PDA

View Full Version : ACC Tournament Brackets and Predictions

Devilwin
03-05-2017, 06:58 AM
Found this.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/acc-tournament-2017-bracket-seeds-schedule-tv-channels-game-times-and-predictions-033057865.html;_ylt=A0LEVjMn.7tYYxQAz20nnIlQ;_ylu= X3oDMTEyamNxcHFpBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjM0ND hfMQRzZWMDc2M-

Indoor66
03-05-2017, 07:31 AM
Found this.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/acc-tournament-2017-bracket-seeds-schedule-tv-channels-game-times-and-predictions-033057865.html;_ylt=A0LEVjMn.7tYYxQAz20nnIlQ;_ylu= X3oDMTEyamNxcHFpBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDQjM0ND hfMQRzZWMDc2M-

At least Yahoo got it right! :cool:

arnie
03-05-2017, 07:47 AM
At least Yahoo got it right! :cool:

Wish it so, but Amile, Jayson and Luke would likely need to play 36-40 minutes each on four consecutive days. There are no cinch wins and dont see rest for the weary available. We might make it to the semis, but fatigue issues will be serious.

Lunchab1es
03-05-2017, 08:02 AM
We've lost to every team on our side of the bracket... so I look at this and see the 2017 Duke Revenge Tour (Tournament Edition)😈

Rest up, then win 4 straight!

Edit: we didn't lose to Clemson (oops!) but there's still lots of vengeance to be had on the way to our championship!

Troublemaker
03-05-2017, 09:06 AM
Wish it so, but Amile, Jayson and Luke would likely need to play 36-40 minutes each on four consecutive days. There are no cinch wins and dont see rest for the weary available. We might make it to the semis, but fatigue issues will be serious.

I'm pretty sure if we looked back upon Coach K's 13 ACC tournament titles, he played a short bench in every one of them.

Now, you could perhaps argue that this year is different because we have to win 4 games instead of 3 games, but that just means Duke can at least make it to the final. And, frankly, if we make it to the final, I'm going to feel like Duke is the favorite to win despite the 4 games in 4 days and no matter who comes out from the other side of the bracket.

budwom
03-05-2017, 09:11 AM
To me, the benefits of resting Allen and losing early clearly outweigh the costs of slogging through four games in four days.

I'd much much rather go into the NCAAs well rested and healthy.

AFL
03-05-2017, 09:17 AM
To me, the benefits of resting Allen and losing early clearly outweigh the costs of slogging through four games in four days.

I'd much much rather go into the NCAAs well rested and healthy.

Me too. I honestly could care less about the ACC Tournament. I would much rather have more time for our guys to rest and get healthy for the NCAA Tournament. If Duke were to lose their opening game in the ACC Tournament on Wednesday, they would then have over a week to rest for the NCAA Tournament. A week of rest would be much more beneficial than an ACC Tournament Championship.

Indoor66
03-05-2017, 09:19 AM
Me too. I honestly could care less about the ACC Tournament. I would much rather have more time for our guys to rest and get healthy for the NCAA Tournament. If Duke were to lose their opening game in the ACC Tournament on Wednesday, they would then have over a week to rest for the NCAA Tournament. A week of rest would be much more beneficial than an ACC Tournament Championship.

But you've already argued that Duke cannot win in the NCAA's. Maybe we should just hang them up for the year.:mad::rolleyes::p:cool:

uh_no
03-05-2017, 09:55 AM

if only a team had ever won four... or even five straight in a devilous conference while playing some guys almost every minute....

UNCfan
03-05-2017, 10:08 AM
Looks like the 2 seed has the easiest path to the final game. Who knew?

WakeDevil
03-05-2017, 10:21 AM
If you don't care about the ACCT, you are with the wrong team.

BandAlum83
03-05-2017, 10:21 AM

Really? "Our guys?"

I think you need to establish some credibility before you start throwing that term around.

Billy Dat
03-05-2017, 10:34 AM
What I don't want is a first round loss. To me, that is the only no win scenario. I feel like the team is actually playing pretty well right now so it would be nice to have a couple of heavyweight bouts up in Brooklyn.

dukelifer
03-05-2017, 11:11 AM

One win may get Duke a 4 seed. Getting a 3 will require a finals appearance.

Devilwin
03-05-2017, 11:20 AM
I want to win the ACCT. Don't let UNC win everything for crying out loud. We'll have several days to rest before the Dance begins. We are not talking 60 year old men here, but 18-21 year old kids. Geez

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Put me in the "let's go win in Brooklyn" camp. This team, more than any recent team I can recall, seems like it would really benefit from winning four games in a row and coming home with a new banner for Cameron Indoor. Something to build on for the weeks ahead.

Also, given the extraordinary expectations placed on this team before they ever hit the court, to come in first would feel like redemption.

If you want to pooh pooh the importance of the ACC Tournament, that's fine, I won't argue with you. I just feel that K will be stressing this weekend moreso than usual.

Rich
03-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Put me in the "let's go win in Brooklyn" camp. This team, more than any recent team I can recall, seems like it would really benefit from winning four games in a row and coming home with a new banner for Cameron Indoor. Something to build on for the weeks ahead.

Also, given the extraordinary expectations placed on this team before they ever hit the court, to come in first would feel like redemption.

If you want to pooh pooh the importance of the ACC Tournament, that's fine, I won't argue with you. I just feel that K will be stressing this weekend moreso than usual.

It's really a tough call for me.

If you could, would you take an ACC Tourney Championship that leaves Grayson at 75% for the NCAA or a second game loss to a higher seed that gives Grayson a full week to get to 100%?

Who knows if this is the case, but it could be. A full week off for a sprained ankle could be just what the doctor ordered.

OldPhiKap
03-05-2017, 12:31 PM
I honestly could care less . . . .

How much less?

Rich
03-05-2017, 12:48 PM
How much less?

Less than the value of AFL's comments on this discussion board.

BandAlum83
03-05-2017, 01:06 PM
How much less?

I couldN'T care less what anyone else thinks, I love the ACC tourney and want us to win it.

Don't hold back!

Wahoo2000
03-05-2017, 01:42 PM
Looks like the 2 seed has the easiest path to the final game. Who knew?

Actually, I think my Hoos have a great draw. We're projected (per KenPom) be double digit faves vs GT or Pitt, 7-8 point faves vs ND, and even 4-5 point favorites vs FSU. It's certainly possible the public could move those numbers, especially as we get deeper into the tournament, but I still think we'll be faves to even in all our games excepting a potential finals appearance vs UNC.

It'll still be a massive challenge, but I can't imagine a better path for any team that missed a double-bye.

Olympic Fan
03-05-2017, 01:51 PM
One win may get Duke a 4 seed. Getting a 3 will require a finals appearance.

Think this is right ---

One thing to keep in mind -- almost everybody in college basketball will lose this week. Losing isn't going to impact your seeding very much.

But WHO you lose to can hurt or help.

A loss to Clemson or NC State could end up knocking Duke down a line. A loss to Louisville is not a bad loss and leaves Duke exactly where it probably is today -- a solid No. 4 seed.

A deep tournament run could very well improve Duke's seed to a three or even a two (with a tourney title). I don't think there is a hard and fast correlation -- win two and get a three or win three and get a three -- but beat Louisville and it gives us a chance for a three ... beat Louisville and UNC and I would think we are certainly a three.

As for those of you who don't care about the ACC Championship ... I strongly disagree with you.

This program plays for championships and this is one of the big ones -- THE ACC championship.

We currently lead the Cheaters 19-18 in ACC championships, but we haven't won one since 2011. That's a five year drought -- six is the longest under Coach K.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-05-2017, 01:55 PM
Actually, I think my Hoos have a great draw.. .

I still think we'll be faves to even in all our games excepting a potential finals appearance vs UNC.

That would be a great draw, but I am sorry to report that you won't be facing UNC in the finals.

Troublemaker
03-05-2017, 02:16 PM
It's certainly possible the public could move those numbers, especially as we get deeper into the tournament, but I still think we'll be faves to even in all our games excepting a potential finals appearance vs UNC.

Duke would be a small favorite over the Hoos as well, but I agree that you guys have a nice draw. (If you disagree, let's hope we both make it to the final, and then we'll find out who's right about the favorite.)

Think this is right ---

One thing to keep in mind -- almost everybody in college basketball will lose this week. Losing isn't going to impact your seeding very much.

But WHO you lose to can hurt or help.

A loss to Clemson or NC State could end up knocking Duke down a line. A loss to Louisville is not a bad loss and leaves Duke exactly where it probably is today -- a solid No. 4 seed.

A deep tournament run could very well improve Duke's seed to a three or even a two (with a tourney title). I don't think there is a hard and fast correlation -- win two and get a three or win three and get a three -- but beat Louisville and it gives us a chance for a three ... beat Louisville and UNC and I would think we are certainly a three.

My odds are slightly different from yours. I think it's like this:

Beat Clemson/NCSU, and Duke locks in at least a 4 seed.

Beat Louisville, and Duke locks in at least a 3 seed.

Advance to the final, and Duke is still a 3 seed most likely.

Win the championship, and Duke has a 50/50 chance at being a 2 seed. We'll need certain teams around the country to lose.

gocanes0506
03-05-2017, 02:24 PM
I want to win while resting Grayson. He proved last night that he still isn't himself. Go big and play Bolden more. Have Tatum, Jackson, and Amile be more of the O. Tell Jones our success depends on him hitting a couple of threes. Improve the confidence of everyone outside of Luke. If they make it past Louisville, then consider playing Grayson against the Holes.

gocanes0506
03-05-2017, 02:26 PM
Duke would be a small favorite over the Hoos as well, but I agree that you guys have a nice draw. (If you disagree, let's hope we both make it to the final, and then we'll find out who's right about the favorite.)

My odds are slightly different from yours. I think it's like this:

Beat Clemson/NCSU, and Duke locks in at least a 4 seed.

Beat Louisville, and Duke locks in at least a 3 seed.

Advance to the final, and Duke is still a 3 seed most likely.

Win the championship, and Duke has a 50/50 chance at being a 2 seed. We'll need certain teams around the country to lose.

I don't see how Duke wouldn't be a 2 seed if they win the championship. Adding 4 wins with 3 against top 25 teams. They already have a strong resume with a bunch of top 50 wins.

WVDUKEFAN
03-05-2017, 02:38 PM
I looked at the Bracetology on ESPN. Regardless of our NCAA seed, there are a couple teams that concern me. I think we can beat anyone on a neutral court, but most anywhere we travel isn't neutral. We're equally hated from coast to coast. Some of the projected seeds are not too bad, but there are some head scratchers as well. I don't see Kentucky as 2 seed; Butler as a 3 is generous. Louisville is a legit 2 and really should be a 1 over Gonzaga.

Troublemaker
03-05-2017, 02:41 PM
I don't see how Duke wouldn't be a 2 seed if they win the championship. Adding 4 wins with 3 against top 25 teams. They already have a strong resume with a bunch of top 50 wins.

It'll be close, imo. Nova, KU, UNC, and Zaga are all locks to be at least 2 seeds. That leaves 4 slots open (in the top 8 overall seeds). Oregon and Kentucky are likely to be at least 2 seeds. Now we're down to 2 slots open, and we have a number of teams ahead of us right now in what essentially is a ladder system. Lose and move down; win and move up or maintain.

WakeDevil
03-05-2017, 02:48 PM
The tournament is biggest for Wake and Syracuse. Wake needs to avoid the bad loss, and Syracuse probably needs to win its first game and maybe another one. A weak OOC schedule does not help.

http://thebiglead.com/2017/03/05/the-tournament-bubble-is-strong-and-todays-missouri-valley-final-is-a-wildcard/

Wahoo2000
03-05-2017, 03:21 PM

Kenpom has us with a near 4pt edge on a neutral court. Public money would be all over Duke though, so you may be right on the Vegas odds. Doubt either team would be giving more than 1/1.5. I hope we get the chance to find out what the line would be though, since that would mean we got to the tourney final, likely improving our NCAA seed at least 1 or 2 spots from where we're currently projected.

I can't believe in a "rebuilding year" we're still a top 15ish team and projected to get a top 4 seed. That would have been a banner year under Gillen or Leitao. Thank goodness for Tony Bennett.

dukelifer
03-05-2017, 03:30 PM

Winning matters for sure. Will take some a huge team effort but someone is going to need to play very well for 4 games. Maybe Jackson. He seems to be peaking.

Troublemaker
03-05-2017, 03:44 PM
Kenpom has us with a near 4pt edge on a neutral court. Public money would be all over Duke though, so you may be right on the Vegas odds. Doubt either team would be giving more than 1/1.5. I hope we get the chance to find out what the line would be though, since that would mean we got to the tourney final, likely improving our NCAA seed at least 1 or 2 spots from where we're currently projected.

I can't believe in a "rebuilding year" we're still a top 15ish team and projected to get a top 4 seed. That would have been a banner year under Gillen or Leitao. Thank goodness for Tony Bennett.

I like that Bennett has been committing a bit more to the 4-guard lineup and giving Guy and Jerome more minutes. That's been a good move for the offense. I was actually concerned he would use it more against Duke in the game in Cville, but he didn't.

As for the potential Duke/UVA spread, KenPom actually likes UVA more than most computer systems (http://www.masseyratings.com/cb/compare.htm). Since the bookmakers will have their own math nerds with their own systems, most likely they won't rate UVA as highly as KenPom, either.

Plus, as you mentioned, the public perception. Recall that Duke was actually the favorite in the 2014 ACC Championship Game (http://www.covers.com/pageLoader/pageLoader.aspx?page=/data/ncb/results/2013-2014/boxscore882088.html). Ridiculous in hindsight, I know, but that's public perception for you.

Duke would be a 2.5-pt favorite in a potential ACC final with UVA, imo.

Papa John
03-05-2017, 03:57 PM
How much less?

Winner!

I'm bumfuzzled at the folks who want to see us lose in the first round of the ACC Tourney to get extra rest for the NCAAs... Good golly—this is what the whole season is about, the ACC and NCAA tournaments! We want to win them both, for chrissakes!

As for the draws... I'd be reluctant to put my money on FSU, but as Wahoo2000 correctly states, UVa is in a bit of a rebuild season this year, so I'd also be hesitant to push the chips in for the Cavs... That side of the bracket could end up being utter mayhem with Wake, VaTech and ND as well...

As for our side—brutal as well... Carolina gets to begin with Larranaga's Miami squad or Boeheim's Syracuse squad, either of which might feel a twinge of desperation to solidify their NCAA ticket... Then they likely get the winner of Duke-Louisville... If I were Carolina, I'd much rather play UVa, FSU, or ND than Duke or Louisville...

In short, the competitiveness of this bracket shows what an extraordinarily balanced league the ACC is this season. This is going to be one heck of a tournament, and the winner [whoever it will be] is going to have to run a gauntlet to wear the crown. Count me among those who would love to see our guys win that crown and pick up momentum heading into the NCAAs... Let's end the season on a 10-game winning streak!

arnie
03-05-2017, 04:15 PM
I'm pretty sure if we looked back upon Coach K's 13 ACC tournament titles, he played a short bench in every one of them.

Now, you could perhaps argue that this year is different because we have to win 4 games instead of 3 games, but that just means Duke can at least make it to the final. And, frankly, if we make it to the final, I'm going to feel like Duke is the favorite to win despite the 4 games in 4 days and no matter who comes out from the other side of the bracket.

Well I'm pretty sure if we looked back on the previous 13 titles, K only had to win 3 games (as you alluded to), but he also did as a higher seed. Additionally in his 2nd game, he didn't have to play a rested team and in his 3rd game, a team playing only their 2nd game in 2 nights. It will be a huge and from my perspective, an amazing accomplishment if we pull it off. Doesn't mean I think winning the ACC is unimportant, I just don't see it happening.

W&LHoo
03-05-2017, 04:22 PM
Actually, I think my Hoos have a great draw. We're projected (per KenPom) be double digit faves vs GT or Pitt, 7-8 point faves vs ND, and even 4-5 point favorites vs FSU. It's certainly possible the public could move those numbers, especially as we get deeper into the tournament, but I still think we'll be faves to even in all our games excepting a potential finals appearance vs UNC.

It'll still be a massive challenge, but I can't imagine a better path for any team that missed a double-bye.

I agree with my fellow wahoo here; I am as happy as I could be with a non-double-bye seeding. Honestly, I spent the entire last week just hoping we could get out of the 8/9 game. I'm quite confident in the team's ability to beat GT/Pitt, then match up well with ND. FSU will be a challenge, but you don't win tournaments without that.

You guys have, to my mind, a slightly tougher road. Presumably you'll handle Clemson, but Louisville and the Carolina seem like they might wear you out before hitting Virginia in the final :cool:

Troublemaker
03-05-2017, 04:45 PM
Winner!

I'm bumfuzzled at the folks who want to see us lose in the first round of the ACC Tourney to get extra rest for the NCAAs... Good golly—this is what the whole season is about, the ACC and NCAA tournaments! We want to win them both, for chrissakes!

Agreed. And I say that as someone who had previously been pushing for rest for Grayson and Amile. It's just obvious now that the coaching staff has opted against that (besides that one game for Grayson), and they believe they can get those guys healthy while still having them play games. And they might very well be succeeding with Amile and now also perhaps Grayson. Props to our training staff if so.

As such -- with the decision made -- why work against it? I'm rooting hard for the ACC title. And I firmly believe that a Duke that wins the ACC title has a greater chance of winning the NCAA title than a Duke that doesn't win it. It's not just the increased seeding but also the confidence that comes with being the conference champion.

Well I'm pretty sure if we looked back on the previous 13 titles, K only had to win 3 games (as you alluded to), but he also did as a higher seed. Additionally in his 2nd game, he didn't have to play a rested team and in his 3rd game, a team playing only their 2nd game in 2 nights. It will be a huge and from my perspective, an amazing accomplishment if we pull it off. Doesn't mean I think winning the ACC is unimportant, I just don't see it happening.

The odds are certainly against us. I won't argue against that.

I agree with my fellow wahoo here; I am as happy as I could be with a non-double-bye seeding. Honestly, I spent the entire last week just hoping we could get out of the 8/9 game. I'm quite confident in the team's ability to beat GT/Pitt, then match up well with ND. FSU will be a challenge, but you don't win tournaments without that.

You guys have, to my mind, a slightly tougher road. Presumably you'll handle Clemson, but Louisville and the Carolina seem like they might wear you out before hitting Virginia in the final :cool:

I don't think I would write in chalk for this ACC tournament.

Devilwin
03-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Ah, for the good old days, when Duke didn't care who they played, or when, or where!

moonpie23
03-06-2017, 11:52 AM
Ah, for the good old days, when Duke didn't care who they played, or when, or where!

this so much it hurts to think about it.........remember when people feared playing duke?

rtnorthrup
03-06-2017, 12:01 PM
Obligatory old man, get off my lawn, things were better back in my day, rant:

This current set up is a travesty, and a mockery of all that Les Robinson fought for and stood for.

Troublemaker
03-06-2017, 02:49 PM

this so much it hurts to think about it....remember when people feared playing duke?

How do we measure this fear?

I gotta think there are a lot of fans of projected 1-seed teams who are hoping Duke picks up a win or two in the ACCT so we move off the 4-line...

Devilwin
03-06-2017, 04:02 PM
I still think they fear us. But there's no one they want to beat more.