PDA

View Full Version : MOTM: Duke vs. Carolina (ACCT Semis)

JBDuke
03-10-2017, 09:38 PM
Who was Man of the Match in Duke's win over Carolina tonight?

Troublemaker
03-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Grayson performed CPR on Duke tonight.

JasonEvans
03-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Good luck picking here!!

A strong, strong case can be made for Kennard, Allen, Tatum or maybe... maybe... Giles.

Can we pick multiple players?

Bob Green
03-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Grayson Allen! Without his 3 PT barrage in the 1st half the game could have gotten out of control.

DukeFanSince1990
03-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Harry. He came up big in the clutch. Huge in the clutch.

DU82
03-10-2017, 09:41 PM
Harry stepped up when we needed him. Didn't score as much as others, but he was huge. Who's overrated now?

AtlBluRew
03-10-2017, 09:42 PM
Harry stepped up when we needed him. Didn't score as much as others, but he was huge. Who's overrated now?

Wasn't that fun to watch?

jv001
03-10-2017, 09:44 PM
Would give old roy 2nd place behind Grayson for leaving Berry in to get his 4th foul. GoDuke!

FerryFor50
03-10-2017, 09:54 PM
The last two MOTM have been toughh. Multiple players could have gotten it.

Had to go with Tatum, though. His dunk over Meeks sparked the Duke run after Berry went out and he was consistently good all game. But Allen was a close 2nd.

Ultrarunner
03-10-2017, 09:56 PM
Harry and Jayson did a great job, Luke came through in the second half again, but the heart of this team is Grayson.

UNCfan
03-10-2017, 09:58 PM
I don't see Nate Britt's name? He should be under consideration!

weezie
03-10-2017, 09:59 PM
I may have said this before, but, ALL OUT!

dukelifer
03-10-2017, 10:05 PM
Grayson was the key- but it was Giles best game. It played unafraid for 2 minutes. That was great to see.

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2017, 10:09 PM
Grayson was the key- but it was Giles best game. It played unafraid for 2 minutes. That was great to see.

Jesús dude. I know Giles hasn't lived up to expectations, but Giles is a 'he', not an 'it'

buddy
03-10-2017, 10:10 PM
This was a total team effort, but I voted for Harry because his efforts not only were excellent, but so very necessary. Jayson, Grayson and Luke did what was expected. Harry did what was unexpected.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-10-2017, 10:11 PM
Grayson! But I could have voted for Jayson, Luke, Frank or, for the first time this year, Harry! LGD GTHc!

CDu
03-10-2017, 10:13 PM
Kennard, Tatum, Allen, Jackson, Jefferson, and Giles. All were monsters in the second half. They all deserve it. I don't care if that sounds lame. That second half performance was amazing.

pamtar
03-10-2017, 10:16 PM
I'm soooooo proud of Grayson for stepping up tonight but that's what a junior is supposed to do. My vote goes to Harry Giles who finally played like the number one recruit. And he did it on the defensive end of the court, which is even more impressive. He found his niche in the flow of the game and made the absolute best of it.

Tatum kept us in it, Grayson gave us the lead, but Harry signed the envelop, licked it, and then smacked a stamp on it and stuffed it in the mailbox.

jv001
03-10-2017, 10:17 PM
Kennard, Tatum, Allen, Jackson, Jefferson, and Giles. All were monsters in the second half. They all deserve it. I don't care if that sounds lame. That second half performance was amazing.

It took great efforts from all of those guys tonight. The FIST. Yeh, team work. GoDuke!

BluDvlsN1
03-10-2017, 10:19 PM
Grayson Allen! Without his 3 PT barrage in the 1st half the game could have gotten out of control.

Agreed Bob, he pretty much neutralized all Meeks inside work with his 3's...Game reset and an example of what was possible.

DU82
03-10-2017, 10:19 PM
It took great efforts from all of those guys tonight. The FIST. Yeh, team work. GoDuke!

With Kennard, Tatum, Allen, Jackson, Jefferson, and Giles, that only works if you're Antonio Alfonseca (Obscure baseball reference.)

devildeac
03-10-2017, 10:20 PM
I don't see Nate Britt's name? He should be under consideration!

Now that's damn funny. ;)

moonpie23
03-10-2017, 10:20 PM
i cannot tell you how buzzed i'm feeling......tarheel clients today, then wound up in a room and my son's basketball game with a tarheel. he and i were the only ones at the apex community center watching the game while our kids played ball....unc got off to a hot start and he immediately started huffing.....then on to the "allen is a punk", then "duke can't handle REAL athletes"...

he left when the score got tied...

devildeac
03-10-2017, 10:23 PM
Really, really tough choice but I'll go with Tatum and 24/7. No, Grayson with 5/6 3s. No, Luke with 10/10. No, Harry with 7/4/6 in 15 minutes! I'm so confused.

bluedev_92
03-10-2017, 10:27 PM
Wow. What a game. Grayson keeping us in it. Not just with threes - driving, dishing... Tatum with such athleticism any silky moves. Harry - what a game!! Critical rebounds, hustle & tremendous dunk. So happy to see him having fun out there and doing well. Luke, a magnificent, and not unexpected second-half.

That was so much fun to watch. Gave it to Grayson b/c the deficit in the first half may have been too large without his performance, as well as his ability to just slay UNC.

JetpackJesus
03-10-2017, 10:33 PM

Poor Justin Jackson.

moonpie23
03-10-2017, 10:33 PM
tough....but i went with harry....

DangerDevil
03-10-2017, 10:34 PM
Would give old roy 2nd place behind Grayson for leaving Berry in to get his 4th foul. GoDuke!

Agreed, I know Roy likes to hold onto his timeouts but I thought that was particularly kind of him to wait a long time to finally call a timeout in the middle of the second half to finally stop our momentum.

Without Grayson scoring in the first half it could have gotten out of hand for us.

Dr. Rosenrosen
03-10-2017, 10:35 PM
Several were truly deserving tonight but I'm giving it to Giles b/c his energy, blocks, rebounding, diving to the floor, etc., helped put us over the top late in the second half. Way to bring it big fella!!!

DukeFanSince1990
03-10-2017, 10:49 PM

Poor Justin Jackson.

Cant wait for Justin Jackson to win tournament MVP.......:rolleyes:

jv001
03-10-2017, 11:01 PM
18 points in 30 minutes..5-6 on 3s..5 assists and 2 TOs. He seems back to the real Grayson Allen. GoDuke!

devildeac
03-10-2017, 11:02 PM

Poor Justin Jackson.

16 points. 22 shots. ACC POY.

SMH.

Thank you, Matt.

killerleft
03-10-2017, 11:07 PM
Sometimes the MOTM isn't the guy who scores the most points, or gets the most rebounds. Harry Giles gave us everything he had, and it turns out he's got plenty. His race is starting to become verrrrry interesting.

The GOAT's duel with the goat was no contest. Coach K was golden tonight.

LasVegas
03-10-2017, 11:36 PM
I'll give the edge to Grayson. Great to see him back into attack mode. Every team needs a player that stirs the drink and grayson was my grandma's big wooden spoon tonight

elvis14
03-11-2017, 12:12 AM
GA was the MOTM. He made the whole team go and he played defense against JJackson a good bit too. But there are lots of guys I'm happy with right now like Harry Freaking Giles!

Newton_14
03-11-2017, 12:32 AM
Grayson for me. Kept us from getting blown out and buried in the first half, and then provided excellent PG play in the 2nd half while also hitting a dagger 3.

Also, and apparently this is very important to some, Grayson was the MOTM against a really top notch extremely well coached team which makes the achievement far more impressive than it would have been had the opponent not been so extremely well coached and top notch...

53n206
03-11-2017, 04:34 AM
3 of 8; 10 point total: about 2 rebounds and 2 assists in 24 min. These are Berry's stats. And Greenberg states that his 4th foul, forcing Roy to bench him was the reason for the Carolina loss. Was this clown watching the same game we were? He really has a tough time dealing with a Duke win. How come every loser coach gets a gig with ESPN?

Indoor66
03-11-2017, 08:24 AM
Grayson makes the whole show go!:cool:

azzefkram
03-11-2017, 08:54 AM
You could have picked anyone who played last night. I went with Giles. Given the year he's had, it was great to see him step up when we needed him.

davekay1971
03-11-2017, 08:59 AM
3 of 8; 10 point total: about 2 rebounds and 2 assists in 24 min. These are Berry's stats. And Greenberg states that his 4th foul, forcing Roy to bench him was the reason for the Carolina loss. Was this clown watching the same game we were? He really has a tough time dealing with a Duke win. How come every loser coach gets a gig with ESPN?

Is that where Matty Doh is these days? I miss that guy...

wsb3
03-11-2017, 09:20 AM
Grayson but there are others that are worthy & that is good for DUKE BBALL..

Still tingling a bit. My thoughts going into the game were maybe we play really well & have enough gas to hold off the Cheats at the end...but to be 13 down with 13+ & to have the energy to come back vs a well rested UNC team.. Didn't see it happening. Glad to wrong again.

Did Greenburg really say that Berry's 4th was not a foul..Did the man even watch the replay? Notice the path of the dribble after Jones wrist is slapped ... I will never use officiating as an excuse for losing.. but that was some horrible officiating both ways..Reminded me of my 20 years as a City League Youth Coach..

CameronBornAndBred
03-11-2017, 09:26 AM
I'm abstaining from voting, and this quote from a Dana O'Neil article sums up why.

Unlike the win against Louisville, in which Allen's rebirth from a slump fueled the charge, this game was not won by a single player. It was won because Allen hit four 3s in the first half and Kennard scored 10 in the second. It was won because Jayson Tatum finished with 24 points but also seven rebounds. It was won because Frank Jackson nailed a 3 to give the Blue Devils the lead. It was won because Amile Jefferson endured the thankless task of dealing with Carolina's bigs all night and emerged the victor. And it was won because, in one frantic span of 83 seconds, Harry Giles scored on an alley-oop, dove for a loose ball and forced a turnover and pulled down a defensive rebound.

Great team effort last night!
http://www.espn.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/118182/this-is-the-duke-team-weve-been-waiting-to-see

superdave
03-11-2017, 02:01 PM
The last two MOTM have been toughh. Multiple players could have gotten it.

Had to go with Tatum, though. His dunk over Meeks sparked the Duke run after Berry went out and he was consistently good all game. But Allen was a close 2nd.

I thought Tatum's bad defense was the reason Carolina was up the whole first half. He was a step slow and his guy kept scoring. He played better in the second half, but the defensive effort was sub par to start.

MrPoon
03-11-2017, 02:17 PM
My vote was cast kind of the way the media votes for coach of the year. Not the actual best coach but the one who delivers a performance that beat expectations. K is unquestionably the better coach, but Pastner wins it.

For the same reason, GA was the most important player without a doubt in my mind. But I picked Giles. I think the team knows what a special talent he is and when he gives a performance that flashes of the brilliance the team knows he has, they seem to respond like a bolt of lightning hits them all.

But this was a spectacular team win. Jefferson has to be exhausted and sore but kept coming. Tatum was key at many points and I think he and Luke wear down defenders in a way that is subtle but piles up and by the final 10 min, the defenders have very little left. Jones goes after Jackson in these games like there is something personal and the results is further evidence at how bad the POY vote was.

Devilwin
03-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Voted Grayson, he kept us in early, then pointed at the booing UNC fans and did a double fist pump at them.. So priceless! But it's good to have so many good ones to choose from.