PDA

View Full Version : 5 Second Call

BD80
03-05-2017, 10:53 AM
I am still amazed at the 5 second call on Grayson at the end of the first half of the game at carolina.

I understand refs missing calls in the heat of action, there is a lot going on that they are supposed to keep track of, including 10 very large athletes moving quickly and changing directions abruptly and engaging in physical contact from toes to fingertips 10 feet in the air.

The ref on the inbounds play is to count to 5, and typically extends his arm to count the seconds. As the 5 count nears, he focuses on the ball. That Is it! Count to 5 and see if the ball is inbounded!

This ref (can anyone identify which one?) seemed determined to call the turnover! His 5 count was hurried (for amusement, see how slow his count is going for the heels on the resulting inbound), but worse, HE MAKES THE CALL BEFORE HIS ARM REACHES THE END OF THE 5 COUNT!

The ref sees Grayson inbounding the ball, and blows the whistle before his count is finished. He knows that if he waits for the end of the count, the ball will be properly inbounded (a hand-off) so he blows it early.

Even Bilas felt the count was quick - I rest my case.

kshepinthehouse
03-05-2017, 10:56 AM
I am still amazed at the 5 second call on Grayson at the end of the first half of the game at carolina.

I understand refs missing calls in the heat of action, there is a lot going on that they are supposed to keep track of, including 10 very large athletes moving quickly and changing directions abruptly and engaging in physical contact from toes to fingertips 10 feet in the air.

The ref on the inbounds play is to count to 5, and typically extends his arm to count the seconds. As the 5 count nears, he focuses on the ball. That Is it! Count to 5 and see if the ball is inbounded!

This ref (can anyone identify which one?) seemed determined to call the turnover! His 5 count was hurried (for amusement, see how slow his count is going for the heels on the resulting inbound), but worse, HE MAKES THE CALL BEFORE HIS ARM REACHES THE END OF THE 5 COUNT!

The ref sees Grayson inbounding the ball, and blows the whistle before his count is finished. He knows that if he waits for the end of the count, the ball will be properly inbounded (a hand-off) so he blows it early.

The one you're talking about was close. I went back and counted and didn't have much of a problem with it. There was one before where Matt Jones was inbounding the ball that probably should've been called but wasn't. So I'm okay with 1/2 of those being called.

tbyers11
03-05-2017, 10:57 AM

I texted my friend after it happened that it was a makeup 5 second call from the previous time we tried to inbound the ball. I thought the one before it was very close to 5 seconds and could even have been called. Totally agree that the one that was called didn't seem close to 5 and that the ref was pre-determined to call it.

BD80
03-05-2017, 10:59 AM
The one you're talking about was close. I went back and counted and didn't have much of a problem with it. There was one before where Matt Jones was inbounding the ball that probably should've been called but wasn't. So I'm okay with 1/2 of those being called.

So you're saying it was a make-up call?

The one called was less than 5 seconds (even if you don't have a problem - admit it was less than 5 seconds), AND BEFORE THE END OF THE REF'S OWN COUNT!

devildeac
03-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Someone in chat timed ours at 4.18 seconds. Higher unc/acc ref math. And it sure seemed like they got 6+ seconds on one of their inbounds plays near the end of the game just before we just missed a tip/steal. :mad:

Faison1
03-05-2017, 11:34 AM

The one called was less than 5 seconds (even if you don't have a problem - admit it was less than 5 seconds), AND BEFORE THE END OF THE REF'S OWN COUNT!

The call I was more surprised about was Tatum's Offensive Foul with about 2 mins left. He barely extended his arm on that drive.

Look, I don't want to get into a ref bashing thread here, but man, that one was bad. I didn't hear Bilas say much about it either.

Having said all that, we definitely lost our composure with about 3 mins to go. Talk about finishing weak...

However, the vision that stands out most to me was watching a little old lady scream and boo at Grayson while he was passing the ball in from the sidelines. Aren't people supposed to mature at some age?

At Cameron, I get it...it's students who surround the floor...students are expected to be crass and immature...not little old ladies.

Bob Green
03-05-2017, 11:51 AM

In my opinion, it was a make-up call.

kmspeaks
03-05-2017, 11:53 AM

Of course we'll never know what was going through the ref's mind but if it was a make-up call then that's even worse. Officials are taught NOT to do that. Their job is to call what they see, not do their best to make sure things even out over the course of a game.

DangerDevil
03-05-2017, 11:56 AM
Look, I don't want to get into a ref bashing thread here, but man, that one was bad. I didn't hear Bilas say much about it either.

Bilas actually thought that a few calls were so bad, that he actually went out of character and out of his way to point out that he disagreed with a few calls against us.

Turk
03-05-2017, 11:57 AM
Meh. Refs were erratic, and Duke got a couple calls too. The refs didn't decide the game; Carolina was just a bit better. Enough twerping. Next play.

kshepinthehouse
03-05-2017, 12:00 PM
The call I was more surprised about was Tatum's Offensive Foul with about 2 mins left. He barely extended his arm on that drive.

Having said all that, we definitely lost our composure with about 3 mins to go. Talk about finishing weak...

However, the vision that stands out most to me was watching a little old lady scream and boo at Grayson while he was passing the ball in from the sidelines. Aren't people supposed to mature at some age?

At Cameron, I get it...it's students who surround the floor...students are expected to be crass and immature...not little old ladies.

Duke played so well offensively...until the last couple of minutes. This team doesn't close as well as Duke teams of the past. If they did, we would probably have 4-5 more wins.

Bob Green
03-05-2017, 12:08 PM
Of course we'll never know what was going through the ref's mind but if it was a make-up call then that's even worse. Officials are taught NOT to do that. Their job is to call what they see, not do their best to make sure things even out over the course of a game.

I do not disagree with anything you've stated, but I still believe it was a make-up call because it wasn't a 5 seconds violation and it came soon after Duke obviously took more than 5 seconds to inbound the ball.

Elge13
03-05-2017, 01:29 PM
T

"However, the vision that stands out most to me was watching a little old lady scream and boo at Grayson while he was passing the ball in from the sidelines. Aren't people supposed to mature at some age?

At Cameron, I get it...it's students who surround the floor...students are expected to be crass and immature...not little old ladies."

This what concerns me. Hate watching games at UNC because the "adults" behave so poorly. There were other adults that I saw acting out. I just do not get it. These players are young adults/students. This is not the NBA. UNC fans are not the only ones, but they are consistent. I know that I could be biased, but I have not seen adults at Cameron acting like this.

As for the call, as well as others-did not lose the game. Agree with others-Duke just did not finish strong. IMHO-they looked tired.

budwom
03-05-2017, 01:37 PM
I do not disagree with anything you've stated, but I still believe it was a make-up call because it wasn't a 5 seconds violation and it came soon after Duke obviously took more than 5 seconds to inbound the ball.

that's how I saw it, too.

-bdbd
03-05-2017, 05:06 PM

The five seconds call was clearly a make-up for something. I timed it at about 4.3 seconds myself, but they usually give about 6 or even 7 seconds anyway. My guess is that someone, such as ole Roy, said something after the earlier one. So call it "home court advantage." But the timing was just awful, right at the end of the half like that (momentum impact). But refs most certainly DO have make-up calls. [Probably the most blatant example I ever saw was in our favor... About 20 years ago, in the NCAAT, Duke playing vs MSU, and one of our bigs makes a dunk, but the rim snapping back caused the net to catch the ball which then come back UP thru and out of the basket. The whistle is blown, the refs confer and then meet with both HCs, where you can lip-read one ref telling K, "...will make it up to you." Then it is announced that it was NO BASKET and it is a MSU ball. On the next possession, ten seconds in, the same ref calls a rediculous touch foul against one of the MSU bigs. The game went in from there and eVeryone understood.].

The "charge" on Tatum was just a bad call, as the ref was watching the defender who really sold the Tatum supposed push-off. Honestly, when the whistle initially blew my reaction was "yes!", thinking it was on the D for the initial contact.

The one that really puzzled me was the "double foul" called as Grayson made a drive at the top of the key. It effectively cost us a possession. In slow motion the defender clearly has his hand against GA's mid-section, which should have been the foul, but then GA's elbow makes contact with defender's head as he crosses over - hence the double-foul. But the "first foul" is supposed to be the only one called, and anything subsequent is washed out, in effect because the initial foul may have "caused" any subsequent contact, and play stops. Yet after both sides got two FTs, UNC got possession... ('was in a sports bar, so had no audio of any explanation).

Overall the reffing didn't favor Duke by any stretch, but that comes with playing in front of 23K rabid Duke haters. And for every disgruntled Duke fan, you'll also have a dusgruntled Kerlina one pointing to the disparity in free throws...

Bob Green
03-05-2017, 05:08 PM
The one that really puzzled me was the "double foul" called as Grayson made a drive at the top of the key. It effectively cost us a possession. In slow motion the defender clearly has his hand against his mid-section, which should have been the foul, but then GA's elbow makes contact with defender's head as he crosses over - hence the double-foul. But the "first foul" is supposed to be the only one called, and anything subsequent is washed out, in effect because the initial foul may have "caused" any subsequent contact, and play stops. Yet after both sides got two FTs, UNC was given possession... (I was in a sports bar, so had no audio of any explanation.).

Grayson Allen was assessed a dead ball technical foul.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18825812/duke-blue-devils-grayson-allen-gets-technical-foul-elbowing-north-carolina-tar-heels-brandon-robinson

-bdbd
03-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Grayson Allen was assessed a dead ball technical foul.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18825812/duke-blue-devils-grayson-allen-gets-technical-foul-elbowing-north-carolina-tar-heels-brandon-robinson

Thanks. But my point was that normally, and a play with "multiple" fouls, only the FIRST one counts. It has been explained to be by a college ref that you can't ASSUME what would have happened subsequent to the first foul. In this case, can't argue that the hand-check didn't affect the subsequent elbow from Allen.

Bob Green
03-05-2017, 05:33 PM
Thanks. But my point was that normally, and a play with "multiple" fouls, only the FIRST one counts. It has been explained to be by a college ref that you can't ASSUME what would have happened subsequent to the first foul. In this case, can't argue that the hand-check didn't affect the subsequent elbow from Allen.

The difference between what you are describing and what the refs called centers around the term "a basketball play." The refs determined Grayson Allen did not make a basketball play after being fouled by Robinson, he elbowed Robinson in the head. Personally, I believe the elbow was incidental but the refs assessed a technical foul so they obviously disagree with my interpretation of the event.

uh_no
03-05-2017, 05:41 PM

given that elbow to the face DURING play is an automatic flagrant, regardless of intent, i can't say I'm that upset about this one. personally, i thought the foul on ga caused what would have maybe been a push off into an elbow to the face, the precedent is that you always have to be aware of where your elbows are going. Grayson failed at that here.

obviously Grayson didn't mean to hit him in the face, but by extending his elbow at all, he put himself at risk for something happening, and it did. i can't really fault the refs that much for this one.

gofurman
03-05-2017, 05:51 PM

RIGHT. Officials are taught specifically NOT to do make up calls - why? Because to move up in officiating.. (and move up in $$$) .. IE, SoCon to ACC to NCAA tourney etc you are measured on the % of calls that are correct. I once heard an official talk about this. If you practice make-up calls you have now gone from one bad call to two.

SO I have never understood 'make up calls'. Its a direct way to sabotage your officiating career. Strange.

Coballs
03-05-2017, 06:57 PM

Classy...

rsvman
03-05-2017, 07:07 PM
Anybody see what she was saying? I rewound the DVR to see if it was really five seconds, and you could see what she said. It was kind of funny.
If I'm not mistaken, she said "Go away." (It might have been "Go home." I erased the game so I can't double check it.)
In any case, it made me laugh.

rsvman
03-05-2017, 07:09 PM
Oh, and I agree with Bob that the ref had clearly predetermined that he was going to make that call if the count got anywhere near five.

Coballs
03-05-2017, 07:55 PM
Anybody see what she was saying? I rewound the DVR to see if it was really five seconds, and you could see what she said. It was kind of funny.
If I'm not mistaken, she said "Go away." (It might have been "Go home." I erased the game so I can't double check it.)

Yeah it looks like she says "Go away" a few times and motions with her hand for him to leave. And then she has a bemused reaction when the ref hands Grayson the ball to inbound it.

superdave
03-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Meh. Refs were erratic, and Duke got a couple calls too. The refs didn't decide the game; Carolina was just a bit better. Enough twerping. Next play.

Nailed it. I'd put more weight on our guys missing free throws down the stretch and not blocking out Hicks than the refs sucking (and yes, they sucked; kinda inconsistent to be polite).

BD80
03-05-2017, 09:13 PM
Nailed it. I'd put more weight on our guys missing free throws down the stretch and not blocking out Hicks than the refs sucking (and yes, they sucked; kinda inconsistent to be polite).

I'm not saying the reffing was to blame for the result of the game, I was just amazed at how bad a particular, simple, straight-forward call was.

Did anyone get the name of the ref?

Before anyone criticizes refs, he/she should try reffing a rec game or something similar. It really is not easy. And it gets harder as the level improves.

My point is that the five second call IS EASY, and this ref blew it. Badly. In my mind, intentionally.

DBFAN
03-06-2017, 10:51 AM
Yes we missed some plays and free throws, and shots, but the big problem with officiating in that game seemed to be that the bad calls against us seem to happen every time we had the momentum. Up 6-3 obvious kicked ball by ACC POY, Not called, UNC fast break, momentum changes. 5 second call when we made a stop and had time to tie or take lead in to half. Then there was the goal tending that wasn't called, which to be honest I haven't gone back to see, but entire bench and Giles and players on the court all had their arms up in disbelief
The only issue I had with the Allen double tech is why did they automatically review that one, but didn't give a second thought about the trip. Grant it I know it wasn't intentional, but he did step on Allens foot, which should have at least been called a common foul. Don't get me started tho on all the travels that weren't called on UNC, was just like watching Tyler Hansbaby all over again, except they were letting 2 or 3 guys do it all night.

Jeffrey
03-06-2017, 10:52 AM

Agreed, it was poor officiating and really ticked-off Coach. When walking off the court at halftime, Coach K turned to the ref and said he was going right to Bryan Kersey.

Devils Librarian
03-06-2017, 10:55 AM

But...but...but Chapel Hill is the classiest place in college basketball! People who wear their best dress shirts and sweater vests to an athletic event are simply a higher class of individual than the rest of us. Surely the elderly lady in the ruffled blouse yelling at Grayson Allen just became confused. She probably thought our players were under dressed, what with having no argyle patterns on their uniforms.

duketaylor
03-06-2017, 10:59 AM
I saw more poorly called games this year than most. I attended two VCU games here and both were terribly called, and both ways. Attended them with an official and an AAU coach. We were mystified. Same seemed true throughout the ACC season. My UVA friends here in town agree as well. Wish I could hope the tourney officiating will be better...

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 11:19 AM
But...but...but Chapel Hill is the classiest place in college basketball! People who wear their best dress shirts and sweater vests to an athletic event are simply a higher class of individual than the rest of us. Surely the elderly lady in the ruffled blouse yelling at Grayson Allen just became confused. She probably thought our players were under dressed, what with having no argyle patterns on their uniforms.

I respect any college crusty yelling and standing and supporting their team. A crusty should do it in a more refined and mature manner, of course. Based on the lip reading people out here did, it seems the lady did just that. No obscenities, nothing personal (a la over rated), and she didn't mention tripping. It was just a "go home", lol. Not very creative, but admirable.

Doesn't everyone out here appreciate crusted over crazies yelling loud and proud for our Blue Devils? I would hope that the next game I make it to, I wouldn't be expected to sit quietly simply because my hair is white and I just recently became eligible to join AARP.

devildeac
03-06-2017, 11:23 AM
"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up,

No sir,

Not I,

Not me,

So there!"

Ask Ozzie what a couple older gentlemen said to us during one of the early round games at the RBC/PNC Center about 10 years ago...

killerleft
03-06-2017, 01:14 PM

Man, you just don't lip-read very well. She said, "Go home", so far so good, but quickly added, "MJ is going to sell us the Nike-lyn Bridge at halftime, and we're gonna eat it up!".:)

And it came to pass.

Duke79UNLV77
03-06-2017, 01:21 PM
On the inbounds plays, I think it is important to remember that the play is not called based on a precise stopwatch. Rather, the ref counts out loud and moves his hand. It's probably rarely perfect, but the inbounder can rely on the count to know when he has to pass the ball. Jones got more than 5 seconds by the clock, but successfully inbounded the ball before the ref's hand had completed the count. Grayson got less than 5 seconds and inbounded the ball before the ref's hand had completed the count. That's just a bad call.

Other than that, I thought Josh Jackson dramatically flopped to sell pretty minor contact by Tatum late in the game (and I'm sure Wheat is outraged that Ole Roy obviously teaches that!). On one possession late in the first half, Jackson got away with 2 obvious fouls (arm grab and trip) on Allen, and I also thought the charge Maye drew after Allen flipped the ball to Tatum and Tatum drove was a terrible call.

All in all, though, I've certainly seen worse-called games this year, and the team that made more plays in the final 3 minutes won.

devildeac
03-06-2017, 01:31 PM
On the inbounds plays, I think it is important to remember that the play is not called based on a precise stopwatch. Rather, the ref counts out loud and moves his hand. It's probably rarely perfect, but the inbounder can rely on the count to know when he has to pass the ball. Jones got more than 5 seconds by the clock, but successfully inbounded the ball before the ref's hand had completed the count. Grayson got less than 5 seconds and inbounded the ball before the ref's hand had completed the count. That's just a bad call.

Other than that, I thought Josh Jackson dramatically flopped to sell pretty minor contact by Tatum late in the game (and I'm sure Wheat is outraged that Ole Roy obviously teaches that!). On one possession late in the first half, Jackson got away with 2 obvious fouls (arm grab and trip) on Allen, and I also thought the charge Maye drew after Allen flipped the ball to Tatum and Tatum drove was a terrible call.

All in all, though, I've certainly seen worse-called games this year, and the team that made more plays in the final 3 minutes won.

1. With or without a "head snap?"

2. Arm part of the ball. Tripping not a foul. (unless Grayson is somehow involved in either/both scenario)

:rolleyes::mad:

Spanarkel
03-06-2017, 01:45 PM
Yes we missed some plays and free throws, and shots, but the big problem with officiating in that game seemed to be that the bad calls against us seem to happen every time we had the momentum. Up 6-3 obvious kicked ball by ACC POY, Not called, UNC fast break, momentum changes. 5 second call when we made a stop and had time to tie or take lead in to half. Then there was the goal tending that wasn't called, which to be honest I haven't gone back to see, but entire bench and Giles and players on the court all had their arms up in disbelief
The only issue I had with the Allen double tech is why did they automatically review that one, but didn't give a second thought about the trip. Grant it I know it wasn't intentional, but he did step on Allens foot, which should have at least been called a common foul. Don't get me started tho on all the travels that weren't called on UNC, was just like watching Tyler Hansbaby all over again, except they were letting 2 or 3 guys do it all night.

Yes, this kicked ball play seemed very apparent. Frank passed the ball, which clearly hit Pinson's foot, then Pinson took off and fed Jackson for the fast break dunk.

Duke79UNLV77
03-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Yes, this kicked ball play seemed very apparent. Frank passed the ball, which clearly hit Pinson's foot, then Pinson took off and fed Jackson for the fast break dunk.

I hate to say it, but I think this non-call was correct, as Pinson's foot was on the ground and he did not appear to intentionally kick the ball; rather, it was just inadvertently passed into his foot.

Duke79UNLV77
03-06-2017, 01:54 PM
2. Arm part of the ball. Tripping not a foul. (unless Grayson is somehow involved in either/both scenario)

:rolleyes::mad:

I also don't think Allen actually intended to elbow Robinson and that Allen was making a basketball play. I think he was doing a swim move to get his shoulders by a defender who was blocking him with an arm foul. If you want to call that a technical if the elbow ends up making contact with the face, that's fine. But, then, I'm wondering why players can elbow, slap, trip, etc. Allen without being subject to the same call.

devildeac
03-06-2017, 02:08 PM
I also don't think Allen actually intended to elbow Robinson and that Allen was making a basketball play. I think he was doing a swim move to get his shoulders by a defender who was blocking him with an arm foul. If you want to call that a technical if the elbow ends up making contact with the face, that's fine. But, then, I'm wondering why players can elbow, slap, trip, etc. Allen without being subject to the same call.

Yea, the lack of "consistency" is amazing. Earlier in the year in a non-conference game, Amile was guarding someone closely on the perimeter who had the ball and his back to him. The opponent pivoted/turned around and caught Amile in the face or side of the head with his forearm or elbow. Call? Yep, foul on Amile's face. Tatum's and Luke's faces also appear to be "part of the ball," too. :mad:

brevity
03-06-2017, 02:10 PM
On the inbounds plays, I think it is important to remember that the play is not called based on a precise stopwatch. Rather, the ref counts out loud and moves his hand.

This is the key. And it's important to note that in these fast times we live in, everything is abbreviated, even the verbal 5-second count. Instead of the traditional "1-Mississippi, 2- Mississippi..." the ref might be saying "1-Ole Miss, 2-Ole Miss...".

Actually, because it's a Duke game, the ref may have shortened "1-one thousand, 2-one thousand..." to "1-K, 2-K, 3-K, 4-K, 5-K". Ironic that Coach K gets the ultimate tribute, and it works against his team.

May I suggest "1-Krzyzewski, 2-Krzyzewski..." for the future?

budwom
03-06-2017, 02:32 PM
This is the key. And it's important to note that in these fast times we live in, everything is abbreviated, even the verbal 5-second count. Instead of the traditional "1-Mississippi, 2- Mississippi..." the ref might be saying "1-Ole Miss, 2-Ole Miss...".

Actually, because it's a Duke game, the ref may have shortened "1-one thousand, 2-one thousand..." to "1-K, 2-K, 3-K, 4-K, 5-K". Ironic that Coach K gets the ultimate tribute, and it works against his team.

May I suggest "1-Krzyzewski, 2-Krzyzewski..." for the future?

now I understand your moniker...:cool:

Spanarkel
03-06-2017, 02:41 PM
I hate to say it, but I think this non-call was correct, as Pinson's foot was on the ground and he did not appear to intentionally kick the ball; rather, it was just inadvertently passed into his foot.

You're correct! Thank you for the clarification.

English
03-06-2017, 02:45 PM

I don't mean to single you out, DU79LV77, but I just find this reference and the many others in this and the post-game thread to be so comical--I assume repeatedly confusing Justin Jackson with Josh Jackson has been done as an intentional, and good-spirited, sign of some gamesmanship, right? Those are two different people. We don't even care enough about either Dumpsville or KU to pay a lick of mind to which guy plays for which team. ACC POY, for shame.

FerryFor50
03-06-2017, 03:17 PM
Don't forget - in Chapel Hill, 4 is 5 and ceilings are roofs.

devildeac
03-06-2017, 03:21 PM
Don't forget - in Chapel Hill, 4 is 5 and ceilings are roofs.

But what If 6 Was 9?

TobaMom
03-06-2017, 05:23 PM

Yes -- all I could do was yell, "Sit your old [butt] down, your old bag!" My husband thought it was a bit excessive. I stand by it.

rasputin
03-06-2017, 05:23 PM

That's correct, but I have seen a million "kicked ball" calls this year when the exact same thing happened and the ball happened to hit somebody's foot/leg.

BandAlum83
03-06-2017, 05:45 PM
Yes -- all I could do was yell, "Sit your old [butt] down, your old bag!" My husband thought it was a bit excessive. I stand by it.

I see what you did there! I am a lover of irony, and as such, a spork is headed your way :)

royalblue
03-06-2017, 05:52 PM
But what If 6 Was 9?

Sing on Brother, Play on drummer

Jeffrey
03-06-2017, 06:01 PM
But what If 6 Was 9?

Then, Chapel Hill would be loaded with its normal level of distortion, reverb, and echo!