PDA

View Full Version : WBB: Duke vs. Notre Dame for ACC Championship 1:00

dudog84
03-05-2017, 10:30 AM
I think rebounding and turnovers will be the key to this game (no great insight there, eh?). I want Kendall to have a really good game and neutralize Brianna Turner. I know Notre Dame has been dominant since joining the conference, but we can definitely win this game. I honestly put it at 50-50.

The commentator yesterday mentioned what a high-powered offense Notre Dame has, averaging about 80 PPG. Well, Syracuse averaged 79 this season and we just held them to 46.

I also think we should be in the conversation for a 2 seed. We tied for second in the best conference in the country, have won 10 straight, and have beaten 8 ranked teams this year. We have an RPI of 7. If we win today, I think we are a lock for a 2 seed. Who would have thought that in November? I was optimistic for the season, but not that optimistic.

Great job ladies! Get it done today!

dudog84
03-05-2017, 12:15 PM
A little more research...

Regardless of the outcome today, we should move into the top 10. We're currently #13, and of the teams right above us:

#9 Ohio State just lost in the semis to an unranked team (I don't understand the love for this team, they only have 2 wins against ranked opponents).

#11 Washington just lost in the quarters to an unranked team (only 4 wins against ranked teams).

#12 Texas has some quality wins but also 7 losses, including 3 of the last 5 (they play unranked West Virginia in semis today, and they are only 2 votes above us in poll).

#8 Florida State lost in the quarters and has dropped 4 of their last 6.

#6 Oregon State plays #10 Stanford in their final, probably won't move above either of those unless we win.

Meanwhile, we're playing the #3 team in the country in our final.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2017, 12:27 PM
I think rebounding and turnovers will be the key to this game (no great insight there, eh?). I want Kendall to have a really good game and neutralize Brianna Turner. I know Notre Dame has been dominant since joining the conference, but we can definitely win this game. I honestly put it at 50-50.

The commentator yesterday mentioned what a high-powered offense Notre Dame has, averaging about 80 PPG. Well, Syracuse averaged 79 this season and we just held them to 46.

I also think we should be in the conversation for a 2 seed. We tied for second in the best conference in the country, have won 10 straight, and have beaten 8 ranked teams this year. We have an RPI of 7. If we win today, I think we are a lock for a 2 seed. Who would have thought that in November? I was optimistic for the season, but not that optimistic.

Great job ladies! Get it done today!
Agree on rebounding and turnovers. We need Becca to score better, too. If we play the defense that we are known for, ND won't get near 80. (Our first game was 62-58.)
As far as the 2 seed, we have to be close, but we'll need to win today to make it happen. Charlie Crème seems to think we are locked into the 3 regardless, but I have to believe that if we pull off the upset, and win the ACC tourney in the process, that puts us over the top.
Either way, great season. I loathe the long wait between tourneys on the women's side, but will patiently wait to see if we move out of Cameron into the Sweet Sixteen.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2017, 01:49 PM
Agree on rebounding and turnovers. We need Becca to score better, too. If we play the defense that we are known for, ND won't get near 80. (Our first game was 62-58.)

Horrible half. ND is over halfway to 80. We have so many unforced turnovers, it is beyond frustrating. Luckily, still have another half to play.

Karl Beem
03-05-2017, 01:52 PM
Bad Duke has shown up - the 'can't make layups' Duke.

killerleft
03-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Bad Duke has shown up - the 'can't make layups' Duke.

Yep. We've dug our own hole.

Correctable mistakes. But there are a couple players looking like deer in the headlights. They just gotta play!

Go Duke!

DU82
03-05-2017, 02:10 PM
Starting the second half with threes from Cooper (yes, Kendall) and Rebecca cut the lead to six. Duke timeout after Becca gets trapped in the corner after a long rebound. Good TO to try and keep the momentum going.

killerleft
03-05-2017, 02:12 PM
That's more like it!!!!!! Down by 2. ND timeout.

DU82
03-05-2017, 02:12 PM
Two more run-out baskets cut the lead to two, and a Notre Dame timeout! 10--0 to start the third quarter. Nice adjustments at the half.

DU82
03-05-2017, 02:21 PM
And an 14-0 run takes the lead back to 16.

killerleft
03-05-2017, 02:22 PM
And then give up 14 straight.

killerleft
03-05-2017, 02:28 PM
Great drive by Primm and a free throw, but Duke trails by 15 after three quarters.

MCFinARL
03-05-2017, 02:34 PM
Trying to get back in it here in the 4th. Still making some mistakes but at least there is no quit in them.

dudog84
03-05-2017, 02:52 PM
Well, except for about 2 minutes at the beginning of the 3rd quarter, that was painful. Bad game all around, not much to say. On to the NCAAs. I still have confidence in this team, it was just a bad day.

CameronBornAndBred
03-05-2017, 02:53 PM
Ratfarts.

-bdbd
03-05-2017, 04:20 PM
Got to watch the championship games here in DC on ESPN2.

Duke was down 13 @ half, then came out really tough in the third quarter, getting to within two with about six minutes left in the third. ND calls timeout. Then Irish come back out on fire, and Duke really seemed to lose composure after ND made a couple threes. Duke didn't call any timeouts and didn't seem to try adjustments as ND went up by 15 by the end of the quarter. We literally couldn't make ANYTHING, missing a couple totally uncontested layup a, as well as some others that were somewhat contested...

We never got within ten in the fourth, and Irish closed out on another run, winning by 23 I think.

It was a tough ending to a nice end-of-season run. The distance in WBB between GREAT teams, such as ND, U-con, SC, etc, and just "good" programs like Duke, appears to be significant.

Was disappointed that our ladies just seemed to fold down the stretch, both on offense (lost all confidence and energy, couldn't shoot, didn't really move well without the ball, etc), and on defense (really poor energy, aggressiveness). ND had no trouble getting repeated bunnies within five feet, and MANY wide-open threes, of which they made an extraordinarily high percentage - think in terms of making about 66% of their dozen-or-so threes in the last fifteen minutes - and we were badly outrebounded.

Would've liked to have seen more "fight" from us down the stretch, maybe to have at least attempted some adjustments. At least we made it to the finals, after a great run over the last few weeks. And the Irish are clearly the class of the ACC. NOW LET'S HOPE FOR A GOOD NCAAT SEED (#3?) AND MAKE A GOOD MARCH RUN.

dudog84
03-05-2017, 06:09 PM
Got to watch the championship games here in DC on ESPN2.

Duke was down 13 @ half, then came out really tough in the third quarter, getting to within two with about six minutes left in the third. ND calls timeout. Then Irish come back out on fire, and Duke really seemed to lose composure after ND made a couple threes. Duke didn't call any timeouts and didn't seem to try adjustments as ND went up by 15 by the end of the quarter. We literally couldn't make ANYTHING, missing a couple totally uncontested layup a, as well as some others that were somewhat contested...

We never got within ten in the fourth, and Irish closed out on another run, winning by 23 I think.

It was a tough ending to a nice end-of-season run. The distance in WBB between GREAT teams, such as ND, U-con, SC, etc, and just "good" programs like Duke, appears to be significant.

Was disappointed that our ladies just seemed to fold down the stretch, both on offense (lost all confidence and energy, couldn't shoot, didn't really move well without the ball, etc), and on defense (really poor energy, aggressiveness). ND had no trouble getting repeated bunnies within five feet, and MANY wide-open threes, of which they made an extraordinarily high percentage - think in terms of making about 66% of their dozen-or-so threes in the last fifteen minutes - and we were badly outrebounded.

Would've liked to have seen more "fight" from us down the stretch, maybe to have at least attempted some adjustments. At least we made it to the finals, after a great run over the last few weeks. And the Irish are clearly the class of the ACC. NOW LET'S HOPE FOR A GOOD NCAAT SEED (#3?) AND MAKE A GOOD MARCH RUN.

It was a bad loss, a disappointing loss, but some of this is just NOT true. I know alternative facts are all the rage these days, but come on. First of all, our "good" team beat that "GREAT...SC" team by 11 points this year. Second, ND made 6 of 11 3-pointers in the last 15 minutes, marginally better than their 50% shooting for the game. FURTHERMORE we out-rebounded them by 2.

So I don't know what you were watching. I saw a team that kept fighting even though they had a bad day and the game was out-of-hand. We only lost by 4 in South Bend, this was not their day.