scoring rebounding, and blocks.

Wings: The starting wings are Walker (6'6" 200lb grad transfer from UF) and Person (6'3" 190lb junior). Walker is a pure slasher and surprisingly good rebounder, but not a good shooter. Person is the son of former NBA sharpshooter Wes Person and nephew of Chuck Person. And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Person is a sharpshooter, hitting 40% on about 6.5 3pt attempts per game. About 2/3 of Person's attempts are from 3. If Varnado is their inside threat, Person is the first option on the perimeter. The primary backup is Hollimon (6'2" 180lb senior JuCo transfer). Hollimon is instant offense off the bench, averaging 12 ppg in 22 mpg. He is quick off the dribble about can really hit the 3 (42%).

Point guards: The starter at PG is Baker (6'2" 180lb junior JuCo transfer). He is almost exclusively a perimeter shooter, with roughly 80% of his shots coming from 3. He also is not a great shooter, at 34% from the field. Backing him up is Peace (6'1" 180lb senior JuCo transfer). Peace is the polar opposite of Baker: exclusively a driver with no outside shot. Last year, Peace started and played 25 mpg, but took a total of 3 3s all year.

Troy spreads the floor and shoots a decent number of 3s. But they also take it to the rim from all angles. They are a reasonably capable offensive team (Pomeroy's #79 offense). What they do not do is defend (#225). They don't necessarily play fast, but they will run on any turnovers. They are probably a bit underseeded (more like a 13/14), as they have had a Clemsonesque run of bad luck in close games (11 losses by 6 or less). But this is a team we should be able to handle. Obviously, if we struggle to hit shots and their shooters hit theirs, anything can happen. They lost by double digits to San Francisco and by 20+ to UAB, but also played Southern Cal to within 5.

We win this game by playing with focus and not getting sloppy. It would be best if we can jump on them early and crush any hope. If this thing is close into the second half, we could sweat. Troy can score, so we don't want to let them hang around.

devildeac
03-12-2017, 10:46 PM
Lyndon B. Johnson is listed as the second tallest president at 6'3 (Lincoln at 6'4) but I think we can handle him. :rolleyes:

PG or 2G?

I'll try to stay away from anything about Lincoln and his shooting.

(bad, dd, bad)

duke09hms
03-13-2017, 04:50 AM
So the thing I like about this matchup is that Troy is reliant mostly on getting to the free throw line (62nd in % of points from the foul line) and 3 pointers (121st in % from threes). They are only 287th in % points from 2 point field goals. If you look statistically at Duke defenses over the years, one of the most consistent hallmarks has been forcing teams to beat us with two point field goals. In fact, in the KenPom era, Duke has been outside the top ten in highest % of points against from two point field goals only three times and only once since 2005. Duke is most often in the top 5 and this year is no exception. Teams score 60% of their points against us on two point field goals, which is second highest nationally. Troy is a decent 2 point shooting team, but prefer to take threes and their low assist rate (270th nationally) tells me they want to beat you one on one. Given Duke's size and athletic advantages at just about every position, Troys style of offense should hopefully play right into Duke's hands and we should be able to force them to score in ways they don't want to.

Ohhhhh, so THAT's why we like to run lay-up lines during games

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 07:23 AM
PG or 2G?

(bad, dd, bad)

"Too soon"

Reilly
03-13-2017, 08:06 AM
PG or 2G?

(bad, dd, bad)

From what I understand, Lincoln's problem was not on offense but an inability to defend against close-in shots.

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 08:16 AM
From what I understand, Lincoln's problem was not on offense but an inability to defend against close-in shots.

Other than THAT, how was the game?

BD80
03-13-2017, 08:46 AM
... Connors - a Celtic- was credited with being the first player to break a backboard- not though a dunk but a shot that hit an improperly installed rim.

So that is why I break backboards with my shots! I don't shoot bricks, I hit improperly installed rims!

ricks68
03-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Very subtle comment. Nicely done.

ricks

Henderson
03-13-2017, 09:56 AM

Good points. Coach K was asked after the ACCT title game what made his team good at defending the 3. He said part of it is that his guys have a perimeter game on offense, which makes them good at knowing how to defend it. Surely having Matt Jones and generally being long on the perimeter don't hurt.

Reilly
03-13-2017, 09:56 AM

The opposing fans were quite belligerent.

ricks68
03-13-2017, 09:57 AM

Ohhhhhhh. Comments like these are what keeps me coming back to the board throughout the day. Good filler between the "it's over", "cinder blocks", "minutes played", "who's leaving", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera comments.

ricks

devildeac
03-13-2017, 10:13 AM

Ohhhhhhh. Comments like these are what keeps me coming back to the board throughout the day. Good filler between the "it's over", "cinder blocks", "minutes played", "who's leaving", etcetera, etcetera, etcetera comments.

ricks

IOW, you're proclaiming the emancipation from our usual discussions.

SCMatt33
03-13-2017, 10:15 AM
Good points. Coach K was asked after the ACCT title game what made his team good at defending the 3. He said part of it is that his guys have a perimeter game on offense, which makes them good at knowing how to defend it. Surely having Matt Jones and generally being long on the perimeter don't hurt.

Well I think it's also a stylistic thing as much as anything. Remember, this is something that's been remarkably consistent across both great defenses and decidedly mediocre defenses. It's been consistent through four perimeter guys and lineups with two true big men. It didn't even dip too much in 2010 when we sat back inside the three point line a ton (we were 11th that year). I think it has more to do with the way Duke handles screens and switching, drives and post play as much as anything. If you pass the ball well on the interior or beat us one on one with a drive, you will get rewarded with a quality chance near the rim, but Duke rarely lets you kick it back out for an uncontested three by your best jump shooter.

killerleft
03-13-2017, 10:18 AM
I think K should build a large wooden badger!!:cool:

LOL! I think Coach K should leave the players out in the spirit of King Graham Chapman Arthur. Such farcical wooden animals tend to come back at you plenti fast when fired from a trebuchet.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2017, 10:19 AM

I assume this is why Duke isn't good at defending the post.

On the other hand, Duke is very good at the drive. And we suck at defending the drive.

53n206
03-13-2017, 10:22 AM
When viewing our games on TV it appears that most of the drives to the basket by our opponents are on the right side of the lane . Is this because most players are right handed; or is it that our defense doesn't cover that area

duketaylor
03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
http://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0E005153E5908929?f_tmol_checkout=true&ab=m_efeat4517v2Control#efeat4212&CAMEFROM=CFC_NCAA_EMAIL_SELECTION_SUNDAY_GRE

ricks68
03-13-2017, 10:23 AM
IOW, you're proclaiming the emancipation from our usual discussions.

Oh c r a p, I must have fed the pigeons. You are obviously "working" today. (In case someone thinks I am being passive-aggressive towards dd, I don't mean it, as it's just some continuous teasing that I am directing towards a great friend.)😊

ricks

BandAlum83
03-13-2017, 10:25 AM

Actually, you jest, but there is some truth to this.

devildeac
03-13-2017, 10:26 AM
Oh c r a p, I must have fed the pigeons. You are obviously "working" today. (In case someone thinks I am being passive-aggressive towards dd, I don't mean it, as it's just some continuous teasing that I am directing towards a great friend.)��

ricks

Had a "no show" in the 1000 slot this AM. :p

ricks68
03-13-2017, 10:30 AM
http://www1.ticketmaster.com/event/0E005153E5908929?f_tmol_checkout=true&ab=m_efeat4517v2Control#efeat4212&CAMEFROM=CFC_NCAA_EMAIL_SELECTION_SUNDAY_GRE

There were tickets available last night that would have cost almost 600 for a pair after their add-ons, but I didn't want to pay more than the FF costs me through ID and also not be sitting in our own section.😈

ricks

BandAlum83
03-13-2017, 10:33 AM
There were tickets available last night that would have cost almost 600 for a pair after their add-ons, but I didn't want to pay more than the FF costs me through ID and also not be sitting in our own section.😈

ricks

I'd love to take the drive up, but can't see paying that much to see Troy St and a round of 32 game. :(

Guess I'll be watcing on TBS. I know those are good seats, if they don't split screen me too much.

ricks68
03-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Had a "no show" in the 1000 slot this AM. :p

You evidently must have a lot of "no shows" during the day. Bazinga!

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2017, 11:08 AM

ricks

Yeah, at 4:45pm yesterday, you could get a book for $250. Almost pulled the trigger, but couldn't justify the cost, even knowing they would skyrocket within the hour.

cruxer
03-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Yeah, at 4:45pm yesterday, you could get a book for $250. Almost pulled the trigger, but couldn't justify the cost, even knowing they would skyrocket within the hour.

I live about 1/2 mile from the arena, so I got tix as soon as the site was named in hopes that Duke would be there. FYI, face value for all 3 sessions for the weekend were $275.

-c

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-13-2017, 11:23 AM
I live about 1/2 mile from the arena, so I got tix as soon as the site was named in hopes that Duke would be there. FYI, face value for all 3 sessions for the weekend were $275.

-c

Stub Hub has them at $370 now.

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 11:24 AM
I assume this is why Duke isn't good at defending the post.

On the other hand, Duke is very good at the drive. And we suck at defending the drive.

Defenses giveth and taketh away. We will give up an easier two to guard against the more damaging three. It seems to work out most of the time.😂😈😎

kAzE
03-13-2017, 11:34 AM
Wow, already 4 pages in, and we don't play until Friday!

I'm really glad the ACC tournament ended on Saturday. 6 full days of rest (and hopefully some good practice) after the ACCT gauntlet is a relief. I'm not overly concerned with Troy. We didn't guard the 3 as well as we usually do in the 2nd half against Notre Dame, but I credit that (as well as Notre Dame's inability to hit wide open 3s) to both teams' unusual level of fatigue. I doubt we give Troy that many open shots with a full tank of gas. Another thing that gives me a high level of confidence against mid-major type teams is that they usually have only 1 or 2 good scorers, and we have the ultimate shut down guy in Matt Jones, who can essentially nullify any 1 offensive threat on the perimeter.

Whoever we face in the 2nd round won't be easy. Sucks that we might have to take out Wojo's Golden Eagles, or possibly play South Carolina in South Carolina (with UNC fans in the stadium, no less) Not to overlook any team in this tournament, but I like our path to the Sweet 16. Neither of those teams really have the offensive firepower to hang with us if we are on our game, and we've proven deadly enough on offense that even elite defenses, like both of those teams have, have had a tough time defending us. I credit this to the rise of Jayson Tatum. He really is impossible to stop when he's on his game.

South Carolina is 3rd in defensive efficiency and Marquette is 7th. Wojo's team having an elite defense is probably the least surprising thing ever. That guy was a bulldog.

LGD!

NSDukeFan
03-13-2017, 11:36 AM
Well I think it's also a stylistic thing as much as anything. Remember, this is something that's been remarkably consistent across both great defenses and decidedly mediocre defenses. It's been consistent through four perimeter guys and lineups with two true big men. It didn't even dip too much in 2010 when we sat back inside the three point line a ton (we were 11th that year). I think it has more to do with the way Duke handles screens and switching, drives and post play as much as anything. If you pass the ball well on the interior or beat us one on one with a drive, you will get rewarded with a quality chance near the rim, but Duke rarely lets you kick it back out for an uncontested three by your best jump shooter.

I think it's a stats thing. 3-pointers and free throws tend to be the most efficient ways to score, so Duke shoots a bunch of threes and tries to get to the line and tries to force the other team to shoot 2s (layups when things aren't going well, contested 2-point jumpers when are.)

duke4ever19
03-13-2017, 12:08 PM

I'm really glad the ACC tournament ended on Saturday. 6 full days of rest (and hopefully some good practice) after the ACCT gauntlet is a relief. I'm not overly concerned with Troy. We didn't guard the 3 as well as we usually do in the 2nd half against Notre Dame, but I credit that (as well as Notre Dame's inability to hit wide open 3s) to both teams' unusual level of fatigue. I doubt we give Troy that many open shots with a full tank of gas. Another thing that gives me a high level of confidence against mid-major type teams is that they usually have only 1 or 2 good scorers, and we have the ultimate shut down guy in Matt Jones, who can essentially nullify any 1 offensive threat on the perimeter.

Whoever we face in the 2nd round won't be easy. Sucks that we might have to take out Wojo's Golden Eagles, or possibly play South Carolina in South Carolina (with UNC fans in the stadium, no less) Not to overlook any team in this tournament, but I like our path to the Sweet 16. Neither of those teams really have the offensive firepower to hang with us if we are on our game, and we've proven deadly enough on offense that even elite defenses, like both of those teams have, have had a tough time defending us. I credit this to the rise of Jayson Tatum. He really is impossible to stop when he's on his game.

South Carolina is 3rd in defensive efficiency and Marquette is 7th. Wojo's team having an elite defense is probably the least surprising thing ever. That guy was a bulldog.

LGD!

That's interesting, because over at ESPN, Eammon Brennan basically said Marquette was soft on defense. Here's a screen shot of his comment:

Now I'm confused.

CDu
03-13-2017, 12:10 PM
That's interesting, because over at ESPN, Eammon Brennan basically said Marquette was soft on defense. Here's a screen shot of his comment:

Now I'm confused.

Pomeroy agrees. Marquette is the #7 offense, #154 defense. They are roughly equivalent to Wake Forest in terms of offense/defense quality. Not stylistically similar, but production similar.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2017, 12:11 PM

LGD!

Marquette is 7th in offense, not defense. On D, they are 154th. So they're basically the worst 11-seed and better (Marquette) on defense in the tournament.

BandAlum83
03-13-2017, 12:11 PM

LGD!

Do they slap the floor on defense?

kAzE
03-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Marquette is 7th in offense, not defense. On D, they are 154th. So they're basically the worst 11-seed and better (Marquette) on defense in the tournament.

Ugh, my bad. I blame Monday -_-

I am surprised they aren't better defensively, with Wojo at the helm.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2017, 12:25 PM
Ugh, I blame Monday -_-

No worries. Wojo probably learned this style of play from his last few years at Duke. Ya know, amazing O, terrible D. ;)

Marquette should be a really fun team to watch with their style of play. And given that they can score very well, I'm worried about this kind of team for Duke. I much prefer a USC-type team: they are great at D but they can't score to save their lives. Let's face it - Duke can score on anyone. But if you have penetrating guards and an All-American/Conference big man, you have a change of beating Duke.

Spanarkel
03-13-2017, 12:36 PM

LGD!

Marquette leads the nation in three point accuracy at .430 as well.

kAzE
03-13-2017, 12:38 PM
No worries. Wojo probably learned this style of play from his last few years at Duke. Ya know, amazing O, terrible D. ;)

Marquette should be a really fun team to watch with their style of play. And given that they can score very well, I'm worried about this kind of team for Duke. I much prefer a USC-type team: they are great at D but they can't score to save their lives. Let's face it - Duke can score on anyone. But if you have penetrating guards and an All-American/Conference big man, you have a change of beating Duke.

Agreed. Given that, I would MUCH rather face South Carolina in the 2nd game than Marquette. The Golden Eagles are a really good shooting team: 43% from 3 (holy crap), and 78% from the foul line. They are also really deep: they play 10 guys at least 13 minutes a game, and 7 guys at least 20 minutes a game.

They don't appear to have 1 particularly dominant big man, though. Their best big man seems to be their 6'11" 250 pound center, Luke Fischer, who plays around 24 minutes a game and averages just under 6 rebounds.

I think if we end up playing them, guarding the 3 is going to be the key. Over 41% of Marquette's field goal attempts have been 3s this year. It's a huge part of their offense, and I'm sure South Carolina is aware of that fact as well.

Spanarkel
03-13-2017, 12:42 PM
I'd love to take the drive up, but can't see paying that much to see Troy St and a round of 32 game. :(

Guess I'll be watcing on TBS. I know those are good seats, if they don't split screen me too much.

Not to nitpick, but it's been Troy(U) since '05.:)

CDu
03-13-2017, 12:50 PM

That's not really Marquette though. They are basically a bunch of shooters along with a rotation of two plodding bigs and a pair of athletic but less skilled wings. They don't really have a dynamic ballhandler or driving weapon.

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2017, 12:51 PM
[/B]

Agreed. Given that, I would MUCH rather face South Carolina in the 2nd game than Marquette. The Golden Eagles are a really good shooting team: 43% from 3 (holy crap), and 78% from the foul line. They are also really deep: they play 10 guys at least 13 minutes a game, and 7 guys at least 20 minutes a game.

They don't appear to have 1 particularly dominant big man, though. Their best big man seems to be their 6'11" 250 pound center, Luke Fischer, who plays around 24 minutes a game and averages just under 6 rebounds.

I think if we end up playing them, guarding the 3 is going to be the key. Over 41% of Marquette's field goal attempts have been 3s this year. It's a huge part of their offense, and I'm sure South Carolina is aware of that fact as well.

Wojo did learn something at Duke!

Yup - gimme USC any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I don't care about home court advantage; I want the team that thinks they can guard us.

CDu
03-13-2017, 12:54 PM
[/B]

They actually only play 9 guys. One guy played 8 games early in the year but has been out the rest of the year. That's still two more bodies than us. But they don't really have a dynamic playmaker. They just have a bunch of really good shooters, most notably Howard, Rowsey, and Hauser. Howard (5'11") and Rowsey (5'10") are tiny though.

Not saying I'd necessarily rather face Marquette. Just that I wouldn't be too worried about either matchup.

kAzE
03-13-2017, 12:57 PM
They actually only play 9 guys. One guy played 8 games early in the year but has been out the rest of the year. That's still two more bodies than us. But they don't really have a dynamic playmaker. They just have a bunch of really good shooters, most notably Howard, Rowsey, and Hauser. Howard (5'11") and Rowsey (5'10") are tiny though.

Not saying I'd necessarily rather face Marquette. Just that I wouldn't be too worried about either matchup.

Yeah, like I said, I like our path to the Sweet 16, but I'd still much rather face a team that can't score than a team with multiple guys who can go unconscious from 3 and have an even tiny chance of springing the upset.

60sDukie
03-13-2017, 01:44 PM

-c

We too live in Greenville and I bought tickets early on. Our seats are not great - high in sec 219 - but at least not behind the basket. Where are yours? It would be nice if we could somehow get together with other like-minded forum members.

jacone21
03-13-2017, 02:07 PM
Caveat - the following is based on watching one game, some highlights, and Kenpom.

Top Players for Troy
Kevin Baker G 6-2 180 JR - Plays the point for the Trojans. Reasonably quick and feeds the post well but not a threat to break the defense down with dribble drive penetration. An average three-point shooter with some range. In the little bit that I watched, all his assists were to the post. If you speed him up, he goes out of control.

Jordon Varnado F 6-6 215 SO - Plays in the post for the Trojans. Nice offensive skills around the basket but not a good defender and not very physical. Can shoot the three but not well on the road, if the last dozen games (4/18) are any indicator.

Jeremy Hollimon G 6-3 195 SR - The best three point shooter on the squad at 43%. Tends to be turnover prone. The best on the team at drawing fouls by attacking the basket where he can hit some circus shots.

Wesley Person G 6-3 190 JR - The Trojans best offensive player. Person shoots about 39% from 3 and 60% of his shots are from long range. Need to stay home on him. Not a driver and will give up the ball when faced with a good defender. This should be Matt’s assignment.

Juan Davis Jr. F 6-8 225 JR - Has a nice all-round game as their version of a stretch-4. Plays on the perimeter and shoots at a 42% clip. Shoots from 2 at a high percentage but doesn’t shoot as much as he probably should. In a major slump over the last six games.

DeVon Walker F 6-6 203 SR - The glue guy for the team. Slow-footed and doesn’t shoot much or particularly well.

Alex Hicks F 6-8 215 SO - Hicks has a nice skill set in the post and has a mid-range shot to about 12 feet. Not an aggressive player and turns the ball over.

Daniel Peace G 6-1 182 SR - Peace will spell Baker at the point, but doesn’t do very much well. Big drop-off when Baker sits.

Troy is undersized and not particularly quick. Their offense is deliberate and geared to running a high-screen PNR and kicking out to shooters for 3-pointers (40 percent of their attempts are beyond the arc.) Part of the problem with their PNR offense is Varnado is lazy on the roll. As a team, they shoot 37 percent from range. They also shoot free throws well (72 percent) and scored more that 20 percent of their points from the charity stripe this season. They have almost the same number of turnovers (440) as assists (469.)

On defense, they play man with an occasional 2-3 zone thrown in. They don’t rotate very well, nor are they adept at stopping dribble penetration. About the only thing they do well is limiting the opponents three point percentage, but I’m not sure if that is by plan or a result of the level of their competition.

Troy boasted one of the worst non-conference strength of schedules in the country at 335. Their league play got them up to a 214. For the season, they’ve played exactly two teams in Kenpom’s top 100 – (61) USC and (71) UT-Arlington. Kenpom has them as the fourth-best team in the Sunbelt.

I saw them play Georgia Southern 3 times this season... and your analysis is solid. In the Sun Belt tourney game, it seemed like Troy couldn't miss. Person, Hollimon, and Varnado combined for 12-14 from 3pt range in that game, and the Eagles couldn't match the scoring. Duke needs to concentrate on preventing Person and Hollimon from seeing any shots go in early, and make sure to stay with Varnado and respect his outside shot.

On defense, they're pretty good at perimeter defense, but have lapses, and aren't particularly good inside. Our bigs (along with Tatum) should be able to dominate them. We should go inside early and often. I just don't see them being able to stop it.

Play inside out and make free throws and we should take this one.

SlapTheFloor
03-13-2017, 04:21 PM
I saw them play Georgia Southern 3 times this season... and your analysis is solid. In the Sun Belt tourney game, it seemed like Troy couldn't miss. Person, Hollimon, and Varnado combined for 12-14 from 3pt range in that game, and the Eagles couldn't match the scoring. Duke needs to concentrate on preventing Person and Hollimon from seeing any shots go in early, and make sure to stay with Varnado and respect his outside shot.

On defense, they're pretty good at perimeter defense, but have lapses, and aren't particularly good inside. Our bigs (along with Tatum) should be able to dominate them. We should go inside early and often. I just don't see them being able to stop it.

Play inside out and make free throws and we should take this one.

If all else fails, the wooden horse is a proven winner.

BandAlum83
03-13-2017, 04:28 PM
Not to nitpick, but it's been Troy(U) since '05.:)

Thanks. I'll probably remember that for like 3 days....:)

gofurman
03-13-2017, 05:50 PM

not to get ahead but that means USC and Marquette are opposites.. USC has great D - top 5! - but bad offense.. Marquette has great O but bad D. Not sure which I prefer but from a fan standpoint its better to play Marquette for sure ! USC would fill the building plus all the UNC fans would cheer for them - it would be a home game for USC.

Go Marquette

gofurman
03-13-2017, 05:53 PM
Troy is the highest-ranked 15-seed by KenPom. Screwed! ;)

remember a few years ago we had an underrated 14/15 seed... I don't laugh at any team. They are all scary to me as a too-serious fan.

uh_no
03-13-2017, 05:58 PM
remember a few years ago we had an underrated 14/15 seed... I don't laugh at any team. They are all scary to me as a too-serious fan.

I had duke going out early both years. I don't have duke going out early this year. Therefore, nobody should worry :)

Ultrarunner
03-13-2017, 06:19 PM

I'm all for burying them early out of the gate. Jacone21's advice to go inside early and often is spot on. My fear is that we'll play down to the competition. My hope is that the team thinks its in Vegas again.

Troublemaker
03-13-2017, 06:32 PM

To be clear, highest-ranked 15-seed doesn't mean underrated/underseeded. I don't think they're outside the normal range for 15 seeds.

But yes, no opponent should be laughed at (and I was not laughing at them).

slower
03-13-2017, 06:34 PM

Also, he was better in domes than smaller arenas.

WVDUKEFAN
03-13-2017, 06:43 PM
Let's play our game, get a win, and advance. I would really like to rest our thoroughbreds as much as we can, especially Amile. I think we should keep Grayson coming in as the sixth man. He really seems to be adapting well to that rotation. Any playing time we get for Giles is a plus. He was having a good game against ND, but frustration set in. I really, really like our chances to win this thing.

I'm not looking forward to a matchup with UNC if it would come to that, just because it's so tough to beat a team 3 times.

blUDAYvil
03-13-2017, 07:03 PM
I'm not looking forward to a matchup with UNC if it would come to that, just because it's so tough to beat a team 3 times.

I have seen this concept a few times on the boards. Yes the likelihood of beating a team 3 times is low ... at the beginning of the season. After you have already beaten the team twice, the probability of beating them the third time is not low.

Ultrarunner
03-13-2017, 07:10 PM
I have seen this concept a few times on the boards. Yes the likelihood of beating a team 3 times is low ... at the beginning of the season. After you have already beaten the team twice, the probability of beating them the third time is not low.

Plus our freshmen continue to improve. All three of the regulars have made big jumps in the last month. Given their talent and another three weeks of development and integration into the system, another jump is possible, especially for Giles.

Olympic Fan
03-13-2017, 07:13 PM
I hate the number of posts in this thread talking about a possible second game against Marquette or South Carolina.

I know we are fans, not players/coaches, but I still hate looking ahead at this time of year. This is the Duke-Troy thread.

That other stuff should go in the East Regional thread.

Beat Troy, then we can express our preference before and during the Marquette-South Carolina game.

rsvman
03-13-2017, 07:50 PM

As long as Grayson doesn't have too much trouble with his shoelaces, you should be good.

proelitedota
03-13-2017, 08:21 PM
I think I'll be nervous as heck the whole Friday and most of the game. I am already getting jittery.

Is there something wrong with me? :confused:

uh_no
03-13-2017, 08:43 PM
I hate the number of posts in this thread talking about a possible second game against Marquette or South Carolina.

I know we are fans, not players/coaches, but I still hate looking ahead at this time of year. This is the Duke-Troy thread.

Beat Troy, then we can express our preference before and during the Marquette-South Carolina game.

1) death
2) taxes
3) duke playing marquette or south carolina this weekend

We're not losing this one. There aren't too many things I'm sure of, but us winning friday is one of them.

<offer null and void if anyone gets injured>

davekay1971
03-13-2017, 08:56 PM
1) death
2) taxes

We're not losing this one. There aren't too many things I'm sure of, but us winning friday is one of them.

It's okay everyone. I just sacrificed a live chicken to the gods in atonement for the above post. Carry on.

Ultrarunner
03-13-2017, 09:11 PM
1) death
2) taxes

we're not losing this one. There aren't too many things i'm sure of, but us winning friday is one of them.

No jinxing!

Tripping William
03-13-2017, 09:11 PM
It's okay everyone. I just sacrificed a live chicken to the weauxfgods in atonement for the above post. Carry on.

FIFY. And thank you for sparring all of us a lot of angst.

uh_no
03-13-2017, 09:13 PM
It's okay everyone. I just sacrificed a live chicken to the gods in atonement for the above post. Carry on.

fry it up! let's eat!

Karl Beem
03-13-2017, 09:50 PM
Let's play our game, get a win, and advance. I would really like to rest our thoroughbreds as much as we can, especially Amile. I think we should keep Grayson coming in as the sixth man. He really seems to be adapting well to that rotation. Any playing time we get for Giles is a plus. He was having a good game against ND, but frustration set in. I really, really like our chances to win this thing.

It's hard to beat a UNC once, we've done it twice including on a neutral court. It's the Cheaters who should be worried.

quahog174
03-13-2017, 09:58 PM

Was it a gamecock?

devildeac
03-13-2017, 11:10 PM

Should have been a sheep...

brevity
03-13-2017, 11:27 PM
The 2017 NCAA Tournament Information Binder (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39712-2017-NCAA-Tournament-Information-Binder) thread links to a large PDF file with some information about Troy:

1. KenPom gives an 8.3% chance for them to advance to the Round of 32.
2. Based on aggregate ranking metrics, all four 15 seeds are properly grouped together at the 15 seed line. Troy is slightly better than Northern Kentucky, and then there's some separation between them and Jacksonville State and North Dakota.
3. If a strict S-curve were applied to these 68 teams, Troy would still be a 15-seed. (Duke would still be a 2 seed.)
4. The Troy Trojans played on the road against the USC Trojans and lost by 5. (A video clip on ESPN's box score page (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/game?gameId=400915576) shows they were tied with less than a minute to go.)
5. Many more stats are available on the Troy team page if someone wants to take a deeper dive. Gives me a headache.

Person is not the only recognizable surname on the squad. Jordon Varnado, Troy's leading scorer, is Jarvis Varnado's brother. Jarvis -- now a pro in Europe -- played for Mississippi State from 2006-2010, where he set the NCAA record for blocks. Jordon is 3 inches shorter.

Phil Cunningham is approaching his 4th anniversary as head coach of Troy, the only Division I head coaching job on his resume. He was an assistant at Mississippi State from 2000-2012, which means he coached both Varnado brothers. Before that he worked as an assistant for Lefty Driesell at James Madison and Georgia State, working his way up to second in command.

chriso
03-13-2017, 11:32 PM

Personally I hope we get at least a 2 seed in 2018 and make it through the first weekend. Seriously I think if we focus we can get through this first game without issue. Let's stay healthy and keep our momentum going. Tatum and Kennard may be the best 2 players in the tournament. One game at a time, but this boulder is picking up speed! Surprised at the number of ESPN analysts on Around the Horn picking us for the Final Four. :)

53n206
03-14-2017, 12:14 AM

Giles frustration? Four days in a row for a guy with limited playing time might tire even our Harry out

Ultrarunner
03-14-2017, 12:42 AM
Personally I hope we get at least a 2 seed in 2018 and make it through the first weekend. Seriously I think if we focus we can get through this first game without issue. Let's stay healthy and keep our momentum going. Tatum and Kennard may be the best 2 players in the tournament. One game at a time, but this boulder is picking up speed! Surprised at the number of ESPN analysts on Around the Horn picking us for the Final Four. :)

At some point, I'm hoping that (fully) healthy Grayson gets included on that line.

chriso
03-14-2017, 12:53 AM
At some point, I'm hoping that (fully) healthy Grayson gets included on that line.
Me too brother. :D

UrinalCake
03-14-2017, 01:11 AM
Which scenario would be more upsetting to the CHeat fans - having to root for Wojo, or having to root for SC?

chriso
03-14-2017, 01:22 AM
Which scenario would be more upsetting to the CHeat fans - having to root for Wojo, or having to root for SC?
Having to root for Wojo. But I prefer having to lose to Duke 3 times in one season. :)

kAzE
03-14-2017, 01:31 AM
Having to root for Wojo. But I prefer having to lose to Duke 3 times in one season. :)

No way, this assumes that they reach the Championship game, which means they got another Final Four. Screw that. Although I guess it also means we reached the championship game. Hmm . . . How about we win the championship game and they lose in the round of 64? That would upset them.

LET'S GO TX SOUTHERN! YOU CAN DO IT!!

chriso
03-14-2017, 01:53 AM
No way, this assumes that they reach the Championship game, which means they got another Final Four. Screw that. Although I guess it also means we reached the championship game. Hmm . . . How about we win the championship game and they lose in the round of 64? That would upset them.

I could live with that. :)

DU82
03-14-2017, 07:18 AM

That's what I have in my bracket.

chriso
03-14-2017, 11:26 AM

At the top of my MSN home page this morning "Is This Duke Team the Most Obnoxious Ever?" Good grief it never ends. I know it shouldn't bother me but it does. Go Duke!

kAzE
03-14-2017, 12:24 PM
At the top of my MSN home page this morning "Is This Duke Team the Most Obnoxious Ever?" Good grief it never ends. I know it shouldn't bother me but it does. Go Duke!

Are you talking about this article?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/duke-ncaa-tournament-championship-coach-k-grayson-allen-harry-giles

As stupid as the title is, he actually says a fair amount of good things about our team, just clearly from an anti-Duke point of view. I'm not sure if he's trying to jinx us or not, but he's basically saying we're going to win it all, while admitting we're the most talented team in the country, and that we have maybe the best coach in any sport, ever. I'll take it.

Olympic Fan
03-14-2017, 01:15 PM

I wish I could share your optimism there, but aside from the whole 16 vs. 1 thing, Texas Southern is ...

How can I say this without offending anybody? Please forgive me if this turns out to be politically incorrect. But it's true.

Back in 2010, when the NCAA voted to expand to 68 teams and have four play-in games, there was a great debate over whether the extra teams should be the lower rated conferences or the lower rated at large teams (mostly from big conferences). In the end, they compromised that four of the teams would be the last four at large teams and four of the teams would be from the four weakest conferences.

But there was still a problem.

The MEAC and the SWAC are almost always the lowest rated conferences. They also happen to be the two conferences loaded with historically black institutions. There were whispers that if the NCAA routinely included its two black conferences in the play-in round, it would eventually stir an outcry.

So they compromised again. It's an unwritten rule, but every year ONE of the two black conferences gets relegated to the play-in round, the other moves into the round of 64 (usually as a 16 seed). Since 2012, the two leagues have alternated in the play-in round -- Mississippi Valley State (of the SWAC) in 2012; North Carolina A&T (of the MEAC) in 2013; Texas Southern (of the SWAC) in 2014; Hampton (of the MEAC) in 2015; Southern (of the SWAC) in 2016 ... and North Carolina Central (of the MEAC) in 2017.

The point is that NCCU (No. 152 in Pomeroy) is a better team than Texas Southern (207 in Pomeroy). A much better team. THEY ought to be playing UNC in Greenville. But it's the MEAC's turn to play in the play-in round, so they have to go to Dayton, while a weaker Texas Southern team gets the bye into the round of 64.

Now, NCCU would be a huge underdog against UNC, but I think with the in-state factor (like Northern Kentucky against Kentucky) and the fact that they are a better team (55 spots better in Pomeroy), they would have a better chance against the Heels.

Anyway, once again the Cheats get another scheduling break ...

Hingeknocker
03-14-2017, 02:01 PM
The point is that NCCU (No. 152 in Pomeroy) is a better team than Texas Southern (207 in Pomeroy). A much better team. THEY ought to be playing UNC in Greenville. But it's the MEAC's turn to play in the play-in round, so they have to go to Dayton, while a weaker Texas Southern team gets the bye into the round of 64.

Now, NCCU would be a huge underdog against UNC, but I think with the in-state factor (like Northern Kentucky against Kentucky) and the fact that they are a better team (55 spots better in Pomeroy), they would have a better chance against the Heels.

Wow, this is an interesting bit of history that I didn't know. Has it been written about anywhere?

It's also another strange entry into a committee that, for as much hype is thrown their way for being "locked in a conference room" and spending hours upon hours watching games and making prospective brackets, loves adhering to their own self-imposed rules more strictly than anything else. Refusing to look at metrics besides RPI; insistence on Top 50 or Top 100 wins as a defining component of a resume; certain conferences being categorized into the Play-In game every year. It would be nice if they actually did the hard work for the seeding process instead of following the same routine over and over.

Doria
03-14-2017, 02:11 PM
Yes, I would love to have a link to a good article about this (even excluding the unwritten rule). Very, very interesting. Thanks.

proelitedota
03-14-2017, 02:13 PM
For people who predicted the upset or was wary of Mercer in 2014, how you guys feel about our game with the Trojans.

Leaving out Lehigh because I think half the board saw the upset from a mile away.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 02:17 PM
For people who predicted the upset or was wary of Mercer in 2014, how you guys feel about our game with the Trojans.

Leaving out Lehigh because I think half the board saw the upset from a mile away.

The Duke team that faced Mercer played pretty poor defense. Mercer also had five or six seniors, including a five-year man.

I think our current Duke team is much more balanced and plays better defense -- for the most part.

I have a better feeling about the current team than that past one. But of course, anything can happen. And, to be fair, I had watched a bunch of Mercer games that season (or at least followed them) and they won the Southern Conference Tourney as well as being the regular season champs. I have not really watched Troy and I think tied for sixth in the Sun Belt Conference during the regular season, and the favorite got knocked out of the tournament before Troy would have played them.

Not taking anything away from Troy of course -- they are on a hot streak and won the tournament -- so they obviously can ball. Troy beat the 11, 3, 2 and 4 seeds in order in four days.

SCMatt33
03-14-2017, 02:31 PM
I wish I could share your optimism there, but aside from the whole 16 vs. 1 thing, Texas Southern is ...

How can I say this without offending anybody? Please forgive me if this turns out to be politically incorrect. But it's true.

Back in 2010, when the NCAA voted to expand to 68 teams and have four play-in games, there was a great debate over whether the extra teams should be the lower rated conferences or the lower rated at large teams (mostly from big conferences). In the end, they compromised that four of the teams would be the last four at large teams and four of the teams would be from the four weakest conferences.

The MEAC and the SWAC are almost always the lowest rated conferences. They also happen to be the two conferences loaded with historically black institutions. There were whispers that if the NCAA routinely included its two black conferences in the play-in round, it would eventually stir an outcry.

So they compromised again. It's an unwritten rule, but every year ONE of the two black conferences gets relegated to the play-in round, the other moves into the round of 64 (usually as a 16 seed). Since 2012, the two leagues have alternated in the play-in round -- Mississippi Valley State (of the SWAC) in 2012; North Carolina A&T (of the MEAC) in 2013; Texas Southern (of the SWAC) in 2014; Hampton (of the MEAC) in 2015; Southern (of the SWAC) in 2016 ... and North Carolina Central (of the MEAC) in 2017.

Just to add a bit to this, prior to the expansion, it was an actual rule that no conference could be in the play-in in consecutive years. Since the expansion, there have indeed been conferences going for multiple Years in a row. Most notably, the NEC is going to the First Four for the 5th consecutive year.

gam7
03-14-2017, 02:36 PM
The Duke team that faced Mercer played pretty poor defense. Mercer also had five or six seniors, including a five-year man.

I think our current Duke team is much more balanced and plays better defense -- for the most part.

I have a better feeling about the current team than that past one. But of course, anything can happen. And, to be fair, I had watched a bunch of Mercer games that season (or at least followed them) and they won the Southern Conference Tourney as well as being the regular season champs. I have not really watched Troy and I think tied for sixth in the Sun Belt Conference during the regular season, and the favorite got knocked out of the tournament before Troy would have played them.

Not taking anything away from Troy of course -- they are on a hot streak and won the tournament -- so they obviously can ball. Troy beat the 11, 3, 2 and 4 seeds in order in four days.

One of my takeaways from that incredible Reddit tourney preview document was that our transition defense eFG% against (not sure how "transition" is defined) is - not surprisingly - 12th percentile, while our non-transition defense eFG% is 95th percentile. If we can slow down teams from scoring in transition, we are a pretty effective defense. Maybe the way to think about it is that if we can keep teams from scoring within the first 5 seconds on the shot clock, we are relatively good at getting stops.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 02:39 PM
One of my takeaways from that incredible Reddit tourney preview document was that our transition defense eFG% against (not sure how "transition" is defined) is - not surprisingly - 12th percentile, while our non-transition defense eFG% is 95th percentile. If we can slow down teams from scoring in transition, we are a pretty effective defense. Maybe the way to think about it is that if we can keep teams from scoring within the first 5 seconds on the shot clock, we are relatively good at getting stops.

I think that's right, and I've noticed that our soft full-court press has been effective.

subzero02
03-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Are you talking about this article?

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/duke-ncaa-tournament-championship-coach-k-grayson-allen-harry-giles

As stupid as the title is, he actually says a fair amount of good things about our team, just clearly from an anti-Duke point of view. I'm not sure if he's trying to jinx us or not, but he's basically saying we're going to win it all, while admitting we're the most talented team in the country, and that we have maybe the best coach in any sport, ever. I'll take it.

It was a pretty good article considering that it's from USATODAY. He does seem to think that Grayson will be back next year. I agree with his thoughts on Giles.

azzefkram
03-14-2017, 03:10 PM

If Jayson and Luke have a game against Troy like Rodney and Jabari did against Mercer, I think things have a chance of getting dicey. I think the current team is better 1-7 than 2014 was, so that might mitigate an off night by Jayson and Luke. Grayson, Frank, Amile and, to some extent, Matt are better options to step up than Sheed, Quinn, Amile and Tyler.

CDu
03-14-2017, 03:34 PM
If Jayson and Luke have a game against Troy like Rodney and Jabari did against Mercer, I think things have a chance of getting dicey. I think the current team is better 1-7 than 2014 was, so that might mitigate an off night by Jayson and Luke. Grayson, Frank, Amile and, to some extent, Matt are better options to step up than Sheed, Quinn, Amile and Tyler.

That Mercer team was better than this Troy team.

azzefkram
03-14-2017, 03:39 PM
That Mercer team was better than this Troy team.

Yeah, that too. I also think Duke 2017 is better than Duke 2014.

rasputin
03-14-2017, 03:49 PM

There is also the notion in some circles that the NCAA does those schools/conferences a favor by having them in the play-in game, because if you win, you get to play in another game. They are both considered to be NCAA tournament games, and there is a financial benefit for both the team and the conference.

SCMatt33
03-14-2017, 04:07 PM
There is also the notion in some circles that the NCAA does those schools/conferences a favor by having them in the play-in game, because if you win, you get to play in another game. They are both considered to be NCAA tournament games, and there is a financial benefit for both the team and the conference.

Maybe that notion is put forward by NCAA staffers and coaches trying to make their teams feel better about it, but that's about it. There's a reason that even the NCAA gave up on the notion of pretending that tonight is the "first round" and Thursday is the "second round". Now you might say, but wait, wouldn't this win count the same as any other for financial purposes. Yes, winners tonight get the same tournament "unit" that you get for any other win, but a unit last year was worth $1.6 million, paid out to the conference over 6 years. If the MEAC were to play in the first four every year, and assuming that they won about half the time, this would result in about 800K per year in extra revenue to the conference, and 61k per team once its split among all thirteen schools. Certainly every bit helps, but an extra 61K hardly seems to be worth it.

Indoor66
03-14-2017, 04:55 PM
Maybe that notion is put forward by NCAA staffers and coaches trying to make their teams feel better about it, but that's about it. There's a reason that even the NCAA gave up on the notion of pretending that tonight is the "first round" and Thursday is the "second round". Now you might say, but wait, wouldn't this win count the same as any other for financial purposes. Yes, winners tonight get the same tournament "unit" that you get for any other win, but a unit last year was worth $1.6 million, paid out to the conference over 6 years. If the MEAC were to play in the first four every year, and assuming that they won about half the time, this would result in about 800K per year in extra revenue to the conference, and 61k per team once its split among all thirteen schools. Certainly every bit helps, but an extra 61K hardly seems to be worth it.

Depends on which end of the 61k your on.😎

rsvman
03-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Depends on which end of the 61k your on.😎

Amen, brother.

Reilly
03-14-2017, 05:17 PM
I think that's right, and I've noticed that our soft full-court press has been effective.

Seth Greenberg says it's not, and Jim Boeheim says there's no value in going to Greensboro. It's all been angrybaldmansplained so please quit trying to draw your own conclusions.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 05:26 PM
Seth Greenberg says it's not, and Jim Boeheim says there's no value in going to Greensboro. It's all been angrybaldmansplained so please quit trying to draw your own conclusions.

Well, I guess that's settled science then.

Indoor66
03-14-2017, 05:30 PM
Well, I guess that's settled science then.

Not yet. We still have to investigate the Russian involvement and influence. :cool:

Hingeknocker
03-14-2017, 05:43 PM
Here's an incredible piece of college basketball history: Troy (formerly Troy State) is the owner of the all-time record for most points scored in a college game. (They were in Division II at the time they set the record in 1992.) I had no idea they owned this record until a mini-documentary was released this week about it. It's a 30+ minute story, but it's one worth knowing, and there's a long time before our game with Troy on Friday evening!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4afzQyGo5Q

For the uninitiated, these videos are in a series called Pretty Good, by SB Nation's Jon Bois. They're irreverent, tangential, informative, deeply researched, and, well, pretty good.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 05:55 PM
Not yet. We still have to investigate the Russian involvement and influence. :cool:

#FakePost

davekay1971
03-14-2017, 06:16 PM
#FakePost

All I know is, if Duke loses on Friday, I'm going to consider the final score an alternative fact and happily wait to see them play again on Sunday.

Wander
03-14-2017, 06:19 PM
All I know is, if Duke loses on Friday, I'm going to consider the final score an alternative fact and happily wait to see them play again on Sunday.

Perhaps Duke will have less points in the end, but will have won a majority of 4-minute segments. Then we can advance on the basis of our electoral point total.

Kedsy
03-14-2017, 06:47 PM

Using Pomeroy's data, the odds of us winning against Lehigh in 2012 were 77.62%. The odds of us winning against Mercer in 2014 were 84.45%. The odds of us winning against Troy are 91.66%. Perhaps you can derive your comfort level from those numbers.

Tripping William
03-14-2017, 06:49 PM

Since he has started coming off the bench, I have begun referring to GA as Grayson-The-Microwave. Little did I know .....

Reilly
03-14-2017, 07:11 PM
... The odds of us winning against Troy are 91.66% ...

Is that like having an "A" heading into the final?

proelitedota
03-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Using Pomeroy's data, the odds of us winning against Lehigh in 2012 were 77.62%. The odds of us winning against Mercer in 2014 were 84.45%. The odds of us winning against Troy are 91.66%. Perhaps you can derive your comfort level from those numbers.

Do you have the figures for UNC W last year?

duketaylor
03-14-2017, 07:24 PM
Funny how Seth can complain about G'boro-much closer to VT than any other site. Boeheim just whines alot (more). Or have I completely missed the point of the post without reading several pagaes?

gam7
03-14-2017, 07:25 PM

Not the same methodology, and I don't have the historical numbers, but fivethirtyeight gives us a 97% chance of winning.

Reilly
03-14-2017, 07:29 PM
Per SRS, we're 22-23 points better than Troy.

The line is 19.

subzero02
03-14-2017, 07:50 PM

Troy pays 20 to 1 at treasure island(+2000).... Duke is -4000.

OldPhiKap
03-14-2017, 08:28 PM
Troy pays 20 to 1 at treasure island(+2000)... Duke is -4000.

AND you can go Gilley's. Best of both worlds.

tbyers11
03-14-2017, 08:33 PM

Last year Ken Pom had us a 73% favorite (7 points) over UNCW

proelitedota
03-14-2017, 08:52 PM
Last year Ken Pom had us a 73% favorite (7 points) over UNCW

Thanks! 1 more while you're at it.

What was MSU's chances over MTS last year.

Kedsy
03-14-2017, 09:18 PM

Pomeroy gave us a 72.28% of winning against UNCW. He predicted us to win by 6.2 points (actual point spread was 8).

He had Michigan State with a 92.2% chance of winning, as a 14.85 point favorite.

NOTE: My numbers come from Pre-T Pomeroy as published at the time, which may vary slightly from the numbers others supplied due to KenPom changing his formula between then and now.

proelitedota
03-14-2017, 09:54 PM
He had Michigan State with a 92.2% chance of winning, as a 14.85 point favorite.

It's over!

duke4ever19
03-14-2017, 10:29 PM
Pomeroy gave us a 72.28% of winning against UNCW. He predicted us to win by 6.2 points (actual point spread was 8).

NOTE: My numbers come from Pre-T Pomeroy as published at the time, which may vary slightly from the numbers others supplied due to KenPom changing his formula between then and now.

I'm actually re-watching this game right now. Middle Tennessee came out guns a'blazing. At the 15:30 mark of the first half, they were up 15 - 2 on Sparty.

Edit: I just realized that Mich. St. alum, Steve Smith, was calling that game. That had to suck.

subzero02
03-14-2017, 10:52 PM
I'm actually re-watching this game right now. Middle Tennessee came out guns a'blazing. At the 15:30 mark of the first half, they were up 15 - 2 on Sparty.

Edit: I just realized that Mich. St. alum, Steve Smith, was calling that game. That had to suck.

There are some parallels between last year's MSU team and this year's Duke team. Many pundits thought MSU was deserving of a 1 seed but they received a 2 seed... MSU won their conference tournament...both teams were peaking at the end of the year...MSU was probably the 2nd most popular pick to win the tournament behind UNC... they had a 90%+ chance of beating their 1st round opponent according to kenpom...

if Grant Hill is calling our game, it's over...

duke4ever19
03-14-2017, 10:55 PM

Moral of the story: (1) Sparty allowed Middle Tennessee to see their shots go down early and they clearly gained confidence from that.
(2) Sparty was limited on second-chance shots, due in part to a beautiful variety of defensive looks that Middle Tennessee threw at them to keep the Sparty offense confused.
(3) Middle Tennessee shot the 3-ball well. They had some sharpshooters on that team.

Perfect recipe for an upset.

duke4ever19
03-14-2017, 11:00 PM
There are some parallels between last year's MSU team and this year's Duke team. Many pundits thought MSU was deserving of a 1 seed but they received a 2 seed... MSU won their conference tournament...both teams were peaking at the end of the year...MSU was probably the 2nd most popular pick to win the tournament behind UNC... they had a 90%+ chance of beating their 1st round opponent according to kenpom...

Yes, I'm currently listening to Steve Smith talk about Sparty not getting the 1-seed. Meanwhile, Middle Tennessee is completely exposing them.

The fact that MSU was peaking at the right time is also interesting, although I think we have more explosive scorers than MSU. We just have "more" than this MSU team. Middle Tennessee flat-out looks like a better team than MSU. Besides the jerseys, you would swear a high major team was taking it to Izzo's squad. Every pass is crisp. They move in and out of a variety of zones with ease and also play great man-to-man.

Troy doesn't strike me as being capable of playing this level of basketball, but watching this game again is certainly a lesson in not overlooking any opponent.

NashvilleDevil
03-15-2017, 06:51 AM

If I remember MTSU also had a lot of rangy, athletic guys as well. From what I've read in this thread Troy does not have players like that. I'm getting nervous about Friday but that has more to do with always being nervous for Duke games.

Kedsy
03-15-2017, 08:20 AM
It's over!

I know you're joking, but since the tournament went to 64 teams, #2 seeds have won 93.75% of the time. So having a 91% or 92% chance of winning is right in line with history. Which means 6% or 7% (or maybe even 8% or 9%) of the time, those teams are going to lose. I don't know why, but people tend not to realize that even 92% is not 100%.

Indoor66
03-15-2017, 08:57 AM
I don't know why, but people tend not to realize that even 92% is not 100%.

Obviously a lack of a math gene.

OldPhiKap
03-15-2017, 10:16 AM
I know you're joking, but since the tournament went to 64 teams, #2 seeds have won 93.75% of the time. So having a 91% or 92% chance of winning is right in line with history. Which means 6% or 7% (or maybe even 8% or 9%) of the time, those teams are going to lose. I don't know why, but people tend not to realize that even 92% is not 100%.

Obviously a lack of a math gene.

Roughly the same as hitting a four-outer on the river in Texas Holdem. It happens.

Rich
03-15-2017, 10:27 AM

I can't remember who is calling our first round game, but Grant Hill is fortunately not one of them. He will, however, be calling our Final Four and Championship games.

(see what I did there)

sagegrouse
03-15-2017, 12:54 PM
I can't remember who is calling our first round game, but Grant Hill is fortunately not one of them. He will, however, be calling our Final Four and Championship games.

(see what I did there)

We get Brian Anderson, Chris Webber, and Lewis Johnson on Friday night.

If you want to see "brain dead," tune in to TBS at about 11:30 EDT: It looks like the trio is doing all four games in Greenville on Friday. The cable channel switches from TNT in the afternoon to TBS in the evening.

jv001
03-15-2017, 03:48 PM
Former Virginia coach, Pete Gillen who works for CBS Sports was on a panel of so called experts that were going over their Brackets. Pete in years past has always been pretty partial to Duke in his picks but Monday he went away from Duke. He has Wojo's Marquette knocking Duke out of the NCAAT. He thinks Marquette will shoot Duke out with their 3 point shooting. I don't know if he's correct in his statement that Marquette is the #1 three point shooting team in the tournament. However I do know that Duke is very good at taking away a team's 3 pointers. First Marquette must take care of SC and Duke must take care of Troy. I picked both to win their games. GoDuke!

I think Pete missed his calling. I believe he would be a great stand up comic. GoDuke!

English
03-15-2017, 04:22 PM
Former Virginia coach, Pete Gillen who works for CBS Sports was on a panel of so called experts that were going over their Brackets. Pete in years past has always been pretty partial to Duke in his picks but Monday he went away from Duke. He has Wojo's Marquette knocking Duke out of the NCAAT. He thinks Marquette will shoot Duke out with their 3 point shooting. I don't know if he's correct in his statement that Marquette is the #1 three point shooting team in the tournament. However I do know that Duke is very good at taking away a team's 3 pointers. First Marquette must take care of SC and Duke must take care of Troy. I picked both to win their games. GoDuke!

I think Pete missed his calling. I believe he would be a great stand up comic. GoDuke!

Marquette is, indeed, the top 3-pt shooting percentage team in the country. That's essentially how they beat Nova (well, that and Nova relaxed after having a double-digit lead through the first three quarters, and took their foot off the gas).

mgtr
03-15-2017, 05:00 PM

Or a weather forecaster!

OldPhiKap
03-15-2017, 05:01 PM

Or a weather forecaster!

These days, he'd have to grow his beard out wicked long.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 07:17 AM

I would prefer to wait a couple of games before laughing too hard... karma can be as vengeful as the weauf-gods.

jv001
03-16-2017, 07:30 AM
I would prefer to wait a couple of games before laughing too hard... karma can be as vengeful as the weauf-gods.

I actually think Gillen would be a good stand up comic. He's pretty funny and in the past has picked Duke to do well in the NCAAT. I like to hear him on CBS Sports and he might be correct in picking Marquette. I never take an opponent for granted and make rash predictions. GoDuke!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-16-2017, 07:37 AM
I actually think Gillen would be a good stand up comic. He's pretty funny and in the past has picked Duke to do well in the NCAAT. I like to hear him on CBS Sports and he might be correct in picking Marquette. I never take an opponent for granted and make rash predictions. GoDuke!

Thanks for the clarification. I am always wary of taking opponents for granted.

Reilly
03-16-2017, 07:39 AM
I thought Gillen worked for Nielsen.

Indoor66
03-16-2017, 07:47 AM
I thought Gillen worked for Nielsen.

That would be Leslie Nielsen....:cool:

whereinthehellami
03-16-2017, 08:38 AM
I really want to see Duke take the next step and just dominate teams that they should dominate. I think they can take the next step but will they? The Troy game is the first step. It should be over by half-time. The mental part of the game is huge at this time of the year. Where is Duke at mentally? Are they rested, focused, and hungry? Or are they mentally tired and satisfied with the amazing run they just went on? The Troy game will a good indicator. I'm hopeful!

Troublemaker
03-16-2017, 09:12 AM
I really want to see Duke take the next step and just dominate teams that they should dominate. I think they can take the next step but will they? The Troy game is the first step. It should be over by half-time. The mental part of the game is huge at this time of the year. Where is Duke at mentally? Are they rested, focused, and hungry? Or are they mentally tired and satisfied with the amazing run they just went on? The Troy game will a good indicator. I'm hopeful!

That's what I'm looking for, too. We've not blown out an NCAA tournament team yet this season. Would it surprise me if Troy played us uncomfortably close? No. But it also wouldn't surprise me if this game became the first time Duke stepped on an opponent's throat since early January, and that's what I'm hoping for.

Olympic Fan
03-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Just got to Greenville and drove downtown to check out the facilities.

For those of you visiting for the first time, just take I-85 until you reach I-385 North (exit 51). That's about 15 miles of four-lane highway. It turns into a city street when it reaches downtown. As soon as the speed limit drops to 35 mph, check to your right -- the arena will be right there. Turn right at the light and there is a parking garage on your right -- about 100 yards down. Event parking is $6.00 flat fee.

It is pretty empty this morning, but I bet it fills up fast on game-day. I didn't see any other options close (although there are other garages a few blocks away).

Coming in on I-385, I saw a sign for a parking shuttle to the arena, but I didn't check it out.

First time I have seen the arena in years and it is very impressive.

60sDukie
03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Don't know how parking will be for first session. Some people will still be using garages for work parking. There are several fairly large garages off of Richardson St / River St (parallel to Main). Those should be more available for 2nd session. My daughter and I will go early for first session (maybe UNC crowd will be late) and try for parking in the garage next to the arena or in an outside lot close by. If that doesn't work, will park at her house (not too bad a walk). As for the evening session (which includes USC) my husband is going to take the shuttle which sounds like a good deal. It will be from Redemption Outreach Church parking lot on Haywood Rd (google it for location) to arena. It will run about every 15 minutes and runs until 1 AM on Saturday morning. That would also be a good choice for 1st session I think. So excited - can't wait! Will be at public practice today.

Spanarkel
03-16-2017, 10:25 AM
Don't know how parking will be for first session. Some people will still be using garages for work parking. There are several fairly large garages off of Richardson St / River St (parallel to Main). Those should be more available for 2nd session. My daughter and I will go early for first session (maybe UNC crowd will be late) and try for parking in the garage next to the arena or in an outside lot close by. If that doesn't work, will park at her house (not too bad a walk). As for the evening session (which includes USC) my husband is going to take the shuttle which sounds like a good deal. It will be from Redemption Outreach Church parking lot on Haywood Rd (google it for location) to arena. It will run about every 15 minutes and runs until 1 AM on Saturday morning. That would also be a good choice for 1st session I think. So excited - can't wait! Will be at public practice today.

Thanks for the info! Can you please let other DBR posters who'll be coming know if the arena is cool/chilly inside, due to the minor league hockey team(Swamp Rabbits)'s playing there? Thank you! Let's go, Duke!

NYBri
03-16-2017, 10:43 AM
That's what I'm looking for, too. We've not blown out an NCAA tournament team yet this season. Would it surprise me if Troy played us uncomfortably close? No. But it also wouldn't surprise me if this game became the first time Duke stepped on an opponent's throat since early January, and that's what I'm hoping for.

It is for this reason that I'm not going with Duke in the NCAA Wager Contest. Giving away 20 pts is too steep for a team that hasn't crushed a team in a long while.

chriso
03-16-2017, 10:52 AM

My heart tells me we'll win but it will be close. You know, we go up 8 and then they cut it to 2 and we end up winning by 6. Like we always do. :) But I think this is a good "get out the kinks and maybe an ACC hangover and move on" game. Survive and advance.

60sDukie
03-16-2017, 11:06 AM
Thanks for the info! Can you please let other DBR posters who'll be coming know if the arena is cool/chilly inside, due to the minor league hockey team(Swamp Rabbits)'s playing there? Thank you! Let's go, Duke!

I went to Clemson home basketball games there last year and it was not noticeably chilly (didn't notice temperature at all - was just fine). Of course, I was in upper deck. Don't know how it was in lower seats closer to court. (That will also not be a concern for the weekend since our seats are high in upper deck.)

BandAlum83
03-16-2017, 11:16 AM
It is for this reason that I'm not going with Duke in the NCAA Wager Contest. Giving away 20 pts is too steep for a team that hasn't crushed a team in a long while.

I'm not going with Duke because I figure we will be getting some deep bench minutes toward the end of this game which will reduce the final margin.

Spanarkel
03-16-2017, 12:43 PM
I went to Clemson home basketball games there last year and it was not noticeably chilly (didn't notice temperature at all - was just fine). Of course, I was in upper deck. Don't know how it was in lower seats closer to court. (That will also not be a concern for the weekend since our seats are high in upper deck.)

Many thanks! Let's go, Duke!

Troublemaker
03-17-2017, 01:20 AM
Gotta say, I'm a little bit nervous that there was no Cinderella on Day 1. (C'mon now, everyone picked MTSU).

Hopefully our boys will step on the gas early vs Troy.

gofurman
03-17-2017, 01:29 AM
My heart tells me we'll win but it will be close. You know, we go up 8 and then they cut it to 2 and we end up winning by 6. Like we always do. :) But I think this is a good "get out the kinks and maybe an ACC hangover and move on" game. Survive and advance.

Any win is good. But someone once posted that every Duke natty has come when we won the first game by double digits. If we win by single digits n the first game it's a harbinger that we won't win it all. Someone feel free to check me but I recall a post from another thread that said all five titles came in years we put 10+ point wins on the first round opponents. Which makes since back in 91 92 01 when great players stayed three or four years

EDIT. Confirmed. All five titles we have ..we won the first game not just by double digits but by 20+. Every time. Something to keep in mind. Other schools have run like the cardiac pack but our banner years have always started with a whooping in the first game

Here's to winnin' by 20

proelitedota
03-17-2017, 01:40 AM
If we lose because we played tight and beat ourselves, K needs to reflect on his preparation for the tourney. It'll be the 3rd time in 5 years we get massively upset.

kAzE
03-17-2017, 01:43 AM
If we lose because we played tight and beat ourselves, K needs to reflect on his preparation for the tourney. It'll be the 3rd time in 5 years we get massively upset.

Really? Pessimistic much?

uh_no
03-17-2017, 01:47 AM

as I said upthread. we're not losing tomorrow. You can bank on it. put the house on blue.

MrPoon
03-17-2017, 02:37 AM

Really good point. Probably should start reflecting now. While reflecting, we should probably ignore the national championship victory that happened during that time, that probably isn't relevant. Maybe we should anticipate a massive upset next year too, in advance, just to put a nice round number on it, 4 out of 6 years. :rolleyes:

crimsondevil
03-17-2017, 03:23 AM

Really? Pessimistic much?

Also it's incorrect in both the spirit and the letter. If the worst were to happen, it would be 3 times in the last 6 tournaments, the way one would normally count such things. Also, the Lehigh game was Mar 16, 2012, now more than 5 years ago.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2017, 03:30 AM

Give me a National Championship once every five years, you can keep the other four.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2017, 04:58 AM

...and if we win it all this season, it will be the second time in three years. And if Moonlight wins the Best Picture Oscar next February, it'll be two years in a row and unprecedented!

Saratoga2
03-17-2017, 06:54 AM
Gotta say, I'm a little bit nervous that there was no Cinderella on Day 1. (C'mon now, everyone picked MTSU).

Hopefully our boys will step on the gas early vs Troy.

That's an important point. Both Gonzaga and Villanova came out slowly and were in a game at the half. Duke doesn't want to be lethargic coming out.

davekay1971
03-17-2017, 06:58 AM
That's an important point. Both Gonzaga and Villanova came out slowly and were in a game at the half. Duke doesn't want to be lethargic coming out.

This. Hopefully the Villanova and Gonzaga games served as a reminder to our young guys that no first round game can be taken for granted. Come out unfocused, and these teams will have you in a dogfight.

Kedsy
03-17-2017, 07:37 AM
Any win is good. But someone once posted that every Duke natty has come when we won the first game by double digits. If we win by single digits n the first game it's a harbinger that we won't win it all. Someone feel free to check me but I recall a post from another thread that said all five titles came in years we put 10+ point wins on the first round opponents. Which makes since back in 91 92 01 when great players stayed three or four years

EDIT. Confirmed. All five titles we have ..we won the first game not just by double digits but by 20+. Every time. Something to keep in mind. Other schools have run like the cardiac pack but our banner years have always started with a whooping in the first game

Here's to winnin' by 20

In 1986, we beat a #16 seed by 7 in the first round. In 1994, we beat a #15 seed by 12 in the first round (which is admittedly double-digits, but not by much). Both those teams made the NCAA finals and lost close games. I can't imagine the slim first-round margins had anything to do with keeping those two teams from winning the championship.

IMO, using a five game sample is not the same as a "harbinger."

moonpie23
03-17-2017, 08:13 AM
Game face !!!!!

wilson
03-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Game face !!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqKTKUvbVsA

brevity
03-17-2017, 09:04 AM
I can't imagine the slim first-round margins had anything to do with keeping those two teams from winning the championship.

Put another way...

2004 (7) Connecticut 89, (10) St. Joseph's 81 OT
1997 (4) Arizona 65, (13) South Alabama 57
1989 (3) Michigan 92, (14) Xavier 87
1985 (8) Villanova 51, (9) Dayton 49

Those are the champions of the 64-and-more team era who won their opening round game by a single digit margin. You may notice that none were particularly high seeds. In this exercise, I saw a handful of 1 and 2 seeds who won close opening games -- including the never-challenged UNC -- and got pretty far, but none of them won the title.

I also saw some high-seeded champs that started their runs winning by about 15 points. Considering the nature of endgame scenarios, I'm not sure how winning by 15 is that different than winning by 9, outside of a casino.

If I had this attitude, I'm pretty sure I'd be "massively upset" way more often than 3 times in 5 or 6 years.

OldPhiKap
03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe that every time we have won a National Championship, we won our last game in April.

Small sample size, sure. But I think it's a pretty reliable sign.

MaxAMillion
03-17-2017, 09:15 AM

This is really laughable considering the two national titles and the final 8 appearance that the team has had since 2010

uh_no
03-17-2017, 09:34 AM
Put another way...

2004 (7) Connecticut 89, (10) St. Joseph's 81 OT

2004???

NashvilleDevil
03-17-2017, 09:35 AM

I get being cautious but if you look at those first round losses Duke was primed. 2012 team was missing Ryan and Lehigh had an NBA All-Star caliber player. In 2014, that team's defense was atrocious and Jabari and Rodney were the only real go to guys on the team, Quinn and Rasheed were nice compliments that year but that's about it. This year Duke has a number of guys who they can rely on and perhaps for the first time all year they are healthy. They still have issues defensively but I thought they handled themselves well in the ACC tournamnet when they needed it. I am not predicting a thrashing by any means because this team has not won comfortably since the Georgia Tech game but I think they will win by 12-15 points after a jittery first half.

brevity
03-17-2017, 09:39 AM
2004???

Sorry, 2014. They did win in 2004 as well, as many DBR members would be eager to remind me, but not as a 7 seed.

hsheffield
03-17-2017, 11:37 AM
I get being cautious but if you look at those first round losses Duke was primed. 2012 team was missing Ryan and Lehigh had an NBA All-Star caliber player. In 2014, that team's defense was atrocious and Jabari and Rodney were the only real go to guys on the team, Quinn and Rasheed were nice compliments that year but that's about it. This year Duke has a number of guys who they can rely on and perhaps for the first time all year they are healthy. They still have issues defensively but I thought they handled themselves well in the ACC tournamnet when they needed it. I am not predicting a thrashing by any means because this team has not won comfortably since the Georgia Tech game but I think they will win by 12-15 points after a jittery first half.

'first time all year they are healthy'

I really hope you're right. Anyone know what Featherston was talking about when he said a few of our players were 'under the weather'?

NashvilleDevil
03-17-2017, 11:50 AM

I really hope you're right. Anyone know what Featherston was talking about when he said a few of our players were 'under the weather'?

I did say perhaps they are healthy for the first time all year.

Doria
03-17-2017, 11:52 AM
I don't particularly care how many we win by (although my blood pressure may disagree), but I'd like to see us play a good game for the entire 40 minutes. It's better to be a second-half team if you have to choose, but I'd like to be a complete game team, too.

gam7
03-17-2017, 11:53 AM

In the introductory remarks in his pregame presser, Coach K said that a couple of them are "under the weather" but everyone is playing and ready to go. He said it was not surprising given the mental and physical exertion last week. No one asked him who was under the weather, but in the players' pregame press conference, it is obvious that Amile is one of those players (Kennard and Matt did not sound sick). Both press conferences are available on goduke.com.

Rich
03-17-2017, 11:55 AM

Coach K mentioned that in his pre-Troy press conference, which can be found on GoDuke.com here -- http://www.goduke.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=6018231

To paraphrase, Coach K said a few of the players had colds, which was to be expected given the exertion of last week. It didn't seem to concern him.

chriso
03-17-2017, 01:32 PM
Play our game and we've got this. Does anyone else just want this day to be over? :rolleyes::cool: And as for my earlier "we'll win by 6" comment; let me go on record as saying I hope we double their score. :) Let's Go Duke!

DukieInBrasil
03-17-2017, 02:12 PM
is there an option to watch online that doesn't require you to pay? Thru the ESPN site it lets you watch for a bit before requiring you to sign in with your TV provider.

wilson
03-17-2017, 02:23 PM
is there an option to watch online that doesn't require you to pay? Thru the ESPN site it lets you watch for a bit before requiring you to sign in with your TV provider.Sling TV (https://www.sling.com/) has a free 7-day trial for new signups. Starts at $20/month after that.

Bob Green
03-17-2017, 02:26 PM
is there an option to watch online that doesn't require you to pay?

http://www.cbssports.com/

Troublemaker
03-17-2017, 02:27 PM
is there an option to watch online that doesn't require you to pay? Thru the ESPN site it lets you watch for a bit before requiring you to sign in with your TV provider.

Through the NCAA site, you can get a "temporary pass" as long as you disable any ad blocker.

For example, here's the link to the Oregon game: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/game/222

However, since they call it temporary, I would assume they eventually make you login to the TV provider.

Are there sites that will stream these games illegally? Yes, but then you have to worry about computer security.

wilson
03-17-2017, 02:28 PM
Through the NCAA site, you can get a "temporary pass" as long as you disable any ad blocker.

For example, here's the link to the Oregon game: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/game/222

However, since they call it temporary, I would assume they eventually make you login to the TV provider.

Are there sites that will stream these games illegally? Yes, but then you have to worry about computer security.You get 24 hours.

camion
03-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Are there sites that will stream these games illegally? Yes, but then you have to worry about computer security.

I watched through the NCAA site yesterday without a problem.

Here's a more general link: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/watch

Utley
03-17-2017, 03:06 PM
When was the last time a13 or higher seed didn't win a game?
The longer the tourney goes without a big upset the less I like playing Friday night.

On a positive note I do have my ACC tournament outfit on :-).

kAzE
03-17-2017, 03:16 PM

Anybody else going to wear the same outfit you had on for the ACC tournament?

I'm definitely wearing the same Duke t-shirt that I had on . . . I bought it right before the tournament, and had it on for each of the 4 games (didn't wash it, don't judge me.) That thing is magical as far as I'm concerned. If we win the title, I'm going to frame it.

DukeBlue666s
03-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Anybody else going to wear the same outfit you had on for the ACC tournament?

I'm definitely wearing the same Duke t-shirt that I had on . . . I bought it right before the tournament, and had it on for each of the 4 games (didn't wash it, don't judge me.) That thing is magical as far as I'm concerned. If we win the title, I'm going to frame it.

Plan on washing it before it hits the frame??

dukefan_828
03-17-2017, 03:31 PM
SI6HTS:cool::cool: Watching SMU play right now and boy are these guys "Man Sized".. might prefer to meet Baylor if we can get pass Troy tonight.

CDu
03-17-2017, 03:55 PM
SI6HTS:cool::cool: Watching SMU play right now and boy are these guys "Man Sized".. might prefer to meet Baylor if we can get pass Troy tonight.

To be fair, they are playing USC, who isn't very good.

And Baylor is a really big, physical team, too.

Baylor is taller inside, shorter on the perimeter. SMU is a bunch of 6'6"ish guys across the board. But both are stout.

Kedsy
03-17-2017, 04:11 PM
The longer the tourney goes without a big upset the less I like playing Friday night.

It was 2007. Only two double-digit seeds made it out of the first round, both 11 seeds (and one of those, sadly, beat Duke).

SCMatt33
03-17-2017, 04:15 PM

It used to be more common. Looking back as far as 2000, it's happened 3 times (2000, 2004, 2007)

-jk
03-17-2017, 06:17 PM
DBR Chat (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox) is open!

If it gets a bit slow, refresh the page. If you're on a mobile device, you'll need to select "Blue" at the bottom.

As always - please follow the DBR Posting Guidelines.

Let's Go Duke! Survive and advance!

-jk

NashvilleDevil
03-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Getting anxious for the game to tip. Really want to relax watching this game.

Doria
03-17-2017, 07:03 PM
Getting anxious for the game to tip. Really want to relax watching this game.

Would be super nice.

DukieInBrasil
03-17-2017, 07:05 PM
I watched through the NCAA site yesterday without a problem.

Here's a more general link: http://www.ncaa.com/march-madness-live/watch

i guess i just don't pay enough for my internet.

Indoor66
03-17-2017, 07:09 PM
Comcast is down here and has been since about Noon. I am watching at a friends place - AT&T. Just not the same.😈😎

dukelifer
03-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Would be super nice.

Geez even Kansas is being tested

kako
03-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Wow, Duke is ready to play! Nice defense and shooting is hot. It would be nice for Allen and Giles to have a good game to keep their momentum going.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 07:31 PM
16-4
Looking good early.
Watch the fouls though.

BigZ
03-17-2017, 07:32 PM
Great seeing Matt score

monkey
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Matt looks like he's found his stroke...

whereinthehellami
03-17-2017, 07:33 PM
Nice start, keep it up Duke. Duke hit some early threes, let's get to the hoop and punish them.

Edouble
03-17-2017, 07:34 PM
I know the Troy coach is not used to TV timeouts, but I feel like he burned a timeout there unnecessarily. One possession away from the under 16:00 TV timeout.

chriso
03-17-2017, 07:37 PM
I know the Troy coach is not used to TV timeouts, but I feel like he burned a timeout there unnecessarily. One possession away from the under 16:00 TV timeout.

14 point lead. So far so good! Go Matt Jones!

kako
03-17-2017, 07:45 PM
I hope K gives Bolden some 1st half minutes to work on his D.

monkey
03-17-2017, 07:46 PM
Let's go boys, buckle down on defense

rsvman
03-17-2017, 07:47 PM
31 points in the first quarter is pretty hard to keep up with.

whereinthehellami
03-17-2017, 07:48 PM
Giles looking a little hesitant so far. Everyone else looks pretty loose. I like the sharing of the ball so far, hope they keep it up.

Fouls piling up on Troy, I like it.

kako
03-17-2017, 07:50 PM
Giles looking a little hesitant so far.

He was out of position a couple of times on defense.

monkey
03-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Letting these guys hang around...

jipops
03-17-2017, 07:55 PM
Defense looking like January right now

BigZ
03-17-2017, 07:57 PM
Terrible defensive rebounding

chriso
03-17-2017, 08:00 PM
Who is this Grayson Allen guy who keeps scoring? ESPN should do a feature on him. :) And Vrank the Tank to the rescue!

rsvman
03-17-2017, 08:02 PM
Pretty happy with the offense, though, for the most part.