PDA

View Full Version : Here's a question.

porkpa
03-07-2017, 07:10 AM
A friend of mine who knows me to be a rabid and long time Duke fan, asked me the following question last night.
You have two choices:
(A) In the next five years Duke wins an NCAA Championship but goes one and nine against the Tar Heels.
(B) In the next five years Duke does not win an NCAA Championship, but goes nine and one against the Tar Heels.
What would you choose?
I told him that in my opinion, its a no brainer. I'd go with choice (B).
What would you folks think?

coldriver10
03-07-2017, 07:31 AM
A friend of mine who knows me to be a rabid and long time Duke fan, asked me the following question last night.
You have two choices:
(A) In the next five years Duke wins an NCAA Championship but goes one and nine against the Tar Heels.
(B) In the next five years Duke does not win an NCAA Championship, but goes nine and one against the Tar Heels.
What would you choose?
It's a no brainer for me...in the opposite way. Beating UNC is great but nothing beats an NCAA championship.

camion
03-07-2017, 07:41 AM
You have two choices:
What would you choose?

It's a no brainer for me also. I choose one from column A and one from column B.
A. Duke wins an NCAA Championship.
B. Duke goes nine and one against the Tar Heels.

weezie
03-07-2017, 07:44 AM
Win the NC right off the bat so I can then get on Elon Musk's rocketship to Mars and ignore the rest of the bargain.

Troublemaker
03-07-2017, 07:46 AM
A championship trumps all (well, except for academic standards).

DrChainsaw
03-07-2017, 07:57 AM
Beating a good Carolina team is one of the most satisfying experiences for me. I would gladly give up the NC and one-and-dones to watch the players mature over 4 years and repetitively thump the TarHeads.

jjredickrules
03-07-2017, 09:05 AM
With the choices given, definitely (B).

You didn't specify how good Duke was during those 5 years and how far we went in the ACC and NCAA tourneys. I'd be fine with winning every game except the Championship.

If the choice is "Duke sucks but beats UNC, or Duke rocks but can't beat UNC" (with the dichotomy more emphasized), that would be a much more difficult question. I'd still might choose beating UNC. But it'd be close.

Ima Facultiwyfe
03-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Natties every time!!
Love,Ima

Devils Librarian
03-07-2017, 09:19 AM
You don't specify whether or not they win a National Championship in the period that we beat them 9 out of 10 times.

If the answer is that neither of us win a natty in that time period, I might take the win 9 of 10. The reason being is that I live in Durham and tar heel fans are the most delusional bunch of people I've ever met. They are the poster children for cognitive dissonance.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2017, 09:41 AM
How much will Tar Heel fans whine about our easy path to the championship?

I'll take the banner, thanks.

rsvman
03-07-2017, 09:44 AM
On its face it's a completely unrealistic choice, because if we were good enough to win another National Championship, we'd likely also be good enough to pull in more than one win against our fellow....ahem.....scholars (cough, cough) down the road.

However, based on the way the question was presented, I'd take the National Championship.

PackMan97
03-07-2017, 09:47 AM
You guys are crazy! I'll take Duke going 9-1 against UNC.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2017, 09:49 AM

How many titles does State take in this scenario?

Devils Librarian
03-07-2017, 09:53 AM

I'd love to know if the people who are picking to go 9-1 against unc-ch live in North Carolina. I'd probably pick a championship if I lived elsewhere in the country, but because I'm constantly surrounded by the Disney-Princess-Blue crowd, I picked 9-1.

UNCfan
03-07-2017, 09:54 AM

We would have to come up with something equal for State fans, over the 5 years what would State fans choose:

A: State gets a double buy in the ACC Tournament
B: State sweeps UNC in a season

I would take the 9-1 over Duke over the NC. The Austin Rivers shot a few years ago stings more than the shot Jenkins hit last year to win the NC.

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2017, 09:55 AM
We would have to come up with something equal for State fans, over the 5 years what would State fans choose:

A: State gets a double buy in the ACC Tournament
B: State sweeps UNC in a season

I would take the 9-1 over Duke over the NC. The Austin Rivers shot a few years ago stings more than the shot Jenkins hit last year to win the NC.

So mean. I laughed cuz it's funny. But still so mean.

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2017, 09:57 AM
You have two choices:
What would you choose?

Natties all the way. I think the better question is:

1) 5-0 ACC Tournaments and no National Championships
2) 0-5 ACC Tournaments and 1 National Championship

I'll take option 2.

Steven43
03-07-2017, 09:57 AM

Absolutely!! Beating UNC nine times out of ten over five years provides MANY more great moments and long-term memories than does one national championship. No question about it. Plus, if you live in the Triangle you can put it in the Heel fans faces for five straight years every place you go wearing your Duke gear. You don't even need to say a word because it will be understood who is the boss. This was an easy question to answer.

Steven43
03-07-2017, 09:58 AM
Beating a good Carolina team is one of the most satisfying experiences for me. I would gladly give up the NC and one-and-dones to watch the players mature over 4 years and repetitively thump the TarHeads.

This!

coldriver10
03-07-2017, 10:07 AM
I'd love to know if the people who are picking to go 9-1 against unc-ch live in North Carolina. I'd probably pick a championship if I lived elsewhere in the country, but because I'm constantly surrounded by the Disney-Princess-Blue crowd, I picked 9-1.
I live in Durham and I'd pick the championship, no question. And I'd proudly wear the official locker room t-shirt to all the get-togethers with my husband's Carolina-loving family :)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-07-2017, 10:07 AM

I'll take option 2.

I would suggest that a Duke team that won five straight ACC tournaments in this current league configuration would be very unlikely to whiff on a national championship.

gus
03-07-2017, 10:47 AM

PackMan97's motivation might also be a little different than in a few other responses.

vfefrenzy
03-07-2017, 01:05 PM

I'll take option 2.

Option 2 is the last 5 seasons, and they were pretty great. I can live that indefinitely.

niveklaen
03-07-2017, 01:14 PM
I'd take the championship, in part because I assume that after the cheating era wins are vacated, Duke's lead in the head to head matchup with UNC will be so big that a 1-9 stretch wont really make a dent in it.

Sir Stealth
03-07-2017, 01:14 PM
I would definitely go with option B. I can get by in life living with no national championships, but I do not think I could bear losing to UNC at that rate.

Indoor66
03-07-2017, 01:51 PM
I live in Durham and I'd pick the championship, no question. And I'd proudly wear the official locker room t-shirt to all the get-togethers with my husband's Carolina-loving family :)

I vote that you divorce the whole lot of them. 😂😎

royalblue
03-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Cheat losses trump all
If you assure me no ff trips for them then B

Doria
03-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Championship for me. I can ignore some annoying losses that I probably won't even remember 10-15 years down the line (assuming I don't get hit by a bus in this scenario). However, I don't live in NC anymore, so I understand why someone might choose the reverse.

royalblue
03-07-2017, 02:31 PM
C Duke wins it all loses to uncch 3 times or
D uncch goes 8-20 or same% again and Duke beats uncch 3 times

I really loved D in 2002

flyingdutchdevil
03-07-2017, 02:35 PM
C Duke wins it all loses to uncch 3 times or
D uncch goes 8-20 or same% again and Duke beats uncch 3 times

I really loved D in 2002

That phrase has many connotations, my friend.

nmduke2001
03-07-2017, 11:49 PM
In 1999 we beat UNC by 12, 20 and 23 points the three times we played them. I'd gladly take an "L" for one (or all three)of those games for a 1 point victory over UConn that same year.

Without googling it, I don't know our record against UNC in 91,92,01,10 or 15 but I know how those seasons ended.

Edouble
03-07-2017, 11:58 PM
In 1999 we beat UNC by 12, 20 and 23 points the three times we played them. I'd gladly take an "L" for one (or all three)of those games for a 1 point victory over UConn that same year.

Without googling it, I don't know our record against UNC in 91,92,01,10 or 15 but I know how those seasons ended.

Technically Ademola Okulaja beat himself in all three of those games, although Duke was credited with the wins.

UrinalCake
03-08-2017, 12:14 AM
That's a tough call; National Titles are obviously the end goal and as a sports culture were are training to believe that they are all that matter. But as someone who lives in the Triangle and encounters UNC fans on a daily basis, the constant stream of happiness that would result from the sustained beatings of them head to head would bring me an awful lot of pleasure. I guess I'd still vote for option 1, getting a sixth title would be amazing, but I'd be fine with either option.

Dukeblue91
03-08-2017, 06:47 AM
I'd be fine with no NC as long as the cheats don't win one either during that time.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-08-2017, 07:10 AM
I'll take beating carolina 22 out of 22, including ACC tournament and NCAA tournament games, starting this week, for the next 5+ seasons. The Natty's will take care of themselves! LGD GTHc!

So so says the president of Mt. Hatemore!

jv001
03-08-2017, 07:14 AM
I'd take the 9-1 over the cheats as long as they don't win the NCAAT in any of those years. GoDuke!

coldriver10
03-08-2017, 07:34 AM
I vote that you divorce the whole lot of them. 😂😎
Ha! Fortunately, despite going through childhood a Carolina fan, my husband is now a rabid Duke fan (we met in undergrad). Otherwise, the relationship would have had no chance.

weezie
03-08-2017, 07:40 AM
^^^^
Have a friend from Duke days who txts me during every game because she doesn't want to upset her hole husband by cheering too loudly for Duke. What kind of a relationship is that!!!??

Live free and get another tv for crying out loud.

coldriver10
03-08-2017, 07:47 AM
^^^^
Have a friend from Duke days who txts me during every game because she doesn't want to upset her hole husband by cheering too loudly for Duke. What kind of a relationship is that!!!??

Couldn't do it. We get into more arguments immediately after Duke losses than in the rest of time combined (due to both being in a bad mood), I can only imagine what it'd be like if one of us hated Duke. Kudos to your friend for making it work!

Hubs is a Yankees fan, though. I guess nobody's perfect.

Indoor66
03-08-2017, 08:15 AM
^^^^

I believe that I provided a solution a couple of posts above.😂😎

DaleDuke7
03-08-2017, 08:16 AM
I'll take the championship while going 1-9 against unc, with the one win against them coming in the National Title game. That's ultimate bragging rights. The 1-9 would sting much, much less.