PDA

View Full Version : Good Kennard SI mini-profile

Billy Dat
03-07-2017, 01:51 PM
http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2017/03/07/luke-kennard-duke-blue-devils-acc

dukefan_828
03-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Nice read, lets go LUKE!

niveklaen
03-07-2017, 03:08 PM
"He had cookouts with friends and swam in his Grandma Louise’s pool between games of corn hole in her backyard."

I am almost afraid to ask what a game of corn hole is...

devildeac
03-07-2017, 03:10 PM
"He had cookouts with friends and swam in his Grandma Louise’s pool between games of corn hole in her backyard."

I am almost afraid to ask what a game of corn hole is...

I hope they're talking about this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornhole

:o

TNDukeFan
03-07-2017, 03:10 PM

weezie
03-07-2017, 05:39 PM

Lends itself nicely to copious amounts of beer drinking and general verbal abuse. This family looks far too sober and encouraging.

duke4ever19
03-07-2017, 07:21 PM
Lends itself nicely to copious amounts of beer drinking and general verbal abuse. This family looks far too sober and encouraging.

It's seems like a safer equivalent of horseshoes (getting your ankle or shin clanked by a flying horseshoe is not fun.), but I don't know if the rules are the same.

JNort
03-07-2017, 08:00 PM
What? There are still people who don't know what corn hole is?!?!? It's literally at every tailgating party in every sport.

MartyClark
03-07-2017, 08:17 PM
Good article on one of my favorite all time Duke players and his family.

I have briefly met the Kennard family twice. The 1st time was in Colorado Springs at the Olympic Training Center when Luke (and Tyus, Justise, and Chase) were playing on the U.S. U19 team. I was with one of my good friends who is a basketball junkie and Louisville fan. I, incorrectly, told my buddy that Luke didn't look that good and he was probably a 4 year player for Duke. (I also underestimated the other Duke recruits).

My Louisville buddy and I ran into the Kennard family again this year at Louisville. My buddy made a point of telling Luke's parents that he knew Luke would be a star but I had underestimated Luke. Luke's parents, uncle and others were incredibly gracious. They seem like a really solid family.

Best wishes to Luke whatever he decides. If he goes to the NBA, and I wouldn't blame him, If he leaves, I hope he ends his Duke career in a blaze of glory.

Doria
03-07-2017, 08:19 PM
What? There are still people who don't know what corn hole is?!?!? It's literally at every tailgating party in every sport.

I have absolutely never heard of this whatsoever. I've seen and/or played numerous games like this, but never with that name (and the wikipedia article did mention a bunch of other names).

Anyhow, nice read about Luke. I think he's probably a more quirky person that he comes off as being. No evidence for this, but just a hunch. His family's always seemed really great, too. I like a guy who RT his mother's tweets about him, complete with childhood pics.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-08-2017, 09:18 AM
I have absolutely never heard of this whatsoever. I've seen and/or played numerous games like this, but never with that name (and the wikipedia article did mention a bunch of other names).

You clearly don't spend enough time in bars in the south with outdoor areas. Or, tailgating.

Go Duke! Go Luke!

DukieInBrasil
03-08-2017, 09:25 AM
You clearly don't spend enough time in bars in the south with outdoor areas. Or, tailgating.

Go Duke! Go Luke!

it's massively popular in Athens, GA, for example.

wk2109
03-09-2017, 11:23 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696575-the-real-luke-kennard-how-dukes-star-found-his-swag-in-time-for-march-madness?

Bluedog
03-09-2017, 11:29 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2696575-the-real-luke-kennard-how-dukes-star-found-his-swag-in-time-for-march-madness?

This article was also somehow on the front page of CNN yesterday as one of its top 5 sports stories with the headline [paraphrasing] "He broke all of LeBron's high school records, now is Duke's savior." A bit of a dramatic link title for my taste...but I hope he crushes it!

CDu
03-09-2017, 12:41 PM
When he was in Cincinnati, Carson Palmer used to host the Carson Palmer Cornhole Classic.

It also goes by the bag game, bags, bag toss, etc. Simple concept, very similar to shuffleboard. You have teams of two, one teammate on each side. You get four bags. You alternate tosses of the bags. Points are scored by landing a bag on the board (1 point) or putting the bag in the hole (3 points). Some people play all bags landing score, some play net scoring (for example, if I score 5 and you score 3, I get 2 points for my team and you get 0). But that's the gist.

CDu
03-09-2017, 12:48 PM
This article was also somehow on the front page of CNN yesterday as one of its top 5 sports stories with the headline [paraphrasing] "He broke all of LeBron's high school records, now is Duke's savior." A bit of a dramatic link title for my taste...but I hope he crushes it!

The irony is that LeBron didn't hold the scoring record for Ohio. Jon Diebler did. Kennard topped LeBron but not Diebler.

Doria
03-09-2017, 12:54 PM

Go Duke! Go Luke!

You might have something there. In the Raleigh area where I grew up, I went to bars and clubs, but most of them were in the ... uh, metro area, so while there was smoking outside, not a ton of area to play that. But I do remember playing the sand bag version CDu details at either grade school or carnivals (hard to recall exactly, since it was a literal lifetime ago).

But on another note, hope Luke has enough in the tank to help carry us again today. (And ugh, come on, Miami!!!!)

Jeffrey
03-09-2017, 12:58 PM
My buddy made a point of telling Luke's parents that he knew Luke would be a star but I had underestimated Luke.

Buddy?