PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Midwest Regional Thread (Kansas, Louisville, Oregon, Purdue)

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 05:33 PM
Discuss the Midwest here.

gocanes0506
03-12-2017, 05:56 PM
Kansas pulled tough 8-9 matchup.

TexHawk
03-12-2017, 06:26 PM
Kansas pulled tough 8-9 matchup.

Miami is solid. But in any other year, Michigan State would not even sniff the tournament. They are trading on two wins over Minnesota, a win over Northwestern, and a home win over a ranked Wisconsin team that slipped to a #8 seed. They aren't getting dinged for the home loss to Northeastern because Miles Bridges was hurt. (Now watch them make the E8.) Bill Self does struggle against Tom Izzo, if that were to happen.

More to come on this region obviously, but the sneaky local story will be Iowa State as a #5 seed, possibly playing in Kansas City. They *OWN* KC during the Big12 Tournament, because it's their Super Bowl, even when they lose early. They have had a decided homecourt advantage there lately, due to KU fans not really caring about the conference tournament much these days. A theoretical matchup with Kansas in the S16 would blow the roof off the place.

If they get to the S16 and KU loses to Miami/MSU, the 'Clones are taking this region. They won't lose there to anyone in this region with a home advantage, outside of KU.

TKG
03-12-2017, 06:36 PM
Tough article from The NY Times on Kansas:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/03/08/sports/kansas-jayhawks-big-12-ncaa-tournament

UT Dukie
03-12-2017, 07:13 PM
If I could guess no one wins this region, I'd go with that. I think Louisville will choke, Michigan will lose the lightning, and Iowa St/Kansas will end in a tie after 62 overtimes late on a Wed night. Then there will be freak snowstorm in Phoenix resulting in a delayed flight on Saturday afternoon, and the Final Four game will be forfeited. And Ole Roy won't give a s**t about Kansas.

ice-9
03-12-2017, 08:44 PM
I'm going chalk for the second weekend: Kansas, Louisville, Oregon and Purdue, with Kansas winning the region. Louisville is a weak 2-seed but Oregon is missing Boucher.

For the first weekend I have Nevada and Rhode Island for upsets. URI was a pre-season top 25 team who had injuries during the season, but everyone is healthy now and the team is playing well. Don't think they'll beat Oregon though -- still good even without Boucher.

This is a very friendly bracket for Kansas. Decent chance for Louisville to get upset by Michigan in the second round.

Newton_14
03-12-2017, 09:04 PM
I'm going chalk for the second weekend: Kansas, Louisville, Oregon and Purdue, with Kansas winning the region. Louisville is a weak 2-seed but Oregon is missing Boucher.

For the first weekend I have Nevada and Rhode Island for upsets. URI was a pre-season top 25 team who had injuries during the season, but everyone is healthy now and the team is playing well. Don't think they'll beat Oregon though -- still good even without Boucher.

This is a very friendly bracket for Kansas. Decent chance for Louisville to get upset by Michigan in the second round.

Can't agree with juwono on this one sorry. :). I was super impressed with Louisville in their loss to us. They played at an extremely high level against us and only lost because we played at an even higher level than them. They are my pick to win this Region and head to the Final Four where they will most likely beat uncCheat. (I think they are on the same side as the South Region right?)

If we were to be a 2 seed I had hoped we would be the 2 in the Kansas region. I wanted that rematch badly. They barely beat us without Tatum, Giles, and Bolden, and with Grayson playing injured. I would gladly play them for the National Title or in the semi's if I am crossed up on which region winners are paired together.

ice-9
03-12-2017, 09:34 PM
Can't agree with juwono on this one sorry. :)

I look like a fool every March and I don't expect this year to be any different. :D

jv001
03-12-2017, 11:32 PM
Iowa State...just feeling it...
GoDuke!

duke4ever19
03-12-2017, 11:56 PM
Can't agree with juwono on this one sorry. :). I was super impressed with Louisville in their loss to us. They played at an extremely high level against us and only lost because we played at an even higher level than them. They are my pick to win this Region and head to the Final Four where they will most likely beat uncCheat. (I think they are on the same side as the South Region right?)

If we were to be a 2 seed I had hoped we would be the 2 in the Kansas region. I wanted that rematch badly. They barely beat us without Tatum, Giles, and Bolden, and with Grayson playing injured. I would gladly play them for the National Title or in the semi's if I am crossed up on which region winners are paired together.

They missed a ton of free-throws too.

Troublemaker
03-13-2017, 07:38 AM
Wow, this is the region I totally don't care about. It's all the way on the other side of the bracket. I have no real attachment to either of the ACC teams (Lville, Miami) in it. Win, lose -- I don't particularly care.

Whereas, the South region is ALSO on the other side of the bracket, BUT at least I get to root against UNC and then Kentucky if UNC falls.

I've always been neutral on Kansas.

So, for me, this region is borrrriiiiiiiing.

Doria
03-13-2017, 07:42 AM
Wow, this is the region I totally don't care about. It's all the way on the other side of the bracket. I have no real attachment to either of the ACC teams (Lville, Miami) in it. Win, lose -- I don't particularly care.

Whereas, the South region is ALSO on the other side of the bracket, BUT at least I get to root against UNC and then Kentucky if UNC falls.

Somewhat irrationally, I still hold 1988 against Kansas. Sports grudges are scary things...

flyingdutchdevil
03-13-2017, 09:26 AM

After Kansas's multiple run-ins with the law this year, I'm looking for these guys to go down hard.

Also, I really like Louisville. I take that back - I really like Pitino. He's an Xs and Os genius whose teams play hard. That Duke/Louisville game was the best game of the year in terms of basketball coaching/execution.

Wander
03-13-2017, 01:44 PM
How did we let this drop to the 2nd page?

I picked Purdue. Partly that's because my other picks were 1 or 2 seeds, but I feel like they are a team that's just sort of due for a sneaky Final Four run. And I think the path will work out decently with Oregon's injury and Iowa State being upset in the first round.

TexHawk
03-13-2017, 01:55 PM
After Kansas's multiple run-ins with the law this year, I'm looking for these guys to go down hard.

Also, I really like Louisville. I take that back - I really like Pitino. He's an Xs and Os genius whose teams play hard. That Duke/Louisville game was the best game of the year in terms of basketball coaching/execution.

Ah yes... Let's use morality to pick for the teams to root for. I mean, the KU guys aren't so good and leaving their insurance info after fender benders, while Louisville pays prosititutes to have sex with recruits. Seems about right to me.

(I kid, I kid.)

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 02:36 PM
Ah yes... Let's use morality to pick for the teams to root for. I mean, the KU guys aren't so good and leaving their insurance info after fender benders, while Louisville pays prosititutes to have sex with recruits. Seems about right to me.

(I kid, I kid.)

Not quite the Methodists vs the Catholics but you have to dance with who brung you.

Reilly
03-15-2017, 08:22 PM
Central's coach channelling Bear Bryant with his blazer choice.

dukelifer
03-15-2017, 08:30 PM
Central's coach channelling Bear Bryant with his blazer choice.

If NCCU could shoot they would be winning easily. They play swarming D.

dukelifer
03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
If NCCU could shoot they would be winning easily. They play swarming D.

A tight game - NCCU making all sorts of mistakes but have a chance.

dukelifer
03-15-2017, 08:44 PM
A tight game - NCCU making all sorts of mistakes but have a chance.

Central with so many chances. Could not make shots.

Olympic Fan
03-15-2017, 09:45 PM
I'm going to be hyper-critical here, but with LaVelle Moton being pushed as a candidate for the NC State job, I have to say that his team didn't impress me with end-of-game execution.

Down one with 32 seconds left, he had a timeout to set up a game-winning shot. But UCF Davis came out in a 1-3-1 zone that seemed to flummox the NCCU kids. They passed it from the middle to the left wing, back to the middle, back to the left wing, then back to the middle, where they launch a long, well-defended 3 that doesn't come close. Not only did they never try to penetrate against the zone, they never reversed the ball right, where their best player was waiting (and looked open to me).

They looked like a totally befuddled team.

I know that's a lot to read into one possession, but still, didn't look good to me. They did play hard on defense (and that would be a step up for NC State).

chriso
03-15-2017, 11:43 PM
If I could guess no one wins this region, I'd go with that. I think Louisville will choke, Michigan will lose the lightning, and Iowa St/Kansas will end in a tie after 62 overtimes late on a Wed night. Then there will be freak snowstorm in Phoenix resulting in a delayed flight on Saturday afternoon, and the Final Four game will be forfeited. And Ole Roy won't give a s**t about Kansas.
I lovingly refer to this bracket as the "Wow I could really care less who wins this bracket." Let's go Duke!!!:cool:

Ultrarunner
03-16-2017, 12:02 AM
I lovingly refer to this bracket as the "Wow I could really care less who wins this bracket." Let's go Duke!!!:cool:

I disagree. I want another ACC team in the FF. Since UNcheat is not in the bracket, I find no conflicts. Go Louisville. Or Miami.

throatybeard
03-16-2017, 10:26 AM
How did we let this drop to the 2nd page?

People have loaded page one up with new threads on hypothetical scenarios.

Indoor66
03-16-2017, 10:35 AM
People have loaded page one up with new threads on hypothetical scenarios.

The continual joy of mental masterbation.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-17-2017, 07:43 AM
The continual joy of mental masterbation.

Mental... that's the ticket.

mgtr
03-17-2017, 08:09 AM
So you only think you go blind?

CameronBlue
03-18-2017, 11:27 PM

That may change as more people see Caleb Swanigan for the first time as I did this evening. So as I type this note ISU has cut Purdue's 16 point lead to 5. Still Swanigan looks like the best player in the tournament at this point.

eddiehaskell
03-18-2017, 11:42 PM
Amazing how teams like Purdue and Iowa St now look to be in a different class than FSU/Miami/VT/Virginia. They look like 1 seeds out there playing grown man basketball. The same could be said for MSU.

duke4ever19
03-18-2017, 11:45 PM
That may change as more people see Caleb Swanigan for the first time as I did this evening. So as I type this note ISU has cut Purdue's 16 point lead to 5. Still Swanigan looks like the best player in the tournament at this point.

He would've looked good in Duke blue. He had UK, Arizona and Mich. St. after him too and opted for Purdue.

eddiehaskell
03-18-2017, 11:47 PM
Btw - Burton and Swaningan. It looks like Malone and Barkley playing each other.

Bob Green
03-19-2017, 02:50 PM
With Michigan knocking off #2 Seed Louisville, the Wolverines look primed to make a run to the Final Four. They looked very poised down the stretch today.