PDA

View Full Version : Javin DeLaurier

Tappan Zee Devil
03-09-2017, 12:44 PM
Javin has played in 10 games according to the Duke stat page.
Now the way I understand the medical red shirt rules, if Duke plays 34 games, which is pretty much a certainty, he will be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt, providing the 10 games were in the first half of the season, which I believe is true.

Does anyone think that this might be the plan?

budwom
03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Now the way I understand the medical red shirt rules, if Duke plays 34 games, which is pretty much a certainty, he will be eligible to apply for a medical redshirt, providing the 10 games were in the first half of the season, which I believe is true.

if so, he'd better start limping.

yancem
03-09-2017, 01:26 PM

Pretty sure you have to have an injury or sickness to apply for a medical redshirt. That being said, I really wish that he and White had redshirted this season. If we aren't going to play them, we should have at least saved a year of eligibility. Seemed perfectly logical at the beginning of the season and then less so when Gile, Bolden and Tatum were hurt but they never really played meaningful minutes. I'm pretty hopeful that both will develop int good players down the road.

Troublemaker
03-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Javin played in Duke's 20th game of the season against NCSU, so Duke would have to play 40 games for this to even be possible.

But, as budwom alludes to above, the big thing is Javin has been a healthy scratch. He's not been injured as far as I know. At least nothing major of the season-ending variety.

Now, if you're suggesting we're going to pretend that he was injured in order to redshirt him, no, we're not going to do that.

jv001
03-09-2017, 01:29 PM

Spork-worthy but alas must spread some around. Glad I wasn't turning up drink when I read this. GoDuke!

CrazyNotCrazie
03-09-2017, 01:30 PM
Pretty sure you have to have an injury or sickness to apply for a medical redshirt. That being said, I really wish that he and White had redshirted this season. If we aren't going to play them, we should have at least saved a year of eligibility. Seemed perfectly logical at the beginning of the season and then less so when Gile, Bolden and Tatum were hurt but they never really played meaningful minutes. I'm pretty hopeful that both will develop int good players down the road.

I'm sure there are smarter minds working on this than mine, but I agree with you 100%, and I don't understand our strategy around redshirting. Last year Vrank appeared in 5 games for a total of 14 minutes, and I'm fairly sure those were all meaningless minutes. Similar for Javin and Jack this year. Why waste a redshirt year for that minimal contribution? Worst case after four years we encourage the player to move on for a post-grad year elsewhere if we need to free up a roster spot. Something to ponder further in mid-April when games are not upon us.

Tappan Zee Devil
03-09-2017, 01:37 PM
OK thanks

I thought he was out initially with an injury and was curious about this.

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm sure there are smarter minds working on this than mine, but I agree with you 100%, and I don't understand our strategy around redshirting. Last year Vrank appeared in 5 games for a total of 14 minutes, and I'm fairly sure those were all meaningless minutes. Similar for Javin and Jack this year. Why waste a redshirt year for that minimal contribution? Worst case after four years we encourage the player to move on for a post-grad year elsewhere if we need to free up a roster spot. Something to ponder further in mid-April when games are not upon us.

Maybe they don't want to redshirt?

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2017, 01:43 PM

WHAT?!?!?!?!!? Taking a players perspective into this? How dare you!

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 01:45 PM
WHAT?!?!?!?!!? Taking a players perspective into this? How dare you!

WHAT could I have been thinking? ...or drinking?

BigWayne
03-09-2017, 01:47 PM

Agreed. Not everybody is destined to make a living playing basketball. Maybe they want to be a part of a great basketball program while getting a great education before embarking on a successful career made possible by that education.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-09-2017, 01:48 PM

Other than not putting on a uniform for games, is there any difference between being a redshirt and not being a redshirt for players who are barely getting on the floor? I believe redshirts are allowed to travel to games, practice, etc.? So redshirting preserves their option value of sticking around for a fifth year and/or playing a fifth year elsewhere (and getting a free fifth year of education if that is of interest to them).

OZZIE4DUKE
03-09-2017, 01:53 PM
I'm pretty sure Javin came in to give a foul late in the game 4 or 5 games ago, which would eliminate a medical redshirt possibility. K did say something about Javin being injured in an interview earlier in the season.

Better questions, what's the real health status of Bolden and Jeter? We won't know the truth for a while yet....

LGD GTHc!

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 02:44 PM
Other than not putting on a uniform for games, is there any difference between being a redshirt and not being a redshirt for players who are barely getting on the floor? I believe redshirts are allowed to travel to games, practice, etc.? So redshirting preserves their option value of sticking around for a fifth year and/or playing a fifth year elsewhere (and getting a free fifth year of education if that is of interest to them).

Well one thing is one additional year of their life.

BD80
03-09-2017, 06:12 PM

Spork-worthy but alas must spread some around. ...

Excessive sporking can cause limping.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-09-2017, 06:42 PM
Well one thing is one additional year of their life.

Just because they redshirt doesn't mean they have to stick around for the fifth year (or even the third or fourth year) - they are free to leave whenever they want. But wouldn't it be nice to have the option to stay for a fifth year, or go to another school for a fifth year, and get a free year of grad school? I know plenty of students who would love that. And again, there is no commitment on the player's part - they can leave at any time.

cato
03-09-2017, 06:49 PM

Getting their names in the record books?

MCFinARL
03-09-2017, 09:29 PM
OK thanks

I thought he was out initially with an injury and was curious about this.

I think you are right--he was injured for a bit. But I think he has made at least a brief appearance since then in a game.

BandAlum83
03-10-2017, 12:55 AM

Or at a minimum, walking funny.

Ba-da-dum {cymbal crash}

ricks68
03-10-2017, 02:44 AM

If that were truly the case, then devildeac must surely be a cripple for life.:rolleyes: (And please don't start calling him either Shirley or Tiny Tim from now on. I believe that would be unfair to Leslie Nielsen or Herbert Buckingham Khaury.):p

I keed, I keed.

ricks

uh_no
03-10-2017, 02:59 AM
If that were truly the case, then devildeac must surely be a cripple for life.:rolleyes: (And please don't start calling him either Shirley or Tiny Tim from now on. I believe that would be unfair to Leslie Nielsen or Herbert Buckingham Khaury.):p

I keed, I keed.

ricks

crippled from too much sporking? That's a new kind of ailment, altogether!

Indoor66
03-10-2017, 08:41 AM

And I thought you went blind. :p

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-10-2017, 04:49 PM

"That's a new kind of ailment!"