PDA

View Full Version : NCAA South Regional Thread (UNC, UK, UCLA, Butler)

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 05:32 PM
Discuss the South here.

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Cakewalk for UNC to the elite 8

Utley
This was projected to be the easy bracket - and I think it proved to be.

CDu
This was projected to be the easy bracket - and I think it proved to be.

The bottom half is tough. The top half is not.

flyingdutchdevil
03-12-2017, 05:59 PM
Cakewalk for UNC to the elite 8

Agreed. But bottom half is really tough. Kentucky must be pissed

gocanes0506
03-12-2017, 06:00 PM
Unx pulled a ridiculously easy top half of the bracket.

TKG
03-12-2017, 06:01 PM
Kentucky must be pissed

Kentucky fans are pissed about anything other than just giving them the NCAAT in November. They are going to I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. no matter what...

GGLC
03-12-2017, 06:04 PM
I hate those undeserving, despicable cheaters. Absurd.

toughbuff1
03-12-2017, 06:07 PM
I think Minnesota is the five seed, you have Arkansas listed twice

Doria
03-12-2017, 06:19 PM
Yeah, there are good teams at the bottom (e.g., UK and UCLA), but who's even on the top?!

pfrduke
03-12-2017, 06:24 PM
According to Pomeroy, UNC got the 2nd weakest #8 (ranked 38, one spot ahead of Northwestern), the weakest #9 (ranked 53), the weakest #4 (ranked 26), AND the weakest #5 (ranked 33). Them not making the elite 8 would be a huge upset. Ugh.

DukieInKansas
03-12-2017, 06:32 PM
I'm pulling for the first #16 upset of a #1. :D

9F

UrinalCake
03-12-2017, 06:32 PM
Looks like we got the lowest #2 which I think is a joke. But honestly, if I had to choose between our projected path of:
South Carolina
Baylor
Villanova/Florida

Or UNC's projected path of
Seton Hall
Butler
UCLA/Kentucky

I think I would take ours. Seton Hall is a sneaky good team who just lost to Villanova by 2, Butler is a legit threat, and it's almost guaranteed they will have to play either UCLA (who I wanted no part of) or Kentucky who is always dangerous. I probably should be more scared of Villanova, but I'm not. I think we can defend them. And Baylor got a high seed mostly based on how well they were playing in November, they have since fallen off. Plus we get to stay in the East.

If you gave me the option of trading spots with UNC right now, I would say no. Other than the bragging rights of having a number 1 next to your name, I think we're in a better position.

CDu
03-12-2017, 06:33 PM
Looks like we got the lowest #2 which I think is a joke. But honestly, if I had to choose between our projected path of:
South Carolina
Baylor
Villanova/Florida

Or UNC's projected path of
Seton Hall
Butler
UCLA/Kentucky

I think I would take ours. Seton Hall is a sneaky good team who just lost to Villanova by 2, Butler is a legit threat, and it's almost guaranteed they will have to play either UCLA (who I wanted no part of) or Kentucky who is always dangerous. I probably should be more scared of Villanova, but I'm not. I think we can defend them. Plus we get to stay in the East.

If you gave me the option of trading spots with UNC right now, I would say no. Other than the bragging rights of having a number 1 next to your name, I think we're in a better position.

We didn't get the lowest #2. They do not seed on an S-curve.

Olympic Fan
03-12-2017, 06:34 PM
For what it's worth, the Wake-Kansas State play-in game will be 9:10 p.m. Tuesday from Dayton.

weezie
03-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Torn....ucla or ky. Lot depends on the refs, as it always does. If they cocoon Lonzo in bubble wrap, maybe. ky rising too.

vfefrenzy
03-12-2017, 07:01 PM
I don't understand NC (let's be honest, they aren't a U) getting the ! over a Kentucky team that a) has a better record, b) won their conference tourney, and c) beat them head-to-head on a neutral court. Is getting 1 win in 3 tries against Duke that big of a boost in the committee's eyes?

UT Dukie
03-12-2017, 07:04 PM
Seems like the Sweet 16 matchup will determine the ultimate regional winner here.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-12-2017, 08:22 PM
I could see UNC being fresh from an easy Sweet 16 game, while the winner of the Kentucky-UCLA slugfest is worn out.

ice-9
03-12-2017, 08:56 PM
UNC got a gift here. Most of the teams in the top half are over-seeded. I've got Winthrop upsetting Butler.

Kentucky has got the worst draw. If they can get through Wichita St, UCLA and UNC, they would have absolutely earned a spot in the Final Four.

I do think Kentucky has enough to beat UCLA but I don't think they win the rematch with UNC.

Dukehky
03-12-2017, 09:38 PM
This is laughable. I cannot believe they got this again.

UrinalCake
03-12-2017, 09:44 PM
Kentucky has got the worst draw. If they can get through Wichita St, UCLA and UNC, they would have absolutely earned a spot in the Final Four.

Yep, Wichita St. was very underseeded, I would love to see them upset UK like they almost did a few years ago in the 1-9 matchup.

I also wanted to point out that last year UNC's draw was actually pretty tough if you looked at their bracket at the start of the tournament. It just so happened that it completely imploded and everything broke in UNC's favor, including a FF matchup with the 10th seeded Syracuse.

MarkD83
03-12-2017, 10:10 PM
Anyone "other" than UNC.....

TexHawk
03-12-2017, 10:11 PM
Yep, Wichita St. was very underseeded, I would love to see them upset UK like they almost did a few years ago in the 1-9 matchup.

Maybe this is just worded weirdly, but Wichita State was #1 in the country and undefeated entering that 1-9 game. That would not have been an upset.

cbarry
03-12-2017, 10:55 PM
I also wanted to point out that last year UNC's draw was actually pretty tough if you looked at their bracket at the start of the tournament. It just so happened that it completely imploded and everything broke in UNC's favor, including a FF matchup with the 10th seeded Syracuse.
Doesn't it seem like this ALWAYS happens to UNC?! The higher seeded teams are upset, leaving UNC to play the lower seeded (worse) teams. Last year was ridiculous. Let's hope the seeds hold in this region so UNC will at least have to break a sweat to get to the final 4! Even better- they lose to a low seed (heck, they can lose to ANYONE, and I'll be happy/relieved)

SoCalDukeFan
03-12-2017, 11:32 PM
According to Pomeroy, UNC got the 2nd weakest #8 (ranked 38, one spot ahead of Northwestern), the weakest #9 (ranked 53), the weakest #4 (ranked 26), AND the weakest #5 (ranked 33). Them not making the elite 8 would be a huge upset. Ugh.

ACC Schedule

SoCal

Troublemaker
03-13-2017, 07:12 AM
Ugh.

I really want to root for Wichita St to beat Kentucky, but I also can't stand the fact that UNC has a cakewalk to the Elite 8.

Yeah, I can't do it. If UNC is going to make the Final Four, I'm going to want them to have to go through Kentucky in Memphis to do it. Go Cats! (Ugh!!!)

(More precisely, what I'll be doing is hoping that UNC games are always played earlier than Kentucky games. That way, if UNC wins its game, THEN I'll root for Kentucky to maintain pace. If UNC loses, I can go ahead and root against UK.)

dukelifer
03-13-2017, 07:27 AM
Ugh.

I really want to root for Wichita St to beat Kentucky, but I also can't stand the fact that UNC has a cakewalk to the Elite 8.

Yeah, I can't do it. If UNC is going to make the Final Four, I'm going to want them to have to go through Kentucky in Memphis to do it. Go Cats! (Ugh!!!)

(More precisely, what I'll be doing is hoping that UNC games are always played earlier than Kentucky games. That way, if UNC wins its game, THEN I'll root for Kentucky to maintain pace. If UNC loses, I can go ahead and root against UK.)

UNC clearly depends on Berry and if Jackson continues his shooting slump- they could be in trouble. But if both regain focus and play- they should coast into the FF.

jipops
03-13-2017, 08:53 AM
Amazing that a program so scandal ridden is so rewarded. ACC regular season champs with all 5 conference road wins against the bottom 6 of the conference (WFU the only tournament team). #1 seed with 7 losses and zero marquee wins away from the Dean Dome, unless you count Miami in the ACCT. They do only have the one bad loss, GTech. The cheats being a #1 seed has no rational argument.

Under Roy, the cheats have made the Elite 8 every time as a #1 seed. This won't be any different, though I'm willing to bet Butler will put up a decent fight. As for the lower part of the bracket the cheats only have to play one of those teams. My money is on Wichita State which means they will be playing a 10 seed to get into the Final Four... because of course they will.

jipops
03-13-2017, 08:55 AM
Ugh.

I hate being put into a position to root for UK every season, and now twice for this season.

weezie
03-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Offer it up for the souls in Purgatory.

"Every day, in every way, I'm going to say, anybody but the holes." Always and forever.

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 12:06 PM
Offer it up for the souls in Purgatory.

"Every day, in every way, I'm going to say, anybody but the holes." Always and forever.

But don't you want a chance to beat the Heels a third time this year?

[anyway I don't think you need to worry--I don't see us getting past either the Wildcats or the Bruins. This team has beaten me into objectivity.]

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-13-2017, 01:13 PM
Amazing that a program so scandal ridden is so rewarded. ACC regular season champs with all 5 conference road wins against the bottom 6 of the conference (WFU the only tournament team). #1 seed with 7 losses and zero marquee wins away from the Dean Dome, unless you count Miami in the ACCT. They do only have the one bad loss, GTech. The cheats being a #1 seed has no rational argument.

Under Roy, the cheats have made the Elite 8 every time as a #1 seed. This won't be any different, though I'm willing to bet Butler will put up a decent fight. As for the lower part of the bracket the cheats only have to play one of those teams. My money is on Wichita State which means they will be playing a 10 seed to get into the Final Four... because of course they will.
It is truly unbelievable (well, I guess actually believable at this point!) that the $#!+ heels were able to con everyone into letting them have their entire 2015-16 season and title run. And here we are another year later and they've somehow managed to squeeze another tourney run out of all of this. The cheater puppet masters have played their game well.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 01:15 PM
It is truly unbelievable (well, I guess actually believable at this point!) that the $#!+ heels were able to con everyone into letting them have their entire 2015-16 season and title run. And here we are another year later and they've somehow managed to squeeze another tourney run out of all of this. The cheater puppet masters have played their game well.

"Justice delayed is justice well-defended"

-- OPK, on occasion

howardlander
03-13-2017, 01:23 PM
So am I the only one to pick Butler over UNC? Remember, these guys beat Villanova twice, which means they have at least one more serious road/neutral court win than do the cheaters. Butler will control the tempo.

Howard

pfrduke
03-13-2017, 01:28 PM
So am I the only one to pick Butler over UNC? Remember, these guys beat Villanova twice, which means they have at least one more serious road/neutral court win than do the cheaters. Butler will control the tempo.

Howard

It's really not a good matchup for Butler. They're terrible defending 2 point shooting and they're not a great rebounding team. Meeks and Hicks should feast. Butler could always get hot from 3, but I don't really think they could stop UNC from scoring enough to win.

Reilly
03-13-2017, 01:56 PM
... Under Roy, the cheats have made the Elite 8 every time as a #1 seed. This won't be any different, though I'm willing to bet Butler will put up a decent fight. As for the lower part of the bracket the cheats only have to play one of those teams. My money is on Wichita State which means they will be playing a 10 seed to get into the Final Four... because of course they will.

I used to follow a lot of CBB teams closely and would make bracket selections accordingly. As I get older, I don't follow individual teams so carefully, but do rely on experience to see how life often repeats itself, and I try to discern patterns and make selections based on those patterns. So, this year in the South I just kept asking myself "what will give unc the easiest path" ...

UNCfan
03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
It's really not a good matchup for Butler. They're terrible defending 2 point shooting and they're not a great rebounding team. Meeks and Hicks should feast. Butler could always get hot from 3, but I don't really think they could stop UNC from scoring enough to win.

Butler has had UNC's number recently. Smart teams that shoot well from 3 give us trouble.

devildeac
03-13-2017, 02:22 PM
Butler has had UNC's number recently. Smart teams that shoot well from 3 give us trouble.

Plus, Butler has 2 wins over a #1 seed this year, just like a lower-seeded team in the East Regional does.

;)

tbyers11
03-13-2017, 02:45 PM
"Justice delayed is justice well-defended"

-- OPK, on occasion

"Justise is one heck of a defender" - Me watching Duke in 2015 :D

Highlander
03-13-2017, 03:09 PM
Kind of surprised UK didn't get more talk as a potential #1 seed. Yes, the SEC is and always has been garbage in basketball, but UK ended with a better overall record than UNC, and won their regular season AND conference titles, while UNC only managed one of those. UK also beat UNC head to head. In nonconference play, UK crushed MSU early in the year, and played UCLA, KU, and UL close. That's much better than anyone on UNC's noncom slate outside of the Cats. Granted, UK lost to both KU and UL, but their RPI is still higher than UNC's, and they last lost in early February.

UK has 1 "bad" loss (Tennessee). Rest of them are UL (2 seed), KU (1 seed), UCLA (3 seed), and Florida (4 seed). 5 total losses.
Compare that to UNC - who lost twice to teams who failed to make the dance - Miami (8 seed), GT (N/A), Indiana (N/A), Duke 2x (2 seed), UK (2 seed), and UVA (5 seed). 7 total losses.

As for wins, UK's best wins are UNC (1 seed), Florida (4 seed), South Carolina (7 seed), Vanderbilt 2x (9 seed), MSU (9 seed). 2 were true road games.
UNC's best wins are Duke (2 seed), UL (2 seed), FSU (3 seed), UVA (5 seed), ND (5 seed), Miami (8 seed), Wisconsin (8 seed), and VT (9 seed). Every single one of those wins was at home or on a neutral court.

In the end, UNC has 2 more quality wins, and 1 more "bad" loss, and it seems the committee gives UNC more credit for beating UL at home than UK got credit for beating UNC on the road. Go figure.

If anyone has a gripe to the #1 seed in the south, in my mind it's the Cats, not us. Plus, UNC with UCLA as their 3 and UK as the 1 would be murderer's row.

CDu
03-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Kind of surprised UK didn't get more talk as a potential #1 seed. Yes, the SEC is and always has been garbage in basketball, but UK ended with a better overall record than UNC, and won their regular season AND conference titles, while UNC only managed one of those. UK also beat UNC head to head. In nonconference play, UK crushed MSU early in the year, and played UCLA, KU, and UL close. That's much better than anyone on UNC's noncom slate outside of the Cats. Granted, UK lost to both KU and UL, but their RPI is still higher than UNC's, and they last lost in early February.

UK has 1 "bad" loss (Tennessee). Rest of them are UL (2 seed), KU (1 seed), UCLA (3 seed), and Florida (4 seed). 5 total losses.
Compare that to UNC - who lost twice to teams who failed to make the dance - Miami (8 seed), GT (N/A), Indiana (N/A), Duke 2x (2 seed), UK (2 seed), and UVA (5 seed). 7 total losses.

As for wins, UK's best wins are UNC (1 seed), Florida (4 seed), South Carolina (7 seed), Vanderbilt 2x (9 seed), MSU (9 seed). 2 were true road games.
UNC's best wins are Duke (2 seed), UL (2 seed), FSU (3 seed), UVA (5 seed), ND (5 seed), Miami (8 seed), Wisconsin (8 seed), and VT (9 seed). Every single one of those wins was at home or on a neutral court.

In the end, UNC has 2 more quality wins, and 1 more "bad" loss, and it seems the committee gives UNC more credit for beating UL at home than UK got credit for beating UNC on the road. Go figure.

If anyone has a gripe to the #1 seed in the south, in my mind it's the Cats, not us. Plus, UNC with UCLA as their 3 and UK as the 1 would be murderer's row.

I think the committee decided early on that the winner of the ACC regular season would get a #1 seed. That was UNC. In spite of the fact that UNC's resume isn't all that impressive when you break it down.

I agree that Kentucky's resume looks better. I would argue that Duke's is better too - especially if you consider injuries contributing to our losses. But our resume wasn't as good as UNC's as of last Wednesday, and the committee decided not to completely update their views based on the tournament. So here we are.

Troublemaker
03-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Howard

That said, I did pick Butler over UNC in my "heart" bracket. In my "heart" bracket, I have a Butler - Wichita St regional final.

In my "head" bracket, I have UNC to the Elite 8. Easily. Sigh.

FerryFor50
03-13-2017, 04:08 PM
I think the committee decided early on that the winner of the ACC regular season would get a #1 seed. That was UNC. In spite of the fact that UNC's resume isn't all that impressive when you break it down.

I agree that Kentucky's resume looks better. I would argue that Duke's is better too - especially if you consider injuries contributing to our losses. But our resume wasn't as good as UNC's as of last Wednesday, and the committee decided not to completely update their views based on the tournament. So here we are.

I personally felt that Arizona had a better argument than Kentucky; the Pac-12 had more quality teams in it than the SEC IMO and Zona went 30-4 overall.

CDu
03-13-2017, 04:08 PM

I also think that Butler simply isn't as good as their 4 seed suggests. I mean, they also lost to Indiana State and St John's this year. I think their wins over Villanova say more about some of Villanova's weaknesses than Butler's strengths. They are probably more of a 6 or 7 seed than a 4 seed.

There are a few real head-scratchers in the seeding:
- Butler as a 4 seed: should probably be a 6-7 seed;
- Minnesota as a 5 seed: 11-7 in the Big-Ten (4th place), lost twice to Wisconsin (an 8 seed), no impressive out of conference wins, should probably be an 8-9 seed

Of course, both are in the same bracket as UNC.

Other oddities:
- Wichita State as a 10 seed: should probably be a 6-8 seed

Highlander
03-13-2017, 04:12 PM

Agree that if you factor in injuries, our case gets much stronger. Just for S&G, I am adding Duke to the mix below to compare...

UK losses (5): (Tennessee), (2 seed), KU (1 seed), UCLA (3 seed), and Florida (4 seed).
UNC losses (7): Duke 2x (2 seed), UK (2 seed), UVA (5 seed), Miami (8 seed), GT (N/A), Indiana (N/A), 7 total losses.
Duke losses (8): UNC (1 seed), KU (1 seed), UL (2 seed), FSU (3 seed), Miami (8 seed), VTech (9 seed), State (N/A), Syracuse (N/A)

UK has the best resume here. UNC and Duke are essentially a wash. Give UNC 2nd just on total # of losses.

UK's best wins: UNC (1 seed), Florida (4 seed), South Carolina (7 seed), Vanderbilt 2x (9 seed), MSU (9 seed). 2 were true road games.
UNC's best wins: Duke (2 seed), UL (2 seed), FSU (3 seed), UVA (5 seed), ND (5 seed), Miami (8 seed), Wisconsin (8 seed), VT (9 seed), WFU (11 seed). Every single one of those wins was at home or on a neutral court
Duke's best wins: UNC 2x (1 seed), UL (2 seed), FSU (3 seed), Florida (4 seed), UVA (5 seed), ND 2x (5 seed), Miami (8 seed), MSU (9 seed), WFU 2x (11 seed). I count 8 wins which were road or neutral court.

So UNC's win over us and UL at home are their best wins of the year. Our best wins would be over them and UL, but on a neutral court last week in successive days. Plus the win over UNC was our second this season. Best of all, only 4 of Duke's 12 wins over NCAA teams came at home; the rest were all road or neutral settings. So clear advantage Duke, but fair point by the committee that our two most impressive wins came within the last week and UNC has been more consistent throughout the year. UK a distant third here.

Talking with my college friends, most would rather play Nova in MSG than UK or UCLA in Lexington, should it come to that. So while we may bemoan the fact that UNC got a #1 based mostly on ballots that were turned in before the tournaments, they wouldn't switch places with UNC given the choice.

CDu
03-13-2017, 04:13 PM
I personally felt that Arizona had a better argument than Kentucky; the Pac-12 had more quality teams in it than the SEC IMO and Zona went 30-4 overall.

I agree. Arizona has a really strong case for a 1 seed. Especially because two of their losses came without Trier. If they had had Trier against Gonzaga, they'd be the 1 seed in the West and Gonzaga would be a 2 seed.

I probably would have seeded them as follows:
1. Arizona
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Kansas
5. Villanova
6. UNC
7. Louisville
8. Gonzaga

FerryFor50
03-13-2017, 04:16 PM
Other oddities:
- Wichita State as a 10 seed: should probably be a 6-8 seed

I dunno. Wichita St didn't really beat anyone noteworthy out of conference. They beat LSU and Oklahoma, but lost to L'Ville, Ok State and Mich State. Plus they have no Van Fleet, Ron Baker, nor a Cleanthony Early. I think 10 might be where they belong.

FerryFor50
03-13-2017, 04:19 PM
I agree. Arizona has a really strong case for a 1 seed. Especially because two of their losses came without Trier. If they had had Trier against Gonzaga, they'd be the 1 seed in the West and Gonzaga would be a 2 seed.

I probably would have seeded them as follows:
1. Arizona
2. Duke
3. Kentucky
4. Kansas
5. Villanova
6. UNC
7. Louisville
8. Gonzaga

I'm not all that broken up about Duke not being a 1 seed. It would have been cool, but 8 losses are 8 losses, even with the injuries.

I *am* annoyed that UNC got a 1 seed over Kentucky and Zona. Gonzaga deserved a 1 seed, despite their weak non-conference schedule, because they *did* win some tougher OOC games (Zona, Florida, Iowa St, Tenn).

CDu
03-13-2017, 04:28 PM
I'm not all that broken up about Duke not being a 1 seed. It would have been cool, but 8 losses are 8 losses, even with the injuries.

I *am* annoyed that UNC got a 1 seed over Kentucky and Zona. Gonzaga deserved a 1 seed, despite their weak non-conference schedule, because they *did* win some tougher OOC games (Zona, Florida, Iowa St, Tenn).

I think Gonzaga's resume is inflated by that Arizona win though. Arizona was playing without their entire starting backcourt, including their best player (Trier). Take away that win, and you have a pretty good but not great resume. Very close neutral-court wins over ISU and Florida and a win over a .500 Tennessee team. That's a 2/3 seed resume, not a 1 seed. IF Trier and their PG play in that Zona/Zaga game, Zona wins, and Gonzaga is a 2 seed.

I'm fine with where we are seeded given our draw. I do think we should be at or above UNC given our resumes. I was just listing the order I think would have been appropriate after taking into account injuries.

Highlander
03-13-2017, 04:36 PM
I think Gonzaga's resume is inflated by that Arizona win though. Arizona was playing without their entire starting backcourt, including their best player (Trier). Take away that win, and you have a pretty good but not great resume. Very close neutral-court wins over ISU and Florida and a win over a .500 Tennessee team. That's a 2/3 seed resume, not a 1 seed. IF Trier and their PG play in that Zona/Zaga game, Zona wins, and Gonzaga is a 2 seed.

I'm fine with where we are seeded given our draw. I do think we should be at or above UNC given our resumes. I was just listing the order I think would have been appropriate after taking into account injuries.

Good news is that you have UNC/UK and Gonzaga/Arizona in the same brackets as the 1/2. So regardless of whether the committee mixed up the seeding, the matchups of these seeding calls should work itself out.

It also looks like the committee tried to seed top 2 teams regionally by geography moreso than usual. Only UL and maybe Duke are playing out of their "natural" regions, and they are both close.

CDu
03-13-2017, 04:58 PM
Good news is that you have UNC/UK and Gonzaga/Arizona in the same brackets as the 1/2. So regardless of whether the committee mixed up the seeding, the matchups of these seeding calls should work itself out.

Well, except that UNC got the cakewalk half of their region, whereas UK got a fairly tough region. The difference in paths to the Elite 8 appears substantial.

Conversely, I do think we got a pretty comparable - if not potentially easier - path to the Elite 8 than Nova. So again, I certainly don't mind our seed/region.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 05:02 PM

It also looks like the committee tried to seed top 2 teams regionally by geography moreso than usual. Only UL and maybe Duke are playing out of their "natural" regions, and they are both close.

Well, except that UNC got the cakewalk half of their region, whereas UK got a fairly tough region. The difference in paths to the Elite 8 appears substantial.

Conversely, I do think we got a pretty comparable - if not potentially easier - path to the Elite 8 than Nova. So again, I certainly don't mind our seed/region.

I'm happy where we are.

Putting aside all of the seeds lower than 4 (which you have no control over), would you rather be #2 in the East against Villanova in NYC, or #1 in the South against Kentucky in Memphis? I'll take where we are. (And as for the #3's, I'd rather take my chances with Baylor than UCLA; as for the #4's, I think Butler and Florida are about a wash).

NashvilleDevil
03-13-2017, 08:49 PM
Lonzo Ball's dad has done it again. Not only did he say he would beat MJ one on one he also said a shoe company needs to pony $1 Billion for his boys and they can pay it out $100M over 10 years. I bring this up because I think this will be a distraction for UCLA. Alford is not the best in game coach and in the Pac12 there is not the national eyeballs watching your games like the east coast and Midwest teams and that's with a talent like Lonzo. Now they will be in the region with two of the blue bloods and Lonzo's dad is going to the topic of conversation about the team. Should be interesting to watch play out.

TexHawk
03-14-2017, 12:36 AM
- Minnesota as a 5 seed: 11-7 in the Big-Ten (4th place), lost twice to Wisconsin (an 8 seed), no impressive out of conference wins, should probably be an 8-9 seed

I have been wracking my brain trying to find a more inexplicable decision in the history of the committee than this one. It is beyond stupefying. Wisconsin finished ahead of Minnesota in the conference standings, went further in their tournament, played a tougher noncon schedule, AND swept them. They played each other 8 days ago and the Badgers won by 17 points!

I wonder if someone looked at a map of the country and got the two states mixed up, being next to each other and all. That would at least make some sense.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-14-2017, 07:28 AM

This sounds sort of like a team I know that beat UNC twice this season.

Go Butler!

FerryFor50
03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
Lonzo Ball's dad has done it again. Not only did he say he would beat MJ one on one he also said a shoe company needs to pony $1 Billion for his boys and they can pay it out $100M over 10 years. I bring this up because I think this will be a distraction for UCLA. Alford is not the best in game coach and in the Pac12 there is not the national eyeballs watching your games like the east coast and Midwest teams and that's with a talent like Lonzo. Now they will be in the region with two of the blue bloods and Lonzo's dad is going to the topic of conversation about the team. Should be interesting to watch play out.

Will also be interesting if UCLA decides they want to deal with him again when LaMelo comes to UCLA... He's already committed as a sophomore in HS.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/18643348/ucla-bruins-commit-lamelo-ball-brother-lonzo-ball-scores-92-high-school-game

Wander
03-14-2017, 09:58 AM
I have been wracking my brain trying to find a more inexplicable decision in the history of the committee than this one. It is beyond stupefying. Wisconsin finished ahead of Minnesota in the conference standings, went further in their tournament, played a tougher noncon schedule, AND swept them. They played each other 8 days ago and the Badgers won by 17 points!

I wonder if someone looked at a map of the country and got the two states mixed up, being next to each other and all. That would at least make some sense.

All the Big 10 seeds seem chosen at complete random. Purdue and Northwestern make sense, the others are at least 2 seed lines off.

Bluedog
03-14-2017, 03:54 PM

Of course, both are in the same bracket as UNC.

I agree that giving Minnesota a 5-seed and Wisconsin an 8 is absurd. However, I think I figured out what the commitee was looking at, and it is RPI folks!

Minnesota: 24-9, Ranking 20, SOS 17, Non-con SOS 28, 8-7 vs. Top 50
Wisconsin: 25-9, Ranking 32, SOS 83, Non-con SOS 304, 5-7 vs. Top 50

Wisconsin played too many teams that are TERRIBLE in non-con (300+), which really drags down their RPI. But, yeah, considering they finished higher in the conference standings, got further in the tournament, and BEAT Minnesota twice should mean something....

chriso
03-14-2017, 09:28 PM
Seems to me some in the media have forgotten about Kentucky. Wouldn't surprise me to see them tear through this bracket. I liked UCLA but they are injured. I like Kentucky. Let me rephrase that. I pick Kentucky. :)

Ultrarunner
03-14-2017, 09:40 PM
K-State is hanging with Wake, but Wake is into the bonus with the next foul. Just under the 12 minute mark. It the fouls keep mounting, Wake will be in good shape.

DU82
03-14-2017, 09:51 PM

Howard

I guess I'm the only one who picked Texas Southern.

Duke79UNLV77
03-14-2017, 10:17 PM
K-State is hanging with Wake, but Wake is into the bonus with the next foul. Just under the 12 minute mark. It the fouls keep mounting, Wake will be in good shape.

Poorly played first half for Wake. They are fortunate to be as close as they are.

kshepinthehouse
03-14-2017, 10:19 PM
Seems to me some in the media have forgotten about Kentucky. Wouldn't surprise me to see them tear through this bracket. I liked UCLA but they are injured. I like Kentucky. Let me rephrase that. I pick Kentucky. :)

Espn makes a very strong argument for Kentucky in this video.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18893631

chriso
03-14-2017, 10:24 PM
Espn makes a very strong argument for Kentucky in this video.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=18893631
Thanks! I think they are tougher than UCLA and UNC. Not us though.

Ultrarunner
03-14-2017, 10:28 PM
Poorly played first half for Wake. They are fortunate to be as close as they are.

Poorly played by both teams. Wake can't play defense. K-State can't without fouling.

Duke79UNLV77
03-14-2017, 11:23 PM
If there's one ACC team you can count on historically not to get it done in the tournament, it's Wake.

Ultrarunner
03-14-2017, 11:25 PM
If there's one ACC team you can count on historically not to get it done in the tournament, it's Wake.

They are making Iwundu look like a first round lock, though.

Wake ever learns to play D, they're going to be a giant pain.

mr. synellinden
03-15-2017, 12:54 AM
Thanks! I think they are tougher than UCLA and UNC. Not us though.

UCLA did beat UK in Lexington earlier this year. Just saying.

kAzE
03-15-2017, 01:15 AM
Wow, Wake can't defend anybody. They allowed 95 points to the 43rd ranked offense . . .

chriso
03-15-2017, 01:29 AM
UCLA did beat UK in Lexington earlier this year. Just saying.

True. But Kentucky seems to be improving, like us, and UCLA has Leaf hobbled(ankle) and Ball hurt his hand recently. It should be an epic battle for sure. :)

Atlanta Duke
03-15-2017, 09:58 AM
NYT article describes how Cal attempts to manage his image with the media, specifically with regard to spinning the Adrian Wojnarowski hit piece on K leveraging his role as Team USA coach to help recruiting for which Cal was presumed to be a primary source

Calipari Is a Media Machine. But Don’t Ask Him to Use a Computer.

Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim, then a Team U.S.A. assistant, said in response that Calipari had complained about the arrangement and added that Calipari’s protests seemed disingenuous since he had coached the Dominican Republic’s team...

Calipari, after appearing to respond via a snarky Twitter post, took to CoachCal.com to tell the world that he had called Boeheim (“We are friends”); to praise Krzyzewski’s stewardship of U.S.A. Basketball; and to say he did not “begrudge” any potential recruiting advantage....

Calipari’s public stance was probably delivered more cleanly and persuasively than it would have been even through a sit-down with a friendly reporter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/john-calipari-social-media-podcast-kentucky.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection% 2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

I find his attempts, such as yucking it up with ESPN on Selection Sunday, to ingratiate himself with those who cover him to be painful to watch, but admit I am definitely not a member of Team Cal

OldPhiKap
03-15-2017, 10:18 AM
NYT article describes how Cal attempts to manage his image with the media, specifically with regard to spinning the Adrian Wojnarowski hit piece on K leveraging his role as Team USA coach to help recruiting for which Cal was presumed to be a primary source

Calipari Is a Media Machine. But Don’t Ask Him to Use a Computer.

Syracuse Coach Jim Boeheim, then a Team U.S.A. assistant, said in response that Calipari had complained about the arrangement and added that Calipari’s protests seemed disingenuous since he had coached the Dominican Republic’s team...

Calipari, after appearing to respond via a snarky Twitter post, took to CoachCal.com to tell the world that he had called Boeheim (“We are friends”); to praise Krzyzewski’s stewardship of U.S.A. Basketball; and to say he did not “begrudge” any potential recruiting advantage...

Calipari’s public stance was probably delivered more cleanly and persuasively than it would have been even through a sit-down with a friendly reporter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/15/sports/ncaabasketball/john-calipari-social-media-podcast-kentucky.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection% 2Fsports&action=click&contentCollection=sports&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

I find his attempts, such as yucking it up with ESPN on Selection Sunday, to ingratiate himself with those who cover him to be painful to watch, but admit I am definitely not a member of Team Cal

Cal is smarmy, and John Chaney should have kicked his butt.

But dude can coach, and dude can recruit.

In other words -- perfect for Kentucky.

TexHawk
03-15-2017, 10:50 AM
Wow, Wake can't defend anybody. They allowed 95 points to the 43rd ranked offense . . .

Good tweet alert:
@BSnowScout (https://twitter.com/BSnowScout/status/841858208230703104)
how good would John Collins' numbers be if he was being guarded by John Collins

I hope Danny Manning burns the tape of this game when KU comes calling for Bill Self's eventual replacement.

P.S. Big12 now 8-1 vs the ACC this year.

Troublemaker
03-20-2017, 08:40 AM
As far as rooting interests are concerned, still some work left to do this season.

I want both UNC and Kentucky to lose.

Luckily, only one of them can make the Final Four. But hopefully it's either UCLA or Butler coming out of this region.