PDA

View Full Version : MBB: Duke vs. Louisville (3/9, 2 pm, ESPN, ACC Net.) Pre-Game and In-Game Thread

Chard
03-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Well, here we are. Revenge against UL or another frustrating defensive performance? We shall see.

Watch online at ACC.com (http://www.theacc.com/?_escaped_fragment_=/videos) or WatchESPN. ESPN went out around start of second half in WNC area so watched the rest on local affiliate. Was better. :)

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 08:01 PM
Go Duke!!!

CDu
03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
Having Jefferson back will make a difference. Not playing in Louisville will make a difference. Having shaken the tourney jitters off and gotten comfortable on the neutral court will make a difference. I think we will win tomorrow!

Tripping William
03-08-2017, 08:07 PM
Having Jefferson back will make a difference. Not playing in Louisville will make a difference. Having shaken the tourney jitters off and gotten comfortable on the neutral court will make a difference. I think we will win tomorrow!

Having K will make a difference. I'm on board!

gam7
03-08-2017, 08:11 PM
Well, here we are. Revenge against UL or another frustrating defensive performance? We shall see.

Watch online at ACC.com (http://www.theacc.com/?_escaped_fragment_=/videos) or WatchESPN. ESPN went out around start of second half in WNC area so watched the rest on local affiliate. Was better. :)

This is a really important game - maybe the most important ACC quarterfinal game for Duke in the last 20 years. The first time around we were at their place. No Coach K. No Amile. Somehow we kept it within 10 points.

A win will go a long way for the team's confidence (or maybe just my confidence). It's another chance to get Grayson on track. It's likely the difference between an NCAA 4 seed and a 3 seed. Louisville is just tough and good. I am excited about this one and think we will pull it off (an oddly optimistic feeling for this usual pessimist).

moonpie23
03-08-2017, 08:15 PM
It's another chance to get Grayson on track. .

sorry. I think Grayson should sit....he just has nothing in the tank.....maybe, MAYBE, he gets the injury in check over the next week and can contribute, but i think he's a negative as is....

NashvilleDevil
03-08-2017, 08:20 PM
Duke needs to expect that the refs will not call anything and Louisville will be bumping them all game. I agree with those that Grayson may be better off sitting tomorrow. He is forcing things on offense and it is wrecking havoc on his game.

rsvman
03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Luke is going to have to be Luke in the first half, too. If Tatum can keep playing smart, and Jackson can keep being aggressive without turning the ball over, I like our chances.
We kept it close at their house without Jefferson and without K.

We also need to stay out of foul trouble.

Troublemaker
03-08-2017, 08:27 PM
This is a really important game - maybe the most important ACC quarterfinal game for Duke in the last 20 years. The first time around we were at their place. No Coach K. No Amile. Somehow we kept it within 10 points.

A win will go a long way for the team's confidence (or maybe just my confidence). It's another chance to get Grayson on track. It's likely the difference between an NCAA 4 seed and a 3 seed. Louisville is just tough and good. I am excited about this one and think we will pull it off (an oddly optimistic feeling for this usual pessimist).

Agreed, huge game. Besides being able to secure a 3 seed and probably also locking in the Greenville pod, it would probably also be our best win of the season. We've had several good wins this season -- home against UNC, at Notre Dame, at UVA -- but the added adversity here (0 days rest going against a well-rested Louisville team) and the revenge factor would make this a great win. I would love to have a great win under our belts heading into the NCAA tournament.

CoachJ10
03-08-2017, 08:29 PM
Duke needs to expect that the refs will not call anything and Louisville will be bumping them all game. I agree with those that Grayson may be better off sitting tomorrow. He is forcing things on offense and it is wrecking havoc on his game.

We need Grayson playing like Grayson to compete for a title. In my opinion, sitting on the bench isn't going to help achieve that. Seeing a few shots go in, on the other hand, could do wonders for his confidence.

Tripping William
03-08-2017, 08:31 PM

In hindsight, the 2013 quarters vs. Maryland was bigger. That loss put Duke in (eventual champion) Louisville's bracket. Best Maryland, and Duke likely notches another Final Four. 20/20 rear view mirror.

gam7
03-08-2017, 08:33 PM
sorry. I think Grayson should sit...he just has nothing in the tank....maybe, MAYBE, he gets the injury in check over the next week and can contribute, but i think he's a negative as is...

In the post-game, Coach K mentioned that one of his priorities is getting Grayson back on track - we'd be tough to guard (to put it mildly) with the four big-time scorers. My feeling is that Grayson's a negative...until he's not. I think he is the key to our post-season success.

As such, I think we need to keep turning the key until the engine roars to life. It's a stormy night. Coach K is Marty McFly. Grayson is the delorean. We've got a couple of minutes until the alarm clock sounds. Gotta keep turning the key and banging on the steering wheel until it clicks. That's the only way we are hitting 88 mph!

brevity
03-08-2017, 09:30 PM
As such, I think we need to keep turning the key until the engine roars to life. It's a stormy night. Coach K is Marty McFly. Grayson is the delorean. We've got a couple of minutes until the alarm clock sounds. Gotta keep turning the key and banging on the steering wheel until it clicks. That's the only way we are hitting 88 mph!

"Great Scott!" - Sean May
"Whoa, this is heavy." - Scott May

No one has pointed out the real difference between a Greensboro tournament and a Brooklyn tournament: how will Louisville spend their downtime? You could imagine hometown hero Slick Rick losing focus.

DukieInBrasil
03-08-2017, 09:34 PM
In the post-game, Coach K mentioned that one of his priorities is getting Grayson back on track - we'd be tough to guard (to put it mildly) with the four big-time scorers. My feeling is that Grayson's a negative...until he's not. I think he is the key to our post-season success.

sweet analogy. only it should be 88 ppg!

arnie
03-08-2017, 09:35 PM
Early betting lines: Louisville by 1-1.5.

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 09:44 PM
Agreed, huge game. Besides being able to secure a 3 seed and probably also locking in the Greenville pod, it would probably also be our best win of the season. We've had several good wins this season -- home against UNC, at Notre Dame, at UVA -- but the added adversity here (0 days rest going against a well-rested Louisville team) and the revenge factor would make this a great win. I would love to have a great win under our belts heading into the NCAA tournament.

Splitting with Louisville would be tremendous, especially since our loss to them occurred way back in January, was a road game, without Jefferson and without Coach K.

Take a look at this boxscore:

Billy Dat
03-08-2017, 09:45 PM

I kind of feel this way, too. The pessimist in me says a fresh Louisville hounding our guards all game will wear us down. The optimist says what CDu said. Since the big road win against Wake, we have been in so many tough, close games and I feel like we continue to get better. Bring it on!

Brockt10
03-08-2017, 09:48 PM
This is the most confusing Duke team I can remember. I understand injuries have played a big role but we should still be better. As much as I blamed the freshman/injuries earlier in the year; I blame our veterans now. Matt, as good defensively as he's been, just can't shoot this year. If he shoots his average from 3 from the last two years, we win a few more games.

Grayson is the biggest surprise. I love the kid and his enthusiasm but he just isn't bringing it. No player, who was the leader for preseason national player of the year, should have a game like this. Even with injuries, there is no excuse.

We saw our potential vs uvla and GT.

Let's get back to clicking, making shots, and win it all.

Fish80
03-08-2017, 09:48 PM
Grayson was on the verge versus Clemson today. He was moving well, seemingly focused. His second foul was questionable and the 3rd, the technical, was bogus.

We will see the real Grayson tomorrow versus Louisville.

God Bless America!

Go Duke!

CDu
03-08-2017, 09:49 PM
I kind of feel this way, too. The pessimist in me says a fresh Louisville hounding our guards all game will wear us down. The optimist says what CDu said. Since the big road win against Wake, we have been in so many tough, close games and I feel like we continue to get better. Bring it on!

The other thing is that all of our key regulatlrs are capable ballhandlers and passers. We are well-equipped to handle Louisville's pressure. Not saying we will do so, but we have the pieces.

The key will be on the other end. If Jones can lock down Mitchell, I think we stand a great chance.

CDu
03-08-2017, 09:54 PM
Grayson is the biggest surprise. I love the kid and his enthusiasm but he just isn't bringing it. No player, who was the leader for preseason national player of the year, should have a game like this. Even with injuries, there is no excuse.

Allen is injured. His ankle injury takes away his quickness and his lift. Those are critical to his game. He is doing his best but is hurt. It isn't a lame excuse; it is just reality. These kids aren't metronomes. Injuries affect performance. When he gets healthy, he will return to being awesome just like he was prior to his injury against Clemson.

dukelifer
03-08-2017, 09:59 PM
This is the most confusing Duke team I can remember. I understand injuries have played a big role but we should still be better. As much as I blamed the freshman/injuries earlier in the year; I blame our veterans now. Matt, as good defensively as he's been, just can't shoot this year. If he shoots his average from 3 from the last two years, we win a few more games.

Hmmm- injuries should not affect performance. Interesting take. Injuries are not an excuse- they are the reason.

moonpie23
03-08-2017, 10:02 PM
let me be clear....i'm not saying Grayson isn't trying...i know he's injured....that was my point. I don't think his "head is off"...i think he's just not physically able to be grayson allen...and that's the guy we need..

hopefully, he'll get rest, heal and ......the hemi fires up...

NashvilleDevil
03-08-2017, 10:08 PM

Yes there is an excuse. He rolled his ankle twice since the first UNC game...twice. He's pressing because he wants to help the team but his body is not responding because of the injuries.

Also tough to be better when injuries rob the team of practice time and K always says that is where the team building is done. And the ACC has been a bear this year. Injured or not Duke was going to be facing a gauntlet this year.

Duke won today and move on to the quarters maybe stop being negative and focus on the fact they are 1-0 in the post season.

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Splitting with Louisville would be tremendous, especially since our loss to them occurred way back in January, was a road game, without Jefferson and without Coach K.

Tatum has certainly emerged as a beast with much better decision making skills since then, and Frank........

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 10:16 PM
Grayson was on the verge versus Clemson today. He was moving well, seemingly focused. His second foul was questionable and the 3rd, the technical, was bogus.

God Bless America!

Go Duke!

Here, here!!! Bully! Capital comment!

In full agreement!

awhom111
03-08-2017, 10:27 PM
To add to the first post, here are the local stations carrying the ACC Network feed:
http://www.theacc.com/news/2017-acctourney-on-the-acc-network-game-9

There are multiple ways of getting the ACC website stream, including here:
http://www.theacc.com/game-center/57f3d00ce4b0dcabe018ef1b

gofurman
03-08-2017, 10:41 PM
Only concern I have tomorrow - this is big- is we are playing a very big physical team that likes to PRESS... And I thought we looked a little gassed today at the end of game one v Clemson. Clemson looked about as fresh as we did and they had played two games!

But I couldn't watch very closely I admit (had to watch it later and skimmed it). - **Did we looked a little gassed at end of today's game ?? ** someone who watched closely please reply ... if so, that Doesn't bode well for Louisville game. But w Grayson limited our thin bench just went from 7 to 6.5.

But I am ok w that strategy if it's becaus we are not playing Grayson too much (which we aren't ) in an effort to get him healthy for next week. If the team knows he has a chance to regain health given a week off or less than 20 minutes per game then I say go w that. ACCT is great but NCAA is more important to me. Just my .02

Of course it's an easy decision - to not play Allen much or at all - if he is ineffective like today. Then he only serves to buy minutes so no reason to push him

I have to think he isn't too far from being healthy bc they were two ankle rolls which usually a kid can shake off in a week or two. Usually. Though degree of variance is high and he sure doesn't look healthy right now - watch to see if most of his shots are short like he can't push off

Thanks in advance for the answer to the 'tired' question above. I couldn't watch much...

Kedsy
03-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Of course it's an easy decision - to not play Allen much or at all - if he is ineffective like today.

And yet, Coach K put Grayson back in the game at the end when it got close.

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 10:49 PM
Only concern I have tomorrow - this is big- is we are playing a very big physical team that likes to PRESS... And we looked a little gassed today at the end of game one v Clemson. Clemson looked about as fresh as we did and they had played two games!

It wasn't just me, several DBR posters thought we looked slightly gassed .. Doesn't bode well for Louisville game. But w Grayson limited our thin bench just went from 7 to 6.5.

But I am ok w that strategy if it's becaus we are not playing Grayson too much (which we aren't ) in an effort to get him healthy for next week. If the team knows he has a chance to regain health given a week off or less than 20 minutes per game then I say go w that. ACCT is great but NCAA is more important to me. Just my .02

Of course it's an easy decision - to not play Allen much or at all - if he is ineffective like today. Then he only serves to buy minutes so no reason to push him

I have to think he isn't too far from being healthy bc they were two ankle rolls which usually a kid can shake off in a week or two. Usually. Though degree of variance is high and he sure doesn't look healthy right now - watch to see if most of his shots are short like he can't push off

I don't think we looked gassed at all. A good team, with the season on the line, made a run. We made a couple of porr decisions, and they capitalized. Good teams do that.

I didn't see us getting beat down the court or grabbing our shorts bent over.

They took their shot and we recovered.

Take the win!

And BTW, I also don't see a hobbled Grayson. He appears pretty hoppy to me.

kAzE
03-08-2017, 10:53 PM
I like our chances in this one. We have the personnel to easily handle their full court pressure, and having a healthy Amile makes us SUCH a better team.

Last time we played them, Grayson led the team in points with 23 and played 36 minutes. Frank and Jayson went a combined 4-15 from the field, Chase Jeter played 17 minutes, and Amile & Coach K were both out with injuries. This is basically a completely different team.

Grayson is an X-factor at this point. I just have no idea what we're going to get from him. I thought he was looking healthier since the UNC game, but today's game was a head scratcher. If he plays well, I think we win this one.

BandAlum83
03-08-2017, 11:01 PM
I think we are well positioned to win this game. If we want to talk about concerns, here's mine:

I think back to a game against UL from last year. Their style of play is basically to play defense in a pestering, physical manner that generates so many whistles that the flow of the game gets completely destroyed.

It is easy to get completely out of rhythm, and it can often affect shooting.

The other thing that tends to happen is that eventually, the refs begin to get desensitized and numb to the endless fouling and begin to swallow their whistles for all but the most egregious fouls.

Watching games like that is so frustrating. I can only imagine how frustrating they are for the players.

Thankfully, we have VERY capable FT shooters that MAY force Pitino to back off this strategy a bit.

I hope so.

DavidBenAkiva
03-08-2017, 11:36 PM

18 turnovers. Yikes.

There are a ton of factors that I think point in Duke's favor. First off, the Vegas line is like 1.5 in Louisville's favor. The odds expect a close game. That's encouraging because I think the Duke fanbase almost expects a blowout at this point in time. They shouldn't.

First, Clemson is not going to the NCAA Tournament, but they appear to be a victim of their conference and poor play at the end of games. They had a ton of close games, losing almost all of them. But the advanced analytics liked Clemson a lot. They are in the top 50 of Kenpom (35), Sagarin (42), and ESPN's BPI (33). If those were poll numbers, they would be a definite tournament team. Beating them by 7 on a neutral court is an accomplishment. That's the caliber of team Duke might expect to see in the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.

When Duke last matched up with Louisville (actually, the last 3 times), they were playing without Amile Jefferson. That right there is a major factor. Louisville was able to exploit Harry Giles, Chase Jeter, and the Duke big men consistently in January. Anas Mahmoud and Magok Mathiang haven't had to face Amile Jefferson the past two years against the Blue Devils. I think they will find that scoring around the interior will be much more difficult than they remember. Mahmoud had a great game in January. While he averages 6 points and 4 rebounds on the season, he was the difference, really, where he put up 17 points and 11 rebounds while Mathiang was 3-3 from the field coming off the bench. Adding in Amile alongside Jayson Tatum will slow down those two.

Louisville is not the same team away from the KFC Yum! Center. They had an impressive win against Purdue in the early part of the season but have dropped pretty much every other game against an NCAA Tournament team away from home, including on a neutral court against Baylor, at Notre Dame, at Florida State, at UVA, at UNC and at Wake Forest last week. Is Louisville going to be the same team that Duke saw in Kentucky?

Duke has done pretty well on the second game of a back-to-back schedule before. In November, the Blue Devils had a so-so game against a feisty but overmatched Penn State team before making Rhode Island look mediocre the next night. After missing the mark in the first half, Luke Kennard was lights out in the second half of the game against Clemson. Can Duke surprise the Cardinals by showing them how comfortable they are in Barclays Center? It's not uncommon that the team playing the second game in two days looks more relaxed and acclimated to the environment.

Ultimately, I expect a close game, one that depends upon making key shots and defensive stops down the stretch of the second half.

OZ
03-08-2017, 11:52 PM
Allen is injured. His ankle injury takes away his quickness and his lift. Those are critical to his game. He is doing his best but is hurt. It isn't a lame excuse; it is just reality. These kids aren't metronomes. Injuries affect performance. When he gets healthy, he will return to being awesome just like he was prior to his injury against Clemson.

...and those minutes Allen gives us are extremely important to this team. We have no one else to substitute at the guard spot. His time on the floor is of extra importance tomorrow, as we are going against a good team that is rested.

sagegrouse
03-09-2017, 12:06 AM
...and those minutes Allen gives us are extremely important to this team. We have no one else to substitute at the guard spot. His time on the floor is of extra importance tomorrow, as we are going against a good team that is rested.

Very hard to be an effective offensive performer off the bench. Instant offense doesn't happen often. I would like K to start Grayson and substitute liberally with Frank because Grayson can be incredibly effective, but won't be when his minutes are so tightly rationed.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'Yeah, I know. He got to sit a lot today because of the technical foul and total accumulation of fouls (three in the first half)'

gofurman
03-09-2017, 12:09 AM
18 turnovers. Yikes.

There are a ton of factors that I think point in Duke's favor. First off, the Vegas line is like 1.5 in Louisville's favor. The odds expect a close game. That's encouraging because I think the Duke fanbase almost expects a blowout at this point in time. They shouldn't.

First, Clemson is not going to the NCAA Tournament, but they appear to be a victim of their conference and poor play at the end of games. They had a ton of close games, losing almost all of them. But the advanced analytics liked Clemson a lot. They are in the top 50 of Kenpom (35), Sagarin (42), and ESPN's BPI (33). If those were poll numbers, they would be a definite tournament team. Beating them by 7 on a neutral court is an accomplishment. That's the caliber of team Duke might expect to see in the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.

When Duke last matched up with Louisville (actually, the last 3 times), they were playing without Amile Jefferson. That right there is a major factor. Louisville was able to exploit Harry Giles, Chase Jeter, and the Duke big men consistently in January. Anas Mahmoud and Magok Mathiang haven't had to face Amile Jefferson the past two years against the Blue Devils. I think they will find that scoring around the interior will be much more difficult than they remember. Mahmoud had a great game in January. While he averages 6 points and 4 rebounds on the season, he was the difference, really, where he put up 17 points and 11 rebounds while Mathiang was 3-3 from the field coming off the bench. Adding in Amile alongside Jayson Tatum will slow down those two.

Louisville is not the same team away from the KFC Yum! Center. They had an impressive win against Purdue in the early part of the season but have dropped pretty much every other game against an NCAA Tournament team away from home, including on a neutral court against Baylor, at Notre Dame, at Florida State, at UVA, at UNC and at Wake Forest last week. Is Louisville going to be the same team that Duke saw in Kentucky?

Duke has done pretty well on the second game of a back-to-back schedule before. In November, the Blue Devils had a so-so game against a feisty but overmatched Penn State team before making Rhode Island look mediocre the next night. After missing the mark in the first half, Luke Kennard was lights out in the second half of the game against Clemson. Can Duke surprise the Cardinals by showing them how comfortable they are in Barclays Center? It's not uncommon that the team playing the second game in two days looks more relaxed and acclimated to the environment.

Ultimately, I expect a close game, one that depends upon making key shots and defensive stops down the stretch of the second half.

Mahmoud indeed had a great game. But It wasn't so much that Mahmoud was awesome... He didn't exactly make in-the-paint moves for all those points. He was the beneficiary of dribble penetration passes and bad PNR D. I agree amile will help with the PNR D. he can't stop the dribble penetration however.

Hopefully our guards can stay in front of theirs. Mitchell and the other guy (name escapes me) are strong guards. But yes, just having Amiles D presence should limit Louisville to less interior points than last time

I looked at that old box score. I see it both ways. Mostly in our favor but a little in theirs. We were at Louisville. No Amile. no K. And Tatum and esp Jackson weren't playing as wel. But we did have Jeter to spell minutes. Not sure he is Aviailable now. And Grayson had a good game. And Giles gave us some minutes without fouling. Now he seems to foul every minute.

But just having Amile and K is huge

Saratoga2
03-09-2017, 08:08 AM

Pitino is not stupid. Clearly the path that favors Louisville is to hound our team as you put it. We have just played a tough game, they are fresh and know that our rotation is extremely short. Pitino can hound us and it is bound to take its toll, while his risk is to tire his team for the games going forward. This will be a tough one for Duke. Can Grayson give us good minutes? Hard to imagine he is ready for that role. Can Harry and Marques give some support inside? Again, not much indication that we can rely on that help.

I will be satisfied if the guys play hard, no matter the outcome.

sagegrouse
03-09-2017, 09:29 AM
Pitino is not stupid. Clearly the path that favors Louisville is to hound our team as you put it. We have just played a tough game, they are fresh and know that our rotation is extremely short. Pitino can hound us and it is bound to take its toll, while his risk is to tire his team for the games going forward. This will be a tough one for Duke. Can Grayson give us good minutes? Hard to imagine he is ready for that role. Can Harry and Marques give some support inside? Again, not much indication that we can rely on that help.

I will be satisfied if the guys play hard, no matter the outcome.

"...[O]ur rotation is extremely short." This is different from having few capable players on the bench, and it is a self-inflicted wound. We should go ten-deep today and live with the consequences. I would also, as I said above, try to feature Grayson in the offense, in order to encourage his offensive production.

DukeDevilDeb
03-09-2017, 09:34 AM

God Bless America!

Go Duke!

Grayson is doing more to drive his fellow players and coaches crazy than any player I've watched over the last 30 years. The technical in the UNC game was flat out ridiculous. And yesterday? What high level college player who has had the world's eyes turned on him because of PREVIOUS bad behavior doesn't understand that he needs to stay within the lines of acceptable behavior?

Maybe Grayson should have gone last year. But something is going on here that is just inexplicable. Look at his face and body language after the foul yesterday (and then after the technical) and look at him on the bench a little later... smiling, happy cheering his buddies. This is Jeckel and Hyde behavior. And his line from yesterday, injured or not:

0-4 shooting
0-2 from 3
0-0 did not shoot a free throw
1 0 1 one rebound
3 personal fouls (including the technical)
0 points
1 assist (wasn't he team leader in assists?)
12 all in 12 minutes!

And whoever was complaining about Matt, yes he has been in a shooting slump. But yesterday he had 6 points, was 2 for 2 from the free throw line, had 3 steals and made multiple great defensive plays.

Who is making the biggest contribution and who is causing the biggest distraction?

I still want to know what he was on the verge of yesterday? Causing his coaches, teammates and fans to have nervous breakdowns? ARGH!!!!!!!!!!

GO DEVILS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChillinDuke
03-09-2017, 09:38 AM
<snip>

That's the caliber of team Duke might expect to see in the 1st and 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.

<snip>

Not nitpicking, just keeping the conversation honest around here...

Duke probably locked up at worst a #4 seed yesterday. A #4 would play a #13 in the 1st round of the NCAAT. That is not the caliber of team Clemson is.

Last year's 13 seeds were #60 Hawaii, #83 UNCW, #94 Stony Brook, and #104 Iona.

Clemson is currently ranked #35 KenPom and, further, plays in the ACC.

As for 2nd round opponents, your point is better taken. Although even then, Clemson is probably worse than a hypothetical #5. Were they to make the NCAAT (despite their record), KenPom's ranking has them in the ~7-10 seed range.

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2017, 09:46 AM
And yet, Coach K put Grayson back in the game at the end when it got close.

Was this because of FTs or close-out line-up?

CDu
03-09-2017, 09:49 AM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it was due to FTs.

dukelifer
03-09-2017, 10:11 AM
"...[O]ur rotation is extremely short." This is different from having few capable players on the bench, and it is a self-inflicted wound. We should go ten-deep today and live with the consequences. I would also, as I said above, try to feature Grayson in the offense, in order to encourage his offensive production.

Duke needs more production from its bench. Need to get some more bodies in there and get them a few touches. The energy level of Bolden and Giles needs to be higher. One thing I liked about the now forgotten Jeter- is that he gave energy. Good teams need energy and hard play from their bench and Duke is not getting that.

rtnorthrup
03-09-2017, 10:17 AM

Yep, Frank had just short-armed two FTs and looked nervous doing so. I think Coach may have been worried that it would affect him if he had to go the line again.

kAzE
03-09-2017, 10:24 AM
Duke needs more production from its bench. Need to get some more bodies in there and get them a few touches. The energy level of Bolden and Giles needs to be higher. One thing I liked about the now forgotten Jeter- is that he gave energy. Good teams need energy and hard play from their bench and Duke is not getting that.

In his limited playing time this year, it seemed to me that Jeter had better awareness on defense than the 2 freshmen. He's not a very good offensive player yet, but he's almost always in the correct position on defense at least. He was leading the team in charges taken for a good while. I'm not sure who is leading at this point.

The freshmen are more talented, and have more athletic gifts, but there are so many basic things that they haven't picked up on. I've lost count of the number of times that Harry loses track of the ball. Here's the most common thing he does: He hedges on a P&R, and while recovering, he totally turns his head and body towards the guy he's running back to in the paint, the P&R ball handler sees this, drives in towards Harry's backside, and just basically uses Harry as a screen to get in the paint for an easy layup, because Harry doesn't even notice the ball coming.

I'm astounded that this extremely basic mistake hasn't been corrected yet. You must ALWAYS know where the ball is on defense.

CDu
03-09-2017, 10:35 AM
In his limited playing time this year, it seemed to me that Jeter had better awareness on defense than the 2 freshmen. He's not a very good offensive player yet, but he's almost always in the correct position on defense at least. He was leading the team in charges taken for a good while, I'm not sure who is leading at this point.

I've lost count of the number of times that Harry loses track of the ball. Here's the most common thing he does: He hedges on a P&R, and while recovering, he totally turns his head and body towards the guy he's running back to in the paint, the P&R ball handler sees this, drives in towards Harry's backside, and just basically uses Harry as a screen to get in the paint for an easy layup, because Harry doesn't even notice the ball coming.

I'm astounded that this extremely basic mistake hasn't been corrected yet. You must ALWAYS know where the ball is on defense.

Jefferson does this also. It is the only way you can recover to your man quickly. If you are looking back at the ball while trying to run the other way, you are going to slow down and/or run into someone or worse. The only way to recover to your man quickly is to turn your head and hustle back.

What Jefferson does is sprint quickly back to his man with his hands up in the air.

What Giles is apparently doing wrong is not the act of turning his back to the ball. It is either giving up on the hedge too quickly or not sprinting back to the paint quickly enough after stopping the hedge (or both).

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2017, 10:38 AM
Jefferson does this also. It is the only way you can recover to your man quickly. If you are looking back at the ball while trying to run the other way, you are going to slow down and/or run into someone or worse. The only way to recover to your man quickly is to turn your head and hustle back.

What Jefferson does is sprint quickly back to his man with his hands up in the air.

What Giles is apparently doing wrong is not the act of turning his back to the ball. It is either giving up on the hedge too quickly or not sprinting back to the paint quickly enough after stopping the hedge (or both).

Yup. And when this happens, one of two things always happens: 1) the opposing player gets the ball and scores or 2) Giles fouls the opposing big man knowing that he's late to recover. Sometimes, both happens.

elvis14
03-09-2017, 11:05 AM
Duke needs to expect that the refs will not call anything and Louisville will be bumping them all game.

Whenever we play L'ville the first question I have to ask myself is how many minutes into the game we get before I'm ready to throw something at the TV because of uncalled fouls. The double standard that L'ville (and UVa) get where they are allowed to be physical and we are called for cheap fouls drives me a bit nuts. It's one of the things that makes beating them so sweet.

We need Grayson playing like Grayson to compete for a title. In my opinion, sitting on the bench isn't going to help achieve that. Seeing a few shots go in, on the other hand, could do wonders for his confidence.

I'm of the opinion that we need Grayson to give us what he's got and hope he doesn't injure himself again. I agree with sagegrouse, I'd start him and liberally sub in Frank (get them both going).

I really want to win this game and agree with others that it could be rather important.

kAzE
03-09-2017, 11:27 AM
I'm of the opinion that we need Grayson to give us what he's got and hope he doesn't injure himself again. I agree with sagegrouse, I'd start him and liberally sub in Frank (get them both going).

I really want to win this game and agree with others that it could be rather important.

We all want Grayson to get his rhythym back, but Frank has been playing out of his mind. There's no plausible reason to bench him in favor of Grayson. Besides, Grayson knows how to come off the bench and win big games. He's done it before.

CDu
03-09-2017, 11:33 AM
We all want Grayson to get his rhythym back, but Frank has been playing out of his mind. There's no plausible reason to bench him in favor of Grayson. Besides, Grayson knows how to come off the bench and win big games. He's done it before.

Yeah, Jackson has responded REALLY well to moving into the starting lineup. I wouldn't want to mess with that. Allen is a veteran and has produced off the bench before.

There are ways to get Allen going while still having him coming off the bench. But I wouldn't want to mess with Jackson's confidence right now, because he has it going.

Lunchab1es
03-09-2017, 11:36 AM
Before reading through this thread, I was feeling a bit pessimistic about this game. The fatigue factor of playing physical Clemson yesterday, our inconsistent play, struggling Grayson and previous loss to UofL were making me pretty nervous. It's difficult to shake the image of Louisville pushing us around earlier in the season, but...

The more I've read, I'm envisioning a different narrative. In early games the announcers kept harping on how "tight" and "unforgiving" the rims were. Well Duke has a full day of practicing and adjusting to that (including at game speed) that Louisville does not. Louisville also struggles a but more away from the Yum! Center, so I'm hoping those two factors compound one another and really throw off their shooting today. Duke has its pre-tourny jitters out, and I expect us to start off laser focused. Not having Coach K was certainly a disadvantage for us last time, but his presence alone doesn't make up the points differential. Having Amile back is a huge boon. As DavidBenAkiva pointed out, some of Louisville's rotation big men looked like absolute studs against us. If they try the same game plan it's not going to work out nearly as well. Also I think mentally it will throw them off that we are inserting Amile into the lineup after they haven't played against him for the past 2 years. His presence may have a surprisingly strong effect on both ends of the floor. Giles had 7 points and 6 rebounds in 19 minutes during our last match up, and he's improved since then (even if his play is sporadic).

So even with Grayson's recent struggles, I'm feeling strangely confident that we see a strong performance by Duke today, with us winning by 7+ points.

BandAlum83
03-09-2017, 11:43 AM

He replaced Frank for an offensive inbound. Recall Frank had just missed 2 FTs.

kAzE
03-09-2017, 11:45 AM
Before reading through this thread, I was feeling a bit pessimistic about this game. The fatigue factor of playing physical Clemson yesterday, our inconsistent play, struggling Grayson and previous loss to UofL were making me pretty nervous. It's difficult to shake the image of Louisville pushing us around earlier in the season, but...

I actually think the team playing it's 2nd game in 2 days has the advantage in this situation. Louisville hasn't played in 4 days, just got off the plane to New York, and hasn't played a game at the Barclays Center yet (not familiar with the surroundings and the hard rims yet). I think our game yesterday will help us in this one. But having said that, if we win, the fatigue factor will probably be an issue for game 3 in 3 days . . .

He replaced Frank for an offensive inbound. Recall Frank had just missed 2 FTs.

I don't believe that's true, I thought Grayson was subbing in and out with Vrank at the end of the game.

TKG
03-09-2017, 12:07 PM
Wonder if Vrank gets some of the Giles/Bolden minutes? He is high energy and can, and will, bang with L'ville bigs.

cato
03-09-2017, 12:21 PM

Well, it did happen shortly after Jackson missed two free throws, handing the ball back to Clemson having squandered a possession with less than a minute to go. Correlation may not equal causation, but . . .

CDu
03-09-2017, 12:55 PM
I don't believe that's true, I thought Grayson was subbing in and out with Vrank at the end of the game.

No, Allen did indeed come in for Jackson. The five on the floor at the time (Tatum shooting free throws) were Jefferson, Tatum, Jones, Kennard, and Jackson. Allen came in, Jackson came out.

Vrankovic had earlier come in briefly for Jefferson.

Doria
03-09-2017, 01:12 PM
I know Giles hasn't played that well lately, but he's been engaged and eager to learn. Earlier in the season, he proved he was capable of giving us some big minutes at the end of games, without fouling. So I have to believe it's possible for him to do it at other times. Amile just cannot play all the minutes, especially of multiple games. I really hope Giles can remember what he did in the 2-5 excellent minutes he gave us at the end of a couple games (probably while Amile was out), and maybe even build on it.

flyingdutchdevil
03-09-2017, 01:17 PM
I know Giles hasn't played that well lately, but he's been engaged and eager to learn. Earlier in the season, he proved he was capable of giving us some big minutes at the end of games, without fouling. So I have to believe it's possible for him to do it at other times. Amile just cannot play all the minutes, especially of multiple games. I really hope Giles can remember what he did in the 2-5 excellent minutes he gave us at the end of a couple games (probably while Amile was out), and maybe even build on it.

Not putting you on the spot, but this is the argument that has been made for the last 8 or so weeks. Giles hasn't improved much, and that's due to injuries.

To expect him to improve to the point that he is a positive contributor is factless and relies solely on hope. I'm all for hope, just brace yourself for disappointment. These injuries aren't like Amile's ankle, Tatum's foot, or Grayson's ankle. They are so much worse and come with psychological barriers.

Doria
03-09-2017, 01:21 PM
Not putting you on the spot, but this is the argument that has been made for the last 8 or so weeks. Giles hasn't improved much, and that's due to injuries.

To expect him to improve to the point that he is a positive contributor is factless and relies solely on hope. I'm all for hope, just brace yourself for disappointment. These injuries aren't like Amile's ankle, Tatum's foot, or Grayson's ankle. They are so much worse and come with psychological barriers.

Totally agree with your second part, but I wasn't really saying that I wanted him to have some miraculous recovery as much as I wanted to see the player we've already seen earlier in the season. I mean, as I said, sure I'd like to get improvement on that player, but the bulk of my comment was based on the evidence from earlier season games.

Chard
03-09-2017, 01:40 PM
Wonder if Vrank gets some of the Giles/Bolden minutes? He is high energy and can, and will, bang with L'ville bigs.

I mentioned this yesterday and will here again. Vrank plays more like a center than any other player on Duke's roster.

The two-man game with Kennard jumps up a level when Vrank has been in. Same with Amile but Amile doesn't have the sheer size of Vrank. He's so big, has good leg strength and is in year 3(?) of the Duke system. Not sure why he isn't seen more if Giles & Bolden aren't producing.

devildeac
03-09-2017, 01:59 PM
We might start "on time," unless Miami wants to start fouling (more) and try to trade 2 unc FT for 0 hurricane FG. :rolleyes:

91devil
03-09-2017, 02:15 PM
Is it set up for today?

Edouble
03-09-2017, 02:17 PM
Yeah, Jackson has responded REALLY well to moving into the starting lineup. I wouldn't want to mess with that. Allen is a veteran and has produced off the bench before.

There are ways to get Allen going while still having him coming off the bench. But I wouldn't want to mess with Jackson's confidence right now, because he has it going.

Starting lineup is the same as yesterday: Frank, Luke, Matt, Jayson, Amile.

Troublemaker
03-09-2017, 02:27 PM
Is it set up for today?

Chat is open! http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/misc.php?do=cchatbox

Once again, not sure how many will be there

riverside6
03-09-2017, 02:36 PM
Live tempo-based stats for Duke/Louisville...

http://www.scacchoops.com/tbd-at-unc-basketball-live-stats-392017-12-pm

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 02:39 PM
Who was the last college bball player that was under the microscope as much as Allen has been this season?

InSpades
03-09-2017, 02:41 PM
At this rate those who want to see more of the bench will be very happy... 4 fouls in 4+ minutes. Won't have many players left by the end of the game! Hope you're ready Jack White!

subzero02
03-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Who was the last college bball player that was under the microscope as much as Allen has been this season?

Probably Redick...

Based on the chorus of boos when Allen entered the game, I think quite a few ewe in sea wholes stayed for our game.

PackMan97
03-09-2017, 02:44 PM
More fouls than points...not good. not good.

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 02:45 PM
PLEASE, shut up for one moment, Jay!😫

subzero02
03-09-2017, 02:51 PM
Giles looked very fluid and quick scoring that bucket in the post; great to see.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:02 PM
I hate the stupid new method of calling every single contact on a rebound a foul. Such a weak call. It's basketball. It's a physical sport. Let them play a little bit.

InSpades
03-09-2017, 03:07 PM
Louisville has 26 points and hasn't made a shot outside the key. I'm no basketball expert but... the key is the area closest to the rim. Maybe we should focus our defensive efforts there? They've proven they can make the layup... let's make them prove they can make another type of shot!

Hauerwas
03-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Make just one shot one time Matt. Please?

Pick and roll D is still allowing too many easy layups. though I feel like they've played perfect and are still only up by 4, which is a good sign maybe???

jipops
03-09-2017, 03:10 PM
I hate the stupid new method of calling every single contact on a rebound a foul. Such a weak call. It's basketball. It's a physical sport. Let them play a little bit.

Yea, this kind of stuff has almost ruined the watchability of college ball for me. Seems like EVERYTHING is a foul now. For the past couple years running now, if there is an nba game on at the same time as a college game, I'm opting for the nba game. Not saying nba doesn't have its own problems.

Hauerwas
Louisville is using the UVA model of defense. If we foul you EVERY SINGLE TIME down the court they eventually will just stop calling the fouls and let you get away with it. Dang is hand checking and bumping Kennard every touch and they still haven't called the foul.

DangerDevil
They've proven they can make the layup... let's make them prove they can make another type of shot!

This team has a hard time stopping dribble penetration and inside passing. It's not just this game.

Reddevil
03-09-2017, 03:16 PM

I don't remember Kermit Washington getting this much attention. I really don't. It was a big deal for a few days, then it was gone until Feinstein released The Punch decades later. That was the NBA in the 70's, but still, and there is no comparison in the level of transgression. I don't remember the hypersensitivity that we have to cope with today. PC and the 24 hour news cycle - what a combo.

WHOneedsSOX
Louisville has 26 points and hasn't made a shot outside the key. I'm no basketball expert but... the key is the area closest to the rim. Maybe we should focus our defensive efforts there? They've proven they can make the layup... let's make them prove they can make another type of shot!

Why not try a zone? Does Louisville have any really good shooters?

subzero02
Tatum is looking like a top 3 pick out there.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:17 PM
I don't remember Kermit Washington getting this much attention. I really don't. It was a big deal for a few days, then it was gone until Feinstein released The Punch decades later. That was the NBA in the 70's, but still, and there is no comparison in the level of transgression. I don't remember the hypersensitivity that we have to cope with today. PC and the 24 hour news cycle - what a combo.

Yeah, it's definitely a lot easier these days with Twitter/Instagram/Snapchat, etc. The whole world knows about it within a minute.

Indoor66
03-09-2017, 03:20 PM
Grayson is not dead.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Grayson is not dead.

Sure didn't look good his first rotation into the game. Much better the second time around.

DangerDevil
03-09-2017, 03:21 PM
Tatum is looking like a top 3 pick out there.

Tatum as a point forward, forget our lack of a true point guard!

Hauerwas
03-09-2017, 03:23 PM
We should really play zone second half and make them hit jumpers. They have 26 paint points. Make them make a jump shot K!

kAzE
03-09-2017, 03:24 PM
Tatum has been at a different level than anyone else in this game. He's ridiculous.

subzero02
03-09-2017, 03:25 PM
Our interior D is.... crop. I like our chances if we can knock down 3 to 4 threes in the second half. Tatum is a joy to watch on the break. His decision making has improved so much during the season...

InSpades
03-09-2017, 03:26 PM

We haven't played much zone all year and I'm not expecting it now...

It's just very frustrating seeing the other team make layup after layup against us. They've made 16 shots in the 1st half, 11 of them were layups. They are 1 of 10 on shots outside the key. 12 of 18 inside the key.

I think we just need to help more down low. The 1 time we double in the post we doubled from the other post! Which is exactly where the ball went...

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:29 PM

It's just very frustrating seeing the other team make layup after layup against us. They've made 16 shots in the 1st half, 11 of them were layups. They are 1 of 10 on shots outside the key. 12 of 18 inside the key.

I think we just need to help more down low. The 1 time we double in the post we doubled from the other post! Which is exactly where the ball went...

It's just so easy for opposing teams to score. Run a pick and roll. You'll get a layup 90% of the time. Meanwhile Duke struggles to score but can only because of Jackson, Kennard, and Tatum's great one-on-one skills. I see big trouble for Duke in the NCAA tournament. Any team with a solid big and/or a good PG is going to put up a huge challenge to Duke.

jv001
03-09-2017, 03:31 PM

Jeff Capel said they went to a bigger lineup and hope that will slow the layup line down. My words not Jeff's. As for a zone, Coach K will probably not go that route and we'd probably get killed on offensive rebounds. Just make a few more 3's this half and we should be fine. One other thing I noticed, Matt is not playing as many minutes, last night and the first half today. I guess Coach is trying to get more offense. GoDuke!

Matches
03-09-2017, 03:31 PM

We went zone very briefly against them in the previous game and they immediately hit a couple of 3s. Not sure if that was just us being bad at zone or they got lucky or what, but I suspect that's why we're not seeing that look today.

Edouble
03-09-2017, 03:38 PM
Tatum has been at a different level than anyone else in this game. He's ridiculous.

Yeah, I was just texting that to a friend. He is the best player on the floor.

Karl Beem
03-09-2017, 03:42 PM
Layup drill.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Waaaay too easy.

lifelongdevil
03-09-2017, 03:43 PM
Layup drill.

that zone is looking like a pretty good option right about now

InSpades
03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Layup drill.

4 guys closely covering their man w/out the ball while the man guarding the guy w/ the ball gets beat and they get a layup. This happens alarmingly often. If we put 5 guys in the key we would be more effective on defense.

subzero02
03-09-2017, 03:45 PM
The layup drill continues... we are getting torched in transition. Frank and Amile don't seem to be on the same page offensively. Kennard is having a game reminiscent of the Miami game... big athletic defenders suffocate his mid-range game. Hopefully we can get him some open looks at the 3.

Karl Beem
03-09-2017, 03:49 PM
Are we just getting out of their way?

Coballs
03-09-2017, 03:51 PM
Matador defense

subzero02
03-09-2017, 03:54 PM
The zone looks good so far... couldn't look worse than our man in halfcourt

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:54 PM
Allen looks really good today. If they could get some stops now.....

InSpades
03-09-2017, 03:55 PM
LOL. Zone.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I guess this is doing something different at least.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
24 points given up in 7 minutes.

OZ
03-09-2017, 03:57 PM
LOL. Zone.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

I guess this is doing something different at least.

Our defense looks as if when L'ville gets the ball, we yell, "Get out of their way!"

Hauerwas
03-09-2017, 03:58 PM
Louisville made Layup. Rinse and repeat.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2017, 04:00 PM
Why does this feel a little bit familiar?

gep
03-09-2017, 04:03 PM
I'm only looking at the box score... what's happening with Luke?

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 04:04 PM
I'm only looking at the box score... what's happening with Luke?

Just missed 3 3's in one possession. 2 of them wide open.

InSpades
03-09-2017, 04:11 PM
It's amazing what happens when you stop giving up layups on defense...

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 04:12 PM
It's amazing what happens when you stop giving up layups on defense...

Zone defense is working, who would've thought that.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 04:13 PM
So many missed FT's today.

LasVegas
03-09-2017, 04:14 PM
Grayson Allen should sit until the NCAA tournament. He is terrible right now.

Wait a sec, am I a day late to the party? I get so confused.

gep
03-09-2017, 04:19 PM
Again... only looking at the box score... what's happening with Amile?

mph
03-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Great to see Luke come alive offensively. We need to get stops for it to matter.

subzero02
03-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Regardless of the eventual outcome, this game has been important for our growth as a team... hopefully we utilize the zone at an earlier point in the game if we our getting blitzed by penetration.

kako
03-09-2017, 04:26 PM
Great to see Luke come alive offensively. We need to get stops for it to matter.

Kennard should have gone up with it. Make the shot or get the foul. It's his time to take over.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-09-2017, 04:27 PM
Man, if our boys could play with a little bit of a chip on their shoulder like they have in the last ten minutes, we wouldn't lose many games.

Rich
03-09-2017, 04:28 PM
Regardless of the eventual outcome, this game has been important for our growth as a team... hopefully we utilize the zone at an earlier point in the game if we our getting blitzed by penetration.

Donovan Mitchell out with 4 fouls helped our cause. He's their primary three point shooter and zone buster.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 04:33 PM
Now the refs decide to stop calling fouls when a guy is riding Kennard all the way to the rim?

curtis325
03-09-2017, 04:34 PM
That is some mighty fine free throw shooting by the Cards.

fan345678
03-09-2017, 04:35 PM

InSpades

Regardless of the outcome... you get my Board MVP. The zone has been a difference maker in the 2nd half. If nothing else it has confused Louisville.

kako
That is some mighty fine free throw shooting by the Cards.

Yup *MIGHTY* fine...

kako
03-09-2017, 04:40 PM
I can't believe that was their play off the Kennard FT! Someone had a brain freeze.

WHOneedsSOX
03-09-2017, 04:41 PM
Regardless of the outcome... you get my Board MVP. The zone has been a difference maker in the 2nd half. If nothing else it has confused Louisville.

haha it was just so obvious. 24 points in 7 minutes to start the half. 16 in the final 13. If anything, yeah it just gave them a different look. Making shots helped a lot too since Louisville couldn't just run out. I thought Bolden was really good in the few minutes he played. Strong interior defense and kept a couple possessions alive. Not good enough but it was something positive.

Luke and Allen were huge in the 2nd half. Tatum was good all game. Quiet game from Jefferson, not sure why he sat so long in the 2nd half.

Is this the first UNC-Duke matchup in the ACC tournament?

Hauerwas
03-09-2017, 04:42 PM
just wow. what a gutty win. wow.

eddiehaskell
03-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Wow I love Luke!!! I think he's better than JJ most of the time.

Tatum scares the CRAP out of me. He's good but darn it - it seems like he's VERY prone to making bone head plays late in games (careless dribbling, getting stripped, traveling, etc). I also feel like refs might call palming on him one day...late in a game.

duke4ever19
03-09-2017, 04:43 PM
Man, that was frickin' great.