PDA

View Full Version : Jayson Tatum Free Throw Shooting

DukeTrinity11
03-08-2017, 04:51 PM
After cheering on Parker, Winslow and Ingram...lets just say it's nice to have a Duke wing who is a stone cold killer at the charity stripe. :cool:

Tatum's FT shooting will be huge in the coming games for Duke because the opposition will naturally assume that he's a worse FT shooter than Kennard, Allen and Jackson because of the position he plays.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2017, 04:51 PM
Cool as a cucumber in the last minute.

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 04:54 PM
After cheering on Parker, Winslow and Ingram...lets just say it's nice to have a Duke wing who is a stone cold killer at the charity stripe. :cool:

Tatum's FT shooting will be huge in the coming games for Duke because the opposition will naturally assume that he's a worse FT shooter than Kennard, Allen and Jackson because of the position he plays.

Um, no.

Nobody playing Duke will be surprised that Tatum is a good free-throw shooter. They have access to his stats and game film.

gam7
03-08-2017, 04:57 PM
Um, no.

Nobody playing Duke will be surprised that Tatum is a good free-throw shooter. They have access to his stats and game film.

What we need is for him to tighten up that free throw defense.

DukeTrinity11
03-08-2017, 05:08 PM
Um, no.

I'm just saying that in the heat of the moment when a Duke opponent needs to foul, they"ll naturally gravitate towards the tall lanky guy rather than our guards, who are also excellent FT shooters and play a position where its known that the players are traditionally great foul shooters. Go Duke!

flyingdutchdevil
03-08-2017, 05:15 PM
This has to be true, right? And Tatum is 6'8".

Incredible. Absolutely incredible.

jwillfan
03-08-2017, 05:21 PM

shot 80% for a 4 year career. Last I checked he was over 6-8. Tatum so far in a single season has 87% So you may be right. But volume matters.

cato
03-08-2017, 05:26 PM

Perhaps? Just checked a few:

Laettner was a career 80.6% FT shooter.

Battier: 77.7%

Boozer: 74.1%

InSpades
03-08-2017, 05:27 PM

Closest are like Ferry, Laettner, Gminski. None ever shot 87% like Tatum is doing.

G-Man was 79%
Ferry was 78% but he had years of 82% and 83%.

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 05:29 PM
I'm just saying that in the heat of the moment when a Duke opponent needs to foul, they"ll naturally gravitate towards the tall lanky guy rather than our guards, who are also excellent FT shooters and play a position where its known that the players are traditionally great foul shooters. Go Duke!

Sorry, I just don't think it works that way.

The scouting report on Tatum has been out for a while and he's not sneaking up on anybody with his good free-throw percentage. I also don't think some "instinct" to "foul the tall lanky guy" kicks in and then they realize, to their dismay, that it's Jayson Tatum.

Usually, the ball is taken out, and our guys are trying to get open, knowing that the person who catches the ball first will be fouled immediately. Our opponent knows they are fouling Jayson Tatum and not, say, Amile Jefferson.

You will find that Jefferson is either not on the floor on that offensive possession, or trying not to be the guy who catches the ball to be fouled. K will often sub Jefferson in and out of the game depending if Duke is playing defense or offense.

COYS
03-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Sorry, I just don't think it works that way.

The scouting report on Tatum has been out for a while and he's not sneaking up on anybody with his good free-throw percentage. I also don't think some "instinct" to "foul the tall lanky guy" kicks in and then they realize, to their dismay, that it's Jayson Tatum.

Usually, the ball is taken out, and our guys are trying to get open, knowing that the person who catches the ball first will be fouled immediately. They know they are fouling Jayson Tatum and not Amile Jefferson. You will find that Jefferson is either not on the floor, or not trying to be the guy who catches the ball to be fouled.

To come to Duke Trinity's defense just a bit, I DO think that having Jayson as an excellent free throw shooter at the power forward spot makes it that much harder for the defense to force the ball into a poor free throw shooter's hands (such as Amile), which makes it possible to leave Amile on the court even in late game situations, if we have to. Jayson gets to use his quickness to his advantage on inbounds plays in the backcourt. And you can't cheat and put a quicker player on Jayson because that means leaving a post defender trying to deny the ball to Frank, Luke, Matt, and/or Grayson.

So while I think you're right that no team is going to confuse Jayson with Amile, Jayson's prowess from the line still helps open up our options in the backcourt when the other team is attempting to foul.

flyingdutchdevil
03-08-2017, 05:47 PM
To come to Duke Trinity's defense just a bit, I DO think that having Jayson as an excellent free throw shooter at the power forward spot makes it that much harder for the defense to force the ball into a poor free throw shooter's hands (such as Amile), which makes it possible to leave Amile on the court even in late game situations, if we have to. Jayson gets to use his quickness to his advantage on inbounds plays in the backcourt. And you can't cheat and put a quicker player on Jayson because that means leaving a post defender trying to deny the ball to Frank, Luke, Matt, and/or Grayson.

So while I think you're right that no team is going to confuse Jayson with Amile, Jayson's prowess from the line still helps open up our options in the backcourt when the other team is attempting to foul.

Could it be that Coach K is a good enough coach that he wants Tatum to have the ball in those situations? Tatum is long, fast for a 4, and has a solid handle. He is probably the most reliable player to pass the ball to from out-of-bounds. It helps immensely that he's the best FT shooter on the team.

This dude is gonna crush it in the NBA. He's gonna be a Celtic.

duke4ever19
03-08-2017, 05:58 PM

I agree with you and if DukeTrinity11 was making that point, I'd agree with him too. :)

sagegrouse
03-08-2017, 06:00 PM
Could it be that Coach K is a good enough coach that he wants Tatum to have the ball in those situations? Tatum is long, fast for a 4, and has a solid handle. He is probably the most reliable player to pass the ball to from out-of-bounds. It helps immensely that he's the best FT shooter on the team.

This dude is gonna crush it in the NBA. He's gonna be a Celtic.

Ahhh... what would we give to see him in a Duke uniform for four years?

El_Diablo
03-08-2017, 06:42 PM
Closest are like Ferry, Laettner, Gminski. None ever shot 87% like Tatum is doing.

G-Man was 79%
Ferry was 78% but he had years of 82% and 83%.

Chris Redding - 80.7%
Laettner - 80.56%
Alarie - 79.7%
Battier - 77.7%
Gminski - 79.18%
Ferry - 77.50%

Singler was just behind them at 77.3%.

Rich
03-08-2017, 07:00 PM
Are you kidding me? This thread is undoubtedly going to come back to haunt us. Talking up his free throw shooting is very bad mojo indeed. It's like when you're on the highway, driving peacefully with the flow of traffic, going 65 or 70 and your spouse says, "Wow, this is great, no traffic." And no sooner than 5 minutes later, WHAM, it's backed up for miles at a complete standstill. When we drive on the highways around NYC in NY, NJ, CT it is absolutely forbidden to say anything about the how surprisingly good the traffic is. This thread is the same. Keep talking about how great a FT shooter Tatum is and you will jinx him. At the most unfortunate time. With the game on the line. I swear. I've seen it happen. Please close this thread!

uh_no
03-08-2017, 08:04 PM
shot 80% for a 4 year career. Last I checked he was over 6-8. Tatum so far in a single season has 87% So you may be right. But volume matters.

RK shot .805 on the career and .812 as a senior.