PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Notre Dame (ACC Championship Game)

JBDuke
03-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's ACC Championship winning performance tonight?

CameronBlue
03-11-2017, 11:07 PM
Not the man of the match but big time shot from Matt and then the assist to Tatum for the clincher and 1, stepping up when he was most needed.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-11-2017, 11:08 PM
Jason Tatum!

FerryFor50
03-11-2017, 11:09 PM
Tatum really carried Duke on offense when they were reeling. Matt hit a dagger.

Bob Green
03-11-2017, 11:11 PM
I vote for Jayson Tatum. He was clutch.

wsb3
03-11-2017, 11:17 PM
I love the whole team choice & typically would vote that way....but Jayson Tatum...Wow..Those last few minutes he carried us..

JNort
03-11-2017, 11:18 PM
Hate these "whole team" or "coaching" polls. Absolutely ridiculous.

Now that my mini rant is done, my vote is for Frank Jackson with Grayson as runner up.

NSDukeFan
03-11-2017, 11:18 PM
I vote for Tatum, but man, what an amazing tournament! Great total team effort.

OZ
03-11-2017, 11:19 PM
Not a player... but Coach K and his crew certainly deserve a lot of credit for the incredible job they have done this year.

curtis325
03-11-2017, 11:26 PM
Tatum!!! Also, all the rest of them!!!

weezie
03-11-2017, 11:29 PM
Tatum and Amile. Amile held the Bonz tight.

jv001
03-11-2017, 11:33 PM
MOTM= Jayson Tatum
Single out player= Matt Jones for his hard work on defense and the big 3 he hit in the closing minute. He get's very little appreciation and just puts his head down and does the dirty work. Way to go Matt. GoDuke!

devildeac
03-11-2017, 11:43 PM
Matt with ginormous points 69, 70 and 71, then the assist for points 72, 73 and 74. Game over.

That Tatum fella is pretty good, too. ;)

brevity
03-11-2017, 11:48 PM
Hate these "whole team" or "coaching" polls. Absolutely ridiculous.

Now that my mini rant is done, my vote is for Frank Jackson with Grayson as runner up.

I'm not really mad at anything tonight, but I have to agree in the academic, I-don't-care-right-now way.

Wimpy DBR members who say "Can't I vote for the whole team?" are like parents who say "But I love all my children!" Pick one, or don't participate. That's the point of the thread. Choosing is supposed to be hard.

mapei
03-12-2017, 12:07 AM
Jay-son Tat-um! Most everyone who played made a big-time offensive or defensive play at some point in the game. But Jayson made the most, with special honorable mention to Matt for his clutch plays at the end.

pamtar
03-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Matt i'm a real wanker Jones.

weezie
03-12-2017, 12:24 AM
...like parents who say "But I love all my children!" Pick one, or don't participate...

Agreed. I like to remind my children that the position of favorite changes often. No resting on laurels around this house.

JNort
03-12-2017, 12:28 AM
Agreed. I like to remind my children that the position of favorite changes often. No resting on laurels around this house.

Lmao I don't know about kids for an analogy but I'd say it's kind of like your favorite movie(s). Every one usually has a top 10 but your number 1 changes all the time depending on several different factors .

Ultrarunner
03-12-2017, 12:29 AM

This, I point out, is a difference from UNcheat, where the positions are the same for all the players- under the bus with the lot of them, dangnabit!

JetpackJesus
03-12-2017, 06:34 AM
Matt Jones' 3.

Devilwin
03-12-2017, 07:24 AM
Matt Jones' 3.

Matt was just there for most of four games. Then comes the cold blooded dagger. Matt's shot changed it all. He gets my vote.:cool:

MCFinARL
03-12-2017, 10:00 AM
Love the sentiment of putting up "the whole team" as an option, and everyone contributed for sure. But I have to single out two players (or is that doubling out?) -- Jayson Tatum, who just refused to lose, and the feel-good story of the night, Matt Jones, helping Duke to victory by doing Matt Jones things--great defense, crafty steals, some good assists, and the dagger 3. In what has been a tough stretch for Matt shooting-wise, he found that killer shot just when we needed it most. Feel like we have seen that a lot over his career.

mph
03-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Great team effort but Tatum gets my vote.

elvis14
03-12-2017, 10:21 AM
Team gets my vote. Love the poll for this game.

WillJ
03-12-2017, 10:24 AM
Matt's three was clutch, but it was generated by a drive and dish by Tatum. Worth noting, IMO, in that passing and decision-making were real weaknesses for Tatum early in the year. He's gotten *much* better on these dimensions.

azzefkram
03-12-2017, 10:35 AM
Matt was tempting with that big 3. It was such a Matt thing to do. I went with Tatum who spent most of the game (and tournament) in beast mode. Imagine how good he'd be as a junior or senior.

weezie
03-12-2017, 11:12 AM
...Matt Jones, helping Duke to victory by doing Matt Jones things...

He was so cute during the post game presser! Just shy and self-effacing, pleased, humble. You could feel the love from Luke and Amile and K towards Matt. It's so truly heart-warming!

budwom
03-12-2017, 11:15 AM
I feel compelled to give myself a vote since on Thursday I unveiled my new blue lucky sox which are now unwashed and undefeated, even though
there may be the faint whiff of blue cheese about them...

weezie
03-12-2017, 11:20 AM
Very tempted to flame you bud, but not sure that's smart considering the state of those socks. You have my permission/order to wash them now.

King of Defense
03-12-2017, 11:28 AM
Matt Jones' 3.

That's definitely the play of the game. Loved seeing that, and I loved seeing Jefferson make so many terrific plays on either end. Seniors rule.

But MOTM has to be Tatum. We're getting used to big-time freshmen in the one-and-done era, but that was something else. Fourth game in four days, carrying the team down the stretch ... amazing.

El_Diablo
03-12-2017, 11:34 AM
My vote is for Tatum.

OldPhiKap
03-12-2017, 03:36 PM
Just rewatched the second half. I'm not sure that anyone was more important than Amile. What a great game on both ends of the court.

Papa John
03-12-2017, 03:54 PM
Just rewatched the second half. I'm not sure that anyone was more important than Amile. What a great game on both ends of the court.

Amile played well, but also had some geriatric brain-fart moments [coming from a fellow geriatric brain-farter]. There was one second half sequence where he did a piss-poor job of recovering his position on D, gave up a layup and compounded it with a foul, then turned to give an earful to a frosh for being out of position, only to find that it was Uncle Matty he was jawing to (and I can tell you, Uncle Matty was NOT at fault on the play in question—Amile was simply out of position)... The play was one of a few that caused me to throw my hands up and chastise my television in as gentle a manner as possible [given my wife and kids were already in bed]—"c'mon, Amile... you've gotta know when to stay home on D"... He also left Bonzie out on the perimeter wide open a couple of times following a penetrating guard in step with said guard's defender, both resulting in long-pause treys...

That said, Amile played a solid game last night, and I'm ecstatic for him that he gets to wield a championship trophy after all of the injury difficulties he's had to deal with... Same with Uncle Matty—so happy that yet another in the long line of unsung role heroes gets to go out with at least one banner [and it ain't over yet—these guys definitely have the potential to gather more hardware]... But, at the end of the day, the MOTM has to go to Tatum. The kid has become one, if not THE, best offensive players in college basketball over the past few weeks, and yesterday there was a point when ND was starting to take over and Tatum just put us on his back and led the charge to victory [multiple athletic 'there ain't nobody on this floor who can stop me' drives, in addition to the assist to Uncle Matty for the dagger trey].

Reilly
03-12-2017, 03:59 PM

It was a 56-48 deficit, he scored to make it 56-50.

It was a 56-50 deficit, he scored to make it 56-52.

It was a 58-57 deficit, he scored to give Duke the lead 59-58.

Duke was -5 during the first segment of the second half, and -4 during the second segment, but then +2 when Amile scored 4 in the third segment.

MarkD83
03-12-2017, 04:02 PM
I'm not really mad at anything tonight, but I have to agree in the academic, I-don't-care-right-now way.

Wimpy DBR members who say "Can't I vote for the whole team?" are like parents who say "But I love all my children!" Pick one, or don't participate. That's the point of the thread. Choosing is supposed to be hard.

I agree with you if this is a normal regular season game. But after this game Duke hangs a banner in Cameron that says ACC Champions and there are no individual names on the banner, so the Whole Team gets my vote.

If there were a normal regular season game....Jayson Tatum...block...coast to coast drive...kick out for Matt's three...dunk and one to seal the game.....

Indoor66
03-12-2017, 04:12 PM
IMO, Amile was the man. He was a rock at both ends for the whole game. Rebounds, blocks, screens, points, he did it all. Watch the game again and concentrate on him. He was the key to the team.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-12-2017, 04:25 PM
I can't decide on ONE for this game. But, for MVP at annual banquet time, it's GOT to be Amile. It's just GOT to be.
Love, Ima