PDA

View Full Version : Schadenfreude

Eakane
03-11-2017, 12:14 PM
Heading over to IC to watch the ranting and raving. My guess for hot topics:

1. We wuz robbed. The refs screwed us.
2. Fire Roy for not pulling Berry before the 4th foul
3. We still deserve a 1 seed over D**k because although we lost to them twice, and although we have no good road/neutral wins, and although we had the far easier unbalanced ACC schedule, and although we have fewer top 25 wins, we have only 7 losses to their 8.
4. I hate D**k so much (not limited to day-after losses)
5. I hate Grayson (ditto)

I'll report back if there are any suprising kinds of vitriol. The IC Board is great fun the day after a loss, especially after a Duke loss, which is becoming habitual these days, and I highly recommend it. Do remember to limit your time, as it is radioactive.

kAzE
03-11-2017, 12:29 PM

3. We still deserve a 1 seed over D**k because although we lost to them twice, and although we have no good road/neutral wins, and although we had the far easier unbalanced ACC schedule, and although we have fewer top 25 wins, we have only 7 losses to their 8.

I'll report back if there are any suprising kinds of vitriol. The IC Board is great fun the day after a loss, especially after a Duke loss, which is becoming habitual these days, and I highly recommend it. Do remember to limit your time, as it is radioactive.

I was just over there. Surprising number of reasonable posters on IC today, a few giving us credit for our aggressive play being the difference in the 2nd half. Still great to drink in the Jordan tears from the rest of them :)

GTHC!!

eddiehaskell
03-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Saw a few people comment on depth...something about K looking down the bench and knowing certain guys can't play whereas Roy tries to play almost everybody. They were specifically hard on Britt, Woods and Robinson.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2017, 01:00 PM
Saw a few people comment on depth...something about K looking down the bench and knowing certain guys can't play whereas Roy tries to play almost everybody. They were specifically hard on Britt, Woods and Robinson.

Yeah, this isn't rec league where everyone get's some feel good PT. I think I'll take our guy.

Henderson
03-11-2017, 01:02 PM
My sense is that the irrational mouth-breathing toxicity of IC has sort of waned in the past couple years.

I was there last night and saw a lot of, "Let's face it; their coach is better than ours" stuff. Several posters noted that Carolina starts 5 McDonald's All-Americans, all of whom are upperclassmen, yet still can't beat Duke on a neutral court. And a lot of folks were saying that this chant, "The Ceiling is the Roof" just makes UNC-CH fans look ignorant.

Of course, others didn't understand why the chant would make UNC-CH fans look ignorant, which I thought was pretty amusing in an ironic sort of way.

But not nearly as much ref-bashing as I expected. Lots of gentle Roy bashing ("Look, I love Roy, but..."), which is becoming pretty routine over there. My overall sense is that the fan base is pretty tired of Roy and aren't as optimistic about the future as they feel they should be. Which is largely the fault of the NCAA of course.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-11-2017, 01:14 PM
My sense is that the irrational mouth-breathing toxicity of IC has sort of waned in the past couple years.

I was there last night and saw a lot of, "Let's face it; their coach is better than ours" stuff. Several posters noted that Carolina starts 5 McDonald's All-Americans, all of whom are upperclassmen, yet still can't beat Duke on a neutral court. And a lot of folks were saying that this chant, "The Ceiling is the Roof" just makes UNC-CH fans look ignorant.

Of course, others didn't understand why the chant would make UNC-CH fans look ignorant, which I thought was pretty amusing in an ironic sort of way.

But not nearly as much ref-bashing as I expected. Lots of gentle Roy bashing ("Look, I love Roy, but..."), which is becoming pretty routine over there. My overall sense is that the fan base is pretty tired of Roy and aren't as optimistic about the future as they feel they should be. Which is largely the fault of the NCAA of course.

Evidence of maturity

budwom
03-11-2017, 01:21 PM
Last night the primary theme was that the refs robbed them.

Today sanity seems to have emerged, along with a general acknowledgement that Duke played better and that K outcoached Ol' Roy.

FadedTackyShirt
03-11-2017, 01:26 PM

I was there last night and saw a lot of, "Let's face it; their coach is better than ours" stuff. Several posters noted that Carolina starts 5 McDonald's All-Americans, all of whom are upperclassmen, yet still can't beat Duke on a neutral court. And a lot of folks were saying that this chant, "The Ceiling is the Roof" just makes UNC-CH fans look ignorant...

...Lots of gentle Roy bashing ("Look, I love Roy, but..."), which is becoming pretty routine over there. My overall sense is that the fan base is pretty tired of Roy and aren't as optimistic about the future as they feel they should be. Which is largely the fault of the NCAA of course.

From speaking to multiple Hole stakeholders (alums, season ticket holders, donors, students, parents), there's more than a little Roy fatigue.

Feeling is that Roy's a very good recruiter, but a so so in-game coach who's overly dependent on having a superior talent advantage relative to his opponents. His recruiting advantage has eroded with the uncertainty and it shows given his recent results vs Duke.

In order of difficulty of candid discussion: Roy, K, and academic fraud. Not much reluctance in throwing Roy under the bus, but much harder to admit that K's a better coach than Dean. Candor about academic fraud is not happening.

Despite relatively down recent recruiting, UNC can still win it all this season. Do think Roy retires before K.

eddiehaskell
03-11-2017, 01:45 PM
Here's a big one that I saw posted - Knox was on hand to watch Tatum put on a show. It's hard to imagine him ever picking UNC when their JUNIOR "star" goes 6-22 on the biggest stage. Tatum is who Knox wants to be in 7 months and K has told him he'll have that kind of freedom.

One poster mentioned this being UNC's last chance to beat Duke (at least for a long time). With Meeks/Hicks/Britt graduating and Jackson likely going pro, where does that leave UNC? Berry is good. Pinson is pretty good. Maye and Bradley will be forced into much bigger roles. Who comes off the bench? Woods/Robinson? Felton is a 25ish ranked recruit so who knows if he'll make an impact right away. UNC needs Knox perhaps more than they've ever needed any single recruit.

BluDvlsN1
03-11-2017, 02:07 PM
One of my favorite twitter IC meltdown tweets.

https://twitter.com/irishcurry/status/840610363389403136

53n206
03-11-2017, 02:14 PM

Not wishing to say that Britt and Berry are equal, but their stats yesterday were very similar

Henderson
03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
Here's a big one that I saw posted - Knox was on hand to watch Tatum put on a show. It's hard to imagine him ever picking UNC when their JUNIOR "star" goes 6-22 on the biggest stage. Tatum is who Knox wants to be in 7 months and K has told him he'll have that kind of freedom.

One poster mentioned this being UNC's last chance to beat Duke (at least for a long time). With Meeks/Hicks/Britt graduating and Jackson likely going pro, where does that leave UNC? Berry is good. Pinson is pretty good. Maye and Bradley will be forced into much bigger roles. Who comes off the bench? Woods/Robinson? Felton is a 25ish ranked recruit so who knows if he'll make an impact right away. UNC needs Knox perhaps more than they've ever needed any single recruit.

I'm not so sure about Jackson going pro this year. He's projected as a late first-rounder, and that's a gray area.

Carolina's problem is not that the pool is empty, but that the water is draining much faster than it's being refilled. You might be able to get a good swim this year or next, but if someone doesn't open the tap, there's a problem. And you can't wait for the problem to manifest itself before you call the plumber. Unless you want to take a season or two off from swimming while the flow catches up.

For next year they have Pinson, Berry, Maye, and Bradley, all of whom could be pretty good, depending on how they develop. Bradley's upside is big. Luke Maye is not the joke I thought he would be, though being skilled and chubby isn't ideal. Woods seems like a head case and Robinson seems confused, so I don't know, but I'm not willing to write them off. Jalek Felton seems pretty highly regarded as a replacement for Britt as backup PG, and seems to have potential. So that's a group of some pretty decent players who have nowhere else to go, including a senior point guard who's pretty good, and Jackson might come back, adding both talent and experience.

So next year the water in the pool may go down, but Carolina can still swim in it. If Jackson returns, Felton is good, and Bradley continues to develop, they'll win a lot of games. Their problem is an inlet that has slowed to a trickle. And they need to call the plumber now. And for whatever reason, the plumber isn't returning Ol' Roy's dadgum calls.

eddiehaskell
03-11-2017, 03:14 PM
UNC can have a very competitive team if Jackson returns. It will be nice to see them lose their stockpile of big men. Maye and Bradley as starting bigs has got to worry UNC. Bradley has potential, but he's probably a season away from being a typical UNC starting big. They'll have zero bigs off the bench so they'll probably have to go small quite often...imagine Maye and JJ being the biggest Tarheels on the court for extended periods of time.

DukieInBrasil
03-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Dunning-Kruger Effect explains this nicely.

sagegrouse
03-11-2017, 06:21 PM
From speaking to multiple Hole stakeholders (alums, season ticket holders, donors, students, parents), there's more than a little Roy fatigue.

Feeling is that Roy's a very good recruiter, but a so so in-game coach who's overly dependent on having a superior talent advantage relative to his opponents. His recruiting advantage has eroded with the uncertainty and it shows given his recent results vs Duke.

In order of difficulty of candid discussion: Roy, K, and academic fraud. Not much reluctance in throwing Roy under the bus, but much harder to admit that K's a better coach than Dean. Candor about academic fraud is not happening.

Despite relatively down recent recruiting, UNC can still win it all this season. Do think Roy retires before K.

Ya' know, guys and gals, I wonder if Roy Williams' rant against the Tweets by El Presidente isn't a clear sign that this is his last season. Calling out Donald Trump as a producer of agricultural by-products has far greater consequences in North Carolina and elsewhere than insensitive remarks about the Haiti earthquake. I think he may be fondly contemplating retirement.

While he's got a really, really good team this year, next year should be much weaker, especially if Justin J. goes to the NBA.

Most importantly, the gendarmes from the NCAA are getting closer and closer. If UNC's defense is now based on Debbie Crowder's pathetic plea for mercy, then the prospects of an escape seem really dim. I can't believe Roy would stick around through a lengthy NCAA ban and heavy penalties.

Aziggazoomba
03-11-2017, 06:24 PM

Not all Heels are I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.clowns.

There is even a posting praising G. Allen over there.

The Blue Devils deserved to win and it's beyond clear that K owns Roy.

It only barely qualifies as a rivalry at this point.

Anyway, nice game.

[removes hair shirt, drops flagellator, starts drinking]

DukieInKansas
03-11-2017, 06:27 PM
Not all Heels are I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.clowns.

Anyway, nice game.

If we ever meet, I'll get the first round of drinks.

Aziggazoomba
03-11-2017, 06:27 PM

Anyway, nice game.

What's the deal with your site? I didn't make the wanker comments.

Hostility to Heel sympathizers maybe?

DukieInKansas
03-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Hostility to Heel sympathizes maybe?

Some words get translated with the I'm a statement for each letter. It can be quite the fun guessing game. Makes me think of my high school that censored some words from a book we read in English.

91_92_01_10_15
03-11-2017, 06:29 PM

Hostility to Heel sympathizes maybe?

It does that whenever you use a naughty word. ;-)

Nothing personal. You are a class act.

Henderson
03-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Ya' know, guys and gals, I wonder if Roy Williams' rant against the Tweets by El Presidente isn't a clear sign that this is his last season. Calling out Donald Trump as a producer of agricultural by-products has far greater consequences in North Carolina and elsewhere than insensitive remarks about the Haiti earthquake. I think he may be fondly contemplating retirement.

While he's got a really, really good team this year, next year should be much weaker, especially if Justin J. goes to the NBA.

Most importantly, the gendarmes from the NCAA are getting closer and closer. If UNC's defense is now based on Debbie Crowder's pathetic plea for mercy, then the prospects of an escape seem really dim. I can't believe Roy would stick around through a lengthy NCAA ban and heavy penalties.

I was thinking the same thing today. He's getting close anyway, and this is really his last team that has any shot. Why would he continue when the trajectory is unquestionably downward for the rest of his career? Top recruits don't want him, and he's surely tired of answering the questions of parents about you-know-what. His putative team leader for next year, Joel Berry, openly criticized his benching last night. If Justin Jackson goes, and Kevin Knox commits to Duke, I say he's done at the end of this season. Maybe even if only one occurs. Why would he stay? I think he's got a white flag in his pocket.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2017, 06:36 PM

We hate clowns of all types. Even arse clowns. ;-)

(Which is the phrase that caught the wankerizer).

Aziggazoomba
03-11-2017, 06:36 PM
It does that whenever you use a naughty word. ;-)

Nothing personal. You are a class act.

Many thanks.

Guess I deserved the wankerization thing. Tried using dollar signs instead of s's. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get one by you guys I guess.

Cheers.

Aziggazoomba
03-11-2017, 06:37 PM
I was thinking the same thing today. He's getting close anyway, and this is really his last team that has any shot. Why would he continue when the trajectory is unquestionably downward for the rest of his career? Top recruits don't want him, and he's surely tired of answering the questions of parents about you-know-what. His putative team leader for next year, Joel Berry, openly criticized his benching last night. If Justin Jackson goes, and Kevin Knox commits to Duke, I say he's done at the end of this season. Maybe even if only one occurs. Why would he stay? I think he's got a white flag in his pocket.

Along with a handful of timeouts.

Henderson
03-11-2017, 06:41 PM
Many thanks.

Guess I deserved the wankerization thing. Tried using dollar signs instead of s's. Gotta get up pretty early in the morning to get one by you guys I guess.

Cheers.

Hehe. When I was 8, I tried to tell my mother I had said "ash[cavity]" not what she thought I said. Yumm. Ivory soap. That schlip never works.

duke4ever19
03-11-2017, 06:51 PM

Wow, that's quite the prediction.

The question is, do we, Duke fans, want it to come true?

Does UNC have a young upstart coach in the Dean/Roy coaching tree capable of coming in and giving their program a shot of adrenaline, or do they need to look elsewhere? I'm not familiar enough with the UNC coaching-tree to know. Obviously, Roy just coached in a national championship game one year ago, so he ain't chopped liver, but your bold statement has me intrigued.

jimsumner
03-11-2017, 07:04 PM

Does UNC have a young upstart coach in the Dean/Roy coaching tree capable of coming in and giving their program a shot of adrenaline, or do they need to look elsewhere? I'm not familiar enough with the UNC coaching-tree to know. Obviously, Roy just coached in a national championship game one year ago, so he ain't chopped liver, but your bold statement has me intrigued.

Larry Brown and George Karl could be options. :)

FadedTackyShirt
03-11-2017, 07:04 PM
Some words get translated with the I'm a statement for each letter. It can be quite the fun guessing game. Makes me think of my high school that censored some words from a book we read in English.

If Roy is in for the long haul, need to wankerize dad gummit and all the other hokey huckese phrases.

Reminds me of the SNL skit with the Queen of England: all prim and proper in front of the cameras, but turns into a potty mouthed Cockney punk rocker behind closed doors.

grossbus
03-11-2017, 07:15 PM
Schadenfreude Is why I don't go to IC anymore. The risk isn't worth it. The place is generally sad.

slower
03-11-2017, 07:24 PM
I think he's got a white flag in his pocket.

Or maybe he's just happy to see you. :p

Sorry - I never miss the chance to use that classic line.

duke4ever19
03-11-2017, 07:35 PM

Oh man, I would love this.

Larry coaches UNC for one season, but then one day, seven games into year two, he doesn't show up for practice and they find his office empty.

devildeac
03-11-2017, 11:16 PM

Looks like you used the 3 letter word meaning the same as mule/donkey before your "clowns." ;)

devildeac
03-11-2017, 11:17 PM
Many thanks.

Cheers.

It's in the software. ;)

TruBlu
03-11-2017, 11:20 PM

Larry might be the best choice to return some ethics to the cheaters.

eddiehaskell
03-12-2017, 05:22 AM

Does UNC have a young upstart coach in the Dean/Roy coaching tree capable of coming in and giving their program a shot of adrenaline, or do they need to look elsewhere? I'm not familiar enough with the UNC coaching-tree to know. Obviously, Roy just coached in a national championship game one year ago, so he ain't chopped liver, but your bold statement has me intrigued.The folks at IC seem to be unesthusiastically tossing around names like Hubert Davis, Jerod Hasse and C.B McGrath.

davekay1971
03-12-2017, 07:25 AM
We hate clowns of all types. Even arse clowns. ;-)

(Which is the phrase that caught the wankerizer).

Unless the A... Clown in question happens to be a nice little brewery in Cornelius, NC, in which case I only recommend drink one, don't be one.

PackMan97
03-12-2017, 07:46 AM
I slept in a waterbed of Tarheel tears last night. Best sleep I've had in years. Way to go, Duke!

MChambers
03-12-2017, 08:24 AM

What's Matt Doherty doing these days? He was my favorite UNC coach. Maybe Coach K could find a staff role for Andre Buckner?

Indoor66
03-12-2017, 08:46 AM
If we ever meet, I'll get the first round of drinks.

And I'll help flagellate a tar heel. :D:cool:

Indoor66
03-12-2017, 08:48 AM
Many thanks.

Cheers.

Remember, this is a Duke site, not IC. We can figure out the $$ trick. ;):D:cool:

throatybeard
03-12-2017, 09:08 AM
Carolina's problem is not that the pool is empty, but that the water is draining much faster than it's being refilled. You might be able to get a good swim this year or next, but if someone doesn't open the tap, there's a problem. And you can't wait for the problem to manifest itself before you call the plumber. Unless you want to take a season or two off from swimming while the flow catches up.

The surface is the bottom.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-12-2017, 09:18 AM
The surface is the bottom.

The basement is the floor?

arnie
03-12-2017, 09:19 AM
The on-line print edition of N&O this morning is interesting. Of course the print edition completion is well ahead of game completion, but timing is really funny. Front page of paper (not sports), is a half page photo of Woody Durham and two full pages of text and photos with Dean in A-section. The feature discusses Woodys difficulties late in life with speaking and is interesting/sad. But the timing and placement of all thus is a further reminder of Triangle bias.

Also, Giglio has an article in sports section that says Duke as 3-seed and UNC as 1-seed could meet in NCAA tourney. Even before our game last night we were thought of as 2-seed.

Somehow, don't think K will be featured/revered around here on a consistent basis 15+ years after retirement.

Indoor66
03-12-2017, 09:38 AM
The on-line print edition of N&O this morning is interesting. Of course the print edition completion is well ahead of game completion, but timing is really funny. Front page of paper (not sports), is a half page photo of Woody Durham and two full pages of text and photos with Dean in A-section. The feature discusses Woodys difficulties late in life with speaking and is interesting/sad. But the timing and placement of all thus is a further reminder of Triangle bias.

Also, Giglio has an article in sports section that says Duke as 3-seed and UNC as 1-seed could meet in NCAA tourney. Even before our game last night we were thought of as 2-seed.

Somehow, don't think K will be featured/revered around here on a consistent basis 15+ years after retirement.

That will probably depend on where your "around here" is located. :cool:

Aziggazoomba
03-12-2017, 09:52 AM
Remember, this is a Duke site, not IC. We can figure out the $$ trick. ;):D:cool:

Which was precisely (and probably too subtly)
my point.

Aziggazoomba
03-12-2017, 09:54 AM
I slept in a waterbed of Tarheel tears last night. Best sleep I've had in years. Way to go, Duke!

No offense but the correct spelling is "Tar Heel".

arnie
03-12-2017, 09:59 AM

True - move away from UNC hotbeds (such as Charlotte, all of Wake County,Wilmington) and Lexington KY: the K respect likely improves. Or, maybe outside these areas, nobody will care in 15. Just don't think will ever see K receive Dean type idolatry.

throatybeard
03-12-2017, 10:00 AM

Round here, something radiates.

alteran
03-12-2017, 10:05 AM

UNC's current ethical standards are below Larry's guidelines.

alteran
03-12-2017, 10:07 AM
Schadenfreude Is why I don't go to IC anymore. The risk isn't worth it. The place is generally sad.

I agree.

The key is getting there during the immediate aftermath, which is when the hot takes flood in.

Go back the next morning, and the cooler heads prevail. It's just not as delicious.

BD80
03-12-2017, 12:52 PM

Where the heck is the profanity filter when it is really needed??????

Does flagellating a heel constitute a foot fetish?

Olympic Fan
03-12-2017, 01:04 PM

No, the correct spelling is "Tar Hole"

DukieInKansas
03-12-2017, 01:42 PM

As long as it isn't the one I'm sharing a drinking table with, make yourself happy.

Olympic Fan
03-12-2017, 01:47 PM
No, the correct spelling is "Tar Heel"

Is somebody editing me in this thread?

That is NOT the spelling I posted.

And my most recent response did not show up.

If what I've been trying to say is offensive, I wish the mod who is doing this would just delete my original post in this thread because the way it reads now is just plain stupid.

BigWayne
03-12-2017, 01:58 PM

If what I've been trying to say is offensive, I wish the mod who is doing this would just delete my original post in this thread because the way it reads now is just plain stupid.

Glad you posted this. Was wondering what the heck was going on. I guess the wankerizer has another Tarheel related subroutine.

slower
03-12-2017, 02:01 PM

That's so visiting Tar folk can understand it. :p

Reddevil
03-12-2017, 03:14 PM

The correct spelling is actually "CHEATERS". GTHC GTH!

Aziggazoomba
03-12-2017, 03:30 PM

I guess schadenfreude has karmic implications. ; ]

DukieInKansas
03-12-2017, 04:11 PM

I thought the difference was italics vs non-italics.

TexHawk
03-12-2017, 05:21 PM
All his talk of "leaving the program in a better place" is just silly, and everyone knows it. Roy is opportunistic, and (usually) loyal. When he left Lawrence, I would have bet several mortgage payments that he wouldn't last 10 years down there. He was tired and grumpy in 2003. It's crazy to me (and many out here), that he's lasted this long.

His history is strong with "foundational recruiting classes". He turned UNC down the first time because he had Hinrich/Collison/Gooden. He left KU for McCants/Felton/May (didn't hurt that the Hinrich/Collison/Gooden group was graduating). His first crew was Lawson/Hansbrough, then Marshall/Barnes, and then the Paige/Johnson group. He went to Final Fours with all of those, except Marshall/Barnes. If the Carolina coaching tree had more fruit, I bet he would have seriously considered retiring with the Marshall crew.

Are Jackson, Pinson, and Berry a foundational class? They seem more like a bridge to a stronger future class to me, except UNC doesn't appear to have that on the horizon.

My guess is he sticks around for one more year, "for his kids". Then he can use the excuse of sanctions to let Davis (or McGrath or something) take the brunt of a few lean years.

PackMan97
03-13-2017, 11:46 AM

None taken...I surprise my self all the time. I must have been in such a good mood at the misery of those fans of baby blue, that I forgot to call them CHEATERS!

Devils Librarian
03-13-2017, 12:48 PM
The folks at IC seem to be unesthusiastically tossing around names like Hubert Davis, Jerod Hasse and C.B McGrath.

When I first came to Durham in 2011 I remember a group of Tar Heel fans mocking Duke for having no obvious successor to K, while they could pick from the numerous viable options off of Dean's coaching tree. How quickly things can change in the span of six years. Now we have at least two options that most Duke fans would be excited about, and their best options appear to be Hubert Davis and C.B. McGrath.

devildeac
03-13-2017, 12:53 PM
When I first came to Durham in 2011 I remember a group of Tar Heel fans mocking Duke for having no obvious successor to K, while they could pick from the numerous viable options off of Dean's coaching tree. How quickly things can change in the span of six years. Now we have at least two options that most Duke fans would be excited about, and their best options appear to be Hubert Davis and C.B. McGrath.

I miss D'oh. ;)

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 01:08 PM
C.B. McGrath.

Didn't he write and sing Convoy?

BD80
03-13-2017, 01:15 PM
... C.B. McGrath.

Woof!

ol' roy merely throws his players under the bus, ol' CB could throw them under a whole convoy!

10-4 Good Buddy, catch you on the flip side

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 01:28 PM

Close.

C.W. McCall.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Close.

C.W. McCall.

I dunno. If it walks like a Rubber Duck and quacks like a Rubber Duck . . . .

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 01:53 PM
I dunno. If it walks like a Rubber Duck and quacks like a Rubber Duck . . . .

Worst song ever.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Worst song ever.

oh, I've got a brand new
pair of roller skates
you've got a
brand
new
key . . . .

jimsumner
03-13-2017, 01:59 PM
King Rice did get Monmouth into the 2017 NIT.

So, there's that.

And there's Wes Miller.

So maybe Hubert Davis is the best-keep-it-in-the-family-option.

But I think this is a moot discussion. I think Roy has a few more years in him.

dukebluesincebirth
03-13-2017, 02:10 PM
How about P.J. Hairston? He's a local NC guy who seems to understand UNC's "system" pretty well:)

jimsumner
03-13-2017, 02:13 PM
oh, I've got a brand new
pair of roller skates
you've got a
brand
new
key . . . .

Tie between "Honey" and "Afternoon Delight."

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 02:16 PM
oh, I've got a brand new
pair of roller skates
you've got a
brand
new
key . . . .

I sometimes confuse Melanie with Janis Joplin.

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 02:18 PM
King Rice did get Monmouth into the 2017 NIT.

So, there's that.

And there's Wes Miller.

So maybe Hubert Davis is the best-keep-it-in-the-family-option.

But I think this is a moot discussion. I think Roy has a few more years in him.

He's probably a little long in the tooth at this point (and he did himself no favors with that book he just wrote), but I used to always think it would be fun to have George Karl at the helm.

dball
03-13-2017, 02:23 PM

I have a friend at Gallaudet who said the same thing. Then again...

devildeac
03-13-2017, 02:25 PM

Gotta be those light blue-tinted glasses you own. Seems to mess with vision of a lot of otherwise rational folks. :rolleyes::o

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 02:26 PM
I have a friend at Gallaudet who said the same thing. Then again...

Oh come on, they did have sorta similar sounds (plus Melanie did a cover of M. Benz).

(Plus, I'm happy to say, they were both before my time.)

TKG
03-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Hey, Mr. Grammar, you want to help your fellow "Tar Heels" learn to spell D-U-K-E, correctly? The inability to master those four letters appears to be systemic on IC! :cool::cool:

jimsumner
03-13-2017, 02:31 PM
Oh come on, they did have sorta similar sounds (plus Melanie did a cover of M. Benz).

Ah. c'mon. Janis was great.

Melanie? Not so much.

OldPhiKap
03-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Melanie? Not so much.

Melanie is still active-ish, and has a new single out for download on her website:

http://www.melaniesafka.com/

Have not listened to it though, I'll let someone else give the Kenpom breakdown of it.

Aziggazoomba
03-13-2017, 03:00 PM

Melanie? Not so much.

I can't (and wouldn't) argue otherwise!

(But if one is not a huge fan of either, one might think their respective sounds are kinda sorta similar.)

To bring this back to being somewhat on-topic, I can understand your institution's collective preference for Janis, given her taste in cars. ;)

jimsumner
03-13-2017, 03:55 PM
I can't (and wouldn't) argue otherwise!

(But if one is not a huge fan of either, one might think their respective sounds are kinda sorta similar.)

To bring this back to being somewhat on-topic, I can understand your institution's collective preference for Janis, given her taste in cars. ;)

Melanie wanted to be Joni Mitchell when she grew up.

Janis wanted to be Billie Holiday. Or Big Mama Thornton.

Indoor66
03-13-2017, 04:29 PM
Melanie wanted to be Joni Mitchell when she grew up.

Janis wanted to be Billie Holiday. Or Big Mama Thornton.

Nah, Janis wanted to be a chemist.

oldnavy
03-13-2017, 04:34 PM
Nah, Janis wanted to be a chemist.

Janis wanted to be a lab rat...

wsb3
03-13-2017, 05:34 PM
How about P.J. Hairston? He's a local NC guy who seems to understand UNC's "system" pretty well:)

Pressers would be entertaining..

slower
03-13-2017, 05:39 PM
Hey, Mr. Grammar, you want to help your fellow "Tar Heels" learn to spell D-U-K-E, correctly? The inability to master those four letters appears to be systemic on IC! :cool::cool:

That's pretty much my litmus test (not to be confused with the Litmus Configuration) for UNC fans. If they spell "Duke" correctly and act respectfully, it's live and let live. But the ones who spell "Duke" that other way? That's when the gloves come off. And there's a LOT of them who do that.

dbcooper
03-13-2017, 06:18 PM
Pressers would be entertaining..

Guns, Drugs and Fats... oh my!!:cool::cool:

PackMan97
03-14-2017, 10:03 AM

I'm fairly certain that PJ didn't graduate, which for a UNC-Cheat athlete really says a lot.

As a State fan, I can tell you that hiring a coach without a college degree is a really bad idea. Really bad.

throatybeard
03-14-2017, 10:46 AM
That's pretty much my litmus test (not to be confused with the Litmus Configuration) for UNC fans. If they spell "Duke" correctly and act respectfully, it's live and let live. But the ones who spell "Duke" that other way? That's when the gloves come off. And there's a LOT of them who do that.

Exactly. It separates the people who are clearly not decent human beings from the rest.

elvis14
03-14-2017, 11:39 AM
After reading this thread some the other day, I ventured over to IC for a while to read. I'll say this, it's always entertaining. Especially after we beat them on our way to an ACC championship. I don't get the posts saying that they aren't that bad any more. Yeah, there are some "K is better than Roy" type posts after yet another Duke victory but not many. There are lots of posts about Roy not calling timeouts.

For many years, as I've wandered to IC, I consistently see a couple of things. First, they really truly believe that we are allowed to grab, hold, push, bite, trip, punch, etc on defense. They really believe that we get a huge amount of favor from ACC refs. The really believe that Coach K 'works' the refs more than any other coach and that the refs fear him and that's why we are allowed to play defense and they are not. This discrepancy in the way the games are called is the ONLY reason most of them believe Duke beats UNC. Not all say this but many/most do and it's been around IC for many years. Forget the stats that generally show that UNCantread has a larger foul discrepancy than Duke. Sadly, in this day and age facts don't seem to matter in this country anyway. Next, they truly believe that we get a free ride to the final 4 every year. The NCAA wants the TV ratings that come with our program so they set up our bracket to be weak every year and give us the free ride to the final four. The only reason we don't make it every year is because we suck. Again, facts be d*mned! The NCAA crap is just that, crap. They didn't do anything every other school does, it's not an athletics issue, Roy and mens hoops wasn't involved, they shouldn't be punished, recruiting is bad because of this and it's not fair.

There are other things, but let's just say that IC is still and will always be toxic when it comes to Duke and clueless when it comes to cheating. 9F those [redacted] sons of [redacted] cheating [redacted] [redacted] and [redacted] them!

devildeac
03-14-2017, 11:44 AM
After reading this thread some the other day, I ventured over to IC for a while to read. I'll say this, it's always entertaining. Especially after we beat them on our way to an ACC championship. I don't get the posts saying that they aren't that bad any more. Yeah, there are some "K is better than Roy" type posts after yet another Duke victory but not many. There are lots of posts about Roy not calling timeouts.

For many years, as I've wandered to IC, I consistently see a couple of things. First, they really truly believe that we are allowed to grab, hold, push, bite, trip, punch, etc on defense. They really believe that we get a huge amount of favor from ACC refs. The really believe that Coach K 'works' the refs more than any other coach and that the refs fear him and that's why we are allowed to play defense and they are not. This discrepancy in the way the games are called is the ONLY reason most of them believe Duke beats UNC. Not all say this but many/most do and it's been around IC for many years. Forget the stats that generally show that UNCantread has a larger foul discrepancy than Duke. Sadly, in this day and age facts don't seem to matter in this country anyway. Next, they truly believe that we get a free ride to the final 4 every year. The NCAA wants the TV ratings that come with our program so they set up our bracket to be weak every year and give us the free ride to the final four. The only reason we don't make it every year is because we suck. Again, facts be d*mned! The NCAA crap is just that, crap. They didn't do anything every other school does, it's not an athletics issue, Roy and mens hoops wasn't involved, they shouldn't be punished, recruiting is bad because of this and it's not fair.

There are other things, but let's just say that IC is still and will always be toxic when it comes to Duke and clueless when it comes to cheating. 9F those [redacted] sons of [redacted] cheating [redacted] [redacted] and [redacted] them!

Idiot Central
Insanity Central
Irrational Central

Take your pick. The more things change, the more they never change. What a bunch of delusional dolts.

Elvis is correct: 9F. To infinity.