PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone else fascinated by the Grayson Allen shoe cam?

scottdude8
03-09-2017, 10:42 PM
I still can't quite believe that ESPN went to a split screen to show Grayson having trouble untying a double knot in his shoe early in the second half. In the middle of a very close game in the ACC Tournament between two storied programs, half the screen was taken up by GRAYSON ALLEN'S SHOE.

Where does this rank in the insanity that has been ESPN's coverage of Duke this year?

P.S The thread title was sarcastic if that wasn't apparent.

sagegrouse
03-09-2017, 10:44 PM
I still can't quite believe that ESPN went to a split screen to show Grayson having trouble untying a double knot in his shoe early in the second half. In the middle of a very close game in the ACC Tournament between two storied programs, half the screen was taken up by GRAYSON ALLEN'S SHOE.

Where does this rank in the insanity that has been ESPN's coverage of Duke this year?

Is ESPN gonna miss this dude, or what?

scottdude8
03-09-2017, 10:49 PM
Is ESPN gonna miss this dude, or what?

Obviously I want Grayson back for another year regardless, but it would be all the sweeter just to watch ESPN go entirely off the deep end...

MaxAMillion
03-09-2017, 10:56 PM

I believe it...ESPN chases ratings. Allen is the villain that people want to watch and hate. It is sad that a college player gets this unnecessary focus, but the powers that be at ESPN don't care. That is why I stopped watching that network years ago when a game is not on I want to see.

BD80
03-09-2017, 11:00 PM

ESPN is ready for the next tripping incident, they have multiple cameras focused on each foot, even when he on the bench.

sagegrouse
03-09-2017, 11:07 PM
ESPN is ready for the next tripping incident, they have multiple cameras focused on each foot, even when he on the bench.
This is so funny, I thought it was from Brevity -- you're in good company.

DangerDevil
03-09-2017, 11:07 PM

Well in ESPN's defense one episode of GraysonGate did happen on sidelines; the "shove" that was so egregious that the FSU assistant had to come to Grayson's defense so the worldwide leader has to be ready for whatever Grayson's next despicable act is. 😀

oldnavy
03-10-2017, 09:49 AM

Well, its hard to say given the overwhelming number of ridiculous camera angles (ceiling/roof camera, really??), celebrity fan cams, coach cams, attractive player's mother cams, player who just made a basket running back down the court as UNC runs a fast break cams, Ian Rappaport NFL F/A update cams, the "next" big thing coming on ESPN cams....

I could do this all day....

But the shoe untying cam is way up there!

Matches
03-10-2017, 09:51 AM
The best part was when BOTH halves of the split screen were Grayson's shoe. Even the ESPN announcers were all "uh... why are we showing this?"

oldnavy
03-10-2017, 10:03 AM
The best part was when BOTH halves of the split screen were Grayson's shoe. Even the ESPN announcers were all "uh... why are we showing this?"

There is a very simple answer for that question... the producers (or whoever decides what is shown) are not sports fans, they are entertainment "artist" and think that the game/event has to be "enhanced" to be entertaining... at least that is what I think the issue is...

Matches
03-10-2017, 10:06 AM
There is a very simple answer for that question... the producers (or whoever decides what is shown) are not sports fans, they are entertainment "artist" and think that the game/event has to be "enhanced" to be entertaining... at least that is what I think the issue is...

Haha yea I often am watching basketball and think "This is dull - I wish they'd show someone trying to get a knot out of his shoestrings!" :)

Indoor66
03-10-2017, 10:11 AM
Haha yea I often am watching basketball and think "This is dull - I wish they'd show someone trying to get a knot out of his shoestrings!" :)

That's funny. I had the exact same reaction.

Then I thought about the fact that John Wooden, on the first day of practice each year, taught his players how to double knot their shoe laces so that they would not untie during a game.

At that point I felt fulfilled and ready for some political wisdom from a sports reporter.

What an overwhelming experience. :mad:

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 10:17 AM

Odd you would crave that shot, but to each his own.

Me, I long for the shot from 20 ft off the baseline corner from an angle 6 inches off the floor. Now that's art!

You can tell a game is going on framed by the fans and stands. And it usually comes with a shot of the referree's legs that block a view of at least two of the players

The curvature of the earth might even conceal two players on the opposite side of the court.

Throw in a liberal dash of school colors in the stands and you have real art!

grad_devil
03-10-2017, 10:19 AM
Odd you would crave that shot, but to each his own.

Me, I long for the shot from 20 ft off the baseline corner from an angle 6 inches off the floor. Now that's art!

You can tell a game is going on framed by the fans and stands. And it usually comes with a shot of the referree's legs that block a view of at least two of the players

The curvature of the earth might even conceal two players on the opposite side of the court.

Throw in a liberal dash of school colors in the stands and you have real art!

Sorry, the Earth is flat. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2017, 10:20 AM
I thought it was funny, especially when Grayson had to hand off the shoe to Nolan. We've all been there: knots that are just too hard to undo. Pretty funny stuff.

I don't think this is out of the ordinary for ESPN: they take an interesting character and focus on what he's doing. If it turns out to be unexpected - like a challenging knot - they'll run with it. Got no problem with that.

I do have a problem with continuously throwing an amateur athlete who is only 20 years old under the bus, time and time again. For that, I hope Dana O'Neil, Jay Williams, and Seth Greenberg all lose their jobs in this next round of ESPN cuts.

dukebluesincebirth
03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
I often text my dad during the games. We were both down on the boys and being negative at the time and I texted my dad, "and Grayson can't even get his shoes tied!" Sometimes I look back on our text thread an hour or so after the game and realize how absurd the comments are:rolleyes:

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Sorry, the Earth is flat. You know it. I know it. Everybody knows it.

I thought we had a better educated crowd out here.

It's only flay at the top and bottom. That's why Sarah Palin is able to see Russia from her back porch.

Meybe you got you undergrad somewhere else, and only came to Duke for Grad school? You may have missed some of the foundational stuff.

BTW, don't be fooled by the "Flat top earthers" who claim ONLY the top is flat. That's not true. We know the bottom is also flat, because otherwise the earth would tip over.

Then the bottom would be the side, and the ceiling would be the wall...

niveklaen
03-10-2017, 10:34 AM
Well, its hard to say given the overwhelming number of ridiculous camera angles (ceiling/roof camera, really??), celebrity fan cams, coach cams, attractive player's mother cams, player who just made a basket running back down the court as UNC runs a fast break cams, Ian Rappaport NFL F/A update cams, the "next" big thing coming on ESPN cams...

I could do this all day...

Do not get rid of the attractive player's mother cam!

MPandolfi
03-10-2017, 10:35 AM
So what if it's a three-point game.

Matches
03-10-2017, 10:40 AM
Y'know on second thought I'd still rather watch that than Lunardi.....

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 10:42 AM
Y'know on second thought I'd still rather watch that than Lunardi....

Or whoever the guy was with the "bombshell" NFL news was. That was soooooooo annoying in the middle of the game. And the split screen sure wasn't needed.

Matches
03-10-2017, 10:50 AM
Or whoever the guy was with the "bombshell" NFL news was. That was soooooooo annoying in the middle of the game. And the split screen sure wasn't needed.

Yes!!! There is no such thing as "bombshell" news about Brock Osweiler. Words mean things, people!

oldnavy
03-10-2017, 10:53 AM

That was on my list... Ian Rappaport NFL Free Agency Update cam....

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 11:01 AM
Yes!!! There is no such thing as "bombshell" news about Brock Osweiler. Words mean things, people!

I'm quite certain I'd never even previously heard the name Brock Osweiller. By definition, then agreed, there is no news about him that can be considered bombshell.

I kept thinking STFU, get off my screen! Why are we talking about the NFL in march? This is the ACC tourney baby!

That's part of a tradition that's gone...sorta. Watching the ACC tourney on ESPN? I tuned out the ACC feed because Tim Brando and G-Man were really disappointing with how they went on about Grayson's technical foul the day before.

I miss the Jefferson-Pilot Raycom days with the Food Lion commercials by the Terry Holland look-alike!

oldnavy
03-10-2017, 11:10 AM
I'm quite certain I'd never even previously heard the name Brock Osweiller. By definition, then agreed, there is no news about him that can be considered bombshell.

I kept thinking STFU, get off my screen! Why are we talking about the NFL in march? This is the ACC tourney baby!

That's part of a tradition that's gone...sorta. Watching the ACC tourney on ESPN? I tuned out the ACC feed because Tim Brando and G-Man were really disappointing with how they went on about Grayson's technical foul the day before.

I miss the Jefferson-Pilot Raycom days with the Food Lion commercials by the Terry Holland look-alike!

My apologies to the grammar and name police, it's Ian Rapoport... not Rapaport who does the fascinating NFL live updates during the BB games...

brlftz
03-10-2017, 12:32 PM
Omg these split screens are so annoying! I pay all of this extra money to have a large screen tv just so espn can turn it into two small TVs, one of which is showing something I couldn't care less about. And then as someone else mentioned, there's all these stupid angles that can only bring pleasure to those with purely an aesthetic interest. There's the "my head is on the floor under the hoop"-cam, the "I have terrible seats"-cam, and the "game is being played but let's look at a coach pick his nose or a bunch of people cheering"-cam. Is there anyone clamoring for this? Why do they make it so hard when all we want to do is watch the dang game?!?!

60sDukie
03-10-2017, 12:36 PM
I was more fascinated by the shoe cam than I was the NFL update. I think they missed their target audience on that one.

rocketeli
03-10-2017, 12:38 PM
Well, its hard to say given the overwhelming number of ridiculous camera angles (ceiling/roof camera, really??), celebrity fan cams, coach cams, attractive player's mother cams, player who just made a basket running back down the court as UNC runs a fast break cams, Ian Rappaport NFL F/A update cams, the "next" big thing coming on ESPN cams...

I could do this all day...

In fairness attractive players also sometimes have good looking moms. Obviously I missed a whole lot by watching the ACC feed on my computer with the sound off (at work--but I never turn the sound on anymore--makes the games so much better.)

KnightDevil
03-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Do not get rid of the attractive player's mother cam!

Or the player's attractive mother cam!

budwom
03-10-2017, 12:43 PM
yeah, Shoe Cam seemed inane until they thrust Adam Schefter (?) at us babbling incoherently about the NFL which doesn't have any games for six months...

weezie
03-10-2017, 01:17 PM

I like to think I'd have been a candidate for my son's 5th grade rec center team. Plus I was a coach, so that would have been double duty. :cool:
I like to think a lot of things...:)

flyingdutchdevil
03-10-2017, 01:18 PM

It's officially called the Sonya Curry Cam.

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 01:21 PM
yeah, Shoe Cam seemed inane until they thrust Adam Schefter (?) at us babbling incoherently about the NFL which doesn't have any games for six months...

It was fascinating to hear the announcer try to make something important of the shoe cam by saying something like: "This could be really big if Jackson picks up his 4th foul and Grayson isn't ready to go in." Basically referring to that fact that Grayson was at the scorer's table waiting to get in when Frank licked up his 3rd in the first half.

westwall
03-10-2017, 01:40 PM

The players' attractive mothers cam.

oldnavy
03-10-2017, 01:45 PM

Well, I do think that cam was better than the 24+ years of the "Perky" Plumlee cam.... :rolleyes:

But, I don't want to see who is at the game, I want to see the game, the whole game and nothing but the game (when the ball is in play)...

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 01:47 PM
Well, I do think that cam was better than the 24+ years of the "Perky" Plumlee cam... :rolleyes:

But, I don't want to see who is at the game, I want to see the game, the whole game and nothing but the game (when the ball is in play)...

Actually, a split screen of the players' parents during free throws is sometimes entertaining to me. But it does get waaaay overplayed.

Rich
03-10-2017, 01:49 PM
So what if it's a three-point game.

On the other hand, if this was a close up of Luke's head/hair we'd really have something interesting to talk about!

Bob Green
03-10-2017, 01:55 PM
We've all been there: knots that are just too hard to undo. Pretty funny stuff.

I had a knot problem once that was so bad I ended up cutting my shoelace off with a pocket knife - alcohol was involved.

El_Diablo
03-10-2017, 01:56 PM
Omg these split screens are so annoying! I pay all of this extra money to have a large screen tv just so espn can turn it into two small TVs, one of which is showing something I couldn't care less about. And then as someone else mentioned, there's all these stupid angles that can only bring pleasure to those with purely an aesthetic interest. There's the "my head is on the floor under the hoop"-cam, the "I have terrible seats"-cam, and the "game is being played but let's look at a coach pick his nose or a bunch of people cheering"-cam. Is there anyone clamoring for this? Why do they make it so hard when all we want to do is watch the dang game?!?!

I mentioned it in chat but will plug for it here as well: the ESPN3 online viewing options for the ACC tournament include the normal ESPN feed and an "above the rim" feed. The latter has no weird cutaways (just the game action from the perspective of the baskets) and no talking head commentary (just shoes squeaking, players talking, background crowd noise, and PA announcer). It's also 20-30 seconds ahead of the normal ESPN feed.

Neals384
03-10-2017, 02:10 PM
I thought we had a better educated crowd out here.

It's only flay at the top and bottom. That's why Sarah Palin is able to see Russia from her back porch.

I do hope you realize it was Tine Fey, not Palin, who said that.

Neals384
03-10-2017, 02:13 PM
Since the topic is shoes, I hope it's OK to throw in a basic question here. I've noticed for some time that Duke players wear different color chose. Grayson - Blue; Jason - Black; Luke - White, and so on.

So, is there an official team shoe? Are the players expected / allowed to pick their own shoe model (and color)?

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 02:13 PM
I do hope you realize it was Tine Fey, not Palin, who said that.

Of course I realize that, but it's so much funnier to attribute it to Sarah.

Her actual quote was:

“They’re our next-door neighbors. And you can actually see Russia, from land, here in Alaska, from an island in Alaska.”

Doria
03-10-2017, 02:15 PM
On the other hand, if this was a close up of Luke's head/hair we'd really have something interesting to talk about!

But it's such a rare occurrence that anything happens with his hair, how can they be expected to pick it up? :rolleyes:

Danke Shane
03-10-2017, 02:23 PM
I mentioned it in chat but will plug for it here as well: the ESPN3 online viewing options for the ACC tournament include the normal ESPN feed and an "above the rim" feed. The latter has no weird cutaways (just the game action from the perspective of the baskets) and no talking head commentary (just shoes squeaking, players talking, background crowd noise, and PA announcer). It's also 20-30 seconds ahead of the normal ESPN feed.

I gave the 'above the rim' feed a whirl yesterday. I wish they'd tone down their floor mic's! They must be pointed right at the cheerleaders... In these big arena environments where the crowd noise is pretty subdued for the most part, the cheerleaders REALLY come through on the audio.

I could only take about 3 minutes of nonstop, piercing "D, D, D, DEFENSE. D, D, D, DEFENSE" before I had to pull the plug, which is unfortunate because I loved the idea of just atmosphere arena and game noises.

rsvman
03-10-2017, 02:25 PM

Wait, what?!? I thought the ceiling was the ROOF!

Now I'm really confused......

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 02:28 PM
Wait, what?!? I thought the ceiling was the ROOF!

Now I'm really confused...

Advanced Geography can do that. I probably shouldn't have introduced Grad Level concepts on this forum.

elvis14
03-10-2017, 02:32 PM
Since the topic is shoes, I hope it's OK to throw in a basic question here. I've noticed for some time that Duke players wear different color chose. Grayson - Blue; Jason - Black; Luke - White, and so on.

So, is there an official team shoe? Are the players expected / allowed to pick their own shoe model (and color)?

I noticed that GA was wearing a Kyrie Irving shoe. Nike and KI had to love GA-shoe cam!!!

Rich
03-10-2017, 02:41 PM

They can choose whatever shoe they want...as long as it's Nike!

MCFinARL
03-10-2017, 03:21 PM
I had a knot problem once that was so bad I ended up cutting my shoelace off with a pocket knife - alcohol was involved.

Glad to hear you properly sterilized your knife before performing shoelace surgery.

Indoor66
03-10-2017, 04:51 PM

McBob's mom was fine as well.n

-jk
03-10-2017, 06:17 PM
I thought we ... would tip over.

You drank too much at Duke, too?

-jk