PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke v. Notre Dame ACCCG (9 ET, ESPN)

pfrduke
03-11-2017, 12:21 AM
The Irish have knocked us out of the last two ACCT's. We owe them. Let's do this.

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 12:23 AM
We owe them BIGLY! One road win this season does not slake my thirst for Lepruchaun blood!!!

Could the Duke Blue Devils actually be peaking for the post-season?

I feel like we are going to get this ACC trophy!

kAzE
03-11-2017, 12:23 AM
We match up extremely well with Notre Dame this year. They rely heavily on the 3, and we are a great team at preventing 3s. Contain Bonzie on the offensive glass, stay connected to shooters, and we have a great chance to hang a banner.

LGD

BandAlum83
03-11-2017, 02:28 AM
Go Duke!!!

Jim3k
03-11-2017, 03:49 AM
We match up extremely well with Notre Dame this year. They rely heavily on the 3, and we are a great team at preventing 3s. Contain Bonzie on the offensive glass, stay connected to shooters, and we have a great chance to hang a banner.

LGD

Let's hope we have the legs to do it. Four straight games is a high bar to cross.

arnie
03-11-2017, 07:03 AM
Let's hope we have the legs to do it. Four straight games is a high bar to cross.

I didn't think we could win 4 games in 4 days. But, due to some foul trouble, only Jayson and Luke have played ridiculous minutes so far. Matt, Amile, Frank and Grayson have been on the bench significant minutes and of course, Harry should be fresh. A true 7-man rotation helps and except for possible mental exhaustion, think we're in good shape for tonite.

dukelifer
03-11-2017, 07:22 AM

It is interesting that I think the deficits have actually helped Duke. The fear of getting blown out can help supply energy. A big lead also gets tired teams to relax. Championships require a special mindset. Both Amile and Grayson know this. This is a game of emotion and hopefully Duke can generate that. I am expecting Matt to have a big game. Just watch.

MarkD83
03-11-2017, 07:57 AM
I didn't think we could win 4 games in 4 days. But, due to some foul trouble, only Jayson and Luke have played ridiculous minutes so far. Matt, Amile, Frank and Grayson have been on the bench significant minutes and of course, Harry should be fresh. A true 7-man rotation helps and except for possible mental exhaustion, think we're in good shape for tonite.

Arnie I am not singling out your comment because a lot of people point to the multiple games in multiple days / short bench issue as a concern...

Both teams in conference championships are in unchartered territory when it comes to this. ND has to deal with 3 games in 3 days.

This is an issue that is resolved in the summer before the season when players get in shape for the season. So which program has already done the best job of getting players in shape? A few less minutes in the games these past few days probably does not matter that much.

gocanes0506
03-11-2017, 08:24 AM
The game depends on Colson. If he has his typical out of body experience against duke then we'll lose.

Indoor66
03-11-2017, 08:26 AM
Give Colson 25 and shut down the rest of the team.

jv001
03-11-2017, 08:29 AM
The game depends on Colson. If he has his typical out of body experience against duke then we'll lose.

Colson sure was huffing and puffing in the game last night. Maybe he'll be the one to get tired. Amile has not played heavy minutes and now it looks like Harry has confidence that he didn't have until the tournament began. GoDuke!

TKG
03-11-2017, 08:36 AM
I am chastened by my Carolina game prediction and rationale for the game. I have learned my lesson.

K has the boys ready and we hang a banner.

davekay1971
03-11-2017, 08:41 AM
Arnie I am not singling out your comment because a lot of people point to the multiple games in multiple days / short bench issue as a concern...

Both teams in conference championships are in unchartered territory when it comes to this. ND has to deal with 3 games in 3 days.

This is an issue that is resolved in the summer before the season when players get in shape for the season. So which program has already done the best job of getting players in shape? A few less minutes in the games these past few days probably does not matter that much.

Agreed for the most part, but Duke is actually the clear exception to the bolded part of your statement. With the exception of Matt and Luke, all of Duke's top 8 players (counting Bolden) had some significant injury recovery time in the fall and/or over the winter. Whatever conditioning our team members did this summer, they had to regain all of that conditioning at some point during the season. That's part of what makes the 2nd half yesterday so remarkable. Our guys, playing their third game in 3 days against UNC, looked like they had more gas in the tank than did UNC, who was playing only their 2nd game in 2 days, and who has not had nearly the injury deconditioning/recovery issues that Duke has had, and who plays a deeper bench than Duke. Either our guys worked much harder on conditioning at every opportunity than did the Heels, or they just had that much more heart and desire than did the Heels.

Heck, the Carolina guys don't even have to take time for class and exams, and our guys still looked like they were in better shape!

Bob Green
03-11-2017, 09:21 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the starting five tweaked for tonight's game: Jefferson, Tatum, Kennard, Allen, Jackson. Jones is in a big time offensive funk so I prefer having Allen start and bring Jones in off the bench for his defense.

Tripping William
03-11-2017, 09:23 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing the starting five tweaked for tonight's game: Jefferson, Tatum, Kennard, Allen, Jackson. Jones is in a big time offensive funk so I prefer having Allen start and bring Jones in off the bench for his defense.

I don't often disagree with you, Bob, but I do this time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and the existing rotation ain't broke). Plus, Jones brings so much defensively against a perimeter-oriented offense like ND's.

lotusland
03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
It is interesting that I think the deficits have actually helped Duke. The fear of getting blown out can help supply energy. A big lead also gets tired teams to relax. Championships require a special mindset. Both Amile and Grayson know this. This is a game of emotion and hopefully Duke can generate that. I am expecting Matt to have a big game. Just watch.

Maybe but a strong first half tonight would be awesome. My halftime adjustment last night to stand dead center in front of the tv in the second half vs alternating left to right in the first half may not work again.

dukelifer
03-11-2017, 09:29 AM
Maybe but a strong first half tonight would be awesome. My halftime adjustment last night to stand dead center in front of the tv in the second half vs alternating left to right in the first half may not work again.

A big lead at the half will be draining. ND is the type of team that can rally. I will take a 1992 end of the game blowout.

CDu
I believe we are going to get our first ACC banner in a while tonight. For the first time in this tourney, we are facing a team that is smaller and plays no deeper than us.

We also face a team that doesn't have a great drive game. Let's get this championship!

rocketeli
Does anybody know what the crowd will be like, in terms of ND and Duke supporters? Like Duke and UNC, ND is a national brand, so how many of their fans will be there?

Bob Green
03-11-2017, 09:34 AM
If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and the existing rotation ain't broke).

You make a strong point. Jones will still get his minutes I am advocating starting with the best offensive players and bring Jones in to provide a defensive punch.

OldPhiKap
03-11-2017, 09:44 AM
Does anybody know what the crowd will be like, in terms of ND and Duke supporters? Like Duke and UNC, ND is a national brand, so how many of their fans will be there?

Both have big NYC fan bases.

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm gonna guess that the Irish are going to have the majority, in addition to the NYC alums, there are lots of NYC Catholics!!!!!!!!

Indoor66
03-11-2017, 11:09 AM
You make a strong point. Jones will still get his minutes I am advocating starting with the best offensive players and bring Jones in to provide a defensive punch.

You are probably outvoted. The guy on the bench prefers starting with defensive punch. ;)

As to the crowd, I will say about even on the split. The Dumpers will go to with Notre Dame (those few who stay around) and the Duke crowd will grow with Duke fans. Some Notre Dame Subway Alum will show up. Probably will work out OK.

NashvilleDevil
03-11-2017, 12:03 PM

I think Allen coming off the bench is a huge boost for Duke. This rotation is working for Duke and I do not think that K should mess with a good thing.

dukelifer
03-11-2017, 12:08 PM
I'm gonna guess that the Irish are going to have the majority, in addition to the NYC alums, there are lots of NYC Catholics!!!!!!!!

Catholics vs the Methodists tee shirts will go on sale before the game. Wonder if ESPN will make a documentary.

kAzE
03-11-2017, 12:31 PM
I think Allen coming off the bench is a huge boost for Duke. This rotation is working for Duke and I do not think that K should mess with a good thing.

100% agree. We just beat 2 Final Four caliber teams, and people want us to mess with that? Matt is going to be much more important in this game because he will be key in containing ND's perimeter shooting. Grayson is perfect as the super sub.

It doesn't matter who starts the game. It's all about who finishes it.

Kedsy
03-11-2017, 12:39 PM
It doesn't matter who starts the game. It's all about who finishes it.

Yeah, and I'm hoping for Nick Pagliuca and Justin Robinson. ;)

Henderson
03-11-2017, 12:49 PM
Notre Dame opened as a 2 point favorite, but the line immediately moved. Duke is now -4 or so.

tbyers11
03-11-2017, 12:58 PM
Notre Dame opened as a 2 point favorite, but the line immediately moved. Duke is now -4 or so.

Didn't Duke open as a 2 point favorite? That is what I saw.

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 01:03 PM

Well played. As I imagine you have quick-ish access to the data, have we played many more close ACC games (boths wins and losses) than in recent years? It sure feels that way. We haven't had an empty-the-bench moment in a long time (although empty the bench is rare for league games anyway). I am resigned to the idea that we aren't going to win many/any games by 10+.

kAzE
03-11-2017, 01:10 PM
In retrospect, does anybody else kind of think the loss at UNC on senior night may have been a blessing in disguise?

If our first game in this tournament is a game against Louisville, and the Cards had played the day before, and Grayson had his 0-point Clemson game against Louisville, we're probably 0-1 in this tournament, and 2-3 for our last 5 games. That Clemson game was huge for building momentum.

This tournament has been an amazing blessing, because we were finally able to play some games with our full healthy rotation and establish our identity as a team.

I thought we just HAD to have the 4 seed, but I was wrong. It turns out we needed the reps even more than than we needed the higher seed.

CDu
03-11-2017, 01:13 PM
In retrospect, does anybody else kind of think the loss at UNC on senior night may have been a blessing in disguise?

If our first game in this tournament is a game against Louisville, and the Cards had played the day before, and Grayson had his 0-point Clemson game against Louisville, we're probably 0 and 1 in this tournament, and 1-4 for our last 5 games. That Clemson game was huge for building momentum.

This tournament has been an amazing blessing, because we were finally able to play some games with our full healthy rotation and establish our identity as a team.

Well, we would be 2-3 if we had beaten UNC in that scenario.

kAzE
03-11-2017, 01:16 PM
Well, we would be 2-3 if we had beaten UNC in that scenario.

Dammit CDu, I just realized that, but you got me before I could edit it haha. Good catch.

But even still, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. We might not be here any other way.

CDu
03-11-2017, 01:20 PM
Dammit CDu, I just realized that, but you got me before I could edit it haha. Good catch.

But even still, I'm glad things worked out the way they did. We might not be here any other way.

Sorry!😀

Yeah it is funny how things work out. Glad it has worked out though. Here's hoping we can close it out tonight!

hudlow
03-11-2017, 01:24 PM
Didn't Duke open as a 2 point favorite? That is what I saw.

I think Henderson posted The Vatican line.

Turk
03-11-2017, 01:32 PM

Gonna add 2 more to the Duke side; taking one of the young Turks up to see the game. Pretty decent selection in the upper deck online for about $100 plus fees.

superdave
03-11-2017, 01:36 PM
Reps is a big thing. There's no way to get on a roll without playing the games.

If Grayson and Harry continue to give us lots of production off the bench, we dont hang just one banner....

Guard the 3 point line, the back door and clean the glass!

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 02:20 PM
When we have had success the past two days with drive and kick, I feel like Grayson was most interested in kicking, similar to when he was running PG earlier this year and some were frustrated that he wasn't looking to score enough. I wonder if Brey noticed and will play us more straight up to take away our 3s.

On the flip side, we have been a good 3 point shooting defense this year. Can we stifle a red hot ND perimeter game when it matters most?

84Duke
03-11-2017, 02:24 PM
Let's try not to get down double digits this time. Four wins in four days against four good teams would be really impressive. Though I can always do without the hipsters, this would be a good day to spend in Brooklyn.

DukieInKansas
03-11-2017, 02:34 PM

As long as it is for the right reason!

84Duke
03-11-2017, 02:37 PM
I played basketball four times in four days. But no one ever expected me to jump. You could score a lot of points in Card Gym as a sluggish, beer-infested college student. High school me could jump; college me did not care about the jumping.

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 02:49 PM
Oh we want them, man,” Notre Dame guard Rex Pflueger said early Saturday morning after the Irish ousted Florida State, 77-73, in the semifinals Friday at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. “We’ve been looking forward to it. We just look at the next game. We had to look forward to Virginia (in the quarterfinals). We had to look forward to Florida State. Now we get to look forward to Duke. With Duke’s big win over North Carolina, they are probably feeling good about themselves. So we’re excited because we are feeling good about ourselves and it’s going to be a great matchup.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article137929598.html#storylink=cpy

Olympic Fan
03-11-2017, 02:52 PM
Oh we want them, man,” Notre Dame guard Rex Pflueger said early Saturday morning after the Irish ousted Florida State, 77-73, in the semifinals Friday at Brooklyn’s Barclays Center. “We’ve been looking forward to it. We just look at the next game. We had to look forward to Virginia (in the quarterfinals). We had to look forward to Florida State. Now we get to look forward to Duke. With Duke’s big win over North Carolina, they are probably feeling good about themselves. So we’re excited because we are feeling good about ourselves and it’s going to be a great matchup.”

Read more here: http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article137929598.html#storylink=cpy

While I'd love to see some bulletin board material, I can't see where anything Pflueger said was out of line ...

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 02:54 PM
While I'd love to see some bulletin board material, I can't see where anything Pflueger said was out of line ...

Work with me here, Olympic Fan...I am trying to stir up the faithful into a pre-game lather!!!

uh_no
03-11-2017, 02:56 PM

DARN IT...he's being too complimentary of our team! lets beat em into a pulp!

Kedsy
03-11-2017, 02:59 PM
Well played. As I imagine you have quick-ish access to the data, have we played many more close ACC games (boths wins and losses) than in recent years? It sure feels that way. We haven't had an empty-the-bench moment in a long time (although empty the bench is rare for league games anyway). I am resigned to the idea that we aren't going to win many/any games by 10+.

Well, we pretty much had an empty-the-bench second half this season against Georgia Tech. But in general I think you're right. Here's the data for the past 10 seasons:

FINAL MARGINS IN DUKE ACC GAMES

Year 1-5 pts 6-10 11-15 16-20 21+
---- ------- ------ ------- ------- -----
2017 7 6 3 1 1
2016 7 6 4 1 0
2015 4 5 4 2 3
2014 4 3 4 2 5
2013 6 1 1 5 5
2012 6 4 3 2 1
2011 2 3 5 3 3
2010 2 3 4 4 3
2009 3 5 3 2 3
2008 2 4 7 3 0

Last season we played almost the same (a little closer), but before that, fewer very close games and (in general) more wide margins.

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 03:15 PM
Last season we played almost the same (a little closer), but before that, fewer very close games and (in general) more wide margins.

Thanks for pulling that together. It seems that as the league added some of the Big East squads, our number of close games as increased as well.

weezie
03-11-2017, 03:54 PM
Work with me here, Olympic Fan...I am trying to stir up the faithful into a pre-game lather!!!

I hear you! Just took a nice nap in order to refresh from last night and be ready for 9pm tonight. Looking and feeling pretty good!

Gots to do what a girl gots to do!

Utley
03-11-2017, 03:57 PM
Two questions:

1) Anyone else wearing the same outfit for every game of the tourney? (I've been washing the tshirt)
2) Winning tonight would feel like .....? I texted a friend that something about this season - and being the first to win 4 games in 4 days - against arguably the strongest ACC conference ever - and breaking the Heels hearts in the process - would make this feel like getting to the Final 4. He was of the view not even close. Thoughts?

KandG
03-11-2017, 04:00 PM
Well, we pretty much had an empty-the-bench second half this season against Georgia Tech. But in general I think you're right. Here's the data for the past 10 seasons:

FINAL MARGINS IN DUKE ACC GAMES

Year 1-5 pts 6-10 11-15 16-20 21+
---- ------- ------ ------- ------- -----
2017 7 6 3 1 1
2016 7 6 4 1 0
2015 4 5 4 2 3
2014 4 3 4 2 5
2013 6 1 1 5 5
2012 6 4 3 2 1
2011 2 3 5 3 3
2010 2 3 4 4 3
2009 3 5 3 2 3
2008 2 4 7 3 0

Actually, I'm glad someone asked Kedsy to pull this data because I was just thinking about this subject before the tournament, and worrying about how modest our point differential in wins seemed to be.

If you look at the number of wins over 10+ points, the only other times we had as few as five 10+ point wins this late in the season were 2016 and 2012. (Those teams had their issues and I'd hope this year's group has a higher ceiling). And while final margins can be deceptive because of late fouling, FT shooting, etc, most Duke fans know that even the relatively "comfortable" wins by this group have not felt comfortable until the final minute.

I'm sure more analysis could be done to determine how much of this is the difficulty of the schedule, but part of the surreal nature of watching this year's team has been how "Duke-like" they've looked in stretches and how un Duke-like they've been in others, and how few blowouts there have been.

With that said, I find a lot of encouragement in the team not only jelling and getting past the injury issues they've been plagued with all year, but in putting together massive second half runs that are the next best thing to a big double digit win. Runs of 29-9 vs UNC and 29-12 vs Louisville on a neutral court have been really nice. The only comparable run during the regular season (outside of the Georgia Tech blowout) was the 20-0 run against Miami at Cameron...interestingly, also after being down double digits.

There's still room for the team to improve, but it might just be the M.O. of the team in the NCAA tournament to bend but not break, and to eventually overwhelm the other team with sheer firepower from multiple options.

MaxAMillion
03-11-2017, 04:11 PM

Their fan base is for football. Heck most of their sites have more focus on spring football than the ACC tournament. Duke will have most of the fans in the building. If it were football,it would be the opposite.

Kedsy
03-11-2017, 04:30 PM
If you look at the number of wins over 10+ points, the only other times we had as few as five 10+ point wins this late in the season were 2016 and 2012.

First of all, note that my table was "margin," which are not necessarily all wins. But if you look at games with > 10 margins, it's even more pronounced than you say, because the 2012 season was 6 10+ margins in 16 games (37.5%) and the last two seasons have each been 5 out of 18 games (27.8%).

Just giving wins by > 10:

2017: 3 (16.7% of all games; 27.3% of wins)
2016: 3 (16.7% of all games; 27.3% of wins)
2015: 7 (38.9% of all games; 53.8% of wins)
2014: 11 (61.1% of all games; 84.6% of wins)
2013: 10 (55.6% of all games; 71.4% of wins)
2012: 5 (31.3% of all games; 38.5% of wins)
2011: 10 (62.5% of all games; 76.9% of wins)
2010: 10 (62.5% of all games; 76.9% of wins)
2009: 6 (37.5% of all games; 54.5% of wins)
2008: 9 (56.3% of all games; 69.2% of wins)

I've included percentage of all conference games to adjust for the fact that we played 16 games from 2008 to 2012 and 18 games from 2013 to 2017, as well as the percentage of > 10 point wins compared to all wins. I assume a big part of the recent spate of close games is related to the addition of Syracuse, Louisville, and Notre Dame to the conference, along with the uneven schedule.

Kjeffrey
03-11-2017, 04:36 PM
I wonder if Colson will do a brush by on Coach K after making a basket. Tony Bennett was very classy when Colson did it the other night.

budwom
03-11-2017, 04:49 PM
Two questions:

1) Anyone else wearing the same outfit for every game of the tourney? (I've been washing the tshirt)
2) Winning tonight would feel like ....? I texted a friend that something about this season - and being the first to win 4 games in 4 days - against arguably the strongest ACC conference ever - and breaking the Heels hearts in the process - would make this feel like getting to the Final 4. He was of the view not even close. Thoughts?

My lucky socks are getting a bit pungent...

hsheffield
03-11-2017, 04:51 PM
My lucky socks are getting a bit pungent...

my lucky socks were purchased at RDU right before the '91 FF. they're getting threadbare but they still have the juju:cool:

Coballs
03-11-2017, 04:55 PM
I'm heading to the game and looking to purchase tickets on StubHub.

Does anyone know which side of the court the Duke bench will be on tonight? Same side as last night? And does anyone know how the team benches get assigned in the conference tournament...higher seed gets to choose? I don't want to find myself in the middle of an ND section.

BandAlum83
03-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Two questions:

2) Winning tonight would feel like ....? I texted a friend that something about this season - and being the first to win 4 games in 4 days - against arguably the strongest ACC conference ever - and breaking the Heels hearts in the process - would make this feel like getting to the Final 4. He was of the view not even close. Thoughts?

Same outfit, same t-shirt, not washed.

I have taken showers.

Gotta wait 4 more hours! If the waiting is tortuous for us, what must it be like for the players?

NYBri
03-11-2017, 05:09 PM
Two questions:

I'll have to go back and check the rule book, but I don't think washing shirts between victories is allowed? :cool:

davekay1971
03-11-2017, 05:24 PM
I'll have to go back and check the rule book, but I don't think washing shirts between victories is allowed? :cool:

Yep. If you're not willing to stink for it, the basketball gods aren't impressed.

dukegirl1218
03-11-2017, 05:35 PM

Does anyone know which side of the court the Duke bench will be on tonight? Same side as last night? And does anyone know how the team benches get assigned in the conference tournament...higher seed gets to choose? I don't want to find myself in the middle of an ND section.

Duke has had the same bench since Wednesday so I'd guess we would have the same bench tonight. And that bench is predominantly a Duke section.

DukieInBrasil
03-11-2017, 05:41 PM
Two questions:

had the UNC win taken place in the ACCT finals, then maybe close to a Final 4. Otherwise, just a sweet dagger driving heartbreaking win over Cheaterlina. Should we win tonight 4 wins in 4 days will help this team immensely and make getting to the Final 4 much more likely, thru improved confidence, improved chemistry, improved seeding and more time on the court together. Winning is contagious and winning championships is what K is all about. So winning the ACCT will improve the likelihood we win more!

dukegirl1218
03-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Two questions:

2) Winning tonight would feel like ...? I texted a friend that something about this season - and being the first to win 4 games in 4 days - against arguably the strongest ACC conference ever - and breaking the Heels hearts in the process - would make this feel like getting to the Final 4. He was of the view not even close. Thoughts?

I've been in a Brooklyn hotel since Wednesday so no laundry for me. Day 4 for my outfit. I did switch from crocs to uggs last night and that worked out okay.

Pghdukie
03-11-2017, 05:47 PM
If you want to stir the pot - carry a sign into Barclay's that reads THE GIPPER VS THE TRIPPER! That will raise the roof a few ceilings !

peteandpete
03-11-2017, 05:51 PM
I've been in a Brooklyn hotel since Wednesday so no laundry for me. Day 4 for my outfit. I did switch from crocs to uggs last night and that worked out okay.

Have seats become available next to you?

Indoor66
03-11-2017, 05:58 PM

I can't answer your questions but I will bet big money that the hoops will be 10' off the floor. 😂😎

dukegirl1218
03-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Have seats become available next to you?

It started out as a mostly Louisville section but since our win we've had different people around us for every game. I'm sure someone is selling them. It's Section 10 if that helps. And plenty of Duke all around.

mr. synellinden
03-11-2017, 06:01 PM
I don't often disagree with you, Bob, but I do this time. If it ain't broke, don't fix it (and the existing rotation ain't broke). Plus, Jones brings so much defensively against a perimeter-oriented offense like ND's.

On the other hand, it's not like we've set the world on fire in the first half of the last two games. In fact, our defense has been terrible in both games. If we're talking about how we start the game and play in the first half, it might be broke. However, I think there is something psychologically beneficial to Grayson coming in off the bench - he just seems to have embraced that role well. I could go either way on this one but I trust K.

jv001
03-11-2017, 06:02 PM
I don't want to sound negative but I just thought of something that might hurt us tonight. The last time we beat uncheat in a hotly contested game, our next game was on short rest against a physical Clemson team. We won a close game 64-62 but it was a nail bitter. I don't think ND is as physical team as Clemson, but they aren't bad either. Colson has been a thorn in our side for a while now and I know he'll be fired up. That said, I think we win a close game and another ACCT title. GoDuke!

BandAlum83
03-11-2017, 06:04 PM

It would be so great for you any any other DBR's in brooklyn to post some pictures of the Duke faithful, signs, venue, etc.

I so wish I were there. I'm tempted to plan a week in NY next year. Visit family, see a couple shows, see Duke win Back-to-backs!

ArtVandelay
03-11-2017, 06:21 PM
I feel obliged to appease the basketball gods by throwing a bit of cold water on the over-confidence in this thread and stressing that this is going to be a tough game tonight. As good as we have looked in stretches, we have also looked pedestrian for long stretches the past three days. Remember we had to eke out a win against a good but not exactly world beating Clemson team. The margin of error against big time competition remains slim. And don't sleep on the quality of ND's two wins against UVA and FSU. They looked REALLY good against the Hoos and have had our number lately in general. They have four guys that can hurt you on any given night. I expect we will have to go small to contain them on the defensive end, which will tax our guys and Gray's ankle. The formula remains the same for us to be successful but we can't let last nights win get to our heads or let our foot off the gas or we could easily find ourselves down double digits again. I would like to see Luke get off the bus before the second half (someone keep him away from those notorious Park Slope bars!). Win or lose, it's been a great tournament. Go Duke!

sagegrouse
03-11-2017, 06:28 PM

Capt. Obvious, reporting for duty. Your odds of avoiding an exclusively Notre Dame section are pretty darned good -- much greater than 90 percent. The ACC would have divided the Barclay's Arena into fifteen different areas (not contiguous), each corresponding to a different team. Moreover, it seems unlikely that the folks in the Notre Dame section would put their tickets for sale on StubHub. Ergo, says the good Captain, available tickets will be in other sections. Of course, you ain't likely to score tickets in Duke sections either, but I expect there will be Duke fans everywhere except in the ND section.

nathancjack
03-11-2017, 07:03 PM
Two questions:

Yes. Son and I have been going to Brooklyn 4 days now wearing the same clothes, with no washing. Don't want to lose the good karma.

Brockt10
03-11-2017, 07:20 PM

I refuse to shower or change during the current win streak.

dukelion
03-11-2017, 07:45 PM
I feel obliged to appease the basketball gods by throwing a bit of cold water on the over-confidence in this thread and stressing that this is going to be a tough game tonight. As good as we have looked in stretches, we have also looked pedestrian for long stretches the past three days. Remember we had to eke out a win against a good but not exactly world beating Clemson team. The margin of error against big time competition remains slim. And don't sleep on the quality of ND's two wins against UVA and FSU. They looked REALLY good against the Hoos and have had our number lately in general. They have four guys that can hurt you on any given night. I expect we will have to go small to contain them on the defensive end, which will tax our guys and Gray's ankle. The formula remains the same for us to be successful but we can't let last nights win get to our heads or let our foot off the gas or we could easily find ourselves down double digits again. I would like to see Luke get off the bus before the second half (someone keep him away from those notorious Park Slope bars!). Win or lose, it's been a great tournament. Go Duke!

This

To be frank we've looked absolutely terrible defensively for significant stretches against both Louisville and UNC. I'd like to see that tighten up obviously but I wouldn't be shocked if it happened again tonight. However, I do think we match up well with ND since they lack bigs and dominant slasher type guards. Couple that with our ACC best 3pt defense and I like our chances.

But no matter what the outcome it was a great and needed 4 day trip to Brooklyn.

Chard
03-11-2017, 07:53 PM
ND shot very well last night. I'm hoping that their percentage from three takes a nose dive tonight. Duke leads in almost every team Stat for the season. They need to protect the ball and limit their turn overs.

Ultrarunner
03-11-2017, 08:02 PM
ND shot very well last night. I'm hoping that their percentage from three takes a nose dive tonight. Duke leads in almost every team Stat for the season. They need to protect the ball and limit their turn overs.

And not foul. ND is an outstanding free-throw shooting team.

subzero02
03-11-2017, 08:22 PM
We are favored by 4.5 points by most books and the money has been going on us. I expect a very good game but I expect to win. We need to limit their open looks from outside and also hit the defensive boards.

BigZ
03-11-2017, 08:24 PM
Need to not fall way behind again. Luke needs to have a good first half

Troublemaker
03-11-2017, 08:33 PM

Yeah, I'm worried about Notre Dame's 5-out offense. Amile and Harry will have to guard Colson out to the 3-pt line, so the rest of the team needs to work hard to not give up drives because there won't be rim protection available. Notre Dame will also test Duke's pick-and-roll defense. Most of the elements that have caused ND to give Duke problems in the past are still there -- Bonzi, spreading the court, good guards, pick and roll.

They spanked FSU twice this season. The Seminoles couldn't guard them.

Ballboy1998
03-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I'm worried about Notre Dame's 5-out offense. Amile and Harry will have to guard Colson out to the 3-pt line, so the rest of the team needs to work hard to not give up drives because there won't be rim protection available. Notre Dame will also test Duke's pick-and-roll defense. Most of the elements that have caused ND to give Duke problems in the past are still there -- Bonzi, spreading the court, good guards, pick and roll.

They spanked FSU twice this season. The Seminoles couldn't guard them.

I suspect us fans should go ahead and brace for seeing a layup drill at times. K is going to emphasize limiting their 3s and making them beat us from 2. I don't disagree with the strategy, but it may be painful to watch at times.

I never feel comfortable with a Notre Dame matchup, as Brey's normal offensive style really exposes some of Duke's traditional defensive weaknesses. But, as others have said, this is a slightly different Notre Dame team style-wise from recent renditions and Duke arguably matches up better with this one. That said, ND has been playing great in this tourney and it will be a battle for Duke to come out with the W.

The guys have a chance to finish tonight as champions. Go out there and take it! Go Duke!

dalmatians98
03-11-2017, 08:47 PM
Two questions:

I have a game shirt ritual that I've followed for a number of years now. I wear the same plain gray t-shirt with DUKE on the chest. The shirt only gets worn for games and as long as Duke wins, it remains unwashed.

I've had this particular shirt for 10 years and on the whole, its holding up well. When the team's on a long win streak, I confess it can get a tad gamy after a while.

Utley
03-11-2017, 09:02 PM
Let's cut down some nets!

riverside6
03-11-2017, 09:06 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Notre Dame

http://www.scacchoops.com/duke-at-notre-dame-basketball-live-stats-3112017-9-pm

subzero02
03-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Matt has to start making those open 3s... we need to step out on their perimeter shooters a bit faster. We hesitated on their 2 made 3s thus far.

DU82
03-11-2017, 09:15 PM
Two questions:

The team has worn the same uniforms for the past three games (different one for Clemson.)

summerwind03
03-11-2017, 09:21 PM
The team has worn the same uniforms for the past three games (different one for Clemson.)

Do you think they've washed them?

rsvman
03-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Frank is playing well, but it seems he invariably throws at least one weak, telegraphed pass that gets picked off. Frustrating.

But otherwise he's playing well.

rsvman
03-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Another great steal by uncle Matt.

NM Duke Fan
03-11-2017, 09:27 PM
Team looks fantastic so far. Great ball movement, defense, alley oops, flushes, wow! Giles is already in a nice groove too.

dukelion
I'm trying not to get too excited but.....damn we look good right now.

subzero02
The 3s...

ncexnyc
03-11-2017, 09:28 PM
It was really great to see a Duke player crash the boards and slam home a rebound.

uh_no
03-11-2017, 09:28 PM
Another great steal by uncle Matt.

yeah but he missed a 3...GET HIM OFF THE FLOOR HE DOESN"T DESERVE TO BE OUT THERE!!!!
/s

(nothing against rsvman, just hate that so many have expressed that sentiment....)

Ballboy1998
03-11-2017, 09:32 PM
Really interesting start to the game. Not at all what I expected, with Duke really trying to clog the lane and giving up some pretty open looks from three in the process. Duke hasn't given up good looks inside the 3 point line, and is really attacking well on offense. I bet we will see a couple interesting adjustments both ways in this one. Two really high level coaches going at it.

gocanes0506
03-11-2017, 09:38 PM
Team looks good but seem unable to nail a dagger to push it to double digits.

Chard
03-11-2017, 09:41 PM
Matt will be fresher tonight. Duke will need him to make hustle plays.

subzero02
03-11-2017, 09:43 PM
I can see the fatigue a ltitle bit... if we were rebounding a bit better defensively or if they weren't shooting so well from 3, we'd be up by 15 or more. I also don't know why Amile did a double take before hitting Luke for the open 3 off of Tatum's missed FT...

rsvman
03-11-2017, 09:43 PM
Several missed opportunities. I like that the refs are largely staying out if it.
I'm a little nervous because these guys can shoot. I'd love to see a double digit lead at the half.

duketaylor
03-11-2017, 09:45 PM
Harry, impressive. Good start. Keep going, no sign of tired legs. Rest next 5 days!!

C'mon Devils!!!!!

uh_no
03-11-2017, 09:45 PM
like that we've gotten to a point where we can play giles/amile if we need to. flexibility is always nice.

rsvman
03-11-2017, 09:47 PM
Terrible end to the half. Terrible.

Ballboy1998
03-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Bad last two minutes, but a huge play by Grayson to finish the half. I think that bucket to finish on a little bit of a high note was big.

BigZ
03-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Damn if we ar going to foul stop allowing them to make the basket

duketaylor
03-11-2017, 09:49 PM
Should be up more, about 10.

Can't do chat, too much blah.

rsvman
That foul call on Frank was ridiculous. He was trying to protect himself from a moving screen.

Grayson with a nice layup to end it, though.

gocanes0506
ND is too good to give them this much chance to hang around. Everytime the team has a chance to take control of the game a turnover occurs. It should be a 9+ difference not 4.

ncexnyc
03-11-2017, 09:50 PM
Nothing like calling a time out to have your team focus on closing the half efficiently, only to watch them play poorly.

dukelion
03-11-2017, 09:51 PM
Terrible end to the half. Terrible.

It's been a theme for most of the season. At least Grayson sort of made up for it a bit.

CDu
03-11-2017, 09:52 PM
We have been a second half team all tournament. Time to do it again.

Ballboy1998
03-11-2017, 09:54 PM
While I agree that Duke missed some chances to stretch the margin a bit (and that ND is a dangerous team to let hang around), it was a really great first half by Duke, and hard to believe it is their fourth game in as many days.

The good news is that Duke is up after having only hit three 3s. I think a few more of those will fall in the second half. The defense was truly great against a good offensive team. Other than giving up a couple open 3s and a few too many second chances (largely on long rebounds off bricks), one of Duke's better defensive performances in a half. Hopefully they have enough in the tank to carry them to the finish.

Giles makes some of the most athletic rebounds look easy, and Tatum's put back was insane.

arnie
I can see the fatigue a ltitle bit... if we were rebounding a bit better defensively or if they weren't shooting so well from 3, we'd be up by 15 or more. I also don't know why Amile did a double take before hitting Luke for the open 3 off of Tatum's missed FT...

I think fatigue is definitely an issue. Giles and Allen could be huge in the 2nd half, concerned that Tatum and Kennard might wear down.

Chard
Gotta be smarter with the ball. 5 turnovers vs. 2.

rsvman

Agree. I hope we have enough gas in the tank.

gocanes0506
03-11-2017, 09:55 PM

Playing the 4th game in and many days makes it hard to count on that. Hopefully it still is the case.

CDu
03-11-2017, 09:57 PM
Agree. I hope we have enough gas in the tank.

Playing the 4th game in and many days makes it hard to count on that. Hopefully it still is the case.

This team is becoming special. I have faith.

And we are deeper than they are.

jv001
03-11-2017, 09:58 PM
yeah but he missed a 3...GET HIM OFF THE FLOOR HE DOESN"T DESERVE TO BE OUT THERE!!!!
/s

(nothing against rsvman, just hate that so many have expressed that sentiment...)

You had me there for a second. But I see the tongue in cheek in your post. GoMatt and GoDuke!

kako
I think we look good overall. Yeah the last 2 minutes wasn't great, and a 7 or 9-point lead turned into a 4-point lead. Not great, but not a big deal. ND is a very good team, runs will happen for them. Duke just needs to respond.

Duke's D overall is ok, ND is hitting 3s which is keeping them in the game. K may make an adjustment. But Duke isn't in foul trouble. Allen and Giles are playing well. Tatum is his usual athletic self. Kennard is hitting. Jackson is slashing in. They just need to keep hustling and be hungry. They are playing like the better team.

Utley
We're stronger and more athletic. A few too many mental errors and some bad bounces. Play smarter and a karmic reversion to the mean and we make history.

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:00 PM
ND is too good to give them this much chance to hang around. Everytime the team has a chance to take control of the game a turnover occurs. It should be a 9+ difference not 4.

I was just about to post something similar about turnovers at THE most crucial times by this team! I've noticed it a lot in the ACCT especially, but it seems like way more often than not, when we have a bit of a lead and then get a (somewhat rare) stop on the defensive end, we often end up turning it over and not even getting a shot up to the rim!!! Drives me absolutely nuts. I mean, I'd rather have a bad shot than a walk/moving screen/pass to no one because at least there's a more-than-zero chance it'll go in and we MIGHT get some points.

Ugh, this feels like a game where we ought to be up 15. At least Grayson left us on a somewhat high note. Let's go Duke!!! :cool:

Billy Dat
03-11-2017, 10:02 PM

Agree, this is the best we've looked in the first half all tournament. We got 'em right where we want 'em.

monkey
03-11-2017, 10:02 PM
Good first half... woulda shoulda been better the last two minutes? Sure... but overall very pleased with the effort and the quickness the team is showing given all the games played in a row

Skydog
03-11-2017, 10:04 PM
We're stronger and more athletic. A few too many mental errors and some bad bounces. Play smarter and a karmic reversion to the mean and we make history.

All season Notre Dame has been a great three point shooting team (39%) and the 2nd lowest turn over team in nation. It's not all on us. We just have to beat them play by play.

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:05 PM
I was leaving the room, but I think coach Capel said something about Duke needing to turn some of those long ND rebounds into transition baskets. That would be nice - let's make it happen! And, for the love of all that is sacred and holy, can Amile PLEASE stop giving these little touch fouls as guys are laying it in the basket? He's a 5th year player and should know better. Either back off or foul them hard enough that they don't also make the shot!

monkey
03-11-2017, 10:12 PM
Forcing some shots to start the half...settle down boys ...

dukelion
Starting to run out of gas.

jipops
Fatigue looking like a factor now. Starting to look spent. That was a tired looking foul by Amile, his 3rd.

BigZ
Jackson's 3rd foul is a big deal. Jones in the game allows them to double team

CDu
Gonna need Giles to step up again. Jefferson with a few dumb fouls in this one. Hope our guys can buckle down.

Chard
Can't give them easy buckets! Value the possession!

gocanes0506
Bad start to the half. Jefferson and Jackson getting their 3rd fouls and D lacking. Just need to turn it around

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:13 PM
Need some energy - maybe Harry can provide?

DUKIECB
03-11-2017, 10:14 PM
Sloppy start to the half. Hope we aren't getting tired.

Harry will need to step up again with Jefferson in the bench with three fouls.

jipops
03-11-2017, 10:14 PM
I feel like we had the chance to create separation at the end of the half and blew it. That could end up being our undoing, we'll see.

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Getting ugly...sigh

gocanes0506
03-11-2017, 10:18 PM
Ooof.

jipops
03-11-2017, 10:20 PM
That Giles fumble may be a microcosm of this game. ND just too sharp.

BigZ
03-11-2017, 10:21 PM
No wayColsan is 6"5

davekay1971
The guys look tired. Moving a step slower than ND. Good timeout just before the TV timeout

CDu
Gonna have to dig deep. We have been trailing by more in each of the last two games. Gotta get stops.

kaufmjo
Zone time. Too tired

szstark
03-11-2017, 10:22 PM
Out of gas. Need some digging deep to get some energy back.

ncexnyc
Need to clean-up the sloppy play.

DUKIECB
Gonna have to dig deep. We have been trailing by more in each of the last two games. Gotta get stops.I agree. Good defense leads to good offense. One play at a time.

kako
03-11-2017, 10:23 PM
A lot of time left, but need a plan to stop Colson. Time for Jones to do what he's supposed to do. Help from Jefferson.

kaufmjo
Also put Jason on Bonzi

Utley
We've come back twice - stat the faith

gocanes0506
How does Colson not get called for fouls?

Edit: Well that worked

Eternal Outlaw
03-11-2017, 10:24 PM
Fouls aren't a thing anymore on that half of the floor

davekay1971
How does Colson not get called for fouls?

Exactly. He simply ran over Grayson. That no call was a joke

monkey
How is ramming someone at mid court not a foul ... then leads to easy basket?

jipops
03-11-2017, 10:25 PM
We have to hit 3's. Not going to get any stops.

Ballboy1998
LOL at that football play. 1 Foul in the half on ND... come on!

ChrisP

Agreed but...we're looking ragged in all aspects right now

kaufmjo
The refs are Irish

Kjeffrey
03-11-2017, 10:26 PM

He gets away with a lot and that play is example #1. I don't want to complain about the refs but geez he is allowed to make a lot of contact.

BigZ
03-11-2017, 10:26 PM
You would think a football game would favor the better football school but it is not

rsvman
03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
One of the worst no calls ever.

DUKIECB
03-11-2017, 10:27 PM
Only down 5. Feels like a lot more.

bleedingblue88
03-11-2017, 10:28 PM
Need to get Grayson out of the game. Out of control

CDu
Allen really struggling.

ChrisP
Well...dang

Kjeffrey
03-11-2017, 10:29 PM
Who is more unlikeable - Beacham or Colson?

DukieInKansas
03-11-2017, 10:30 PM

Colson

gocanes0506
03-11-2017, 10:30 PM

Easily Colson

kaufmjo
03-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Jefferson has dramatically improved inside.

monkey
03-11-2017, 10:31 PM
Refs seem to have swallowed their whistles

CDu
03-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Gotta hope Jackson avoids his fourth because Allen has had a tough night.

jipops
03-11-2017, 10:32 PM
Amile keeping us in it

kako
03-11-2017, 10:34 PM
Why blow the whistle?????

gocanes0506
Colson just bowled through the lane and no foul call

ChrisP
Why blow the whistle?????

Word!!!???

monkey
Except when Duke has 5 on 4 .. then they blow the whistle

Eternal Outlaw
03-11-2017, 10:35 PM
WTF, he wasn't in any danger to stop the play!

bleedingblue88
03-11-2017, 10:35 PM
We have no excuse not to win this game now if Colson doesn't come back.

EDIT: lol spoke too soon

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:36 PM
I'm sorry Colson got hurt but how in the heck do refs justify stopping play there?

BigZ
Refs don't even now rules

CDu
Yeah that was a crappy whistle. Gotta take advantage of this break. Colson is the key to that team. If he is out, their offense suffers a lot.

monkey
03-11-2017, 10:37 PM
I'm sorry Colson got hurt but how in the heck do refs justify stopping play there?

Agree with this...that was awful

jipops
We have no excuse not to win this game now if Colson doesn't come back.

This could be a huge break, no pun intended

Utley
Box out guys. It's killing us. How do they stop the game there?

WakeDevil
The refs are Irish

No, they are from Chapel Hill.

davekay1971

To give ESPN a chance to digitally insert Grayson into the play, tripping Bonzi

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Colson will be back. I can't stand him but he's a great player and I expect him back

Kjeffrey
03-11-2017, 10:38 PM
Box out guys. It's killing us. How do they stop the game there?

Honestly I thought they called in a reach in foul because I couldn't imagine they would have blown the whistle for an injured player.

jipops
03-11-2017, 10:40 PM
Amile looks hurt

kaufmjo
03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Farrell is so gutsy. Yeah exactly

Kjeffrey
03-11-2017, 10:41 PM
Frank Jackson is such a gutsy young player.

kaufmjo
03-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Gutsy call by the refs

monkey
03-11-2017, 10:45 PM
Lotta guts out there

gocanes0506
Gutsy timeout by coach

jipops
We got some good fight. Would like to see more rebounds.

ChrisP
I believe!!! Let's Go DUKE!!!!!

davekay1971
Gutsy posts, guys

Kjeffrey
03-11-2017, 10:46 PM
How can ND have been whistled for only 2 fouls? Duke has been driving...you'd think that would include some contact by ND.

BigZ
03-11-2017, 10:46 PM
Get Allen back in

monkey
03-11-2017, 10:49 PM
Contact lens problem ... better stop play

gocanes0506
03-11-2017, 10:50 PM
Oh snap a ND and Colson foul sighting. They do exist

kaufmjo
03-11-2017, 10:50 PM
How many timeouts will get this half

kako
03-11-2017, 10:51 PM
Contact lens problem ... better stop play

I think the stops in play benefit Duke. They get rest.

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:51 PM
That's only foul #2 on ND? WHAT??? That's 18 minutes played with two fouls? Right, got it

DUKIECB
03-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Jones!

monkey
Matt Jones' biggest shot ever?

kostar
matt freaking jones

kaufmjo
Wow he totally redeemed himself

subzero02
03-11-2017, 10:55 PM
I think the stops in play benefit Duke. They get rest.

Yeah... but everyone's heart stopping with Matt's 3 in the air was not good for me

kako
03-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Matt Jones' biggest shot ever?

The 2015 regionals against Baylor? Gonzaga? was bigger, but I'll take that one.

kaufmjo
03-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Tatum is sick

CDu
03-11-2017, 10:57 PM
This team is special.

ChrisP
03-11-2017, 10:57 PM
To all the Matt Jones haters around here...how ya like him mow???? Huge 3 and then the pass to Tatum for the And1!

bleedingblue88
03-11-2017, 10:58 PM
We are going to ride Tatum to the promise land or fall with him. I love this kid.

kostar
what a huge game by jefferson. was a machine tonight!

DUKIECB
No quit in these guys. Unbelievable

kako
The cream always rises to the top!

Ballboy1998
03-11-2017, 10:59 PM
Matt. M. F. Jones.